Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Buy your next TV at... Ikea?

TGM
04-18-12, 08:38 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Nm7-EuctOs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Swedish semi-disposable furniture retailer Ikea has introduced a new smart TV. It's called the "Uppleva," a word unpronounceable in human language, and meant as a cross between a television and a piece of furniture.

The internet-compatible Uppleva features a built in Blu-Ray and DVD player, FM radio, MP3 input, hidden speakers and a wireless sub-woofer. Everything can be operated from a single remote control, and the whole shebang is absent of visible wires and other television-related eyesores. All that's missing is a built in game system, although there is extra space for a PS3 and 360.

It comes in three screen sizes, and prices will start around $960, but you'll be able to add expense if you'd like to customize it a bit. Sadly, it's not going to be available in the U.S. until 2013.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/722954/ikea-introduces-smart-tv/

Groucho
04-18-12, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure I'm up to assembling a tv set. :eek:

The Cow
04-18-12, 09:12 PM
It's called the "Uppleva," a word unpronounceable in human language

:hscratch:

Eddie W
04-18-12, 10:26 PM
It's called the "Uppleva," a word unpronounceable in human language

I'm just going to call it "Prince" until it decides to change it's name to something people can say.

Numanoid
04-18-12, 10:33 PM
Blue stockings with a dress, not a good look.

soundman2
04-23-12, 09:58 AM
With a 5 year warranty - may not be bad for a 2nd / bedroom TV. Considering all the mainstream manufacturers are slowly decreasing the warranty time period.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
04-23-12, 10:44 AM
That video looks like some sci-fi movie that came from Eastern Europe in the 80s.

Ikea makes cheap stuff that costs too much in the first place. Anyone buying this stuff gets exactly what they deserve.

milo bloom
04-23-12, 10:19 PM
I can't stand all the Ikea bashing from folks just trying to sound cool. We've got stuff going on ten years old that is in great shape, and would be in even better shape if we hadn't moved it around so much.

It's likely this is a rebrand of something else, so it's not like it's particleboard and hex screws.

SethDLH
04-23-12, 11:45 PM
I can't put together a table from them in a reasonable amount of time... add in electronics to their stuff and I'm sure I'd be burned on the warranty time limit by the time I turned on the set for the first time.

Pizza
04-23-12, 11:50 PM
I've got my screwdriver and soldering gun ready. Bring it on Ikea.

nickdawgy
04-24-12, 03:18 AM
That video looks like some sci-fi movie that came from Eastern Europe in the 80s.

Ikea makes cheap stuff that costs too much in the first place. Anyone buying this stuff gets exactly what they deserve.

You're crazy. Ikea stuff is cheap and awesome.

milo bloom
04-24-12, 11:05 AM
I can't put together a table from them in a reasonable amount of time... add in electronics to their stuff and I'm sure I'd be burned on the warranty time limit by the time I turned on the set for the first time.

Taking your time with the assembly has always been my Ikea secret. I take my time, make sure to tighten every screw and bolt, and periodically re-tighten the bolts over the years, and we've had stuff last for years.

We've also bought used pieces that were clearly not assembled correctly and they've always been flimsy.

RichC2
04-24-12, 11:16 AM
Ikea stuff is like uber-Target (alright Target rips them off), it's well made, semi-stylish, cheap furniture that tends to last longer than it has any right to. I like em.

Pizza
04-24-12, 11:24 AM
I store my DVDs in Ikea furniture. It's good, inexpensive stuff. I even enjoy putting it together.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
04-24-12, 11:39 AM
You're crazy. Ikea stuff is cheap and awesome.

If you ever own quality furniture, paying more for a certain brand of fiberboard furniture is insane.

Who would want to buy electronics from a place like that? People that own electronics made by Sorny and Magnabox?

Spiky
04-24-12, 12:17 PM
Taking your time with the assembly has always been my Ikea secret. I take my time, make sure to tighten every screw and bolt, and periodically re-tighten the bolts over the years, and we've had stuff last for years.

We've also bought used pieces that were clearly not assembled correctly and they've always been flimsy.
Ditto. I also add glue to each of those dowel connections. Usually means I don't have to re-tighten much.

It's pretty hard to find quality furniture that can beat Ikea anywhere near the same price. And with young kids there isn't much point in letting them destroy something that cost 5 times as much.

I have no interest in an over-priced TV, though. I thought it was just Apple and Samsung competing over mythical "smart" TVs. I guess everyone wants in.

davidh777
04-25-12, 01:47 PM
Seems like a lot of things could go wrong in such a multi-purpose device.