DVD Talk
Which are you more excited for: Avengers or Dark Knight Rises? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Which are you more excited for: Avengers or Dark Knight Rises?

The Antipodean
04-18-12, 07:35 PM
Of this summer's two main superhero blockbusters, which gets you going most - or none of them? (I won't include Spider-Man as it doesn't seem to be quite as eagerly awaited).

Troy Stiffler
04-18-12, 07:37 PM
Dark Knight Rises. I like Whedon and think that Avengers will be a good one. But it's not even close.

gp1086
04-18-12, 07:37 PM
The Dark Knight Rises - easily. I LOVE The Dark Knight and it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

I wasn't even that excited for The Avengers until I started hearing the good buzz after the premiere. Watched Thor for the first time last night too and was surprised how much I enjoyed it, so that helps as well.

Actually pretty excited for the new Spider-Man too.

GreenVulture
04-18-12, 07:58 PM
I choose Prometheus.

fumanstan
04-18-12, 08:02 PM
Avengers has me more excited right now. The bits and pieces from Dark Knight Rises haven't been all that great to me.

Mr. Salty
04-18-12, 08:18 PM
Prometheus, then Avengers, then Dark Knight Rises.

Dan
04-18-12, 08:21 PM
Voted for Dark Night Rises, but the scale is more like this:

1. Prometheus
2. Dark Knight Rises
3. Avengers

mndtrp
04-18-12, 08:25 PM
Voted for Dark Night Rises, but the scale is more like this:

1. Prometheus
2. Dark Knight Rises
3. Avengers

I'd go with this, too.

JumpCutz
04-18-12, 08:31 PM
The Avengers.

Didn't really care for TDK and don't really care about TDKR.

Prometheus is my most eagerly anticipated summer film.

Pizza
04-18-12, 08:31 PM
Avengers assemble!

bcd
04-18-12, 08:35 PM
I chose The Avengers. At this point this is the third Batman movie, I loved the first two and am pretty sure that DKR will be awesome. But I am more excited for the Avengers because who the fuck would have thought that the Avengers movie that is coming out would be even fucking possible. Having Characters from four separate movie franchises coming together on the big screen has the potential to make this EPIC

Edit - to change DNR to DKR, I am sure that a movie on The Department of Natural Resources, Dolby Noise Reduction, Do Not Resuscitate, would not be nearly as good as the Avengers

TheMovieman
04-18-12, 08:36 PM
TDKR as I'm a big Batman fan and it's the final movie of the trilogy, though I am interested in The Avengers and Prometheus...

Mike86
04-18-12, 08:53 PM
They're really pretty close for me so I chose can't decide. I'm more of a Batman fan at heart so I'm probably slightly more excited for The Dark Knight Rises but The Avengers looks awesome too.

Prometheus should be really good as well and even though I'm not very excited for it I know I'll see The Amazing Spider-Man.

My Other Self
04-18-12, 09:00 PM
Dark Knight

GoldenJCJ
04-18-12, 09:04 PM
The Dark Knight Rises.

I'm starting to get burned out from all the publicity from The Avengers and the movie hasn't even opened yet! Fucking promotion is EVERYWHERE!

With the exception of a bootleg teaser trailer (and the thread here which I've started to avoid due to too many spoilers), I haven't seen jack shit as far as publicity from TDKR.

And yes I know The Avengers is opening soon and TDKR still has a few months to go but that doesn't change the fact that I'm already sick of The Avengers hype.

Prometheus looks like a badass superhero flick. :lol: Thanks for bringing it up.

PopcornTreeCt
04-18-12, 09:04 PM
Prometheus
--a bunch of movies--
The Dark Knight Rises

and then I'll catch the Avengers on HBO.

Hokeyboy
04-18-12, 09:50 PM
Prometheus, then TDKR, then Avengers. But I'm bugfuck for all 3 so this is gonna be a fun summer movie season. Brave looks good and I'm even cautiously looking forward to Spidey.

Solid Snake
04-18-12, 09:52 PM
I chose The Avengers. At this point this is the third Batman movie, I loved the first two and am pretty sure that DNR will be awesome. But I am more excited for the Avengers because who the fuck would have thought that the Avengers movie that is coming out would be even fucking possible. Having Characters from four separate movie franchises coming together on the big screen has the potential to make this EPIC

In most cases we've seen DNR is horrid.

If Prometheus was added it'd be like this:

Prometheus
The Avengers
TDKR

The Avengers i'm excited for cuz literally this film shouldn't have happened..but it has amazingly. TDKR is last cuz I already know what to kind of expect but I'm still very excited. Avengers is just really neat that they actually got the damn thing made.

PopcornTreeCt
04-18-12, 10:00 PM
I chose The Avengers. At this point this is the third Batman movie, I loved the first two and am pretty sure that DNR will be awesome. But I am more excited for the Avengers because who the fuck would have thought that the Avengers movie that is coming out would be even fucking possible. Having Characters from four separate movie franchises coming together on the big screen has the potential to make this EPIC

It definitely sounds that way... but 2 of the characters only received separate movie franchises because of The Avengers.

DonnachaOne
04-18-12, 10:06 PM
I'm sure they'll both be fine, but they're right on par with Seeking a Friend at the End of the World and Moonrise Kingdom for me.

mike7162
04-18-12, 10:17 PM
Dark Knight by a country mile.

bcd
04-18-12, 10:43 PM
It definitely sounds that way... but 2 of the characters only received separate movie franchises because of The Avengers.

They are planning Captain America 2 and Thor 2, and Iron Man 3 I am assuming that they might get around to doing another Hulk movie sooner or later. If not then it is only three.

I get what you are saying in that if it weren't for the Avengers we might not have sequels to Captain America and Thor. I chose to look at it like they brought four major characters who had their own major summer blockbuster type movies together for a Marvel Orgy of awesome! My use of the word franchise was potentially incorrect depending on your interrpretaion of meaning. This was my interpretaion : a film that is or has the potential to be part of a series and lends itself to merchandising

bluetoast
04-18-12, 10:48 PM
Dark Knight by a lot. It doesn't hurt that The Avengers comes out next week, so the wait is pretty minimal.

Supermallet
04-18-12, 10:51 PM
The Avengers. I love Batman, loved BB and TDK, but for some reason I'm not as excited for TDKR. I'm sure I'll love it once I see it, but I cannot wait for The Avengers. I've enjoyed all the Marvel Studios movies up to this point, and I can't wait to see them all interacting together. I also am so happy that Joss Whedon is getting this chance to helm such a big film, and that he got to write it.

So yeah, Avengers for me.

Cardsfan111
04-18-12, 11:08 PM
The Dark Knight Rises

I'm excited to think about the entire movie forum being dominated by threads about it. ;)

fumanstan
04-18-12, 11:20 PM

Disagree, movies were going to be made with various Marvel characters anyway.

Maxflier
04-18-12, 11:43 PM
Prometheus.
And this is coming from a HUGE Batman fan. The Nolan movies just haven't done a whole lot for me.

Mondo Kane
04-18-12, 11:56 PM
Loved DK, but I'm way more eager to see Avengers.

RoboDad
04-19-12, 12:05 AM
Avengers, by far.

I've never been a big Nolan fan, and his interpretation of Batman has not really struck any kind of chord with me. The movies are good, but not great for me.

Downey, on the other hand, has so nailed the Tony Stark character that he is now my favorite screen superhero. So, that plus the fact that I loved First Avenger, make The Avengers my most anticipated movie.

But I will say that Prometheus looks very promising as well.

JesseCuster
04-19-12, 05:42 AM
Prometheus first, because it has a real chance to be a touchstone science fiction film not just of the last few years but in the totality of modern cinema. It really may be that good and profound.

The Dark Knight Rises next and any other time, it would have been first. The trailer and some of the rumors floating around are extremely intersting. And Chris Nolan is a genius director.

The Avengers third. I love Joss Whedon but I'm not certain if he won't always be better suited for TV, smaller projects and involvement in bright indie fare like The Cabin in the Woods. Looking at the trailer for Prometheus and The Avengers back to back it was like comparing Texas to Rhode Island. I think the Avengers is going to be *very* good but much more clever and smart than epic. It left me feeling like I did after seeing Serenity - wonderful and immensely enjoyable but basically a very expensive extended television episode.

EdTheRipper
04-19-12, 06:13 AM
Dark Knight.

Charlie Goose
04-19-12, 06:52 AM
DKR, because TDK was so completely excellent and I expect more of the same.

I'm looking forward to The Avengers as well, but it seems like a crowded movie and has the potential to be a disaster. Plus, the way the individual movies were made, I don't really buy Iron Man being in the same universe as Thor and Cap. Hulk, maybe.

starman9000
04-19-12, 07:13 AM
My summer excitement list is probably:

Moonrise Kingdom
Avengers
Prometheus
TDNR

They are all close, but I tend to like 'fun' more when it comes to seeing moves at the theater, so Avengers beats out the other two, even though I'll probably ultimately like them better.

Trevor
04-19-12, 07:22 AM
Prometheus by more distance than exists in the galaxy.

Avengers and Dark Knight Rises are pretty equal for me. Love them both, but TDK isn't holding up to repeat viewings as well as I initially thought it would. I think I'd like it better if Batman never spoke.

FantasticVSDoom
04-19-12, 08:30 AM
Avengers by far... Ledger's Joker is what made TDK compelling imo, and although Im interested in seeing Hardy as Bane, everything Ive seen for the Avengers has made me more and more excited.

mdc3000
04-19-12, 08:33 AM
I absolutely flipped out for both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, so TDKR is something I have been really anticipating and am sure to love. That said, I'm losing my mind with anticipation for THE AVENGERS. I've always been a Marvel guy and a Whedon fanboy, so this movie is tailor made for me ;) Can't. Fucking. Wait.

lisadoris
04-19-12, 08:46 AM
Dark Knight Rises.

I wasn't impressed by Thor, Captain America, or the last Iron Man film so I'm not really feeling The Avengers yet.

Meglos
04-19-12, 08:59 AM
Avengers by far... Ledger's Joker is what made TDK compelling imo, and although Im interested in seeing Hardy as Bane, everything Ive seen for the Avengers has made me more and more excited.

This pretty much. Bane and Catwoman = meh. The Hulk = been a fan of that guy since 1981.

Jaymole
04-19-12, 09:00 AM
Prometheus by far...but I chose Avengers for the poll. The Dark Knight Rises trailer didn't thrill me as much as I was hoping.

Dr. DVD
04-19-12, 09:12 AM
Dark Knight Rises, though Prometheus is about to overtake it.

inri222
04-19-12, 09:18 AM
Others

Friedkin's Killer Joe & Cronenberg's Cosmopolis

Killer Joe has a limited release in July.
Cosmopolis does not have a release date yet as far as I know.

ytrez
04-19-12, 09:20 AM
Easily the Avengers.

I wasn't a big fan of Batman Begins and, while Heath Ledger was excellent, The Dark Knight left me cold with the nonsense of portraying Batman as a villain to preserve the legacy of Harvey Dent (hello, blame everything on the Joker, not Batman you a-holes).

d2cheer
04-19-12, 09:23 AM
Prometheus by far...but I also chose Avengers for the poll. Not a Batman fan at all so I will wait for dvd to rent that one just to see it. Did the same for the last two as well.

Tom Creo
04-19-12, 09:39 AM
Avengers, been there done that with Batman.

Hope Prometheus is good otherwise this is gonna be one disappointed forum.

TomOpus
04-19-12, 10:04 AM
I chose Avengers for the poll but now I wish I had picked Other for Prometheus.

Not looking that forward to Dark Knight Rises because I really liked Dark Knight solely due to the Joker and I don't see a villian with that much screen presence and charisma in the new one.

kefrank
04-19-12, 10:30 AM
The Dark Knight Rises is an easy answer for me.

The only feed-in to the Avengers that I thought was really good was the first Iron Man and even that one I had some issues with. I do like Joss Whedon and I'm sure I'll have a fun time in the theater seeing the Avengers, but I'm not anticipating it all that much.

I'm very interested in Prometheus, but some of the hyperbole being thrown around about it is pretty silly. At this point, I'm expecting a beam of heavenly light to stream down from the hand of God into each theater showing Prometheus to project its perfection onto the screen.

Deftones
04-19-12, 10:40 AM
TDKR since Batman is my favorite superhero of all time. Avengers is a close second, though.

musick
04-19-12, 11:09 AM
Avengers by far .... nuff said

Maxflier
04-19-12, 11:14 AM
So many people saying Prometheus in their replies and yet the 'other' choice in the poll only has 6 votes...

superdeluxe
04-19-12, 11:38 AM
More eager for Avengers, since that is something I have always wanted to see on screen, and with the build up of all the avenger characters leading into this moment, makes me really want to see it.

I've seen a ton of the Dark Knight.

hasslein
04-19-12, 12:37 PM
Ruffalo as Banner should be interesting

Preterite
04-19-12, 01:12 PM
Avengers. We've already had two helpings of Nolan's Batman, but this is the first time we're going to see the Avengers on the big screen*.

And we don't know if The Dark Rises will be as awesome as TDK or just okay like Batman Begins.

*Preemptive strike on the pedantry: live-action, together.

JumpCutz
04-19-12, 01:42 PM
Friedkin's Killer Joe

Oh yes. :thumbsup:

Kal-El
04-19-12, 02:11 PM
More excited for the Avengers, but I think TDKR will surprise me more, much like TDK did.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-19-12, 02:31 PM
Avengers. I'm just not feeling the hype for TDKR like there was for TDK. Batman films live and die with the villian, and I don't think people are hyped for Bane like they were for the Joker (at least I'm not).

Dubya
04-19-12, 02:32 PM
The Dark Knight Rises as I would go out on a very short limb and say it will be a much better film than Avengers (even though it will be cool to see all of the characters in Avengers on screen at the same time).

I'm not holding high hopes for Prometheus because 1) I'm not that much of a sci-fi fan and more importantly 2) Ridley Scott hasn't made a good film since Black Hawk Down. Hopefully he will pull it off but I'm skeptical.

brayzie
04-19-12, 04:58 PM
The Dark Knight because 1) Bane looks like a great new villain and 2) I'm interested in how it will tie into the previous films.

The Avengers looks okay but it's just the same characters from the other movies, and even the villain is the same from THOR. The actor that portrays Loki is awesome but I'm more interested in seeing him in THOR II, with more of the Norse mythology than the more cheesy Skrull Marvel stuff.

And Spider-man does look good, but the Lizard is not a big enough draw for me to want to see Spider-man 4. Plus, it's rebooted so we'll never find out what happens with Mary Jane and Peter.

kgrogers1979
04-19-12, 05:33 PM
Plus, it's rebooted so we'll never find out what happens with Mary Jane and Peter.

They traded their relationship for a reboot of the franchise.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2715/mephisto.png

The Black
04-19-12, 06:07 PM
Definetly The Dark Knight Rises.
Not even bothered about The Avengers.

PopcornTreeCt
04-20-12, 12:38 AM
Disagree, movies were going to be made with various Marvel characters anyway.

Maybe eventually they would've been made years from now but watching Captain America, it's painfully obvious that it was made to tie in with The Avengers.

Charlie Goose
04-20-12, 01:25 AM
Let's all join hands and agree that it's going to be a great summer for movies!

RAH-HOO-ROR-RAY
RAH-HOO-ROR-RAY

Supermallet
04-20-12, 01:40 AM
Maybe eventually they would've been made years from now but watching Captain America, it's painfully obvious that it was made to tie in with The Avengers.

And yet was the most enjoyable of all the pre-Avengers Marvel Studios movies.

PhantomStranger
04-20-12, 01:47 AM
I would be much more excited about the Avengers if Norton had remained the Hulk. My pick was Dark Knight Rises simply because I trust Nolan to deliver a great movie more than Whedon, whose specialty is really long-form television.

MasterofDVD
04-20-12, 03:09 AM
I'm picking The Avengers.

I've enjoyed parts of the Nolan Batman films but I still don't see how The Dark Knight became the huge hit that it did. I'm not saying The Avengers will do better but I will personally get far more entertainment out of it.

fumanstan
04-20-12, 03:14 AM

There were plans for all these movies when Iron Man was being developed. I don't think Captain America's story would have changed much, it would have always ended with him frozen. :shrug:

Paul_SD
04-20-12, 04:09 AM
Avengers.
I think Whedon, over the course of his career, has demonstrated the ability to tell fantasy based stories very well. He has a classical regard for structure and using dialogue to reveal character, and advance plot points, and at the same time be entertaining in and of itself. The thing I care the least about is whether the shape of the screen is 'scope or 1.85. I fully expect Whedon will make me care what happens within that screen shape, which is all that matters to me.

As far as Nolan, he's a very ambitious filmmaker with some very annoying and amateurish flaws (imo). I fully expect TDKR, for good and ill, to hit the same levels of competence as the previous films.
However since this film will lack the distraction of containing one of the most iconic villains of the last 100 years, compounded by the enormous sympathy engendered by the loss of an overwhelmingly likable actor of the same generation as the films prime demographic, I expect more people will be able to see more clearly the weaknesses in the material and execution this time.
In other words, while I expect TDKR will be just fine and up to the level of the first two (and could easily be even better in terms of structure and other finer points) It probably won't be lionized nearly as much as the previous film.

The Bus
04-20-12, 04:56 AM
<b>Prometheus</b>, then <b>Dark Knight</b> (if only because the last Batman movie was better than any of the last iteration of Marvel movies), then <b>Avengers</b> (which probably would rank higher if they had hired a good trailer editor).

Paul_SD
04-20-12, 05:44 AM
Prometheus looks the single, absolute, must-see of any of the summer movies- but I'm really torn with this one.

I love the first Alien film and hold it dear for a bunch of reasons. I'm not excited about seeing something that is likely going to destroy all the mystery of a favorite movie by unveiling a whole lot of hidden backstory. I wish it weren't tied in at all, even if it's just sideways tangential.

Tom Creo
04-20-12, 08:29 AM
Thats my fear as well with Prometheus.

kefrank
04-20-12, 10:48 AM
My pick was Dark Knight Rises simply because I trust Nolan to deliver a great movie more than Whedon, whose specialty is really long-form television.
I agree, though based on Serenity, I think Whedon definitely has the chops to deliver an above average feature-length film. To me, Serenity is arguably the best sci-fi film of the 2000s and that would be true even if the Firefly TV show never existed. It's great as a standalone movie and even better with Firefly adding context.

kefrank
04-20-12, 11:03 AM
However since this film will lack the distraction of containing one of the most iconic villains of the last 100 years, compounded by the enormous sympathy engendered by the loss of an overwhelmingly likable actor of the same generation as the films prime demographic, I expect more people will be able to see more clearly the weaknesses in the material and execution this time.
Your hilarious misreading of why people like The Dark Knight never gets old. :lol:

Shannon Nutt
04-20-12, 11:34 AM
Prometheus for me...I think I know too much about The Dark Knight Rises to get excited. That, and the fact that I don't think it's going to be a great film (I'll be surprised if it's even a "good" one, but we'll see). As I've said in another thread, I actually think the new Spider-man movie is going to be better than the new Batman film.

DJLinus
04-20-12, 11:49 AM
Avengers for me. I was a Marvel guy back in my comic collecting days, so this movie is a dream come true.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it's like when Iron Man and The Dark Knight were released. I thought TDK was a better movie, but I had more fun watching IM.

Cardiff Giant11
04-20-12, 12:50 PM
Prometheus is by far my #1 movie of the summer if not all year (and probably the year before it).

Then I'd have to say Dark Knight Rises, Sound of my Voice, and Avengers fourth.

islandclaws
04-20-12, 01:02 PM
Between these two, The Avengers. It looks like a helluva lot of fun. I'm also eager to see TDKR, but I'm just not feeling the hype like I was for TDK. Maybe once it gets closer I'll begin to salivate.

Ash Ketchum
04-20-12, 04:20 PM
I was never a fan of Anne Hathaway, partly because I always thought she'd be better in villain or femme fatale parts than the goody-two-shoes characters she's been playing. But she looks so awesome as Catwoman that I'm finally getting excited about TDKR. No one in AVENGERS has me that excited, not even Scarlett Johansson as the Scarlet Wi--I mean, Black Widow. (Not that big a fan of Miz Scarlett either.)

Mr. Cinema
04-20-12, 04:21 PM
I voted The Avengers and it was an easy choice.

And I know this isn't allowed on DVD Talk, but I'm kinda also more excited about The Amazing Spider-Man than I am TDKR.

Groucho
04-20-12, 04:23 PM
I don't dare reveal my vote in this poll. If I chose The Avengers, Nolan fans will fill my PM box with angry vile. If I chose The Dark Knight Rises, Whedonites will be calling for my head. Can't win!

kgrogers1979
04-20-12, 05:49 PM
I don't dare reveal my vote in this poll. If I chose The Avengers, Nolan fans will fill my PM box with angry vile. If I chose The Dark Knight Rises, Whedonites will be calling for my head. Can't win!

So you vote for the "psyched for both" option.

Groucho
04-20-12, 05:51 PM
Wish I thought of that before posting. Now I'm getting PMs from both groups (plus a few pissed Spider-Man and Prometheus fans as well).

DeputyDave
04-20-12, 07:08 PM
TDKR as I loved the first two (Begins more than TDK).

I was excited to see The Avengers until I saw the total turd-fests that were Captain America and Thor, now... meh. I'll watch it but not opening week or on IMAX.

inri222
04-23-12, 11:32 AM
Other :

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xWAMh1Li9Nc/T3Eu_f4IkhI/AAAAAAAAAH4/iT8Yv2kUy9o/s1600/BTBR+Front+Image.jpg

SuckaMC
04-23-12, 11:51 AM
I broke the tie in favor of The Avengers!

JohnnyMovie
04-26-12, 12:11 AM
I'm looking forward to see in both and I'll goes with The Dark Knight Rises!