Dick Clark has died of a Heart Attack

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dick Clark has died of a Heart Attack

according to TMZ:

Andy Levy ‏ @andylevy

TMZ reporting Dick Clark has died of a heart attack.

TMZ usually get these things right..if so..man so many good memories of New Year's and those practical joke shows.
Old 04-18-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Dick Clark has died of a Heart Attack

Wow.. now I feel bad for missing him last New Year's Eve.. Won't be the same..
Old 04-18-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Somewhere in L.A. Ryan Seacrest is smiling.
Old 04-18-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Somewhere in L.A. Ryan Seacrest is smiling.
Wonder if he will say something on American Idol tonight.
Old 04-18-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I thought he would live forever.
This is like a family member dying. I remember watching "American Bandstand" when I was a kid--the first show of its type that I remember watching. He once wrote a book of advice for teens--and I read it!

However, the last thing I saw him in was BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE where Michael Moore tries to interview him about minimum wage paid to workers at the Dick Clark restaurant franchise and Clark orders an assistant to close the door of his van to shut Moore out. (That was the last thing I saw Charlton Heston in also.)
Old 04-18-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

That's sad. Especially considering he's been in poor health since his stroke 8 years ago. He hasn't been the same, but he seemed to be living and functioning well.

Enjoyed his work on Bandstand, and TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes back in the 80's. I heard from a colleague who worked with him that he wasn't such a nice guy off camera.

RIP Mr. Clark
Old 04-18-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

rip
Old 04-18-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have bet the guy was older than 82...
Old 04-18-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

He and Ed McMahon created the original PunkD Super Bloopers and Practical Jokes
Old 04-18-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D153111

Dick Clark is dead after suffering a heart attack, according to TMZ. ABC confirmed the report.

The 82-year-old longtime TV producer and host had been at St. John's Hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure on Tuesday, according to TMZ. Clark reportedly suffered the heart attack following the procedure and died on Wednesday after unsuccessful attempts to resuscitate him.

Clark had a history of health problems. He suffered from Type 2 diabetes and in 2004, he had a stroke that forced him to retire as host of "New Years' Rockin' Eve," the program he created in 1972. Though Ryan Seacrest has since taken over, Clark made annual appearances.

Born and raised in New York state, Clark began his career in show business in high school in 1945 when he started working in the mailroom of a local radio station. Soon, he was promoted to weatherman and then, news announcer. Upon graduating from high school in 1947, he climbed the ladder at another local station and eventually found his way to WFIL, a radio and affiliated television station in Philadelphia in 1952.

There, Clark was given the opportunity to substitute host an afternoon teen dance show called "Bandstand." In 1956, he became the full-time host and the show was picked up by ABC and renamed "American Bandstand." On the first episode of the national show, Clark interviewed Elvis Presley.

Eventually, Clark produced "American Bandstand" for syndicated television and later, USA Network, until 1989.

Throughout his career, the small screen legend earned the nickname "America's Oldest Teenager" due to his eternally youthful appearance. In addition to "American Bandstand" and "New Year's Rockin' Eve," Clark also served as a longtime Top 40 radio countdown host, hosted five versions of the game show "Pyramid" since 1973, and served as chairman and chief executive officer of Dick Clark Productions, which he had sold part of in his final years.

Clark was married three times and has three children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

Ringing in 2013 will not feel the same.

This story is developing.
Old 04-18-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Why is everyone gushing over this guy? By most accounts, he was one of the biggest assholes in Hollywood. Does that change once you're dead?
Old 04-18-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I'll say it. RIP and all....Finally. He had a long distinguished career and he's been in terrible health for the last several of them. The worst part is he didn't know when to shut it down after his stroke...
Old 04-18-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Why is everyone gushing over this guy? By most accounts, he was one of the biggest assholes in Hollywood. Does that change once you're dead?
Thank you! I agree 100%. Clark was reportedly one of the biggest jerks to deal with in person, and I'm not just talking about Michael Moore's on camera encounter with him in BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. Clark was also connected to the payola scandal of the late 50s/early 60s - although he survived it, there's clear evidence he was involved in a lot of shady dealings with the record labels.

Career wise, he was the best music and TV producer in the business for a long, long time, but he was far from the world's greatest human being.
Old 04-18-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next you're going to tell us that Princes Diana wasn't as pius and giving as Mother Theresa!
Old 04-18-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Thank you! I agree 100%. Clark was reportedly one of the biggest jerks to deal with in person.
How's this then... Another HOLLYWOOD DICK has died!!!
Old 04-18-12, 04:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I loved that Pyramid show back when I was a kid.
Old 04-18-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Congratulations employees of Clark's American Bandstand Grills, you may now have a shot at working only 40 hours a week and making more than minimum wage!
Old 04-18-12, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RIP DC. I remember having to fight my parents to watch the first Dick Clark New Year's rockin eve show when Guy Lombardo reigned supreme on tv as the only new years show to watch. Hasn't been the same with Seacrest (doesn't help that the musical artists aren't as good as the ones Clark used to have).
Old 04-18-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I would have bet the guy was older than 82...
I was thinking the same thing. The joke always was about how the man never aged, and then he began to age really quick. It sort of made it more uncomfortable seeing him age because of that.

As a child of the '80s, I certainly have a lot of Dick Clark memories, whether it be from American Bandstand, Bloopers and Practical Jokes, New Year's Eve or the Pyramid.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Thank you! I agree 100%. Clark was reportedly one of the biggest jerks to deal with in person, and I'm not just talking about Michael Moore's on camera encounter with him in BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. Clark was also connected to the payola scandal of the late 50s/early 60s - although he survived it, there's clear evidence he was involved in a lot of shady dealings with the record labels.

Career wise, he was the best music and TV producer in the business for a long, long time, but he was far from the world's greatest human being.
I think Shannon Nutt sort of answers Double_Oh_7's question there. Asshole or not, he was an ace producer that people invited into their homes for many years. I don't see much gushing for Dick Clark as a human being, either, more of an acknowledgment of his accomplishments and the memories we have associated with them.
Old 04-18-12, 05:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

whose going to make me feel extremely uncomfortable and depressed on New Years Eve NOW???
Old 04-18-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
whose going to make me feel extremely uncomfortable and depressed on New Years Eve NOW???
Seacrest?
Old 04-18-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I respect Clark's work as a Producer and TV host. Hell, he produced one of the most underrated shows on TV that got cancelled prematurely (American Dreams) It's sad for me since he was such a prominent presence in TV for decades and was the picture of youth and health until his stroke. It was sad to see his health deteriorate over the last decade, even though he was still functioning and made occasional cameos on TV.

As I said in my post, one of my former colleagues knew him from working at Dick Clark Productions and said he wasn't so nice off camera.
Old 04-18-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I gave him props for Pyramid and NYE in the Otter thread. I completely forgot he produced American Dreams. That was easily one of the top-5 network shows of the last decade.
Old 04-18-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Just think about how much money they're paying Ryan Seacrest to host the show, and you'll be depressed in no time
Old 04-18-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I was sad to hear of his passing. He was a mainstay throughout my childhood and growing to adulthood.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.