Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Having a problem with certain titles on Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Having a problem with certain titles on Netflix

First of all, I'm streaming Netflix through my Denon DBP-1611UD BD player, hooked up via HDMI to my RCA 1080i DLP.

I've had mostly good luck with watching things on Netflix, movies and TV shows alike, but certain titles don't seem to want to play. They play ok on my computer, but not on the TV through the BD. You click to play the title, it buffers up, and then the screen just goes black and I see the "Unusable Signal" message, which usually means nothing is even hooked up to that input on the TV. But if I hit the stop button, it goes back to the Netflix screen that lets you play the title again or make other selections or whatnot.

I called Netflix, and after giving my info, she said she saw that Denon just put through a firmware upgrade today, and I should give it some time to hit my system, and that should solve the problem. I allowed several hours to pass, and according to the player's setup, there's still no firmware upgrade, and the titles still won't play.

As an example of one of the titles that won't play, and why I tend to think it's not my player that's the problem, Netflix just added a line of the "Classic Albums" DVDs. I watched the one for Rush's "2112" and "Moving Pictures" albums, and started to watch Def Leppard's "Hysteria". They both played fine. But Paul Simon's "Graceland" did the thing I described before...black screen.

There haven't been enough titles to make this a major issue. I'd say I've successfully viewed about 98% of what I've clicked play for. But it still seems strange that the bad titles will play on the computer but not my BD player.

Any ideas?
Old 04-18-12, 01:49 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Having a problem with certain titles on Netflix

Originally Posted by The Infidel
You click to play the title, it buffers up, and then the screen just goes black and I see the "Unusable Signal" message, which usually means nothing is even hooked up to that input on the TV.
I don't know if this will help. But I had a similar problem with my AppleTV a couple months back. I started getting a bad signal message on a couple Netflix movies. I could browse the menu fine, it only occurred when I tried to play some movies. I eventually found out the TV's HDMI port was failing.

So you might be having some HDMI handshake issues. Maybe you can try a new cable or a different port.
Old 04-18-12, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am at my wits end with Netflix. The service over the years has declined so much that I am now seriously considering cancelling my subscription. There is not even a way on their website to drop them an email and complain, you have to call them and spend time talking to someone after navigating the hold time. None of my selections are available, discs take more than a day to get turned around, discs arrive broken (three in one month). titles are not available or are a very long wiat, or constantly on short wait. It has gone from being a great service to a waste of time and money. Come on Netflix get it fixed or get a new CEO who can!
Old 04-18-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I don't know if this will help. But I had a similar problem with my AppleTV a couple months back. I started getting a bad signal message on a couple Netflix movies. I could browse the menu fine, it only occurred when I tried to play some movies. I eventually found out the TV's HDMI port was failing.

So you might be having some HDMI handshake issues. Maybe you can try a new cable or a different port.
I can understand that being a potential problem, but if that were the case, wouldn't it happen randomly with random titles, instead of the same ones each time?
Old 04-18-12, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Popeye2
I am at my wits end with Netflix. The service over the years has declined so much that I am now seriously considering cancelling my subscription. There is not even a way on their website to drop them an email and complain, you have to call them and spend time talking to someone after navigating the hold time. None of my selections are available, discs take more than a day to get turned around, discs arrive broken (three in one month). titles are not available or are a very long wiat, or constantly on short wait. It has gone from being a great service to a waste of time and money. Come on Netflix get it fixed or get a new CEO who can!
Although your comments don't really help my problem, I will say that the fact you can call them 24 hours a day is pretty convenient. I called them twice about the problem I outlined, and didn't have to wait more than a minute each time.