Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Liberal Arts (2012) - W/D: Josh Radnor, S: Radnor, Elizabeth Olsen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Newly single, 35, and uninspired by his job, Jesse Fisher worries that his best days are behind him. But no matter how much he buries his head in a book, life keeps pulling Jesse back. When his favorite college professor invites him to campus to speak at his retirement dinner, Jesse jumps at the chance. He is prepared for the nostalgia of the dining halls and dorm rooms, the parties and poetry seminars; what he doesn’t see coming is Zibby—a beautiful, precocious, classical-music-loving sophomore. Zibby awakens scary, exciting, long-dormant feelings of possibility and connection that Jesse thought he had buried forever.

The multitalented Josh Radnor once again returns to the Sundance Film Festival (HAPPYTHANKYOUMOREPLEASE won the 2010 dramatic Audience Award at Sundance), wearing three hats. As writer, director, and star of LIBERAL ARTS, Radnor could teach a master class in filmmaking. Given that his engaging costar is Elizabeth Olsen, the master class here is one in chemistry between two exceptional actors.
Saw this over the weekend at HIFF. A really great film. It's like a coming-of-age and coming-of-middle-age film combined. Radnor gives a serviceable performance (never quite shaking Ted Mosby), but Elizabeth Olsen is great. Between this and last year's Martha Marcy May Marlene, she has shown some great range for such a young actress, and is one to watch for the future.

Great supporting performances by Richard Jenkins and Allison Janney, and a nearly unrecognizable Zac Efron. A pleasing film, I give it 4 stars out of 5, and highly recommend it.
Old 08-06-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Liberal Arts (2012) - W/D: Josh Radnor, S: Radnor, Elizabeth Olsen

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BL7PcdTx6j8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-19-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Saw this over the weekend at HIFF. A really great film. It's like a coming-of-age and coming-of-middle-age film combined. Radnor gives a serviceable performance (never quite shaking Ted Mosby), but Elizabeth Olsen is great. Between this and last year's Martha Marcy May Marlene, she has shown some great range for such a young actress, and is one to watch for the future.

Great supporting performances by Richard Jenkins and Allison Janney, and a nearly unrecognizable Zac Efron. A pleasing film, I give it 4 stars out of 5, and highly recommend it.
Saw it earlier and basically agree. I've become a fan of both Olsen as well as Radnor (enjoyed "Happythankyoumoreplease") and the supporting cast is great (had to do a double take on Efron's appearances). In a way, this kind of reminded me of "Lost in Translation".
Old 12-19-12, 05:47 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

LOL I was going to bump this today too. Agree with everything that was said. I really loved this movie.
Old 12-19-12, 06:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love Elizabeth Olsen. Nice to know someone in that family has talent. Any time she is on the screen, this movie works.

I wasn't a huge fan of the idea of some schlubby guy who's uncertain of himself getting the attentions of women of all ages. Didn't feel very realistic.
Old 12-20-12, 12:48 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another Olsen fan here. I hope she continues to choose her projects wisely.
Old 12-20-12, 01:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

another indie film that superceded the crap that mainstream Hollywood released this year.
Old 12-20-12, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I love Elizabeth Olsen. Nice to know someone in that family has talent. Any time she is on the screen, this movie works.

I wasn't a huge fan of the idea of some schlubby guy who's uncertain of himself getting the attentions of women of all ages. Didn't feel very realistic.
I wonder if she gets along with her older sisters. I picture them crying it out on a bed of money while their kid sister gets constant critical praise.
Old 05-19-13, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I just finished watching this. After watching Radnor's happythankyoumoreplease earlier in the week and really liking it, I had to seek this one out. I liked it a lot. I think the cast was solid and, as a 35 year old guy myself, the story was something that I really connected with. There were quite a few bits of dialogue that really hit home for me. Radnor's 2 for 2 in my eyes and I look forward to whatever project he takes on next.
Old 05-19-13, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, this was a great little gem. Radnor often seems to play the same role time and again, but Olsen really shines in this. She really is quite the actress. Like Ed, I connected with this one quite a bit. Great story that really doesn't have the sterotypical "happy" ending, but I loved it all the same.
Old 05-19-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm also a fan of this film. I always love to see Liz Olsen....a talented actress.

May have to see this one again.