Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Linkin Park -- Living Things (06/26/2012)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those that care, Linkin Park's new single dropped today called "Burn It Down". Surprisingly, instead of just debuting the single they also debuted the album name and art as well. Looks like it's dropping at the end of June.

http://burnitdown.linkinpark.com/

I didn't care for Minutes to Midnight at all. To do a complete 180 from their first two albums was not only shocking but all of the songs were just complete garbage. A Thousand Suns was a step in the right direction but I couldn't listen to it more than a handful of times. This sounds like it may be more of the same. Joe Hahn's scratching is really missing in the song.. unfortunately Shinoda is completely focusing on LP and Fort Minor is nothing but an afterthought now. I'd like a follow up to The Rising Tied.

I realize bands need to explore new realms but I personally would just prefer another Hybrid Theory or Meteora and leave this experimental crap to side projects.
Old 04-16-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Linkin Park -- Living Things (06/26/2012)

I thought A Thousand Suns was complete garbage and is the only thing I don't have from them and I still refuse to buy it. The new single still has a hint of that sound, but their recent interviews said they were going back to familiar territory. So I guess we'll see come June. I sure hope so though, their first two albums rock.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind a follow up to The Rising Tied either
Old 04-17-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A thousand suns grew on me and this sounds like more of the same, so I'm looking forward to it. I met Mike Shinoda a few years ago and when I mentioned that I'd love to get another Fort Minor record, he basically told me it wasn't even something he was remotely thinking about doing...like ever.
Old 04-17-12, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Never thought much of these guys (or nu-metal in general) when they first came out, but this new song is actually pretty good. Much more mature than their early stuff. Might have to give them a closer look.
Old 04-17-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
A thousand suns grew on me and this sounds like more of the same, so I'm looking forward to it. I met Mike Shinoda a few years ago and when I mentioned that I'd love to get another Fort Minor record, he basically told me it wasn't even something he was remotely thinking about doing...like ever.
I guess it's kind of hard to top perfection.. I loved the production and guest appearances on The Rising Tied. To me it's a perfect album -- one where I don't have to skip over any songs. I still listen to it regularly. A shame he wouldn't consider making another one. Shinoda is a very talented rhymer; he doesn't seem to be going to good use in the post-Meteora LP.
Old 04-18-12, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I realize bands need to explore new realms but I personally would just prefer another Hybrid Theory or Meteora and leave this experimental crap to side projects.
You got two essentially identical albums in HT & Meteora. Honestly, I couldn't tell you which singles are off which album they blend together so well. I mean, once you're sitting on piles of money & getting tail in every city I imagine it's hard to still be mad about everything and yelling at the world.

I loved MtM because it was different, not a complete departure but obviously showed growth. I never gave 1000 Suns a listen, but from the sound of it, that one should have been a side project.
Old 04-18-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You got two essentially identical albums in HT & Meteora. Honestly, I couldn't tell you which singles are off which album they blend together so well. I mean, once you're sitting on piles of money & getting tail in every city I imagine it's hard to still be mad about everything and yelling at the world.

I loved MtM because it was different, not a complete departure but obviously showed growth. I never gave 1000 Suns a listen, but from the sound of it, that one should have been a side project.
Agree with all of this. Hybrid Theory and Meteora kept the same sound, Minutes to Midnight I disliked at first but grew to like as much as the first two albums, and Thousand Suns I just hated.

I like the new single, it sounds like more the Linkin Park I enjoyed.
Old 04-18-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't heard the new song yet, but it's interesting. You have people saying they like it because it keeps the same sound from A Thousand Suns, and other people saying they like it because it sounds more like old-school LP. Which is it?
Old 04-18-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by abrg923
I haven't heard the new song yet, but it's interesting. You have people saying they like it because it keeps the same sound from A Thousand Suns, and other people saying they like it because it sounds more like old-school LP. Which is it?
There's more electronic elements in A Thousand Suns so I'd compare it more to that. That whole aspect was missing from Minutes to Midnight. There they sounded like a generic rock band. Their sound was missing.

I know Hybrid Theory and Meteora sound nearly identical but that's why I like them. The fusion of rap and rock was just flawlessly done and they both were fun records. Oh well.
Old 04-19-12, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Linkin Park members have said themselves they've gone back to their roots a bit with this one. I think the vocals and beats are far closer to that more hard hitting nu-metal/rap rock sound from their first two albums. While they might be using more electronic elements, I already like this single more then anything out of Thousand Suns, which just felt... slow?

To me, it was A Thousand Suns that did the complete 180, while Minutes to Midnight was somewhere in between, maybe just 90 degrees

Either way, it sounds like maybe they're trying to blend together all the things they've done. +

http://www.nme.com/news/linkin-park/63308

Last edited by fumanstan; 04-19-12 at 03:16 AM.
Old 06-14-12, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm really digging "Burn It Down", gives me hope for the new album
Old 06-15-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I really like "Burn It Down" ---

album just leaked. It's only about 35 minutes long. Hope it's good.
Old 06-16-12, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As much as A Thousand Suns is hated, I think Waiting for the End is their best song.
Old 06-16-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Well....I'm ultimately disappointed. The single "Burn It Down" is by far the best track on the album. I also like "Castle of Glass" and "Lost In The Echo", but everything else is just meh. Looking back at the other albums, I'd have to say this is my least favorite.
Old 06-16-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This has got to be one of the worst albums I've ever listened to. A Thousand Suns is gold compared to this. Thank goodness it was only 35 minutes.

They need to call it quits. I don't even know what you'd classify this album under because it doesn't fit any electronic genres or anything under rock. And what's with Shinoda's soft singing?

They don't have an identity anymore. They're just throwing noise together and calling it music.
Old 06-17-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think all their records require a few days of sitting with to really make a decision, so I'm not rushing to judgements until I've sat with it for a bit.
Old 06-17-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i read in an interview that there was at least one song claimed "to be their heaviest song since the early days" i take it that was a load of shit?
Old 06-17-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i read in an interview that there was at least one song claimed "to be their heaviest song since the early days" i take it that was a load of shit?
There was nothing heavy in any of the songs. There were some elements of Meteora/Hybrid Theory but they were so few and far between. It's just a mashup of electronic noises and singing. I don't think you could qualify any of Shinoda's content on the album as rapping; it's like spoke-word poetry or singing.

I may be a broken record, but the reason their first two albums were so enjoyable was because it was their sound. Once they wanted to stay from that, they lost their identity. I don't know what genre you'd classify the album under.

I'm very hesitant to listen to it a second time but this isn't a CD I'd run out and buy. The only thing that reminds me of "Old LP" is the album length. Meteora and Hybrid Theory flowed together seamlessly and felt like a long album as a result. This is disjointed 35 minute mess.
Old 06-18-12, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I really like it The first 3 tracks is already miles better then anything from A Thousand Suns not named "Waiting for the End" and with more listens I think this might grow on me even more the same way Minutes to Midnight and the slower songs on that album did. There were 3 or 4 tracks that I disliked, but more then enough that I really, really liked; particularly Lost in the Echo, In My Remains, and Castle of Glass. I'll have the CD coming from Amazon next week.
Old 06-18-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
There were 3 or 4 tracks that I disliked, but more then enough that I really, really liked; particularly Lost in the Echo, In My Remains, and Castle of Glass. I'll have the CD coming from Amazon next week.
I can respect your opinion but 3 or 4 tracks on an album that's only 35 minutes in length is a significant chunk.
Old 06-18-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I'd say the song Lies Greed Misery is somewhat close to their older stuff.

Originally Posted by mcfly
I can respect your opinion but 3 or 4 tracks on an album that's only 35 minutes in length is a significant chunk.
Still better then the 10+ tracks that I disliked on A Thousand Suns.
Old 06-18-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Better than "A Thousand Suns" but not by much....

I'm gonna give it a few more spins but I really, truly believe these guys need to take an extended hiatus (at least 3 years.) They just don't have the "magic" any more and it's kinda painful listening to them trying to recapture it. This album sounds like them trying too hard whereas it seemed to come naturally on earlier records. Just my opinion.
Old 06-18-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I like it. I loved there first two albums and this is definitley more in the spirit of those than the last two.
Old 06-19-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
I really, truly believe these guys need to take an extended hiatus (at least 3 years.)
I think they just need to stop working with Rick Rubin.
Old 06-20-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Well....I'm ultimately disappointed. The single "Burn It Down" is by far the best track on the album. I also like "Castle of Glass" and "Lost In The Echo", but everything else is just meh. Looking back at the other albums, I'd have to say this is my least favorite.
THIS is correct.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.