Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Ridiculous hockey question....

namrfumot
04-16-12, 08:32 PM
Why can't a team sign a 600lb+ guy put him in regulation pads, and have him block the net. There would literally be no room for the puck...I'm talking like the tubs of lard that you see on those TLC shows...

Is there a rule against this?

bunkaroo
04-16-12, 08:35 PM
Let's see a guy like that on skates.

He he has to get out of the net at some point to play the puck. Then what?

wildcatlh
04-16-12, 08:36 PM
That's a question that's been asked many times.

There's no rule. But the goal is a lot bigger than you think. 4' x 6'. No human being would be able to block all of it. Even in full pads. And a goalie that fat wouldn't be able to move enough to block the parts that were open.

namrfumot
04-16-12, 08:36 PM
Why does he ever have to leave the crease? Other than to shuffle out to the net at the start of each period...

I dare say this guy with legal pads will block 99% of the net...and even then good luck getting it in.
http://www.indiatalkies.com/images/fattest-man35051n.jpg

wildcatlh
04-16-12, 08:40 PM
The goal is six feet wide. That man is nowhere near six feet wide. He's not four feet wide either (if you want to postulate that he'd be lying down in front of the net; the net is four feet high). An average NHL forward would easily would be able to place a puck over/around him.

wishbone
04-16-12, 08:43 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sP8ZVWiZUMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bunkaroo
04-16-12, 08:48 PM
Why does he ever have to leave the crease? Other than to shuffle out to the net at the start of each period...

So you don't watch much hockey I take it. The goalie frequently plays the puck outside the crease. If they didn't it would take that much longer for his teammates to come back and get the puck for starters, thus spending more time in their defensive zone.

namrfumot
04-16-12, 09:10 PM
So you don't watch much hockey I take it. The goalie frequently plays the puck outside the crease. If they didn't it would take that much longer for his teammates to come back and get the puck for starters, thus spending more time in their defensive zone.

I do watch hockey....the goalie may elect to come out to gather the puck when it is cleared, etc...but they don't HAVE to.

And I ain't buying a "sumo" goalie...I want a BLOB goalie!

bunkaroo
04-16-12, 09:12 PM
Goalie needs to be mobile - there's really no way around it.

wildcatlh
04-16-12, 09:15 PM
I do watch hockey....the goalie may elect to come out to gather the puck when it is cleared, etc...but they don't HAVE to.

And I ain't buying a "sumo" goalie...I want a BLOB goalie!

That video showed what would happen with a blob goalie. Even a 1200 pound man would only take up 90% of the goal area. Any NHL forward would easily be able to place the puck in that 10%.

starman9000
04-16-12, 09:24 PM
Go conjoined:

http://blackhawkup.com/files/2009/08/stuck_on_you02.jpg

astrochimp
04-16-12, 10:12 PM
Why can't a team sign a 600lb+ guy put him in regulation pads, and have him block the net. There would literally be no room for the puck...I'm talking like the tubs of lard that you see on those TLC shows...

You're not a Penguins fan by chance are ya? ;)

Adrian_Monk
04-17-12, 12:18 AM

Well there is no rule that limits the size of a person that can play, but there is a rule that limits the size of pads that was implemented not too long ago. I assure you that any guy capable of taking up anywhere near the entire net would be far too big to fit into the largest allowable pads.

Deadman31
04-17-12, 03:31 AM
why not just sign a lion to play goalie? Nobody would dare get close to the net.

or give goalies a gun.

coli
04-17-12, 05:49 AM
I heard Sumo wrestlers are all butterfly goalies ;)

LurkerDan
04-17-12, 08:41 AM
the OP was right, that was a ridiculous hockey question.

starman9000
04-17-12, 08:46 AM
Here's a <strike>interesting</strike> question. If goalies were allowed to choose, would they rather have 2 gloves or 2 sticks?

Me007gold
04-17-12, 08:48 AM
or give goalies a gun.

Only if they are allowed to stand their ground.

Sweet Baby James
04-17-12, 10:09 AM
Even if it did work, it would only be for one game. The blob most likely would croak if he had to stand up for 60 minutes.

Dr_Evil
04-17-12, 10:14 AM
Here's a <strike>interesting</strike> question. If goalies were allowed to choose, would they rather have 2 gloves or 2 sticks?

I would think they would go two sticks. Assuming that if they went with two gloves they would have no stick, I think that would hurt them a lot not having a poke check option. I would think that two sticks would give them the ability to cover more of the net. It might get a bit tough to control them when there's a lot of traffic in front. I think a two gloved goalie would be a lot more vulnerable down low.

dfmaverick2
04-17-12, 10:21 AM

Practically, I would think two gloves if you had to choose. Two sticks seem like they would get in the way of each other and be a nightmare to control.

whoopdido
04-23-12, 12:38 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sP8ZVWiZUMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Glad you posted this. For a long time I wondered the same thing as the OP. I think I actually watched that episode of Sports Science and it really opened my eyes. I really can't stand hockey but I have major respect for goalies. I thought the same thing...just put a sumo wrestler in there and there wouldn't be any room for the puck to get in the net. Boy was I wrong.

Ky-Fi
04-23-12, 10:32 AM
Also, the sumo goalie in the video was given a huge advantage in this setup by not being on ice and being allowed to wear street shoes. You gotta figure the average NHL goalie has been skating since he was 4 years old.

Drake
04-23-12, 12:45 PM

Because it's not the NFL.

Charlie Goose
04-26-12, 02:57 AM
Along those same lines, could a soccer team hire a 1,000,000 pound man to block the goal?