DVD Talk
The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012 [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012

Pages : [1] 2

Dimension X
04-16-12, 03:33 PM
http://www.dvdtalk.com/images/newbutton2003.gif
presents

The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge
May 1-31, 2012

The list thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/601003-third-annual-may-make-your-own-challenge-may-1-31-2012-list-thread.html) is now active.

May's coming up fast, so it's time, once again, to take a look at your dusty, unopened box sets, your unwatched stacks of Blu-rays, DVDs, HD-DVDs, LDs, VHS or Beta tapes, your DVR, your Netflix queue, whatever, and decide what you should spend 31 days watching. Now's your chance to finally watch all the stuff that didn't fit, or that you just didn't get around to, during the other Challenges.

Everyone's "need to watch" list is different, so you get to choose your Challenge theme and you get to make your own rules. (e.g. It's up to you how, or even if, you count the items in your list(s). If you want wildcards - go for it. You want to include concerts, plays, radio shows, or books - knock yourself out.)

With that in mind, there are a few guidelines which everyone should follow.

Challenge Guidelines:

The Challenge runs from May 1 through May 31.

Sure, you can run your May MYOC in September if you want, but the list thread will only be stickied during May, so if you want anyone else to see what you're up to, please try to keep it within those dates.

Please state your challenge theme and your challenge goal and rules (if any) at the top of your list(s) in the list thread so others can tell what you're up to.

Please don't duplicate an existing "Official" DVD Talk Challenge.

This guideline is mainly here so we don't subtract from participation in any of the other Challenges, and to encourage participants to focus on genres not already covered by a Challenge, but since everyone's "need to watch" list is different, and you're able to watch stuff that qualifies for one or more of the other Challenges during every other Challenge, you're free to narrow the focus of one of the broader "Official" Challenges.

For example; Say you only collect horror, then you could make your Challenge to watch just horror films, or just horror TV shows, or just zombie films, etc. Or if you have lots of unwatched Sci-Fi, then your MYOC could be just watch Sci-Fi movies, or watch Star Trek shows, or watch TOS, etc.

Here's Trevor's handy-dandy list of Challenges from his "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/557368-official-dvdtalk-challenges-compendium.html) thread:

DVDTalk Challenge Schedule
<table border="4"> <tr><td>Month</td><td>Month-long Challenge</td><td>Partial Month Challenge</td></tr><tr bgcolor=#CCCCCC><td>January</td><td>TV</td><td>Holiday ends on the 1st; varying Academy Award</td></tr><tr bgcolor=#FFCC66><td>February</td><td>none</td><td>varying Academy Award</td></tr><tr bgcolor=#CCCCCC><td>March</td><td>Action/Adventure/Crime</td><td>varying Academy Award</td></tr><tr bgcolor=#FFCC66><td>April</td><td>Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie</td><td>none</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#CCCCCC><td>May</td><td>Make-Your-Own</td><td>none</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#FFCC66><td>June</td><td>Historical Appreciation</td><td>none</td></tr><tr bgcolor=#CCCCCC><td>July</td><td>Sci-Fi/Fantasy</td><td>none</td></tr><tr bgcolor=#FFCC66><td>August</td><td>Animation</td><td>none</td></tr><tr bgcolor=#CCCCCC><td>September</td><td>Criterion</td><td>none</td></tr><tr bgcolor=#FFCC66><td>October</td><td>Horror</td><td>none</td></tr><tr bgcolor=#CCCCCC><td>November</td><td>Comedy</td><td>Holiday starts week of Thanksgiving</td></tr><tr bgcolor=#FFCC66><td>December</td><td>Holiday</td><td>none</td></tr></table>

Check out the previous threads for ideas:
2010 discussion thread. (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/571664-may-2010-make-your-own-challenge-challenge-discussion-thread.html)
2010 list thread. (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/572798-may-2010-make-your-own-challenge-challenge-lists-go-here.html)
2011 discussion thread. (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/589796-may-2011-make-your-own-challenge-discussion-thread.html)
2011 list thread. (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/590151-may-2011-make-your-own-challenge-lists-go-here.html)

Free stuff!

provided by
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii523/DimensionX-1/1334603900.jpg (http://hamiltonbook.com)

Check out that snazzy new logo!

Thanks, GoldenWheels!

On June 1st, three winners will be randomly chosen from the Challenge participants (using Random.org). In keeping with the spirit of the Make-Your-Own Challenge, those three winners will pick their own prizes from HamiltonBook.com.

Prize selection will be limited to items priced $20 or less.

For the purpose of this drawing, a participant is anyone not called Dimension X who has claimed a spot in the list thread, has chosen a Challenge theme, and has listed at least one item in his/her list.

If for some reason you do not wish to participate in the random drawing (e.g. Your mother told you to never accept free stuff from strangers; the warden doesn't allow you to receive packages; your spouse, or your roommate, or the voices in your head told you that you already have enough DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, and/or books and will not allow you to acquire any more), please opt out by letting me know, either by PM, or in this thread, or in your list post.

Winners will be given one week to pick their prizes. Any unclaimed prize opportunities will be re-gifted on June 8.

I will announce the prizes chosen so we can all be envious and/or amused by the selections.

Dimension X
04-16-12, 03:34 PM
I'll be doing a commentary track challenge this year.

NoirFan
04-16-12, 03:41 PM
I'm thinking a month of John Ford.

terrycloth
04-16-12, 05:18 PM
i think i may be going cheap on the challenge and do a "Eliminate my unwatched pile and Nwi que"

by going along with more challenges this past year iv blind bought so many titles i never got around to seeing and adding so much to my que on netflix

Trevor
04-16-12, 05:31 PM
My favorite Challenge! I'm waiting a week or two and then stealing one or more of all your ideas.

Chad
04-16-12, 05:43 PM
This would definitely be the perfect opportunity to pry open that big, beautiful Dark Shadows coffin and see what's lurking inside.

Dimension X
04-16-12, 05:46 PM
I'm thinking a month of John Ford.
I'd like to do that sometime too. The problem would be deciding what to watch, since he made so many movies. It wouldn't be as easy as my Hitchcock challenge was.

Looking at his credits on IMDb, I only have a few of his early films, so it probably wouldn't be too hard after all. I need to try to get his TV stuff and the later films I'm missing so I can do this next year (or the year after).
My favorite Challenge! I'm waiting a week or two and then stealing one or more of all your ideas.
I figured you'd (have to) go with a "Watching What My Wife Tells Me I Can Watch" Challenge.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
04-16-12, 05:49 PM
I'm doing a combo of working on a Noir list, of which I have 93 movies left, and working on things I failed to finish for other challenges. These include The Addams Family TV show and the 2 TV ewok movies.

lisadoris
04-16-12, 06:13 PM
In keeping with my goal of watching the entire Star Trek franchise in 2012, I'll probably try to get through DS9 for this challenge. On the other hand, I might just take a break from Trek but then I'd have to think of another challenge. Decisions, decisions.

NoirFan
04-16-12, 06:19 PM
I'd like to do that sometime too. The problem would be deciding what to watch, since he made so many movies.

I can give you a list of must-sees if you want.

Dimension X
04-16-12, 06:34 PM
I think I may just try to watch 1-2 DVDs/BDs a day.
Are they unwatched DVDs/BDs? DVDs/BDs you got for your birthday? C'mon, at least try to come up with a theme of some sort. :lol:
I can give you a list of must-sees if you want.
Sure, go ahead. I've probably seen (and own) most of the must-sees, it's some of the other stuff that I'd want to watch along with them (like his Screen Directors Playhouse episode that I failed to record when TCM showed it a few months back) that I want to get before I devote a month to his films.

SterlingBen
04-16-12, 06:37 PM
Mad Men & Wife's 'To Watch' pile.

And a non-fancy list this time around.

Mondo Kane
04-16-12, 06:51 PM
I'll be doing a commentary track challenge this year.

You won't be alone!

BobO'Link
04-16-12, 07:14 PM
I toyed with a "Bob Hope" challenge last year but went with "serials". I'm leaning towards doing that Bob Hope one this time *or* a "He's dead, Jim" challenge where the top billed star must have died during the 20th Century (Jan. 1, 1901-Dec. 31st 2000). But then I *did* purchase quite a few serials that I just didn't get worked in last year. Hmmm... do a repeat or something new...

popcorn
04-16-12, 07:20 PM
I'm going for an Unwatched/Unopened Challenge. It's shameful how many movies I have unwatched. Since it coincides with some business trips and TV season finales, I'll shoot for an over/under of 20 films.

Greg MacGuffin
04-16-12, 07:32 PM
Probably do another foreign-language film challenge.

Undeadcow
04-16-12, 07:45 PM
Thinking of doing a 1990s challenge, only watching material from that decade...

...Or to commemorate the death of the movie rental industry perhaps only watching material purchased at store closing sales...

...Or maybe a remake challenge...

davidh777
04-16-12, 08:01 PM
Toying with the idea of a Westerns challenge but I'll probably leave that for historical month. I watched Buffy season 1 for the TV challenge and will probably take on season 2.

BuddhaWake
04-16-12, 08:08 PM
I think I'll do my Latin American films although maybe I should do Asian as I have a huge backlog of that. hmmmm. what do you all think?

04-16-12, 08:44 PM
I think I'll do my Latin American films although maybe I should do Asian as I have a huge backlog of that. hmmmm. what do you all think?

If it were me, I'd probably do Asian. Or split the month in two and do Asian to start and then switch halfway through to avoid burnout.

shadokitty
04-16-12, 09:01 PM
Discussed it with a friend who is going to watch a lot of the shows with me, and we decided on a mixture of documentaries and an 80s challenge.

mrcellophane
04-16-12, 09:31 PM
I think it may be possible to be addicted to these challenges. Even though I'm not participating in this month's exploitation-a-thon, I had been reading the discussion, and I'm itching to get back into the obsessive list-making!

Thinking of watching films adapted from literature. Hoping it will also motivate me to read more books. However, I was also thinking about choosing a random staring year from which to pick a film and then each subsequent film must be from the year before or after the last.

Trevor
04-17-12, 08:37 AM
I figured you'd (have to) go with a "Watching What My Wife Tells Me I Can Watch" Challenge.
You get a virtual high five from Jen for that one.

I do want to try to get her and maybe our daughter involved in this one, so perhaps I'll work with them to come up with a family-friendly viewing plan.

Perhaps a Disney or Goosebumps marathon.

Dimension X
04-17-12, 08:55 AM

I do want to try to get her and maybe our daughter involved in this one, so perhaps I'll work with them to come up with a family-friendly viewing plan.

Did they have any DVDs you didn't already own? Maybe you could introduce each other to some favorite (family-friendly) films that the other hasn't seen.

Ash Ketchum
04-17-12, 09:21 AM
In keeping with my goal of watching the entire Star Trek franchise in 2012, I'll probably try to get through DS9 for this challenge. On the other hand, I might just take a break from Trek but then I'd have to think of another challenge. Decisions, decisions.

Don't forget--it's only four years till the 50th anniversary of Trek's premiere broadcast. You may want to save some material for then. :D

davidh777
04-17-12, 10:34 AM

You could do a "Finally Watch from the Unwatched Pile so I Can Get Rid of It, but Realize I Still Can't" challenge. :D

lisadoris
04-17-12, 10:58 AM
Don't forget--it's only four years till the 50th anniversary of Trek's premiere broadcast. You may want to save some material for then. :D
rotfl if I still haven't finished watching Trek by then, stick a fork in me, I'm done!

Giles
04-17-12, 03:55 PM
I'm gonna do what I did for the first challenge and do a music themed challenge.

gp1086
04-17-12, 04:48 PM
Current idea is to do an IMDB genre challenge. 12 genres that I selected - 1 film each which is a new watch. These must be either one I have at home (on DVD, BD, or recorded from HBO/Showtime) or available on Netflix streaming.

Other idea I had is to do "x degrees to Actor/Actress and back". Basically I choose an actor for the first movie (i.e. Tom Cruise in Minority Report), then I choose a co-star from that movie (i.e. Max von Sydow in Minority Report) and watch a movie they were in (i.e. Max von Sydow in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close). I keep going through, and eventually end my list with a new Tom Cruise movie that has a co-star linked back to the second-to-last movie I watched.

Either way, challenge will be all new watches for me since I have a lot of stuff I want to see.

Indy24LA
04-17-12, 04:55 PM
I am soooo looking forward to this challenge but have noooo idea what I'm gonna do.

Ash Ketchum
04-17-12, 08:30 PM
I'm really torn. I have so much left over from the last three challenges I participated in that I'm tempted to do more TV episodes or more action/adventure/crime/B-movie/exploitation. Plus I have tons of anime I have to get through. I have renewed enthusiasm for Shaw Bros. movies and have about 150 unwatched ones in my collection. Plus Japanese live-action series like Ultraman, Lone Wolf & Cub, Zatoichi and Space Sheriff Gavan. Plus I have over a dozen serials.

There's a sprinkling of Hollywood classics I've never seen. I might do a series of unseen works by my favorite directors, both Hollywood and Asian: there's one Billy Wilder I've never seen, a Fritz Lang or two, two by Robert Aldrich, a few by Hitchcock, an Anthony Mann, a bunch of early Fords, quite a few Kurosawas and Ozus...a handful of Chang Chehs, a few by Kinji Fukasaku...see? It just gets out of hand. What do I do? :sad:

I'm tempted to just start a TV series, anime or Japanese live-action, and keep at it until I finish it and then start another one and stay with that until I finish it. And see how many I can get through during the month. Last year it was all Japanese TV series, but I mixed live-action and anime and don't recall how many series I finished, if any, and I can't find my list from last year.

Screwadu
04-17-12, 10:00 PM
May Challenge 2012: 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.

Goal, to knock off as many as possible. Good luck to me.

caligulathegod
04-18-12, 07:22 AM
@Trevor
That's pretty much the rest of the year, here.

Trevor
04-18-12, 09:00 AM
I am soooo looking forward to this challenge but have noooo idea what I'm gonna do.
Same here so far.

One year I want to watch one film from every year of film history, beginning with 1888 or whatever, chronologically. Even if I pick all shorts, it will still be difficult and time consuming to track down, obtain, and watch 125 items.

Not sure if I have the time for that project this year, and none of you better steal the idea!
That's pretty much the rest of the year, here.
I interpret this to mean that you get one month a year (April?) to watch whatever and however many you want. Correct?

BuddhaWake
04-18-12, 09:35 AM
If it were me, I'd probably do Asian. Or split the month in two and do Asian to start and then switch halfway through to avoid burnout.

Maybe I will probably do Asian and Latin as these are my two biggest backlogs. I'll just have to adjust my rules to comply with the two.

InnocentBlood
04-18-12, 08:51 PM
I'll play :) I'll be doing a Foreign Cinema Challenge. hope to improve upon last year's tally.

clckworang
04-18-12, 10:29 PM
Hmm ... Considering participating in my first non-horror challenge. I might just go with a basic unwatched movie challenge. Between Blu-rays, DVDs and my DVR, I've got plenty to choose from.

Indy24LA
04-20-12, 07:29 PM
Got it! I am going to do an All Challenges Challenge. I'll watch something from each challenge we have, it'll be like fitting a whole year of challenges into a month. Question is do I start with the calendar year or do I start with the challenge that brought me here, the Horror challenge?

04-20-12, 08:06 PM
I'd start with the calendar year. Are you just going to keep looping when you get to the last challenge?

Indy24LA
04-20-12, 08:09 PM
I'd start with the calendar year. Are you just going to keep looping when you get to the last challenge?

Yeah, would like to get at least 2 of each in for the month.

BobO'Link
04-20-12, 09:00 PM
Got it! I am going to do an All Challenges Challenge. I'll watch something from each challenge we have, it'll be like fitting a whole year of challenges into a month. Question is do I start with the calendar year or do I start with the challenge that brought me here, the Horror challenge?

Cool idea! I agree with Mister Peepers - use the calendar year. You should shoot for 3 loops as several challenges allow for shorter TV content and therefore you get a reduced time commitment. That should work out to only 1 "film" per day by combining TV content with a film on those challenges which support the TV option in a shorter fashion and those where *anything*, regardless of length, counts as "1" entry. Of course when you consider many of the participants in the Horror Challenge are "hard core" viewers you *must* watch 2 films per loop on that one as it's the one that brought you here. :D

Trevor
04-20-12, 10:00 PM
Brilliant.

Personally, I'd have to go chronologically. Don't forget the Leap Day Challenge, though perhaps for that one only watch a quarter of a qualifying episode.

shadokitty
04-20-12, 10:13 PM

Great idea. From the praise it has received, I wonder how many people are now thinking of an All Challenges Challenge?

critterdvd
04-20-12, 11:13 PM
My roommate and I are debating between an "unwatched" pilot or "films from growing up" (1992-2002)

gp1086
04-20-12, 11:24 PM
My roommate and I are debating between an "unwatched" pilot or "films from growing up" (1992-2002)
Maybe a mix of both? Films from growing up is always fun, but you don't get any new watches that way.

Dimension X
04-21-12, 01:06 AM
Hmm ... Considering participating in my first non-horror challenge. I might just go with a basic unwatched movie challenge. Between Blu-rays, DVDs and my DVR, I've got plenty to choose from.
Welcome aboard.
So, are you planning to watch winter holiday movies, or May holiday films (Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day, etc.)?
Maybe a mix of both? Films from growing up is always fun, but you don't get any new watches that way.
Since I'm doing commentaries, none of my films will be FTVs (just first time listens). That's a first for me.

mrcellophane
04-21-12, 01:40 AM
rotfl if I still haven't finished watching Trek by then, stick a fork in me, I'm done!

I may still be at it! I'm in season three of TNG, but I keep getting distracted by other things so the going is slow. Good luck with your viewing!

I have settled on doing an "adapted from literature" challenge. It will give me a chance to watch the first seasons A Game of Thrones and The Vampire Diaries. (My definition of "literature" is loose.) I also hope to finally dive in my Rumpole of the Bailey box set.

May Challenge 2012: 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.

Goal, to knock off as many as possible. Good luck to me.

Cool idea! I have been listening to music featured in 1001 Albums You Must Listen To Before You Die and have been exposed to a lot of great music that I would not have sought out myself. I hope you have a similar experience with your project. Have you started going through the book?

Indy24LA
04-21-12, 08:55 AM
So I'll try and get through 2 to 3 from each of the year's challenges. I was bummed I missed the Leap Day Challenge, so this is my way of honoring the idea of it by going back in time and watching The Final Countdown. I'll stick with the winter holidays for the Holiday Challenge, probably watch a "Slapgivings" episode of How I Met Your Mother or something.

04-21-12, 10:34 AM
Brilliant.

Personally, I'd have to go chronologically. Don't forget the Leap Day Challenge, though perhaps for that one only watch a quarter of a qualifying episode.

No, for the Leap Day Challenge you only watch things for it every 4th loop through a year of challenges.

zaphod2467
04-22-12, 01:04 AM
After the last two nights with "The Darkest Hour" and "Melancholia," and seeing how it is 2012, I may go with an End of the World theme. Alien invasions, plagues, things crashing into Earth, pre- and post-nuclear apocalpyse, zombies, and anything else I can think of.

Bladz
04-23-12, 09:19 PM
Going with a superhero challenge for my first make your own challenge. There's still a lot I haven't seen and I want to be caught up before I go see The Avengers.

jmsmath
04-23-12, 11:58 PM
I think I'm going with a "Non-Challenge" challenge and only watch films that don't qualify for other challenges here. That pretty much limits me to non-Oscar nominated drama, but I think I'm going to allow mysteries and thrillers as well. I think mysteries were allowed in the recent action/adventure/crime challenge, but they're not officially listed in the rules as counting. And, I know some thrillers count in the horror challange, but I don't think most really belong there. Plus, it's my challenge and I can make my own rules! :D

lisadoris
04-24-12, 06:11 AM
Now I'm debating doing the All Challenges Challenge. I just have to figure out what films I'd plug into the B movie section - there seems to be a wide range of films they just aren't films I have access to.

Thanks for the idea Indy24LA!

shadokitty
04-24-12, 06:28 AM
Now I'm debating doing the All Challenges Challenge. I just have to figure out what films I'd plug into the B movie section - there seems to be a wide range of films they just aren't films I have access to.

Thanks for the idea Indy24LA!

I'm debating doing the All Challenges Challenge too.

Cardsfan111
04-24-12, 07:59 AM
I had a lot of fun only watching things starting with the letter "L" last year. Probably going to choose a different letter and go with that again. It provided a challenge, but obviously left a great deal of room to mix things up.

Spiderbite
04-24-12, 08:36 AM
I need to do a Three Stooges challenge and watch all these unopened sets sitting on my shelf.

Dimension X
04-24-12, 09:09 AM
After the last two nights with "The Darkest Hour" and "Melancholia," and seeing how it is 2012, I may go with an End of the World theme. Alien invasions, plagues, things crashing into Earth, pre- and post-nuclear apocalpyse, zombies, and anything else I can think of.
Cool idea.
Going with a superhero challenge for my first make your own challenge. There's still a lot I haven't seen and I want to be caught up before I go see The Avengers.
Welcome to the party. This is one of my favorite Challenges (and would be even if I didn't run it).

I think I'm going with a "Non-Challenge" challenge and only watch films that don't qualify for other challenges here. That pretty much limits me to non-Oscar nominated drama, but I think I'm going to allow mysteries and thrillers as well. I think mysteries were allowed in the recent action/adventure/crime challenge, but they're not officially listed in the rules as counting. And, I know some thrillers count in the horror challange, but I don't think most really belong there. Plus, it's my challenge and I can make my own rules! :D
:lol:

I think I'll start the list thread tomorrow morning, so if you're one of those people dying to get on page one, keep an eye out. :)

Darth Maher
04-24-12, 10:18 AM
As always, I am going to "try" (I know... "do or do not, there is no try") to take part in this challenge. My past few challenges have really been a bust. And with the kids in a plethora of activities this year, I don't know how successful this will be for me. But I will watch what I can.

Some ideas I am entertaining are "Star Trek" (still have to get through both blu-ray sets of the films and I'd like to watch some of TOS that I haven't seen), "Dark Shadows" (have hardly seen any of these), "Doctor Who" (same deal as Dark Shadows) or another "Behind The Scenes" challenge. I tried the latter last year and didn't do too well... only watched ONE featurette.

gp1086
04-24-12, 01:23 PM
Someone mentioned above about doing the letter "L" or another letter. As a spin to that, thinking about doing the ABC challenge. 26 new watch titles - one title per letter A-Z.

walletboyniac
04-24-12, 01:47 PM
I'm going to try a Sabrina The Teenage Witch challenge. It's a show I've always liked in passing, but never really followed. I'm just getting into the DVDs. I figure I'll also watch any movies related to the stars/guest stars (or even writers, like, say, Frank Conniff). No, I'm not a teenager, and not female, but what the hell :D

Dimension X
04-25-12, 10:21 AM
I started the list thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/601003-third-annual-may-make-your-own-challenge-may-1-31-2012-list-thread.html).

Please let me know if you notice any errors in the participants list (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205032-post2.html).

davidh777
04-25-12, 10:44 AM
Cool, thanks :up:

BuddhaWake, all them asterisks are already breaking the browser on my phone. :lol:

BuddhaWake
04-25-12, 10:57 AM
Cool, thanks :up:

BuddhaWake, all them asterisks are already breaking the browser on my phone. :lol:

sorry. just trying to come up with something to separeate it. maybe I can do a horizontal line with html instead. sorry bro.

edit: added horizontal lines instead. hopefully that's better.

davidh777
04-25-12, 11:53 AM
sorry. just trying to come up with something to separeate it. maybe I can do a horizontal line with html instead. sorry bro.

edit: added horizontal lines instead. hopefully that's better.

Much better, thanks. :up: Of course it won't be long before people start adding pictured that do the same thing, but I do appreciate it. :)

NoirFan
04-25-12, 02:04 PM
I've decided to go with viewing all of my unwatched Blu-rays - a grand total of 59, including May pre-orders and second films included as extras. Regarding the latter, does anyone know of any other second films included with Criterion Blu-rays, other than these:

Bucking Broadway, The Traveller, Crooks Tour, Godzilla, Killer's Kiss

walletboyniac
04-25-12, 04:13 PM
Are there some rules I'm supposed to adhere to for "Make Your Own Challenge"? I'm seeing things like '4 episodes = 1 entry'. I came up with semi-vague rules:

Complete two full seasons of the show (52 episodes), plus watch random movies and TV shows that include the stars, guest stars, and anyone associated with the program.

Cardsfan111
04-25-12, 04:19 PM
Are there some rules I'm supposed to adhere to for "Make Your Own Challenge"? I'm seeing things like '4 episodes = 1 entry'. I came up with semi-vague rules:

Complete two full seasons of the show (52 episodes), plus watch random movies and TV shows that include the stars, guest stars, and anyone associated with the program.

It's the beauty of the Make-Your-Own-Challenge. You can create your own set of rules/counting.

Bladz
04-25-12, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the party. This is one of my favorite Challenges (and would be even if I didn't run it).

Definitely a cool idea. I like the fact that you can do something different every year. My first challenge was this past horror challenge and I've been trying to participate in as many as I can, even if I only get to watch a few movies for the month.

lisadoris
04-26-12, 07:50 AM
So I've figured it out:

May 1-11 All Challenges Challenge
May 19-31 Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Challenge

shadokitty
04-26-12, 08:41 AM
So I've figured it out:

Nice Challenge.

gp1086
04-26-12, 09:53 AM
So I've figured it out:

May 12-18 Break from challenges Challenge?

acubfaninmd
04-26-12, 10:08 PM
I'm going to be boring and just do a unwatched challenge. Will use unwatched Blu-rays and things in my Netflix instant queue.

lisadoris
04-27-12, 06:36 AM
May 12-18 Break from challenges Challenge?
Taking first real vacation in 7 years. I might be tempted to put a couple TV episodes on my tablet for the plane trip but that will be the extent of my brain activity for that week.

Trevor
04-27-12, 07:11 AM
I've been seriously contemplating fine tuning my film collecting to 20 or so "niches" (Criterions, Godzilla, MST3K, comic book films, etc) and getting rid of a few thousand films and TV series that I bought more because I was (am?) a hoarder and don't really hold a special place in my heart.

But I want to watch everything I bought at least once, so I think I'll use this and the next dozen or so Challenges to watch stuff I might then sell/ donate.

So this May will be my "Stuff I'll Probably Sell After the Challenge Challenge".

BuddhaWake
04-27-12, 07:41 AM
I've been seriously contemplating fine tuning my film collecting to 20 or so "niches" (Criterions, Godzilla, MST3K, comic book films, etc) and getting rid of a few thousand films and TV series that I bought more because I was (am?) a hoarder and don't really hold a special place in my heart.

But I want to watch everything I bought at least once, so I think I'll use this and the next dozen or so Challenges to watch stuff I might then sell/ donate.

So this May will be my "Stuff I'll Probably Sell After the Challenge Challenge".

The wife already making you throw stuff away? J/K I've thought about doing that for a while as I keep buying yet have no place to put them but I figured I would probably just re-buy them. I don't understand us, even libraries throw books away or sell them.

Dimension X
04-27-12, 08:31 AM
Sorry, I haven't been able to update the participant's list in the list thread since Wed. because my internet was out. I'll try to have the list up-to-date sometime tonight.

As cardsfan111 said, you can count (or not count) things on your list however you want. Some people like to count more-or-less by hours watched. Others like to count everything watched as one item.

Trevor
04-27-12, 08:36 AM
Off-topic reply spoilered. The wife already making you throw stuff away? J/K I've thought about doing that for a while as I keep buying yet have no place to put them but I figured I would probably just re-buy them. I don't understand us, even libraries throw books away or sell them.
No, she's understanding, but would prefer less clutter. So making her happy is a big motivation, but not the only one.

Yeah, I don't quite understand it either. I definitely own more than I'll ever possibly use, even if I watched/read my stuff 12 hours a day and lived to be 120.

And even if that is a slight exaggeration, I'm pretty sure I'd rather watch my favorite things multiple times than some of the budget stuff I've accumulated even once.

Much of my "problem" is that the buying and organization process has a huge allure to me, apparently, and I spend so much time on those things that I'm not truly enjoying what I've collected.

I could ramble on for pages, but that's best reserved for the Organization thread or just my mind.

davidh777
04-27-12, 10:16 AM
Off-topic reply spoilered.
No, she's understanding, but would prefer less clutter. So making her happy is a big motivation, but not the only one.

Yeah, I don't quite understand it either. I definitely own more than I'll ever possibly use, even if I watched/read my stuff 12 hours a day and lived to be 120.

And even if that is a slight exaggeration, I'm pretty sure I'd rather watch my favorite things multiple times than some of the budget stuff I've accumulated even once.

Much of my "proEblem" is that the buying and organization process has a huge allure to me, apparently, and I spend so much time on those things that I'm not truly enjoying what I've collected.

I could ramble on for pages, but that's best reserved for the Organization thread or just my mind.

I sort of called it in post #26. :). But good for you, man, if you do weed some of it out. It's a goal of mine too.

Cardsfan111
04-27-12, 12:57 PM
I had a lot of fun only watching things starting with the letter "L" last year. Probably going to choose a different letter and go with that again. It provided a challenge, but obviously left a great deal of room to mix things up.

Someone mentioned above about doing the letter "L" or another letter. As a spin to that, thinking about doing the ABC challenge. 26 new watch titles - one title per letter A-Z.

If you don't mind, I think I'm going to take your idea and run with it. It will most definitely be a challenge. My goal will be to watch a film and a television show starting with each letter of the alphabet. I've got enough on the unwatched pile (or on the DVR) to qualify for everything with the exception of tv shows starting with "Q" and "Z" (Don't own any Quantum Leap or episodes of Zorro).

walletboyniac
04-27-12, 04:43 PM
I've got enough on the unwatched pile (or on the DVR) to qualify for everything with the exception of tv shows starting with "Q" and "Z" (Don't own any Quantum Leap or episodes of Zorro).

They show Quantum Leap on G4, if you get that channel...

BobO'Link
04-27-12, 08:19 PM
...I've got enough on the unwatched pile (or on the DVR) to qualify for everything with the exception of tv shows starting with "Q" and "Z" (Don't own any Quantum Leap or episodes of Zorro).

For "Q" there's also Quark, and Quincy Jones M.E. - at least 1 episode of Quark is on youtube (probably more).

For "Z" there's an episode of Zane Grey Theater available for streaming (http://archive.org/details/Zane.Grey.Theater-You.Only.Run.Once) at the Internet Archive as well as an episode of Zoo Parade (http://archive.org/details/Zoo_Parade_190)with Marlin Perkins.

gp1086
04-27-12, 10:33 PM
If you don't mind, I think I'm going to take your idea and run with it. It will most definitely be a challenge. My goal will be to watch a film and a television show starting with each letter of the alphabet. I've got enough on the unwatched pile (or on the DVR) to qualify for everything with the exception of tv shows starting with "Q" and "Z" (Don't own any Quantum Leap or episodes of Zorro).
Go for it and good luck!

I wound up just doing a movie starting with the first letter from the phrase "May Mix Up Challenge", so it's now 17 vs 26 I will need to watch since I'm not sure how much time I would've had.

shadokitty
04-29-12, 09:26 AM
I'm adding horror films to my challenge as well. I've got kids staying with me and they enjoy horror and want to watch horror movies next month.

Dimension X
04-29-12, 02:43 PM

Off-topic reply spoilered.

Much of my "problem" is that the buying and organization process has a huge allure to me, apparently, and I spend so much time on those things that I'm not truly enjoying what I've collected.

Since this appears to be relevant to your MYOC theme, there's no need for spoiler tags. Feel free to "ramble on" in this thread all you want.

Seriously, I'm interested in why everyone picked their themes, so post away. Me, I just have a lot of un-listened-to commentaries (mostly films I've watched within the past year for the other Challenges), and this gives me a chance/reason to listen to a bunch of them.

GoldenWheels
04-29-12, 03:25 PM
I suppose I might get in on this and call it my own Battlestar Galactica challenge....like everything else when it comes to entertainment trends I am totally late to the party and just discovered this awesome show. Now I am watching 3 episodes a night.

Mondo Kane
04-29-12, 03:35 PM
Seriously, I'm interested in why everyone picked their themes, so post away. Me, I just have a lot of un-listened-to commentaries (mostly films I've watched within the past year for the other Challenges), and this gives me a chance/reason to listen to a bunch of them.

Ditto.

Commentaries have always been my favorite extra and there's a whole pile of them that I've yet to get around to.....Might re-visit a few beloved ones as well.

shadokitty
04-29-12, 04:18 PM

I just picked what I wanted to watch and like watching.

Screwadu
04-29-12, 04:37 PM

Last year I found out about the book series and decided to try my hand at watching all of them. A bad streak of horrible picks and life getting in the way interrupted my progress at around twenty and I never had a chance to get back to it. This is just the sort of thing I needed to force my hand.

BuddhaWake
04-29-12, 05:08 PM
I picked the Latin American films as its my favorite "genre" but I have a vested interest since its what I went to school for. The Asian Part this year its because my collection is getting too large so I need to get a move on these.

Gobear
04-29-12, 05:39 PM
I just picked what I wanted to watch and like watching.

Same here. I love musicals, and I have a zillion in my unwatched, or haven't watched in ages, pile.

Ash Ketchum
04-29-12, 06:42 PM

Japanese series - "Queen Millennia" (anime) and "Zatoichi" - live-action.

Cardsfan111
04-29-12, 06:51 PM
Seriously, I'm interested in why everyone picked their themes, so post away.

My focus is always on unwatched titles in my collection. I just like to use a creative way to go about it.

BobO'Link
04-29-12, 06:54 PM
...Seriously, I'm interested in why everyone picked their themes, so post away. Me, I just have a lot of un-listened-to commentaries (mostly films I've watched within the past year for the other Challenges), and this gives me a chance/reason to listen to a bunch of them.
I'm still very undecided but whatever I settle on will simply be "because I like it". I tend to use this challenge to double up on stuff I'd watch anyway or "enhance" (i.e. further refine/define) one of the others. For example: I *love* "B" sci-fi films from the 50s/60s so I'm considering a "50s sci-fi" theme. I've toyed with a "Classic comedy" (30s/40s/50s *only*) theme - that "Bob Hope" theme I keep mulling over fits within that one for the most part as his better work is from those decades. Then there are several utilizing the many AFI "100 films" lists, the "Only stuff from the unopened pile" challenge (which is typically "business as usual" outside challenges), the "Only films from your year of birth" challenge, the "Screwball comedy" challenge, the "Universal Horror" challenge, the "Classic Comedy Teams" challenge (Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, Marx Bros., etc.), the "Vincent Price" challenge, the "Monty Python" challenge, not to mention the many good ideas which have been posted by others.

And it starts *tomorrow night*!

mrcellophane
04-29-12, 08:56 PM
I was looking for a creative way to delve into my unwieldy unwatched pile. I have been attempting to read more books this year and thought this would be a good way to watch some great films that motivate me to check out the written word. By choosing to watch film adaptations, I also didn't pigeonhole myself into a certain genre. There are so many different films that will satisfy any changes in mood.

davidh777
04-30-12, 03:19 AM

I have all kinds of stuff in my unwatched pile, but the TV seasons are the ones that bother me the most, and when they're multiple seasons like Buffy or B5, it's hard to make the time to bulk-watch. The challenge gives me a good excuse, with the added bonus of recording any thoughts in the list thread. I watched the first season of Buffy for the TV challenge, and I might have to pick up the show again for the sci-fi/fantasy and horror challenges. :)

lisadoris
04-30-12, 06:50 AM
I picked the "All Challenges" challenge because it sounded like fun. The DS9 challenge was chosen because I was going to watch the show anyway.

BuddhaWake
04-30-12, 07:34 AM
these challenges are what makes me go through some of my HUGE backlog. So they are 99% first time viewing.

OT: Davidh777 how did you get your signature to be so small. I've been trying to get mines to be that size or smaller with no luck.

Cardsfan111
04-30-12, 07:40 AM
OT: Davidh777 how did you get your signature to be so small. I've been trying to get mines to be that size or smaller with no luck.

Just go with...

[ SIZE="1" ]Your signature goes here[ /SIZE ] without the spaces.

Your signature goes here

BuddhaWake
04-30-12, 07:59 AM
Just go with...

[ SIZE="1" ]Your signature goes here[ /SIZE ] without the spaces.

Your signature goes here

thanks. I had it at 1 but for some reason there was an extra size tag I hadn't noticed with a 2. took that out and it worked. thanks.

Dimension X
04-30-12, 09:06 AM
Wow. Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to try to remember to do that again next year. :)
I suppose I might get in on this and call it my own Battlestar Galactica challenge....like everything else when it comes to entertainment trends I am totally late to the party and just discovered this awesome show. Now I am watching 3 episodes a night.
Glad to have you join us again. Since you're watching it anyway, you might as well grab a spot and keep a list.

I've only watched part of the first season of Galactica, but I liked what I saw, so I've picked up used copies when I find them cheap (I have about half of the series now). It'll probably be a while before I'm able to watch it.
Ditto.

Commentaries have always been my favorite extra and there's a whole pile of them that I've yet to get around to.....Might re-visit a few beloved ones as well.
I think there are at least two commentary tracks on most of the DVDs I watched last May, so I may be doing commentaries again next year.

And it starts *tomorrow night*!
I may not start until tomorrow evening. It depends on when I hit 100 for the Drive-in Challenge.

omike
04-30-12, 02:24 PM
I've been going back and forth on whether to do this challenge or not and just what to do. First I was thinking Asian Movies and TV shows since I have lots of those unwatched. Then The All Challenges Challenge almost got me -- that's an excellent idea. I finally settled on American Movies of the 30's, 40's and 50's since I've always loved films of that vintage and I watched several poverty row movies for the Exploitation challenge and was reminded of how much I like those sometimes silly, sometimes creaky little gems. So I'm probably going to start with more poverty row and see how far that takes me. The main rule will be that all DVDs must be first time viewings, although its OK if I've seen the movie before in another format.

gp1086
04-30-12, 04:27 PM
As with others, my "May Mix Up Challenge" (originally full alphabet) was a fun way for me to go through my unwatched films from my Netflix disc queue (180 titles), Netflix instant queue (125 titles), DVR (15 titles), and owned DVDs/blu rays (15 titles). Gave me a lot of leeway in choosing different genres to mix it up depending what I'm in the mood for, while working through all these titles. My main focus was getting through the DVR and owned physical media. As such, there will be fewer watches from Netflix as part of the challenge.

coyoteblue
04-30-12, 08:14 PM
Wasn't going to indulge, but changed my mind. Nothing too ambitious, though. I'm going to watch at least one movie for each animal on the Chinese zodiac:

Rat
Ox
Tiger
Rabbit
Dragon
Snake
Horse
Goat
Monkey
Rooster
Dog
Pig

The name has either got to be in the title or animal has to be a star/co-star of the movie. Bonus points if I can watch a Chinese movie that qualifies. Like I said, nothing that amibitious. I'll go ahead and count any TV/short films that I can find that qualify, too.

04-30-12, 08:17 PM
Wasn't going to indulge, but changed my mind. Nothing too ambitious, though. I'm going to watch at least one movie for each animal on the Chinese zodiac:

Rat
Ox
Tiger
Rabbit
Dragon
Snake
Horse
Goat
Monkey
Rooster
Dog
Pig

The name has either got to be in the title or animal has to be a star/co-star of the movie. Bonus points if I can watch a Chinese movie that qualifies. Like I said, nothing that amibitious.

I think you should get bonus points if you find non-Chinese movies that qualify. Off the top of my head, you could finish that list with about a half dozen kung fu movies.

coyoteblue
04-30-12, 08:23 PM
I've already though of non-Chinese movies for most of them.

for instance:
Rat - Of Unknown Origin
Ox - Tall Tale
Tiger - Winnie the Pooh
Rabbit - Night of the Lepus
Pig - either Babe movie

You get the idea.

04-30-12, 09:43 PM
Knock a bunch out with Animal Farm.

SterlingBen
04-30-12, 11:08 PM
For Goat; Revenge Of Billy The Kid is a must.

gp1086
04-30-12, 11:11 PM
Challenge is officially underway for us on EST in the US. Happy viewing all. Unfortunately too tired to get started tonight.

coyoteblue
05-01-12, 09:25 AM
For Goat; Revenge Of Billy The Kid is a must.

Sweeeet! But it's out of print and what's available is pricey.

Screwadu
05-01-12, 10:07 AM
On movie #4, L'Age d'Or. Since I'll be gone most of the day, I'm knocking out as many short films as I can.

Ash Ketchum
05-01-12, 10:43 AM

Rat
Ox
Tiger
Rabbit
Dragon
Snake
Horse
Goat
Monkey
Rooster
Dog
Pig

The name has either got to be in the title or animal has to be a star/co-star of the movie. Bonus points if I can watch a Chinese movie that qualifies. Like I said, nothing that amibitious. I'll go ahead and count any TV/short films that I can find that qualify, too.

There's a Taiwan martial arts film called TWELVE ANIMALS (1990) in which someone on a quest has to identify 12 people who embody each of the animals in the zodiac and has powers or characteristics of those animals and recruit them for a celestial mission of some kind.

Here are excerpts from a review I found on the web:
TWELVE ANIMALS (1991) is a Taiwanese fantasy that tells the story of the Chinese Zodiac and how each of the twelve animals of the zodiac gets recruited by Buddha's representative on Earth. The film opens with a funny cartoon sequence showing how the twelve animals were chosen by a race to see which animals got to the finish line first and how the animals cheated and tricked the others to get there. Buddha's rep is an angelic young girl, Bai Ma (played by Su Ling Lu), who is accompanied by a mute kung fu-fighting boy monk-in-training. The most notable cast member is young female fighting star Lin Hsiao Lan, who plays Dragon, the first recruit....

The film simply follows the party as they find human incarnations of each of the animals. A mailman who runs swiftly from village to village is the horse. A fat prison guard is the pig. A muscular prison inmate is the ox. A guy who scurries around and can dig through the ground is the rat. A fighting man they encounter is the tiger. You get the idea. As the party grows, the members form cliques and constantly bicker with each other. The sweet Bai Ma has to use her calming influence to intervene at various points. Eventually they all converge on Devil's Island to battle assorted demons and monsters, including a giant green demon.

coyoteblue
05-01-12, 11:29 AM
There's a Taiwan martial arts film called TWELVE ANIMALS (1990) in which someone on a quest has to identify 12 people who embody each of the animals in the zodiac and has powers or characteristics of those animals and recruit them for a celestial mission of some kind.

Here are excerpts from a review I found on the web:

It sounds familiar; maybe I've seen it. I'll have to poke around when I get home and see if I have the disc. I'm thinking Uproar in Heaven and/or A Cold Night's Death for Monkey.

Ash Ketchum
05-01-12, 12:34 PM

Try these, although ox and goat have stumped me:

Rat: WILLARD (1971) or its sequel BEN (1972) - Ben is the name of the rat, Willard is the name of its owner
Ox: I'm stumped.
Tiger: A TIGER WALKS (1964), HARRY BLACK AND THE TIGER (1958), to name two/also THE JUNGLE BOOK, the Sabu version and the Disney animated version. I've seen plenty of jungle movies where the hero or heroine has a pet tiger, just can't recall the names right now.
Rabbit: NIGHT OF THE LEPUS, HARVEY, anything with Bugs Bunny
Dragon: SWORD AND THE DRAGON - a great Russian fantasy film
Snake: MADAM WHITE SNAKE, GREEN SNAKE, anything based on the classic Chinese story/plus there's a horror film called SSSSSSS and one called STANLEY, about a guy who collects snakes
Horse: Any Roy Rogers western with Trigger: MY PAL TRIGGER, TRIGGER JR. and my favorite, THE GOLDEN STALLION/or any horse racing movie like SEABISCUIT and a million others
Goat: I'm stumped/HEIDI has a goat in it.
Monkey: THE MONKEY GOES WEST, a Shaw Bros. classic
Rooster: COCKFIGHTER, by Monte Hellman
Dog: IT'S A DOG'S LIFE, A BOY AND HIS DOG, DOG OF FLANDERS...millions more
Pig: Any of the Monkey King movies, like MONKEY GOES WEST, include Pigsy, a major pig character. Any Porky Pig cartoon/also, isn't a pig a major character in CHARLOTTE'S WEB?

davidh777
05-01-12, 12:37 PM
Non-Chinese Zodiac could be a good topic as well:

Libra: Courtroom film?
Virgo: Something with women in it?

I also like people's idea of tossing in a superheroes mini-challenge based around The Avengers.

BobO'Link
05-01-12, 05:39 PM
I finally settled on "50s/60s TV" as my theme and am making it inclusive to those years. A episode has to have originally aired during those 2 decades to count even if the series spanned adjacent decades.

I chose those decades simply because I just purchased I'm Dickens... He's Fenster - V1, My Living Doll - V1, and Car 54: Where Are You? - S2 and don't want to "sit on them" until a "better" time. I don't recall watching I'm Dickens... even though it was on a night following a program I *did* watch (The Flintstones - but at a time that may have been "bedtime" that year) and the other 2 came on while we were at church. It also doesn't hurt that I have more than enough "unopened" TV seasons from those decades to fill several months of constant viewing. I have unopened seasons of: Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy, Rawhide, Mission Imposible, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Dennis the Menace, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Twilight Zone, The Donna Reed Show, McHale's Navy, Perry Mason, The Prisoner, and many, many more.

I *finally* decided to start with Rawhide as it's one I don't remember watching. I was either outside playing or it came on opposite a more "kid friendly" program (in 64/65 it came on opposite Jonny Quest - need I say more) but I *do* remember the theme song and *not* because of The Blues Brothers. :)

mrcellophane
05-01-12, 08:22 PM
A couple months ago, I read an "Onion" article entitled "Miranda July Called Before Congress To Explain Exactly What Her Whole Thing Is" and both laughed and found myself wondering if there was an answer to that query. My response made me wonder if I was losing my love of quirk and oddity.

Today, I watched Paper Man which is about a quirky writer struggling to write a quirky novel and instead begins spending time with a quirky teenaged girl, and it confirmed I don't find "quirky" as charming as I once did. I should clarify that I don't like "quirky" for the sake of being "quirky." It seems that many indie filmmakers use odd aesthetics, plotting, and scenes to simply distinguish their projects from more mainstream films. However, many of these filmmakers fail to realize that there has to be a reason for these choices; they have to make sense in the world of the characters. For the life of me, I could not figure out how the hell no one had murdered the main character or how he had managed not to die performing some everyday task. (This also puzzled me upon recently rewatching July's Me and You and Everyone We Know.) Perhaps being finding this style of storytelling to be needlessly self-indulgent is a sign of growing up. Also, I found it mildly disconcerting that the only character I identified with was the exasperated wife, a character cast as the unfeeling shrew for a majority of the film.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I also watched Hitchcock's The 39 Steps and a couple episodes of Rumpole of the Bailey, and they were awesome!

lisadoris
05-02-12, 06:06 AM
Since I only get 11 days to devote to the All Challenges Challenge, I decided to divide each day in half tackle one challenge in the AM and another challenge in the PM. Watching My So-Called Life is interesting. Now I'm closer to the age of the parents than the students but it's amazing how relevant this series still is. The "Guns and Gossip" episode about bullying could air today without a single edit and it works, unfortunately.

Watched The Birds for the Oscar Challenge portion of my day and I wonder how that film is going to look on blu. The special effects already look dated to put it mildly. Still an insanely creepy movie and it drives me nuts to not know why the birds were attacking.

Cardsfan111
05-02-12, 08:54 AM
The good and bad from the early stages of my Alphabet Challenge:

For a television show starting with the letter S, I finished the first season of The Shield. First time going through this series and it has lived up to the glowing reviews from folks here. I'm anxious to move on to the next season, but I'll have to wait til June if I want to finish my Make-Your-Own quest.

I sat through Zookeeper last night since my "Z" film options were limited and I had recorded it to my DVR previously. The best thing I can say about this movie is that it met my expectations. I'd also add my expectations were set very low.

lisadoris
05-02-12, 07:39 PM
For the B-Movie portion of the challenge I went through last month's list thread for ideas and came up with two films I hadn't seen before: Mad Max and Enter the Dragon. Max wasn't what I was expecting. It was a very slow and deliberate story and not a lot of action. Who knew. Dragon was OK. After the film was over I realized this was the first Bruce Lee film I had ever seen. Don't know how that happened.

gp1086
05-02-12, 09:21 PM
Began the challenge today by watching How To Train Your Dragon (2010) for the first time. WOW! I am blown away by how much I loved this movie. Had a feeling I would like it given the good reviews, but I was hooked into the story, the characters, the brilliant animation, etc. I read a review afterwards that pointed out how this movie chose to focus more on character and plot build up rather than little kid jokes or pop culture references for adults (like some other titles do), and I really think that made the difference.

2010 was one hell of a year for animation with this and Toy Story 3. Highly recommend if you haven't seen.

Dimension X
05-02-12, 11:13 PM
Here's the up-to-date participants list from the list thread. Let me know if I've made any errors for your entry (bad link, incorrect Challenge description, etc.).

Thanks.

<table BORDER=2 CELLPADDING=3><TR><TH>Name</TH><TH>Challenge Theme</TH></TR><TR><TD>Dimension X (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205034-post3.html)</TD> <TD>"Commentary Track Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>cardsfan111 (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205040-post4.html)</TD> <TD>"The Alphabet Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>BuddhaWake (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205046-post5.html)</TD> <TD>"Iberian and Latin American (including Caribbean) ... Now with Asia too!" Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD>MrTerrific (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205050-post6.html)</TD> <TD>Movies by Ratings Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD>davidh777 (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205093-post7.html)</TD> <TD>"Bring On Buffy" Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD>Screwadu (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205125-post8.html)</TD> <TD>"1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD>KaBluie (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205160-post9.html)</TD> <TD>"Mill Creek's 50 Classic Musicals Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>Gobear (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205167-post10.html)</TD> <TD>Musicals Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD>shadokitty (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205195-post11.html)</TD> <TD>"Documentaries and other educational programs/Anime/Horror Films" Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD>Indy24LA (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205235-post12.html)</TD> <TD>"The All Challenges Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>mrcellophane (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205246-post13.html)</TD> <TD>"Film Adaptations & Film Writers Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mister Peepers (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205252-post14.html)</TD> <TD>???</TD></TR><TR><TD>pagefrance (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205282-post15.html)</TD> <TD>"Comic Book Movie Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>Jeffy Pop (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205408-post16.html)</TD> <TD>"Foreign Language Film Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>NoirFan (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205453-post17.html)</TD> <TD>"Unwatched Blu-rays Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>walletboyniac (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205486-post18.html)</TD> <TD>"Sabrina, The Teenage Witch Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>gp1086 (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205534-post19.html)</TD> <TD>"May Mix-Up Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>Giles (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205559-post20.html)</TD> <TD>"The Art of the Short Film" Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD>Trevor (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205573-post21.html)</TD> <TD>???</TD></TR><TR><TD>jmsmath (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205593-post22.html)</TD> <TD>"2012 'Non-Challenge' Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mondo Kane (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205599-post23.html)</TD> <TD>"Commentary Track Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>terrycloth (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205665-post24.html)</TD> <TD>???</TD></TR><TR><TD>lisadoris (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205860-post25.html)</TD> <TD>"All Challenges Challenge" & "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>Bladz (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205883-post26.html)</TD> <TD>"Superhero Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>Chad (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205889-post27.html)</TD> <TD>???</TD></TR><TR><TD>BobO'Link (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205894-post28.html)</TD> <TD>"The 50s/60s TV Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>zaphod2467 (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205983-post29.html)</TD> <TD>"Last Annual 2012 End of the World Movie Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>brianluvdvd (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11205988-post30.html)</TD> <TD>???</TD></TR><TR><TD>hbsvb (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11206092-post31.html)</TD> <TD>"Clean Off My DVR Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>indiephantom (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11206162-post32.html)</TD> <TD>???</TD></TR><TR><TD>acubfaninmd (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11207830-post33.html)</TD> <TD>"Unwatched Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>SterlingBen (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11207909-post34.html)</TD> <TD>"The Mad Men & Wife's 'To Watch' Pile Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>critterdvd (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11208338-post35.html)</TD> <TD>"Unwatched MOVIES Pile" Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD>SnapDawg (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11208792-post36.html)</TD> <TD>"The Expendables Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>CardiffGiant (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11209709-post37.html)</TD> <TD>"Unwatched Material" Mini-Challenges</TD></TR><TR><TD>Darkgod (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11209793-post38.html)</TD> <TD>"Clean off My Hard drive of 100gb" Challenge + Chuck & Supernatural Mini-Challenges</TD></TR><TR><TD>omike (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11212417-post39.html)</TD> <TD>"American Movies of the 30's, 40's, and 50's" Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD>coyoteblue (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11212970-post40.html)</TD> <TD>Chinese Zodiac Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD>indy2003 (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11213024-post41.html)</TD> <TD>Movies by Ratings Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD>popcorn (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11214975-post42.html)</TD> <TD>"The Unwatched/Unopened Challenge"</TD></TR><TR><TD>InnocentBlood (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11216506-post43.html)</TD> <TD>"World Cinema Challenge"</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had pretty good luck so far with my Commentaries Challenge. The first one I listened to wasn't great, but at least it was short.

Mondo Kane
05-03-12, 12:32 AM
I've had pretty good luck so far with my Commentaries Challenge. The first one I listened to wasn't great, but at least it was short.

As expected, Joe Bob redeems that with his track ("EWWW! PEE-STAIN!!!")

My commentarython (Hey! I like that!) is going well too.
The goal is to just bounce around from all decades and genres---Nothing similar will be watched (Or rather, listened to) back to back. That should keep things fresh.

Dimension X
05-03-12, 02:53 PM
As expected, Joe Bob redeems that with his track ("EWWW! PEE-STAIN!!!")
Steckler did have some interesting stories, but he fell into just-describing-what's-going-on-onscreen mode a few too many times. I don't know if I hate that or silence worse.

At least when Joe Bob Briggs is just describing the action, he's also making fun of it. I have a few more of his commentaries to look forward to for later in the month.
The goal is to just bounce around from all decades and genres---Nothing similar will be watched (Or rather, listened to) back to back. That should keep things fresh.
That's one of the things that sold me on the idea. I have commentaries for horror, comedy, action, and I'm sure a few more genres I'm forgetting. Should keep me from getting burnt out.

Trevor
05-03-12, 03:40 PM
Here's the up-to-date participants list from the list thread. Let me know if I've made any errors for your entry (bad link, incorrect Challenge description, etc.)
I'm doing poorly in my Stuff I'll Probably Sell After the Challenge Challenge.

I started with the film FarCry on Tuesday night. A horrible film so far, but it's making me think, with my lifelong videogame passion and collecting, that videogame films should be one of my 20 or so "collecting niches".

walletboyniac
05-03-12, 04:01 PM
Steckler did have some interesting stories, but he fell into just-describing-what's-going-on-onscreen mode a few too many times. I don't know if I hate that or silence worse.

I hate it when they start pointing out their buddies and/or family. Guess what? No one gives a shit.

05-03-12, 05:30 PM
I guess my challenge is called "Loose Threads with a Side of Noir". I have some movies and a tv series I started in recent challenges that I ran out of time for before I could finish them.

lisadoris
05-04-12, 06:33 AM
Watched Ride with the devil yesterday and while I usually love Ang Lee's films, this one just didn't do anything for me. I know Lee was trying to make a personal, local story about the Civil War but i just couldn't get past hoping that all of the main characters failed because, whatever their personal motivations, they were in league with the Confederacy. Plus, it was a really slow moving film. Jeffrey Wright was brilliant as always and at first I wondered why it took him so long to realize he was fighting for the wrong side but after his character had his epiphany I realized he didn't know what freedom felt like so it almost made sense that he would not leave the group.

Spiderbite
05-04-12, 08:31 AM
I'm gonna jump in this soon. I have just been too busy with work this week to get it started.

terrycloth
05-04-12, 09:10 AM
had a horrible outting last month by being sick in bed sleeping for two weeks, but feeling better and off to a good start to knocking out my to watch pile!

gp1086
05-04-12, 12:23 PM
Got in one of my letter "A"s with The Avengers at midnight.

Indy24LA
05-04-12, 07:48 PM
Watching Ironclad aka Medieval Magnificent Seven for the Historical Challenge.

mrcellophane
05-05-12, 02:13 AM
Got in one of my letter "A"s with The Avengers at midnight.

How was it? I'm excited to see it!

If you want an interesting experience, juxtapose a couple episodes of Rumpole of the Bailey with Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. There's nothing like following Brits pontificating about the law with indie-music-soused teens falling in love in New York.

BobO'Link
05-05-12, 08:51 AM
I watched the My Living Doll set I recently purchased. It is a very enjoyable series. My biggest gripe is that it's obvious in many of the episodes on this set that Bob Cummings wanted to make it *his* show when it's truly about Julie Newmar's character, Rhoda the Robot. When the focus of the scene is on her it truly shines although it's hard to not watch and think "cliche" at times. Then you remember that this show started some of those cliches and it was all fresh when it initially aired. I've not researched it yet but I kept wanting to know if those "control switch" moles belong to Ms. Newmar and they worked them into the scripts or if they were makeup.

One of the bonus features is an episode of The Bob Cummings Show. I didn't like this as much as My Living Doll, mainly due to the type of character Mr. Cummings played - essentially a lothario. His constant mugging also hurt the show IMHO. I've read a few reviews which indicate the character and mugging are what make the series so that would explain why I didn't much care for the episode. I have very vague recollections of seeing a few episodes of this one as a kid (probably re-runs somewhere as I was a bit too young during it's initial airings) but nothing sticks out which indicates I probably didn't much care for the series even back then. But apparently lots of people disagree as it ran for 5 seasons.

lisadoris
05-05-12, 09:10 AM
Has discovered that listening to Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding at obscene volumes is a perfect way to begin a Saturday! My only complaint about the Shake! Otis at Monterey film is that there's virtually no video of Otis during "Try a Little Tenderness." His presence on stage was so electric plus the entire set is 20 minutes, the crowd montage during that song is disappointing.

BobO'Link
05-05-12, 09:44 AM
Has discovered that listening to Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding at obscene volumes is a perfect way to begin a Saturday!
I could have told you that back in the late 60's... :D

Giles
05-05-12, 10:17 AM
hey Mondo - I dare you to watch and listen to the commentary track for Braveheart without A) falling asleep on it or B) going bonkers out of boredom

mrcellophane
05-06-12, 03:10 AM

Have you ever listened to the commentary for Chicago? If not, it is one of my favorite commentaries. The filmmakers relate several stories about making a film on a tight budget.

I've dived into The Vampire Diaries and am really enjoying the show. I was a bit surprised at how good it is since the series was a rather late arrival in the vampire craze. I also watched The Mirror Crack'd, one of those all-star cast Agatha Christie adaptations that where so popular in the last 1970s and early 1980s. It was a lot of fun, but I wish Angela Lansbury's Miss Marple had been given more to do.

Mondo Kane
05-06-12, 03:11 AM
^Haven't listened to Chicago (Don't own it)

hey Mondo - I dare you to watch and listen to the commentary track for Braveheart without A) falling asleep on it or B) going bonkers out of boredom

Don't own that one either :shrug: ....But maybe I can pick it up at my local buy/trade store (It helps that I've always liked the movie anyway)

As for all the commentary-listening I've done, I've noticed that the commentators always point out how freezing cold or how miserably hot a film shoot often goes. It's never in between :lol:

Ash Ketchum
05-06-12, 10:32 AM
^Haven't listened to Chicago (Don't own it)

Don't own that one either :shrug: ....But maybe I can pick it up at my local buy/trade store (It helps that I've always liked the movie anyway)

As for all the commentary-listening I've done, I've noticed that the commentators always point out how freezing cold or how miserably hot a film shoot often goes. It's never in between :lol:

Speaking of commentaries, yesterday I picked up STALAG 17 for under $5. It's got commentary by two of the cast members, Richard Erdman and Gil Stratton, and the co-author of the original play, Donald Bevan! I love it when I find classic films with commentary by their original creators, recorded while they're watching and not pieced together from interviews. The oldest one I have like that is DECOY (1946), a film noir on which the original author provides the commentary. I also have WINCHESTER '73 with commentary by James Stewart and THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL with commentary by the director, Robert Wise.

My favorite audio commentaries remain THE LONGEST YARD (1974), with Burt Reynolds, and MYRA BRECKENRIDGE (1970), with Raquel Welch. Those two are just delightful to listen to. (Now why doesn't someone team them up on either of the two films they made together--100 RIFLES and FUZZ?)

shadokitty
05-06-12, 11:38 AM
Changing my challenge up, to make it Documentary/Star Trek/Time Tunnel.

BobO'Link
05-06-12, 12:25 PM
I went to Best Buy yesterday with the grand kids to look for Skylanders characters and stumbled upon a TVonDVD sale with all sets of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea going for $9.99 each. I had sworn I wouldn't purchase any more of these beyond S1 as I had exchanged both S1 volumes several times each and *never* got a set that would play every episode without skipping/freezing at least once. My absolute *worst* experience with DVD18s. But... the price, not having seen any of the Flying Sub episodes since they originally aired, and my 50s/60s TV theme compelled me to take a chance and pick up S2/V1. I've made it through disk 1 (6 episodes) with no issues and am really enjoying the series. It's quite a bit more typical Irwin Allen than was S1. Spy action, war action, undersea action, sci/fi action, cheesy effects, implausible scripts, bad scale for some miniature photography, questionable science, everything you could ask for in a Irwin Allen adventure series! At this point in the season they'd not begun to overly rely on stock and re-used footage in spite of the apparent "budget busting" look of the first episode (very cheesy but somewhat expensive looking for the time). The quality of the DVD image is spectacular! I wish they'd done as good a job on Lost in Space as on this one. The theme song for the series was changed for the first two episodes but returned to the original with episode 3. The new one was good, but sounded too much like generic action/suspense bridging music and not very memorable. That may be why they went back to the original.

Ash Ketchum
05-07-12, 02:26 PM
I went to Best Buy yesterday with the grand kids to look for Skylanders characters and stumbled upon a TVonDVD sale with all sets of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea going for $9.99 each. I had sworn I wouldn't purchase any more of these beyond S1 as I had exchanged both S1 volumes several times each and *never* got a set that would play every episode without skipping/freezing at least once. My absolute *worst* experience with DVD18s. But... the price, not having seen any of the Flying Sub episodes since they originally aired, and my 50s/60s TV theme compelled me to take a chance and pick up S2/V1. I've made it through disk 1 (6 episodes) with no issues and am really enjoying the series. It's quite a bit more typical Irwin Allen than was S1. Spy action, war action, undersea action, sci/fi action, cheesy effects, implausible scripts, bad scale for some miniature photography, questionable science, everything you could ask for in a Irwin Allen adventure series! At this point in the season they'd not begun to overly rely on stock and re-used footage in spite of the apparent "budget busting" look of the first episode (very cheesy but somewhat expensive looking for the time). The quality of the DVD image is spectacular! I wish they'd done as good a job on Lost in Space as on this one. The theme song for the series was changed for the first two episodes but returned to the original with episode 3. The new one was good, but sounded too much like generic action/suspense bridging music and not very memorable. That may be why they went back to the original.

You just made me resolve to head to Best Buy after work to see if the nearest branch has that sale as well.

InnocentBlood
05-10-12, 11:56 PM
I'm unsure if someone has already thought about this but for next year's challenge, I'm going to do a whole bunch of movies which have sequels, prequels, spin-offs & reboots. don't know why but i woke up with that thought in my head this morning...

Indy24LA
05-13-12, 10:05 AM
Guess I'm the last person to see the Avengers (for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge). Still can't believe how good it was.

BobO'Link
05-14-12, 09:53 PM
Guess I'm the last person to see the Avengers (for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge). Still can't believe how good it was.
Nope - I've not seen it and will probably not see it until sometime after it arrives on DVD. How are you watching it for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge? That one doesn't start until July 1st.

BobO'Link
05-14-12, 09:56 PM
I had a minor set back viewing wise. We travelled to Amarillo, TX to see my new grandson! We left last Thursday and got home tonight. I must say, it was worth missing a few days of TV viewing for that! :)

gp1086
05-14-12, 10:09 PM
Been struggling to fill in the letters for "May Mix Up Challenge". Finished up watching Ghostbusters (1984) for the first time tonight to fill out the "G". Still planning on completing this thing!

mrcellophane
05-15-12, 02:56 AM
Took a break for a couple of days to go to my brother's graduation festivities. Had a great time and ate way too much steak and potatoes! Now, I'm starting a French reading course to fulfill a language requirement for my Masters degree, so I may have to scale back on my viewing.

I had a fun experience yesterday. I watched The Secret Life of Bees which features a scene in which two characters go see Surf Party at the local cinema. The by-all-accounts bad surfer flick is the same film that Enis and Alma go see in Brokeback Mountain. Now, I imagine the events of each film happening simultaneously in different states, and I believe that Jack and August would get along famously!

BobO'Link
05-15-12, 09:42 AM
I'll hoping to somewhat offset that TV-less trip this week as I took the entire week off to "sit around and watch TV" as a "wind down". If the wife doesn't come up with any honey-do's I'll be set. :D

05-15-12, 09:48 AM
Nope - I've not seen it and will probably not see it until sometime after it arrives on DVD. How are you watching it for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge? That one doesn't start until July 1st.

He's doing an All Challenge Challenge.

I'm planning on seeing it in theaters. I have the movie cash for the entire family, it's just a matter of actually doing it.

BobO'Link
05-15-12, 01:26 PM
He's doing an All Challenge Challenge...
Ahhh... I forgot about those doing that one. From what I hear/read it was a *very* good choice.

I finally saw Captian America over the weekend. While I enjoyed it I was somewhat surprised it contained very little "comic book movie" type action. I've never really read the comic so was only vaguely familiar with the back story. Even then, it somewhat hurt the film as I found myself constantly awaiting the next "big step" in Cap's history. Part of me kept waiting for it to turn into a "summer comic book film" and it didn't. Whether it's consistent with the comic or not (I've not researched it to see), I found it enjoyable in a very retro Sky Captain kind of way. I'm wondering if they'll do the same type treatment with Wonder Woman should it *ever* be filmed.

gp1086
05-15-12, 01:45 PM
Watched Lethal Weapon 2 last night and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. On par with the first one, in my opinion. Joe Pesci was excellent and a nice surprise - I always thought he didn't come until the third installment.

05-15-12, 02:51 PM
Ahhh... I forgot about those doing that one. From what I hear/read it was a *very* good choice.

I finally saw Captian America over the weekend. While I enjoyed it I was somewhat surprised it contained very little "comic book movie" type action. I've never really read the comic so was only vaguely familiar with the back story. Even then, it somewhat hurt the film as I found myself constantly awaiting the next "big step" in Cap's history. Part of me kept waiting for it to turn into a "summer comic book film" and it didn't. Whether it's consistent with the comic or not (I've not researched it to see), I found it enjoyable in a very retro Sky Captain kind of way. I'm wondering if they'll do the same type treatment with Wonder Woman should it *ever* be filmed.

I caught 2 minutes of Catwoman last night, flipping through the channels. It was some fight scene and it was godawful. I think the worst thing about it was the choice of music. It was some R&B song. There's a reason why R&B songs aren't normally used in action sequences. I realized the only reason they called it Catwoman was so they could give this crappy movie a higher profile but that just causes the pendulum to swing that much harder the other way when it turns to crap.

The only reason it should have been made was if they had to do it to keep a license for it and even then, you pull a Fantastic Four and just never release it.

GoldenWheels
05-15-12, 07:17 PM
I caught 2 minutes of Catwoman last night, flipping through the channels. It was some fight scene and it was godawful. I think the worst thing about it was the choice of music. It was some R&B song. There's a reason why R&B songs aren't normally used in action sequences. I realized the only reason they called it Catwoman was so they could give this crappy movie a higher profile but that just causes the pendulum to swing that much harder the other way when it turns to crap.

The only reason it should have been made was if they had to do it to keep a license for it and even then, you pull a Fantastic Four and just never release it.

I caught the same showing. Different two minutes...but I didn't make it much longer than you! Woof! (meow?)

Greg MacGuffin
05-16-12, 10:30 AM
Watched Lethal Weapon 2 last night and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. On par with the first one, in my opinion. Joe Pesci was excellent and a nice surprise - I always thought he didn't come until the third installment.

Lethal Weapon 2 is great. I remember my dad took me and my brother to see it at the drive-in when it first came out. Due to nostalgia, I think it's actually my favorite in the series.

BobO'Link
05-16-12, 08:25 PM
You just made me resolve to head to Best Buy after work to see if the nearest branch has that sale as well.
I had good luck with VTTBOTS S2V1 so I went by today to pick up S2V2. If your local store doesn't have them in stock they are on sale for that price on the BB website (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=MO_Classic_TV_20120408&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q4d4f5f436c61737369635f54565f3230313230343038~~nccat02015%23%230%23%2314&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n) with free shipping (the link is to the full list of $9.99 titles). There are several TV seasons/volumes at that price.

gp1086
05-16-12, 09:32 PM
I was excited to check out Mulholland Dr for the first time tonight. Then I turned on my TV, went to DVR list, selected the recorded program, and bam...blank screen. Shut off TV and tried again, still no luck - damn. Right next to it was Meet the Deedles, so that got the watch instead and filled my second "M" of the challenge. Was pretty dreadful to make it through what I believe was Paul Walker's first leading role in a feature film, but I did it. Think this DVD is OOP, as it's running pretty expensive on Amazon.

Screwadu
05-18-12, 08:27 PM
I just finished the 43rd movie on my list and I have come to the conclusion that movie critics and experts are full of shit. Seriously, a full 3/4 of these are the drizzling shits. Specifically, WTF "Vampyr"?? Not to mention those terrible, terrible experimental films that up until I saw them considered them parodies of things which did not exist in real life. Like on "The Critic", I was all LOL ROFL no way is this shit real. Oh yes, it's real. And far shittier than you can imagine. Willy Wonka could not imagine the pure awful of some of this crap. And I must see it before I die? Fuck you, movie snobs! Fuck you in your virgin everything! No more psychotropic inverted photographic-negative lunch-whistle soundtracked garbage! I'm going back to shit with plots! Where I don't have to "interpret" shit! Like Batman! Which is on the list!

Shit is awful, B.

gp1086
05-18-12, 11:17 PM
I just finished the 43rd movie on my list and I have come to the conclusion that movie critics and experts are full of shit. Seriously, a full 3/4 of these are the drizzling shits. Specifically, WTF "Vampyr"?? Not to mention those terrible, terrible experimental films that up until I saw them considered them parodies of things which did not exist in real life. Like on "The Critic", I was all LOL ROFL no way is this shit real. Oh yes, it's real. And far shittier than you can imagine. Willy Wonka could not imagine the pure awful of some of this crap. And I must see it before I die? Fuck you, movie snobs! Fuck you in your virgin everything! No more psychotropic inverted photographic-negative lunch-whistle soundtracked garbage! I'm going back to shit with plots! Where I don't have to "interpret" shit! Like Batman! Which is on the list!

Shit is awful, B.
I hear you. If I'm going to complete a "list", it's going to be the IMDB 250 - since it's a mix of reviews/ratings from both critics and more casual movie watchers.

I watched Army of Darkness the other night. Have to say that I can't call myself a fan of the Evil Dead series. The first two bad, but I guess kind of fun - really didn't like this one though.

BobO'Link
05-19-12, 07:01 AM
I just finished the 43rd movie on my list and I have come to the conclusion that movie critics and experts are full of shit. Seriously, a full 3/4 of these are the drizzling shits. Specifically, WTF "Vampyr"?? Not to mention those terrible, terrible experimental films ...
I've never seen that film so looked up a few reviews just to see what critics/experts say. One comment struck me: "If you go into Vampyr looking for inert entertainment you're bound for nothing but frustration..." That single comment screams "ART FILM" which is s a genre I've *never* much cared for and generally try to avoid. Like you, I don't want to *have* to look for "meaning" in a film. I watch to be entertained. I once looked at that "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" list and shrugged it off as the majority of it looked like Art Film material. I know it's not fair, but every time a "must see" film is a non-English language film I automatically assume it's an Art Film and promptly ignore it. The few exceptions to that is if the film is in either Japanese or Chinese or labeled as Sci-Fi/Horror. Those I'll research first. I admire your tenacity attempting such a list considering your general dislike for the Art Film.

walletboyniac
05-19-12, 07:34 AM
I just finished the 43rd movie on my list and I have come to the conclusion that movie critics and experts are full of shit

Was Leonard Maltin involved? Cuz that dude's a colossal douche.

I've finished seasons 3 & 4 of Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, and have 2 Melissa Joan Hart movies to go. This includes Drive Me Crazy. Deep Hurting! Once I start in on the other stars/guests/what not, I think it will be fun again.

mrcellophane
05-19-12, 11:00 AM
I just finished the 43rd movie on my list and I have come to the conclusion that movie critics and experts are full of shit. Seriously, a full 3/4 of these are the drizzling shits. Specifically, WTF "Vampyr"??

I glanced at your list and agree that a lot of those films are not for everyone. I may be in the minority, but I love art house, avant-garde, and experimental films. Some of these films really explore the ramifications and test the boundaries of what a film can be. Of course, entertainment has historically been the primary motivation behind filmmaking, especially since it is an art form that only came around after capitalism. Anyway, I'm yammering, and just wanted to provide an contrasting view that these films are not shit, but innovative and influential pieces of cinema. Of course, my opinion may be moot since my friends often call me a film snob, a declaration I try to negate by pointing out that Wet Hot American Summer, Batman Returns, and Rat Race are among my favorite movies.

I'm finding out about several authors whose books have largely forgotten. Joan Crawford's Humoresque, a film that I watched yesterday, was based on a short story by Fannie Hurst. Hurst's books are mostly out of print, but were also the basis of both adaptations of Imitation of Life. She strikes me as another Edna Ferber whose forgotten books were adapted into memorable films.

05-20-12, 05:17 PM
I've never seen that film so looked up a few reviews just to see what critics/experts say. One comment struck me: "If you go into Vampyr looking for inert entertainment you're bound for nothing but frustration..." That single comment screams "ART FILM" which is s a genre I've *never* much cared for and generally try to avoid. Like you, I don't want to *have* to look for "meaning" in a film. I watch to be entertained. I once looked at that "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" list and shrugged it off as the majority of it looked like Art Film material. I know it's not fair, but every time a "must see" film is a non-English language film I automatically assume it's an Art Film and promptly ignore it. The few exceptions to that is if the film is in either Japanese or Chinese or labeled as Sci-Fi/Horror. Those I'll research first. I admire your tenacity attempting such a list considering your general dislike for the Art Film.

I have to disagree on the 1001 movies list. I've seen about 3/4 of them and most of those aren't close to being art films. Another tip-off on art film is when people say that it's a visual film.

http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/amos+vogels+film+as+a+subversive+art/ on the other hand, is a complete pile of shit. Films with dudes having sex with each other isn't groundbreaking unless one isn't aware that there's tons of other homemade films just like the ones in the list. Stag films aren't groundbreaking, especially when the ones on that list aren't all that old.

http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/jonathan+rosenbaums+essential+films/
This guy has a chunk of films that you used to find in the middle of the night on Cinemax and Showtime. I'd know since that's when I saw a bunch of these. The ones I'm talking about are usually late 80's to early 90s detective style crime films with bad saxophone music.

I'm of the opinion that most art and art critics have a job that's less about the art and more about being able to sell an artist. That's why you can have a painting come out from nowhere that people go ape shit over until they find out who the real artist is, and then it's not great anymore. So basically it's all one big circle jerk.

BobO'Link
05-20-12, 07:19 PM
I have to disagree on the 1001 movies list. I've seen about 3/4 of them and most of those aren't close to being art films.
It *has* been a very long time since I looked at that list and my memory is pretty clouded about the true contents. I remember thinking that I'd never watch many of the films on the list and it seemed like there was an over abundance of "foreign language" films, which I somewhat unfairly and automatically put in the "art film" category.

Based on your comment I gave it another look. I currently have 271 films checked on that list and there are another 32 or so I would willingly select to watch. The rest fall into the category of "I'll only watch it if someone else makes the choice". There *still* seems to be an over abundance of foreign language films. While I don't avoid them they typically are not among my top choices as they take more active viewing than most due to the need to use subtitles. Generally foreign language films *must* be of a genre I typically watch *and* be significant in the genre. Most of those on that list do not fit that description.

05-20-12, 10:30 PM
I'd say about half the foreign ones in the list I've seen weren't bad. I watched a lot of older American ones and those were mostly pretty good. The one thing that site has made me do is realize I hate most French cinema. French films where the main actor is supposed to be a tough guy makes my eyes hurt from the amount of eye rolling it induces.

Mondo Kane
05-21-12, 01:50 AM
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/jonathan+rosenbaums+essential+films/
This guy has a chunk of films that you used to find in the middle of the night on Cinemax and Showtime. I'd know since that's when I saw a bunch of these. The ones I'm talking about are usually late 80's to early 90s detective style crime films with bad saxophone music.

Care to list which ones they are? :)

*Back to topic* I really need to pick things up. Thought I would've averaged about 3 or 4 movies a day, but it's clear that I got too much in a comfort zone with just 2 movies. Starting this week, That's gotta change!

lisadoris
05-21-12, 07:43 AM
Starting the DS9 portion of this challenge. Let's see how many episodes I can watch between now and the 31st.

Undeadcow
05-21-12, 10:11 AM
Kudos to zaphod2467 for his End of the World challenge, that is an excellent idea.

Seeing all the challenges catching up on unwatched movies/tv non-challenges (like my own) makes me wonder if the Make Your Own Challenge hasn't become stale and meaningless.

05-21-12, 11:42 AM
Care to list which ones they are? :)

Give me some time and I'll dig up some names. It's been awhile since I've seen and checked them.

Here's an indie one in the same style. It's got the sax in the background and time travel. What they did with the background wasn't that bad but if someone is walking forward, the background doesn't need to be panning to the left or right.
http://ubu.com/film/rappaport_exterior.html

Dimension X
05-21-12, 12:19 PM
*Back to topic* I really need to pick things up. Thought I would've averaged about 3 or 4 movies a day, but it's clear that I got too much in a comfort zone with just 2 movies. Starting this week, That's gotta change!
I'd only expected to watch about two a day, but I'm way behind on my Commentary Track Challenge. Earlier in the month, I had some other stuff come up that ate into my movie watching time, and I just haven't gotten back into it yet.

Seeing all the challenges catching up on unwatched movies/tv non-challenges (like my own) makes me wonder if the Make Your Own Challenge hasn't become stale and meaningless.
It looks like about a quarter of the lists are "unwatched piles" Challenges. During the first two MYOCs, I was against allowing that as a theme (especially since there are already "unwatched pile" threads), but I decided not to argue against it, and to allow "unwatched" as a theme this time. What do the rest of you folks think? Should "unwatched" be allowed as a MYOC theme or not?

05-21-12, 02:00 PM
Should "unwatched" be allowed as a MYOC theme or not?

Heck yeah. For some of us, this is one of the few times a year we can watch things we normally don't get around to due to other challenges. Some people might not have enough unwatched to do a more specific type of challenge, so a general one like that would help.

Greg MacGuffin
05-21-12, 02:28 PM
What do the rest of you folks think? Should "unwatched" be allowed as a MYOC theme or not?

I would say no. There is already an Unwatched thread every month, run by cardsfan. I think part of the appeal of this challenge is seeing the creative ideas that people come up with. It seems like if people have a large enough unwatched pile, they should be able to come up with some kind of unifying theme. For example, I'm doing a foreign language challenge, but most of my titles are from my unwatched pile, so I'm killing two birds with one stone.

Having said all that, I don't really care what other people watch.

BobO'Link
05-21-12, 07:21 PM
...It looks like about a quarter of the lists are "unwatched piles" Challenges. During the first two MYOCs, I was against allowing that as a theme (especially since there are already "unwatched pile" threads), but I decided not to argue against it, and to allow "unwatched" as a theme this time. What do the rest of you folks think? Should "unwatched" be allowed as a MYOC theme or not?
I lean towards the "only if there is a theme of sorts *in* the unwatched pile" camp. That is, *use* the unwatched pile as your sole source but have some type theme other than "Watch Stuff From My Unwatched Pile". I thought about doing a "Unwatched Pile" theme bit it felt like a copout simply because the only person who knows what's in the pile(s) is the person who owns the pile(s). So.... I used mine but added a theme of watching *only* 50s/60s TV. *Everything* I'm watching is from my "unwatched" TV pile *but* only stuff from those 2 decades. That left out *tons* of other TV series I'm itching to get to but it restricts me enough so that it feels more like a true "theme". If I didn't specifically mention I'm only watching from the unwatched piles no one would be any the wiser.

So... all that to say. I vote *against* using strictly/only "Unwatched" as a theme in the future.

Indy24LA
05-21-12, 08:07 PM
Should "unwatched" be allowed as a MYOC theme or not?

I vote sure... I like how the Make your own challenge plays fast and loose with the rules compared to other challenges.

Cardsfan111
05-21-12, 09:14 PM
I lean towards the "only if there is a theme of sorts *in* the unwatched pile" camp.

So... all that to say. I vote *against* using strictly/only "Unwatched" as a theme in the future.

If asked my opinion, that's how I see things as well. I focus on my unwatched pile every month, so I try to do something to narrow the focus somehow for the MYOC.

zaphod2467
05-22-12, 12:20 AM
Kudos to zaphod2467 for his End of the World challenge, that is an excellent idea.

Thanks. I'm having a blast :D re-watching a lot of favorites I haven't seen in a while.

Undeadcow
05-22-12, 09:58 AM
What do the rest of you folks think? Should "unwatched" be allowed as a MYOC theme or not?

I vote against allowing just "unwatched" as a theme... I agree it's important to at least narrow it down.

Screwadu
05-22-12, 11:46 AM
I vote against it on the grounds it's not even a challenge. You're going to watch your unwatched pile anyway.

Dimension X
05-22-12, 12:12 PM
I lean towards the "only if there is a theme of sorts *in* the unwatched pile" camp. That is, *use* the unwatched pile as your sole source but have some type theme other than "Watch Stuff From My Unwatched Pile". I thought about doing a "Unwatched Pile" theme bit it felt like a copout simply because the only person who knows what's in the pile(s) is the person who owns the pile(s). So.... I used mine but added a theme of watching *only* 50s/60s TV. *Everything* I'm watching is from my "unwatched" TV pile *but* only stuff from those 2 decades. That left out *tons* of other TV series I'm itching to get to but it restricts me enough so that it feels more like a true "theme". If I didn't specifically mention I'm only watching from the unwatched piles no one would be any the wiser.

I vote against allowing just "unwatched" as a theme... I agree it's important to at least narrow it down.

Yeah, this is the way I see it, too. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with some sort of unifying theme to tie your unwatched stuff together.

As of now, I'm leaning toward adding something next time to the third guideline saying not to use "unwatched" as a theme since we already have the unwatched threads.

Edit: Looking closer at the list thread, there really aren't many people that are using just "unwatched" as a theme. Most people have zeroed in on Blu-rays, or included NetFlix, so they would be okay if I had added the bit about the unwatched threads to this year's guidelines.

05-22-12, 01:30 PM
I vote against it on the grounds it's not even a challenge. You're going to watch your unwatched pile anyway.

I beg to differ. My unwatched pile is somewhere over 5,000 titles. If catching up on that isn't a challenge, I don't know what is.

BobO'Link
05-22-12, 01:43 PM
^ -eek- But that's far more than enough to have a more unifying theme than a generic "watch stuff in my unwatched pile". You're just trying to bait us! :)

05-22-12, 02:16 PM
I'll admit that I'm lucky on one hand to be able to do a challenge and be able to watch as many as I can in that month, never running out of titles to watch. On the other hand, I'm not running out of titles to watch and I also sometimes get stuck trying to pick something.

I think if someone has something like 30 unwatched movies, it's not that bad of a challenge to try to finish them all, just to finally get caught up on them since they might not be someone that normally watches something daily.

If someone else has the same amount but wants to do a theme, not really touching their unwatched stuff, that's fine too. Of course this is what I was doing in the past and now I have too much stuff to watch and not enough time.

BobO'Link
05-22-12, 05:23 PM
^I feel your pain. I have nowhere near 5000 unwatched titles - mine is more like 300-400 movies and 200-300 TV seasons. I've also gotten stuck trying to select a title from those piles at times as I'll have a dozen or more from which to chose and all sound good. I've fallen into the "buy new titles just for a challenge" trap more times than I can count and then don't find time to actually watch them! I've done it for this one! Up to today I've purchased a full season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and a 6 disk Wagon Train anthology. This in spite of having enough qualifying titles in my unwatched piles to do the same challenge for several months while hitting 100+ entries per month. Of course it's the more lax TV entry method but that's *still* a lot of TV. My biggest problem is I tend to purchase more than I watch so the unwatched piles continue to grow and grow.

05-22-12, 07:47 PM
TV sets are the worst. You spend hours watching it and your only accomplishment is removing 1 from your unwatched count. Even worse if the TV set is an entire series and not just a season.

BuddhaWake
05-22-12, 08:46 PM
this is exactly how i feel. and like you I have I would say 1500-2000 unwatched. at least. I could make a challenge out of almost anything.

Mondo Kane
05-24-12, 02:57 AM
The one thing that site has made me do is realize I hate most French cinema. French films where the main actor is supposed to be a tough guy makes my eyes hurt from the amount of eye rolling it induces.

I tend to agree, but here's some that I didn't have much problems with:
Wages of Fear
Le Samourai
Touchez pas au grisbi
Le Professional (Even though Belmondo is a funny lookin' mofo, I felt he pulled it off here)

Cardsfan111
05-24-12, 09:43 AM
My alphabet challenge finally gave me the incentive to knock out Quick Change from my unwatched pile. Surprised it's taken me so long to see it for the first time.

GoldenWheels
05-24-12, 09:46 AM
You guys have made me feel a LOT better about the size my unwatched pile. Thanks! :lol:

gp1086
05-24-12, 12:03 PM
How do you all define "unwatched"? Do you mean movies/shows you own but haven't seen before? Or is it ones that you may/may not have watched before, but have not watched since you owned?

Cardsfan111
05-24-12, 12:07 PM
Personally, I define it as films/TV shows that I've bought and never played the discs. I may have seen the movie in a theater or the television show when it aired or as I was growing up.

05-24-12, 02:03 PM
I tend to agree, but here's some that I didn't have much problems with:
Wages of Fear
Le Samourai
Touchez pas au grisbi
Le Professional (Even though Belmondo is a funny lookin' mofo, I felt he pulled it off here)

I liked Wages of Fear and Le Professional but Le Samourai was borderline eye rolling.

How do you all define "unwatched"? Do you mean movies/shows you own but haven't seen before? Or is it ones that you may/may not have watched before, but have not watched since you owned?

I count them as things I own but I haven't watched that disc/tape/etc yet. If I buy something, I should at least watch it, otherwise what's the point in even buying it?

gp1086
05-24-12, 03:15 PM
I count them as things I own but I haven't watched that disc/tape/etc yet. If I buy something, I should at least watch it, otherwise what's the point in even buying it?
Fair point, sir. I agree.

Unfortunately that definition increases my "unwatched" pile significantly. :(

BobO'Link
05-24-12, 08:59 PM
You guys have made me feel a LOT better about the size my unwatched pile. Thanks! :lol:
Well, at least for me, *you* are a *direct* contributor my my current pile! This includes both DVDs I've won in these challenges and DVDs I've purchased from Hamilton Books! For both I say *THANKS*! -biggrin-

BobO'Link
05-24-12, 09:05 PM

Personally, I define it as films/TV shows that I've bought and never played the discs. I may have seen the movie in a theater or the television show when it aired or as I was growing up.

This exactly. Something I've purchased but haven't opened and watched. I've seen many (over 50%) of the titles in my unwatched/unopened piles at some point in my life. For this reason I *try* to remember to use "unopened" rather than "unwatched" as it's more reflective of the true nature but I don't always succeed. :D

Undeadcow
05-25-12, 11:18 AM
Mister Peepers, BuddhaWake, BobO'Link, and others if you can find Innkeepers in your massive unwatched pile, go for it right now. Innkeepers is amazing.

Regarding the previously unmentioned Captain America (I know there are at least 2 people doing superhero challenges), I thought it was artfully executed but shallow fluff. The style was good enough to make me want more material. It felt like the Red Skull was under developed and they skipped the whole "man out of time" angle that is a more interesting part of CA comic. Captain America is not a rehash of a Spider-man nerd trying to cope with new found power; but a tale of an iconic figure struggling with change. Red Skull in the comics was a campy but pervasive archnemesis but here he barely interacts with CA coming across like a bare plot vechicle. Plus the silly near constant attempts to tie in Marvel continuity from other comics often felt forced and rarely payed off. Still an enjoyable movie, but not as great as it could have been.

If you're into dark cynical superhero movies Super wasn't bad and has a nice punch to it. Kick-Ass is ok but I felt the comedic mid-section with that miscast Christopher Mintzdasd person drag it down.

Attack the Block has an energetic score and is a solid film but the marijuana comedy hurts the pacing and feels out of place in an otherwise fast gory sci-fi romp with nice social undertones.

Avoid Haywire and Colombiana. ...but if you're in the mood for action check out Predators, which although imperfect with struggling characterization pulls it together for a satisfying finale.

...says Undeadcow to make up for lack of participation in discussion to this point.

Cardsfan111
05-25-12, 11:22 AM
Mister Peepers, BuddhaWake, BobO'Link, and others if you can find Innkeepers in your massive unwatched pile, go for it right now. Innkeepers is amazing.

For Premium Members, there's currently a contest with the prize being a BD of The Innkeepers. I'm hoping it will be in my unwatched pile soon. :D

Dimension X
05-25-12, 11:41 AM
Well, at least for me, *you* are a *direct* contributor my my current pile! This includes both DVDs I've won in these challenges and DVDs I've purchased from Hamilton Books! For both I say *THANKS*! -biggrin-
If it'll help you out any, I can take your name out of the random drawing (and replace it with mine). :)

Trevor
05-25-12, 01:05 PM
Starting the DS9 portion of this challenge. Let's see how many episodes I can watch between now and the 31st.
Have been enjoying your trek. While I may never go back and finish my attempt of the same, I at least want to watch DS9 someday soon. TOS I've watched dozens of times; TNG I watched every episode as it aired; but DS9 I got behind early, but knew I loved it and have planned a marathon of it for years. Maybe I'll start in July for the Sci-Fi Challenge.
I think if someone has something like 30 unwatched movies, it's not that bad of a challenge to try to finish them all, just to finally get caught up on them since they might not be someone that normally watches something daily.
That makes since. And I agree with some of the earlier comments in that I think it's better if everyone had some sort of theme to their "unwatched challenge"; although I wouldn't care much if people did not.
For Premium Members, there's currently a contest with the prize being a BD of The Innkeepers. I'm hoping it will be in my unwatched pile soon. :D
Sorry. I called dibs on that one.

Screwadu
05-25-12, 01:46 PM
Just finished movie #50, Come Drink With Me. Cheng Pei-pei really should have been a bigger star than she was.

05-25-12, 04:11 PM
Avoid Haywire and Colombiana.

Columbiana looked like they were trying to ride the coat tales of Salt, which wasn't bad but not worth imitating.

Ash Ketchum
05-25-12, 06:11 PM
Just finished movie #50, Come Drink With Me. Cheng Pei-pei really should have been a bigger star than she was.

She had a nice run as a star from 1965-71 at Shaw Bros. in a wide range of genres: COME DRINK WITH ME, THE LOTUS LAMP (where she played a man), THE MONKEY GOES WEST, PRINCESS IRON FAN, DRAGON SWAMP, THAT FIERY GIRL, DRAGON CREEK, THUNDERING SWORD, HONG KONG NOCTURNE, BLUE SKIES, GOLDEN SWALLOW, RAW COURAGE, THE JADE RAKSHA, THE FLYING DAGGER, THE GOLDEN SWORD, LADY OF STEEL, BROTHERS FIVE, THE LADY HERMIT and THE SHADOW WHIP, to name the ones I've seen. Then she went over to Golden Harvest in 1973-74 and made two cheap films there, ATTACK OF THE KUNG FU GIRLS and WHIPLASH, and called it a day, working only intermittently in the 1980s, before coming back as a character actress in the 1990s.

But she's great in the 25 Shaw Bros. films she made from 1964-72.

lisadoris
05-25-12, 06:37 PM
Have been enjoying your trek. While I may never go back and finish my attempt of the same, I at least want to watch DS9 someday soon. TOS I've watched dozens of times; TNG I watched every episode as it aired; but DS9 I got behind early, but knew I loved it and have planned a marathon of it for years. Maybe I'll start in July for the Sci-Fi Challenge.
You totally should, I'm only on season 2 and it's already engrossing. I should be on Voyager by then and I'd love to read someone's comments on what is clearly the better show.

BobO'Link
05-25-12, 07:56 PM
You totally should, I'm only on season 2 and it's already engrossing. I should be on Voyager by then and I'd love to read someone's comments on what is clearly the better show.
??

Do you mean comments on:

1. The "better show" in the entire Trek cannon

2. The "better show" between DS9 & Voyager

3. DS9

4. Voyager

Color me confused...

lisadoris
05-25-12, 08:51 PM
I meant DS9 is the better (actually best IMHO) show in the Trek cannon. Reading people's comments on DS9 will remind me what I love about Trek. While I'm watching VOY there will be times I forget what good Trek look like.

davidh777
05-25-12, 10:32 PM
I never watched the Trek spinoffs on TV, so when they came out on DVD I tried to do a multi-year challenge of watching each series during that calendar year. I only saw a few seasons of TNG, then watched five seasons of DS9, then all seven of Voyager. So I never finished DS9 before I went on to Voyager, then by that time I gave up and never got to Enterprise other than a couple episodes on the Collective series. So one of these days, perhaps for the Sci-Fi challenge, I need to finish the last two seasons of DS9, which is my favorite series after TOS... I think.

walletboyniac
05-26-12, 04:33 AM

I've got to second The Innkeepers. It really is a great ghost story. Best horror movie I've seen in a while.

Indy24LA
05-28-12, 09:47 AM
Watching the Brady Bunch Movie for the Leap Day challenge (70s meets the 90s) and this hits my goal for the month.

mrcellophane
05-28-12, 10:20 AM
Watching the Brady Bunch Movie for the Leap Day challenge (70s meets the 90s) and this hits my goal for the month.

Congrats! Remember watching this when it came out and really enjoying it.

SterlingBen
05-28-12, 12:03 PM
Just hit 100 :banana:

Dimension X
05-28-12, 02:03 PM
Just hit 100 :banana:
Congrats. I wish I'd gotten a little closer to my goal. Well, there's always next year.

Here's the list of participants that I will use for the random drawing on Friday morning:

acubfaninmd
Bladz
BobO'Link
BuddhaWake
CardiffGiant
cardsfan111
Chad
coyoteblue
critterdvd
Darkgod
davidh777
Giles
Gobear
gp1086
hbsvb
indy2003
Indy24LA
InnocentBlood
Jeffy Pop
jmsmath
KaBluie
lisadoris
Mister Peepers
Mondo Kane
mrcellophane
MrTerrific
NoirFan
omike
pagefrance
popcorn
Screwadu
shadokitty
SnapDawg
SterlingBen
terrycloth
Trevor
Undeadcow
walletboyniac
zaphod2467

Please let me know if you see any mistakes.

Three people (not included in the list above) claimed list spots and haven't listed anything yet. One of those folks recently deleted his/her list, so I guess he/she is out, but you two left still have until Thursday night to update your lists, and I'll add you to the drawing list.

Once again, if you don't want to be included in the drawing for some reason, or you won't be around a computer June 1-8, let me know (PM me). I've done two Challenge drawings so far, and I've only had about a 50% success rate on giving GoldenWheels' stuff away to the first picks. It's making me self-conscious.

coyoteblue
05-28-12, 07:53 PM
Finished my list. Worked out to about half movies/half shorts. Found out some interesting things, like, I don't have any dog moves, that is to say, movies staring dogs. Thought I had some Lassie movie laying around, but no, not even A Boy and His Dog. Found out about two cool goat movies, Revenge of Billy the Kid (1992) and Artois the Goast (2009), which I now see is available on Hulu.

Screwadu
05-29-12, 01:09 PM
About to tackle the LOTR films. Never seen them before.

shadokitty
05-29-12, 01:38 PM

Have fun, I have all 3.

shadokitty
05-29-12, 01:40 PM
Been on a music listening kick lately, so I haven't watched anything in a while, gonna start again tonight, and try to finish strong at least.

05-29-12, 03:00 PM

Extended or theatrical?

BobO'Link
05-29-12, 03:33 PM

Have fun, I have all 3.
Ditto. I take a day every year to watch all 3 extended editions back to back. It's a *long* but fulfilling day. :)

davidh777
05-29-12, 03:37 PM
I have all three too--what are the odds?! :)

(May finally bite on the BD extendeds since they're back down to $49 at Amazon for this week.)

Screwadu
05-29-12, 04:26 PM
Extended or theatrical?

Somehow I ended up with the 1st and 3rd theatrical, the 2nd extended.

gp1086
05-29-12, 09:59 PM
Need to hammer down and complete this challenge (my goal) over the next couple days.

Just finished watching The Edge (1997) with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. This was recommended to me after The Grey came out earlier this year. Personally I give this the edge (no pun intended) over The Grey.

lisadoris
05-30-12, 12:29 PM
I want to finish Season 3 of DS9 by tomorrow but I'm being distracted by tennis and baseball. It's not fair!

Ash Ketchum
05-31-12, 05:31 AM
Well, I just added my list of kung fu films seen in May to the Lists Thread. (Please don't include me in the prize drawing.) My goal was to see at least 20 before adding my list to the list thread, just to prove I was serious, but I only made it to 17. I started five others, but didn't finish them. Four are period films so I can finish them starting tomorrow for the Historical Challenge.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5329/7190994380_c322779010.jpg

Dimension X
05-31-12, 08:01 AM
Well, I just added my list of kung fu films seen in May to the Lists Thread. (Please don't include me in the prize drawing.) My goal was to see at least 20 before adding my list to the list thread, just to prove I was serious, but I only made it to 17. I started five others, but didn't finish them. Four are period films so I can finish them starting tomorrow for the Historical Challenge.
Glad to see you were playing along.

Speaking of the prize drawing, if all goes as planned, the three winners should have congratulatory PMs from me, and their names should be posted in this thread, by this time tomorrow. Good luck to everyone.

Trevor
05-31-12, 08:12 AM
Speaking of the prize drawing, if all goes as planned, the three winners should have congratulatory PMs from me, and their names should be posted in this thread, by this time tomorrow. Good luck to everyone.
Show off.

BuddhaWake
05-31-12, 08:18 AM
looking forward to my email. hahah, but kidding aside, I'm a bit dissapointed at myself for not meeting my goal of 50. I will do 1 more this evening, I could possibly push for 2, but I will still be short by 7-8.

Dimension X
05-31-12, 08:19 AM
Show off.
looking forward to my email. hahah, but kidding aside, I'm a bit dissapointed at myself for not meeting my goal of 50. I will do 1 more this evening, I could possibly push for 2, but I will still be short by 7-8.
Okay, but I said the winners will be notified by PM, not email.

I was hoping to be just 25 short of my goal of 50, but I'm not sure if I'll hit it. :(

BuddhaWake
05-31-12, 08:29 AM
well, I get an email saying I have a PM, so it works out after all. :-)

I seem to always get burned out near the end. maybe I don't pace myself correctly, plus it seems that I get analysis paralysis of sorts when tring to pick something from my extensive backlog that I lose steam before I even pick something to watch. sad really.

05-31-12, 11:11 AM

Okay, but I said the winners will be notified by PM, not email.

I was hoping to be just 25 short of my goal of 50, but I'm not sure if I'll hit it. :(

I shoot for 50 on challenges now and I'm only going to clear 40. I've been getting sucked into watching things like Pawn Stars and that ends up eating a few hours.

Getting stuck with a dull movie also drags me down. I had to force myself to finish Mr. Arkadin last Friday, which I couldn't get into and then I didn't really watch anything else over the weekend. Nobody in the movie was likable. Arkadin was either some over the top clown or a cunning villain but mixing the two personalities together didn't work at all for me.

Cardsfan111
05-31-12, 03:23 PM
Completed my Alphabet Challenge successfully, watching a film and a television show beginning with each letter of the alphabet. I'll have to add up my totals, but I'd say the majority were first time viewings.

Screwadu
05-31-12, 05:06 PM
Just finished Rope, my 69th film. I've never been a fan of Hitchcock, but I really tried to like this movie. But the gimmick...I know there was all sorts of clever repartee and witty banter going on but I couldn't stop watching the gimmick. Now on to #70, another film I have never seen before: Clerks.

Giles
05-31-12, 11:03 PM
... and done! finito!

gp1086
05-31-12, 11:09 PM
Watched Night Falls on Manhattan (1997) with Andy Garcia and Richard Dreyfuss yesterday. Not a bad film, but nothing amazing. Not sure it's worth the CRAZY amounts people are selling it for on Amazon, even if it's out of print.

Final title was watched tonight, a DVD I own but had never watched, Police Academy (1984). Not too bad and an easy watch.

Unfortunately I fell two letters short of completing my "May Mix-Up Challenge". I missed "U" which would have been Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (probably watch soon since have the Netflix blu ray) and an "L", which would have been Let The Right One In.

Enjoyed this challenge. Nice to change it up. Probably going to take it easy during the historical one (may watch a few) since there's a bunch of stuff in theaters being released I want to check out, in addition to many non-historical titles.

Dimension X
06-01-12, 12:37 AM
Well, I didn't get around to watching as much as I'd hoped to, but there never seems to be enough time in a month. Even when I watch a whole lot of stuff, there's always more to watch.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated. We had a few people who didn't come back this year, but a few new Challengers took their places. Thanks for joining us. Hope you all had fun, and hope to see you all next time.

Now, let's get on to the important stuff:

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii523/DimensionX-1/1334603900.jpg (http://hamiltonbook.com)

Three winners were chosen at random from the list of participants (using Random.org). Those three winners get to pick their own prizes from HamiltonBook.com.

The three winners of the random drawing are:

shadokitty
acubfaninmd
Darkgod

Check your PMs.

Thanks again to GoldenWheels and the great folks at Hamilton Books!

If your name wasn't picked, don't give up hope. The winners have a week to select their prizes, and any unclaimed prize opportunities will be re-gifted on June 8.

lisadoris
06-01-12, 06:12 AM
Thanks Dimension X for hosting this challenge.

I was hoping to do two passes through the "All Challenges" Challenge but an actual vacation got in the way. I did manage to get through 3 Seasons of DS9 (I thought I'd only get through two). Now I have to finish the rest of the series so I can start Voyager for the Sci-Fi Challenge.

shadokitty
06-01-12, 07:13 AM
Thanks Dimension X for hosting this Challenge. When I figure out what I want, I'll let you know, I think I have it narrowed down to two or three possibilities right now.

BobO'Link
06-01-12, 09:09 AM
I'd fully intended to wrap up with some episodes of Rawhide to get double checkoffs with the Historical Challenge BUT that unopened S3V2 set of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea kept calling and I finished up with the first disk from that one with a late night marathon.

Congratulations to the winners!

Thanks to GoldenWheels again for prizes!

And last, but not least, thanks to Dimension X for running the challenge!

Now off for a bit of documentary watching, appropriately enough I'll be starting with a set which documents the events and people of the 60s (my MYO challenge was 50s/60s TV shows).

gp1086
06-01-12, 09:34 AM
Thanks for your good work with this challenge, DimensionX!

Trevor
06-01-12, 10:23 AM
Thanks for another great Challenge running Dimension X!

I wish I got through more piles of my Challenge objective stuff, but work and family stuff filled most of the month.

I feel like I'm over "the hump" on learning and adjusting to my new-found responsibilities of family-dom; and I'm actually consistently thinking of the Challenges and watching at least something most weeks. It will get better as I keep unpacking and organizing, but I doubt I'll ever be back to more than an hour a day average. Makes me sad, but hey, I'm still "with you all" regularly and all of the other hours of my day are fun too; so change is good sometimes (at least that's what I keep repeating to myself).

GoldenWheels
06-01-12, 11:23 AM
Hey Trevor I sent you a PM about the March challenge, not sure if you got it. Check your box amigo.

mrcellophane
06-01-12, 02:31 PM
Dimension X, thanks for hosting a wonderful challenge! I enjoyed it very much! Everyone had such great ideas and I loved reading lists of other participants.

I ended up with 57 entries. This consisted of 42 television episodes, 31 films, and two television miniseries. All of the television episodes were first viewings, as were 21 of the films. The biggest pleasant surprise was The Secret Life of Bees, a film I got for a dollar and expected to be a sanguine, cloying story; however, it ended up being a beautiful story of well drawn characters and a compelling plot. The biggest disappointment was Paper Man which sank under its too deliberate quirkiness.

Vampire Diaries and Rumpole of the Bailey, the two television series that I watched were at different ends of the spectrum: a supernatural teen drama and a contemplation of the foibles of the British legal system. Both were very enjoyable and engaging. Vampire Diaries is much better than it really needs to be, and I've been annoying my friends by connecting everything - and I mean everything - to episodes of Rumpole.

NoirFan
06-01-12, 02:45 PM
Congrats to the winners, thanks to Hamilton Books and Dimension X! My final tally was pretty pathetic - 16 of 42 unwatched Blu-rays. I did manage to get to get a decent chunk done from the first seasons of Star Trek and Twilight Zone, so that's less to watch in those categories during the Sci-Fi challenge.

omike
06-01-12, 04:22 PM
Well, I'd hoped to do better than my 30 movies but stuff happens. On the other hand, I had a great time exploring some of the poverty row studios of the 1930's and 1940's (I never made it to the 50"s!). I hadn't intended to focus on low budget stuff but so many were just so darned entertaining I couldn't resist just one more. Anyway, I had a great time with what I watched.

Thanks to Dimension X for organizing this get together and to GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books. It is so cool that the company consistently supports the challenges. There were some really good ideas for challenges so congratulations to the all the participants and especially the winners. I sure hope we can find out what you picked as prizes.

I'd fully intended to wrap up with some episodes of Rawhide to get double checkoffs with the Historical Challenge BUT that unopened S3V2 set of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea kept calling and I finished up with the first disk from that one with a late night marathon.

BobO'Link, I was watching your list closely because I particularly liked your theme. (Not to mention the giant Phil Silvers that stopped me every darn time!) I've been a Voyage fan for a long while, since it originally aired actually, and I was totally awed when I saw how you just blew through those half season sets AND ended the challenge with a mini-marathon! Outstanding! But seriously, didn't you find yourself waking up in the middle of the night once or twice yelling "Damage control, report!" :D

Dimension X
06-01-12, 05:57 PM
I sure hope we can find out what you picked as prizes.
You will (It's right there in the small print in the first post :"I will announce the prizes chosen so we can all be envious and/or amused by the selections."). That came up last year, so I made sure to remember to state up front this time that their picks would become public knowledge.

Mondo Kane
06-01-12, 06:26 PM
Got in a little over 50 (Way below than I envisioned) but it was still a fun challenge.

Congrats to the winners and thanks to Dim-X and the other participants.

BobO'Link
06-01-12, 09:57 PM
BobO'Link, I was watching your list closely because I particularly liked your theme. (Not to mention the giant Phil Silvers that stopped me every darn time!) I've been a Voyage fan for a long while, since it originally aired actually, and I was totally awed when I saw how you just blew through those half season sets AND ended the challenge with a mini-marathon! Outstanding! But seriously, didn't you find yourself waking up in the middle of the night once or twice yelling "Damage control, report!" :D
:lol: Thanks! I'd actually wake up going "Crap! Fell asleep on one *again*!" and restart the episode where I left off. :D

That shot of Phil Silvers was chosen because it pretty much summed up how I felt as I chose that particular theme. A "Well here's another nice kettle of fish you've gotten us into!" sort of feeling. Yeah, I know... different comedian but the face says it all. While I went into it feeling like it was a kind of cop out it was actually lots of fun. While I love movies I *really* love "good" TV and will typically chose a TV program over a movie most nights and especially late at night because they're easier to re-watch/catch up with if sleep takes over.

I surprised myself with those Voyage half seasons. I'd not seen any episodes of Voyage since its original airings and had missed all of S2-4 due to its move to Sunday night. I remember looking forward to the premiers of Voyage and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. over all the other new series in Fall of 1964. Watching those episodes was *lots* of fun! I almost didn't purchase those seasons due to playback issues I'd had with S1 and the mostly poor reviews of S3 & S4, but a $9.99/volume price at Best Buy coupled with a desire to see some color episodes with the Flying Sub won out. Season 2 was great and I'm happy to say I really enjoyed S3, in spite of its over reliance on the "monster of the week" format and extra cheesy storylines, so much so that I purchased all of S4 a few days ago.

And speaking of good TV, my copy of Maverick - S1 came in today. I'm off to watch a few episodes of that one for the Historical Challenge. :)

Undeadcow
06-02-12, 03:43 PM
Thanks to Dimension X for hosting!

Indy24LA
06-02-12, 06:09 PM
I big thanks to Dimension X for hosting a fun and engaging challenge. I reached my goal of watching at least 2 entries for each monthly challenge. Got in some stuff I didn't have time for with the Oscar challenge this year, so I'm happy. Special thanks to Golden Wheels, not just great that you supply the prizes, but that you participate as well.

Dimension X
06-03-12, 09:47 PM
If your name wasn't drawn last Friday, and you're hoping for a second-chance drawing, keep your fingers crossed, because I've only heard from one of the winners so far.

shadokitty was the only winner to post in this thread after the winners were announced, and the only one to PM a prize pick to me (I've sent your info along to GoldenWheels). I'm still waiting to hear from acubfaninmd and Darkgod.

Here's shadokitty's prize pick:

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, VOLUME TWO: Season Two.
(http://www.hamiltonbook.com/hamiltonbook.filereader?4fc96e66002255b5271dd8b1903b06dc+EN/products/7463154)

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii523/DimensionX-1/Voyage.png

GoldenWheels
06-04-12, 10:58 AM
Hitting the mail today shado, enjoy and congrats!

Undeadcow
06-04-12, 11:05 AM
Cool avatar, GoldenWheels.

shadokitty
06-06-12, 01:11 PM
Just letting you know my copy of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea arrived today GoldenWheels. Thanks.