Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Good Theaters in New York Philadelphia region

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-16-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to get on some mailing lists of theaters in the New York / Philadelphia / New Jersey area that show 70mm prints or just show good classic movies in general.

In the HD Talk Lawrence of Arabia thread, a reference was made to the AFI Silver theater in Maryland. Anything like this in the region I'm asking about? I'd rather not drive 3.5 hours if I don't have to.

My goal specifically is to to see 70mm prints of Lawrence of Arabia AND 2001: A Space Odyssey. It has become my life's mission.
Old 04-16-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Good Theaters in New York Philadelphia region

I found this link of 70mm capable theaters, not much in PA unfortunately.

http://www.redballoon.net/current70mmus.html

I know the local Rave theater in Saucon Valley usually has one older movie showing a week, plus special events. I saw Casablanca there the other week, The Godfather recently showed and they are showing Godfather 2 soon.
Old 04-16-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

In New York the last large single-screen theater is the Ziegfeld. It has 70mm capability and occasionally shows classic fims.
Old 04-16-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IFC Center for classic movies in NYC - especially on the weekends. Have only been there once and the theater was small unfortunately.

http://www.ifccenter.com/
Old 04-18-12, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mh4268
I found this link of 70mm capable theaters, not much in PA unfortunately.

http://www.redballoon.net/current70mmus.html

I know the local Rave theater in Saucon Valley usually has one older movie showing a week, plus special events. I saw Casablanca there the other week, The Godfather recently showed and they are showing Godfather 2 soon.
Hmm. I wasn't aware that Rave ever showed anything but the latest releases. I'll have to check out their offerings more closely. Thanks.

May 3 for Godfather II.

Last edited by CRM114; 04-18-12 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-18-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Rave in University City does special screenings. I met Danny Boyle there when he showed 127 Hours.

For NYC, make sure to get on the mailing list of the artiest of the arthouse cinemas, and the only "autonomous non-profit cinema house" in the city, Film Forum. They don't have huge screens, so don't expect 70mm showings, but they are showing the new restoration of La Grande Illusion, for example.

The DGA theater has 70mm capabilities, but I'm pretty sure they only do screenings for guild members and their guests.
Old 04-19-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For 35mm showings of classic films, maybe have a look see at:

http://www.bigscreenclassics.com

Scroll to the bottom and you can sign up on their e-mail list. Of the theaters listed, have a look especially at the Lafayette Theatre (located in New York, just north of the border with New Jersey). The Lafayette does Saturday morning screenings of classic films; I believe they have a regular Spring and Fall series. The Spring series has already started, but you can still catch MOULIN ROUGE, DEAD END, VERA CRUZ, and WOMAN IN THE WINDOW in the coming weeks.
Old 04-19-12, 04:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

the Museum of Moving Image in Astoria NY has 70mm capability - they had a mini 70mm fest when they reopened in 2011 - they showed '2001'
Old 04-20-12, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
the Museum of Moving Image in Astoria NY has 70mm capability - they had a mini 70mm fest when they reopened in 2011 - they showed '2001'
And if you're going there during warm weather, the beer garden is not too far away!