Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Saddest movie death?

JumpCutz
04-16-12, 01:07 AM
Bambi's mother
Debra Winger - Terms of Endearment
James Caan- Brian's Song
The dog- I Am Legend
Jon Voight-The Champ
Jake Gyllenhaal- Brokeback Mountain
Sean Penn- Milk
Robin Wright- Forrest Gump

Who else?

resinrats
04-16-12, 01:23 AM
I remember feeling sad when the mother died in Beaches.

Brooklyn
04-16-12, 01:29 AM
The kitten at the beginning of Winter Passing.

bcd
04-16-12, 01:29 AM
Anthony Edwards - Top Gun

Still gets me every time...

danfindlay
04-16-12, 01:33 AM
Spock - Wrath of Kahn
Old Yeller
William Wallace - Braveheart

Troy Stiffler
04-16-12, 01:49 AM
To stay topical, Leo in Titanic. Still hearbreaking. Million Dollar Baby. Unacceptably moving and hurtful. Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon. Andy didn't really die. But still moving.

I prefer the epic, uplifting deaths.

Braveheart
Spike in Cowboy Bebop
Arnie in T2
Guy/Girl in Aliens duct chase scene
Italian Guy in The Fall
Leon in The Professional

Paul1957
04-16-12, 02:20 AM
King Kong and any real animal character (Old Yeller), don't know why but when an animal dies in a film It really affects me. Humans:

The girl in Bridge to Terabethia
Michael Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile
Bruce Willis in Armageddon
The two kids in Grave of the Fireflies

MrSmearkase
04-16-12, 02:44 AM

Very true. I literally just finished watching this for the umpteenth time on one of the HBO channels, and her scene saying goodbye to her two sons still gets me.

Trout
04-16-12, 04:27 AM
Willem Dafoe- Platoon

rw2516
04-16-12, 05:00 AM
Connery-Untouchables

TGM
04-16-12, 05:09 AM
Michael Keaton in My Life
Old Yeller

joliom
04-16-12, 06:06 AM
Anything with a faithful dog dying. Old Yeller and My Dog Skip are like emotional torture.

trespoochies
04-16-12, 08:03 AM
Roberto Benigni in Life is Beautiful

starman9000
04-16-12, 08:08 AM
Artax in the Neverending Story.

Michael Corvin
04-16-12, 08:09 AM
Ellie Fredricksen - Up

Dr. DVD
04-16-12, 08:23 AM
Very true. I literally just finished watching this for the umpteenth time on one of the HBO channels, and her scene saying goodbye to her two sons still gets me.

Sad fact: my grandmother on my father's side died of cancer when he was only 12. Apparently the last time he ever saw her alive she had a blue bow in her hair just like Debra Winger's character. I was too young to see this in the theater , but my mom said it was the first time she ever saw my dad cry at a movie. I think the second was Marley and Me. Again, animals get to people.

The Infidel
04-16-12, 08:58 AM
Sometimes it's more the response to the death onscreen that gets to you, as opposed to the actual death. I thought Rocky's reaction to Mickey's death was heart-wrenching. Well-played by Stallone.

Another good one along those lines was Ewan McGregor/Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge. You would have thought Nicole was actually dying there in his arms.

dugan
04-16-12, 09:16 AM
E.T.

Even though it's: not permanent

Hokeyboy
04-16-12, 09:23 AM
Pan's Labyrinth...
although you could also argue it's an uplifting death as well. Depending on how much you accept to be reality.

TGM
04-16-12, 09:26 AM
queue someone bitching about lack of spoiler tags in 3... 2...

DVD Josh
04-16-12, 09:29 AM
queue someone bitching about lack of spoiler tags in 3... 2...

Forum rules are that if the title of the thread indicates the content will be spoiler-ish, no tags are necessary.

reverie
04-16-12, 09:45 AM
The second death in Serenity (as if you couldn't guess by my signature!)

mickey65
04-16-12, 09:48 AM
Ruth - Fried Green Tomatoes
Dog - Marley & Me
Million Dollar Baby

Just a few off the top of my head. Pretty sure there is more...

redrum
04-16-12, 09:53 AM
http://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/films/images/photos/simonbirchlrg.jpg

bootsy
04-16-12, 09:56 AM
Ricky - Boyz N The Hood
Tyrone - Apocalypse Now
Pvt. Hudson - Aliens
Benny - City of God
Michael - Road To Perdition
Brooks/Tommy - Shawshank Redemption

dom56
04-16-12, 10:23 AM
Hachi: A Dog's Tale

Made me cry like a baby.

inri222
04-16-12, 10:25 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/katateh/Balthazar.jpg

kefrank
04-16-12, 10:32 AM
The Elephant Man makes me sob like a little girl.

Also, Hooch's death in Turner & Hooch.

Rockmjd23
04-16-12, 10:35 AM
Since she was a detestable human being, I didn't find this sad at all.

#1 for me is definitely "Brooks was here"

TheySentYou
04-16-12, 11:45 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/katateh/balthazar.jpg

balthasar!

TheySentYou
04-16-12, 11:48 AM
Albert Finney in Big Fish
Samantha Morton in Jesus' Son
Bjork in Dancer in the Dark
Robert de Niro in 1900
that family man who committed suicide in La Dolce Vita

Michael Corvin
04-16-12, 11:59 AM
Since she was a detestable human being, I didn't find this sad at all.

It's the scene and the emotion you feel for Forest that gets you, not Jenny's death. Tom Hanks fuckin' sold that scene.

argh923
04-16-12, 12:57 PM
Marley from Marley and Me. You know the whole movie it's gonna happen, but man...I get teary even thinking about that movie.

Also, Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

SuckaMC
04-16-12, 01:03 PM
Robert Duvall and the other astronauts in Deep Impact. That's rough stuff.

Obey The D
04-16-12, 01:03 PM
#1 for me is definitely "Brooks was here"

Gets me everytime I watch that movie.

rexinnih
04-16-12, 01:32 PM
Ricky - Boyz N The Hood
Tyrone - Apocalypse Now
Pvt. Hudson - Aliens
Benny - City of God
Michael - Road To Perdition
Brooks/Tommy - Shawshank Redemption

:rip: Game over, man. Game over............

DaveyJoe
04-16-12, 01:51 PM
You know, a good way to format responses would be to list the actual movie title first, then the character that dies. That way you can avoid spoiling films for others. It's nice to see the title first so you can keep glancing at further responses to avoid being spoiled. When you start with the character name, by the time you get to the movie it's already been spoiled. If you really want to be thoughtful you could do this:

Movie Title: character died omg

cpgator
04-16-12, 02:20 PM
My Girl - Culkin

Shannon Nutt
04-16-12, 02:24 PM
Christopher Reeve in Somewhere In Time.

Spock in Star Trek II.

IstvanTheHun
04-16-12, 02:35 PM
Albert Finney in Big Fish
Samantha Morton in Jesus' Son
Bjork in Dancer in the Dark
Robert de Niro in 1900
that family man who committed suicide in La Dolce Vita

Robert De Niro in 1900?

are you referring to the vague ending where both De Niro and Depardieu may or may not kill themselves by lying on the train tracks? otherwise, they technically do NOT die in that film.

IstvanTheHun
04-16-12, 02:42 PM
Bambi's mother
James Caan- Brian's Song
The dog- I Am Legend
Jon Voight-The Champ
Jake Gyllenhaal- Brokeback Mountain
Sean Penn- Milk

Who else?

#1 by a mile, saddest:

De Niro and Jeremy Irons in The Mission.

also: Spock in Star Trek II
Sean Connery in The Untouchables
Tom Hanks in Saving Prvt Ryan
Tommy Lee Jones in Heaven & Earth
Christopher Walken in The Deer Hunter

superdeluxe
04-16-12, 02:46 PM
Hachiko - Hachiko: A Dog's Story ;(

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNDQ4NjkzMjQ3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTUzNzgyNA@@._V1._SX640_SY427_.jpg

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/2009_Hachi__A_Dog_s_Tale/009HKO_Joan_Allen_018.jpg

draven31
04-16-12, 02:50 PM
The second death in Serenity (as if you couldn't guess by my signature!)

seconded.. I hadn't watched the show before seeing the movie. It was very sad , very Whedon but it wasn't until I watched it on DVD ( I had seen the show by then)that it truly ripped my heart out..

superdeluxe
04-16-12, 03:02 PM
For those that have seen the movie Hachiko, here is the reunion scene between Joan Allen's character and Hachiko:

http://youtu.be/7vYW3yQzV1c

Screwadu
Charlotte's Web (1973)
Charlotte

Mountain Biker
American History X

Danny Vineyard

Groucho
04-16-12, 03:09 PM
Private Wilhelm, The Charge at Feather River

TGM
04-16-12, 04:14 PM
Robert Duvall and the other astronauts in Deep Impact. That's rough stuff.

Bruce Willis in Armageddon... not the death itself, or the cheesy interaction with the daughter, but at the end, when the guy says "I'd like to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I've ever met", that gets me choked up a little.

Ash Ketchum
04-16-12, 04:14 PM

But what a legacy! :D

GoldenJCJ
04-16-12, 04:22 PM
Agreed. I just can't get it out of my head. Everywhere I turn, I hear his voice screaming in agony!

madcougar
04-16-12, 04:32 PM
My son cried inconsolably at Marley & Me, so much so that it made me cry.

whoopdido
04-16-12, 04:35 PM
For those that have seen the movie Hachiko, here is the reunion scene between Joan Allen's character and Hachiko:

http://youtu.be/7vYW3yQzV1c

Still can't bring myself to watch this movie, or the original. I couldn't even watch the clip.

Regarding Jenny in Forrest Gump...yeah I couldn't care less about Jenny herself. She was a bitch. Forrest cared deeply for her though and her death ends up being extremely sad, not because she dies, but because Forrest lost her.

And Balthazar was great one.

islandclaws
04-17-12, 10:43 AM
Apollo Creed!

I always thought it was sad when Farnsworth ate a shotgun special in Misery.

raven56706
04-17-12, 10:58 AM
My list

Gandalf - Fellowship of the Ring
Josh Harnett's character in Pearl Harbor
That dog from the movie with the dog name on the title
Spock in Star Trek 2

Dean Kousoulas
04-17-12, 11:17 AM
Tom Hanks in Philadelphia.

Mr. Flix
04-17-12, 11:52 AM
The first death that came to mind when I saw this thread was Julia Roberts in Steel Magnolias. Yes, I know, I should hand in my man card. But I was 14 when I saw that movie and really struggled to hold back tears during Sally Field's graveyard breakdown.

The other death that really ripped me to shreds was Bjork's in Dancer in the Dark.

Now, the cynical part of me needs to point out that I wanted to cheer at the deaths in Forrest Gump and Marley and Me. Jenny and that destructive, completely unlovable dog deserved to die.

kefrank
04-17-12, 11:57 AM
Gandalf - Fellowship of the Ring

Not super sad, but Boromir is another pretty emotional death in Fellowship. Although you question his character throughout the film, there are strong themes of redemption and brotherhood when he dies.

draven31
04-17-12, 11:57 AM
The first death that came to mind when I saw this thread was Julia Roberts in Steel Magnolias. Yes, I know, I should hand in my man card. But I was 14 when I saw that movie and really struggled to hold back tears during Sally Field's graveyard breakdown.

First one I thought of as well.

superdeluxe
04-17-12, 11:59 AM
My list

That dog from the movie with the dog name on the title

Hachiko?

Ash Ketchum
04-17-12, 12:00 PM
11-year-old Liz Taylor in JANE EYRE (1944)--absolutely heartbreaking.

DJariya
04-17-12, 01:41 PM
Madeline Stowe's character in Tony Scott's Revenge.

When I saw that movie for the 1st time about 20 years ago, I teared up. Heartbreaking scene.

wishbone
04-17-12, 02:13 PM
That dog from the movie with the dog name on the titleHachiko?Indiana Jones had a lot of fond memories of that dog.

thematahara
04-17-12, 02:45 PM
Micheal Keaton - My Life

jfoobar
04-17-12, 02:46 PM
The wolf, Lone Wolf McQuade. :)

rw2516
04-17-12, 02:54 PM
King Kong

Trance97
04-17-12, 04:22 PM
Ghosts -Patrick Swayzeeven though he's already dead, When Demi's character sees his him before he goes to the other side. Gets me all teared up everytime.

JesseCuster
04-17-12, 04:23 PM
Archy Hamilton's (Mark Lee) death at the end of Galiipoli. You know it's probably coming but it's still totally shattering.

The death of Debra Winger's character in Terms of Endearment also gets me. And it's finally because she's one of us. She isn't a superhero. She isn't a soldier. She's just a mom and a wife and she gets cancer and dies. It's too much like reality.

JumpCutz
04-17-12, 05:31 PM
Ghosts -Patrick Swayze

Was that the sequel to Ghost?

Michael Corvin
04-17-12, 05:54 PM
Micheal Keaton - My Life

Damn, I forgot about that movie. Damn depressing.

CloverClover
04-17-12, 06:23 PM
Roberto Benigni in Life is Beautiful

so true, this is the best example for me. it makes you feel a loss as if someone you know has died, and that the world is a worse place without him.

PatD
04-17-12, 07:27 PM
Officer Marvin Nash in "Reservoir Dogs".

I've never seen an innocent character in a movie get wrung through such a brutal wringer in such a short time just to be snuffed out mercilessly in the end. Kirk Baltz sold that character's agony and anguish better than most A-listers.

Solid Snake
04-17-12, 07:33 PM
King Kong

which one?

Cardiac161
04-17-12, 08:30 PM
Godfather III:
I know Sophia Coppola was a bad actress but Pacino's portrayal of Michael Corleone on the death of his daughter was really devastating.

antspawn
04-18-12, 12:21 AM
Transformers The Movie 1986 when Optimus Prime died

When Neo and Trinity died in Matrix 3.

Firestarter when her dad died.

Philadelphia

Charlie Goose
04-18-12, 12:45 AM
Riff, Bernardo, & Tony in West Side Story.

Chadm
04-18-12, 12:51 AM
The saddest movie death of all time was when Pearl Harbor was murdered by Michael Bay.

brayzie
04-18-12, 01:41 AM
Saving Private Ryan...

When that one guy was killed at the end by the German soldier. The German got on top of him and was slowly pushing the knife towards the US soldiers chest. The US guy started saying, "wait, wait, don't do it..." and the German was just going "Shhh shhh."

It was pretty sad because it seemed more plausible and emotionally realistic than all the chest beating you see when characters die in other films.

rw2516
04-18-12, 05:03 AM
which one?

All of them

Michael Corvin
04-18-12, 07:13 AM
Saving Private Ryan...

When that one guy was killed at the end by the German soldier. The German got on top of him and was slowly pushing the knife towards the US soldiers chest. The US guy started saying, "wait, wait, don't do it..." and the German was just going "Shhh shhh."

It was pretty sad because it seemed more plausible and emotionally realistic than all the chest beating you see when characters die in other films.

That was a great scene.

Unclejosh
04-18-12, 11:26 AM
Saving Private Ryan...

More disturbing than sad I think and this scene made me not only hate Jeremy Davies character more than any other in film history but I also hated the actor because it was hard for me to see him without thinking of that scene.

Kurtie Dee
04-18-12, 11:38 AM
Bob the robot in <i>The Black Hole</i>, and you know who in <i>Million Dollar Baby</i>.

johnglass
04-18-12, 02:21 PM
This is probably the first movie to make me cry (I was about 10 when it was released).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAhrqKqK_cA

The Champ

Edit: Shit, didn't see it listed in the first post!

nando820
04-18-12, 03:15 PM
Saving Private Ryan...

That was brutal...and yeah it send chills down my spine, and yeah it was very real cause sometimes death can be so unassuming and direct.

hasslein
04-19-12, 11:29 AM
Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Heston kills everybody

But seriously, Escape from the Planet of the Apes

Cornelius, Zira, & Solomay

DieselsDen
04-19-12, 02:14 PM
Godfather III:
I know Sophia Coppola was a bad actress but Pacino's portrayal of Michael Corleone on the death of his daughter was really devastating.

Absolutely.

Al Pacino's silent scream...the montage of Michael Corleone dancing with the women he loved...the final shot of him living to a ripe old age...and the accompanying Intermezzo from "Cavalleria Rusticana"...It all made up for one of the most affecting deaths I've ever seen on cinema.

superdeluxe
04-19-12, 02:27 PM
More disturbing than sad I think and this scene made me not only hate Jeremy Davies character more than any other in film history but I also hated the actor because it was hard for me to see him without thinking of that scene.

Ohhh yeah I remember being pissed off at Jeremy Davies.

JamesDFarrow
04-19-12, 04:29 PM
Where's all the older people on here?

Shelley Winters in the "The Poseidon Adventure" (1972)

James

rw2516
04-19-12, 05:34 PM
Where's all the older people on here?

Shelley Winters in the "The Poseidon Adventure" (1972)

James

Seeing Gene Hackmam go was a bigger bummer.

devilshalo
04-19-12, 07:05 PM
Do movies based on true stories count?

United 93

Spottedfeather
04-19-12, 08:17 PM
E.T.

Even though it's: not permanent

I never thought that what happened to E.T. was death. I've always seen it as falling into a coma because he was separated from his people for too long. After all, once his heart stopped, the doctors stopped paying attention to him. His heart could have kept beating only once a minute or something like that.

As to what deaths I think are the saddest...
Littlefoot's mom in Land Before Time
King Kong...especially the '76 version
Spock in Wrath Of Khan
Murron in Braveheart
the Terminator in T2
Patch Addams
(not quite a death, but still dying) Johnny 5 in Short Circuit 2
Randy Quaid in Independence Day
(wether you believe in it or not) the beating and murder scene in Passion Of The Christ

and not a movie, but Superman dying in Superman #75

Dr. DVD
04-19-12, 08:59 PM
Seeing Gene Hackmam go was a bigger bummer.

I think both Hackman and Winters' deaths had a good impact. This IMO is an illustration of the importance of getting decent actors for movies that might be B-level in nature. The Poseidon Adventure is a pretty cheesy movie, but because the actors did such a fine job, I actually cared about the characters. Very much the opposite of the 2006 movie.

While it didn't make me cry, Boromir's death in FOTR was quite powerful, as he was fighting to redeem himself.

Traxan
04-19-12, 09:51 PM
Master & Commander -- Warley's drowning. The way the ship leaves him behind, men cheering below while officers are anguished on deck. The lack of a sequel for this movie is a crime.

Ostello
04-19-12, 10:27 PM
Don't think anyone mentioned this one...

Michael Clarke Duncan - 'The Green Mile'

Time Warrior
04-20-12, 01:28 AM
A few that had me close to wailing;

1) Wallace Beery in The Champ (1931)

2) What happens to John Barrymore in Grand Hotel (1932) - so senseless given he has just found love.

3) Clifton Webb's character in The Razor's Edge (1946).

4) The two key death scenes in Goodbye Mr Chips (1939).

5) Boris Karloff in The Ghoul (1933) - Again, both of his death scenes are terrific.

6) The primary character in Peeping Tom (1960) - impaling himself on a camera tripod whilst also filiming his own death. A man who was dreadfully abused by his father and know no other way out.

7) What happens to the vampire's mother in Brides of Dracula (1960)

8) Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars (1977) - huge impact at the time I first saw it.

9) Sinhuet in The Egyptian (1954) - "I leace this for your children - and your children's children. It is a poor legacy but it is all I have."

and the most impactful death scene in the history of film, at least for me;

10) Charlton Heston in El Cid (1961).

FRwL
04-20-12, 02:10 AM
^Uh i have not seen El Cid but ou should probably have spoilered that one.

Charlie Goose
04-20-12, 05:40 AM
Old Yeller :(

Willard
Socrates

Turner & Hooch
Hooch!

Anubis2005X
04-20-12, 06:14 AM
Lord of the Rings - Boromir and Theoden
The Fountain - Izzi

rw2516
04-20-12, 09:38 AM
Tracy Bond-On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Hokeyboy
04-20-12, 11:56 AM
The Avengers - Hawkeye

Greg MacGuffin
04-20-12, 12:46 PM
The Avengers - Hawkeye

:lol:

whoopdido
04-20-12, 01:30 PM

Yup. Corporal Upham is probably my most hated character in the history of cinema.

DJariya
04-20-12, 01:38 PM
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I recall a pretty sad death scene with Jeff Bridges wife on White Squall. I believe they were caught in a storm and the ship sank and she was trapped in a lower compartment and Bridges character wasn't able to save her. He watched helplessly as the ship sank to the bottom of the ocean with her watching.

They didn't really show it, but I thought Costner drowining in Message in a Bottle was pretty sad too.

FRwL
04-20-12, 04:44 PM
Tracy Bond-On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Spoiler.

Match
04-20-12, 06:09 PM
Life as a House

MrSmearkase
04-20-12, 08:15 PM
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I recall a pretty sad death scene with Jeff Bridges wife on White Squall. I believe they were caught in a storm and the ship sank and she was trapped in a lower compartment and Bridges character wasn't able to save her. He watched helplessly as the ship sank to the bottom of the ocean with her watching.

They didn't really show it, but I thought Costner drowining in Message in a Bottle was pretty sad too.

While not a movie, you've reminded me of Lost;

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9LOfdLMqsyU/S8D6JPk-dKI/AAAAAAAABGQ/lZlnek_ww5U/s1600/Not+Penny's+Boat.JPG

JumpCutz
04-20-12, 09:45 PM
Yup. Corporal Upham is probably my most hated character in the history of cinema.

Jeremy Davies must be a really good actor to make you feel such hate for a character who is essentially good...albeit very weak.

foofighters7
04-21-12, 11:39 AM
'Bullhead' had one of the more sympathetic characters I've seen in awhile and a very sad ending to a sad person as well.

That's just a recent one I would mention. Not a dramatic death necessarily but that's what I thought of.

GoldenJCJ
04-21-12, 01:04 PM
While not a movie, you've reminded me of Lost;

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9LOfdLMqsyU/S8D6JPk-dKI/AAAAAAAABGQ/lZlnek_ww5U/s1600/Not+Penny's+Boat.JPG
:up: Which caught me completely off guard considering that character had annoyed me throughout the show and I was hoping he'd be killed off. When it happened I was surprised by how much it affected me. That was a truly heartbreaking episode.

whoopdido
04-21-12, 02:19 PM
Jeremy Davies must be a really good actor to make you feel such hate for a character who is essentially good...albeit very weak.

Agreed. I like Jeremy Davies a lot. I thought his performance in SPR was probably the best of anyone.

You're right. He was a good person, but there's no room for good in combat. He was responsible, although not directly, for at least two of his fellow soldiers, including his captain, being killed simply because he was weak. In many ways you feel bad for him but you also hate his guts. Don't be such a pussy Upham.

lizard
04-22-12, 03:43 PM
I'll mention Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon death of Li Mu Bai, especially given the unrequited love of Yu Shu Lien

And I was also affected by some of the ones mentioned by others above:
The Fellowship of the Ring
Serenity
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (That was utterly shocking when I first saw it in 1969.)
Star Trek II (It didn't have the same impact anymore once the third movie came out).
The Professional
Master and Commander

Most of the movie deaths mentioned by others I haven't seen, in part because I prefer more upbeat stuff.

Trout
04-22-12, 04:42 PM
So, how many people went out and You-Tubed some of these scenes?

~~ PAL ~~
04-22-12, 05:59 PM
Little sister in Graves of the Butterflies.

arminius
04-22-12, 06:14 PM
The director in Tropic Thunder. Horrific in an otherwise funy movie.

Michael Corvin
04-22-12, 08:19 PM
:up: Which caught me completely off guard considering that character had annoyed me throughout the show and I was hoping he'd be killed off. When it happened I was surprised by how much it affected me. That was a truly heartbreaking episode.

:up: True testament to the writing on the show.

dhmac
04-22-12, 08:45 PM
The ending of The Plague Dogs

(assuming that, like me, you think the island seen in the end credits was merely symbolic)

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xpVU-JI8iF0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xpVU-JI8iF0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

whotony
04-22-12, 10:47 PM
Silent Running

When he had to shoot all the trees and plants off into space with the two little robots

A tv show but nothing was more sad to me then the episode of Futurama about Fry's dog. I don't even want to say the name if it because it upsets me.

whoopdido
04-22-12, 11:38 PM

(assuming that, like me, you think the island seen in the end credits was merely symbolic)

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xpVU-JI8iF0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xpVU-JI8iF0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Yikes. Never heard of this. I read up on it a little bit and I decided I'm just going to pretend that it has a happy ending.

arminius
04-23-12, 07:29 AM

I never saw the movie. In the book they are saved. Though that was added after the first edition. RAs stuff is really good. Hazel-Rahs end in Watership Down always brings me to tears.

inri222
04-23-12, 10:44 AM
In a Year of 13 Moons

JNielsen
04-23-12, 11:24 AM
The Mist

dgmayor
04-23-12, 01:17 PM

First one I thought of too. I was 12. I think the scene where the husband comes home to find the pot on the stove boiling over and the baby screaming was more upsetting to me than the actual death.

Spottedfeather
04-24-12, 03:38 AM
The all time saddest death scene has to be Hooch from Turner And Hooch. You can have all the people in the world die. I couldn't care less. But when it's a dog, that's going to far. I can't watch that movie any more.

Kmical
04-24-12, 10:19 AM
The director in Tropic Thunder. Horrific in an otherwise funy movie.

I felt that scene was the funniest part of the movie. Well, maybe that or Matthew McConaughey giving advice on how to dispose of a dead hooker ;)

As far as saddest death in Tropic Thunder, I would vote for

The panda that was accidentally killed by Ben Stiller's character