Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : General Hospital Blessed With a 50th Season by ABC.

Sonny Corinthos
04-13-12, 10:46 PM
Maybe it was Farah Fath, a former soap opera star, who said it best on Wednesday when ABC confirmed that it had renewed “General Hospital” for a landmark 50th season.

Congratulating the cast and crew in a Twitter message, she wrote, “A soap renewal in 2012 is nothing short of victorious.”

That’s how it felt for fans of the show too, who have been worried for months about its fate. Last year, in what was widely seen as a cost-cutting move, ABC ended two other soaps, “All My Children” and “One Life to Live,” and installed two talk shows in their former time slots. But it canceled one of the talk shows, “The Revolution,” on Wednesday, citing weak ratings.

“The Revolution,” which has a self-improvement theme, has retained only about half of the audience of “One Life to Live” since it started in January. Ms. Fath, who had been a cast member on “One Life to Live,” dubbed the talk show “The Revulsion” and wrote on Twitter, “It’s hard to even muster up an ‘We told you so.’ ”

The other new talk show, “The Chew,” has had steadier ratings. When the next television season starts in September, it will stay on ABC’s daytime schedule, most likely in the 1 p.m. time slot in many local markets.

Also in September, “General Hospital,” which is now at 3 p.m., will move to the 2 p.m. time slot in many markets, making way for Katie Couric’s new syndicated talk show, “Katie.” The moves were first reported by Deadline.com on Wednesday.

“The Revolution” will end a bit prematurely, though. In early July it will be replaced by an afternoon edition of the ABC News program “Good Morning America.” Tentatively titled “GMA in the Afternoon,” that show will have a nine-week run until “General Hospital” takes its place. The “GMA” co-hosts Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer are expected to lead the afternoon hour.

Vicki Dummer, who oversees daytime programming for ABC, has credited Frank Valentini, the former executive producer of “One Life to Live,” with rejuvenating “General Hospital.” When he took over the show last winter, he brought with him several cast members from that show.

Three other soap operas remain on network television: “The Young and the Restless” and “The Bold and the Beautiful” on CBS, and “Days of Our Lives” on NBC.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/abc-renews-general-hospital/

:thumbsup::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::bow::bow::bow::bdance::bdance::bdance: :rock2::rock2::rock2::dance::dance::dance::clap::clap::clap:

Charlie Goose
04-13-12, 11:34 PM
Well gee whiz, SONNY CORINTHOS, are you a fan of GH? :D

I don't watch soaps, but it's kind of comforting to know that some long running ones still survive.

MikahC
04-14-12, 01:06 AM
I was curious so I looked it up. Here's the original cast of GH (1963).

Steve Hardy
Jessie Brewer
Phil Brewer
Lucille March
Al Weeks
Eddie Weeks
Angie Costello

Elizabeth Webber is the granddaughter of Steve Hardy. Surprisingly, Scotty Baldwin was one of the longest running characters. He was introduced as a child in 1965.

Double_Oh_7
04-14-12, 01:22 AM
How devastating that ABC cancelled One Life to Live with a 43 year history for a show that didn't even last 43 weeks. What a waste.

wmansir
04-14-12, 01:29 AM
an afternoon edition of the ABC News program “Good Morning America.” Tentatively titled “GMA in the Afternoon,”

Seriously? and that's their working title?

whotony
04-14-12, 02:12 AM
Thansk for the news. I am thrilled to see it.

I've been following for over thirty years now.
The last couple of months have been fun with the transferring of a a few OLTL'ers including at least one more coming over soon Tea Delgado.

Heather Weber has been a blast as a still Crazy nut job.

Great news.

Sonny Corinthos
04-14-12, 07:59 AM
Well gee whiz, SONNY CORINTHOS, are you a fan of GH? :D

I don't watch soaps, but it's kind of comforting to know that some long running ones still survive. :lol: Yes sir, i've been watching GH since I was drinking by first bottle in my crib. With the recent trend of giving long time Soaps the ax, I have been holding my breath for this announcement. I was really expecting ABC not to renew GH.

I hope they learned a lesson. It really does suck ABC canceled OLTO for that sleep inducing Revolution crap. AMC, while I was kind of sad to see it go, it had been on it's last legs for awhile now IMO.

I was catching up on yesterday's GH on SoapNet last night and it was followed by The Young and the Restless. Holy crap, I think anyone who has ever been on a Soap is now on the show. I saw Laura from GH, Angie from AMC, Stefan Cassadine from GH, Annie from AMC just in the first 20 minutes of the show. I also heard that Triston Rogers (Robert from GH) is headed back to Y&R for another run on the Soap. That show's payroll must be unreal.

Nabalab
04-14-12, 09:04 AM
My wife is so happy about this, as she loves GH.

For the holidays, I got her tickets to see "Port Chuck" (4 guys from the show formed a cover band). Show is in 2 weeks, she's getting excited.

I think she would leave me for "Jason" in a heartbeat ;)

whotony
04-14-12, 02:08 PM
Corinthos, what do you make of the Robin business with her being held captive in a room somewhere by an unknown captor?

I'm guessing Lisa or someone related to her. We never did see Lisa's body. Also since Robin is alive, who's body was that burned up corpse?

Sonny Corinthos
04-14-12, 05:10 PM
Corinthos, what do you make of the Robin business with her being held captive in a room somewhere by an unknown captor?

I'm guessing Lisa or someone related to her. We never did see Lisa's body. Also since Robin is alive, who's body was that burned up corpse? I'm guessing it's Lisa behind Robin being held hostage. Like you said, we never seen Lisa's dead body on air. What i'm thinking is that Patrick blacked out for just a bit giving Lisa time to grab Robin and replace her with another body. She's crazy enough to pull something like this off.

Shannon Nutt
04-14-12, 05:58 PM
Not a total shock that ABC wants to keep GH around, considering those replacement shows didn't do any better than AMC and OLTL did - although I bet you GH is getting a significant budget cut.

MikahC
04-15-12, 03:55 AM
What? I tuned in for awhile to see old timers (Anna, Robert, Luke, Holly). I thought Robin was gone. And what's this about "Heather Webber"? Is that Heather as in Heather & Scotty? She's back on the show now? I stopped watching again after they convinced Helena Holly's/Luke's son was really Robert's and sent him off on a journey to distract Robert from suicidal thoughts after Robin's "death".

Double_Oh_7
04-15-12, 12:46 PM
I'm guessing it's Lisa behind Robin being held hostage. Like you said, we never seen Lisa's dead body on air. What i'm thinking is that Patrick blacked out for just a bit giving Lisa time to grab Robin and replace her with another body. She's crazy enough to pull something like this off.

I think Carlivati will dig deeper into GH history for this. It's most likely Faison, or as a long-shot David Hayward who was married to Anna when she was on AMC.

whotony
04-15-12, 03:12 PM
Heather is back. She convinced her son Steve to take her in custody and allow her to leave the nut house.
This was after she told Sam the secret of who Franco is in ahem, relation to Jason.

whotony
04-15-12, 03:15 PM
Also Anna and Heather will give something to do for Luke for a change besides be all brooding.

whotony
08-28-12, 04:38 AM
I think Carlivati will dig deeper into GH history for this. It's most likely Faison, or as a long-shot David Hayward who was married to Anna when she was on AMC.

Good call on that one. It wasn't Lisa but it appears to be two returning character
Involved including one that hasn't been on the show since 1990 and the actor who portrayed this character since 1989.

GH has really been fun this year.

gXsWMPrPaD4

Double_Oh_7
08-28-12, 08:34 AM
GH has really been fun this year.

It really has. It's nice to be able to laugh during GH again, and not slit your wrists because it's so dark. They need to bring back Heather ASAP. Teaming her up with Todd has been the best pairing on this show in ages.

Sonny Corinthos
08-28-12, 11:50 AM
:( Steve Burton Quits General Hospital. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Steve-Burton-Quits-General-Hospital-1052432.aspx

Shannon Nutt
08-28-12, 04:05 PM
:( Steve Burton Quits General Hospital. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Steve-Burton-Quits-General-Hospital-1052432.aspx

I think he can see the writing on the wall and is taking his best opportunity to exit. As loyal as ABC has been to GH, I can't imagine it will still be on the air three years from now. The biggest problem with daytime soaps has been their refusal to adapt...people no longer want stories that run slower than real-life does. Yes, budgets and production values are low, but that's no excuse for lazy writing. Shake things up, stir the pot, do crazy stuff...no - they seem satisfied with the status quo - and that's why they're all dying a slow death (the few that haven't already been axed).

Charlie Goose
08-29-12, 12:05 AM
That takes cajones to leave a decent paying acting job that you've had for 20 years.

MikahC
08-29-12, 01:08 PM
It's a whole heck of a lot easier than leaving a decent paying acting job you've had for 1 year.

bigjim25
09-17-12, 07:39 PM
Two stories to pass along:
General Hospital's John Ingle who played Edward Quartermaine Dies at 84 (http://www.tvguide.com/News/General-Hospitals-John-Ingle-Obit-1053127.aspx)

Sean Kanan Returns to General Hospital (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Sean-Kanan-General-Hospital-1053134.aspx) (maybe as a recast for Jason)

Sonny Corinthos
09-17-12, 11:14 PM
It's sad to hear of John Ingle's passing. He was in a episode last week and he looked really bad. As far as Sean Kanan goes, I think he would be perfect as a recast for Jason. He and Steve Burton are cousins and have similar looks and features. The Jason character is too important to the show to just write off so you know they are going to have to recast the role.

whotony
09-17-12, 11:16 PM
His appearances have drastically reduced over the last few months so I knew something was wrong.

His last appearance was when he gave up a anti serum to Pattricks little girl so I'm sure they planned on
Letting him die offscreen.

I didn't see it today yet but I'm sure they made mention of it at the beginning.

Deadman31
09-18-12, 08:21 AM
I hope they actually kill off Edward and dont recast. The character is probably close to 137 years old by now.

Shannon Nutt
09-18-12, 03:36 PM
I hope they actually kill off Edward and dont recast. The character is probably close to 137 years old by now.

Yeah, John Ingle was great in that role, but I'll always picture David Lewis as Edward Quartermaine (who died in 2000). Die-hard fans will remember they DID kill off Edward (when Lewis was playing him), then had him come back as the voice of a portrait (talking to his wife) and then finally revealed he was alive after all (I think Anna Devane found him at a bar in some third-world country!).

writer106
09-19-12, 08:38 PM
I think he can see the writing on the wall and is taking his best opportunity to exit. As loyal as ABC has been to GH, I can't imagine it will still be on the air three years from now. The biggest problem with daytime soaps has been their refusal to adapt...people no longer want stories that run slower than real-life does. Yes, budgets and production values are low, but that's no excuse for lazy writing. Shake things up, stir the pot, do crazy stuff...no - they seem satisfied with the status quo - and that's why they're all dying a slow death (the few that haven't already been axed).

I agree with this.

whotony
12-01-12, 11:35 PM

They did.

His gravestone or more accurately his cover stone said he was born in 1918 making him 94 when Edward died, ten years older then Ingle.

the tribute was really nice.
They used a body double without shouing his face as he watched the family in their home, then he and Lila, still in the wheel chair, went to the main staircase, Lila rose out of the chair and they both went up into the light together.

Edward says to lila, "What would you say if i asked you to renew our commitments to each other?" Lila says, "Of course I will." then she gets up and they both go up the stairs.

Right at the end of the video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fbDPz-ATxRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

True but port Charles was not much of a connection to GH other than a couple characters who were on both. It was more of a supernatural show.

Now if Tómas went to GH that would be interesting since the guy played both Alcazars.

GH was always a better show when Scotty was on there. He is a perfect foil for Luke.
On wednesday they had a pic of Tomas and Blair in the news captioned with them getting married.
Skyy and Carly saw the picture and were shocked to see that Tomas looked exactly like the dead Alcazar and ran off to talk to Todd.

So it looks like they may be bringing back Ted King.

Also the new Kate who isnt really new anymore has been knocking it out of the park. she has done the dual roles brilliantly. Now I doubt the other woman could not have done it so well.

GH has incorporated the OLTL group extremely well.

They even did a call back with Skye to her appearing on AMC with a mention of her uncle Stewart.

btw if anyone cares Soapnet has been airing older eps from when Laura left with Scotty when Scotty tried to win her back while Laura was in the nut house. I think these were about 6 years ago.

adamblast
12-02-12, 12:40 PM
One of the most fun things about General Hospital right now is the way they're playing meta-games with the history of all the ABC soaps.

You've got a guy or gal who's played different roles on different soaps? Collide the universes and see what happens! It's the kind of thing comic books are famous for, isn't it? Back when TNG finished and DS9 was the only trek mythology show, they were suddenly free to do absolutely whatever they wanted and they were all the better for it. GH has that kind of freedom now and they're running with it.

whotony
01-08-13, 07:04 PM
Laura coming back to GH.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/08/genie-francis-returns-general-hospital/

Sonny Corinthos
01-08-13, 09:03 PM
:thumbsup: :banana: Great news! It would be nice if she stuck around for awhile. The Luke and Laura stories from the 80's are classic. I wish they would release them on DVD.

Double_Oh_7
01-09-13, 12:04 PM
I'm hoping for one more L&L adventure for the 50th anniversary. If anyone can do it, Ron Carlivati and Frank Valentini can.

whotony
01-25-13, 12:59 AM
abc.soapsindepth.com/general-hospital/

More names and one surprise returning to GH.

According to tv guide and that link above Scotty and

Jack Wagner
Will return.

Also coming back is Jon Lindstrom as Dr Kevin Collins.

MikahC
01-25-13, 01:44 AM
Wow. Tempted to tune in again for another nostalgia fix (I tuned in for a few episodes around Robin's death when Anna, Robert, Holly, and Luke were there).

Shannon Nutt
01-25-13, 03:19 PM
I'm really surprised an effort hasn't been made to bring back John Reilly and Sharon Wyatt as well.

Wally Kurth ("Ned") came back this week.

MikahC
01-25-13, 08:01 PM
I don't think Tiffany makes any sense without Sean Donnelly. Also, they're already bursting at the seams with staff.

bigjim25
01-25-13, 08:47 PM
I'm really surprised an effort hasn't been made to bring back John Reilly and Sharon Wyatt as well.

Actually Ned has been back a few times in since Edward's on screen death. I'm loving GH right now. Love the story with Lucy and the vampires... That was good for all the Port Charles fans. lol

whotony
01-26-13, 01:51 AM
Tiffany and Sean came back about four years ago for a stint on GG Night Shift.

Double_Oh_7
01-26-13, 02:30 AM

Sharon Wyatt battled a bone disease and lost half her jaw. She won't be acting any time soon.

bigjim25
01-28-13, 06:17 PM
How much longer til the ugly duckling turns into a swan on the show? Damn Sabrina is hot...
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ2Nzk2MDM5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQ3ODI5Mw@@._V1._SX500_SY700_.jpg

whotony
01-28-13, 06:56 PM
Not much longer I'm guessing.

Double_Oh_7
01-28-13, 08:02 PM
How much longer til the ugly duckling turns into a swan on the show? Damn Sabrina is hot...
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ2Nzk2MDM5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQ3ODI5Mw@@._V1._SX500_SY700_.jpg

You can bet that reveal will happen at the Nurses Ball in April.

Shannon Nutt
01-29-13, 09:33 PM
Sharon Wyatt battled a bone disease and lost half her jaw. She won't be acting any time soon.

I didn't know that...she was on NIGHT SHIFT in 2008, but I guess the surgery was in 2011. I'm guessing that's the main reason neither actor has returned (doesn't make sense to just have John back alone).

adamblast
01-30-13, 08:40 PM
Today's show seemed to indicate they're going to go full-on supernatural with angels and vampires--rather than just referring to them semi-comically as a throwback to one or both of GH's 80s era spinoffs. McCain is clueing in that Caleb isn't fiction. I wonder if they're gonna let him play both for a while.

Sonny Corinthos
01-30-13, 11:21 PM
I sure hope not. I used to watch Port Charles (big shock huh? lol) but when all of that vampire horse crap started, I quit watching.

Sonny Corinthos
01-30-13, 11:51 PM
'General Hospital' leads soap opera revival

ABC shook up daytime dramas in 2011, canceling "One Life to Live" and "All My Children" because their costs were high and their ratings low.

The network, owned by Walt Disney Co. (DIS), took a gamble in keeping "General Hospital," however, and that bet has paid off.

Ratings for the show, which turns 50 in April, are on the rise. "General Hospital" attracted more than 3 million total viewers during the week ended Dec. 28, the highest total in two years. Viewership among advertisers' target demographic -- women 18 to 34 years old -- is up 44% year over year, according to ABC.

Soap fans say the reason for GH's resurgence is simple: The show got a lot better. Under executive producer Frank Valentini, who assumed the job last year, the show has had entertaining story lines and brought back fan favorites from the show's heyday, such as Rick Springfield (Dr. Noah Drake), Kin Shriner (Scotty Baldwin) and Genie Francis (Laura Spencer).

"There were concerns about the future of the show," Valentini said in an interview with MSN Money. "We are all aware of how the television viewing market has become increasingly fractured."

The concern about soaps has been around for a long time. Ratings for soap operas took such a dramatic nosedive in the last decade that CBS (CBS) research head David Poltrack was sure Nielsen's ratings were wrong. He asked the ratings service to double check its math, but it came up with the same results. That was quite a change for a genre that for decades was a television cash cow.

But soap operas may now be making a limited comeback.

ABC renewed "General Hospital" last year and canceled "The Revolution," a lower-cost alternative to soaps that failed to attract viewers. Comcast's(CMCSA) NBC has recently renewed "Days of Our Lives." According to Deadline.com, CBS is poised to renew "The Bold and the Beautiful," while "One Life to Live" and "All My Children" are due to come back as online shows later this year and will also be available on Hulu.

http://money.msn.com/now/general-hospital-leads-soap-opera-revival-8

Ranger
01-31-13, 01:06 AM
Glad it's doing better. I think ratings are up since they moved it from 3pm to 2pm, right after Days and BB. Show has been a bit better though.

Double_Oh_7
01-31-13, 02:41 AM
'General Hospital' leads soap opera revival

ABC shook up daytime dramas in 2011, canceling "One Life to Live" and "All My Children" because their costs were high and their ratings low.

The network, owned by Walt Disney Co. (DIS), took a gamble in keeping "General Hospital," however, and that bet has paid off.

Ratings for the show, which turns 50 in April, are on the rise. "General Hospital" attracted more than 3 million total viewers during the week ended Dec. 28, the highest total in two years. Viewership among advertisers' target demographic -- women 18 to 34 years old -- is up 44% year over year, according to ABC.

Soap fans say the reason for GH's resurgence is simple: The show got a lot better. Under executive producer Frank Valentini, who assumed the job last year, the show has had entertaining story lines and brought back fan favorites from the show's heyday, such as Rick Springfield (Dr. Noah Drake), Kin Shriner (Scotty Baldwin) and Genie Francis (Laura Spencer).

"There were concerns about the future of the show," Valentini said in an interview with MSN Money. "We are all aware of how the television viewing market has become increasingly fractured."

The concern about soaps has been around for a long time. Ratings for soap operas took such a dramatic nosedive in the last decade that CBS (CBS) research head David Poltrack was sure Nielsen's ratings were wrong. He asked the ratings service to double check its math, but it came up with the same results. That was quite a change for a genre that for decades was a television cash cow.

But soap operas may now be making a limited comeback.

ABC renewed "General Hospital" last year and canceled "The Revolution," a lower-cost alternative to soaps that failed to attract viewers. Comcast's(CMCSA) NBC has recently renewed "Days of Our Lives." According to Deadline.com, CBS is poised to renew "The Bold and the Beautiful," while "One Life to Live" and "All My Children" are due to come back as online shows later this year and will also be available on Hulu.

http://money.msn.com/now/general-hospital-leads-soap-opera-revival-8
You have to wonder what would have happened if ABC dumped Brian Frons earlier than it did, and put this same amount of effort into saving All My Children and One Life to Live.

MikahC
01-31-13, 12:55 PM
I'm completely turned off by the concept of vampires, etc., but I'm going to go ahead and add it to my DVR so I can see some of the old stars.

Shannon Nutt
01-31-13, 03:21 PM
I'm completely turned off by the concept of vampires, etc., but I'm going to go ahead and add it to my DVR so I can see some of the old stars.

Valentini said in an interview a few weeks back that "we're not doing vampires." My guess is he's got a more logical explanation to tie what happened on PORT CHARLES into what's happening now on GH.

In other news, first shots of Jack Wagner on the set:

http://www.accesshollywood.com/content/images/i/articles/75/75717/header_181306.jpg

adamblast
01-31-13, 03:28 PM
Valentini said in an interview a few weeks back that "we're not doing vampires."Interesting. I wonder why they keep adding more corroboration to Lucy's stories. Then they mention an angel named Rafe, and introduce a new character "Rafe" literally a minute later...

MikahC
01-31-13, 05:11 PM
I know who Lucy (Coe?) is, but I never watched 1 episode of Port Charles.

Frisco back too? Along with Kristina (Felicia). Make me believe it.

Shannon Nutt
01-31-13, 06:21 PM
Interesting. I wonder why they keep adding more corroboration to Lucy's stories. Then they mention an angel named Rafe, and introduce a new character "Rafe" literally a minute later...

From an interview he did with TV Guide in early January:

TV Guide Magazine: What's up with this talk of a vampire storyline related to the events of the short-lived GH spin-off Port Charles?
Valentini: We're not doing vampires. Because we have Michael (Easton, who plays John) and Lynn who were both on Port Charles with Kelly, we're just doing a nod.

whotony
02-11-13, 11:51 PM
Loos like McBain, Manning and Starr will be off the show soon because Prospect Park owns the characters
and the Internet revival of All My Children and OLTL is happening.

Sonny Corinthos
02-12-13, 12:49 AM
I really don't see that lasting too long. Their core audience isn't going to bother to watch a 30 minute episode online. Just my opinion of course.

Deadman31
02-12-13, 06:08 AM
I could do without Starr. The actress and the character are awful. McBain is ok but rather dull and Todd can be good in spurts, but he is way too over the top sometimes.

Sonny Corinthos
02-12-13, 09:01 AM
I could do without Starr. The actress and the character are awful. McBain is ok but rather dull and Todd can be good in spurts, but he is way too over the top sometimes.

I could do without Starr as well. She has always been annoying to me. It made me sick when I heard she was going to join the cast of GH when OLTL was canned. I never have been much of a fan of McBain but I can tolerate him.

Roger Howarth's Todd is very silly and way over the top for me as well. I hated when he can back to OLTL in 2011. I much preferred Trevor St John's Todd. He is a much better actor and played a more serious version of the Todd character.

siddd5
02-12-13, 10:32 AM
I've been watching GH on and off for 30 years, and the show, as currently constituted, is awful.

bigjim25
02-14-13, 05:15 PM
<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=2163313730001&playerID=1750003874001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAABl3NGjUk~,c86X7VwaxEeVpfMUii9qm4zjU4Os43pV&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=2163313730001&playerID=1750003874001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAABl3NGjUk~,c86X7VwaxEeVpfMUii9qm4zjU4Os43pV&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Shannon Nutt
02-14-13, 05:58 PM
I've been watching GH on and off for 30 years, and the show, as currently constituted, is awful.

I'll agree it's not as good now as it was in the 80s and (most of the) 90s, but it's WORLDS better than it's been for most of the 21st Century.

My only current gripe with the show is that they're bringing back "classic" actors for short (and sometimes extended) stints, but are giving them little to do. For heaven's sake, if all Jack Wagner is going to do is hang out at Mac's bar and pine for his former wife, I could have done without Frisco's return. At least they gave Tristan Rogers something to do when he came back for a few months.

siddd5
02-14-13, 06:32 PM
I'll agree it's not as good now as it was in the 80s and (most of the) 90s, but it's WORLDS better than it's been for most of the 21st Century.

My only current gripe with the show is that they're bringing back "classic" actors for short (and sometimes extended) stints, but are giving them little to do. For heaven's sake, if all Jack Wagner is going to do is hang out at Mac's bar and pine for his former wife, I could have done without Frisco's return. At least they gave Tristan Rogers something to do when he came back for a few months.

It's because the writer's are creatively bankrupt and are taking a lazy and obvious approach to storylines.

Sonny Corinthos
03-14-13, 02:58 PM
:lol: Forget College Basketball, this will be my March Madness!

Get ready for an unprecedented GH marathon! To celebrate the 50th anniversary of life in Port Charles, SOAPnet will air 50 classic episodes in 50 hours, which will include shows from every decade.

Said the network in a statement, "The marathon will cover all your favorite characters, couples and storylines with such themes as romance (Luke & Laura's wedding, Frisco & Felicia's wedding, Luke & Laura's dance at Wyndham's, Lucky & Liz's first kiss), heartbreak (Stone dies, Sonny leaves Brenda at the altar, BJ dies/Maxie's heart transplant), action-adventure (Ice Princess, the Hostage Crisis, the Hotel Fire,) and shocking bombshells (Elizabeth finds Carly in the panic room, AJ discovers he's Michael's father, Jason's car accident) plus many more surprises and appearances by fan favorites (Elizabeth Taylor as Helena Cassadine, John Stamos as Blackie, Ricky Martin as Miguel, Rick Springfield as Noah)." The marathon begins on March 29 at 10pmET and will air through Monday, April 1 at 12amET.

http://soapoperadigest.com/content/soapnet-honors-ghs-50th-50-classic-episodes

Shannon Nutt
03-14-13, 03:16 PM
^ Which sucks because Comcast ditched SoapNet in my area a couple years back. :(

whotony
03-20-13, 10:01 PM
I'll probably get a second dvr or an esata external drive for that marathon.
In other news the three from OLTL left the show today to go be on that Internet version.

Sonny Corinthos
03-23-13, 06:45 PM
Here's list of episodes and times of the 50 hour GH marathon that will be on SoapNet starting March 29th at 10:00 pm est.

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2013/03/soapnets-50-years-50-episodes-50-hours-gh-marathon-schedule/2

MikahC
03-24-13, 02:24 AM
Looks like Bobbie has some work done by the same doc as Joan Rivers. I'd rather she just have aged naturally.

Current oldies: Frisco, Felicia, Anna, Luke, Laura, Scottie, Lucy (later, but still oldie), Duke and I saw some mention of Faison imitating Duke (didn't see that). We already had Robert and Holly. Sean Donnelly and Tiffany Hill would have been a nice drop-in, but the actor who played Sean is about 76 at this point. They've done a good job of bringing back past characters for spot duty, though.

I forgot Bobbie and Scotty get along better than Luke and Scotty. I haven't seen Heather and Scotty interact, which is a shame. I'm not sure when the 50th anniversary stuff will die down, but I'm still recording so far. I can get through a week's worth of shows in about an hour, which isn't a horrible time investment for a little nostalgia.

Shannon Nutt
03-24-13, 03:16 PM
Looks like Kimberly McCullough might be coming back soon...hopefully that means Tristan Rogers will be back as well. Didn't like how they 86'd his character earlier this year and never mentioned him again, as if no one cares about him.

whotony
03-24-13, 03:28 PM
Last week Scotty received death reas from Luke and Luke's stepson, Sonnys son. I can't remember his name.
Maybe one other death threat. I hope they aren't setting up killing him off the show .

Bobbie looked awful with that work she had done.
Permanent duck face.

Shannon Nutt
03-24-13, 04:54 PM
Last week Scotty received death reas from Luke and Luke's stepson, Sonnys son. I can't remember his name.
Maybe one other death threat. I hope they aren't setting up killing him off the show .

Dante. I don't think they're killing off either of them. However, the actress that plays LuLu IS leaving GH. Have no idea if she'll be recast or killed off.

whotony
03-24-13, 06:48 PM
I've read in several places its a recast.

Sonny Corinthos
03-25-13, 11:17 AM
Breaking News: One Life to Live Stars Head Back to General Hospital.

Will General Hospital fans accept Michael Easton, Roger Howarth and Kristen Alderson in brand new roles? They might have to!

Multiple sources tell TV Guide Magazine that the trio of former One Life to Live stars — who've been embroiled in a tug-of-war between ABC and Prospect Park, the company that's producing the upcoming OLTL reboot — will soon return to GH after being forced to vacate the show for several weeks.

But here's the kicker: It seems we'll no longer see Easton as John McBain, ditto Howarth as Todd Manning or Alderson as Todd's daughter Starr. ABC doesn't want to risk any more legal entanglements with Prospect Park, which currently owns the rights to all OLTL characters, and the only way to do that is to have the three stars play characters that in no way resemble the current ones.

Word is, GH head writer Ron Carlivati is devising some clever ways to work around the headache, even though John, Todd and Starr are now tightly woven into Port Charles society and all three are involved in blooming romances.

"Prospect Park has been extremely difficult to deal with on this issue so GH basically said, 'Screw it! We'll create all new characters!'" notes one source privy to the situation. "It's the only way GH can get past the problem and get on with business."

Neither GH nor ABC will confirm this wild development, but no one's denying it, either. "I can't really comment for legal reasons," says GH exec producer Frank Valentini. "It's not like I'm trying to keep a secret. [ABC] doesn't want me to say anything." We also asked ABC Daytime chief Vicki Dummer to comment on the matter but she only coughed up a cryptic, "All I can really say right now is...stay tuned."

Waiting for the fur to stop flying "has been crazy," says Thom Racina, one of the head writers of the new OLTL. "First it was, 'Yes, we have these actors,' then it was, 'No, we don't have them.' I don't know that any show has ever gone through this kind of thing before. It's a very unique situation what with all these legal issues between the [two parties] but we came out of it very happily. You'll see."

We have no doubt that Carlivati —whose work on GH has been simply stellar — is the perfect guy to pull off this magic trick. Besides, if we soap fans can accept evil twins and peeps coming back from the dead, we can certainly get past a few sudden identity changes, right?

"I think it's going to turn out well for everybody," Racina says of the brouhaha. "The soap audience, as we know, is very forgiving."

http://www.tvguide.com/News/One-Life-Live-General-Hospital-1063142.aspx

Shannon Nutt
03-25-13, 03:38 PM
Well, we already know one other character Michael Easton can play...and it will be nice to see Roger without that fake scar. :)

Double_Oh_7
03-25-13, 07:31 PM
Dante. I don't think they're killing off either of them. However, the actress that plays LuLu IS leaving GH. Have no idea if she'll be recast or killed off.

She's already been recast with Marcy Rylan from Y&R.

whotony
03-29-13, 08:57 PM
Marathon is about to start .

Anyone catch yesterdays ep with the Richard Simmons appearance.

Might have been the dumbest guest spot I ever saw.
H was supposed to be the dance coordinator for the ball but after he played his
Old GH rap song Lucy banned it from the ball.

Simmons was screeming at Lucy that he didn't care what anyone thinks about the rumors and terrible
Things in the song especially Monica.

It was way over the top even for a soap.

Oh and one of the danceing with the stars dancers was on and bumped into Sam and said he recognized her from somewhere, and he volunteered to be the coordinator for the ball.

adamblast
03-29-13, 09:11 PM
Oh and one of the dancing with the stars dancers was on and bumped into Sam and said he recognized her from somewhere, and he volunteered to be the coordinator for the ball.So that's what that was. I couldn't figure out why some random guy was being introduced like an "already known" cameo.

whotony
03-29-13, 10:41 PM
A few Intersting tidbits in the credits of the first ep.

Edward Platt.
Butch Patrick (not sure if it was that one)
Walt Koenig (it is that one)
Roy Thinnes

Double_Oh_7
03-29-13, 11:57 PM
Anyone catch yesterdays ep with the Richard Simmons appearance.

Might have been the dumbest guest spot I ever saw.
H was supposed to be the dance coordinator for the ball but after he played his
Old GH rap song Lucy banned it from the ball.

Simmons was screeming at Lucy that he didn't care what anyone thinks about the rumors and terrible
Things in the song especially Monica.

It was way over the top even for a soap.

But not over the top for Richard Simmons ;)

Shannon Nutt
03-30-13, 02:41 PM
Richard was on the show in the 80s, so that explains his appearance...he's a huge fan, so he may have come back for free (or at least for scale).

It doesn't look like either Tristan Rogers or Emma Samms will be back for the 50th, which is a huge disappointment, since both actors were willing to appear. Tristan was actually open to returning long-term during his recent stint, so I have no idea why they didn't want him...it's possible they just can't afford to keep him around. :)

whotony
03-30-13, 09:15 PM
Hah, the original Framk Smith was Punky Brusters dad and the nutty Cmndr in the Police Academys and the jerk Soap star in Tootsie.

Double_Oh_7
03-31-13, 01:00 AM
Richard was on the show in the 80s, so that explains his appearance...he's a huge fan, so he may have come back for free (or at least for scale).

It doesn't look like either Tristan Rogers or Emma Samms will be back for the 50th, which is a huge disappointment, since both actors were willing to appear. Tristan was actually open to returning long-term during his recent stint, so I have no idea why they didn't want him...it's possible they just can't afford to keep him around. :)

Right now Robert Scorpio is supposedly comatose in some Swiss clinic -rolleyes-
Most of these returns have been disappointing. They are back for a short time, given very little to do, and either disappear or are written out in the most absurd way.

whotony
03-31-13, 01:12 AM
I'm enjoying the cameos with the Richard Simmons being an exception.

There are more to come including at least two one of which is dead and one is supposed to be dead.

dead is Alan, supposed to be dead is Rick Webber.

I read that the Rick Webber death might get retconned to someone else was really killed or he didn't actually die.

Here's a list

Actor Character Date Reference
Rachel Ames Audrey March Hardy April 1
Vanessa Marcil Brenda Barrett April 1
Ingo Rademacher Jasper Jacks April 1
Stuart Damon Alan Quartermaine April 2
Chris Robinson Rick Webber April 2
Rick Springfield Noah Drake April 2
Emme Rylan Lulu Spencer-Falconeri TBA
Kristen Alderson TBA TBA [17]
Michael Easton TBA TBA [17]
Roger Howarth TBA TBA [17]

Sonny Corinthos
04-02-13, 09:12 PM
Did anyone catch today's episode?

whotony
04-02-13, 09:33 PM
I'm watching right now.

Liz grandmother showed up as did Brenda and the ghosts of Alan and Emily

adamblast
04-02-13, 10:10 PM
Did anyone catch today's episode?Pretty much loved it. Thought it was a good mix of tribute & meta commentary & ongoing story.

Once Rick Weber showed up I knew it *had* to be sample relish psychosis! Such a common problem, you know...

whotony
04-02-13, 10:16 PM
What the hell was in that relish.......

This was a great show today.

I knew about all the cameos but it didn't matter. Was great fun and it was a blast seeing Rick Weber but
Chris Robinson looked in rough shape. Appeared to be having a dificult time walking.

Combining the opening from all the seasons when GH was at its best was a nice touch.

Sonny Corinthos
04-03-13, 08:24 AM
It was an awesome show. I knew about Alan and Rick and Audrey but not Emily. I still say it's a shame they killed her and Alan off. Poor Rick was looking rough but he still had the same sounding voice he had back in the day.

I loved the way the combined all of the openings as well. I remember ambulance in the first bit all too well. When I was a kid, I used to stay with my Grandma while my Mom worked. No matter where I was in the house, I could hear the ambulance's siren and I knew it was time for GH.

I wish my Mom could have been here to see this episode. She passed away last July. For the past nine years while she was in a nursing home due to poor health, I would go and visit here every afternoon and watch "the stories" as she called them. We would sit there with our noses deep in to the tv screen hushing anyone that came in and interrupting them.

I thought when she passed away, I couldn't watch GH anymore. I know this may sound crazy but in a way, I feel a connection with my Grandmother and Mom while watching GH. I guess it reminds me of happier times. Smelling all the good food my Grandmother would be cooking in between commercial breaks and sitting with my Mom all those years watching the show.

Sorry for such a long winded post.

MikahC
04-03-13, 10:59 AM
No reason to be sorry for the post.

When I read Emily, I thought of Amber Tamblyn, since she's the only Emily I ever saw.

I never get tired of seeing Vanessa Marcil (Brenda).

It's still hard for me to to picture the current Carly actress as Carly. I didn't know her on another soap, but I know she was on a different one. I remember Carly as Sarah Joy Brown (I stopped watching in 1998).

I'd never seen Luke's son Ethan. More generically, there are a lot of kids by a lot of different mixmatched couples on the show.

I'm a little confused on Robin's fate. I've done some quick Googling, and came across the one thing I'd seen before, but it looks like there's more to the story. What I saw when I tuned in a day or two to see Anna and Robert return was Robin died in an explosion. But I think I'm reading maybe she didn't really die.

And it's only with this 50th anniversary episode that I realized Patrick Drak is Noah Drake's son.

It was a nice trip down memory lane.

adamblast
04-03-13, 12:02 PM
They've shown Robin alive as a captive 2 or 3 times over the past year, and she's had a couple close calls and near-escapes. We don't know too much else. Dr. West-Nile's mother, the European lady that was helping Faison, presumably still has her--she appears to have an unexplained long game involving Patrick.

MikahC
04-03-13, 01:39 PM
They've shown Robin alive as a captive 2 or 3 times over the past year

Thanks. I doubt they actually showed Kimberly McCullough (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimberly_McCullough), but more just showed someone and said it was her. I thought she was pretty much done with the show (at least for now). I didn't realize she was in the TV show Fame. I certainly don't remember her in Breaking 2. And The Shield!?!. Since I remember seeing her first GH appearance, it's hard to think of her as in her 30's now. As I was Googling the Robin character, I saw she was even made Chief of Staff at GH (at least for some time). My how time flies. I think the last I saw of her wasn't long after Stone died.

I don't see any recent credits, but I'm sure her family at GH wishes her success as she pursues interests outside the show. By all accounts, she's a well-liked actress.

adamblast
04-03-13, 02:12 PM
No, they were actually showing Kimberly, and gave us full/complete scenes with her. She even had a reunion with Scorpio (while he was back) while she was being held in the European sanitarium. They're definitely implying to the audience that she'll someday be back--which has made the Patrick love triangle feel a bit weird all year long. I wouldn't be surprised if she makes another cameo (or possibly her surprise return-to-life) shortly around the Nurse's Ball, being held in her honor, but who knows.

Besides being very well-liked both by fans and on-set, she's one of the very few "kid" actors in soaps to transition smoothly to adulthood--leaving them with tons of usable memory footage. (They used some during the Scorpio reunion.)

whotony
04-03-13, 02:24 PM
They were alluding to Britt's father as someone to be be very afraid of.

Wonder who that will end up being

Shannon Nutt
04-03-13, 03:16 PM
Kimberly is directing now, but has agreed to do GH when she's in between movies...last Dec./Jan. was one such instance. That's one of the reasons they stuck Robert Scorpio in a coma - he's the only one who knows Robin is still alive.

I'm guessing Brit's father is Jerry Jacks.

whotony
04-05-13, 08:42 PM
Terrific first half of the Ball episode.

Too much makeup on the nurse who wants to be with DrDrake.

Enjoyed seeing Jack Wagner sing All I need.
Was half expecting Stamos to appear as Drummer for the song.

Looks like Rick Springfield will appear as Rick Springfield and sing at the Ball

MikahC
04-06-13, 01:21 AM
Rick Springfield already appeared and referred to some other character (perhaps played by the same actor). I didn't really get everything he talked about. It seemed like an alter ego that's more Rick Springfield rather than Noah Drake. I remember Jessie's Girl, but somehow I never really saw the Noah Drake storyline during the 80's, so I don't really remember much from it (I was told about it back in the day).

There's some kind of GH special airing Saturday evening at 9ET.

whotony
04-06-13, 01:25 AM
He has played two characters on the show, one is a rock star.

I believe he's going to appear as Rick Springfield next week.

Shannon Nutt
04-06-13, 06:23 PM
Odd that Frisco/Jack would sing "All I Need" instead of "Lady of my Heart" since "Lady" was the song they always used for the Frisco/Felecia relationship ("All I Need" was used for a girl he dated named Tanya, who eventually wound up marrying Frisco's brother, Tony).

whotony
04-06-13, 07:32 PM
I don't think it's odd at all. He sings the other song most people are going to wonder why he didn't sing All as that was a hit single for him too.

Shannon Nutt
04-06-13, 09:07 PM
I don't think it's odd at all. He sings the other song most people are going to wonder why he didn't sing All as that was a hit single for him too.

Casual viewers, yes...people that watched in in the 80s, no.

BTW, does anyone think Sabrina looks sexier WITH the glasses? :wave:

whotony
04-06-13, 10:33 PM
I watched all of that in the 80's and that song doesn't come to me at all.

She looks great both ways. Just way too much makeup and she actually looked exactly like Elizabeth too.

Shannon Nutt
04-07-13, 12:35 AM
I watched all of that in the 80's and that song doesn't come to me at all.

Not only did he sing it to her during their first dance at their wedding, but the locket he gave her on the show a few weeks back said "Lady of my Heart" on it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/50q6oLkiUPw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

whotony
04-07-13, 01:13 AM
:shrug:

MikahC
04-07-13, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the video link. After we watched our recording of (Part 1 of) the nurse's ball, I spent 5 minutes trying to explain to my wife that I remembered Frisco singing some other song, but I couldn't remember the name. It was also nice to see Tony and Sean in that clip.

whotony
04-07-13, 02:10 AM
I think that episode aired twice this week during soapnet s 51 episode marathon Currently airing.

whotony
04-08-13, 09:45 PM
Now we know who Britta's father is. Wonder what her announcement will be, pregnant?

bigjim25
04-11-13, 01:19 AM
I never get tired of seeing Vanessa Marcil (Brenda).Loved yesterday's episode. Brenda and Carly had me rolling.

Also, rumor has it they might be bringing Scott and Lucy's daughter back and it's the same girl that played her 12 years ago... Damn she all grown up now.
http://img.tvfanonline.com/data/500/medium/Carly_Schroeder.jpg (http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2013/02/01/rumor-report-is-carly-schroeder-returning-to-general-hospital)

Double_Oh_7
04-11-13, 02:36 AM
Loved yesterday's episode. Brenda and Carly had me rolling.

Also, rumor has it they might be bringing Scott and Lucy's daughter back and it's the same girl that played her 12 years ago... Damn she all grown up now.
http://img.tvfanonline.com/data/500/medium/Carly_Schroeder.jpg (http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2013/02/01/rumor-report-is-carly-schroeder-returning-to-general-hospital)

That's not going to happen. Because Prospect Park owns the One Life to Live characters that were on GH, those characters had to be written out when the online version started production. But the actors will be returning to GH, and Kristin Alderson who payed Starr will be playing Scott's daughter, Serena.

whotony
04-11-13, 09:06 PM
That's awful news.

Just let Starr die away.

Sonny Corinthos
04-12-13, 07:49 AM
If the three actors are not going to play Todd, Starr and John, just leave them off the show. It's now going to make any sense at all to bring them back as other characters.

whotony
04-12-13, 11:13 AM
While I'd rather see Tod and McBain come back I can accept them as new characters.

Not like it hasn't be done before.

One of the early actresses who played Carly came back as another person and that worked until they killed her.

whotony
04-12-13, 12:41 PM
Fund a guy on YouTube who has all the Cassadine stories posted.

Found the deaths of Stavros and Stephan.

Stavros first death

http://youtu.be/tq6CrZTDElw
http://youtu.be/3BTj5zJ8u7c

Second death

http://youtu.be/acAdqkB18fY
http://youtu.be/a1PJtqG2RY0

whotony
05-20-13, 11:30 PM
The three OLTL actors have returned.

Starr is now the missing Q heir Lauren Frank.
McBain is now the brother of the "dead" vampire serial killer.

Don't know who Todd Manning is yet but he will either be
Sam's father or Franco.

Franco seems odd but likely. Although Howarth is older than James Franco,
Franco is Lauren's father so they would be playing father and daughter again.

There also seems to be ties to the Jerome crime family on the show years ago.

Shannon Nutt
05-21-13, 09:24 PM
Boy, am I the only one who thinks the 41-year-old Maura West looks like she's 61? She looks like the victim of some very shoddy plastic surgery.

Also, not having seen her previous work, the press was saying how great an actress she was...she's failed to impress me so far. Granted, she hasn't been given much to do yet, but having her first scenes with Tony Geary didn't help (he acted circles around her).

Shannon Nutt
06-28-13, 12:52 AM
Well, they just fired Kelly Sullivan (Connie Falconeri). She's one of the best actresses on the show...I don't know WTF is going on at GH these days.

adamblast
06-28-13, 01:09 PM
Well, they just fired Kelly Sullivan (Connie Falconeri). She's one of the best actresses on the show...I'm guessing her character gets killed--she says she was "written off" the show and it had nothing to do with any conflicts or contract issues.

Definitely fair to say the show's been floundering since the Nurse's Ball. I'm actually preferring DOOL at the moment, which is rare for me.