DVD Talk
Hitchcock (Gervasi, 2013) — Sir Anthony Hopkins, Dame Helen Mirren [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Hitchcock (Gervasi, 2013) — Sir Anthony Hopkins, Dame Helen Mirren

The Bus
04-12-12, 10:28 PM
“HITCHCOCK” TO BEGIN PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY

Sir Anthony Hopkins and Dame Helen Mirren to star
with Sacha Gervasi to direct

LOS ANGELES, CA April 12, 2012 –Fox Searchlight Pictures and Montecito Pictures announced today that principal photography for the drama HITCHCOCK will start on April 13th in Los Angeles. The film will star Academy Award® winners Sir Anthony Hopkins as Alfred Hitchcock and Dame Helen Mirren as his wife, Alma. Sacha Gervasi, whose big screen debut, ANVIL! THE STORY OF ANVIL won the 2010 Best Documentary Feature prize at the Independent Spirit Awards, will direct from a screenplay by John McLaughlin, revisions by Ryan Murphy, Stephen Rebello and Sacha Gervasi, based on the book Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho by Stephen Rebello. Ivan Reitman, Tom Pollock and Joe Medjuck of Montecito Pictures (UP IN THE AIR) will produce along with Tom Thayer and Alan Barnette. Ali Bell and Richard Middleton will be executive producers. The film will be co-financed by Fox Searchlight Pictures and Cold Spring Pictures. HITCHCOCK will be released worldwide by Fox Searchlight Pictures.

Claudia Lewis, President of Production and David Greenbaum, Senior Vice President of Production are overseeing the project for Fox Searchlight Pictures.

HITCHCOCK is a love story about one of the most influential filmmakers of the last century, Alfred Hitchcock and his wife and partner Alma Reville. The film takes place during the making of Hitchcock’s seminal movie PSYCHO.

The film will also star Scarlett Johansson (LOST IN TRANSLATION) as Janet Leigh, James D'Arcy (MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD) as Anthony Perkins, Jessica Biel (THE ILLUSIONIST ) as Vera Miles, Michael Stuhlbarg (A SERIOUS MAN) as Lew Wasserman, Toni Collette (LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE) as Hitchcock’s secretary Peggy, Michael Wincott (THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO) as Ed Gein, Kurtwood Smith (TO DIE FOR) as Geoffrey Shurlock, Richard Portnow (GOOD MORNING VIETNAM) as Barney Balaban and Danny Huston (THE CONSTANT GARDENER) as Whitfield Cook.

Sir Anthony Hopkins received the Academy Award for Best Actor for THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and subsequent nominations for THE REMAINS OF THE DAY and NIXON. Hopkins has previously starred in HANNIBAL, MEET JOE BLACK, INSTINCT, TITUS, HOWARD’S END, BRAM STROKER’S DRACULA, LEGENDS OF THE FALL and THE ROAD TO WELLVILLE.

Dame Helen Mirren received the Academy Award for Best Actress for THE QUEEN and was also nominated for THE LAST STATION. She has been nominated for Best Supporting Actress for THE MADNESS OF KING GEORGE and GOSFORD PARK. Most recently, she starred in THE DEBT. Mirren played the iconic role of Detective Chief Inspector Jane Tennison over seven miniseries in the acclaimed British drama “Prime Suspect.”

Sacha Gervasi made his feature film directorial debut with the Independent Spirit Award® winning ANVIL! THE STORY OF ANVIL in 2009. He began his career as a screenwriter with the film THE BIG TEASE with Craig Ferguson, and later, he scripted the screenplay for Steven Spielberg’s THE TERMINAL in 2004.

<hr>

I've never seen <b>Anvil!</b> but the cast, my God, the cast:

Sir Anthony Hopkins
Dame Helen Mirren
Scarlett Johansson
James D'Arcy
Jessica Biel
Michael Stuhlbarg
Toni Collette

No release date given but I am guessing this will be released in fall of 2013.

The Bus
04-12-12, 10:31 PM
I also wonder if Gervasi will have a cameo in the movie as homage.

FRwL
04-13-12, 01:05 AM
Glad it focuses on Psycho so people will realize his greatest movie of his filmography hint hint. I'm waiting for Leone to come out and a host of other director biopics.

Supermallet
04-13-12, 01:10 AM
The greatest movie of his filmography is Vertigo.

Solid Snake
04-13-12, 01:20 AM
Yeah...I'm a big fan of Psycho..but it's not his best. Damn good..but not his best.

FRwL
04-13-12, 01:40 AM
Vertigo is good and like a fine dinner, but i just go for comfort food now so Psycho, just has the verve to it, better music. But Psycho just for the singularly weird performance of Perkins just wins over the rich ghostly melancholic atmosphere of Vertigo. One is the best of old Hollywood with ancient fossils and traditonal filmmaking while the other is the new world edgyness prior to the 70s.

Supermallet
04-13-12, 02:55 AM
Psycho has better music than Vertigo? Vertigo is one of the all time greatest film scores.

gmanca
04-13-12, 04:01 AM
While Psycho may have had an interesting development, Hitchcock's story is much more than just the making of that film.

Not dealing with Hitchcock's obsession of Tippi Hedren makes this a fail for me.

Paul1957
04-13-12, 05:16 AM
Psycho was his most famous film.You ask the average Joe about Hitchcock it's Psycho then The Birds. Makes sense plus the drama of making a major film with his TV crew.

riotinmyskull
04-13-12, 05:46 AM
REAR WINDOW is my personal favorite but i'd have to say VERTIGO is his best film. looking forward to seeing scarlett during the shower scene.

Groucho
04-13-12, 05:48 AM
While Psycho may have had an interesting development, Hitchcock's story is much more than just the making of that film.

Not dealing with Hitchcock's obsession of Tippi Hedren makes this a fail for me.I'll wait for the preview of the trailer before declaring this a "fail", thank you very much!

Charlie Goose
04-13-12, 06:19 AM
I'm waiting for Leone to come out and a host of other director biopics.

Like maybe Boll: The Musical?

And I too am a little suprised there was no mention of Tippi Hedren.

inri222
04-13-12, 07:31 AM
The greatest movie of his filmography is Vertigo.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Bus
04-13-12, 09:48 AM
I tried to see <b>Vertigo</b> and fell asleep. Mind you, it was late.

<b>North by Northwest</b> I've seen countless times.

Goat3001
04-13-12, 10:08 AM
Vertigo is my personal favorite as well. But I think we can all agree that they're all pretty fucking awesome.

Looking forward to this. Great cast. :up:

TomOpus
04-13-12, 10:19 AM
Before this turns into a "Which Hitchcock movie is his best" thread (yeah, too late :)) I'm more curious as to how Hopkins will play Hitch. His physical traits are so iconic... the profile, and that voice.

Oh and Psycho is his best film :p

rexinnih
04-13-12, 10:45 AM
Before this turns into a "Which Hitchcock movie is his best" thread (yeah, too late :)) I'm more curious as to how Hopkins will play Hitch. His physical traits are so iconic... the profile, and that voice.

Oh and Psycho is his best film :p

.............the chins, the belly, wonder if he'll bulk up for the role.

ben12
04-13-12, 11:01 AM
I've seen most of Hitchcock's movies, but for some reason it took me a while before I watched Vertigo. I was surprised to discover that the movie started as one of those "My handsome friend, I'm going to hire you to watch over my beautiful and fragile wife. DO NOT fall in love with her!!" plots

Mabuse
04-13-12, 11:42 AM
When I first read Hitchcock staring Hopkins I thought "If it's a biopic of his whole life I hope it's a comedy or something screwy and experimental because a 2 or 3 hour telling of his whole life would suck." There's just too much. I love the idea of focusing on one film and having the making of that one film be a metaphor for the whole life. It's similar to my idea of how a Disney biopic should be done.

Daytripper
04-13-12, 11:44 AM
REAR WINDOW is my personal favorite but i'd have to say VERTIGO is his best film.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Couldn't agree more. And yes, SJ in the shower too ;) Although she looks nothing like Janet Leigh. Hell, for that matter, Hopkins looks nothing like Hitchcok either. Will make up help? Didn't when he played Nixon.

TomOpus
04-13-12, 12:33 PM
.............the chins, the belly, wonder if he'll bulk up for the role.Prosthetics along with digital manipulation should do the job.

Numanoid
04-13-12, 03:58 PM
I'm more curious as to how Hopkins will play Hitch. His physical traits are so iconic... the profile, and that voice. Not to mention that Hopkins is 15 years older now (and looks it) than Hitch would have been during the Psycho period.

I would think that someone like Paul Giamatti would've been a better choice.

Why So Blu?
04-13-12, 04:17 PM
Rope is his best.

Dr. DVD
04-13-12, 04:58 PM
Cool news.

Mabuse
04-13-12, 05:03 PM
Bob Hoskins would have made the perfect Hitchcock and not to be a dick but Alma Hitchcock was a very plain woman. Having Helen Mirren play her is a compliment to say the least.

Dr. DVD
04-13-12, 05:56 PM
Bob Hoskins would have made the perfect Hitchcock and not to be a dick but Alma Hitchcock was a very plain woman. Having Helen Mirren play her is a compliment to say the least.

Actually, all of the actresses they have selected to play these women will be compliments.

Mabuse
04-13-12, 06:24 PM
Janet Leigh was fucking hot with great big cans. She'd have given SJ a run for her money. SJ will certainly be a lot better than Anne Heche-eek-

gmanca
04-14-12, 01:54 AM
I'll wait for the preview of the trailer before declaring this a "fail", thank you very much!

I know this is a Groucho reply but seriously, the Hedren period of his life and his falling out with Herrmann are pretty important milestones in the fall of Hitchcock. To make a Hitchcock biopic without them is a half-hearted attempt.

Jaymole
04-14-12, 06:54 AM
I tried to see <b>Vertigo</b> and fell asleep. Mind you, it was late.

<b>North by Northwest</b> I've seen countless times.

I saw Vertigo in the theaters when it was re-released back in the 80's and I was very disappointed.

I've seen it quite a few times since then and it is now my favorite Hitchcock film and one of my 5 favorite films of all time.

sharkstank
04-14-12, 07:10 AM
The 39 Steps is his best movie!!! ;)

Hopefully they don't cram so much into such a small amount of time that the movie seems super rushed. A movie about Hitchcock's life should be pretty good though, I'll be there.

I will also accept a reworking of the facts to get Scarlett and Jessica Biel in a shower together, but that's just me...

rw2516
04-14-12, 09:31 AM

Not dealing with Hitchcock's obsession of Tippi Hedren makes this a fail for me.

Wasn't he obsessed with all his blonde leading ladies? Starting with Grace Kelly. Eva Marie Saint was Kelly's replacement. Later came Hedren.
Also, heard/read once that the shower scene with blonde Janet Leigh was Hitchcock's way at getting back at his blonde leading ladies in a Freudian way.

FRwL
04-14-12, 02:28 PM
Psycho has better music than Vertigo? Vertigo is one of the all time greatest film scores.

Psycho was the one that made it on TCM's Top 15 Influential Film Soundtracks (http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/01/27/most-influential-movie-soundtracks-selected/), and with good reason, the kung fu is merely stronger. Using the The Good, the Bad the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West as a comparison (since both are also seen as Leone's best, although i disagree). GBU is Psycho , the more widely loved one, more commercial, more iconic music (also on TCM's list), while OUATITW is more reflective, slower, melancholic, deals with woman stuff. GBU-Psycho both have a really picaro/eccentric figure as a lead. But sound wise... Psycho. Psycho's multiple string repetition spawned many other horrors, kind of like the coyote howl. Just look at the opening credits sequence.

gmanca
04-14-12, 05:26 PM
Wasn't he obsessed with all his blonde leading ladies? Starting with Grace Kelly. Eva Marie Saint was Kelly's replacement. Later came Hedren.
Also, heard/read once that the shower scene with blonde Janet Leigh was Hitchcock's way at getting back at his blonde leading ladies in a Freudian way.

True, he did have an obsession with his blonde leads but only Hedren was discovered by Hitchcock whom he managed, giving him more control than just as a director.

Numanoid
04-18-12, 05:29 PM
First pic of Hopkins as Hitch is in. Wow.

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/people/i/2012/news/120430/hitchcock-300.jpg

MoviePage
04-18-12, 05:49 PM
Nice.

Supermallet
04-18-12, 05:59 PM
Psycho was the one that made it on TCM's Top 15 Influential Film Soundtracks (http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/01/27/most-influential-movie-soundtracks-selected/), and with good reason, the kung fu is merely stronger. Using the The Good, the Bad the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West as a comparison (since both are also seen as Leone's best, although i disagree). GBU is Psycho , the more widely loved one, more commercial, more iconic music (also on TCM's list), while OUATITW is more reflective, slower, melancholic, deals with woman stuff. GBU-Psycho both have a really picaro/eccentric figure as a lead. But sound wise... Psycho. Psycho's multiple string repetition spawned many other horrors, kind of like the coyote howl. Just look at the opening credits sequence.

I love Psycho, but Vertigo is an even more impressive set of compositions.

As for GBTU vs. OUATIW, I say For A Few Dollars More is the best of the bunch.

Crocker Jarmen
04-18-12, 10:55 PM
That picture is great! Simaltaneously I can see Hopkins and Hitchcock. I'd be fine if they never made the movie, that picture is good enough for me.

Solid Snake
04-18-12, 10:57 PM

good god. Wow.

TomOpus
04-19-12, 09:10 AM

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/people/i/2012/news/120430/hitchcock-300.jpgNot too shabby. Hitch's "look" was one of my concerns so I like what I see.

foofighters7
04-19-12, 09:22 AM
I have been a Hitchcock fan since I was about 6 or 7. Although Vertigo is terrific it is not as good as Psycho.

Psycho is my favorite film of all time and I have reasons.

For me, the details of Psycho help it stand so high.

Perkins gives a fantastic performance. His delivery, the tensing of his jaw, the movement of his hands all create a perfect character.

The music in Psycho is by and far the most memorable music of any Hitchcock film. I would also say it's probably the best or second best. Vertigo's score was, of course, terrific as well.
I hum the Psycho score pretty much every day. It's so wonderfully connected to the visuals that you would think the music sprung forth from those scenes naturally, without a writer. They fit so perfectly.

Hitchcock does a magnificent job of telling the audience just enough to keep them guessing but not enough for people to say, "Ohh I got it.." 30 minutes into the film. For it's time it was quite the shocker and if you can find someone who's managed to elude it's gaze for the past 52 years, they are usually shocked as well.
I had the pleasure of showing this to someone about 15 years ago who had never seen it and never heard about it! (I Know, how is that possible?) By the end they were quite surprised. They told me that at one point when they were trying to figure everything out the possibility came to them that it could be Norman but because he seemed to lack the ability to deal with those situations they quickly forgot about him being a possibility.

I could really go on and on about Psycho but don't have the time and anyway, who really cares!

As far as this film goes, I hope it will be good but I don't have much anticipation for it. Usually these type of Biographical films just don't seem to hold together well.

Crocker Jarmen
04-19-12, 10:31 AM
I had the pleasure of showing this to someone about 15 years ago who had never seen it and never heard about it! (I Know, how is that possible?) By the end they were quite surprised. They told me that at one point when they were trying to figure everything out the possibility came to them that it could be Norman but because he seemed to lack the ability to deal with those situations they quickly forgot about him being a possibility.

I had a similar experience 20 years ago when we watched Psycho in my high school media arts class. One of my friends didn't know anything about old movies and hadn't heard any details of Psycho, so he was totally surprised about how the movie unfolded. He told me that he started thinking there was no mother, but changed his mind during the scene when Norman carried her down the stairs. When the corpse legs were bouncing as Norman decided the stairs, my friend said at the time he interpreted that as mother kicking, so he was convinced she was both real and alive.

Rival11
04-19-12, 11:30 AM
Love seeing the (friendly) arguments about what Hitchcock's best film was upon hearing any news about him ...............for me, it will always be Psycho...that film just had such a huge impact on me.

outcastja
04-21-12, 01:28 PM
A little off topic, but I thought this was pretty cool.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/37120554?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/37120554">Rear Window Timelapse</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1291877">Jeff Desom</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Mabuse
04-23-12, 01:05 PM
That is insane. Amazing. That must have taken a lot of effort. It also reveals the brilliance of Rear Window's point of view compositions. Hitchcock would have loved that.

TomOpus
05-02-12, 11:06 PM
Small bump for just a tidbit of info for those really interested, Scarlett Johansson is on the Tonight Show right now and said yesterday was her first day filming.

Dr. DVD
05-03-12, 10:07 AM
What was the name of the book upon which this movie is based? FWIW, I watched Psycho the other night and after Maron Crane is stabbed and is slowly dying with her wet hair, she does look a bit like Scarlett Johannsen. Guess the casting is pretty good in that regard.

Groucho
05-03-12, 10:09 AM
What was the name of the book upon which this movie is based?Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho by Stephen Rebello

Very good read. I've had it in my library for years.

riotinmyskull
05-16-12, 06:46 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/rh8wau.jpg

inri222
05-16-12, 06:58 PM
I have been a Hitchcock fan since I was about 6 or 7. Although Vertigo is terrific it is not as good as Psycho.

Psycho is my favorite film of all time and I have reasons.

For me, the details of Psycho help it stand so high.

Perkins gives a fantastic performance. His delivery, the tensing of his jaw, the movement of his hands all create a perfect character.

The music in Psycho is by and far the most memorable music of any Hitchcock film. I would also say it's probably the best or second best. Vertigo's score was, of course, terrific as well.
I hum the Psycho score pretty much every day. It's so wonderfully connected to the visuals that you would think the music sprung forth from those scenes naturally, without a writer. They fit so perfectly.

Hitchcock does a magnificent job of telling the audience just enough to keep them guessing but not enough for people to say, "Ohh I got it.." 30 minutes into the film. For it's time it was quite the shocker and if you can find someone who's managed to elude it's gaze for the past 52 years, they are usually shocked as well.

I could really go on and on about Psycho but don't have the time and anyway, who really cares!

As far as this film goes, I hope it will be good but I don't have much anticipation for it. Usually these type of Biographical films just don't seem to hold together well.

Here is what I said in this thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/565518-your-favorite-hitchcock-film.html) about why IMO Vertigo is his best.

Vertigo - A twisted psychological noir about a fucked up individual's sexual obssession with a dead woman. One of Hitchcock's deepest films. Excellent cinematography, acting and music. Freud would have loved this film.

Once you've seen it and know the "twist" it still does not not ruin it.
Every time you watch it you notice something new in it.
By the way, Psycho comes in at a close second for me.

RocShemp
05-16-12, 07:00 PM

Holy crap! :up:

http://i46.tinypic.com/rh8wau.jpg

I approve.

Solid Snake
05-16-12, 07:30 PM
Wow. Johansson is rocking it.

Terrell
05-16-12, 07:43 PM
The film will also star Scarlett Johansson (LOST IN TRANSLATION) as Janet Leigh

UGH!!! Honestly, they couldn't get anyone better than her to play Janet Leigh?

Dr. DVD
05-16-12, 08:21 PM
UGH!!! Honestly, they couldn't get anyone better than her to play Janet Leigh?

Why the hate for Scarlett? She's not the best actress in the world, but she is far from horrible. She delivers quite well IMO, and looks quite a bit like Janet Leigh in her day. Also, who better to play an old fashioned starlet than a modern starlet?

RocShemp
05-16-12, 09:16 PM
Why the hate for Scarlett? She's not the best actress in the world, but she is far from horrible. She delivers quite well IMO, and looks quite a bit like Janet Leigh in her day. Also, who better to play an old fashioned starlet than a modern starlet?

Pretty much my thoughts verbatim.

MoviePage
05-17-12, 06:20 PM
I'm not at all sold on the idea of Johansson as Leigh (smacks of the usual "we need a hot star in this somewhere"), but I'm keeping an open mind and would love it if she nails the part.

Numanoid
05-17-12, 07:07 PM
Why the hate for Scarlett? She's not the best actress in the world, but she is far from horrible. Like most modern stars, Scarlett Johansson plays herself in every role. She does very little "acting".

Solid Snake
05-17-12, 07:11 PM
Ehhhhh...even the old stars did that. John Wayne is a culprit of it. Among many more.

Numanoid
05-18-12, 01:02 AM
Yeah, that's true. Seems like the more "bankable" you are, the less you have to act.

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 11:44 AM
Add in that most of the CLASSIC old actors were nowhere near the level of the great MODERN actors. And I'm focusing that on the US. Cuz....great foreign actors acting was levels beyond what we had here in that time.

Mabuse
05-18-12, 12:01 PM
Like most modern stars, Scarlett Johansson plays herself in every role. She does very little "acting"."Star" pretty much means you play yourself and/or play one persona in every role.

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 12:15 PM
for the most part...yes.

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 01:01 PM
"Star" pretty much means you play yourself and/or play one persona in every role.

Indeed.

http://bbwebb.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/daniel_day_lewis.jpg

RocShemp
05-18-12, 01:11 PM
Indeed.

http://bbwebb.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/daniel_day_lewis.jpg

Daniel Day Lewis is not a star. I would go see any movie he leads simply because he's the lead. But, although he's been in some hits, he's not as bankable as we'd like to believe.

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 01:35 PM
Daniel Day Lewis is not a star.

He's not a star? :lol:

MoviePage
05-18-12, 01:37 PM
Add in that most of the CLASSIC old actors were nowhere near the level of the great MODERN actors. And I'm focusing that on the US. Cuz....great foreign actors acting was levels beyond what we had here in that time.

I don't know about that. It was just a totally different style of acting that was purposely used up until things changed with Brando.

RocShemp
05-18-12, 01:41 PM
He's not a star? :lol:

No he's not. He's a fantastic actor (and my favorite actor) but you'd be hard pressed to sell a movie on his name alone.

inri222
05-18-12, 01:46 PM
Daniel Day Lewis is not a star. Hell when I saw that he was second billed to DiCaprio in Gangs of New York even I felt insulted.

RocShemp
05-18-12, 01:49 PM
Daniel Day Lewis is not a star. Hell when I saw that he was second billed to DiCaprio in Gangs of New York even I felt insulted.

Exactly, if Daniel Day Lewis were a star, he'd have had top billing in that movie (regardless of wether or not he was the lead character) or he would have had the coveted "and" credit. He got standard second billing instead.

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 02:11 PM
No he's not. He's a fantastic actor (and my favorite actor) but you'd be hard pressed to sell a movie on his name alone.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but a two time Best Actor winner and one the most acclaimed actors of his generation, who's top billed as Lincoln in the new Spielberg film is not a star?

Granted he's not some mega box-office superstar draw.... he definitely falls into the category of movie "star". :shrug:

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 02:33 PM
I'd call him a movie star. That's every name actor who's known. A superstar is someone like...Bruce Lee. Which reminds me of that interview that he had and told his thoughts on being a "star" Man...what he could have done if never died. I wonder how the HK industry would've changed. Hell...the US too.

Mabuse
05-18-12, 03:22 PM
This should be a thread all to itself. Daniel Day Lewis is a great actor, not a star. He would tell you so himself.

First of all take the inverse of what I said above: "Star" pretty much means you play yourself and/or play one persona in every roleDDL doesn't play one persona in every role; for that reason alone he is not a star.

Second, most people in the industry would define a star as an actor who can initiate a project on their name alone. Whether or not a movie like Rum Diary or The Tourist gets made depends entirely upon Johnny Depp saying "I'm in". If he's out, the development project stops or goes into turn around. As great as he is this does not apply to DDL.

TomOpus
05-18-12, 03:52 PM
This should be a thread all to itself. I believe there is a thread about him floating around here.

Mittman
09-20-12, 12:37 PM
So apparently this is now being released on Black Friday. Perhaps in an effort to be considered for this year's Oscars?

http://collider.com/great-gatsby-hitchcock-release-date/196897/

Ash Ketchum
09-20-12, 01:37 PM
Ehhhhh...even the old stars did that. John Wayne is a culprit of it. Among many more.

Well, I don't want Scarlett Johansson playing John Wayne either!

Really, if there's one old-school star Scarlett should play, it's Gloria Grahame:

http://trakt.us/images/people/23919.jpg

And getting back to HITCHCOCK, Jessica Biel plays Vera Miles. Biel is kind of nondescript to me. Here's what Vera looked like in PSYCHO:
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsM/12004-15346.jpg

obscurelabel
09-20-12, 02:10 PM
And getting back to HITCHCOCK, Jessica Biel plays Vera Miles. Biel is kind of nondescript to me. Here's what Vera looked like in PSYCHO:
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsM/12004-15346.jpg

Sounds perfect to me! Because, Vera Miles is an actor that I have liked in every movie and TV role of hers I've seen, but for some reason I never can remember what she looks like. A few months back I saw a bit of her Columbo episode (missed the opening credits) and just could not place her. Again.

Ash Ketchum
09-20-12, 02:18 PM
When I looked at the cast list for this film on IMDB, I was surprised to see that, given all the PSYCHO cast members featured in the film, there was no mention of Patricia Hitchcock anywhere. She's Hitchcock's daughter and she's in PSYCHO. So why isn't she in this film?

antspawn
09-20-12, 03:34 PM
Poster

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/781253/thumbs/o-HITCHCOCK-RELEASE-DATE-570.jpg?

inri222
09-20-12, 05:47 PM
When I looked at the cast list for this film on IMDB, I was surprised to see that, given all the PSYCHO cast members featured in the film, there was no mention of Patricia Hitchcock anywhere. She's Hitchcock's daughter and she's in PSYCHO. So why isn't she in this film?

They do have

Michael Wincott...Ed Gein

should be interesting.

JumpCutz
09-20-12, 06:31 PM
They do have

Michael Wincott...Ed Gein

should be interesting.

I wasn't aware of this little nugget. :thumbsup:

RocShemp
09-20-12, 06:54 PM
Michael Wincott makes everything better. :up:

Crocker Jarmen
09-20-12, 06:56 PM

Perhaps the fact Alfred and Alma had a daughter interfers with the way the filmmaker's want to portray their relationship so they just wrote her existence out of the story. Making a bio-pic like this, you usually need to fudge a lot of real life relationships and facts in order to get the "story" you want, so first wives disappear, anti-semetism is ignored, boxers win fights they didn't really and Orson Welles is in the right place at the right time to inspire Ed Wood.

AVP77
09-22-12, 01:31 PM
That poster would make me very much *not* want to see the movie. I know it's riffing on the historical art style of the time, but Hitchcock himself seems like one of those people whose cultural cache died before their body did. I know movie buffs are going to want to see this, but I wonder if it'll hold any appeal for the general public?

Solid Snake
09-22-12, 02:01 PM
I'll see it if I hear good word but personally..shit like that pisses me off. If I learned about it after..fair game. If it's before...you're treading on some ground w/ me that will actually decide if I see it in theaters or not...the only to convince that is if I hear good things..but shit like that pisses me off.

RagingBull80
09-22-12, 02:05 PM
I want to see a trailer to see what kind of tone they're going for with this. I love Psycho and I love the idea of focusing on that specific time frame.

Mabuse
09-24-12, 12:36 PM
I think that poster is horible. First of all it looks neither like Hitchcock nor Anthony Hopkins. Second, Hitchcock was famous for his profile so having him face the viewer is a bad choice.

Ash Ketchum
09-24-12, 01:06 PM
I think that poster is horible. First of all it looks neither like Hitchcock nor Anthony Hopkins. Second, Hitchcock was famous for his profile so having him face the viewer is a bad choice.

Well, to be fair, when he said "Good evening" to viewers on his TV show, he always faced the camera--and the poster explicitly references that.

Crocker Jarmen
09-24-12, 01:47 PM
My problem with the poster is the (intentional I think) way the knife handle looks like his tie, so the blade isn't apparant, and looks instead like he is holding a microphone. It looks like a poster for a movie about old time radio!

MoviePage
10-04-12, 11:02 PM
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/images/column/season12/peoplecock.jpg

dex14
10-08-12, 02:00 PM
The "other Hitchcock movie" about The Birds, called That Girl, premieres on HBO 10/20

Solid Snake
10-10-12, 12:59 PM
Alright. It's got my interest more so now. Still iffy but I'm willing to give it a shot.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BvngZkDH9xs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. DVD
10-10-12, 01:16 PM
^ Looks like a lot of fun, kind of Ed Wood meets The Artist, if that makes sense. Only complaint is that it seems like Hopkins is playing Hannibal Lecter masquerading as Hitchcock as opposed to playing Hitchcock.

gmanca
10-10-12, 02:09 PM
As I feared, it's more "The Making of Psycho" than "The Life of Hitchcock"

Mabuse
10-10-12, 02:15 PM
As I feared, it's more "The Making of Psycho" than "The Life of Hitchcock"

The filmmakers never claimed it was anything but "The Making of Psycho". I think it's a good choice, a film covering his whole carreer would either be too long, or cram too much in to a short piece, and either way it might not be very dramatic.

Groucho
10-10-12, 02:22 PM
I'm looking forward to the shot-for-shot remake of this called Van Sant.

Solid Snake
10-10-12, 02:57 PM
http://geektyrant.com/storage/0999-post-images/alfredhitchock109203126.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1349797901715

Crocker Jarmen
10-10-12, 04:03 PM
That looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. There's been so many TV docs about Hitchcock already I'm happy to see a MOVIE with stars and lots of exaggerations and made up incidents.

The Bus
10-10-12, 04:10 PM
iTunes / Quicktime trailer: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/hitchcock/

riotinmyskull
10-10-12, 04:12 PM
embedded:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3rQuRLERl6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

looks very entertaining....might we see some scarlett boobs?

Groucho
10-10-12, 04:14 PM
I guarantee we won't.

cungar
10-10-12, 04:23 PM
Poster

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/781253/thumbs/o-HITCHCOCK-RELEASE-DATE-570.jpg?

He should do the Robert Morley story

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3olb_4N-2QM/THrFHL2QOXI/AAAAAAAAAvU/LJjgJQF31Wk/s1600/RobertMorleyPublicityPortrait.jpg

Why So Blu?
10-10-12, 06:48 PM
Michael Wincott makes everything better. :up:

Indeed!

Why So Blu?
10-10-12, 06:52 PM
I'll see it. Looks fun.

RagingBull80
10-10-12, 06:56 PM
This looks like it will be pretty entertaining. It does however look a bit melodramatic. Hopefully that's just the way the trailer is cut.

The Bus
10-10-12, 07:15 PM
Looks fantastic!

Supermallet
10-10-12, 07:50 PM
If that has ScarJo properly topless I will see it ten times.

TomOpus
10-11-12, 05:56 AM
Since it's PG-13 we'll probably see them as clearly as we see Janet Leigh's in the original movie.

Supermallet
10-11-12, 12:16 PM
:mad:

Mabuse
10-11-12, 12:18 PM
Well then I'm expecting lots of bra shots.

RichC2
10-11-12, 02:26 PM
Can you no longer have titties in PG-13?

Edit: PG-13 for some violent images, sexual content and thematic material. :(

Proper PG-13 rating:
Rated PG-13 for disaster related peril and violence, nudity, sensuality and brief language.

RocShemp
10-11-12, 02:48 PM
I miss the good ol' days when even PG movies had some uncovered titties shown in their full glory. :sad:

Ash Ketchum
10-11-12, 03:24 PM
I miss the good ol' days when even PG movies had some uncovered titties shown in their full glory. :sad:

I remember full frontal in more than a few PG movies. In the summer of 1971, as a youth counselor, I took a group of kids from the South Bronx to see Nicolas Roeg's WALKABOUT and the kids got all excited at Jenny Agutter's nude swimming scene. (I was 17 or 18 at the time, so I got excited, too!) Needless to say, when the program's director heard about it he cancelled all remaining film trips that summer. And the age range of the kids was pretty wide--I don't remember what the youngest was, though. 9? 8? 6? Can you imagine a youth group today going to any film that wasn't Disney or Pixar?

Mattflix
10-11-12, 03:52 PM
Very excited to see this. I'm happy it's merely the making of Psycho rather than Hitchcock's entire life.

I've got a big problem with biopics in general because they tend to all feel like the same movie over and over again. You get a brief scene or two of the subject's childhood and establish some sort of trauma that haunts them throughout their life. Then show their early breaks and accomplishments. Then the fame goes to their head and they try to make suspense over whether or not they'll end up as some horrible jerk. Then they redeem themselves and live happily, fade to blake with text explaining that they left X legacy and died on Y date. Nominate the star for a Best Actor Oscar.

Once in a while you get something special like Ed Wood (ironically from a director who remakes the same movie over and over), but I've generally learnt to steer clear of biopics.

cungar
10-11-12, 04:23 PM

I think the preponderence of an unlimited amount of porn on the internet more than makes up for this deficiency.

TomOpus
10-11-12, 05:53 PM
If you want to see her boob, there's still the photo and got on the internet.

Supermallet
10-11-12, 06:38 PM
Yes, but those are cell phone shots. Give me some nudity in glorious 35mm!

RocShemp
10-12-12, 09:00 AM
Yes, but those are cell phone shots. Give me some nudity in glorious 35mm!

You must hate Michael Bay since Scarlett wanted to appear nude in The Island but Bay declined because he wanted the film to be PG-13.

I'd rather see her nude in 70mm or IMAX. A work of art deserves the best possible presentation.

Solid Snake
10-12-12, 10:13 AM
IMAX, yes.

Mr. Cinema
11-26-12, 01:05 PM
This opened in a few theaters on 11/23. Does anyone know when this will expand?

mdc3000
11-27-12, 10:25 AM
No idea, but I'd say there is no need to rush out and see it. The movie was a really mixed bag - the personal life stuff with Hitch and Alma doesn't play at all. The Ed Gein stuff completely derails the picture and only when they are trying to make/shooting Psycho is the movie any good.... All the ingredients were here for this to be a stellar flick, but as it stands, it is a disappointing mishmash that misses the mark over and over. 2.5/5

GreenVulture
11-27-12, 01:50 PM
Give me some nudity in glorious 35mm!
Unfortunately nudity and 35mm are both becoming increasingly rare these days in theaters.

PopcornTreeCt
11-27-12, 02:25 PM
You must hate Michael Bay since Scarlett wanted to appear nude in The Island but Bay declined because he wanted the film to be PG-13.

I'd rather see her nude in 70mm or IMAX. A work of art deserves the best possible presentation.

With proper lighting, not some dark bedroom set.

gp1086
11-27-12, 03:57 PM
The performances were good, especially Helen Mirren, but this was a fairly boring movie overall. The parts where they show Hitchcock making Psycho and discuss the film-making process were interesting. Everything about Hitchcock's personal life and a side story just filled in the gaps and offered very little to that was entertaining. 6.5 / 10 with an extra point in there for the strong performances.

printerati
11-27-12, 04:13 PM
You, sir, have failed to answer the most important question about the film.

mdc3000
11-27-12, 09:40 PM
It is a PG flick - not a bare breast or ass shot to be found.

GatorDeb
12-12-12, 04:35 AM
I am sooooooo psyched to see this on Friday :)

GatorDeb
12-14-12, 10:58 PM
Highly recommended. Top notch performances. Hate seeing actors getting old though :( Wonder if AH really is that heavy or whether those are prosthetics.

Patman
12-16-12, 12:17 PM
Covering the time period when Alfred Hitchcock made "Psycho", this film detailed the obstacles in getting the film made, albeit at considerable financial and professional risk to him (Anthony Hopkins) and his wife Alma (Helen Mirren), but the film doesn't quite gell with its story elements. While some of the movie-making segments are interesting (negotiating with the ratings board on how much could be shown of the now-famous shower scene from "Psycho", wrangling with the studio head, "technical" and hands-on direction of Janet Leigh during the shower scene), Alma's subplot with another screenwriter just occupies some screen time to gives Hitchcock some nuggets for feeding his paranoia and highlight the couple's own individual insecurities in their middle-aged years. And throughout, the script features Hitchcock's tripping out with his own inner demons as he struggled to put the film together. It's not a messy film, just not an engaging film overall.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Terminal
12-16-12, 12:33 PM
It's a very lightweight and mainstream look at Hitchcock and fails to deliver any insight in to his obsession with blondes or women in general. Hitchcock is depicted more as a lovable oaf with romance issues, while Hopkins fails to channel Hitchcock all that well.

The stand out performances are Scarlett Johannsen as Janet Leigh who is just glowing on screen and James Darcy as Anthony Perkins who only has one scene but really invokes the mannerisms and personality of Anthony Perkins. Incredible walk on role.

Altogether this is a movie for people not too familiar with Hitchcock. The more versed movie fans won't walk away with any new tidbits or insight.

asianxcore
12-21-12, 12:02 AM
I enjoyed it, but wasn't fond of all the Ed Gein material.

Terrell
12-21-12, 12:58 AM
The stand out performances are Scarlett Johannsen

Scarlett with a stand out performance. I'll have to see that to believe it.

JumpCutz
04-13-13, 01:41 AM
The stand out performances are Scarlett Johannsen as Janet Leigh who is just glowing on screen and James Darcy as Anthony Perkins who only has one scene

SJ is serviceable at best (yeah she looks the part) and JD is very good with his limited screen time.

Helen Mirren is the stand-out performance. She blows everyone off the screen, including Hopkins.

gmanca
04-13-13, 03:08 AM
I haven't seen this but I'm willing to bet that "The Girl" was the better film, by a lot. Really enjoyed the dark angle that film took.

Why So Blu?
04-13-13, 09:59 AM
Michael Wincott as Ed Gein was awesome, too.

Terminal
04-13-13, 11:04 AM
SJ is serviceable at best (yeah she looks the part) and JD is very good with his limited screen time.

Yeah no, I disagree.

TomOpus
09-23-13, 01:55 PM
Bump

Saw it on cable and have to agree with Patman; movie wasn't very engaging. Can't quite put my finger on it but I wasn't terribly impressed with Hopkins as Hitch. I was hoping for something better so color me as disappointed in the production.