DVD Talk
The Cabin in the Woods (Goddard, 2012) — The Reviews Thread (Spoilers) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Cabin in the Woods (Goddard, 2012) — The Reviews Thread (Spoilers)

Pages : [1] 2

Matthew Chmiel
04-12-12, 11:13 PM
BEWARE: This is a film that one wants to go in with little-to-no knowledge of. I'm sure we're going to have a plethora of spoilers as this thread continues, so be cautious before reading (or posting) in this thread.

Please continue pre-release discussion here. (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/548336-cabin-woods-dir-goddard-2010-jenkins-whitford.html)

Movie:
"The Cabin in the Woods" (Starring: Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchison, Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams, Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford.)

Release Date:
04/13/2012

Rating:
R (for being in the fucking awesome department with strong bloody horror violence and gore, language, drug use and nudity. Are you not entertained?)

Running Time:
95 minutes (1h. 35m.)

Budget:
$30 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.6 (1,209 votes as of 04/12/12) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259521/)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:89 Rotten:7 (92% as of 04/12/12) (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_cabin_in_the_woods/)

Metacritic:
73 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 04/12/12) (http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-cabin-in-the-woods)

Trailer:
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NsIilFNNmkY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NsIilFNNmkY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
http://i.imgur.com/P0u3t.jpg

Why So Blu?
04-13-12, 01:11 AM
Just got back from a members only screening and it was PHENOMENAL!

I was hoping we'd see Cthuluhu, because they kept alluding to the "Ancient Ones."

This is the SPOILER thread right? ;)

Matthew Chmiel
04-13-12, 01:13 PM
My wife described the film as the following:

"It's as if Joss Whedon saw a horror film and splooged all over it."

She hated every, single minute of the film other than the unicorn's appearance and the cameo of a famous actress during the finale.

I, on the other hand, thought it was a blast from beginning to end. A near-perfect genre blend of horror, science-fiction and comedy.

I can't wait for the Blu-ray because there will be some moments I wanted to freeze frame while I was in the theater, like the white board for example.

boredsilly
04-13-12, 01:50 PM
I can't wait for the Blu-ray because there will be some moments I wanted to freeze frame while I was in the theater, like the white board for example.

Yeah, me too. Especially when the camera pulled back and revealed all of the nightmare creatures in their cages. I know Joss only wrote, and didn't direct, but I really was looking for a cameo by a big bad from Buffy. The perfect thing to use would have been the Gentlemen.

I really liked the allusion to Pinhead, but did they riff on any other modern classic baddies? I saw a clown, which could be a take on Pennywise, but no Jason, Freddy, or Chucky stand-ins that I could see.

So the movie. I liked it. I didn't love it, but as a horror fan I was really into seeing this take on the familiar tropes of horror. The actors were fine, but I didn't really care about any of them. I found the blonde girl to be pretty effective, but the fool was so cartooney that he almost took me out of the movie. Also, the cutesy moments in the movie definitely didn't help with the tension. That might not be a fair criticism because I'm not sure this movie was trying to be truly scary, but if it was it failed in that regard entirely for me. What it succeeded in was being a neat meta take on the horror genre. I'm always open for that. I think I would have been more into the tense stuff at the cabin if I didn't already know about the facility underground pulling the strings. I don't know how they could have held that reveal back, but if I didn't know about that element of the movie until Fool found the secret elevator, I might have felt more tense at the Friday the 13th style kills at the cabin.

What did you all think about the decision that was made at the end of the movie?

OldBoy
04-13-12, 03:04 PM
defintely different. good for the most part, but we had a little group in back that talked throughout and the print i think was too dark in the theater.

fun though and a good twist on the genre.

could someone spoilerize all the homages?

boredsilly
04-13-12, 03:12 PM
defintely different. good for the most part, but we had a little group in back that talked throughout and the print i think was too dark in the theater.

It might not have just been your theater. The scenes in the forest were really dark at my screening too. Might just be how it was shot?

bcd
04-14-12, 01:07 AM
Saw this tonight. Pretty fucking awesome!!

Draven
04-14-12, 01:29 AM
Thought it was outstanding. Though I knew some of what was going to happen (from the trailers), the movie continued to surprise me throughout. They did a great job of ratcheting it up to a pretty big finish for such a "small" beginning. And it actually held up to its own mythology, with some pretty decent answers to why they were doing what they were doing.

My wife and I were huge Buffy/Angel fans and there were definitely glimmers of those ideas (The Initiative is the most obvious) but they had the rated-R setting to really do it up right.

One of the most entertaining nights at the theater in a LONG time.

mdc3000
04-14-12, 01:47 AM
It might not have just been your theater. The scenes in the forest were really dark at my screening too. Might just be how it was shot?

I've seen it twice and never thought it was overly dark or hard to see what was happening. Will definitely buy the blu and want to freeze frame vault stuff. Someone spotted the witch from Left 4 Dead, which Goddard told us was originally planned as a tie in with some dlc originally. Also a molesting tree can be seen as well. Love this movie so much.

Why So Blu?
04-14-12, 01:51 AM
Did enjoy the little Japanese children defeating the demon. It was disgustingly cute and got some of the biggest laughs in the movie.

Also enjoyed the opening credits, how they freeze frame in the bunker with CABIN IN THE WOODS in red letters - it's not even consistent, but did get some major laughs, as well.

OldBoy
04-14-12, 01:56 AM
Also enjoyed the opening credits, how they freeze frame in the bunker with CABIN IN THE WOODS in red letters - it's not even consistent, but did get some major laughs, as well.

i loved the opening title card as well. i don't get what needs to be spoiled though. i must have missed a lot, but didn't the trailers pretty much tell you what was going on and that this was not typical horror movie fare and more of a controlled atmosphere of horror? what should the spoilers be?

Why So Blu?
04-14-12, 02:25 AM
i loved the opening title card as well. i don't get what needs to be spoiled though. i must have missed a lot, but didn't the trailers pretty much tell you what was going on and that this was not typical horror movie fare and more of a controlled atmosphere of horror? what should the spoilers be?

I know some people that were hellbent on not reading or watching anything related to the film. They knew the least amount of info concerning the film. Personally, I only watched one trailer, but I had already heard that the closest thing this came to was the Cube films minus the comedy and horror element. Cabin was a mash-up of Sci-Fi/Horror/Comedy. Cube was just survival Science Fiction.

joliom
04-14-12, 07:42 AM
I think I liked the idea of what it was trying to do more than the actual results. There were some genuinely great moments, but the ending was stupid and the guy doing the Shaggy from Scooby Doo impersonation nearly killed the whole movie for me. I can't decide if I like the fact that they revealed the control room/puppet master element right from the start or not. It took the suspense out of watching the characters struggle to survive (at least up until they discover the elevator), a problem since the focus remains mostly on them. I also really wish they had withheld the answer to what exactly the puppet masters end game was until the very end. But they mentioned ritual sacrifice to appease the evil gods of old late in the first act, if I remember correctly.

Pointyskull
04-14-12, 09:27 AM
Pretty fucking awesome!!
Thought it was outstanding.
One of the most entertaining nights at the theater in a LONG time.

:thumbsup:

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

I can't wait for the Blu-Ray so I can freeze-frame to read the creatures on the betting board and also take a closer look at them during the elevator reveal of all the chambers.

Dr. DVD
04-14-12, 09:58 AM
Guess I'll just paste what I did in the other thread since this is where the reviews are now located.

Saw it. Fucking loved it. Won't go into much detail as just about anything would be a spoiler. This was definitely more Whedon's baby than anything else, and it shows. Do what everyone else says, avoid reading anything about it before going into the theater. A clean slate works best. However, I have come to the conclusion that Amy Acker must be made my girlfriend. Any tips on how to land her without going to L.A. or any real effort on my part would be appreciated! :D

I completely lost it when it showed the two guys in charge dancing. Franz Kanz/Topher completely stole the show, as he should. Also loved the Sigourney Weaver cameo. I figured Whedon had always been looking for a way to get her into one of his productions (Alien:Resurrection doesn't count). Anyone else think that at the end Dana would transform into a werewolf and save the world in a fucked up manner? Also, the evil god hand at the end looked a lot like Kronos from Wrath of the Titans.

Tom Creo
04-14-12, 10:05 AM
I don't need to have seen Buffy or Angel to get the ah ha moments, do I?

Pointyskull
04-14-12, 10:07 AM
I don't need to have seen Buffy or Angel to get the ah ha moments, do I?

Nope. Not at all.

There are few fan-friendly casting choice nods to prior Whedon projects, but nothing content-wise that requires any Buffy/Angel knowledge.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

And stop reading this thread: SPOILERS!

kstublen
04-14-12, 11:42 AM
Could anyone make out what the Intern (Tom Lenk) had written on the notepad toward the end?

dsa_shea
04-14-12, 11:49 AM
I thought the movie was ok. My wife definitely did not like how it ended and I was indifferent about it. The best part was the reveal of all of the cages. I really wish that they would have incorporated more of the monsters in the scenario rather than the massive unleash underground. And it was a bit too much to try and believe that they had this massive complex out in the middle of nowhere.

CKMorpheus
04-14-12, 01:12 PM
I thought the movie was ok. My wife definitely did not like how it ended and I was indifferent about it. The best part was the reveal of all of the cages. I really wish that they would have incorporated more of the monsters in the scenario rather than the massive unleash underground. And it was a bit too much to try and believe that they had this massive complex out in the middle of nowhere.

My only concern with the ending was the massive "Purge" button she used to unleash all those monsters. It what other scenario would a button like that be useful?

dsa_shea
04-14-12, 01:16 PM
My only concern with the ending was the massive "Purge" button she used to unleash all those monsters. It what other scenario would a button like that be useful?

I was actually thinking about that exact same thing while getting my lunch ready. Who would want a button that could bring hell down on yourself and your friends?

EEz28
04-14-12, 01:30 PM
A long, long time ago I had read something when this was sitting in unreleased hell that said basically "do not read anything about this movie." So as such, I saw it this morning without reading anything or even seeing the trailer. I would always either mute it at home or turn my head away if it appeared in public somewhere. Doing this was a great decision and it's been the first time and a very very long time where I saw something I knew pretty much nothing about. This movie was a blast. Loved it all the way through and am definitely buying this first day on BR.

maxfisher
04-14-12, 01:55 PM

Meh, maybe the elder gods instructed that it be there in exchange for their accepting the sacrifices.

NIMH Rat
04-14-12, 03:18 PM
I was actually thinking about that exact same thing while getting my lunch ready. Who would want a button that could bring hell down on yourself and your friends?

This was a problem for me too. The other problem was, it looked to me like Shaggy (as we are calling him) took a pretty hard knife-throw to the back, and yet showed up later, unharmed. Did I see that wrong, or miss some exposition how he could have survived that?

Had a great time at the movie otherwise. Whedon and Goddard are nowhere in the league of Wes Craven but they had a good idea and followed it through.

All movies should be at the minimum, this good. It's a treat to see a clever idea carried through, where you're not always sure what's coming next. You know....originality and suspense! They still exist!

Why So Blu?
04-14-12, 04:14 PM
This was a problem for me too. The other problem was, it looked to me like Shaggy (as we are calling him) took a pretty hard knife-throw to the back, and yet showed up later, unharmed. Did I see that wrong, or miss some exposition how he could have survived that?

Had a great time at the movie otherwise. Whedon and Goddard are nowhere in the league of Wes Craven but they had a good idea and followed it through.
All movies should be at the minimum, this good. It's a treat to see a clever idea carried through, where you're not always sure what's coming next. You know....originality and suspense! They still exist!

Depends on what era Craven you are talking about. My Soul To Take? The Cursed? Garbage.

Troy Stiffler
04-14-12, 04:36 PM
I enjoyed it a lot. I was trying to figure out it's angle for the first 1/3. I had a bunch of different ideas about where it would go. But I didn't guess where it did go.

With the trailer, I initially expected the 'underground' guys to be something like a satrical corporation coming up with movie and video game ideas, or something like that. And then I thought maybe the "guy downstairs" was some meglomaniac who gets kicks out of the terror. I also was thinking that the creatures were going to be staff in makeup, not real monsters.

This movie is going to be as rewatchable as The Big Lebowski. It's quick, fun, constantly witty and very likeable.

Osiris3657
04-14-12, 05:27 PM
Wow, this movie is awesome! Loved it. Haven't enjoyed a horror movie this much in years. Thought it was funny and incredibly clever.

My only issue is this: at one point Marty had a knife thrown into his back. There's no question about that. Once he shows up again to rescue Dana, it's like he had never been injured

dsa_shea
04-14-12, 06:16 PM
So this is a horror movie that pokes fun at the rules and cliches of horror but yet fails to follow its own rules as they allowed Shaggy to clearly survive seemingly unscathed from a mortal injury.

arminius
04-14-12, 06:34 PM
So this is a horror movie that pokes fun at the rules and cliches of horror but yet fails to follow its own rules as they allowed Shaggy to clearly survive seemingly unscathed from a mortal injury.

It was just a flesh wound.

FinkPish
04-14-12, 06:48 PM
Several people got the bear trap in the back and were running around later like nothing happened. Dana got the shit kicked out of her by the giant guy at the dock by the lake and was running around later like nothing happened.

I don't see the big deal about the knife in the back.

Greg MacGuffin
04-14-12, 06:54 PM
Went to see it last night and loved it. I was kind of skeptical, especially after hearing comparisons to the Scream movies (which suck). I tend to dislike horror movies that are "clever." But this one kicked all sorts of ass and managed to be both smart and fun.

I figured it out pretty quickly (all the talk of "upstairs" and "downstairs" made it pretty clear) but still enjoyed the ride. I think it's going to end up changing the genre in a lot of ways. I'll certainly have a tough time watching horror movies in the future without comparing it to this.

Osiris3657
04-14-12, 07:19 PM
It was just a flesh wound.

Ha! Half of that 12 inch blade was in his back.

NIMH Rat
04-14-12, 07:39 PM
Depends on what era Craven you are talking about. My Soul To Take? The Cursed? Garbage.

Well he made Deadly Friend and Hills Have Eyes II and Vampire in Brooklyn during his "peak" eras so I don't think his filmography breaks down that easily.

What I mean to say is that Scream is far superior to Cabin in the Woods as a genre-bending horror film, but Cabin is a pretty awesome little thriller.

TGM
04-14-12, 09:49 PM
My spoiler-free thoughts on Cabin in the Woods? During the first 45 minutes I was marginally entertained, perhaps even leaning towards disappointed... then about 1/2 way through it shifts gears, kicks you in the teeth, twists your nipples, and rapes your third input without the benefit of lube. Good times.

dsa_shea
04-14-12, 11:58 PM
. I think it's going to end up changing the genre in a lot of ways. I'll certainly have a tough time watching horror movies in the future without comparing it to this.

I'm not sure how that is going to happen. Are we going to start seeing more "horror" movies trying to be smart and outwit us? Also, I see this as much of a horror movie as Return of the Living Dead which does kick all sorts of ass but doesn't come to mind first when I think of horror.

Dean Kousoulas
04-15-12, 01:55 AM
My one complaint was that I wish they didn't involve the shot of the eagle flying into the force field as the kids were heading to the cabin. It would have made Thor crashing into it on the bike the biggest laugh of the movie.

joliom
04-15-12, 02:11 AM
Went to see it last night and loved it. I was kind of skeptical, especially after hearing comparisons to the Scream movies (which suck). I tend to dislike horror movies that are "clever." But this one kicked all sorts of ass and managed to be both smart and fun.

I figured it out pretty quickly (all the talk of "upstairs" and "downstairs" made it pretty clear) but still enjoyed the ride. I think it's going to end up changing the genre in a lot of ways. I'll certainly have a tough time watching horror movies in the future without comparing it to this.

Scream had all these self-aware characters voicing a running commentary about slasher movie cliches at every spare moment. In that sense it kept pushing up against the fourth wall. This movie is more like Cabin Fever in that it actively spoofs the genre, but without any of the characters being in on it. Scream was like the characters were winking at the audience, and with Cabin in the Woods, it's purely a dialog between the filmmakers and the audience.

Lara Means
04-15-12, 02:34 AM
Im a big Angel/Buffy fan and i found this movie to be extremely entertaining. Seeing Amy Acker put a big fucking grin on my face. It reminded me how cute she was as Fred. She also looks like she hasnt aged a day since Angel's final season. See this movie.

SethDLH
04-15-12, 03:39 AM
I have no opinion on Joss Whedon or his crew and I thought this was very entertaining. My theater experience was something... special? The audio dropped out for a second at a time fairly often and then happened for 30 seconds to a minute 4-5 times so I can't say I heard every line of dialogue but I certainly didn't miss anything critical to the story. It did bring the crowd together a bit in that we all started cheering or laughing together when something cool happend. Everything about the movie worked to be entertaining... Yes, it ripped off The Evil Dead for a bit and then Cube for a shorter bit but it worked in making it it's own. The last 1/3 of the film was just fucking insane in a great way. I honestly wish we got that craziness expanded upon a bit during the main bit of the film.

All in all an entertaining watch that I'd recommend, and look forward to seeing on Blu for a full audio and crisper video experience (something about the theater's lighting didn't mesh well with the movie). Plus we all got free passes to a future movie for our troubles thanks to a management team that actually had their shit together with handling a problem.

Why So Blu?
04-15-12, 04:48 AM
My one complaint was that I wish they didn't involve the shot of the eagle flying into the force field as the kids were heading to the cabin. It would have made Thor crashing into it on the bike the biggest laugh of the movie.

I thought the same, but people still laughed out loud when Thor smashed into the wall.

celmendo
04-15-12, 10:12 AM
really loved it and had a blast. My theater had it cranked up so freakin loud and I jumped and screamed several times even though it was clear that something was going to happen. I'm def. going again because people were talking and I was distracted during most of the beginning before the opening title. Def. buying this.

glassdragon
04-15-12, 11:43 AM
I thought the same, but people still laughed out loud when Thor smashed into the wall.

For a split second when it goes in slow mo you're like "He's going to make it, he's going to ma..... nevermind"

Troy Stiffler
04-15-12, 12:04 PM
For a split second when it goes in slow mo you're like "He's going to make it, he's going to ma..... nevermind"

That was a hilarious gag as soon as he said 'I'm going to jump it'. I giggled for the next minute during the setup and execution, because he was so sure of himself.

TGM
04-15-12, 12:17 PM
I thought the jump scene held no tension whatsoever, since they already showed the eagle getting zapped by the force field.

Why So Blu?
04-15-12, 12:33 PM
I thought the jump scene held no tension whatsoever, since they already showed the eagle getting zapped by the force field.

True, but that's the whole point. The audience has been in on the gag since the film started, it's our poor heroes that are not.

In retrospect, that's a frightening thought!

Pizza
04-15-12, 01:18 PM
True, but that's the whole point. The audience has been in on the gag since the film started, it's our poor heroes that are not.

In retrospect, that's a frightening thought!

I agree. And, all honesty, I had forgotten about the force field. It made the scene funnier for me that way.
I almost wish they had set up the movie a little differently, without a hint of the underground lab until much later in the movie. Plus, I kept wondering about Thor's brother that "owned" the cabin. I didn't get that side of it on how they tricked him about the cabin.
The one thing I did enjoy about the whole movie is how it felt like a series finale for Buffy but without Buffy in it to save the day.

dsa_shea
04-15-12, 01:43 PM
I agree. And, all honesty, I had forgotten about the force field. It made the scene funnier for me that way.
I almost wish they had set up the movie a little differently, without a hint of the underground lab until much later in the movie. Plus, I kept wondering about Thor's brother that "owned" the cabin. I didn't get that side of it on how they tricked him about the cabin.
The one thing I did enjoy about the whole movie is how it felt like a series finale for Buffy but without Buffy in it to save the day.

It surprised the shit to see them reveal the setup right out of the gate.

Why So Blu?
04-15-12, 02:26 PM
Looks like Three Stooges beat Cabin in the Woods at the box office.

I weep for humanity.

/facepalm

dsa_shea
04-15-12, 02:59 PM
Looks like Three Stooges beat Cabin in the Woods at the box office.

I weep for humanity.

/facepalm

I saw Cabin in the Woods with my wife and daughter on Friday and then I took my daughter to see Stooges on Saturday. We liked both of them but I have to say that we had a better time watching Stooges.

glassdragon
04-15-12, 05:10 PM
I like how everyone just calls Hemsworth "Thor" whenever they mention the character. I'm sure that won't be a typecast for him :P

And on another note, that coffee mug in this movie was AMAZING

Mazje
04-15-12, 07:00 PM
I like how everyone just calls Hemsworth "Thor" whenever they mention the character. I'm sure that won't be a typecast for him :P

And on another note, that coffee mug in this movie was AMAZING

Joking or was there something funny about the coffee mug?

Also, my only complaint is that the giant evil god hand at the end should have been a tentacle or something less human.

TGM
04-15-12, 07:35 PM
no comment about the obvious ode to Hellraiser/Pinhead?

CaptainMarvel
04-15-12, 08:08 PM

The giant collapsible bong/coffee mug that was also used as a weapon against the zombies?

mdc3000
04-15-12, 08:08 PM

I think he means the travel mug/collapsable bong.

I thought the dramatic irony made the scene even funnier - he gives this big speech, the whole time we know there is no way in hell he's going to make it - and then for a second it seems like there is a small chance....and then, nope.

Mazje
04-15-12, 08:35 PM
The giant collapsible bong/coffee mug that was also used as a weapon against the zombies?

Gotcha. I was thinking you meant a mug that one of the guys in the control center had.

Why So Blu?
04-15-12, 08:56 PM
no comment about the obvious ode to Hellraiser/Pinhead?

Yep, along with the Evil Dead homage.

bluetoast
04-15-12, 09:06 PM
I really enjoyed this. I don't watch too many horror movies, but in December I kept hearing how this one was something you had to see. Also it was good to see Trayvon from The Shield in a movie.

One question though: I thought everybody was locked in their rooms, so how was Thor knocking on the door to the glasses guy's room? Unless he was the only one who didn't get locked in.

dugan
04-15-12, 09:32 PM
The monsters taking out the SWAT team twist would have have worked better if it wasn't already done in so many videogames, most notably Dead Space 2

ruddiger_718
04-15-12, 09:42 PM
One question though: I thought everybody was locked in their rooms, so how was Thor knocking on the door to the glasses guy's room? Unless he was the only one who didn't get locked in.

Yea, Thor ran to the front door to stop whoever was trying to come in, while the other three were locked in.

I answer that confidently because I've seen the film three times in the past three days. I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing it next week as well. I sincerely hope that this film has legs, and I will probably pay for this movie, no matter what film I see, as long as it is in theaters. Studios need to know that found footage horror has got to stop.

When it comes to Thor jumping the gap, I was good knowing beforehand, my audience was laughing through-out his hero speech, because everyone knew where it was going, and laughed harder when it hit.

Whitford and Jenkins were brilliant together, and loved their chemistry. I don't hope, or want a prequel to this one, but if it was made, I would only come back, if those two came back.

I thought this would have been a great if this was a pilot, or a finale to a new HBO horror anthology show. Something like a new Tales From the Crypt, but started by Joss, but then I'd never have the chance to go crazy with a big audience once the big red button was hit, and the shit hit the fan. Absolutely loved it, favorite of the year so far, first day blu. Great love letter to horror.

EEz28
04-15-12, 10:15 PM
The monsters taking out the SWAT team twist would have have worked better if it wasn't already done in so many videogames, most notably Dead Space 2

But that was only necromorphs. They weren't killed by awesome shit, like most of these listed (http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/6553/original/theboard.jpg?1334414264)

glassdragon
04-15-12, 10:48 PM
Gotcha. I was thinking you meant a mug that one of the guys in the control center had.

ahhh yeah, the bong mug. That was pretty damn cool

Everyone in the theater lost it at

You had zombies, those were not zombies. That was Zombie redneck torture family

bluetoast
04-15-12, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the clarification ruddiger. Also I was reminded of (and another review mentioned) Men in Black (with the multiple aliens in disguise cameras), in terms of wanting to freeze the movie and read/watch stuff.

Also for a second, with the huge elevator reveal, I was on the verge of thinking that every horror movie that we've seen was actually part of this experiment. Maybe that's a bit too out there!

glassdragon
04-15-12, 11:02 PM
But that was only necromorphs. They weren't killed by awesome shit, like most of these listed (http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/6553/original/theboard.jpg?1334414264)

Did you read through all of those? Went so quick i missed alot in the movie

Deadites (evil dead)
Kevin (wtf, Probably Jason, but they don't have the rights to the name)
Angry Molesting tree (The opposite of The Giving Tree? The Giving tree giveth and the Molesting tree taketh.. Your virginity)
Dismemberment Goblins

Also loved

How the guy who wanted Mermen got killed by a Merman

All said, I loved this movie, and will be pre-ordering it the second it hits at amazon.

CKMorpheus
04-15-12, 11:09 PM
Plus, I kept wondering about Thor's brother that "owned" the cabin. I didn't get that side of it on how they tricked him about the cabin.

It was suggested in several moments that this organization had been playing them for a while.

The drugs in the hair dye, the tainting of the weed, and most importantly at the end when the "virgin girl" said "I don't even think Thor has a cousin."

I can't wait to see this movie again. Such a thrill!

glassdragon
04-15-12, 11:17 PM
Yeah, i'm so down when this hits blu-ray. I kind of wish they would have done 3d on this too like they were going to, those mythological creatures in 3d would have looked good

CKMorpheus
04-16-12, 12:27 AM
Just saw this (dropbox.com/sh/hatgnwoqz71zc4k/Jnq5lV9VbN/Screen%20Shot%202012-04-16%20at%2012.09.01%20AM.png) on my Facebook wall... My friend (the original poster) is essentially the Snookie of my Facebook friends and she just proved it....

dino88
04-16-12, 01:07 AM
Just saw this (dropbox.com/sh/hatgnwoqz71zc4k/Jnq5lV9VbN/Screen%20Shot%202012-04-16%20at%2012.09.01%20AM.png) on my Facebook wall... My friend (the original poster) is essentially the Snookie of my Facebook friends and she just proved it....

I'm hoping you're only friends with those people as some sort of sacrifice to save the human race.

d2cheer
04-16-12, 09:53 AM
My only issue is this: at one point Marty had a knife thrown into his back. There's no question about that. Once he shows up again to rescue Dana, it's like he had never been injured

That was mine as well, but they did have an off-handl line about how the stuff they put in his weed is not affecting him. So maybe that is the explanation.

I liked it overall but had a couple of issues with the pacing at the beginning and the choice of the killers. I know that there had to be the setup and such but it seemed to me they could have tightened it up a bit.

Granted this movie was made in 2009 but zombies have been done to death recently.

celmendo
04-16-12, 11:01 AM

I was more upset that every commercial ruined the fact that Fran (stoner boy) didn't die. And don't whine about spoilers. It's in every commercial and the thread title says spoilers.

csant
04-16-12, 11:09 AM
I loved this movie as well.

I totally had forgotten about Fran till the "people from up stairs" called on the red phone.

I loved this movied, can't wait till the blu-ray comes out.

JayDerek
04-16-12, 12:09 PM
I really hope this comes out on blu-ray this summer...SO very anxious for it.

What does everyone thing the 'glitch in 1998' was referring to? The glut of the self aware films that Scream created?

Larry C.
04-16-12, 12:31 PM
Saw it on Saturday and had a blast. I had avoided spoilers and cast in this like the plague so Richard Jenkins was a total surprise and I was so excited he was in the movie it probably made me like it more that what it would have been without him.

Also I wish they wouldn't have gone with the Zombie theme. The trio of people with the baby doll masks looked much cooler and more menacing.

starseed1981
04-16-12, 12:38 PM
Loved it. My second favorite film of the year so far.

JayDerek
04-16-12, 01:46 PM
Also I wish they wouldn't have gone with the Zombie theme. The trio of people with the baby doll masks looked much cooler and more menacing.

I think that was part of the point...everyone in the control room thought the same thing - it was part of the commentary that these guys are overdone in horror currently

glassdragon
04-16-12, 02:05 PM
I think that was part of the point...everyone in the control room thought the same thing - it was part of the commentary that these guys are overdone in horror currently

I agree with this

The whole "Dammit, not them again, I was really hoping for Mermen this time"

joeblow69
04-16-12, 02:26 PM
here's one part I didn't really understand. Early on in the movie, the guys in the control room were talking about how the kids were going to be "tested" down in the cellar, and there was a chance they'd wouldn't be hurt, depending on what they did. Turns out the test was just whether or not they picked up crap? I was expecting something more along the line of "they stole something, so now they are getting what they deserve". Was the control room guy just saying that to make himself feel better about the situation?

ruddiger_718
04-16-12, 02:53 PM
Pretty much, they mention that with the gas station as well. Free will... ish.

boogieman03
04-16-12, 04:17 PM
Had a lot of fun with this movie. Totally felt like a Buffy/Angel episode and I damn near yelled out "Fred!" when Amy Acker appeared on screen.

gp1086
04-16-12, 04:35 PM
Movie was ok in my opinion. Not as great as some of the hype it has gotten. The ending was definitely "out there" as others described and certainly not something I saw coming, but nothing jaw dropping to the likes of some of my favorite twist endings. Maybe I was expecting too much in this sense. My Mom actually called me the day before and told me that her, my father, and grandparents thought this was one of the worst movies they've ever seen (LOL - to each their own).

Larry C.
04-16-12, 05:28 PM
here's one part I didn't really understand. Early on in the movie, the guys in the control room were talking about how the kids were going to be "tested" down in the cellar, and there was a chance they'd wouldn't be hurt, depending on what they did. Turns out the test was just whether or not they picked up crap? I was expecting something more along the line of "they stole something, so now they are getting what they deserve". Was the control room guy just saying that to make himself feel better about the situation?

How about if they wouldn't have touch a thing?

Jules Winfield
04-16-12, 06:10 PM
Great movie! Don't know too many people that I would recommend this to personally. But for a Horror movie fan, it is damn good. Love the unicorn!

Jules Winfield
04-16-12, 06:10 PM

What he said.

slop101
04-16-12, 06:17 PM
I loved this movie, not just because it was balls-out entertaining, but because it actually had something to say - imagine that!

Basically, I see the heroes of the movie being the Whitford and Jenkins characters, not the college kids going to the cabin. I also see those two as stand-ins for Whedon and Goddard, pulling levers and manipulating shit for the benefit of "the Gods", or in other words, us, their audience. The giant hand being us, pissed off at not getting the standard story we wanted.

And it's freaking brilliant that when the victims (who are hilarious as they morph in to their "roles") see things that are "off" or not as they should be, they pick at them until everything's destroyed.

What they're doing here is also making a comment that pulling too hard on loose threads will make them unravel. Which explains this:
My only concern with the ending was the massive "Purge" button she used to unleash all those monsters. It what other scenario would a button like that be useful?It explains that you shouldn't nit-pick at such contrived elements (especially ones that lead to such a fantastic sequences), and doing so can lead to the collapse of what you've built for the audience. Don't be too aware! Marty's self-awareness ruined the whole thing! Just sit back and have fun!

So much great stuff in it like this! Such as Whitford's character waiting for the reveal of the boobies, and as I'm judging his character for being a perv, I realize that, holy shit, I'm waiting for the boobies too! They totally fucking got me!

I could go on and on, but the best thing was that none of this extra commentary or different layers of "meta-ness" was ever heavy-handed or bogged down the movie at all; it all worked with story.

I'm stunned that this movie stayed on the shelf for more than a year!

Greg MacGuffin
04-16-12, 08:26 PM

Then they would have survived. Throughout the movie, there are similar scenarios playing out all over the world. In Japan, for example, we saw the school children defeat the evil spirit. I got the impression that there were multiple sacrifices taking place, but it was only necessary for one of them to work.

LiquidSky
04-16-12, 08:28 PM
Saw the film this afternoon and loved it! My friend and I had a blast. Was fun to see Amy Acker again. I'm a big Buffy/Angel fan.

LiquidSky
04-16-12, 08:33 PM
However, I have come to the conclusion that Amy Acker must be made my girlfriend.

I have a gay man's crush on her. :)

LiquidSky
04-16-12, 08:41 PM
Yep, along with the Evil Dead homage.

The one zombie gal in a slip reminded me of the original NOTLD.

joeblow69
04-16-12, 09:12 PM
Then they would have survived. Throughout the movie, there are similar scenarios playing out all over the world. In Japan, for example, we saw the school children defeat the evil spirit. I got the impression that there were multiple sacrifices taking place, but it was only necessary for one of them to work.
Which reminds me, at the end of the movie, the director said they had to have 5 people involved, the whore, jock, scholar, fool and virgin. How would the japanese children filled those roles?

collector_cliff
04-16-12, 09:14 PM
could someone spoilerize all the homages?

IMDB has a list of what was written on the board, what movie they may be a reference to and which dept. within the company bet on which monster:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259521/faq

Deadites (evil dead)
Kevin (wtf, Probably Jason, but they don't have the rights to the name)
Angry Molesting tree (The opposite of The Giving Tree? The Giving tree giveth and the Molesting tree taketh.. Your virginity)
Dismemberment Goblins

"Angry Molesting Tree" suppose to be more of an Evil Dead reference. The cabin it self is a copy of the cabin from Evil Dead (as well as the celler).

Could anyone make out what the Intern (Tom Lenk) had written on the notepad toward the end?

via iMdb:
Trapped in a closet
Dragonbat has my scent
Send help!

kstublen
04-16-12, 09:34 PM
Which reminds me, at the end of the movie, the director said they had to have 5 people involved, the whore, jock, scholar, fool and virgin. How would the japanese children filled those roles?

I think that was just what the American division needed. They made a comment at some point in the movie about how each culture is different. In American Horror there's usually those five stereotypes, whereas in Japanese Horror it's more often than not school children. Or at least that's what I got from what we saw.

via iMdb:
Trapped in a closet
Dragonbat has my scent
Send help!

Thanks!

slop101
04-16-12, 10:29 PM
I think that was just what the American division needed. They made a comment at some point in the movie about how each culture is different. In American Horror there's usually those five stereotypes, whereas in Japanese Horror it's more often than not school children. Or at least that's what I got from what we saw.It's about old traditions and how they've evolved through the years in each culture. For Japan they mentioned something about Shinto spirits - which is where those Japanese school-girl-ghost have evolved from. They even went all the way back, with the line about throwing a girl into a volcano to please an audience, suggesting that's the roots of where this comes from.

I also like the little discussion about how Whitford/Jenkins used to be more creative but had settled into just churning out what their "audience" wanted.

bluetoast
04-16-12, 10:37 PM
I liked that they acknowledge multiple divisions of the department and their collective betting: Engineering, IT, Story, Electrical, Chemical, all that stuff. Definitely made it seem like a team effort...albeit a fucked up one. Reminds me of The Truman Show in that sense.

It also reminded me of this Hotel I visited right after Halloween. In the lobby there was a display of pumpkins that each department decorated: Maintenance, Food Services, Hospitality, Engineering, and a few others.

All of them were pretty good carvings. But of course the Engineering one had to have that plus a working waterfall in it. :lol:

slop101
04-16-12, 10:49 PM
I liked that they acknowledge multiple divisions of the department and their collective betting: Engineering, IT, Story, Electrical, Chemical, all that stuff. Definitely made it seem like a team effort...albeit a fucked up one.
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/783/whiteboard.jpg

bluetoast
04-16-12, 10:50 PM
Yeah that's what I mean, team effort. Except for that intern. It would be kind of cool to see some of the unseen ones in action. Damn now it's starting to remind me of The Hunger Games.

CaptainMarvel
04-16-12, 10:55 PM
Eh, the zombie family were about as much zombies as Jason Vorhees is. Technically they are since they're undead, but they 1) can't be killed by destroying the brain, 2) aren't flesh eaters, 3) don't infect their victims, & 4) use tools and weapons. If they were meant as commentary on zombie films, they were a poor choice. The whole conversation about the difference between "zombies" and "zombie redneck torture family" undercuts that argument to me.

Why So Blu?
04-17-12, 12:59 AM
Eh, the zombie family were about as much zombies as Jason Vorhees is. Technically they are since they're undead, but they 1) can't be killed by destroying the brain, 2) aren't flesh eaters, 3) don't infect their victims, & 4) use tools and weapons. If they were meant as commentary on zombie films, they were a poor choice. The whole conversation about the difference between "zombies" and "zombie redneck torture family" undercuts that argument to me.

They were pretty self contained though. Once you get to the factory then you see the real zombies.

The torture family just happened to be zombies that loved to be tortured when they were alive.

Don't think they were offering commentary on zombies at all.

spainlinx0
04-17-12, 01:48 AM
One thing I'm not quite sure of. Did the people running the show create the monsters in the lab, or were they captured in the wild?

DonnachaOne
04-17-12, 04:49 AM
One thing I'm not quite sure of. Did the people running the show create the monsters in the lab, or were they captured in the wild?

"They're what nightmares are from". It was explained that all those monsters were remnants from when the Giant Evil Gods ruled; in the case of the Buckners, I'd assume they started out human circa 1903, but used black magic from when the Giant Evil Gods were about, so the explanation is still intellectually sound.

I appreciate the defined pic of the whiteboard that slop101 posted. I made my own for my facebook page:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1597/screenshot20120417at347.png

maxfisher
04-17-12, 07:35 AM

I took it as each specific object had some ritual action associated with it, and if they didn't perform any of those, they'd be fine. For instance, one of them had to read the diary, put on the necklace, solve the puzzle cube, etc.

sharkstank
04-17-12, 09:13 AM
That is awesome DonnachaOne. Make me one! haha

spainlinx0
04-17-12, 09:16 AM
"They're what nightmares are from". It was explained that all those monsters were remnants from when the Giant Evil Gods ruled; in the case of the Buckners, I'd assume they started out human circa 1903, but used black magic from when the Giant Evil Gods were about, so the explanation is still intellectually sound.

I appreciate the defined pic of the whiteboard that slop101 posted. I made my own for my facebook page:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1597/screenshot20120417at347.png

I was pretty sure that was the case before asking. However one of my friends came back and was saying how stupid it was, and he didn't want to see a science fiction movie, and that he hated how they created all these monsters. I wanted to correct him, but then I started doubting myself. Thanks for that.

Julie Walker
04-18-12, 01:21 AM
I saw this tonight and thought it was pretty good, but not great. I do wish I had not seen any of the trailers or tv spots in the past since it would've made it even more surprising. Then again, had I not known it would be more of a comedy, I may have been frustrated with it. Much like what happened when I saw Cabin Fever way back when and thought the teaser trailer made that look extremely scary.

So knowing a tiny bit of the 'twist' was good, since it made it more surprising how things turned out. Since as another person said, I wasn't expecting 'real monsters' to be in the film and all, and figured there would be a 'gotcha' moment at the end where it's all a ruse for whatever reason this underground/secret lab does what it does.

Since I heard various people didn't like the ending of the film. I was preparing for the worst and fearing it might end anytime as a 'clever' jab at the audience just to piss them off.

The "Keep On Rolling" sequence is where I thought it was about to cut to the credits as a 'haha gotcha' moment where the story ends, and I was going to be really upset if this where the ending of the film and feel disappointed thinking "That's it? What a waste!". But then I remembered, there were bits in the trailer/tv spots that hadn't happened yet like the entire elevator/secret passage looking stuff.

And it was this section that really floored me as things became totally insane, and it was fun fun fun. Though even for the very ending, I was expecting something to happen again in a 'gotcha' moment that may make me hate or love the film.

I almost thought Dana would turn into a werewolf at the end and kill the stoner dude, and save the world as a really fucked up twist. Or that she would kill him somehow at the last moment. Plenty of films would have gone there I'm sure. Or I thought maybe both of them would get killed to save the world and end on a somewhat philosophical moment to appear 'deep'.
But the way they went with the ending I thought was perfect, and I usually don't like the killing the entire cast off finale. If the stakes weren't as high as they were in the film, then ya want at least one person to make it. But far to many films end on a 'one last fright' moment to show the survivor is going to die soon since the evil still lurks, or they do die onscreen to end on a down note and makes the entire film pointless basically. And that's so overplayed and has ruined various films for myself, like The Crazies remake which was okay, but that very final 'one last surprise/shock' moment showing 'it's not over' really ruined it for myself.
But this ending worked in my opinion despite everyone dying. It did it on an epic scale though and went far beyond the main cast being killed,lol...but it worked and it wasn't depressing either, which is a plus.

So it's not the greatest film ever as some make it out to be. But it was different, and the shit hits the fan finale was truly fun stuff. So I am glad I saw it in theaters, and the audience appeared to be having fun with the film as well.

boredsilly
04-18-12, 08:38 AM
I really didn't care for Dana and Shaggy getting to decide the fate of the human race. Fuck them. I actually was siding with the people trying to sacrifice them -- as fucked up as that may sound. Who is this someone else that gets a turn? The gods of olympus? Nah kid, y'all have got to die. -wink-

As far as post modern/meta horror movies go, this was neat, but it doesn't give me a whole lot to think about. It might be a bit more like scream, but with a fraction of the budget Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is my favorite horror movie of this type. If you have netflix, you owe it to yourself to watch it. Especially if you're a fan of slashers.

sharkstank
04-18-12, 11:40 PM
As far as post modern/meta horror movies go, this was neat, but it doesn't give me a whole lot to think about. It might be a bit more like scream, but with a fraction of the budget Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is my favorite horror movie of this type. If you have netflix, you owe it to yourself to watch it. Especially if you're a fan of slashers.

Behind the Mask is definitely worth checking out. That was a great movie.

slop101
04-19-12, 12:16 AM
I really didn't care for Dana and Shaggy getting to decide the fate of the human race. Fuck them. I actually was siding with the people trying to sacrifice them -- as fucked up as that may sound.Why would that be fucked up? Like I said, the "company" is actually supposed to be the hero. The title card pretty much made that obvious as well.

riotinmyskull
04-19-12, 08:40 AM
saw this yesterday and thought it was a great. about 3/4's of the way in i was thinking "this is clever and fun but i'm going to need something to push this over the edge to make it REALLY good" and....well...it happened. ahope this gets released before october 1st because i'd like to make this the first film i watch for the october challenge this year.

TGM
04-19-12, 08:59 AM
I do think it would have been creepier/better if the corporation was doing it purely for profit, and to satiate the blood lust of sadistic rich businessmen ala Hostel.

boredsilly
04-19-12, 09:48 AM
Why would that be fucked up? Like I said, the "company" is actually supposed to be the hero. The title card pretty much made that obvious as well.

See, I don't see it that way. I think the corporation is set up to be organized to do good, but have become a bit clouded to their doings. I feel like the soldier who questioned everything, and was clearly a "good guy" showed how the corporation was portrayed as having maybe lost their way. Maybe it's as simple as them having lost their way in not respecting the lives they take. Even if they said it was setup to let off steam.

And yet, I still pulled for them.

riley_dude
04-19-12, 12:37 PM
I guess Cinemascore exit reviews are not so good because teens didn't think it was scary enough.
I loved it.

Goat3001
04-19-12, 01:14 PM
See, I don't see it that way. I think the corporation is set up to be organized to do good, but have become a bit clouded to their doings. I feel like the soldier who questioned everything, and was clearly a "good guy" showed how the corporation was portrayed as having maybe lost their way. Maybe it's as simple as them having lost their way in not respecting the lives they take. Even if they said it was setup to let off steam.

I agree with this. The guard was the only wholly good character in the movie. The company was doing the right thing but was flawed in their mindset. The kids got put into a unfortunate situation but their resolution to it was flawed.

The guard was the only one that wanted the right thing done but also saw the necessary evil aspect of it.

gp1086
04-19-12, 01:39 PM
From IMDB:

Immediately after an early preview screening with fan Q&A, the first question Director Drew Goddard was asked was, "Will there be a sequel?" To which he responded, "Have you seen the ending to my movie?"

slop101
04-19-12, 02:42 PM
^ I would've come back with "Okay, so how about a prequel?"

boredsilly
04-19-12, 04:29 PM
Oh, I would love to see a "through the years" prequel that showed how the corporation got to where it got. Shit, even a book would be cool. Even if done in the played out mockumentary style.

"Salem witch trials? Yeah that was us."

Giantrobo
04-19-12, 05:53 PM
Wow...the wife and I LOVED this movie. :up:

I loved the whole twist and the reasoning for it.

Giantrobo
04-19-12, 06:10 PM

And yet, I still pulled for them.

The worldwide corporation...for lack of better word were never off in what they do. The people in it however...jenkins and his partner and the guys looking for boob shots...were the ones who had lost perspective.

I was fascinated by the worldwide aspect of the project. I mean wow.

slop101
04-19-12, 06:35 PM
The worldwide corporation...for lack of better word were never off in what they do. The people in it however...jenkins and his partner and the guys looking for boob shots...were the ones who had lost perspective. No, their perspective is crystal clear - they're looking for the boob-shot because WE (the audience, AKA: The Old Gods) are looking for the boob-shot. They're doing everything in service to us/them so they can ultimately survive.

Giantrobo
04-19-12, 06:52 PM
No, their perspective is crystal clear - they're looking for the boob-shot because WE (the audience, AKA: The Old Gods) are looking for the boob-shot. They're doing everything in service to us/them so they can ultimately survive.

Yeah, Get that. I get that from the genre bender POV. But I still think from the film POV, they lost perspective. But don't get me wrong, I believe the Corporation was "GOOD" and the "HERO".

Supermallet
04-20-12, 01:37 AM
I loved this movie, not just because it was balls-out entertaining, but because it actually had something to say - imagine that!

Basically, I see the heroes of the movie being the Whitford and Jenkins characters, not the college kids going to the cabin. I also see those two as stand-ins for Whedon and Goddard, pulling levers and manipulating shit for the benefit of "the Gods", or in other words, us, their audience. The giant hand being us, pissed off at not getting the standard story we wanted.

And it's freaking brilliant that when the victims (who are hilarious as they morph in to their "roles") see things that are "off" or not as they should be, they pick at them until everything's destroyed.

What they're doing here is also making a comment that pulling too hard on loose threads will make them unravel. Which explains this:
It explains that you shouldn't nit-pick at such contrived elements (especially ones that lead to such a fantastic sequences), and doing so can lead to the collapse of what you've built for the audience. Don't be too aware! Marty's self-awareness ruined the whole thing! Just sit back and have fun!

So much great stuff in it like this! Such as Whitford's character waiting for the reveal of the boobies, and as I'm judging his character for being a perv, I realize that, holy shit, I'm waiting for the boobies too! They totally fucking got me!

I could go on and on, but the best thing was that none of this extra commentary or different layers of "meta-ness" was ever heavy-handed or bogged down the movie at all; it all worked with story.

I'm stunned that this movie stayed on the shelf for more than a year!

I agree completely. The movie wasn't just a blast, it was a blast with some meat on its bones. I loved every minute. Richard Jenkins screaming "FUCK YOU" at the 9-year old Japanese girls had me dying of laughter. This should be a kick in the balls to anyone even considering making a standard slasher flick.

^ I would've come back with "Okay, so how about a prequel?"

What would the point be? It would just be, well, a standard slasher flick.

bluetoast
04-20-12, 10:44 AM
Okay then how about a sequel with those Gods that hopefully would be better than Wrath of the Titans. Or like someone said, go back hundreds of years and show how this organization has been behind the Witch Trials, or other big events.

Maybe the international teams are all competing in the 1880's, and then England comes up with Jack the Ripper and all the other countries are like "You motherfuckers, how the hell are we going to top that?"

slop101
04-20-12, 11:26 AM
What would the point be? It would just be, well, a standard slasher flick.Oh no, not at all. I would imagine it as a big story of how the "corporation" started and evolved throughout the years.

boredsilly
04-20-12, 11:59 AM
Maybe the international teams are all competing in the 1880's, and then England comes up with Jack the Ripper and all the other countries are like "You motherfuckers, how the hell are we going to top that?"

Drooling at the prospect. I would even take that in fanfic form, that's how bad I want it. -wink-

Draven
04-20-12, 12:01 PM
Richard Jenkins screaming "FUCK YOU" at the 9-year old Japanese girls had me dying of laughter.

In a movie full of funny parts, that was easily my favorite.

dsa_shea
04-20-12, 03:03 PM
They could definitely build a much deeper mythology with further stories and/or movies.

joefrog91
04-20-12, 03:11 PM
I loved it. I won't be able to watch another slasher film again without thinking about a group of people in a bunker controlling all the events going on.

Mike86
04-20-12, 06:48 PM
Saw it last night. Absolutely loved it, probably one of the best movies I've seen this year thus far. It was a fun ride with a pretty original twist which doesn't happen very often with horror movies.

joefrog91
04-20-12, 10:57 PM
Some stoner website is saying the collapsible bong was a $5K prototype. :lol:

I'm sure someone will put that into production and make a fortune.

PopcornBandit
04-21-12, 09:31 AM
I loved it. I won't be able to watch another slasher film again without thinking about a group of people in a bunker controlling all the events going on.

Pretty much this. Such a fantastic movie. I'm going to see it for the second time tonight!

"I don't think this thing takes credit cards."
"I don't think it knows what money is...it's barter gas."

I died laughing at that for some reason.

Supermallet
04-21-12, 03:24 PM
Oh no, not at all. I would imagine it as a big story of how the "corporation" started and evolved throughout the years.

Really? That sounds tedious to me, honestly.

Solid Snake
04-21-12, 03:38 PM
....yeah. It doesn't need anything. Everything you had to know you got. And it was great. It gave you what you needed.

Mike86
04-21-12, 03:58 PM
Yeah not every damn movie that's successful has to be branched off into a series. This movie was a fun time and doesn't need any prequels/sequels/spinoffs/whatever else. Just leave it as is in my opinion.

Strevlac
04-22-12, 12:12 AM
DVDtalk reactions never fail to amaze me. How do you people get so excited over something so marginal? I just saw it and the best I can say is that it's somewhat passable entertainment. A moderately clever germ of an idea expanded to feature film length, this movie is pretty much the definition of insignificant.

Something maybe worth streaming from netflix if you are bored out of your skull and have nothing better to do. But please don't believe the hype from threads like this.

Pointyskull
04-22-12, 12:13 AM
DVDtalk reactions never fail to amaze me. How do you people get so excited over something so marginal? I just saw it and the best I can say is that it's somewhat passable entertainment. A moderately clever germ of an idea expanded to feature film length, this movie is pretty much the definition of insignificant.

Something maybe worth streaming from netflix if you are bored out of your skull and have nothing better to do. But please don't believe the hype from threads like this.

:jawdrop:

This was one of THE most fun times I have had in a theater in years. Sorry you were 'bored out of your skull'.
Might I recommend 'The Three Stooges'....?

Troy Stiffler
04-22-12, 12:30 AM

Because you didn't connect with it, I take back what I said. This movie blows. Everyone on the bore train. Wooo wooo zzzzzzzzz.

Pointyskull
04-22-12, 12:39 AM
Because you didn't connect with it, I take back what I said. This movie blows. Everyone on the bore train. Wooo wooo zzzzzzzzz.

:lol:

bluetoast
04-22-12, 01:25 AM
Wait, a minute. People have different opinions from one another? Holy shit!

DthRdrX
04-22-12, 03:29 AM

This was one of THE most fun times I have had in a theater in years. Sorry you were 'bored out of your skull'.

Honestly, the random bits of comedy was the only thing I really liked about this one.

Strevlac
04-22-12, 10:45 AM

It doesn't surprise me that someone who thinks "This was one of THE most fun times I have had in a theater in years" (Jesus, really?) would have problems with reading comprehension.

To repeat, here is what I said:

"Something maybe worth streaming from netflix if you are bored out of your skull and have nothing better to do."

gp1086
04-22-12, 03:10 PM
I honestly think you will enjoy this movie a lot more if you watch lots of movies - especially horror. A lot of plot points, character cliches / satire, the different types of monsters (i.e. deadites), etc. resonate more with someone who has seen a lot compared to your average moviegoer. As I stated earlier, I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but didn't hate it. I appreciated some of the aspects a lot of others do. Don't think that would be the case if I went to the movies < 10x a year or something.

DonnachaOne
04-22-12, 03:51 PM
Sigh... people taken in by the Strevlac trolling again.

He/she just posts to be contrarian, guys.

Solid Snake
04-22-12, 04:14 PM
Why isn't he banned again? He needs Chris77 levels right? Maybe a side of wmlopez?

riley_dude
04-22-12, 05:10 PM
They should be handing out the collapsing bongs at every theater.

Charlie Goose
04-22-12, 06:05 PM

Plus, you'd think there would be an armed guard or locking mechanism on it.

Anyway, I absolutely loved it. Best movie of the year for me so far, and greatest horror flick in years.

Biggest laugh was watching the Japanese girls defeat the evil spirit and celebrate/ "FUCK YOU! How hard is it to kill 9 year olds?!?"

And of course, the Merman.

I know I might as well be sitting on a park bench talking to a squirrel, but I really wish posters would stop being dicks to other posters with differing opinions. I hate reading posts that are dripping with condescension, trying to out-snot the previous one.

CharlieK
04-22-12, 08:44 PM
Something I need some clarification on, forgive me if I missed it in this thread. If I remember right, the mountain tunnel didn't explode because of a technical glitch that was actually something someone 'upstairs' did seemingly on purpose. If the kids made it back through the tunnel, then there wouldn't be the sacrifices and the world would end. Who is 'upstairs' and why did they want this to happen?

MrSmearkase
04-22-12, 08:58 PM
/\ The stoner caused the tunnel malfunction.

joefrog91
04-22-12, 09:23 PM
They should be handing out the collapsing bongs at every theater.

Apparently, there is a movie promotional item that was given out somewhere.

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/cabin-in-the-woods-bong.jpg

joefrog91
04-22-12, 09:25 PM

I need to see the movie again, because this seemed like the answer, but I distinctly remember dialogue saying someone "upstairs" didn't want the tunnel blown up.

Supermallet
04-22-12, 09:43 PM
I think they meant literally upstairs, as in the room that the elevator dropped off the zombies in.

SuckaMC
04-22-12, 10:04 PM
Yeah, "upstairs" refers to the players. That was my understanding.

This movie was amazing!! Loved the operators. They played the "people assigned with a shitty job that have become numb and complacent" angle perfectly. There was so much to love. So glad I went into this knowing as little as I did. The finale was a perfect payoff.

One homage I haven't seen anyone mention is the bloody swat guy crawling away from the little girl. That was from the game F.E.A.R. I was surprised to see the video game references in there.
http://images.wikia.com/fear/images/3/36/Almadelta.jpg

I wanna see this again asap.

fuzzbox
04-23-12, 09:08 AM
Plus, you'd think there would be an armed guard or locking mechanism on it.

I'm pretty sure that the guard that met them at the elevator was supposed to be the one guarding it and he forgot to lock the door behind him.

But yeah, I found it a bit odd that something that powerful not having a key lock, password or some other security measure to be a bit strange, but certainly it was needed to advance the plot.

My biggest complaint, though minor, is that early on, they show a bank of screens that are apparently showing vital stats of the kids, and one of the stats does appear to be an ekg-type stat. Why didn't anyone happen to look over at stoner-boys screen and notice "hey, his heart is still beating- he isn't dead" is beyond me.

-jason

CaptainMarvel
04-23-12, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty sure that the guard that met them at the elevator was supposed to be the one guarding it and he forgot to lock the door behind him.

But yeah, I found it a bit odd that something that powerful not having a key lock, password or some other security measure to be a bit strange, but certainly it was needed to advance the plot.

My biggest complaint, though minor, is that early on, they show a bank of screens that are apparently showing vital stats of the kids, and one of the stats does appear to be an ekg-type stat. Why didn't anyone happen to look over at stoner-boys screen and notice "hey, his heart is still beating- he isn't dead" is beyond me.

-jason

You could easily say that the knife he took in the back destroyed whatever monitor they had implanted. That would lead to them incorrectly beleiving he died.

Supermallet
04-23-12, 01:03 PM

-jason

This again speaks to their utter complacency.

Dan
04-23-12, 01:12 PM
You could easily say that the knife he took in the back destroyed whatever monitor they had implanted. That would lead to them incorrectly beleiving he died.

That's a fair assumption. My only complaint is... wouldn't they still need to pull the lever to drip his blood into the "fool" outline in the rocks? How could they forget to do that if they thought he was dead?

CKMorpheus
04-23-12, 07:25 PM
This again speaks to their utter complacency.

That was my assumption as well.

LiquidSky
04-23-12, 08:25 PM
Such a fantastic movie. I'm going to see it for the second time tonight!

I went for a second time this past weekend with a pal who hadn't seen it. :)

achau9598
04-23-12, 08:44 PM
That's a fair assumption. My only complaint is... wouldn't they still need to pull the lever to drip his blood into the "fool" outline in the rocks? How could they forget to do that if they thought he was dead?

I thought they did pull the lever ... at the end it was pretty clear that only 1 of the levers was still behind a closed door. But what would have stopped them from simply pulling the levers even if no one died - were the demons watching this show and would have known that the people never really died?

CaptainMarvel
04-23-12, 09:23 PM
I thought they did pull the lever ... at the end it was pretty clear that only 1 of the levers was still behind a closed door. But what would have stopped them from simply pulling the levers even if no one died - were the demons watching this show and would have known that the people never really died?

I actually noticed something re: this on my second viewing. Once they thought he died, they pulled the lever triggering the blood sacrifice. Immediately, the entire complex started shaking: they commented that the old god was getting excited, but it's pretty clear on repeat viewing that he was reacting to them screwing up and offering the blood before the victim was dead.

joefrog91
04-23-12, 11:38 PM

Yes, I finally confirmed this. The dialogue in the movie at the party is, "Seriously, It wasn't our fault. There was a glitch. A power re-route from upstairs."

riotinmyskull
04-24-12, 05:59 AM
how exactly did the stoner cause the glitch?

CharlieK
04-24-12, 07:38 AM
Yes, I finally confirmed this. The dialogue in the movie at the party is, "Seriously, It wasn't our fault. There was a glitch. A power re-route from upstairs."

Thanks!

how exactly did the stoner cause the glitch?

The Stoner had found the elevator car the zombies came up in and was messing around with wiring he found behind a panel in there.

riotinmyskull
04-24-12, 07:49 AM
The Stoner had found the elevator car the zombies came up in and was messing around with wiring he found behind a panel in there.

ah...gotcha! thanks.

DeputyDave
04-24-12, 10:23 AM
Great movie, I'll certainly be buying it on BR.

It was obvious that the "traditions" that dictate the sacrifices were based on popular movies from that particular country. Japan was easy to see what movies theirs was based on, but I was wondering if we are going to get any insight on the other countries named (and the "fails" that were being shown). I'm sure they were referencing recent horror trends in each country.

joeblow69
04-24-12, 12:31 PM
When he said this, I initially thought he was talking about God .. or possibly some other mystery corporation that was trying to stop the sacrifices. lol

Giantrobo
04-24-12, 12:43 PM
When he said this, I initially thought he was talking about God .. or possibly some other mystery corporation that was trying to stop the sacrifices. lol

At first I thought it was the Security Guard(Black Guy) who was with them. I figured he went off and did something. He was the only one who seemed to still take things seriously. But yeah, then the Stoner's activities were revealed.

Troy Stiffler
04-24-12, 02:45 PM
When he said this, I initially thought he was talking about God

Me too. The mystery and conflicting possibilities is part of what made it so much fun.

Greg MacGuffin
04-24-12, 03:20 PM
I thought this was a really well-written take on the film:

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/24/collins-crypt-yes-the-cabin-in-the-woods-is-horror/

Collins’ Crypt: Yes, THE CABIN IN THE WOODS Is Horror

It's not that CABIN isn't a horror movie - the problem might be that you're not a very good horror fan if you can't accept a movie that doesn't stick to the same old rules. Spoilers within - beware!
Warning: heavy spoilers for The Cabin in The Woods below! Read at your own risk!

One of my favorite writers is Vern, best known for his takes on Steven Seagal's entire filmography (collected/expanded into "Seagalogy", a book I read cover to cover despite having only seen Seagal's theatrical output), as well as an expert on "Badass Cinema," a topic our readers (and writers!) should appreciate very much. He also tackles horror films on a regular basis, and while I don't always agree with his take, I can usually see where he's coming from and respect his opinion. Hell, even when I don't agree with him, I would still say reading Vern's opposing take is a much better use of your time than most writers I agree with.

However, I was a bit taken back by the first paragraph of his (mixed-to-positive, and intelligent) The Cabin in the Woods review, which was the complete opposite feeling I took away from it after my first (of two, and counting) viewings. From his review:

I liked THE CABIN IN THE WOODS, but it’s the kind of movie that people who don’t like horror movies say is THE BEST HORROR MOVIE IN YEARS. Of course it seems that way to them because 1) they don’t have that much to compare it to, they just have a hunch about what those other ones are like, those bad ones, and 2) since they don’t like horror movies that much they prefer one that’s not really that much of a horror movie.

Not that I think Vern is completely in the wrong; I'm sure there are some non-fans who have patted themselves on the back for recognizing the fake Pinhead in Cabin. But it's certainly not true of everyone who has given it such accolades - I like horror movies very much, and since I've watched one every day for over five years (not to mention the scores of films I had seen prior), I think my horror intake exceeds pretty much anyone else in this field save maybe Scott Weinberg (when I see something he hasn't, I feel a slight tinge of pride). So when I say that The Cabin In The Woods is (quoting my own oft-retweeted, post-midnight screening "blurb"): "the best horror movie I've seen in years," I DO, in fact, say it as a die-hard horror fan, and I also have quite a bit to compare it to. In fact, I credit that massive exposure as being part of the reason I loved it as much as I did.

(FINAL SPOILER WARNING!!!)

Now, I went into the film relatively unburdened by spoilers and the like. I knew it was "clever" and had gotten whiffs of it being a sort of "behind the scenes" of a typical horror movie, but nothing else - I didn't know how Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins' characters fit into the story until they appeared on screen. And while they don't explain their intentions until the third act, it doesn't take long to understand that they are engineering the events of a pretty traditional horror film story. That story, should you be reading this without having seen the film (you fool!) concerns five kids who head off to an isolated spot, meet a creepy "Harbinger of Doom" along the way, get drunk, get high, fool around and get picked off one by one.

The specifics vary, but this is more or less in the vein of Evil Dead, Wrong Turn, Friday the 13th (and most sequels), Tourist Trap, Hatchet, House of Wax (2005), and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Those are pretty popular films; even a casual horror fan has seen many/all of them, and that would be enough of a primer to enjoy the satire behind Cabin's concept. But I'm no casual horror fan, and due to my need to find a movie every day, I can add quite a bit to the list of films that Cabin is (or at least could be) riffing on. Exit 33, Don't Let Him In, Beware, Butchered, Mask Maker, Silent Scream, Creature, Somebody Help Me, The Fear, Pelt, Backwoods Bloodbath, Reunion Of Terror, Night Divides The Day, The Eves, Husk, The Season, The Graves, Resurrection County, The Lodge, Savage County, Warlock III, Goblin, Graveyard Disturbance, The Inheritance, The Hollow, Portal... these are just the movies I've watched in the past twelve months that, in some alternate universe, are just as popular as Evil Dead and thus could have been one of the direct influences on at least one element of The Cabin In The Woods script.

See, all of them feature one or more clichés that Cabin mocks, and that was something that made me incredibly giddy as I watched the film. The idea that the out of nowhere mist that constantly engulfs horror movie protagonists is actually a pheromone spray that inspires them to have sex in strange places? That is something that is going to amuse me every time I see yet another movie featuring this scenario. Ditto for the basements filled with trinkets and antiques - I have actually wondered in the past how our hero or heroine managed to zero in on the ONE object, be it an old diary or mystical object, that would unleash a demon in these Evil Dead ripoff movies. Thus, I took much delight from the idea that EVERY object in these impossibly overstuffed basements or attics would have released an evil creature should it have been tampered with.

It's these and other moments that will make me laugh when they pop up in "serious" (or is that ignorant?) horror movies from now until the end of time, just as Scream has forever "ruined" someone saying "I'll be right back!" But more importantly, this actually made Horror Movie A Day-ing worthwhile, something I certainly wouldn't say about any of the films I mentioned in that second list above. I could have been one of those fans Vern was referring to, and simply assumed that Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon were mocking Texas Chainsaw and Evil Dead, but each ripoff of those films just made me appreciate the joke behind these elements all the more. I've seen enough creepy gas station assholes to last me a lifetime, so forgive me if that makes me laugh extra hard at the idea that he's an intentional cliché intended to ensure that our group of protagonists go off into dangerous territory on their own free will.

This idea comes across more strongly in the novelization (yay!), by the way. It's just a line or two in the film, but the novel - based on the final draft script and not prone to "editing for time" as the feature would be - further delves into the various things that the "Downstairs" folk do to make sure that our kids "put on a good show." It also helps clarify some of the things that weren't as clearly defined in the film, such as how much of a jock/dick Curt had become, or Holden being changed into the group's "egghead." Thus, it's a good read for fans (it also gives some detail about Kevin!), and even the film's detractors could stand to check it out, or least the parts they had problems with. For example, some people have complained that Sigourney Weaver* should have just shot Marty (and maybe Dana for good measure), but it doesn't work that way - the Old Ones (and by proxy, us) have to be satisfied with the outcome in order to be appeased for the year, and no one would be satisfied with that simple of an ending. It's the same logic behind the kids being the ones to unleash their destroyer (in this scenario, that's the Buckner family) - there has to be a degree of fairness, and it has to be entertaining for the viewer. A character we don't know showing up and killing our hero would be a giant letdown, even if it was Ellen Ripley. Let's put it this way - if you didn't recognize the actress, or if it was some no-name, would you have been okay with her showing up and shooting Marty? Didn't think so.

Another point that Vern makes is that the narrow stereotypes assigned to the Cabin characters (the slut, the jock, the nerd, the fool/stoner and the virgin) don't fit into the movies they're referencing, such as Hellraiser. And I agree with that (Hellraiser is probably the closest we get to a specific reference in the film despite the fact that Clive Barker's mythology is far removed from this sort of scenario - a Jason wannabe would have made more sense), but part of what I like about Cabin is that it's NOT too specific. Unlike Scream, no single film is mentioned directly in the film, and the monsters, while influenced by certain films, are mostly sort of generic. Like, there's a killer clown, but it's not necessarily Pennywise. So I think they were going for an all-purpose "melting pot" of horror here, mixing up the elements so that they could get away with having a lot of fun but without specifically mocking any particular film. So the archetypes are drawn from slashers, the villains from supernatural/monster films - all bases are covered. And we even get the bonus of the other countries, so Japan covers our vengeful ghosts and Buenos Aires is besieged by a rampaging King Kong type. Hell they even work in some "torture porn" if you pay attention to the monitors, plus one could argue that the Whitford/Jenkins characters are like Hoffman and Jigsaw, putting five innocent people through a "game" that they have some (but not complete) control over. By getting things "wrong," so to speak, they're actually doing it right - it puts all of us on a level playing field with regards to being catered to. If the five kids perfectly mirrored the five in Evil Dead (which would make Dana... Ash?), it wouldn't work - it'd just be a clever spoof of Sam Raimi's film, and those who hadn't seen it would probably be missing part of the joke. Instead it's riffing on the genre itself, without any specifics to distract you, or even breaking things down into the familiar sub-genres. It's a survival monster supernatural slasher home invasion mad scientist movie! With zombies!

Which brings me to another concern that has baffled me: the idea that Cabin "isn't a horror movie." I've seen the issue raised by critics and fans, and I just don't understand their mentality. One specific concern is that the film "isn't scary." Well, shit, I'm glad you were so terrified by Saw V, because that sure as hell wasn't scary to anyone I know but I doubt there's a soul on the planet who would dismiss the idea that it's a horror film. And if you're of the belief that there can't be any comedy in the film for it to count as horror, then it must suck having to disregard American Werewolf In London, Tremors, Fright Night, Slither, Gremlins, or Return of the Living Dead as legitimate horror movies as well.

Also, fuck you it's not scary! Even the goddamn TITLE caused the audience to yelp/jump at both screenings I attended, and there are several other good jolts as well (the "wind" blowing the basement door open, the first attack, Holden's death, etc). The gore is plentiful, the body count is high, and there are more monsters and murderers in this movie than in a dozen issues of Fangoria combined. Just because the context is different doesn't make it less of a reality, and in fact I think it's a bit insulting to dismiss the idea that this is a horror film. What, so now horror movies can't be creative? They have to adhere to clichés instead of poking holes in them? Cabin succeeds first and foremost at telling a creative, largely original story, something that is becoming harder and harder to find in ANY genre nowadays. That they've done that in the context of a very fun and yes, occasionally scary horror film should be lauded. It's not that Cabin In The Woods might not be a horror film, because it most certainly is - the problem might be that you're not a very good horror fan if you can't accept a movie that doesn't stick to the same old rules.

Part of that "it's not scary" mentality might be attributed to a simple misconception. If you watch the film and think that Dana and Marty are the heroes (even disregarding their final act, which nullifies that idea to an infinite degree), you've misunderstood it. The heroes of the film are Sitterson and Hadley; Dana and the others are just pawns in their attempt to, essentially, save the world. Knowing that, the movie is incredibly suspenseful - the bits where things go astray (the cave not being blocked, for example) are much more exciting and unnerving than any chase scene, because the world might end if they don't succeed in getting things back on track.

I could go on and on, because this is the first horror film in years that I've been truly blown away by, and there's plenty to discuss and chew over, but this (very small and thankfully not too vocal) "backlash" really bummed me out. I don't care if you don't like the movie - no movie is ever going to satisfy everyone, certainly not a horror movie (one that requires a little brain activity to boot). But the dismissals I see from usually clear-thinking folks are in some ways more upsetting than Rex Reed's now legendary and hilariously inept review, because some of them (not Vern's, I should stress) almost seem to be of the opinion that the film can't be considered horror simply because it's intelligent. One point of the film is that we NEED horror movies to keep the world from descending into chaos - because of that, The Cabin In The Woods has done more to validate the genre than you, I, or any other horror critic ever will.

*Anyone else think this cameo would have been even funnier/more awesome if it was Jamie Lee Curtis in the role? I mean, it all comes down to making sure that the virgin is the last to die, who better to explain this than the originator of the cliché?

Strevlac
04-24-12, 07:50 PM
This would make an OK episode of Masters Of Horror. Quality cinema? Uhhh...no.

dino88
04-24-12, 11:50 PM
This would make an OK episode of Masters Of Horror. Quality cinema? Uhhh...no.

Haven't we already heard from you? Or did you not get the reaction you were looking for with your previous posts?

joefrog91
04-25-12, 12:09 AM
I just read the Rex Reed review. Unbelievable the NY Observer ran that piece of shit. It's like he didn't even watch the film.

DonnachaOne
04-25-12, 03:00 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rex Reed is a national treasure.

Johnson had that to say about Reed's review of Cabin (Reed also hated Johnson's films). Rian loved Cabin, by the way.

dino88 - it's better to ignore him/her. We have an "ignore" function just for this. As long as no-one quotes the posts, you can read the informed and fair opinions of others almost troll-free.

boredsilly
04-25-12, 08:31 AM
Great movie, I'll certainly be buying it on BR.

It was obvious that the "traditions" that dictate the sacrifices were based on popular movies from that particular country. Japan was easy to see what movies theirs was based on, but I was wondering if we are going to get any insight on the other countries named (and the "fails" that were being shown). I'm sure they were referencing recent horror trends in each country.

I think the reason we didn't see more is that I don't think horror tropes from other countries are as easily identifiable as those found in Japan. I mean, I guess if they wanted to riff on French horror you could have a pretty nymphish girl covered in blood screaming as she's tortured. -wink-

Also, reading that write up Jeffy Pop posted was great if for nothing else than it hipping me to the fact that there is a novelization! They have one at my library, so I'm going to pick that bad boy up today.

EdTheRipper
04-25-12, 03:42 PM
My spoiler-free thoughts on Cabin in the Woods? During the first 45 minutes I was marginally entertained, perhaps even leaning towards disappointed... then about 1/2 way through it shifts gears, kicks you in the teeth, twists your nipples, and rapes your third input without the benefit of lube. Good times.

I couldn't agree more. I went in not knowing anything about this flick, thinking it was for the best. I was on the verge of boredom until the halfway point where all hell breaks loose. I'm really looking forward to seeing it again when it hits video.

islandclaws
04-26-12, 11:17 AM
A solid 4 stars from me, though I could see that going up to 4 1/2 upon subsequent viewings.

This is EXACTLY what I've been waiting for - a horror film that bucks tired genre trends, has brains and isn't afraid to go in completely unconventional directions.

I thought the entire concept was brilliant - Evil Dead meets The Truman Show (I'm sure that's been said before) - and it all left me wanting to see a dozen more films from within this universe.

Too hard to select a favorite scene, but I loved the "System Purge" sequence and, well... just about everything.

A few minor issues, though:

- the typical stoner character was annoying and too much of a stereotype. It felt like he came from a different film.

- the needless exposition at the end. So, the girl sees a similar globe-thing in that creepy tall guy's hands and magically knows the entire plan of the organization? Ok... Also, the voiceover from Sigourney (before we meet her) when the kids are running through the halls clearly existed just to explain more of the film to us. If the film is being written as smart, assume your audience is as well. I didn't feel like any of this needed more of an explanation than I was able to derive on my own.

Other than that I loved it.

A guy gets killed by a fucking unicorn!

The Merman scene - :up:

I'm eager to watch it again already. As much as I'd love to see more, though, I think any kind of a sequel/prequel will only serve to dilute the original. It's best left as it is, with everyone wondering a million things about the organization and how they've operated.

joefrog91
04-26-12, 11:24 AM

Deadites (evil dead)
Kevin (wtf, Probably Jason, but they don't have the rights to the name)Angry Molesting tree (The opposite of The Giving Tree? The Giving tree giveth and the Molesting tree taketh.. Your virginity)
Dismemberment Goblins

I heard a podcast that said Kevin was a nod to the movie "We Need To Talk About Kevin". Makes sense to me.

RichC2
04-26-12, 12:00 PM
I heard a podcast that said Kevin was a nod to the movie "We Need To Talk About Kevin". Makes sense to me.

I seriously doubt that -- I don't think the book was that huge (2003), and Cabin in the Woods was filmed in 2009 (and shelved for 3 years thanks to MGM's financial woes), We Need to Talk About Kevin the movie came out in 2011.

joefrog91
04-26-12, 12:11 PM
I seriously doubt that -- I don't think the book was that huge (2003), and Cabin in the Woods was filmed in 2009 (and shelved for 3 years thanks to MGM's financial woes), We Need to Talk About Kevin the movie came out in 2011.

Gotcha. I guess it is funnier if it's just a random name.

RichC2
04-26-12, 12:13 PM
That's what I was thinking, you have all these serious names then... Kevin. Unless it's a shout out to Scream scribe Kevin Williamson, but why in god's name would anyone do that.

SuckaMC
04-26-12, 02:32 PM
I think "Kevin" on the board was just to have a common name among all the other wacky stuff. But I'd love to hear the real reason.

Meglos
04-26-12, 03:22 PM
From imdb's trivia section of the movie:

Among the various possible monsters on the control room white board, one of them is just listed as "Kevin." Although Kevin is never seen, in the tie-in book The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Visual Companion co-writer Drew Goddard said that Kevin was meant to be "a sweet-looking guy who seemed like he might work at Best Buy--until he dismembers people."

dino88
04-26-12, 06:11 PM
As Liz Lemon said, "Has anyone ever known a good person named Kevin?"

DJariya
04-27-12, 12:45 AM
I saw this today and unfortunately I'm not going to join in the love fest for this movie here. I was entertained for maybe 3/4 of the movie, but the final act lost me.

Initially I was under the impression that Whitford, Jenkins, Acker and the rest of the people in that control room/lab were conducting some kind of sick reality TV experiment where they controlled what happened to everyone. The movie lost me when when Dana and Marty went down that wacky elevator and then they showed all kinds of weird nightmare creatures locked up in some kind of rubix cube prison. And then when they introduced Sigourney Weaver's character saying that this was all part of some weird ritual to sacrifice a group of people to save the world, I just rolled my eyes. -rolleyes- I just said to myself really? And worst of all was seeing the giant hand pop up from underground that destroyed mankind. :lol: I do give them credit with the special effects. When Marty and Dana released the creatures and they went on that wild killing rampage, I was really entertained by that whole sequence.

I'm sorry, maybe I just didn't get this movie. Was it supposed to be some attempt at a horror satire/statement? Was it supposed to be funny? Marty or Stoner dude was fucking annoying as hell. When I left the theatre, there were 2 guys in front of me who were just stunned and said..."WTF was that?"

I will say this, Amy Acker is hot. I love her. It is cool that she's getting alot more work recently. Recently she was on Grimm on NBC and Once Upon a Time. Beautiful actress.

I'm going to give this a D....Sorry :shrug:

TGM
04-27-12, 05:35 AM
^ stick to TV

CaptainMarvel
04-27-12, 07:30 AM
^ stick to TV

You know, there's no reason to make a dickish post to somebody just because the movie isn't their cup of tea. It's obvious this guy isn't like Strevlac just blatantly trolling.

TGM
04-27-12, 08:12 AM
You know, there's no reason to make a dickish post to somebody just because the movie isn't their cup of tea. It's obvious this guy isn't like Strevlac just blatantly trolling.

lighten up Francis.

CaptainMarvel
04-27-12, 08:45 AM
lighten up Francis.

The inherent logic of your retort has defeated my position.

TGM
04-27-12, 10:40 AM
are we done, here?

RichC2
04-27-12, 10:50 AM
Hell no, we're done when you say we're done.

Dan
04-27-12, 10:54 AM
I saw this today and unfortunately I'm not going to join in the love fest for this movie here. I was entertained for maybe 3/4 of the movie, but the final act lost me.

Initially I was under the impression that Whitford, Jenkins, Acker and the rest of the people in that control room/lab were conducting some kind of sick reality TV experiment where they controlled what happened to everyone. The movie lost when when Dana and Marty went down that wacky elevator and then they showed all kinds of weird nightmare creatures locked up in some kind of rubix cube prison. And then when they introduced Sigourney Weaver's character saying that this was all part of some weird ritual to sacrifice a group of people to save the world, I just rolled my eyes. -rolleyes- I just said to myself really? And worst of all was seeing the giant hand pop up from underground that destroyed mankind. :lol: I do give them credit with the special effects. When Marty and Dana released the creatures and they went on that wild killing rampage, I was really entertained by that whole sequence.

I'm sorry, maybe I just didn't get this movie. Was it supposed to be some attempt at a horror satire/statement? Was it supposed to be funny? Marty or Stoner dude was fucking annoying as hell. When I left the theatre, there were 2 guys in front of me who were just stunned and said..."WTF was that?"

I will say this, Amy Acker is hot. I love her. It is cool that she's getting alot more work recently. Recently she was on Grimm on NBC and Once Upon a Time. Beautiful actress.

I'm going to give this a D....Sorry :shrug:

My wife actually had the same complaints about it. She really didn't like that it went all "supernatural" at the end, but my counter argument is... they set it up as a "supernatural horror" as soon as they ended up in the cellar. It was the one thing that the control room DIDN'T have control over. So, fast forward to the end, and I think it makes a hell of a lot more sense that it was all being done to appease the gods and save the world, so to speak. :)

I agree that Marty was pretty annoying, but other than that, I loved it.

SterlingBen
04-27-12, 12:54 PM
My wife actually had the same complaints about it. She really didn't like that it went all "supernatural" at the end, but my counter argument is... they set it up as a "supernatural horror" as soon as they ended up in the cellar. It was the one thing that the control room DIDN'T have control over. So, fast forward to the end, and I think it makes a hell of a lot more sense that it was all being done to appease the gods and save the world, so to speak. :)

I agree that Marty was pretty annoying, but other than that, I loved it.

Mine too but she might also have been a bit insulted at the Japanese part. And that I kept calling her Frog Girl all day after that.

Patman
04-27-12, 08:22 PM
If I had seen "Hunger Games" last month, I might have thought a little higher of "Cabin in the Woods", given its meta-take on what passes for entertainment for the select masses nowadays.

The cast of would-be cabin dweller weren't fleshed out all that well, playing archetypes of the horror genre, so it wasn't so much of a film where you get invested in characters when all hell starts to break loose, so the final act come across a little sloppy without much dramatic tension as I'd hope for. There is definitely a slightly larger budget feel from the folks that worked on previous Joss Whedon TV shows, such as Angel and Dollhouse, and how it extracts an ominous tone from foreboding bodies which keep this cabin's "script" going over the passage of time.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

sharkstank
04-27-12, 10:12 PM
I think saying "really?" about the elevator sequence on is kind of silly after they have been running from an undead cannibal zombie family, but that is just me. At least you enjoyed the purge sequence, DJariya.

And when I saw it in Berkeley, Amy Acker was there. She is indeed hot.

MasterofDVD
04-28-12, 02:10 AM
I really enjoyed the movie as well. I was going to wait and get the blu-ray down the road but I feared that someone would ruin the twist for me and spoil the experience. As stated above the stoner was WAY over the top at first and really bugged me but the rest of the film helped ease my irritation. The phone call joke with the creepy hillbilly was awesome.

Geofferson
04-28-12, 04:36 PM
Saw this the other night. Good, not great and my mind wasn't completely blown. I did enjoy it though and loved the guy getting stabbed by the unicorn :up:

asianxcore
05-01-12, 05:48 PM
Went out and saw this the other day.

Super fun, a little sloppy at the end, but overall a good time!

HistoryProf
05-04-12, 12:03 AM
My one beef with the entire set up of this otherwise amazingly fun and awesome movie is this: how did they control things before the last 50 years when they had the technology to build this massive underground bunker w/ the cubes for the monsters and all that stuff? what were they doing in 1740? clearly this has been going on a very long time since the god's who allowed the humans to live as long as they did this for them are the "ancients." yet everything is seemingly based on cultural artifacts from the last 30-40 years. that's so incongruous I had a hard time reconciling it. did they just have the giant snake in a cage somewhere? or the ghosts? or did the monster pantheon grow over time? obviously the redneck torture zombies were a relatively new addition, but everything suggests that this has been going on for millennia....

and I must have missed the line where they say that different cultures have different rules or whatever, because my friends and I were a bit confused as to why the Japanese group was a bunch of school girls, when they went to so much trouble to explain the very specific 5 person protocol for the ceremony in the U.S. I honestly can't wait to have this on blu so I can watch it more closely and pause on various elements like the stuff in the cellar. do we know what the film reels were supposed to signify? what monster they were associated with? is that the Merman since he was an obvious allusion to Creature from the Black Lagoon?

joefrog91
05-04-12, 12:13 AM
My one beef with the entire set up of this otherwise amazingly fun and awesome movie is this: how did they control things before the last 50 years when they had the technology to build this massive underground bunker w/ the cubes for the monsters and all that stuff? what were they doing in 1740? clearly this has been going on a very long time since the god's who allowed the humans to live as long as they did this for them are the "ancients." yet everything is seemingly based on cultural artifacts from the last 30-40 years. that's so incongruous I had a hard time reconciling it. did they just have the giant snake in a cage somewhere? or the ghosts? or did the monster pantheon grow over time? obviously the redneck torture zombies were a relatively new addition, but everything suggests that this has been going on for millennia....

and I must have missed the line where they say that different cultures have different rules or whatever, because my friends and I were a bit confused as to why the Japanese group was a bunch of school girls, when they went to so much trouble to explain the very specific 5 person protocol for the ceremony in the U.S. I honestly can't wait to have this on blu so I can watch it more closely and pause on various elements like the stuff in the cellar. do we know what the film reels were supposed to signify? what monster they were associated with? is that the Merman since he was an obvious allusion to Creature from the Black Lagoon?

Yes, they mentioned every culture was different. The conch shell triggers the merman.

Greg MacGuffin
05-04-12, 11:01 AM

This may sound like a copout, but one of the things I really liked about the movie is that they didn't explain all of these things. I felt like they gave us just enough information so that the audience could walk away with a bigger picture of the world that they created, but each person's idea is going to be slightly different. The picture of the white board, for example, that somebody posted above - I like looking at all of the different things listed and imagining what each one represents.

:shrug: Sometimes less is more.

dsa_shea
05-05-12, 11:44 PM
This may sound like a copout, but one of the things I really liked about the movie is that they didn't explain all of these things. I felt like they gave us just enough information so that the audience could walk away with a bigger picture of the world that they created, but each person's idea is going to be slightly different. The picture of the white board, for example, that somebody posted above - I like looking at all of the different things listed and imagining what each one represents.

:shrug: Sometimes less is more.

A lot of people got pissed off when LOST did this but here it is ok!?

Supermallet
05-06-12, 12:02 AM
Cabin In The Woods is a fun send-up of horror films. Its intentions are wholly different from that of Lost.

arminius
05-06-12, 09:34 AM
Cabin In The Woods is a fun send-up of horror films. Its intentions are wholly different from that of Lost.

Yep, but I still think the button was almost a Deus Ex Machina. Something like that would have had a protocol for everyone to follow as per a drill. The aimless running about was not that great a plan after a purge.

Supermallet
05-06-12, 12:29 PM
Yes, in real life they would have a protocol. In an over the top horror movie they have a big red "OH FUCK" button.

TomOpus
05-10-12, 09:31 PM
Caught the movie this afternoon. I didn't love it but really enjoyed it. Not much more to add than what was already discussed.

- One would think with the importance of certain members of the group being killed, along with all the video surveillance, they would've known if Shaggy was dead.

-The way the crazy gas station guy was acting, I was expecting him to show up towards the finale.

-Each time they have to do the sacrifice, they need to find 5 people that fit each role? Seems like it would be tough to do.

-Why would the gods want to "see the goods" on women? Just seemed a little odd.

-Why was there a one-way mirror upstairs?

On a side note, the movie was in one of the smaller rooms but it had a 4K digital projector so the movie looked really good, even in the dark scenes. Oh and there were all of 3 of us there :)

joeblow69
05-10-12, 10:51 PM
The only thing I can answer is this one:

-Each time they have to do the sacrifice, they need to find 5 people that fit each role? Seems like it would be tough to do.

They were drugging them so that they would fit into the roles. Remember one of them wondering why Thor was all of a sudden acting like a dumb jock?

TomOpus
05-10-12, 10:58 PM
They were drugging them so that they would fit into the roles. Remember one of them wondering why Thor was all of a sudden acting like a dumb jock?But wasn't he already a jock? When he threw that football out the window to the new guy he said he has the best hands on the team. I guess I assumed he played on the football team.

Giantrobo
05-10-12, 11:03 PM
But wasn't he already a jock? When he threw that football out the window to the new guy he said he has the best hands on the team. I guess I assumed he played on the football team.

Yes. But actually, what they did was they induced his "Hero Alpha Male Gun ho" side. Suddenly he was ready to take on whatever was thrown his way and he was "the leader" of the group.

They added stuff to Shaggy's weed, made the Whore hornier, and etc...

All 5 were Archetypes of American Horror films. The Jock, The Fool, The Virgin, The Whore, and The Smart Guy(?)...

Notice in Japan it was the "Scary Young Girl"...typical of the popular Japanese horror films that have made it here over the last couple years.

Maxflier
05-13-12, 03:55 AM
God Damn I loved this movie. It's almost a shame the way it ended because there could have been an infinite number of sequels, but then again they wouldn't have been able to go all the way over the top the way they did.

RichC2
05-13-12, 10:14 AM
Movie was alright, started out strong, got settled in and a little stale and the final 1/3rd was a bit lame. Liked some of the concepts and it was a nice ode to the horror movie genre, great cast too, but it got a little too silly for me as the end approached.

It was a very funny movie in spots though, loved the references, deconstruction of the genre, and I loved the intro screen location. I also loved the Unicorn death.

Overall, great concept, so-so execution, but certainly worth watching. 3 / 5

Holydoc
05-14-12, 12:12 PM
Finally convinced my wife to go see a horror flick with me. Had avoided all previews so I knew nothing about this movie. Stood in line for tickets only to find out we were the only one in the theatre watching this movie. Was prepared for a great scare.

Totatlly disappointed. With a mindset of waiting to jump in my seat, I did not get that this was a spoof and a comedy(?). Nothing was surprising, forshadowing, or a really surprise reveal. Since we were the only ones in the theatre, my wife and I yelled things like "Don't do it", "That is just stupid", and "Why again is he not dead/injured after having a (knife, bear trap, werewolf, etc.) hit him?"

Sure we got to yell in the theatre without disturbing anyone. Sure we played musical chairs during the "ole so many" boring parts. But in reality, the only SURE things in my life is that I am SURE I will never get back those two hours of my life, and I am SURE my wife will never let me pick out the movie again.

riotinmyskull
05-14-12, 12:36 PM
^ from the sounds of it...i'm glad you'll never get those 2 hours back.

Giantrobo
05-14-12, 12:37 PM

Solid Snake
05-14-12, 01:55 PM
oh..he's ONE of THOSE.

RichC2
05-14-12, 04:12 PM
How does anyone who uses the internet at all go into that movie thinking it was supposed to be scary?

Holydoc
05-14-12, 04:19 PM
How does anyone who uses the internet at all go into that movie thinking it was supposed to be scary?

You have to be disciplined enough to stay away indepth descriptions of the movie. /nod

People who have this discipline are also able to avoid movie trailers, tv show previews, and threads on forums like this one until they actually see the movie. Rumor also has it that they are good looking, highly intelligent, well groomed, and extremely fun at parties. :)

Meglos
05-14-12, 04:30 PM
Y
People who have this discipline are also able to avoid movie trailers, tv show previews, and threads on forums like this one until they actually see the movie. Rumor also has it that they are good looking, highly intelligent, well groomed, and extremely fun at parties. :)

Are you SURE about this?

Holydoc
05-14-12, 04:52 PM
Are you SURE about this?

Now THAT made me laugh!

The Bus
06-15-12, 10:46 AM
Great film. I'd put it up there with <b>Drag Me to Hell</b> on the fun/ridiculousness level. The second half is much better than the first.

Julie Walker
07-18-12, 01:13 AM
I saw this again at a great second run theater(http://www.riverviewtheater.com/), and I must say I enjoyed the film much more than the first time I saw it!

I think the hype ruined it a bit the first time around, and I was analyzing the film instead of watching it the first time, judging the editing choices and attempts at humor rather than allowing myself to become immersed in the film. Also I think the sound wasn't that great the first time around, since the film seemed even more comedic in tone last time than this time and came off as forced in various scenes.

I actually jumped at a few moments this time around, and it felt creepier in atmosphere than before, while still being extremely funny throughout. The presentation was 35mm this time around as well instead of digital and that was awesome, and the audio was powerful compared to the bland digital presentation I saw originally where it seemed like the volume was down to low.

So I was able to just sit back and enjoy the film this time compared to the first time I saw it, and it was so much fun, and definitely will become a cult classic. The audience seemed to enjoy it as well, and applauded during one scene as well as the end credits, and were raving about the film outside the theater, which is pretty cool to see.

:thumbsup:

modfather
08-23-12, 02:20 PM
Loved it!

TGM
08-23-12, 02:24 PM
Loved it!

Congrats on coming out of that coma! We landed another rover on Mars, ya know.

modfather
08-23-12, 02:44 PM
Is that because I barely caught this on BD or because I haven't posted much in a long time? ;)

Being one of the longest-standing members of this site, I don't post as much as much as I should.

Larry C.
08-23-12, 02:54 PM
Is it me or has this taken a long ass time to hit BD/DVD?

RichC2
08-23-12, 02:58 PM
5 months, the norm has sort of moved to 4 months, but used to be 6.

RocShemp
08-23-12, 03:16 PM
Great film. I'd put it up there with <b>Drag Me to Hell</b> on the fun/ridiculousness level. The second half is much better than the first.

If it's half the rollercoaster ride that Drag Me to Hell was, I look forward to seeing this.

riotinmyskull
08-23-12, 03:50 PM
If it's half the rollercoaster ride that Drag Me to Hell was, I look forward to seeing this.

the last 20 minutes will not disappoint

Noonan
08-23-12, 04:01 PM
I can't wait for the BD to hit next month. This movie was a blast and I'm sure I missed a ton when I saw it the first time.

SuckaMC
08-23-12, 04:25 PM
I'm very excited to own this.

sharkstank
08-24-12, 01:55 AM
Yea reddit has gone wild with posts since... another way to watch the movie just popped up. Can't wait to buy it in a month.

And I liked Drag Me to Hell and I thought Cabin in the Woods was way better.

The Bus
08-24-12, 05:37 AM
I've only seen each movie once, but was entertained both times. Horror with laughs is probably one of the hardest types of film to make: both artistically (can you succeed?) as well as commercially (can it make money?).

Noonan
08-24-12, 08:51 AM
I've only seen each movie once, but was entertained both times. Horror with laughs is probably one of the hardest types of film to make: both artistically (can you succeed?) as well as commercially (can it make money?).
I agree. Trick R' Treat can be added to the list as well.

Dr Mabuse
08-24-12, 10:26 AM
Yeah this film is an absolute blast. A hell of a good time.

The Harbinger getting all apocalyptic and devout and then noticing the speakerphone thing...

Rival11
09-08-12, 01:46 AM
Ya know, judging by the some of the replies in this thread (haven't been able to read them all yet) I am very happy to say that I am not that old yet :lol: this movies was pretty fucking craptastic.

Can't say I was let down as I never knew what to think of it by the previews but I have heard some people say "It's awesome man, best shit ever man...you'll love it if you're a horror fan" yeah....if I was a fucking hipster horror fan or something.

Trerrible...had some promise but every time they kept going back to the "office" I just knew it wouldn't pay off and when the shit hits the fan.....it's just stupid....even with all the gore.

I made the mistake of buying this in advance on VUDU. I hope this doesn't start some new retarded trend (well, to be fair...it's better than a lot of the shit that came before it but that's not saying much) in horror filmmaking either.

My advice? Check out V/H/S.....sorry, it's just so much better than this....well.....bullshit.

I'd give it 2 out of 4 stars and wouldn't recommend it by it any means.

DaveyJoe
09-08-12, 02:55 AM
Ya know, judging by the some of the replies in this thread (haven't been able to read them all yet) I am very happy to say that I am not that old yet :lol: this movies was pretty fucking craptastic.

Can't say I was let down as I never knew what to think of it by the previews but I have heard some people say "It's awesome man, best shit ever man...you'll love it if you're a horror fan" yeah....if I was a fucking hipster horror fan or something.

Trerrible...had some promise but every time they kept going back to the "office" I just knew it wouldn't pay off and when the shit hits the fan.....it's just stupid....even with all the gore.

I made the mistake of buying this in advance on VUDU. I hope this doesn't start some new retarded trend (well, to be fair...it's better than a lot of the shit that came before it but that's not saying much) in horror filmmaking either.

My advice? Check out V/H/S.....sorry, it's just so much better than this....well.....bullshit.

Not sure I understand this critique. You say you're glad you didn't embrace the film because you're not that old, but in the next sentence say only hipster horror fans would enjoy it. :confused: This review reads like vindication that you're not like the people who enjoyed it, whoever they are. The fear of this movie starting a "retarded trend" is especially amusing. :lol: I do want to see V/H/S though, thanks for the tip. Also, I agree with you that for the most part, horror films suck these days, at least from America.

Rival11
09-08-12, 03:23 AM
Not sure I understand this critique. You say you're glad you didn't embrace the film because you're not that old, but in the next sentence say only hipster horror fans would enjoy it. :confused: This review reads like vindication that you're not like the people who enjoyed it, whoever they are. The fear of this movie starting a "retarded trend" is especially amusing. :lol: I do want to see V/H/S though, thanks for the tip.

no problem I'll clarify it by saying that maybe I was falling out of the genre cause I thought it sucked so bad.....I mean, it was really bad but then I saw some comments similar to what I thought a few pages back and was relived that I wasn't the only one who thought it was really fucking terrible and was then even more relieved that this wouldn't start the whole scream what you did last summer garbage......while ripping off the evil dead.

dino88
09-08-12, 06:57 AM

And my advice to the rest of you is if you liked Cabin in the Woods, skip V/H/S. It was terrible. I'm not sure why we're comparing the two, but it was a bad film.

redrum
09-08-12, 09:56 AM
This is The Godfather compared to V/H/S

Giantrobo
09-08-12, 11:19 AM
Wow, V/H/S/ over Cabin? Seriously?

slop101
09-08-12, 11:29 AM

I'd give it 2 out of 4 stars and wouldn't recommend it by it any means.That was one of the most pathetic "reviews" I've ever read - not because I disagree with it, but because you say nothing and give no reasons for your opinion. Seems more like a backlash to all the people who like the movie than anything having to do with the movie itself. IOW, you're pretty much trolling.

Rival11
09-08-12, 01:16 PM
:lol: So passionate...so mad. Why do I need to expand more on what I thought? If I said it was the greatest movie ever nobody would have said anything at all...so why is not like that when I say it sucked?

Don't take it so personal.

See I'm not mad at the comments about VHS because we all know they are wrong anyway................kidding, kidding, I loved V/H/S though..it definitely felt like a real horror movie and I haven't had that feeling in a LONG time.

DaveyJoe
09-08-12, 01:18 PM
:lol: So passionate...so mad. Why do I need to expand more on what I thought? If I said it was the greatest movie ever nobody would have said anything at all...so why is not like that when I say it sucked?

Don't take it so personal.

See I'm not mad at the comments about VHS because we all know they are wrong anyway................kidding, kidding, I loved V/H/S though..it definitely felt like a real horror movie and I haven't had that feeling in a LONG time.

What happened to your response to my quote? I could have sworn you clarified your review for me last night, but then again.. I was drinking heavily.

islandclaws
09-08-12, 01:21 PM
Well, to be honest, your "review" doesn't state what specific problems you had with the film, just that it might start a "retarded trend" (because horror currently has a good one?), or that it's only for "fucking hipster horror fans", which makes about zero sense. I've been a horror fan for over 20 years, and I really liked it. Were there some issues I had with the film? Yes, it's not perfect. But it's easily better than 80% of the shit studios try to feed us.

As for V/H/S... haven't seen it yet, but I've heard it's the shakiest and shittiest-looking of any found footage movie out there.

Rival11
09-08-12, 01:22 PM
hahahahahaha - bro, I was too and accidentally deleted it :lol: and I'm pissed cause it was actually a decent reply...it would have pleased slop for sure. I officially paid 44 bucks for this as well because my girl decided to buy it in HDX by accident when I had already purchased it in HD - she passed out before the flick and passed out after.........double whammy kids.

DaveyJoe
09-08-12, 01:25 PM
hahahahahaha - bro, I was too and accidentally deleted it :lol: and I'm pissed cause it was actually a decent reply...it would have pleased slop for sure. I officially paid 44 bucks for this as well because my girl decided to buy it in HDX by accident when I had already purchased it in HD - she passed out before the flick and passed out after.........double whammy kids.

Yeah, it made sense to me and kept the tone of the thread pleasant. Since I was drunk, I was worried my post would come across as harsh, but your response was totally cool. Then I came back today and was like "Fuck... did I imagine that??" :lol:

Rival11
09-08-12, 01:27 PM
I just did the same thing in a different thread a couple of weeks ago....I wasn't drinking though..I was tired as hell and kept deleting multiple posts cause I though it was the same post that wouldn't delete. Maybe I am getting too old :lol:

DaveyJoe
09-08-12, 01:27 PM
You fucking hipster. ;)

Rival11
09-08-12, 01:28 PM

Why So Blu?
09-08-12, 01:34 PM
Don't get your skinny jeans in a bunch.

Rival11
09-08-12, 01:36 PM
Put your fedora on before you speak to me like that.

DaveyJoe
09-08-12, 01:36 PM
Put down the Pabst Blue Ribbon and think about what you're saying.

Rival11
09-08-12, 01:38 PM
:lol: come on, they don't drink that stuff do they?

DaveyJoe
09-08-12, 01:41 PM
http://i.qkme.me/1gq8.jpg

http://www.thechurchofnopeople.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/hipster-beard-pbr.jpg

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/assets_c/2010/07/beer20_opt-thumb-550x367.jpg

http://brobomb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/hipster-pbr1.jpg

Rival11
09-08-12, 01:45 PM
For the love of.....those are the extreme ones though right?...the ones that blur the line between hippie, the kind that all you have to do is hide your money under the bar of soap and rest assured it will never be stolen.