DVD Talk
Chevy Chase Attacks His Own Show, Calls Community 'A F*cking Mediocre Sitcom' [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Chevy Chase Attacks His Own Show, Calls Community 'A F*cking Mediocre Sitcom'

movieking
04-10-12, 11:44 AM
Rather than post in the episode threads, which is where the first part of this story was posted, I figured I'd create a new thread. This is from Radaronline:

Audio of a new Chevy Chase rant has surfaced, in which the Community star works himself into a frenzy on a voicemail complaining to the show's creator Dan Harmon about his philosophical differences with the NBC comedy -- one he calls a "f*cking mediocre sitcom" that "isnít funny.Ē

In the rant acquired by Celebuzz, Chevy begins mild-mannered, discussing what he understands to be a comedic miscommunication between he and Harmon.

"The other part of the disconnect is obviously, you don't get my humor at all, or what it is I do that's funny, that actually makes people laugh," Chase says on the tape, as first obtained by Celebuzz. "There are two choices. One is the story line -- like everybody gives a sh*t about the f*cking story when they don't even know who the characters are -- or there's, 'Make people laugh.'"

Chase continues, "It's cut down. For what? So people can follow the story line between Joel [McHale] and Gillian [Jacobs]? And about love affairs and kissing? Come on man, you're missing the f*cking point. This is not my kind of comedy. I thought you hired me for what I can do that's funny! You've got to give me some range."

Chase builds up to a crescendo in his complaints, reminiscent of a Clark Griswold meltdown from the National Lampoon's films of his peak.

The link, with audio (http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/04/chevy-chase-attack-show-dan-harmon-community-voicemail)

This is the first part of the feud story:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/chevy-chase-in-feud-with-community-creator-dan-harmon/

ďItís just a f*cking mediocre sitcom!" Chase said. "I want people to laugh and this isnít funny! It ainít funny to me because Iím 67-years-old and Iíve been doing this a long time, and Iíve been making a lot of people laugh a lot better than this.Ē

Timber
04-10-12, 11:51 AM
It's been a long time since Chase has been funny. I'm not sure I'd just take his word on knowing what makes people laugh.

At some point he became Bill Cosby and started to take himself way to seriously.

Michael Corvin
04-10-12, 11:52 AM
I can't say I disagree about his role in the show. It's clear he was cast for the name draw, but they haven't done shit with Pearce's character. He still has a moment or two once in a blue moon, but he's largely wasted.

The best Pearce stuff is/was the awkward, almost "Office"-ish, old white man racist bits, but they've mostly shied away from that.

wmansir
04-10-12, 11:55 AM
Was the lame ice cream machine bit we got on the show recently due to Harmon giving Chevy some rope... I mean, "range" to do some funny?

Goat3001
04-10-12, 12:07 PM
Yeah Chevy Chase has been around and back in the business and has had some iconic comedic roles but at this point he's just a crotchety old man. They need to get rid of his character and let Chevy go.

But that doesn't mean Harmon isn't in the wrong too. It's his show and he needs to be above this. It's on him to either reign Chase in or work on getting him off the show. Between lashing out at Chevy in front of his family and obviously leaking this voicemail, he's not doing a very good job of keeping his show under control. As much as it sounds like working with Chevy Chase sucks, Dan Harmon doesn't exactly sound like a delight either.

Obey The D
04-10-12, 12:17 PM
I'm assuming the voicemail is from when season 2 was airing since he brings up being in the wheelchair. If Harmon released this, I don't know what his point is. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Chevy is a douche and burns bridges with everyone that he works with. Just look at his comedy central roast as proof of that.

dino88
04-10-12, 12:21 PM
You've got to love the dedication to this publicity stunt. It seems to be working.

RichC2
04-10-12, 12:26 PM
You've got to love the dedication to this publicity stunt. It seems to be working.

Yep, ratings were down .4 last week, from 1.7 to 1.3. Working great.

conscience
04-10-12, 12:26 PM
Chevy Chase will never not be funny. He's just been unlucky enough to have been in a lot of garbage.

I haven't watched the show since the first season and I'm surprised he hasn't complained outright before because he doesn't shy away from expressing his feelings given his behavior in the past (guy can be a total asshole but it's in line with his comedy). On the show, he always had the lamest lines and scenarios then. Being one of the funniest people on the planet, he deserves better - too bad his assholeishness has deterred his career.

But the creator seems quite the douchebag asshole as well.

RichC2
04-10-12, 12:38 PM
They deserve each other, Chase is best served on the show when he's the villain, ie - D&D episode.

The show is nerdy/geeky to the extreme (the format changes, movie/tv show references, dungeons and dragons, parallel universe plotlines, KFC spaceship simulators, actually turning the entire student body into zombies for an episode played entirely to ABBAs greatest hits), it isn't a good fit for Chase but his character fits in well.

Michael Corvin
04-10-12, 12:47 PM
But that doesn't mean Harmon isn't in the wrong too. It's his show and he needs to be above this. It's on him to either reign Chase in or work on getting him off the show. Between lashing out at Chevy in front of his family and obviously leaking this voicemail, he's not doing a very good job of keeping his show under control. As much as it sounds like working with Chevy Chase sucks, Dan Harmon doesn't exactly sound like a delight either.

Agreed on all of this too. Harmon is acting like a child who just got twitter and facebook not a show runner.

Double_Oh_7
04-10-12, 01:12 PM
We all know Chevy doesn't have the best judgment, so....

tommyp007
04-10-12, 01:19 PM
I'm assuming the voicemail is from when season 2 was airing since he brings up being in the wheelchair. If Harmon released this, I don't know what his point is. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Chevy is a douche and burns bridges with everyone that he works with. Just look at his comedy central roast as proof of that.

I would love to see all of that. I can only find bits and pieces online.

TGM
04-10-12, 01:32 PM
he's right, the show is not funny.

Ayre
04-10-12, 01:54 PM
but I don't get thje appeal
Just a bit ironic that OscarBluth is not getting the appeal of hipster comedy?

It's all about making the viewer feel part of the show with inside jokes and clever situations that would only be identifiable to a small cross section (D&D). Full of self-mocking/loathing (Britta). Portlandia does the a similar thing.

TomOpus
04-10-12, 01:54 PM

I would love to see all of that. I can only find bits and pieces online.It was painful to watch. Here's an excerpt from EW.com about the event:

What happened next was so awful that people who were there -- from audience members to Comedy Central staffers -- still have difficulty talking about it. Chevy Chase walked on stage and realized that almost none of his friends had shown up. He was led to a red overstuffed chair, where he blinked into the television cameras -- first stunned, then angry, then devastated -- as various basic-cable personalities and B-list comics marched to the podium and trashed him. Total strangers telling him that his movies were crap, his talk show was a comedy abortion, he had never been funny. Total strangers giggling about his addiction to drugs. There was no warmth in their comments. No real affection. Because after years of silence from Chase -- and hundreds of thousands of words written about his behavior during the late '70s and early '80s -- a consensus had emerged about the man. Everyone agreed without even having to think about it: Chevy Chase was a bastard.

Meglos
04-10-12, 02:24 PM
So...next season Chase will be replaced by Charlie Sheen?

conscience
04-10-12, 03:04 PM
Just a bit ironic that OscarBluth is not getting the appeal of hipster comedy?

It's all about making the viewer feel part of the show with inside jokes and clever situations that would only be identifiable to a small cross section (D&D). Full of self-mocking/loathing (Britta). Portlandia does the a similar thing.

I love Arrested Development. It grabbed hold of me on the first episode. I did not love Community and quit it after season 1.

CaptainMarvel
04-10-12, 03:09 PM
Chevy Chase will never not be funny. He's just been unlucky enough to have been in a lot of garbage.

We're bordering on "no true Scotsman" territory here... I'm not sure there's a way to discern if Chevy is sometimes unfunny because of the material or because he's just losing it, but he most definitely is unfunny at times, whatever the cause.

madcougar
04-10-12, 03:20 PM
Yep, ratings were down .4 last week, from 1.7 to 1.3. Working great.

EVERYTHING was down last Thursday. Many people were off on Friday and a long weekend usually screws the pooch. And for the record, Community was the highest rated show on NBC for the night.

madcougar
04-10-12, 03:22 PM
I remember reading a story about the time when Chase's late night show was going to debut on Fox where he took shots at David Letterman and spoke very highly of his own comedic skills. The guy overvalues himself tremendously.

And for the record, I'm a fan of the guy. I just think he needs a reality check STAT.

DVD Josh
04-10-12, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't mind Sheen on this show, I think it could be a good vehicle for him.

You know what would be funny? Sheen playing Rick Vaughn, going to Greendale after his MLB career.

Derrich
04-10-12, 04:19 PM
This is really a low rent move by Harmon. This tape must've been from years ago because the storyline between Joel and Gillian is long over. And Chevy ain't wrong. Community is funny but they've never given Pierce anything to do and each time he gets a taste of a story, they drop it.

D

andicus
04-10-12, 05:08 PM

I haven't watched the show since the first season and I'm surprised he hasn't complained outright before because he doesn't shy away from expressing his feelings given his behavior in the past (guy can be a total asshole but it's in line with his comedy). On the show, he always had the lamest lines and scenarios then. Being one of the funniest people on the planet, he deserves better - too bad his assholeishness has deterred his career.

But the creator seems quite the douchebag asshole as well.

I couldn't disagree more, but too each his or her own...

Supermallet
04-10-12, 05:47 PM
This is a good summary of Chevy's behavior over the years: http://gawker.com/5899097/hes-not-chevy-hes-an-asshole-a-history-of-chevy-chases-horrific-behavior

Mr. Salty
04-10-12, 06:10 PM
Community is funny but they've never given Pierce anything to do and each time he gets a taste of a story, they drop it.
Early on, they did. But maybe the producers and writers got tired of dealing with Chevy, so they started focusing on other characters.

Bill Needle
04-10-12, 06:35 PM
Just when I think Chevy can't get any more out of touch...

...he totally redeems himself!

Seriously, I can't see the point of releasing this now except for Harmon wanting fans of the show to hate on Chase. Anyone not a fan of the show will simply shrug at Chase expressing (profanely) what is thought to be common knowledge.

chuckd21
04-10-12, 06:39 PM
Allow me to list Chevy's last 10 years of film work:

Not Another Not Another Movie
Hot Tub Time Machine
Jack and the Beanstalk
Stay Cool
Zoom
Funny Money
Doogal
Goose on the Loose
Ellie Parker
Bad Meat
The Karate Dog (TV movie)
Our Italian Husband
Vacuums

I know he's saved his money over the years and doesn't need the money, but if it's a decent gig he wants, he should shut his fucking mouth.

dino88
04-10-12, 06:46 PM
Wow. I've only seen one of those films.

Astrofan
04-10-12, 06:56 PM
As one who watched, and enjoyed Chevy, since the first years of SNL--I've never found one thing he did after it worthwhile except for Fletch.

TomOpus
04-10-12, 07:36 PM
As one who watched, and enjoyed Chevy, since the first years of SNL--I've never found one thing he did after it worthwhile except for Fletch.Not even the National Lampoon's Vacation movie?

PopcornTreeCt
04-10-12, 08:04 PM
He sounds like a major douchebag. But Community hasn't been funny since it came back so he may have a point, at least now in 2012.

DVD Josh
04-10-12, 08:48 PM
Chevy is sort of useless on the show. It would work fine without him. He's the unneeded seventh wheel. Hell, after the Dean and Chang, he's more like the ninth.

kstublen
04-10-12, 09:03 PM
I love Community, but they do need to give Chevy a little more to do. That said, Donald Glover is clearly the breakout star of the show. Every time he is on screen I'm laughing. He's funnier than Chevy has been in years.

Charlie Goose
04-10-12, 10:45 PM
Never watched the show, but Chevy Chase has been a miserable, obnoxious, unfunny prick for his entire career.

My Other Self
04-11-12, 01:40 AM
The problem with Chevy is that he doesn't understand that he was funny. He hasn't been in quite some time. He's out of touch with reality. I'll admit that it was him that drew me to Community in the first place. There was a blurb in the Fall Preview TV Guide for the show, and it mentioned Joel McHale from The Soup and Chevy Chase starring in this sitcom about a community college.

Even though I liked McHale, I wouldn't have watched it had it not been for Chevy to bring me there to begin with. They got that right. I just thought he finally had the sense to realize that he is in a quality program, especially this late in his career, where he doesn't really have to do much. It's funny but as the show has gone on, his character is now one of my least-favorites. He doesn't add much of anything.

Isn't this a step up over his direct-to-video schlock and movies like "Snow Day"? I remember seeing that trailer and thinking wow, this is what Chevy Chase's career has come to. He should be so lucky that he's still relevant nearly 40 years since he broke out as a star -- especially since he hasn't had a genuinely universally liked comedy since 1989.

I could defend the guy but I know his past, and his overall attitude. He's a schmuck. His comments may be directed towards the writing but I would think casts kind of band together when it comes to shows. He seems like the lone wolf.

RichC2
04-11-12, 07:49 AM
Just because the jokes/situations are inside doesn't automatically mean they're clever. And comparing Arrested Development to Community is like comparing Snatch to Leverage. :lol:

Fred & Carrie emote in a natural way on Portlandia. Community has boxed their characters into stoic puppets that want to be real boys/girls. Inserting those characters into a tongue in cheek story arc is an unnatural fit.

Erm, no, no they do not. Love Portlandia, but there is nothing natural about it.

Xander
04-11-12, 08:54 AM
Just when I think Chevy can't get any more out of touch...

...he totally redeems himself!

Seriously, I can't see the point of releasing this now except for Harmon wanting fans of the show to hate on Chase. Anyone not a fan of the show will simply shrug at Chase expressing (profanely) what is thought to be common knowledge.

I don't think Harmon released this one? He kinda seems like a douche, but I would think he would've learned his lesson with the last one. :shrug:

Anyway, Chevy hadn't been relevant for about 20 years until Community came along. He should shut his fucking non-funny mouth and keep getting paychecks.

Or if he can't, they should kill him off at the end of the season. I still love Community, and I don't want it to go down the tubes because of Chevy's typical prickish behavior.

Gizmo
04-11-12, 09:21 AM
Allow me to list Chevy's last 10 years of film work:

Not Another Not Another Movie
Hot Tub Time Machine
Jack and the Beanstalk
Stay Cool
Zoom
Funny Money
Doogal
Goose on the Loose
Ellie Parker
Bad Meat
The Karate Dog (TV movie)
Our Italian Husband
Vacuums

I know he's saved his money over the years and doesn't need the money, but if it's a decent gig he wants, he should shut his fucking mouth.

I've only seen - and even heard of - the first two.

Timber
04-11-12, 09:29 AM
Geez, I thik I've only heard of Hot Tub Time Machine on that list and Chevy was the least funny part of that movie.

Michael Corvin
04-11-12, 09:42 AM
Geez, I thik I've only heard of Hot Tub Time Machine on that list and Chevy was the least funny part of that movie.

:lol: It wasn't a great movie but yeah, Chase was easily the worst thing about it.

Also the only one I've seen/heard of.

Goat3001
04-11-12, 09:47 AM
I don't think Harmon released this one? He kinda seems like a douche, but I would think he would've learned his lesson with the last one. :shrug:

It was a voicemail. A voicemail that was meant for one person to hear. Maybe Harmon didn't leak it to the media but he obviously told enough people and allowed it to get recorded.

GoVegan
04-11-12, 11:03 AM
It seems Chevy's main complaint about the show has been that there's not enough Chevy. I'm not sure that's really the key to improving the show.

chuckd21
04-11-12, 11:23 AM
It seems Chevy's main complaint about the show has been that there's not enough Chevy. I'm not sure that's really the key to improving the show.

Chevy still thinks that everything he did in 1975 would still be funny today. Falling down, not being able to stop an ice cream machine from dispensing ice cream, etc. He doesn't understand that comedy changes, and is nothing like what it was in his era. He also has never understood the concept of an ensemble. He thinks Community should feature him in every scene, falling down or bumbling in some way.

orangecrush
04-11-12, 12:33 PM
Chevy still thinks that everything he did in 1975 would still be funny today. Falling down, not being able to stop an ice cream machine from dispensing ice cream, etc. He doesn't understand that comedy changes, and is nothing like what it was in his era. He also has never understood the concept of an ensemble. He thinks Community should feature him in every scene, falling down or bumbling in some way.Falling down is often funny.

chuckd21
04-11-12, 12:36 PM
Falling down is often funny.

True, but what works when you're 25 doesn't work when you're 65. Jerry Lewis, for example.

Timber
04-11-12, 12:53 PM
I mean we've all been in the situation where teh ice cream machine won't stop, it's funny each and every time it's happened to me...

Rob V
04-11-12, 01:17 PM
Chevy was last funny when he kicked the reindeer and karate chopped Santa Claus in Christmas Vacation.

Crocker Jarmen
04-11-12, 02:02 PM
It seems Chevy's main complaint about the show has been that there's not enough Chevy.

And when Chevy is not onscreen the other characters should all be saying, "Where's Chevy?"

PenguinJoe
01-27-13, 01:22 PM
Damn Harmon and Jason Sudekis prank called Chevy.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/dan-harmon-and-jason-sudeikis-crank-called-chevy-chase.html

Cellar Door
01-27-13, 02:20 PM
^Sounds like they have a really weird relationship.

creekdipper
01-28-13, 08:29 AM
If Chase starts ragging on his own show again, they should just replace him with Angus T. Jones.