Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Silent Night, Deadly Night Remake Starring Malcolm McDowell(Dir.Steven C. Miller '12)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Silent Night, Deadly Night Remake Starring Malcolm McDowell(Dir.Steven C. Miller '12)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by LosingMyMind; 03-22-14 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-09-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Silent Night, Deadly Night Remake Starring Malcolm McDowell(Dir.Steven C. Miller

Did you have a Malcolm McDowell Google alert go off today?
Old 04-10-12, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Silent Night, Deadly Night Remake Starring Malcolm McDowell(Dir.Steven C. Miller

For the original, aside from buying the DVD (used copies going for $25+), does anyone know somewhere online I can pay to rent it? Not on Netflix, iTunes, or Amazon. I just want to check this out.
Old 04-10-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll wait patiently for the remake of part II.

"Garbage Day!"
Old 04-10-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched all four one day several years ago. The second includes probably 30 minutes of flashbacks to the first. The third includes 45-60 minutes of flashbacks to the first two. The last one only seemed to have about 15 minutes of new content. Terrible.
Old 04-10-12, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
I watched all four one day several years ago. The second includes probably 30 minutes of flashbacks to the first. The third includes 45-60 minutes of flashbacks to the first two. The last one only seemed to have about 15 minutes of new content. Terrible.
Weren't there 5? And weren't the last two completely different movies?
Old 04-10-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe, I could totally be remembering incorrectly.
Old 04-10-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
Weren't there 5? And weren't the last two completely different movies?
There were definitely 5. I've only seen the first two. I suppose I'll check the others out someday.
Old 04-11-12, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Silent Night Deadly Night ranks pretty high on the list of worst franchises of all time. Maybe even the top spot.
Old 04-11-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Of the 5 movies the first is great, the second is pure gold for all the wrong reasons and part 5 is okay if you're drunk. 3 wasn't very good and 4 was plain awful.
Old 04-11-12, 04:28 PM

I hope this leads to a re-release of the original SNDN double feature. I can never find a copy in my price range.
Old 04-11-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original isn't a masterpiece, but probably one of the better 80's low budget slasher flicks.

Part 2 has some unintentional humor, but from the theater scene on, it turns into an intentional black comedy. According to the DVD commentary with the filmmakers.

Never really cared much for 3.

I rented the fourth one years ago, but don't remember anything about it.

I remember thinking 5 was decent.
Old 11-13-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks alright.
Old 11-13-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm looking forward to it. Reminds me of Trick 'R Treat, but Christmas.
Old 11-27-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Just rented this last night and watched it today.

Not bad. I thought it was much better than the original. The original was a POS from what I recall. Unfortunately there was no gratuitous sex and there was only 1 topless with a really skinny chick running & being chased who wasn't even that good looking. The end result of that scene was cool though. There were quite a few gruesome kills.

The cast was decent. Jaime King was a pretty good lead. Malcolm McDowell was funny as well as a prick. Surprised to see Donal Logue from Terriers on here as well. The production value wasn't bad either. The original was really low budget and cheap looking. This IMO had the production of most newer B horror movies like My Bloody Valentine (which also starred King) and the recent F13th update.

Okay, there was a big twist at the end that I'm not sure I interpreted correctly:

Spoiler:
Was Aubrey (the deputy) the daughter of the Santa Claus killer? At the end it in a flashback sequence, it showed Aubrey's father as the sheriff shooting the killer leading him to getting burned, then the camera panned to his truck where a young girl was sitting inside.

If you like horror movies like this, it's a decent rental.
Old 12-05-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike UFC
I hope this leads to a re-release of the original SNDN double feature. I can never find a copy in my price range.
Ask and you shall receive! I'm really excited about this too, since Part 2 is the only one I'm missing!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Old 12-06-12, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Loved the original, can't wait to check this out....
Old 12-06-12, 10:35 AM

Really hope to watch this over the weekend. Liked the original a lot. Hopefully this will be at least pretty good.
Old 12-06-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm going to check it out this weekend for sure...heard it's not half bad.
Old 12-06-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently found out there is a "garbage day" reference, so now I must watch this.
Old 12-06-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Okay, there was a big twist at the end that I'm not sure I interpreted correctly:

Spoiler:
Was Aubrey (the deputy) the daughter of the Santa Claus killer? At the end it in a flashback sequence, it showed Aubrey's father as the sheriff shooting the killer leading him to getting burned, then the camera panned to his truck where a young girl was sitting inside.
Spoiler:
Killer Claus survived. That was him sitting in the truck at the end driving away. His dad was the one that dressed up like Santa and killed his mom, while he sat in the truck and watched. Jamie King's dad killed the killer's dad.
Old 12-07-12, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Not amazing, but I thought the film was pretty fun. Enjoyed the level of gore, sleaze and the updated Santa costume.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I recently found out there is a "garbage day" reference, so now I must watch this.
There is! As well as a nod to the original film as well.

Last edited by asianxcore; 12-07-12 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-10-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The first is still my favorite by many, many miles, but this was a very solid effort. Not perfect, but very enjoyable and definitely going on my yearly holiday viewing list. I was impressed and delighted by the total devotion to the holiday theme and brutality of it all. I was also surprised that it was relatively well shot and didn't look low budget at all. I was expecting it to be more Asylum than a movie that very well could've played in the theaters.
Old 12-10-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I thought it was awesome and a lot of fun.