Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What camera tripod do I need?

danwiz
04-08-12, 06:35 PM
I already have 2 camera tripods - both Velbon. One is short and I use it to shoot down on the ground macro flower shots. The large one is a nice tall one and I use it primarily to shoot the moon and stars - this is the problem. At the maximum zoom range of my camera the moon more than fills the frame, so I have to zoom down a bit to get the entire moon in the frame. Then I use the 10 second shutter delay button so that when the shutter clicks all wiggling has stopped. But, this tripod drifts a tiny bit and quite often when the camera fires, the moon is a little bit out of the frame. I need a tripod that DOES NOT drift, one that stays exactly where I put. I would also like it to have "micro tuning" if there is such a tripod. Know what I mean? Turn a knob for large movement, turn a different knob for tiny movement.

Yes, I realize that the moon moves - of course this is not what I am talking about.

chino77
04-10-12, 11:03 AM
see if you can remove the head on the tripod. you might only need a better quality head. as for micro tuning ive only seen that on telescopes...but it could exist for cameras, im not a tripod expert. also are you sure the moon isnt moving? when zoomed in that close it doesnt take much movement for it to go slightly out of frame. test it out on something that doesnt move.

danwiz
04-10-12, 06:56 PM
Thanks chino77. Yes, the head is removable - I'll have to do some research and see if I can find a micro-adjustable tripod head.

Oh, as I said in my OP - I know the moon moves and this is not what I am talking about. What I am referring to is definitely the tripod, I have experimented with objects which I know are not moving.

dvdsteve2000
04-10-12, 07:46 PM
What kind of camera do you have?

Just curious...I can't help with your tripod question, sorry.

zuffy
04-11-12, 10:12 AM
It would help if you can provide the model of your tripod and camera. Maybe your tripod or the head can't support the weight of your camera with the big lens.

danwiz
04-11-12, 06:47 PM
The Camera is a Canon PowerShot SX40 HS and the tripod's I have are adequate for this camera. They are Velbon models which are only sold in Japan, so the model number would not help you even if I could find it.

dvdsteve2000
04-11-12, 06:58 PM
I'm using a cheapo SunPak 5800D tripod ($25 at Overstock.com) with a Canon T3i and a (heavy) 55-250mm zoom and it's as steady as she goes when taking moon photos:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5447/6897347260_d250b18018_b.jpg

danwiz
04-13-12, 06:26 AM
That's magnificent dvdsteve2000. Very, very fine!

dvdsteve2000
04-13-12, 09:41 PM
Thanks, I'm saving up to get an L lens (100-400mm), the pics I've seen taken with that lens make my shot look like an old Polaroid shot.

chino77
04-16-12, 06:14 AM
Thanks chino77. Yes, the head is removable - I'll have to do some research and see if I can find a micro-adjustable tripod head.

Oh, as I said in my OP - I know the moon moves and this is not what I am talking about. What I am referring to is definitely the tripod, I have experimented with objects which I know are not moving.

have you ever used a ballhead? one will prob make you not even care about micro adjustment. they are so much better than the more common style.

danwiz
04-17-12, 06:35 AM
Thanks for that idea chino77. I am on the road for a week right now - very tight schedule and too much to do, but when I get home I'll look into it.