DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : New Wifi printer ??'s

ds6161
04-08-12, 12:03 PM
I'm needing a new printer and I have been looking at some with wifi .
My question, do you have to use a router with them?
I have a Sprint USB 595 aircard used with a cradlepoint 350 to get internet to laptops & tablets.
So I need a printer that can do direct wifi connection...

Vipper II
04-08-12, 02:32 PM
It probably depends on the printer's manufacturer; however, I typed "cradlepoint 350 wireless printer" into The Google and found that some brands do apparently work with it. I guess it makes sense since the printer connects to an access point and that's what the cradlepoint is creating. Still, I'd recommend narrowing it down to a few models and then doing some additional research to see if they support it.

Jay G.
04-08-12, 11:42 PM
The cradlepoint is a router. So as long as the printer is connected to the same cradlepoint wifi as the PCs, it should work the same as if you were using any other type of router.

shadowhawk2020
04-09-12, 07:09 AM
Just from a pure printer standpoint. If you can find a Brother printer that connects that would be the way I go. Good quality generic ink costs next to nothing for them.

TheBang
04-09-12, 07:32 PM
The cradlepoint is a router. So as long as the printer is connected to the same cradlepoint wifi as the PCs, it should work the same as if you were using any other type of router.

This. The Cradlepoint has a wireless access point built-in, and your printer is just another WiFi client, just like one of your computers. Just join your printer up to the WiFi network, they same way you would a computer, and you'll be all set.

ds6161
04-09-12, 08:05 PM
OK.. I think I'm missing something. My CP 350 works like a hot spot...
My laptop sees the internet, my tablet sees the internet, but they do not see each other.
Thus it is not a true network.
So unless I've missed something the printer would see the hotspot but not the other devices??
Thankz

TheBang
04-10-12, 07:58 PM
I'm having trouble finding the CTR350 user guide or specifications, but from some of what I've seen on, say, Best Buy's site, it looks like it supports two different WiFi networks. One is a private one, and one is a public one. If you're using the public one, I bet that it probably segregates the WiFi clients so that they can't talk to each other, for security purposes. You probably want to disable the public network and just make sure all your clients are connected to the private network.