Old 04-08-12, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Borgias -- Season Premiere -- "The Borgia Bull" -- 4/08/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-04-08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A cache of long-lost Italian artifacts is discovered, inspiring Pope Alexander VI to throw a pagan-theme feast for the people of Rome in the Season 2 premiere. Meanwhile, Alexander's mistress discovers he's taken another lover; and Cardinal Della Rovere settles into the simple life of a parish priest but becomes unsettled when Cesare attempts to assassinate him.

10 episode 2nd season

Promo:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1538764407001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1538764407001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 04-10-12, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Borgias -- Season Premiere -- "The Borgia Bull" -- 4/08/12

Nobody wants to talk about this show? This episode blew my head off. In the early episodes of the first season I thought Jeremy Irons was phoning it in. He didn't hit his stride until half way through the season. Now he strides through with all he's got. The whole cast is great and the production values are astounding from the lush fabrics, colors and textures of the Vatican and upper-class homes to the horror and filth of the torture chamber and Naples in diseased decay.

Also enjoy the complex plots and plotting, ala Game of Thrones. This show is the total package.
Old 04-10-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

my favorite character is Alfonso of Naples. I hope the King of France didn't off him at the end. Cesare is pretty cool too. I wished he would have offed della Rovere when he had him immobilized. It was a good start to the season.
Old 04-11-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

This pope sure knows how to throw a party.

The scenes with the French King and Alfonso were great.

The whole cast is great and the production values are astounding from the lush fabrics, colors and textures of the Vatican and upper-class homes to the horror and filth of the torture chamber and Naples in diseased decay.
That's what draws me besides Irons - the production values...so strong. Very realistic looking.
Old 04-20-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really need a character guide for this show too.

Just got around to watching the first episode. A few questions:

- Why the animosity between Cesare and Juan to the point where they are trying to kill each other? I don't recall last season but something must have happened I'm forgetting.

- Why is the King intent on torturing and killing the giggling Naples guy? Just because he wants Naples?
Old 04-20-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

It seems like the character of the younger son changed completely from one season to the next. In season 1, he was more of a womanizing, spoiled kid. Now they're making him to be much more of a grown man. Even his voice sounds different. It's like the actor went through puberty during the off season.
Old 04-20-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I really need a character guide for this show too.

Just got around to watching the first episode. A few questions:

- Why the animosity between Cesare and Juan to the point where they are trying to kill each other? I don't recall last season but something must have happened I'm forgetting.

- Why is the King intent on torturing and killing the giggling Naples guy? Just because he wants Naples?
I think there is growing animus between Cesare and Juan (at least on the show ... I have no idea if this was true historically) because Cesare has always wanted to be a military leader while their father selected Juan to take that role. After Juan's failures on the battlefield last season, Cesare is trying to take on that role and Juan is very resentful of that.

Alfonso escaped before the King of France came to Naples. But, I think he left diseased bodies as biological warfare in the castle before he left.
Old 04-20-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to have to check out Borgias, ever since we added HBO/Showtime to go along with network/cable, so many shows..so little time.
Old 04-20-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Alfonso escaped before the King of France came to Naples. But, I think he left diseased bodies as biological warfare in the castle before he left.
That's correct; all the dead bodies they left behind started a pandemic in Naples and throughout France's army that went there. It was the reason the King hunted him down.
Old 04-20-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I am going to have to check out Borgias, ever since we added HBO/Showtime to go along with network/cable, so many shows..so little time.
I'm continually impressed with the number of people who watch shows live in their regular time slots. (Not insinuating you do.) I don't know how they do it. I record a half dozen shows on the Tivo and watch whichever one I feel like watching when I have time. That's often why I'm a day or three late to the thread. I do try and watch Game of Thrones on Sunday night but not usually until 10 or so.
Old 04-20-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So originally the Cardinal when to the French King and got him to invade Rome for what? Naples?

But then the Pope convinced the King not to take Rome in exchange for what? Naples?

How was Naples theirs to give?
Old 04-20-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I'm continually impressed with the number of people who watch shows live in their regular time slots. (Not insinuating you do.) I don't know how they do it. I record a half dozen shows on the Tivo and watch whichever one I feel like watching when I have time. That's often why I'm a day or three late to the thread. I do try and watch Game of Thrones on Sunday night but not usually until 10 or so.
Oh, there are only a few shows we watch in real time (Game of thrones at 9pm), even shows that we watch the same night we usually watch 30 minutes to a hour later.

Mostly for the fact of speeding through commericals, we watch everything at least 30 minutes into it..or 15 minutes so we can skip commericals