Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Inexpensive High Speed Internet Recommendations?

DJariya
04-07-12, 05:13 AM
Hey Guys

I could use some suggestions regarding my High Speed Internet Access.

Right now, I'm currently using Time Warner Cable Internet and paying $29.99 per month. I signed up for Time Warner roughly 1 year ago after my previous provider AT&T DSL decided to do the 150 GB cap.

The $29.99 plan I have with Time Warner expires after next month and I was told that my monthly rate would balloon to $52.99 per month, which I cannot afford. That's way too expensive for Internet access.

What other options do I have? I tried talking to someone from Time Warner billing last night about it and they said there is absolutely no way they can continue to give me the $29.99 rate after my promo expires. Sounded like bullshit to me. She told me to call back after my bill jumps up to $52.99 and they can probably talk about it with me then. Anyone here have experience with Time Warner and this type of promo? Did they give you another new rate after some discussions?

Is there any other providers that have High Speed Internet access for $30 or less that isn't a 1-year only promo?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And no, I don't really want to re-sign up with AT&T, especially with the cap. Their DSL was slow as shit during peak hours in the day and night.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
04-07-12, 11:41 AM
Call in and cancel the cable with an effective date a month out. They might offer you something once you are serious about canceling. If you can't find anyt better, then you could always reinstate it. Fios is a good option, but I suspect that it isn't available in your area. Another option would be to use a 4G smartphone as tether, if that meets your needs. I know Verizon does not throttle 4GLTE and if you have unlimited data, then you can get the unlimited hotspot for $30.

Jay G.
04-07-12, 10:03 PM
I assume you don't have TV service with TWC? See if they have any "double play" specials, sometimes having both TV and internet with them can be cheaper than just internet.

edstein
04-07-12, 10:15 PM
Maybe see if Netzero dsl is in your area. They have 6.0meg for $32.

DJariya
04-08-12, 02:03 AM
I assume you don't have TV service with TWC? See if they have any "double play" specials, sometimes having both TV and internet with them can be cheaper than just internet.

Nope. I have Directv for my TV service.

I download alot from my Directv box for On Demand movies/shows and I also stream from Netflix and Hulu through my XBox 360, so I need a pretty fast service.

TWC's speed has been really good and satisfies my Internet needs, but I really can't afford to spend over $50 a month for Internet, so if TWC fizzles out getting a new deal, I hope there is another option non-AT&T.

TheBigDave
04-08-12, 02:48 AM

+1

I don't know about TWC. But there are some ridiculous bundle deals at Comcast. I had Cable + HBO + Internet. Called them to see what changes I could make to get my bill lowered. They switched me to a Cable + All Premium Channels + Internet bundle and I pay $40 less each month.

Kdogg
04-08-12, 08:09 PM
If worst comes to worst cancel your service at the end of the term and go without service for a month. You can sign up again if they are still running the promo as a new customer. I know it's worked for people in the past but it's not 100%. You my try to sign up again under some else's name in your household.

kefrank
04-09-12, 09:52 AM
Nope. I have Directv for my TV service.

I download alot from my Directv box for On Demand movies/shows and I also stream from Netflix and Hulu through my XBox 360, so I need a pretty fast service.

TWC's speed has been really good and satisfies my Internet needs, but I really can't afford to spend over $50 a month for Internet, so if TWC fizzles out getting a new deal, I hope there is another option non-AT&T.
At the risk of raining on the savings parade, you may just have to pay more to cover your "needs." I don't know of any high speed internet providers in my area that offer decent service at non-promotional rates less than $40 to 50/mo. If you really need it, I suspect you can find a way to adjust your budget to accommodate it. You will also save yourself time in the long run having to change providers and haggle for lower rates, which you can instead spend enjoying downloaded content.

Randy Miller III
04-09-12, 11:20 AM
My home internet is hardly the fastest (Verizon 3.0 Mbps DSL)...but it's a dry loop connection, which means I'm connected even without shelling out for a land line. $34.99 a month works for me, especially since I don't really do any streaming or large file downloads. They're actually not offering this option to customers after next month, but if you're already signed up you can still get it.

Honestly, though, the main reason I went with Verizon's dry loop service was because I didn't want to bundle (no cable, no land line, etc.) and the only other stand-alone package (Clear) still isn't available within a three-block radius in my neighborhood. Even though I'm a seven-minute drive from the friggin' State Capitol.

TheBang
04-09-12, 08:27 PM
Call your Time Warner Cable office and ask them about switching your ISP to Earthlink. They share the same cable network as Road Runner (but Time Warner reps handle the sales for signing up customers to it. They'll never tell you about it over Road Runner though, unless you ask). You probably won't even have to change out your cable modem or anything. They'll be able to do the switch over the phone. You'll probably be able to get some good introductory rate with Earthlink for 6 months or something like that. After some period of time, after your Earthlink introductory period has passed, you should be able to call TWC back to switch back to Road Runner and sign up with them as a "new" customer again with new promotional pricing.

The only thing you'll lose is your Road Runner services, like your e-mail address. I'm assuming you probably don't use that anyway, and just have Gmail or something.

DJariya
04-09-12, 08:36 PM
Thanks Todd. Good suggestion. I might consider it.

Yes, I use Gmail and not the Road Runner e-mail.

kefrank
04-10-12, 12:36 PM
Call your Time Warner Cable office and ask them about switching your ISP to Earthlink. They share the same cable network as Road Runner (but Time Warner reps handle the sales for signing up customers to it. They'll never tell you about it over Road Runner though, unless you ask). You probably won't even have to change out your cable modem or anything. They'll be able to do the switch over the phone. You'll probably be able to get some good introductory rate with Earthlink for 6 months or something like that. After some period of time, after your Earthlink introductory period has passed, you should be able to call TWC back to switch back to Road Runner and sign up with them as a "new" customer again with new promotional pricing.

The only thing you'll lose is your Road Runner services, like your e-mail address. I'm assuming you probably don't use that anyway, and just have Gmail or something.
I'm a little surprised neither company makes you sign a contract for longer than the promotional pricing lasts...

DJariya
04-11-12, 08:14 PM
Just an update

I called Time Warner today and the representative told me that after my current rate expires next month, they are giving me an extended promotional rate of $34.95 a month. It will automatically change to that rate so I don't need to call them again.

It's only $5 more, so I can live with that.