Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me choose a subwoofer please =)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help me choose a subwoofer please =)

Old 10-11-00, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone. I've narrowed my subwoofer purchase down to 4 options and I'd like some feedback from fellow forum members. Right now my system is set up in a small dorm room. I have a Yamaha HTR-5240 and the Take5 system. These are the subs I'm looking at:

Energy XL-S10
Cerwin-Vega LW-12
Klipsch KSW-12
Mission 700SA

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, if somebody has any recommendations on where i could get the best price on his particular choice of sub, that would be great. Thanks.

'E

[This message has been edited by Evolution (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old 10-11-00, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

make your life simple, just get the HSU VTF-2 http://www.hsuresearch.com/
Old 10-11-00, 04:01 PM

I have the Klipsch KSW-12 and am very happy with it. I bought it from www.vanns.com for like $340 after a price match from www.brandnamez.com. Also, I believe that www.jandr.com will price match. However, Vanns has free shipping.

Bo.
Old 10-12-00, 12:20 AM

The Hsu is great, but the Paradigm PS-1000
costs less at ~$400 street; let your budget
decide, they're both excellent brands!

PS-1000 Product Link http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/Parad...rs/ps1000.html

PS-1000 Reviews: http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/Revie...erReviews.html

------------------
-------
DVD Toolkit | Audio 101 | Stereo411 (The Ultimate Audio Resource!)
Old 10-12-00, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those all are good choices as well as the HSU and Paradigm that were reccomended. I recently bought a subwoofer and I live in a small dorm room. Being in college I didn't have a very big budget for a sub so the most bang for my buck was important. $400-$500 was really more than I had to spend, and also what most of the reccomended subs go for. I kept my eye open for a deal for awhile and decided on the Cerwin-Vega LW-12 when I found it for $260 locally at REX. Now I'm sure people may bash it but it's a pretty powerful sub, especially in a dorm room. It's a very clean sub that I think sounds good in HT and music. It will hit hard and very clean in music. I think it was a great buy that will definitely last me through college until I have a good job and can afford some really nice equipment.

I don't have much to compare it to but I did compare it to some Polk subs and I think it blew them away. The Polk's put out alot of sound but they were very sloppy and started making noise when they really got worked.

If price is important check out the Cerwin-Vega. I've heard a Paradigm will blow it away but they cost a few hundred more. Let us know what you decide on. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by The Void (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old 10-12-00, 02:42 AM

Of the four listed, I would definately go with the Mission 700AS. Hsu VTF-2 and Paradigm PW2200 would also be excellent choices, but are quite more expensive.

Here's a review on five subs including Hsu VTF-2, Mission 700AS, Klipsch KSW-12, Cerwin Vega LW12, and Tannoy PS110 by well known sub expert, Tom Nousaine of Sound and Vision (May 2000):
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/Sou..._cm_00,00.html

Of the five reviewed, Hsu VTF-2 and Mission 700AS were recommended by Nousaine. The Hsu VTF-2 is available for US$550 shipped. The Mission can be found for as low as US$300-$350. Recently, I had purchased a pair of Mission 700AS for US$650 including 14% taxes and shipping (a B&M dealer).

Here are some test measurement by Nousaine (10% distortion, 2 metres in a large room):

Hsu VTF-2
LFE: 93dB at 20Hz (in max. extension mode)
Average SPL: 107.1dB between 25-62Hz (in max. extension mode)
LFE: 99dB at 25Hz (in max. output mode)
Average SPL: 109.7dB between 25-62Hz (in max. output mode)

Mission 700AS
LFE: 102dB at 25Hz
Average SPL: 108.1dB between 25-62Hz

Email me if you need to locate a Mission online dealer.

Dave
Old 10-12-00, 09:37 AM

Have you considered the Acoustic Research ARS300. It can be had for about $350 and sounds amazing. I have the ARS500 and could not be happier. I never though a 15inch would sound so crisp and clear but it does. This is a sub that has blown every single one of my friends away so I am sure the ARS300 is close in performance.
Old 10-12-00, 10:45 AM

Thanks for pushing the page wider, DavidY

Anyway, I have an Energy XL-S10. It's very good and I'd consider using it as a part of my next upgrade in speakers. I have mostly Energy eXL speakers right now, which I love. The sub goes down nice and low in frequency. Nice and punchy with techno music and cannon shots. Nice and rumbly with explosions and fire sounds... Nice.

I'd also consider one of the Definitive Technology subs as well if I were you, evolution.
Old 10-12-00, 02:46 PM

svada is wise, svadas is good.

Another words, go with svadas' advice.

HSU VTF-2 is a monster.

It will cost you a little more but trust me, when that bass hits you in the chest you will know where that extra money went.

wrath

[This message has been edited by wrath (edited October 12, 2000).]
Old 10-12-00, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have heard great things about the HSU but am not familiar with the unit. I have the Velodyne CT-120 (i think that's the 12" model number) and am extremely happy. It's a great unit for the money. It came down the the KSW-12 and this one early this year.

Mine's being driven by a Marantz SR-8000 and it would be pretty difficult for me to be happier.
Old 10-13-00, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Cerwin Vega sucks. Just my opinion but I can't CV drivers for some reason...

------------------
Regards...

John 3:16
Old 10-13-00, 07:07 PM

another vote for the ksw12 from me. Just love the sound....got a noise complaint the first time i powered it up! oh well, i ended u gettin it at an ebay auction for around 330 or so. good luck! oh the one thing that sold me was the reviews on audioreview.com and listenin to my friends sub. not bad for the price.
Old 10-13-00, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the input everyone. I ended up buying the Mission 70ASA... I really didn't want to spend too much on a sub and my local Brandsmart USA (I think it's just a Florida store?) is no longer stocking Mission products, so the 70ASA was marked at $180 (%50 OFF!!!). Needless to say, I bought it. And for the price I paid, I am VERY satisfied. Maybe I woulda bought the 700 but they didn't have any, and for 50% off I just couldn't pass up the 70. Trust me... It definitely gets the job done in my dorm room. Thanks all.

'E