DVD Talk
Marion Barry: "We’ve got to do something about Asians opening up businesses." [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Marion Barry: "We’ve got to do something about Asians opening up businesses."

grundle
04-05-12, 02:44 PM
I think his comments have a lot more to do with economic ignorance than with racism. He seems to think that the size of the pie is fixed, and that if some people own businesses, it deprives other people from owning businesses.

His comments seem to imply that he wants Asians to abandon the businesses that they created, so the businesses can be taken over by blacks.

He doesn't seem to understand that it's possible for blacks to start their own businesses, without it being necessary for Asians to abandon their businesses.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/mike-debonis/post/marion-barry-stands-by-remark-that-asian-businesses-ought-to-go-from-ward-8/2012/04/05/gIQAP2TlxS_blog.html

Marion Barry stands by remark that Asian businesses ‘ought to go’ from Ward 8

By Mike DeBonis

04/05/2012

Marion Barry is mostly refusing to back down from remarks Tuesday that Asian business owners in his ward “ought to go.”

Barry made the comments Tuesday night, at a party celebrating his landslide victory in the Democratic primary race for the D.C. Council seat he’s held since 2005.

WRC-TVcameras caught the remarks: “We’ve got to do something about these Asians coming in, opening up businesses, those dirty shops. They ought to go, I’ll just say that right now, you know. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too.”

Since then, outrage has mounted. One Facebook page appeared Wednesday, demanding that Barry apologize to the Asian community. By 1 p.m., it had more than 72 “likes.” One of his D.C. Council colleagues, Tommy Wells (D-Ward 6), took to Twitter late Wednesday to decry the remarks as “deplorable.” Five suburban Maryland lawmakers of Asian descent — Democratic delegates Sam Arora, Kumar Barve, Susan Lee, Aruna Miller and Kris Valderrama — also called on Barry to apologize.

“At best, Mr. Barry’s attack on Asian Americans is deeply troubling, and at worst it is race baiting,” they said in a statement.

Barry isn’t apologizing. Rather, he said, in an interview, he suggested his critics “get to know Marion Barry and his stellar record on civil rights.”

”I’ve spent the last 50 years of my life fighting for justice and equality of all people,” he said. “Those five people don’t know Marion Barry at all. They know my name; they don’t know my record.”

That, he noted, includes establishing a sister city relationship with Beijing, helping to erect the Chinatown Friendship Archway and establishing the city Office of Asian-Pacific Islander Affairs during his four terms as mayor.

But Barry renewed his critique of Asian-owned businesses: “Let me make it clear, I’m not castigating any group of people. I’m not doing anything except trying to have a renaissance of our community and get some respect. A number of these restaurants serve high caloric food, bad food, et cetera, but the more important thing, they don’t participate in the community. . . . That’s what I object to, I don’t care who it is. “

Asked why he singled out Asians in his remarks, Barry said, “Because that’s reality. Who owns these little restaurants? Who owns them? You know, Asians. . .Ninety percent of all the small restaurants in Ward 8, at least.”

He added, “We’re spending our money there, and we demand respect. We demand they participate in community affairs. We demand they give jobs to Ward 8 people regardless of their cultural situation. That’s as American as apple pie.”

General Zod
04-05-12, 02:50 PM
Was he with a prostitute and snorting coke when he said it?

arminius
04-05-12, 02:51 PM
The people of ward 8 deserve him. He demands respect while other people must earn it.

Pistol Pete
04-05-12, 02:51 PM
Asians open small businesses because they can get funding from others within their community. The ones that do well provide funding and mentoring to others that are just starting out. That is how the various Asian communities in the US have worked for at least a century.

General Zod
04-05-12, 02:53 PM
Oh and I MUST thank this guy. Last week when I was in Seattle I had a Marion Berry pie. Excellent!

Mabuse
04-05-12, 03:05 PM
“Those five people don’t know Marion Barry at all. They know my name; they don’t know my record.”
Oh we all know your record...SNIFFFFF

Rockmjd23
04-05-12, 03:13 PM
Sounds like he's jealous that his minority group isn't as successful as another minority group. Obviously the reason is racism!

RoyalTea
04-05-12, 03:31 PM
Anyone ever been to Ward 8? He should be fucking thrilled that ANYBODY wants to open a business there.

Ky-Fi
04-05-12, 05:35 PM
Well, he MIGHT have said those things...but it might just be a situation where bitch set him up.

Giantrobo
04-05-12, 06:09 PM
This is nothing new.

Mabuse
04-05-12, 07:30 PM
:lol:Well, he MIGHT have said those things...but it might just be a situation where bitch set him up.:lol:

Tommy Ceez
04-05-12, 08:05 PM
He just saw GOOD HAIR

JasonF
04-05-12, 09:42 PM
Bitch set him up!

I will never understand Marion Barry's continued popularity in DC.

kvrdave
04-05-12, 10:57 PM
Bitch set him up!

I will never understand Marion Barry's continued popularity in DC.

Wow, coming from a Democrat from Chicago, that's pretty....whoa!

JasonF
04-05-12, 11:15 PM
Wow, coming from a Democrat from Chicago, that's pretty....whoa!

I grew up outside of DC. I remember when he was Mayor For Life.

But let's not pretend this is a D/R issue. There are all sorts of ass hats all across the country who keep getting re-elected from both sides of the aisle.

kvrdave
04-06-12, 12:21 AM
Hey, I'm giving you shit, so you just sit there and take it, mister.

RunBandoRun
04-06-12, 09:37 AM
Oh we all know your record...SNIFFFFF

rotfl :thumbsup:

Tracer Bullet
04-06-12, 09:40 AM
I actually agree with Marion Barry--we should give them small business loans, shop at their stores, and generally encourage them!

Mabuse
04-06-12, 12:56 PM
Wait I have to shop at their stores? That's pretty inconvenient from 2,300 miles away.

RunBandoRun
04-06-12, 02:13 PM
Wait I have to shop at their stores? That's pretty inconvenient from 2,300 miles away.

Follow your nose. ;)

crazyronin
04-06-12, 05:46 PM
I thank Marion Barry to bring attention to this yellow peril. If it goes unchecked, Fu Manchu's iron grip over Ward 8 will be unbreakable.

Navinabob
04-06-12, 06:03 PM
I thank Marion Barry to bring attention to this yellow peril. If it goes unchecked, Fu Manchu's iron grip over Ward 8 will be unbreakable.

Plus, every time Barry is trying to study in the library all he hears is "Ohhhh! Ching chong ling long ting tong!" as they talk on their cell phones loudly.

Superboy
04-07-12, 06:40 AM
I think his comments have a lot more to do with economic ignorance than with racism. He seems to think that the size of the pie is fixed, and that if some people own businesses, it deprives other people from owning businesses.

Yeah, that's about as dumb as thinking that someone who comes to the US and gets a job is somehow stealing a job from another person.

brayzie
04-07-12, 07:51 PM

I lol'd

PopcornTreeCt
04-07-12, 09:33 PM
This forum needs a liberal version of grundle to post all the batshit from the other side.

No, I'm not volunteering.

Supermallet
04-07-12, 09:48 PM
This forum needs a liberal version of grundle to post all the batshit from the other side.

Get to it!

Sorry, too late. I'm sending a message now to have your screen name changed to "grundle too".

Superboy
04-07-12, 10:15 PM

:wave:

PopcornTreeCt
04-07-12, 11:13 PM
:lol: Love the name change!!

Dr Mabuse
04-08-12, 12:11 PM
:lol:

RagingBull80
04-08-12, 05:31 PM
Now I see where the name change came from!

grundle
04-09-12, 12:35 AM

Whoa! You've been here for eight years and made over 20,000 posts, and this is the first time I've ever seen you?

Wait a minute - you started here 16 months before me, so yes, you must be some other poster, with your handle temporarily changed.

Get to it!

Sorry, too late. I'm sending a message now to have your screen name changed to "grundle too".

Whoa!

Bandoman
04-09-12, 10:59 AM
The fun has come back to the forum! rotfl

inri222
04-09-12, 02:03 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/FuManchu1.jpg

Supermallet
04-09-12, 10:16 PM

That was fast. Some wily admin is on the ball. :lol:

NotThatGuy
04-09-12, 11:29 PM

whotony
04-10-12, 11:44 PM
Classic

mosquitobite
04-11-12, 02:38 PM

Hilarious!

Now get to posting buckaroo!

How can you not come up with all kinds of lovely wikipedia and blog articles to post?!

The Bus
04-12-12, 06:57 AM
This is nothing new.

Seriously I thought it was a repost from 1988.

creekdipper
04-15-12, 05:29 PM
Don't get him. If they all leave, who will do his nails?

Artman
04-15-12, 09:29 PM
But let's not pretend this is a D/R issue. There are all sorts of ass hats all across the country who keep getting re-elected from both sides of the aisle.

Very convenient way to put it...

The Bus
04-16-12, 06:06 AM
Plus, every time Barry is trying to study in the library all he hears is "Ohhhh! Ching chong ling long ting tong!" as they talk on their cell phones loudly.

Well done :lol:

Giles
07-12-13, 11:14 AM
the man keeps getting into trouble - no surprise - but how he's still in the DC political scene is a complete mystery - he's 77, just retire or go away (far away):

Marion Barry censured, fined $13,600 for accepting gifts from contractors (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/marion-barry-censured-fined-13600-for-accepting-gifts-from-contractors/2013/07/11/db2e0bb0-ea4d-11e2-a301-ea5a8116d211_story.html?hpid=z5)

"The District’s fledgling ethics board on Thursday delivered its most substantial sanction to date of an elected official, censuring D.C. Council member Marion Barry and fining him $13,600 for accepting illegal gifts from city contractors.

The Board of Ethics and Government Accountability, which assumed responsibility for policing city government in October, voted unanimously to approve a settlement with Barry (D-Ward 8) after a two-month investigation into gifts he listed in a May financial disclosure report.

The Washington Post reported in June that the gifts — totaling $6,800 and provided by two District construction companies — appeared to violate city ethics laws prohibiting public officials from soliciting or accepting gifts from city contractors. Barry also appeared to have violated the council’s code of conduct by voting on matters involving the contractors without disclosing the gifts.

Darrin Sobin, the board-appointed director of government ethics, said the penalty could have included a fine equal to three times the amount of the gifts. But he said a lower fine was justified because there was no evidence of a “direct quid pro quo arrangement” and the gifts were disclosed voluntarily, as well as there being concerns about Barry’s ability to pay.

The board also voted to refer the matter to outside authorities, such as the District’s inspector general or the U.S. attorney’s office, to investigate whether the gift-givers had violated ethics laws.

Barry, 77, said in a statement released Thursday evening that “character and integrity remain intact,” highlighting his voluntary disclosure of the illegal gifts. “No one had to look under a rock for it,” he said. “I disclosed it.”

His attorney, Frederick D. Cooke Jr., said in an interview that he and Barry were “happy to have the matter resolved.”

Sobin said Barry, in agreeing to the fine and censure, was “contrite.”

One gift, of $2,800, was from Forney Enterprises, a company that recently completed work worth $1.8 million on an elementary school in Barry’s ward. The owner, Keith Forney, previously told The Post that the money was intended to pay Barry’s personal bills.

Sobin said Forney, in an interview with investigators, had a “foggy” recollection of the gift. Forney said he “felt bad” for Barry, Sobin recalled. Barry “looked like he needed some money, so [Forney] gave him some money,” Sobin said.

Cooke declined to discuss the circumstances of the gifts, but Barry’s financial problems have long been a matter of public record. He pleaded guilty in 2005 to failing to file income tax returns and received a sentence of probation. Court filings in 2009 indicated that he owed the federal government $277,000, and the Internal Revenue Service was continuing to garnish his council wages. His council salary is $128,202.

Fewer details are known about a second gift, of $4,000, from F&L Construction. Principals of the company declined to be interviewed without a subpoena, Sobin said, and investigators decided there was little justification for holding up the investigation. An attorney for the firm, A. Scott Bolden, disputed the amount Barry reported, but he declined to discuss the matter further with a reporter."

RoyalTea
06-24-14, 11:44 AM
Washington, DC is about to institute a "yoga tax." They want to include gym memberships and other services in their sales tax. Marion Barry, who still serves on the DC city council and has no clue what the fuck is going on, was asked about the "yoga tax" and thinks it's a "yogurt tax."

“Yogurt is more healthy than a lot of things. As is cottage cheese,” Barry said, expressing his disagreement with the nonexistent tax and staunchly defending the health benefits of yogurt. “The best kind of yogurt is organic, without all these fillers and stuff.”

http://www.msnbc.com/hardball/former-dc-mayor-defends-nonexistent-yogurt-tax

I guess it's one thing to disagree with an elected official's stance on the issues, but is it too much to ask that elected officials actually know what the issues are?

movielib
06-24-14, 11:53 AM
Washington, DC is about to institute a "yoga tax." They want to include gym memberships and other services in their sales tax. Marion Barry, who still serves on the DC city council and has no clue what the fuck is going on, was asked about the "yoga tax" and thinks it's a "yogurt tax."

http://www.msnbc.com/hardball/former-dc-mayor-defends-nonexistent-yogurt-tax

I guess it's one thing to disagree with an elected official's stance on the issues, but is it too much to ask that elected officials actually know what the issues are?
http://snl.jt.org/caps/characters/GiRa-Emily%20Litella.jpg

JasonF
06-24-14, 12:43 PM
http://snl.jt.org/caps/characters/GiRa-Emily%20Litella.jpg

wendersfan
06-24-14, 01:25 PM
rotfl

ctyankee
06-24-14, 03:57 PM
[/b]He added, “We’re spending our money there, and we demand respect. We demand they participate in community affairs. We demand they give jobs to Ward 8 people regardless of their cultural situation. That’s as American as apple pie.”

Wait I saw this movie ...

http://spectrumculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/dotherightthing1.jpg

grundle
06-24-14, 04:42 PM
Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

(Yeah, I know - right actress, wrong character.)