Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Some Supernatural fans get their wish.. Sera Gamble steps down

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Supernatural fans get their wish.. Sera Gamble steps down

'Supernatural': Sera Gamble steps down as showrunner, Jeremy Carver returns

"Supernatural" showrunner Sera Gamble will step down at the end of the current season, Zap2it has confirmed.

After seven years on "Supernatural," Gamble has chosen to focus on developing other material. She has led the show for two seasons, since creator Eric Kripke's role was reduced after Season 5.

She'll be replaced by Jeremy Carver, who will work alongside co-showrunner Robert Singer. Carver served as executive story editor and then co-producer of "Supernatural" from Season 3 to Season 5, after which he moved on to the role of executive producer on SyFy's US remake of the UK series "Being Human." He returns to "Supernatural" as showrunner and executive producer, but he will continue to EP "Being Human" as well.

Though the network has yet to officially announce a pickup for "Supernatural's" Season 8, fans shouldn't be concerned about cancellation. With stars Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles locked in for another season, the CW is unlikely to let this Friday night performer go without a solid send-off.

The swap was first reported by Deadline.

If you listen very carefully, you can almost hear the collective cheer from the Fangirls.. The Sera hate was very strong.

What do ya'll think. Good move for next season or will this tank the show for good?
Old 04-04-12, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Some Supernatural fans get their wish.. Sera Gamble steps down

The show can't get much worse IMO, and I really like Being Human, so this is good news until proven otherwise.
Old 04-04-12, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
The show can't get much worse IMO, and I really like Being Human, so this is good news until proven otherwise.
well the new guy isn't really new. He was involved from Season 3 to Season 5 when the show was imo at it's peak. I agree that the show now is a sad shell of it's former self. I'm not sure how much I blame Sera for it. Kripke still has some say in what happens. Or at least he did.
Old 04-04-12, 07:39 PM

the rejoicing on Tumblr is funny. The absolute Sera hate has been tempered by "she's a wonderful writer".. hahahaha

Now CW needs to announce, for sure , if there is a season 8.
Old 04-04-12, 08:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The show isn't as good as it was during seasons 3-5, but this season has been pretty decent.
Old 04-04-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Despite what some may think, I think Sera did an adequate job the last 2 seasons. However, I think the stronger episodes have been the self contained Monster/Supernatural Event of the week rather than any attempt by her and the writers to create a serialized arc.
Old 04-04-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I'm not mincing words, Gamble was a huge problem. The showrunner has the final word on all creative decisions and it's inarguable the show declined in quality under her care. Sometimes a good writer does not make a good showrunner. The run started off choppy and never improved. I have no doubt we get another season, the real question is whether the show survives beyond that time.
Old 04-05-12, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There were some gems in the last couple of seasons, but yeah, overall it was very uneven. They shouldn't have even bothered trying to make story arcs if they didn't know what they were doing for effective storytelling...
Old 04-05-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is interesting. I mean, this show was designed to run five years. If you take away the automatic rebirth thing at the end of season 5 you pretty much have a fantastic ending for the show.

That being said, pretty much anything they did after that would be of lower quality imho. I dropped it this season and doubt that a new showrunner could bring me back.
Old 04-05-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I still like the show, but agree that it's not as good as it was in seasons past. I hope this means that season 8 will be a step up in quality. I'll still be tuning in.
Old 04-05-12, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

It'll be back for another Season. Possibly it's final. Friday needs a staple, and Nikita isn't it.
Old 04-05-12, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It'll be back for another Season. Possibly it's final. Friday needs a staple, and Nikita isn't it.
I wouldn't be surprised if the CW tried to squeeze a ninth and maybe even tenth season out of the show.
Old 04-05-12, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It supposedly makes a lot of money in syndication and home video.
Old 04-06-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think last season was alright, but they lost me this season. There have been good episodes, but I just don't have much desire to watch a show that I adored just limp about being so so. I actually hope that next season is the show's last, and the new show runner can go into the season with that in mind. If it's the end, I'll be back to see how they send the boys away.

Maybe they need to have a season with a smaller focus. The Winchester's have been saving the world for quite a while now.