DVD Talk
Easter Box Office Weekend (4/5 - 4/9): James Cameron Now More Popular Than Jesus [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Easter Box Office Weekend (4/5 - 4/9): James Cameron Now More Popular Than Jesus

Matthew Chmiel
04-04-12, 06:46 PM
CHOO-CHOO! All aboard James Cameron's money making machine.

WEDNESDAY 1 PM: The world’s 2nd highest-grossing film officially embarks on another box office voyage. Paramount for domestic and Fox for international released Titanic 3D today with some previews yesterday. (As if $1.8 billion theatrical gross for the original wasn’t enough already!) I hear that today’s matinees are surprisingly strong, although last night’s North American midnights were expectedly negligible (and considering the film’s 194-minute running time): an estimated $250,000. Overall, the North American gross taken in so far is $425,000 primarily from the fan sneak screenings which Paramount released on just over 300 screens around the country. It looks like some theater chains like AMC had a 6:30 screening Tuesday night of Titanic 3D, but no one’s sure about other circuits. Pacific, Cinemark, and Arclight all seemed to have midnight shows. Today the film releases into 2,674 dates, including 79 IMAX theaters, and Paramount is ”still feeling good” about its projection of $20M-$22M for the first five days of release. Rival studios are expecting $25M-$30M. That more than covers the cost of the 3D conversion, which was overseen by James Cameron and his producing partner Jon Landau, and completed by Stereo D, at a cost of approximately $18M.

But this Easter weekend will be a crowded U.S. and Canadian marketplace what with Universal’s American Reunion opening in 3,200 locations, Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games still going strong, and Warner Bros’ Clash Of The Titans and Relativity’s Mirror Mirror trying for more ticket sales. Titanic 3D‘s tracking didn’t look radically different from other blockbuster movies which had 3D conversions. What will help this release is Cameron’s 3D authority. Audiences expected to attend include mothers taking their daughters and film technology geeks. But let’s not forget that teenage girls and their repeat business made the original Titanic successful – or that their one-time heartthrob Leonardo Di Caprio is now approaching middle-age.

Fox is opening or previewing Titanic 3D tonight in 17 of the 84 international markets that are opening day and date with domestic. It will release in a total of 108 international markets. The studio tells me it’s incredibly difficult to compare this release pattern with the original 2D release 14 years ago because the international landscape has changed so much. For instance, those territories with the most dramatic increases in screen counts include China (2,400 today vs 571 in 1997), Russia (796 vs 23), India (230 vs 82), South Korea (232 vs 75), and Japan (463 vs 263). In 1997, Fox released Titanic on approximately 7,000 screens for all of international (adding up the screen counts at the widest point of release in every territory). Whereas Titanic 3D will be releasing total international (including non-day and date markets) on approximately 8,600 screens. Also it’s interesting to recall that Fox only released the original Titanic day and date in 8 markets back in ’97 (Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, and Taiwan). The majority of the international marketplace released in January and February of 1998. However Titanic 3D is releasing day and date in the majority of the international marketplace. China, Poland, Norway, and most of Latin America are releasing one week later.

Titanic 3D will play in a total of 100 international IMAX theatres, 83 of them opening today. Titanic also will open in 4DX™ theatres on Thursday. For civilians, 4DX™ bills itself as an all-five-senses immersive cinematic experience that puts audiences into a film’s environment with motion, wind, fog, lighting and even scent-based special effects, going way beyond 3D. Launched in 2009 by CGV, Asia’s largest theater chain, 4DX™ is currently available at 29 locations worldwide with 50 auditoriums slated by year’s end 2012. Titanic will open on the following number of 4DX screens: 12 screens in South Korea, 11 in Mexico, 2 in China, and 1 in Thailand.

Source (http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/titanic-3d-opens-to-surprisingly-strong-matinees/)

I decided to start a new thread because:

We're still arguing about Snow White and the Huntsman and Star Wars in last weekend's thread.
This is a new weekend.

For comparison's sake with Titanic's 3D re-release:

The Phantom Menace: $431 million during original run; $43 million in 3D re-release.
Beauty and the Beast: $146 million during original run; $48 million in 3D re-release.
The Lion King: $313 million during original run; $94 million in 3D re-release.
Toy Story 1 & 2: $438 million combined during original run; $30 million in 3D re-release.

[Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King saw prior re-releases in IMAX; those were not counted in the comparison.]

Titanic is a long film, 197 minutes, and will only have 3 to 4 showings max on each screen. During its original run, it never made more than $36 million during a weekend despite making $25 million plus each weekend for its first seven weeks. It'll be interesting if we see a similar pattern for its re-release (word of mouth really depends on how the 3D conversion is) because it really has no competition other than American Wedding and films already released.

PopcornTreeCt
04-04-12, 08:03 PM
I'm okay with your thread title.

GoldenJCJ
04-04-12, 09:29 PM
Except James Cameron has been more popular than Jesus for a long time. :)

...And I had no idea they re-released American Wedding back into theaters. ;)

Supermallet
04-04-12, 09:31 PM
But is he more popular than the Beatles?

Tom Creo
04-04-12, 10:30 PM
My Weekend View:
3-Titanic
2-American Pie
1-The Hunger Games

Here's hoping Cameron can do it again.

By the way, I think our Snow White disagreement has turned into a decent discussion.

PopcornTreeCt
04-04-12, 10:47 PM
But is he more popular than the Beatles?

I think today's version of that saying is, Is he more popular than Tim Tebow? And no, Cameron is not.

Matthew Chmiel
04-05-12, 12:24 AM
...And I had no idea they re-released American Wedding back into theaters. ;)
It's the weekend of re-releases baby! :)

I think today's version of that saying is, Is he more popular than Tim Tebow? And no, Cameron is not.
Can Tim Tebow co-edit, write, produce and direct the two highest grossing films of all time? Can Tim Tebow go to the deepest point of the ocean solo in a one-man submarine?

Nope.

And neither can Jesus. Maybe McCartney, Lennon and Harrison can; nobody cares about Ringo.

Supermallet
04-05-12, 12:35 AM

Did Tim Tebow say he was more popular than Jesus? John Lennon did, hence the reference.

Matthew Chmiel
04-05-12, 01:39 AM
Finke tweeted that Titanic pulled in $4.5 million today. It might actually unseat The Hunger Games for the number one spot (which did $4.5 million on Monday, but $5.3 million yesterday).

Pretty impressive.

Artman
04-05-12, 02:03 AM
Not sure I'm getting what your thread is supposed to mean. But it's pretty irrelevant no matter how you look at it.

fumanstan
04-05-12, 02:08 AM
Jesus fucking christ!

Matthew Chmiel
04-05-12, 02:14 AM
Jesus fucking Christ indeed.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_popular_than_Jesus

d2cheer
04-05-12, 12:54 PM
CHOO-CHOO! All aboard James Cameron's money making machine.

I decided to start a new thread because:

last week someone else did it, got to name it, and that didn't sit very well with you.

islandclaws
04-05-12, 01:03 PM
I've been hearing the 3D for Titanic is nothing special (shocker, I know), so the only WOM that's going to carry it is people saying you need to see it on the big screen, but theater audiences suck so much I really don't see this having the legs it did the first time around.

RichC2
04-05-12, 01:22 PM
I've been hearing the 3D for Titanic is nothing special (shocker, I know), so the only WOM that's going to carry it is people saying you need to see it on the big screen, but theater audiences suck so much I really don't see this having the legs it did the first time around.

I guess I should be glad the last movie I attended with a shitty audience was Constantine, in retrospect it probably helped that POS.

Hokeyboy
04-05-12, 01:50 PM
Jesus H. Christ and his black bastard brother Barry! :confused:

Nick Martin
04-05-12, 01:50 PM
I've been hearing the 3D for Titanic is nothing special (shocker, I know),

I saw it last night and thought the 3D was fantastic in addition to every other aspect of the film being on the big screen again in pristine quality.

Matthew Chmiel
04-06-12, 07:53 PM
FRIDAY*3:30 PM, 5TH UPDATE: My sources now say the #1 movie*this Easter weekend will still be*Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games with $12M-$14M*for its 3rd Friday in release at the North American box office.*Universal’s American Reunion opening today is #2 with $8M-$10M today for a projected*$25M*for this weekend. Universal’s*fourquel*reunites the original cast of this raunchy popular franchise more than a decade later, including even that hot mess Tara Reid. (For those keeping score, there have been 8 releases total – but a quad went directly to home video.) In the U.S. and Canada, midnights at 37 locations opened with $660K. It pulled ahead of Paramount/Fox conversion Titanic 3D which opened Wednesday and is looking at $6.5M-$7.5M today for #3 and a possible 5-day cume of $20M through Easter Sunday.

Playing in the same 4,137 locations, Hunger Games*grossed $6.3M Thursday for a new 13-day cume of $269.3M. In second place Thursday was Titanic 3D*which grossed $3.6M playing in 2,674 theaters. “That’s a strong -16% hold given that Wednesday openers usually fall an average of -30+%,” Paramount, which is handling the domestic release tells me. Audiences gave it an ‘A’ CinemaScore. James Cameron’s epic new 2-day cume is $8.3M. There are still no foreign figures available from Fox. Universal reports that American Reunion opened as the No. 1 film in Australia, Russia, and Holland*despite stiff competition at the box office there. It had the highest opening for the franchise in those 3 territories.
American Wedding did $33 million on its opening weekend back in August 2003 and went on to gross $105 million domestically at the end of its run.

Like others have pointed out the past few weeks, maybe releasing an R-rated sequel on Easter/Passover weekend wasn't the greatest idea. However, Universal ruined the franchise with the onslaught of awful direct-to-video sequels over the past eight years. American Reunion might've played better possibly on a different weekend or if the last four "sequels" didn't exist.

This may play out more like Scream 4 rather than say Fast and Furious.

godzilla rules
04-06-12, 10:15 PM
American Wedding did $33 million on its opening weekend back in August 2003 and went on to gross $105 million domestically at the end of its run.

Like others have pointed out the past few weeks, maybe releasing an R-rated sequel on Easter/Passover weekend wasn't the greatest idea. However, Universal ruined the franchise with the onslaught of awful direct-to-video sequels over the past eight years. American Reunion might've played better possibly on a different weekend or if the last four "sequels" didn't exist.

This may play out more like Scream 4 rather than say Fast and Furious.

I was thinking the same thing as I watched the movie. The problem also lies in the fact that Fast Five was a lot of fun. This movie, not so much.

Matthew Chmiel
04-06-12, 10:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing as I watched the movie. The problem also lies in the fact that Fast Five was a lot of fun. This movie, not so much.
While I was excited for Fast and Furious in 2009, I feel its the weakest of the franchise. On the flip side, Fast Five ranks as one of the best. Fast Five is the only entry in that franchise, in my opinion, that just goes for broke.

I'm about to head out to see American Reunion in a few minutes and outside of the direct-to-video entries, is currently the weakest reviewed entry in the franchise. While it hasn't been a franchise that has been critically acclaimed, that does worry me considering Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg have been involved with another R-rated trilogy that has two well-reviewed entries.

Why So Blu?
04-06-12, 11:47 PM
Here are some thoughts:

http://whysoblu.com/titanic-3d-thoughts/

Matthew Chmiel
04-07-12, 02:48 PM
Friday estimates:

http://i.imgur.com/VoqaA.png

Yeti4623
04-07-12, 04:11 PM
About the Harold and Kumar series:

I'm still kind of surprised that the original Harold and Kumar got such good reviews. It's not bad, but pretty mediocre. I've seen comedies in the same league, which got less than 40% on Rotten Tomatoes.

fitprod
04-07-12, 04:24 PM
About the Harold and Kumar series:

I'm still kind of surprised that the original Harold and Kumar got such good reviews. It's not bad, but pretty mediocre. I've seen comedies in the same league, which got less than 40% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Random analysis?

fitprod

Troy Stiffler
04-07-12, 04:42 PM
Random analysis?

fitprod

Kind of random. Those two dudes directed American Reunion.

LosingMyMind
04-08-12, 11:47 AM
So even with IMAX screenings, Titanic performed about the same as The Phantom Menace. Interesting. $25,710,000 since Wednesday. It will be interesting to see what the international gross for this will be since, aside from The Phantom Menace, the other 3D re-releases have all tanked overseas.

arminius
04-08-12, 12:04 PM
I can't imagine it making much more. Whoever wanted to see it probably already did. I don't see this having legs at all.

TomOpus
04-08-12, 12:33 PM
I would think with the nice weather and some schools letting out early, lots of families might be traveling for the holiday. Before it's written off, might wait until next weekend's tally. There's really no big movie opening (biggest screen count is for The Three Stooges) to compete with it. It has a chance to do quite well.

Shannon Nutt
04-08-12, 12:52 PM
So even with IMAX screenings, Titanic performed about the same as The Phantom Menace. Interesting. $25,710,000 since Wednesday. It will be interesting to see what the international gross for this will be since, aside from The Phantom Menace, the other 3D re-releases have all tanked overseas.

Technically, it performed better than Phantom, since it could only book half as many showings per day. But I understand what you meant.

Mr. Cinema
04-08-12, 01:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QXA2x.png

Why So Blu?
04-08-12, 01:48 PM
Poor American Reunion. Titanic ate up a nice chunk of change.

Supermallet
04-08-12, 03:41 PM
For a movie with a $50 million budget, I'd think a $20 million opening would be just fine.

PenguinJoe
04-08-12, 03:42 PM
My favorite quote about American Reunion is "You know when bands like The Eagles or Guns N Roses need money so they reunite for what they call a farewell tour? Thats like what American Reunion is."

Supermallet
04-08-12, 03:48 PM
Except American Reunion isn't expecting you to pay $50-$500 for a ticket.

Solid Snake
04-08-12, 03:52 PM
looking off of BOM. Looks like John Carter made it's budget. It's got $263 million worldwide...which is rather sad for the price tag it had. I loved it. Let's hope we get Ghosts of Mars for sure.

Considering i'm not well versed on how how good smaller films making their buck w/ the few screens they got so far. By looking at The Raid...how's it holding up? Looks pretty good to me considering the still growing number of theaters releasing it here and there.

Matthew Chmiel
04-08-12, 03:57 PM
looking off of BOM. Looks like John Carter made it's budget. It's got $263 million worldwide...which is rather sad for the price tag it had. I loved it. Let's hope we get Ghosts of Mars for sure.
It will never get a sequel. It made $263 million worldwide, but Disney only sees about 50-60% (if not a bit more) at the end of the day. You also still have to consider how much Disney spent on prints and advertising.

Disney saying they lost over $200 million on the film sounds about right.

Dr. DVD
04-08-12, 07:48 PM
It will never get a sequel. It made $263 million worldwide, but Disney only sees about 50-60% (if not a bit more) at the end of the day. You also still have to consider how much Disney spent on prints and advertising.

Disney saying they lost over $200 million on the film sounds about right.

That in mind, do you think Disney will make another Pirates movie, considering the last one made over a billion worldwide but only $220 million came from the US? If John Carter, through some weird circumstances, made $ 1.5 billion worldwide but its domestic gross stayed what it was, would we then get a sequel?

Cool to see Hunger Games hanging in there so well. I wonder if it might remain #1 next weekend? When was the last time a movie held the top spot for more than three weekends?

fitprod
04-08-12, 07:54 PM
That in mind, do you think Disney will make another Pirates movie, considering the last one made over a billion worldwide but only $220 million came from the US? If John Carter, through some weird circumstances, made $ 1.5 billion worldwide but its domestic gross stayed what it was, would we then get a sequel?

Of course John Carter would get a sequel if it made $1.5 billion worldwide... But it's not going to. (The only territory it has left to open in is Japan.) Pirates will get another sequel, probably with a reduced budget.

fitprod

Dr. DVD
04-08-12, 08:02 PM
I'm kind of curious as to how Paramount would assess the most recent M:I movie, considering it made $600 million worldwide but only 200 came from America. There's no denying the franchise and Cruise still have drawing power, just not as much in the US.

fumanstan
04-08-12, 08:24 PM
I'm kind of curious as to how Paramount would assess the most recent M:I movie, considering it made $600 million worldwide but only 200 came from America. There's no denying the franchise and Cruise still have drawing power, just not as much in the US.

I can't see how they would be anything but happy, given that it made $75 million more domestically then part 3. I can't see how it was anything but a giant success.

TomOpus
04-08-12, 08:38 PM
Many movies do a lot better overseas than in the US. Titanic made $600 million in the US but $1.2 billion overseas. The Lion King made $100 million more overseas than in the US. The Harry Potter movies made over 2x the BO overseas than the US.

Look at the Top 10 All-Time Grossing movies worldwide and every single one had a higher BO overseas.

movieguru
04-08-12, 08:42 PM

Even in it's original release Titanic only once maybe made over $30 million for any weekend. As I recall it just kept grossing in the $20 million range domestic for many many weeks. I doubt it will have the longevity of the original, but it could gross a reasonble sume each week if it's kept in the theatre for the entire summer.

Supermallet
04-08-12, 08:45 PM
Many movies do a lot better overseas than in the US. Titanic made $600 million in the US but $1.2 billion overseas. The Lion King made $100 million more overseas than in the US. The Harry Potter movies made over 2x the BO overseas than the US.

Look at the Top 10 All-Time Grossing movies worldwide and every single one had a higher BO overseas.

Isn't that almost inevitable, given that "overseas" is everything not in North America? I know we spend a lot of money on movies, but you're talking about the combined grosses of every other country on earth.

Matthew Chmiel
04-08-12, 09:27 PM
For the major studios like Disney, Fox, Sony and Warner; they control the rights to their films in most, if not all, territories. Worldwide grosses are studios' new bread and butter as some territories, like Russia, are having significant increases in their population going to the movies whereas North America keeps plummeting.

If a film makes $10 million on its opening weekend, the studio does not see all $10 million. The studio will see $6-7 million of that whereas the theaters will take the rest. That's why theaters prefer films with legs, because they'll see a higher percentage of the gross as time progresses.

[Depending on the film, usually a studio will command 70 - 80% of a film's first weekend gross. As weeks progress, that percentage will continue to drop. The longer a film is in theaters, the percentage will swing more towards the theater's benefit rather than the studios as they'll see the higher percentage. However, in today's age where a film will sit in most theater for maybe 3-4 weeks, that's a rarity.]

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides was another Disney film that had a production budget of $250 million. After worldwide prints and advertising, Disney is out of pocket somewhere between $350 - 400 million.

Since the film pulled in $1 billion and theaters claim (say) 40%, Disney walked away with at least $600 million after all was said and done. From its theatrical release alone, Disney pulled in at least $200 - 250 million worth of profit. This is before video rentals and sales, before television market sales, before merchandise, etc. Disney walked away with the ability to make more sequels as there's still a demand and its still making the studio a boatload of cash.

If theaters take (again say) 40% of John Carter's gross, Disney made $160 million on it. Not enough to cover the production budget, prints, or advertising. That's why we won't get a sequel.

Also, Titanic didn't do as well as The Phantom Menace as far as the three-day weekend is concerned. The Phantom Menace did an average of $588 per showtime (in 2,655 theaters on 3,200 screens). Titanic did an average of $420 per showtime (in 2,674 theaters on 5,800 screens). Titanic also has an upper hand as its in close to 80 IMAX locations too.

Yes. Titanic is a longer film. However, at the end of the day, it had nearly double the amount of showtimes than The Phantom Menace did. While Titanic's 3D post-conversion is having stronger word-of-mouth, next week will determine how it'll ultimately do. The Phantom Menace has a 65% drop in weekend two. It'll be interesting to see where Titanic fares.

Ash Ketchum
04-09-12, 10:29 AM
Cool to see Hunger Games hanging in there so well. I wonder if it might remain #1 next weekend? When was the last time a movie held the top spot for more than three weekends?

According to Anne Thompson's blog:
“Hunger Games” is the first film since Summit’s “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1” to hold the top spot for three consecutive sessions.

Last one to do more than three? They don't say.

Anyone?

RichC2
04-09-12, 10:47 AM
Avatar was the last one to go longer than 3 weeks - it was #1 for 7 weeks in a row in late '09 early '10.

Alice in Wonderland, Shrek 4, Inception, The Help, Twilight BD Part 1 and Hunger Games all tied at 3 weeks. Granted there is a very possible chance that Hunger will get a 4th week at #1 -- its main competition (Cabin in the Woods, The Three Stooges and Lockout) will probably have sub-$20m openings, and Hunger Games will probably pull about $20m next weekend.

Solid Snake
04-09-12, 05:15 PM
I can't see how they would be anything but happy, given that it made $75 million more domestically then part 3. I can't see how it was anything but a giant success.

Especially since they're losing the Marvel films soon after IM3. They'll keep pumping out MI and ST as their cash cows, do they have any other franchises? None come to mind.

Dr. DVD
04-09-12, 05:18 PM
If they can keep the ST movies on schedule of course.

Schloob1
04-09-12, 07:17 PM
Avatar was the last one to go longer than 3 weeks - it was #1 for 7 weeks in a row in late '09 early '10.

Alice in Wonderland, Shrek 4, Inception, The Help, Twilight BD Part 1 and Hunger Games all tied at 3 weeks. Granted there is a very possible chance that Hunger will get a 4th week at #1 -- its main competition (Cabin in the Woods, The Three Stooges and Lockout) will probably have sub-$20m openings, and Hunger Games will probably pull about $20m next weekend.

It could definitely win this weekend, and there is nothing the following week after that at all so conceivably can do 5 weeks. While it might be close, I see it do perhaps #3 the following week behind "The Raven" and "The 5 Year Engagement". If it somehow was to beat those it will not make it to 7 weeks. "The Avengers" is the following weekend.

DRG
04-11-12, 12:01 PM
Especially since they're losing the Marvel films soon after IM3. They'll keep pumping out MI and ST as their cash cows, do they have any other franchises? None come to mind.

Transformers are Paramount, and on a smaller scale they have the Paranormal Activity films.

Solid Snake
04-11-12, 12:10 PM
....oh wait..fuck. Forgot about GI JOE and Transformers. Nvm...they'll be fine.

Mr. Cinema
04-11-12, 02:00 PM
The planned Jack Ryan reboot with Chris Pine.