DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Adam Sandler Rebooting 80s Classic Summer School

Double_Oh_7
04-03-12, 02:51 PM
Any doubts Hollywood is creatively bankrupt?

Adam Sandler is on a roll. After the actor's 2011 film, "Jack and Jill," swept the Razzies last weekend, his company, Happy Madison, is set to take the reigns on a remake of the 1987 comedy "Summer School."

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Happy Madison is currently in negotiations to handle production of the movie, which has been stuck in development since 2005.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/04/03/summer-school-movie-remake-adam-sandler_n_1399162.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl6|sec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D148806

islandclaws
04-03-12, 03:58 PM
No Dean Cameron, no sale.

Nick Danger
04-03-12, 04:04 PM
Does Adam Sandler play a high school student?

Hollywood is as creative as ever. My DVD set of The Maltese Falcon includes three movies made from that book, all from the 1930s.

starman9000
04-03-12, 04:45 PM
Sandler as Chainsaw with David Spade as Dave...that would be tight. Harmon and Thorne-Smith can replay their parts.

JumpCutz
04-03-12, 04:48 PM
Summer School is considered a classic? Oy vey.

TGM
04-03-12, 05:32 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Qsl8l2Oo18?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hell yeah it's a classic!

Tarantino
04-03-12, 05:33 PM

My first thought. "Summer School is a classic?"

Nick Danger
04-03-12, 06:45 PM
Sandler as Chainsaw with David Spade as Dave...that would be tight. Harmon and Thorne-Smith can replay their parts.

Guys in their 40s playing high school students. It's a Hollywood tradition.

I was thinking of Sandler as the teacher, and having a seduction scene with a beautiful teenage actress. Old guys having romances with women half their age is another Hollywood tradition.

Charlie Goose
04-04-12, 12:39 AM
Maybe Kirstie Alley can come back too. She can play the school!

Hahahaha!

Wait....is she fat again yet?

boogieman03
04-04-12, 12:48 AM
People don't consider it a classic? :(

Jaymole
04-04-12, 07:33 AM
Considering how bad the 80's were overall for film, I can see people considering it a classic.

red1138
04-04-12, 08:02 AM
Maybe Kirstie Alley can come back too. She can play the school!

Hahahaha!

Wait....is she fat again yet?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Awesome!

coli
04-04-12, 08:24 AM

I wouldn't say its a classic, but a very funny movie from the late 80's with alot of great one-liners that I watched a zillion times on HBO. In saying that, no need to reboot this as the original is just fine. Just another reason why I rarely go to the movies anymore....

coli
04-04-12, 08:26 AM
Considering how bad the 80's were overall for film, I can see people considering it a classic.

I'm not sure of your context? If you're saying 1980's movie were bad compared to the 1970's movies, I would agree with you. If you are saying 1980's movies are bad compared to todays movies, I would disagree with you.

Rob V
04-04-12, 08:56 AM
Hate Sandler... I wouldn't be surprised if his character is super-rich in this remake.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-04-12, 09:16 AM
Everyone seems to be assuming Sandler will appear in the film, but it doesn't say that definitively. His production comany does make movies that he doesn't appear in (Paul Blart, House Bunny, Grandma's Boy, etc.)

banthafett
04-04-12, 09:51 AM
Billy Madison Goes To College

Tarantino
04-04-12, 09:51 AM
Everyone seems to be assuming Sandler will appear in the film, but it doesn't say that definitively. His production comany does make movies that he doesn't appear in (Paul Blart, House Bunny, Grandma's Boy, etc.)

Yeah, that's comforting :lol:

kgrogers1979
04-04-12, 10:09 AM
Billy Madison Goes To College

That was essentially what The Waterboy was.

Jaymole
04-04-12, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure of your context? If you're saying 1980's movie were bad compared to the 1970's movies, I would agree with you. If you are saying 1980's movies are bad compared to todays movies, I would disagree with you.

Yes, they are worse than any other decade...including today. This is a debate I would love to have with you as I have plenty of ammunition :)

However, if you are one of those who considers Summer School a classic, then it is not worth the debate as nostalgia really does a number on people's definition of quality.

coli
04-04-12, 12:17 PM
Yes, they are worse than any other decade...including today. This is a debate I would love to have with you as I have plenty of ammunition :)

However, if you are one of those who considers Summer School a classic, then it is not worth the debate as nostalgia really does a number on people's definition of quality.

I loved Summer School growing up, but I never considered it a classic comedy compared to Caddyshack or Animal House. It had funny characters, good one liners, and was one of those movies when it came on HBO back then, I would always watch.

If you want to start a thread 'The 80's were the worst decade for movies,' I'm always game for a fun debate. Some of my favorite movies like Empire Strikes Back, Back to the Future, Platoon, Field of Dreams, Hoosiers, Rain Man, Caddyshack, The Breakfast Club and Ghostbusters comes out of that decade, so hit me with your best argument! :)

Matthew Chmiel
04-04-12, 12:49 PM
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo155/_rocket47_/ari_gold.gif

Edit: I needed to add video to make my point.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rcp951egMHI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rcp951egMHI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Yeti4623
04-04-12, 01:43 PM
The 80's didn't have a whole lot of super aweome, cutting edge, brainy movies, but there were some. It did, however, have a lot of fun, memorable comedy, horror, action, and adventure movies. A lot of them have not really been topped since.

As for Summer School: I've always liked it. It was one of the first movies I had seen on cable. It has a lot of fun stuff in it. There's a real laid-back, breezy charm to it. It sort of feels like a classic, even if it isn't.

I also heard somewhere, that this was one of one of Joel Siegel's favorite comedies.

Jaymole
04-04-12, 01:45 PM
As I said before, nostalgia plays funny games with people's perception of quality :)

The 80's were sometimes a wasteland for me in trying to pick something halfway intelligent to see in the theater. I definitely have more options now, thankfully, the growth of Independent films starting in the late 80's helped..plus there is definitely a better crop of directors than we had in the lean 80's.

But I'd rather have this argument with someone in their early 20's or mid to late 50's and older than someone who grew up in the 80's as a child or teenager. I'm actually in between those years...and I definitely have very nostalgic feelings for some 80's films...but I guess not enough to cloud my judgement on what a nadir it was for film.

Shannon Nutt
04-04-12, 02:38 PM
How many people here actually saw Summer School in the theaters? :wave:

The only thing I remember about this movie (other than Mark Harmon and Kirstie Alley) was it came out the same weekend Superman IV did...and actually made more money!

What obscure 80s flick will be remade next? I vote for "Johnny-B-Goode". :)

Hokeyboy
04-04-12, 02:42 PM
"Classic" :lol: rotfl :lol:

It's a fun movie in an 80s-throwback sorta way, but we're talking in a "Weekend At Bernies" sorta way.

Matthew Chmiel
04-04-12, 03:06 PM
What obscure 80s flick will be remade next? I vote for "Johnny-B-Goode". :)
My vote:

http://mayopie.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/1soul_man_150.jpg

Hokeyboy
04-04-12, 03:15 PM
I... loved Soul Man. :( I mean it was a POS movie but it had its moments. I especially loved James Earl Jones's line about "If you have to work twice as hard as these little white shits, THEN YOU WILL DAMN WELL WORK TWICE AS HARD" when Howell was complaining about racism being unfair. :up:

Terrell
04-04-12, 03:38 PM
Adam Sandler jumped the shark a very long time ago.

inri222
04-04-12, 04:32 PM
If you want to start a thread 'The 80's were the worst decade for movies,' I'm always game for a fun debate. Some of my favorite movies like Empire Strikes Back, Back to the Future, Platoon, Field of Dreams, Hoosiers, Rain Man, Caddyshack, The Breakfast Club and Ghostbusters comes out of that decade, so hit me with your best argument! :)

If you decide to that, here is some more ammunition.

Raging Bull
Damnation
Videodrome
The Big Red One
The Verdict
From the Life of Marionettes
The ballad of Narayama
Nostalghia
Cobra Verde
The Seventh Continent
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Cinema Paradiso
Once Upon a Time in America
Mon Oncle d'Amérique
The Sacrifice
Black Rain (Shôhei Imamura)
Blade Runner
Law of Desire
El Norte
Ran
Do the Right Thing
Blow Out
Blue Velvet
The Elephant Man
House of Games
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Brazil
Das Boot
Identification of a Woman
The Last Emperor
This Is Spinal Tap
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Prince of the City
The Ninth Configuration
Matador
sex, lies, and videotape
The Element of Crime
Ordinary People
Hannah and Her Sisters
Fitzcarraldo
When Harry Met Sally
The Killer
Insignificanse
Melvin and Howard
Mississippi Burning
Confidence
Blood Simple
Scanners
Kagemusha
Wings of Desire
Tender Mercies
Coal Miner's Daughter
Stranger Than Paradise
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
The Fly
Coup de torchon
Drugstore Cowboy
Atlantic City
Dead Ringers
Sophie's Choice
My Left Foot
Jean de Florette
Reds
Berlin Alexanderplatz
Mystery Train
The Killing Fields
Breaker Morant
Dekalog
Manhunter
The Mission
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Zelig
The Last Metro
Missing
The Long Good Friday
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Prizzi's Honor
Fanny and Alexander
The King of Comedy
Withnail & I
Paris, Texas
Veronika Voss
Full Metal Jacket
The Dead
Gloria
The Vanishing
Hope and Glory
Altered States
My Dinner with Andre
Sid & Nancy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
The Color of Money
The Last Temptation of Christ
Mona Lisa
Bad Timing
The Blues Brothers
Shogun Assassin
Out of the Blue
Gallipoli
Dressed to Kill

JTH182
04-05-12, 12:58 AM
What's next, a PRIVATE SCHOOL remake?

Jaymole
04-05-12, 06:38 AM
If you decide to that, here is some more ammunition.

Raging Bull
Damnation
Videodrome
The Big Red One
The Verdict
From the Life of Marionettes
The ballad of Narayama
Nostalghia
Cobra Verde
The Seventh Continent
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Cinema Paradiso
Once Upon a Time in America
Mon Oncle d'Amérique
The Sacrifice
Black Rain (Shôhei Imamura)
Blade Runner
Law of Desire
El Norte
Ran
Do the Right Thing
Blow Out
Blue Velvet
The Elephant Man
House of Games
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Brazil
Das Boot
Identification of a Woman
The Last Emperor
This Is Spinal Tap
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Prince of the City
The Ninth Configuration
Matador
sex, lies, and videotape
The Element of Crime
Ordinary People
Hannah and Her Sisters
Fitzcarraldo
When Harry Met Sally
The Killer
Insignificanse
Melvin and Howard
Mississippi Burning
Confidence
Blood Simple
Scanners
Kagemusha
Wings of Desire
Tender Mercies
Coal Miner's Daughter
Stranger Than Paradise
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
The Fly
Coup de torchon
Drugstore Cowboy
Atlantic City
Dead Ringers
Sophie's Choice
My Left Foot
Jean de Florette
Reds
Berlin Alexanderplatz
Mystery Train
The Killing Fields
Breaker Morant
Dekalog
Manhunter
The Mission
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Zelig
The Last Metro
Missing
The Long Good Friday
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Prizzi's Honor
Fanny and Alexander
The King of Comedy
Withnail & I
Paris, Texas
Veronika Voss
Full Metal Jacket
The Dead
Gloria
The Vanishing
Hope and Glory
Altered States
My Dinner with Andre
Sid & Nancy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
The Color of Money
The Last Temptation of Christ
Mona Lisa
Bad Timing
The Blues Brothers
Shogun Assassin
Out of the Blue
Gallipoli
Dressed to Kill

Nice try, but the fact that you had to throw in so many foreign films, proves my point :)

Hokeyboy
04-05-12, 07:19 AM
^That everyone else in the world outside of North America went directly from 1979 to 1990? :confused:

Jaymole
04-05-12, 07:45 AM
^That everyone else in the world outside of North America went directly from 1979 to 1990? :confused:

No, I was talking about American film only in making my statement that the 1980's was the worst decade for films overall, especially creative & intelligent ones.

FYI: I do consider worldwide cinema today to be stronger than it was in the 80's, but that is another debate.

Hokeyboy
04-05-12, 09:18 AM
I've always felt that the 80s had MUCH better writing, directing, and acting in their "big blockbuster movies" than the 90s or 00s. Generally speaking, the filmmakers trusted their audiences' intelligence a whole lot more. Mainly because people were smarter back then, and they didn't need as much ADD-catering idiocy and explosions for their entertainment.

On the other hand, smaller independent and art films were not as strong or memorable in the 80s as they were when filmmaking became a lot more accessible to voices outside the system.

All I know is, in the summer of 1988, right before I left for college, I caught Die Hard, A Fish Called Wanda, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit all in the same week. And it was pretty much the greatest week of first-run in-theater movie watching in my life. :up:

Lastdaysofrain
04-05-12, 01:02 PM
I saw Summer School in theaters, it came out the same week as Revenge of the Nerds II if I remember correctly. Summer of 87 was a good time.

Also, if you are on Twitter, please help the cause to get me cast as Mr Shoop in the remake #kenreidasmrshoop

Groucho
04-05-12, 01:05 PM
Come on dude, I voted for you to be Leesburg District Supervisor -- isn't that enough?

Lastdaysofrain
04-05-12, 01:52 PM
I actually get email for that dude on occasion, I always answer it. I'm surprised I haven't set off a political fire storm yet.

Yeti4623
04-05-12, 10:42 PM
Off topic sort of:

I remember this trend in a lot of 80's/early 90's comedies: The ending turns into some kind of action and/or chase sequence. Usually played straight. I wonder what that was all about.

Solid Snake
04-05-12, 10:53 PM
it was about the 80s, man. The 80s.

eton rifles
04-09-12, 09:19 PM
" My Zipper got stuck".