DVD Talk
Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Tarantino
04-03-12, 10:51 AM
This is a prequel to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900) by L. Frank Baum, told from the point of view of the Wizard. It tells how the Wizard arrived in Oz and how he became the ruler.

Directed by Sam Raimi

Starring:
James Franco
Mila Kunis
Rachel Weisz
Zack Braff
Michelle Williams

Supermallet
04-03-12, 12:14 PM
Better than a remake.

islandclaws
04-03-12, 02:11 PM
But probably not better than nothing at all.

fumanstan
04-03-12, 02:33 PM
Interesting cast. Is there an actual story written about the wizard, or is this one just all made up by someone other then Baum?

Solid Snake
04-03-12, 07:56 PM
didn't we already have a thread on this?

Supermallet
04-03-12, 08:00 PM
But probably not better than nothing at all.

We don't know that yet. It could be good. Return To Oz is still pretty awesome after all these years.

islandclaws
04-03-12, 08:27 PM
I have hopes that Raimi can produce something unique and engaging, but when he's working on a big-budget film within a major studio I can easily see any special vision he has eschewed for something more commercial (i.e. an Alice in Wonderland 2).

outcastja
07-05-12, 02:00 PM
Teaser Poster

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/522121_10150929238030954_576969267_n.jpg

onebyone
07-05-12, 02:53 PM
I really am excited for this one. That poster is a nice tease.

Mike86
07-05-12, 02:56 PM
Cool poster. I have mixed feelings on this but I'll probably check it out.

Groucho
07-05-12, 03:15 PM
Sam Raimi? Not sure how I feel about "Emo Scarecrow".

WeylandYutani
07-05-12, 03:20 PM
Sam Raimi? Not sure how I feel about "Emo Scarecrow".

It's Sam Raimi, not Tim Burton.

Mondo Kane
07-05-12, 03:41 PM
So is Franco going to play the doorman, the cabbie and the guard as well?

PenguinJoe
07-05-12, 04:52 PM
Who is Zack Braff playing? And Burton would do a "Goth Scarecrow" not an EMO one.

glassdragon
07-05-12, 04:58 PM
It's Sam Raimi, not Tim Burton.

I'm fairly certain that was in reference to Emo Peter Parker from Spiderman 3

Matthew Chmiel
07-05-12, 05:15 PM
http://i.minus.com/i24Pv1aXcpKeU.gif

Solid Snake
07-05-12, 05:41 PM
....i hate you for posting that.

Matthew Chmiel
07-05-12, 06:44 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u30/artix709/Random%20crap/emopeterparkerdance.gif

PatD
07-05-12, 06:45 PM
If this is *anything* like the 2010 "Alice in Wonderland"--I'm out. (I'm noticing that it has the producer of said movie...so I'm not holding out any hope).

I'm guessing there's going to be an underground rebellion of The Good Guys looking for The One who will lead/free them. Just remember that I said it first on this thread.

Matthew Chmiel
07-05-12, 06:52 PM
I'm guessing there's going to be an underground rebellion of The Good Guys looking for The One who will lead/free them. Just remember that I said it first on this thread.
I'd like to point out that Disney made an Oz movie once and it pushed the limits of a PG rating in 1985. Hell, it even carried a warning on the VHS label that the film might not be suitable for children.

If Raimi makes his Oz movie like Return to Oz, hell, this might be good.

PatD
07-05-12, 08:50 PM
^^
True. But that was before every major intellectual property geared towards a youth audience has to be RPG-ified for maximum merchandizing potential and therefore drained of anything limping towards originality.

But, I agree, "Return to Oz" rocked in its own perverse way.

outcastja
07-12-12, 07:59 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H9ZTP2k0DRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/ozthegreatandpowerful/

riotinmyskull
07-12-12, 08:14 PM
mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

islandclaws
07-12-12, 08:16 PM
rotfl

Holy fuckballs, that looks terrible.

Mike86
07-12-12, 08:37 PM
The little interest I had in this just went down the tubes.

freshticles
07-12-12, 08:41 PM
If this is *anything* like the 2010 "Alice in Wonderland"--I'm out. (I'm noticing that it has the producer of said movie...so I'm not holding out any hope).

Called it. It seriously looks like the exact same movie.

gp1086
07-12-12, 08:47 PM
Kinda disappointed with the tone of the trailer (never saw 2010's Alice in Wonderland, but I'm getting the exact same impression).

I'm still interested though, given that The Wizard of Oz is one of my all-time favorites.

RobLutter
07-12-12, 08:52 PM
So they remade Alice in Wonderland... with a Tornado instead of a Rabbit Hole.

BRILLIANT! 80mm $ opening weekend secured!

Tarantino
07-12-12, 09:10 PM
That looks pretty bad, but I bet it makes a killing at the box office.

GenPion
07-12-12, 09:32 PM
I thought it was a pretty good first-trailer. It doesn't give much away about the direction of the film (besides the obvious) and it appears as though the film is going to be visually inventive (as per usual, given that this is a Sam Raimi film).

Matthew Chmiel
07-12-12, 09:34 PM
Oz is supposed to be from Omaha, Nebraska in Baum's original novel.

Groucho
07-12-12, 09:36 PM
Teaser was too short to draw any conclusions. The last movie with Franco and a bunch of monkeys turned out okay.

anomynous
07-12-12, 09:46 PM
So can we say the Evil Dead trilogy was a fluke now?

Deftones
07-12-12, 10:03 PM
doesn't look good, but the concept never seemed like something i wanted to see anyway.

Artman
07-12-12, 10:56 PM
I thought it was a pretty good first-trailer.

Yeah, same with me. I don't think it'll be a great film, but it could turn out pretty good. The b/w opening certainly is more creative than I was expecting.

Tom Creo
07-12-12, 11:11 PM
:lol: at all the naysayers based off a teaser.

Im interested. I hope theres a scene of Franco eating pie.

edstein
07-12-12, 11:15 PM
Really, have you seen Alice in Wonderland? This looks exactly the same as that piece of trash.

Tom Creo
07-12-12, 11:18 PM
I can agree that the look of the film reminds me of Alice but I like the actors in Oz (Franco, Weisz) much better than anyone in AiW. Not ready to dismiss it.

RichC2
07-12-12, 11:19 PM
Looks better than Alice to me, looks like a more fun Imagnarium of Dr. Parnassus.

PatD
07-13-12, 12:08 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H9ZTP2k0DRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/ozthegreatandpowerful/

@01:27

Oh, GODDAMN IT.

Why does every frickin major SF/Fantasy movie have to be a Hero of a Thousand Faces variation?! :vomit:

Tarantino
07-13-12, 01:00 AM
Zach Braff was in that trailer for .1 second, throwing Franco his hat.

Why So Blu?
07-13-12, 11:37 AM
Wow, that looked like Van Helsing mixed in with Alice and Wonderland. Rental.

clappj
07-13-12, 11:57 AM
Zach Braff was in that trailer for .1 second, throwing Franco his hat.

He's also in there for another .1 sec at the beginning of the trailer.
Perhaps you blinked and missed that appearance.

wm lopez
07-13-12, 05:45 PM
The Wizard was kinda a goofball in the 1939 movie and in the trailer he doesn't act that way.

Groucho
07-13-12, 05:50 PM
I don't think they have the rights to the 1939 movie so this is sort-of a generic prequel to the Oz stories in general. Like Wicked.

arminius
07-13-12, 06:32 PM
Is that Godzilla at the 50 second mark on the right in the distance?

whotony
07-13-12, 10:04 PM
I always had the impression that the Wizard was the goofy magician guy Dorothy ran into just before the tornado and he getnere same as her but just earlier.

wm lopez
07-14-12, 06:00 AM
THE WIZARD OF OZ was dream. Wasn't it?
That's what I got out of it when Dorothy wakes up.
What did the book say?

Groucho
07-14-12, 10:23 AM
There's several books, no dream.

MoviePage
07-14-12, 10:49 AM
This movie has some bizarre casting decisions. On the other hand, the only thing that really interests me about it is the inclusion of Rachel Weisz.

Shannon Nutt
07-14-12, 04:09 PM
Sheesh guys...just because it has a similar LOOK to ALICE IN WONDERLAND doesn't mean it's going to be as equally bad. Different director/different method of storytelling (or in Burton's case - NO method of storytelling). I'll take Raimi and Franco over Burton and Depp any day of the week...I'll bet you this turns out to be pretty good.

Mr. Cinema
07-14-12, 05:50 PM
:lol: at all the naysayers based off a teaser.
I'm guessing you were a naysayer of The Amazing Spider-Man after its first teaser.

Tom Creo
07-14-12, 06:07 PM
Naw.............when it was announced I was a naysayer.

Solid Snake
07-18-12, 03:14 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vxEyTKtGTUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gJk2g7DE17o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

onebyone
07-18-12, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the links Solid Snake PAC.

The guy who called Mila Kunis a man is going to be hearing that for awhile :lol:

I am very excited for this movie. I think the subject matter is great for Sam's directorial style, and I cannot wait to see how it turns out.

Terrell
11-21-12, 05:45 PM
Well, based on the trailer the performances look stiff as a board. Mila Kunis can't act. Was she really wearing skin tight spandex? Rachel Weisz can act, and she looks stiff and bland as well. Michelle Williams is decidedly "meh" in my opinion, and she doesn't look all that great either.

Dr. DVD
02-10-13, 03:23 PM
Actually, I think Kunis is wearing leather pants, possibly the ones she had on when she posed for the cover of Esquire.

I am going to bet

they steal a bit from Wicked for this one. It appears to show Kunis and Franco kissing, and I recall reading somewhere that Kunis was playing the Witch of the West. Obviously leaked before any plot details were out there, so no one thought of it as a spoiler at the time. Weisz must be the Witch of the East, as she is Kunis' sister in this and can be seen clashing with Williams in a shot. I am guessing Kunis is either the Witch in disguise, or something happens to make her transform after things go south with Oz.

fallfan
02-25-13, 12:22 AM
Saw a fan screening today at Epcot center. I enjoyed the film, certainly more than Alice In Wonderland, which I found boring. As a big Sam Raimi fan, I was pleasantly surprised to find many of his signature camera touches throughout the film, especially during the tornado sequences and the depiction of the Wicked Witch (some very Evil Dead/Deadite vibes there). Someone on twitter called it Army of Darkness for kids, which isn't too far off as their plots are quite similar at times. It definatly sags in the middle, but theres some good laughs and I thought Franco did a good job. Probably would give it a 7.5

Dr. DVD
02-25-13, 03:32 PM
^ I only have one question:

Does the car make an appearance? ;)

fallfan
02-25-13, 09:14 PM
^ I only have one question:

Does the car make an appearance? ;)

I honestly was looking, but couldn't find it! I'll be curious to find out, its got to be in there somewhere.

Dr. DVD
02-26-13, 04:26 PM
I've been thinking about your statement of this being an Army of Darkness for youngsters, and if that is the case, I actually have a pretty good idea about the plot (at least I think I do).

Wizard= Ash, Flying Monkeys and Henchmen=Dead Army, Quest to destroy witch= plot to unleash the dead, Mila Kunis="Baby, you got real ugly" girl.

fallfan
02-27-13, 03:36 PM
I've been thinking about your statement of this being an Army of Darkness for youngsters, and if that is the case, I actually have a pretty good idea about the plot (at least I think I do).

Wizard= Ash, Flying Monkeys and Henchmen=Dead Army, Quest to destroy witch= plot to unleash the dead, Mila Kunis="Baby, you got real ugly" girl.

Spot on!

Dr. DVD
02-27-13, 04:46 PM
Spot on!

Bruce Campbell cameo per chance? Does Franco at least say a variation on the "you got ugly" line? If so, this could be quite a blast for Raimi fans who are "getting it." I would also say there's a chance for a parallel with the AoD opening with Dorothy's home falling on the Witch of East the way the car fell on a deadite.

fallfan
02-28-13, 11:21 AM
Bruce Campbell cameo per chance? Does Franco at least say a variation on the "you got ugly" line? If so, this could be quite a blast for Raimi fans who are "getting it." I would also say there's a chance for a parallel with the AoD opening with Dorothy's home falling on the Witch of East the way the car fell on a deadite.

Bruce is there, although it isn't a surprise since he's in the opening credits (even though its really just a cameo). There is something that happens to his character fans will appreciate who have followed the "abusive" working relationship of Raimi and Campbell. The ugly line would have been awesome, but sadly doesn't happen.

Obey The D
03-01-13, 11:32 AM
If you are trying to avoid spoilers for this movie and have been successful so far, avoid this weeks Entertainment Weekly like the plague since the cover is one giant spoiler. I think most people who are following the movie already knew about it since they haven't worked too hard on keeping it a secret.

Mr. Cinema
03-01-13, 11:43 AM
A few reviews have shown up on RT. Currently 57%.

Mike86
03-01-13, 01:36 PM
I'm kind of curious about this film as I generally like Raimi and The Wizard of Oz was a childhood favorite (I'm sure it was for many of us). From the previews though I get the feeling that the film is either going to be really average or really bad.

EdTheRipper
03-01-13, 01:59 PM
If you are trying to avoid spoilers for this movie and have been successful so far, avoid this weeks Entertainment Weekly like the plague since the cover is one giant spoiler. I think most people who are following the movie already knew about it since they haven't worked to hard on keeping it a secret.

I actually received that issue in today's mail. In the article, they actually write "The actress who ends up going green - whose identity we won't spoil -...."
I laughed my ass off after reading that because the cover image completely spoils the identity of the actress.
:lol:

RocShemp
03-01-13, 02:03 PM
Yeah, the cover pretty much spoils it. However, it's whom I guessed based on the trailers.

Groucho
03-01-13, 02:25 PM
Who's doing the marketing for this film, Robert Zemeckis? :lol:

That said, that spoiler was literally the FIRST THING I learned about the movie, because it was an article written when the actress was cast and it spelled out who she'd be playing.

RichC2
03-01-13, 02:37 PM
The reviews are a bit mixed so far, but the reviews that like it seem to really like it and the reviews that don't aren't overbearingly negative.

Jay G.
03-01-13, 09:31 PM
For a spoilerific look at the EW cover, go here:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/02/27/this-weeks-cover-oz-the-great-and-powerful/

Dr. DVD
03-03-13, 01:00 PM
Who's doing the marketing for this film, Robert Zemeckis? :lol:

That said, that spoiler was literally the FIRST THING I learned about the movie, because it was an article written when the actress was cast and it spelled out who she'd be playing.

I remember reading that as well. In fact, when I saw the first teaser I actually was thinking "isn't Mila Kunis supposed to play the Witch of the West?" Then I realized that this was apparently just a poorly kept secret. :) The cover doesn't list the actress who is the witch, but anyone can see that's her in make-up with a fake nose. Not to mention that she still has on the black leggings.

Saw that Danny Elfman did the music for this one, seems that he does his best work with Raimi and Burton. FWIW, I would be willing to bet that had Johnny Depp been cast as Oz before anything else was written, this would be yet another collaboration between him and Burton.

I'll also say that the reviews for Alice in Wonderland were quite meddling as well, but because it was such a huge hit, nobody cared in retrospect, and it seems the critics are forgetting they bashed that one and referring to it fondly at this point.

whotony
03-03-13, 01:15 PM
Why the secret on who is playing Theodora?

Dr. DVD
03-03-13, 05:04 PM
I think the whole secret will be about as big a surprise as when we discovered Senator Palpatine was actually Darth Sidious.

MoviePage
03-03-13, 05:26 PM
I think the whole secret will be about as big a surprise as when we discovered Senator Palpatine was actually Darth Sidious.

Thanks for ruining that! -ohbfrank-

Dr. DVD
03-03-13, 08:15 PM
Oh, and Darth Vader is Luke's father, and Leia is his sister.

The Valeyard
03-03-13, 11:40 PM
Saw that Danny Elfman did the music for this one, seems that he does his best work with Raimi and Burton.

I didn't know Elfman did the music. I thought he said he would never work with Raimi again after Spider-Man 2?

Dr. DVD
03-04-13, 11:02 AM
I didn't know Elfman did the music. I thought he said he would never work with Raimi again after Spider-Man 2?

Money talks and hypocrites walk I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/Oz-the-Great-and-Powerful/dp/B00BFXG4F6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362412692&sr=8-1&keywords=oz+the+great+and+powerful+soundtrack

Jay G.
03-04-13, 11:13 AM
To be fair, it doesn't appear that Elfman ever said that he'd "never" work with Raimi again, just that he had a horrible time on Spiderman 2 and wasn't doing Spiderman 3:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=5652
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/danny_elfman_makes_peace_with_sam_raimi_to_score_oz_the_great_and_powerful
i. "I'm not working on 'Spider-Man 3,'" the composer said. "I'm out of that. I won't miss not doing it. 'Spider-Man 2' was a miserable experience. It's like my connection with Sam got completely severed. As far as I'm concerned, he went to sleep, somebody put a pod next to him and when he awoke, he wasn't the same person I'd known for a decade. He went from right there number two on my list of favorite directors to the exact opposite of what I look for in a film experience which is everything I could do on 'Spider-Man 1,' I couldn't do on 'Spider-Man 2.' He got so intensely attached to the temp music that I couldn't even adapt my own music close enough. Let me put it that way. I couldn't get close enough to me, least of all anybody else who was in the temp score. It's the first time I've ever walked from a director in 20 years and hopefully the last time I have to turn my back on somebody but it became like intolerable. And I've been on some heavy duty films, so to say that, it had to be pretty bad. I've been in war zones you couldn't believe in 55 films but this is the first time I said, 'I've had it. It's just not worth it. I'd rather go back to waiting tables than to do 'Spider-Man 2' again, to have to have the same experience."

RocShemp
03-04-13, 11:28 AM
I never knew that Elfman had a falling out with raimi over SM2.

RichC2
03-04-13, 11:42 AM
Me neither, but reading that it seems like Sam was really passionate about SM2 which is probably why it turned out as well as it did (compared to the other two entries.)

MoviePage
03-05-13, 08:58 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z4Ezruu1oeQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dex14
03-05-13, 09:11 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z4Ezruu1oeQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was fantastic. Whats the backstory here? They just sent someone whos never done an interview to try it with her? Was he a fan who won a chance at interviewing?

You know these actors get soooooooooo bored at junkets so something like this obviously was fun for her.

RichC2
03-05-13, 09:23 AM
He's a radio personality

Shannon Nutt
03-05-13, 03:38 PM
It's hard to tell if that interviewer was doing schtick or was really honest...the final part about getting naked at weddings I think is a tip off that he went into that interview with an agenda. Still, Mila's reaction to everything is the best part.

devilshalo
03-05-13, 04:51 PM

I think he actually thought Burton was doing the film and said yes. ;)

hanshotfirst1138
03-06-13, 06:32 PM
From making controversial video nasties to working on a Disney film? Ah, the time, they are a'changin'. Hey, maybe they could call this Bedknobs and Boomsticks!

HAHA! I'm here all night ladies and gentleman, thank you!

whotony
03-06-13, 08:05 PM
That wasn't funny

TomOpus
03-06-13, 08:27 PM
For those in the Kansas City area, Union Station will show the movie for 2 weeks on their recently renovated Extreme Screen. 5 stories tall and 80 feet wide, it's the largest 3D screen in the area. They have 2 Barco 4k projectors and a JBL sound system. Might have to check it out.

Jay G.
03-06-13, 10:11 PM
From making controversial video nasties to working on a Disney film? Ah, the time, they are a'changin'.
I think a faster turnaround would be Bob Clark, who went from Porky's and Porky's 2 to A Christmas Story.

Dr. DVD
03-07-13, 12:16 PM
I think a faster turnaround would be Bob Clark, who went from Porky's and Porky's 2 to A Christmas Story.

FWIW, I think his turn from the original Black Christmas to his comedies was a bit bigger.

While they are obviously way more mature in nature, the Porky's movies share a bit more with A Christmas Story than one might think. They are both comedies, and both take place during America's pasttime of the late 40s to mid 50s. Christmas Story is simply done at a time when life is a whole lot more innocent for people, and Porky's when hormones are raging.

Anyhoo, back to the topic, I hope this provides some good entertainment and doesn't reek of studio intervention like Spider-Man 3. :)

whotony
03-07-13, 01:37 PM
Hans, why'd you delete that post?

I'm Philadelphian not Philistine.

islandclaws
03-07-13, 01:47 PM
Not entirely sure why, but I think I'll check this out tonight since Regal is doing 8pm showings. I'm mainly going just because it's Raimi.

Dr. DVD
03-07-13, 01:52 PM
Not entirely sure why, but I think I'll check this out tonight since Regal is doing 8pm showings. I'm mainly going just because it's Raimi.

Raimi is the only reason I'm interested. Wonder when we'll get a reviews thread?

Why So Blu?
03-07-13, 01:59 PM
I'm not interested in this flick. I'll rent it.

Terrell
03-07-13, 04:14 PM
When I saw this film, I somehow knew it wasn't going to be worth the price of a ticket. It just keeps falling on rottentomatoes.com. By the time all the reviews are in, it won't even be at 50%, and might fall close to 40%.

RichC2
03-07-13, 04:16 PM
So you saw the film? It upticked from 54% to 60%

Terrell
03-07-13, 04:24 PM
So you saw the film? It upticked from 54% to 60%

That's not saying much when it's 20 points lower than it started off, and it keeps going lower every time I check the site. I've checked the site 5 times and every time it's lower than the last time. Less than half the reviews are in, and the film currently sits at a whopping 32% with top critics, and those are the critics I most pay attention to when I'm on the fence about a movie.

My prediction about the movie sucking is based off of what I saw in the trailer, and it's still and bland looking performances. Who knows? It's possible I might enjoy it if I see it on cable, in spite of reviews. However, this is not an automatic buy for me. Some movies are and I ignore the critics. We'll see what the rest of the critics say.

RichC2
03-07-13, 04:28 PM
Well there's a pretty substantial difference between when it was at 80% (and had 5 reviews) and now.

That said I'm not defending the movie, I think it looks like cheese and I'm not an Oz fan to begin with.

I do like me some Mila Kunis though, but I have Black Swan for that.

Tom Creo
03-07-13, 05:09 PM
When I saw this film, I somehow knew it wasn't going to be worth the price of a ticket. It just keeps falling on rottentomatoes.com. By the time all the reviews are in, it won't even be at 50%, and might fall close to 40%.

Dude, is there a movie you do like? Every post you're shit canning flix.

DaveyJoe
03-07-13, 05:24 PM

He likes Len Wiseman movies oddly enough.

hanshotfirst1138
03-07-13, 05:59 PM
So does the famous Victor Fleming movie have any relation to the Baum novels, or does it just use the basic premise? Do the books have a darker tone or something?

Supermallet
03-07-13, 06:13 PM

The Star Wars prequels.

Tom Creo
03-07-13, 06:42 PM
He used to, now he skull fucks them, too.

Chrisedge
03-07-13, 09:03 PM
...FWIW, I would be willing to bet that had Johnny Depp been cast as Oz before anything else was written, this would be yet another collaboration between him and Burton...

Depp was Raimi's 2nd choice after Robert Downey Jr.

Arpeggi
03-07-13, 10:51 PM

Star Wars.

Terrell
03-07-13, 11:55 PM
He likes Len Wiseman movies oddly enough.

Actually, I thoroughly enjoyed Live Free Or Die Hard. The best Die Hard sequel in my opinion. I didn't care for Total Recall, although I thought they might do something halfway interesting. They didn't!

However, do me a favor in the future. Don't try and speak for me.

The Star Wars prequels.

LOL! You might want to try again. Most Star Wars fans defended them originally out of blind loyalty. After multiple viewings and time passing, you realize that they aren't very good and pale in comparison to the originals.

Plenty! I just haven't been compelled to comment on them, probably because I haven't been able to go to many movies the last few months. I comment one what interests me at the moment, and at the moment everything I was remotely interested in looks completely shitty. I thoroughly enjoyed Zero Dark Thirty. Although I just saw it just the other day. I'd like to be positive on the new Star Wars films, but I just have a feeling they're going to fuck them up, and Disney is going to whore them out ten times worse than Lucas did.

bluetoast
03-08-13, 12:50 AM
I enjoyed this. Never read the books, but it has a lot of interesting elements that come together pretty well.

PenguinJoe
03-08-13, 01:39 AM
the reviews have been horrible, but I have to agree with the reviewer that said The Wizard wasn't some young hipster he should have been cast as Robin Williams or Paul Giamatti. Personally I would have gone for Bill Murray.

islandclaws
03-08-13, 02:01 AM
Just got back.

Christ, this was BAD. Did Raimi just shoot the first fucking draft he got?

Franco was a horrid lead. Why do people cast him to anchor a film this large? The motherfucker sleepwalks through everything.

Kunis was wayyy too over the top. She's hot as hell, but even that doesn't last long.

Weisz was underdeveloped and unnecessary.

The story had zero organic flow to it; they just connected the dots in every cliche way possible to get us to the "set it up for how we remember the original being" ending.

The visuals were basically Alice In Wonderland 2; nothing impressed.

Might just be Elfman's worst score ever. So fucking lazy, it's clear he isn't even trying at this point.

There's the slightest hint of Raimi's signature style in a few shots, but you'd never know he did this otherwise.

Campbell's cameo was dumb. Ted Raimi's was unnoticeable.

The 3D started off effective, but quickly wound up adding nothing but a surcharge to my ticket. Hardly immersive; it was mostly flat.

Avoid.

bluetoast
03-08-13, 02:10 AM
Hmm, glad I didn't see it in 3D then. I do agree that the score was unmemorable, and that Kunis sucked.

Matthew Chmiel
03-08-13, 03:14 AM
It was okay and far superior in every aspect to the shitfest known as Jack the Giant Slayer.

Anubis2005X
03-08-13, 12:27 PM
Maybe I was just in the right mood for it, but I loved it. I like how it all came together and Franco was cracking me up. The 3D was pretty good too, but not essential (like most cases).

Giles
03-08-13, 06:30 PM
Maybe I was just in the right mood for it, but I loved it. I like how it all came together and Franco was cracking me up. The 3D was pretty good too, but not essential (like most cases).

I didn't love it, but I was very entertained. I thought though technically the film is amazing in the 3D department and the Dolby Atmos mix which is simply outstanding. If you can't hear it in Atmos, at least check it out in 7.1

Dr. DVD
03-08-13, 06:59 PM
Saw it. Didn't love either, but I too was entertained. It wasn't all eye-candy with no characters to care about like Alice in Wonderland. The 3D is mostly good, and I loved how it not only transitioned from B/W to color, but from 1:33 to 2:35 as well. Lots of stuff in there for fans of the original Wizard and of the book Wicked as well. That said, this movie still seemed to lack something. I enjoyed all the little Raimi nods, but I can't help but feel this movie doesn't really know its identity that well. Franco did a good job overall, but if he was truly the third choice for the role, it's comes across. Oz was clearly written for someone else, and it sticks in your mind while viewing. I thought the women did well enough with what they had written. Kunis did come across as a weak link at first, but I feel she did a much better job at playing the Witch. She seemed to really get into the whole over the top stuff typical of Raimi villains. I also read that she did the laugh on her own without much enhancement. If so, good on her. I also think the movie tried to borrow a bit too much from Revenge of the Sith in terms of its two villains, but that's just me.
I give it three stars out of four. Doesn't fall to far up on the list of Raimi movies unfortunately. Better than Spider-Man 3, but that doesn't say much. In terms of recent prequels, I would say it's better than the first two Star Wars and maybe a bit below The first Hobbit. Hey, at least it got everything into one movie and didn't make a trilogy. ;)

A little off topic, but does anyone else notice that over the top acting and ham fisted stuff seems a bit common in Raimi movies? I'm not bashing him at all, but aside from A Simple Plan and The Gift, his movies seem like the actors are purposefully trying to act a B-level at times.

GatorDeb
03-08-13, 07:11 PM
This was my 73rd movie since joining MoviePass (Month 5, week 2). This is the FIRST time I don't check my watch at all during a movie. Totally fantastic and spellbinding. Not saying it was the "best" movie but it was just captivating. Saw it on IMAX 3D (for $6.50 out of pocket, $1 out of pocket for 3D, $6.50 for IMAX... if it's in one of those formats, I watch it in one of those formats).

Totally totally awesome movie.

PenguinJoe
03-08-13, 08:00 PM
Knowing how good it could have been is what disappoints me the most.

Robert Downey Jr. has now backed away from Oz: Great And Powerful, the new spin on the Wizard of Oz tale to be directed by Sam Raimi for Disney. Now, according to THR, the studio's house talent Johnny Depp is in early talks to take his place. They've been hoping to start production on the project in the second half of this year, and the real question is if Depp can make room for it with Tim Burton's Dark Shadows, Disney's Jerry Bruckheimer-produced Lone Ranger and possibly more Pirates sequels all shooting within the foreseeable future.

Oz: Great and Powerful is just one of many revisionist takes on Dorothy's adventures in production at the various studios right now, but it was one of the most high-profile, with Rabbit Hole writer David Lindsay-Abaire putting together a rewrite and Disney leaning hard to get the whole thing into production. Even though Downey Jr. seems perfect to play the part of a young, charismatic and maybe a little messy Wizard of Oz, it's not entirely surprising to see him back away-- he played the same game with Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity, eventually getting replaced by George Clooney, and given his commitments to the Sherlock Holmes and Iron Man sequels he seems wary of getting involved in even more giant movies. He's likely been in the industry long enough to know what happens when a star gets overexposed, and is rightly anticipating the inevitable day when the name "Robert Downey Jr." elicits not excitement, but an exhausted shrug.

But you know what's not going to help anything? Replacing Downey Jr., with an actor who's even more exposed, poor Johnny Depp, who seems to be trapped in a widening gyre of franchises and sequels and whatever Tim Burton has drafted him to do next. It's almost as if Robert Downey Jr. saw himself on the Johnny Depp path, figured Oz: Great and Powerful was just another step down the path, and bailed. But if Depp winds up in this one too, we'll know Disney has some seriously damning blackmail against him, or he's busy building a lot of vacation houses in France that he needs to pay for.

RoboDad
03-08-13, 08:01 PM
The average audience rating at Rotten Tomatoes is at 4.1/5 with about 41000 ratings. That sounds pretty good. And it seems to have stabilized on the tomatometer at 60%.

Reading some of the critics' reviews, a few are harsh and many are mixed, but there are still quite a few that have some very nice things to say about the film. I'm still stoked to see it.

Dr. DVD
03-08-13, 08:23 PM
Anyone else think that the Witch of the West shared a lot of characteristics with the Green Goblin?

Terrell
03-08-13, 09:05 PM
Disney is already going ahead with a sequel, that Raimi has passed on. I'm not even sure how this translates to a franchise, but that's Disney for you.

http://collider.com/sam-raimi-oz-the-great-and-powerful-sequel/

Arpeggi
03-08-13, 10:01 PM
This was my 73rd movie since joining MoviePass (Month 5, week 2). This is the FIRST time I don't check my watch at all during a movie. Totally fantastic and spellbinding. Not saying it was the "best" movie but it was just captivating. Saw it on IMAX 3D (for $6.50 out of pocket, $1 out of pocket for 3D, $6.50 for IMAX... if it's in one of those formats, I watch it in one of those formats).

Totally totally awesome movie.

I've noticed you have terrible taste in films so thanks for the warning. :up:

GatorDeb
03-08-13, 10:22 PM
I've noticed you have terrible taste in films so thanks for the warning. :up:

Hey, if putting someone down with an unwarranted personal attack because they do not share the same likes or dislikes as you makes your day a little brighter, happy to oblige.

Dr. DVD
03-08-13, 10:36 PM
Hey, if putting someone down with an unwarranted personal attack because they do not share the same likes or dislikes as you makes your day a little brighter, happy to oblige.

:thumbsup:

Mike86
03-08-13, 11:21 PM
I was actually really surprised with this movie. I didn't think I would really care for it much but my dad wanted to see it and I had some curiosity so went tonight. I liked it a lot, really a fun movie in my opinion. It wasn't perfect but it was Disney magic at it's best if you ask me and was really entertaining. James Franco was good in it too and I'm usually not a big fan of him.

hanshotfirst1138
03-08-13, 11:30 PM
That wasn't funny

Philistine :p.

whotony
03-08-13, 11:39 PM
philistine.

Dr. DVD
03-09-13, 10:49 AM
Anyone else think the Wicked Witch sounded a lot like pissed off Meg Griffin?

Anubis2005X
03-09-13, 11:04 AM

Not sure if serious... -confused-

Jules Winfield
03-09-13, 11:16 AM

She sounds more like that girl that was in That 70's Show. Gila Poonis or something like that.

Dr. DVD
03-09-13, 11:23 AM
She sounds more like that girl that was in That 70's Show. Gila Poonis or something like that.

Come to think of it, I recollect Venom sounding a lot like the "dumb ass" character from that show as well. Raimi sure has an interesting track record for villain casting.

Why So Blu?
03-09-13, 11:28 AM
Made 22 million yesterday alone.

Jules Winfield
03-09-13, 11:42 AM
Come to think of it, I recollect Venom sounding a lot like the "dumb ass" character from that show as well. Raimi sure has an interesting track record for villain casting.

I guess it's good Raimi left the Spider-Man franchise because we could've gotten Fez as The Vulture.

Deftones
03-09-13, 11:53 AM
Made 22 million yesterday alone.

Now they are saying $23.5 million (with midnight take) and on track for $74 million for the weekend.

Why So Blu?
03-09-13, 12:10 PM
I read that they already greenlit the sequel, but Raimi is not coming back.

dex14
03-09-13, 01:21 PM
Is anyone here familiar with the original source material? This might sound like an extremely dumb question but...If the original movie was a dream... how can there be a prequel to something where its not from the original dreamer's POV? Was the dream ending a liberty taken by the filmmakers of the original movie?

Jules Winfield
03-09-13, 01:56 PM
Is anyone here familiar with the original source material? This might sound like an extremely dumb question but...If the original movie was a dream... how can there be a prequel to something where its not from the original dreamer's POV? Was the dream ending a liberty taken by the filmmakers of the original movie?

I haven't read the books but I don't think there was a dream aspect. Dorothy actually traveled to a place called Oz.

onebyone
03-09-13, 03:02 PM
That was a fun time at the movies. It had the right tone, it looked fantastic in 3d, the sound was great, the story was fun, I had a really good time with this.

The only negative I had was that Kunis seemed a bit flat at the start, but she got much better as the story went on. I really liked Franco in the role too. I have no real complaints and will definitely be getting the blu.

Daytripper
03-09-13, 03:53 PM
Just got back.

Franco was a horrid lead. Why do people cast him to anchor a film this large? The motherfucker sleepwalks through everything.

Kunis was wayyy too over the top. She's hot as hell, but even that doesn't last long.

Weisz was underdeveloped and unnecessary.

The story had zero organic flow to it; they just connected the dots in every cliche way possible to get us to the "set it up for how we remember the original being" ending.

The visuals were basically Alice In Wonderland 2; nothing impressed.

Might just be Elfman's worst score ever. So fucking lazy, it's clear he isn't even trying at this point.

There's the slightest hint of Raimi's signature style in a few shots, but you'd never know he did this otherwise.

Campbell's cameo was dumb. Ted Raimi's was unnoticeable.

The 3D started off effective, but quickly wound up adding nothing but a surcharge to my ticket. Hardly immersive; it was mostly flat.

Avoid.

Agree, agree, AGREE! Just got back and man, I fucking hated it. Franco sucked. Kunis is miscast. The CGI was overkill. The pacing was so awkward in parts. For example, anything the Master Tinker and Knuck said. Just fell flat and weren't funny or touching. But most of all, the script was TERRIBLE! When the witch yells "I HATE YOU!" to the Wizard, I just laughed out loud. Likewise, avoid.

Sondheim
03-09-13, 05:13 PM
Is anyone here familiar with the original source material? This might sound like an extremely dumb question but...If the original movie was a dream... how can there be a prequel to something where its not from the original dreamer's POV? Was the dream ending a liberty taken by the filmmakers of the original movie?To confirm what Jules said, in the original Baum books Oz definitely isn't a dream. In fact, Dorothy goes back to Oz multiple times (there are 14 books) and eventually ends up living there.

This movie isn't based on any of the original books, but I guess it takes place in Baum's version of Oz vs. the Judy Garland version.

Supermallet
03-09-13, 06:02 PM
Also from what I've read the later Oz books get pretty convoluted, all about power struggles and stuff. Sounded more like Narnia than anything else.

I felt like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland was Burton trying to do a version of Oz faithful to the books, then getting stuck with the Alice property so he just transferred it over (poorly).

hanshotfirst1138
03-09-13, 09:27 PM
I read that they already greenlit the sequel, but Raimi is not coming back.

I'd imagine that for someone like Raimi who's films are, if not "auteurist," then at least quite distinctive, working with Disney could very well have been a 900 pound gorilla on his back. Then again, who knows, maybe he liked having the resources and is just exhausted by the project and wants to move on to other things.

I was wondering this too, I actually asked a similar question about a page back:
So does the famous Victor Fleming movie have any relation to the Baum novels, or does it just use the basic premise? Do the books have a darker tone or something?

Also from what I've read the later Oz books get pretty convoluted, all about power struggles and stuff. Sounded more like Narnia than anything else.

For some reason, I never got past the first two Narnia books. Not because I didn't like them, I actually like them quite a bit, I just never got around to them. I will someday.

I felt like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland was Burton trying to do a version of Oz faithful to the books, then getting stuck with the Alice property so he just transferred it over (poorly).

I didn't think Burton's Alice film was anywhere near as terrible as many said, but I did think it was a bit generic and disappointing. I thought Burton and Alice In Wonderland would've been a match made in heaven, but it seemed like nearly all of the edges were sanded off. What I thought would've been exciting about Burton directing Alice In Wonderland was how he could've tapped into the dark tone, and the film had none of that. Though Burton might have long since passed the danger point of having become a one-trick pony, I hope but doubt he'll reinvent himself one day. Anyway....

Giles
03-09-13, 10:21 PM
To confirm what Jules said, in the original Baum books Oz definitely isn't a dream. In fact, Dorothy goes back to Oz multiple times (there are 14 books) and eventually ends up living there.

This movie isn't based on any of the original books, but I guess it takes place in Baum's version of Oz vs. the Judy Garland version.

major spoiler... :mad:

Terrell
03-09-13, 10:51 PM

Isn't the first draft usually the best? We often hear of scripts being re-written by multiple writers, and that's usually a bad sign. I'm sure there are exceptions, but how often do multiple writers who change scripts end up improving it?

I haven't see it, but the trailer, critical reaction, and some of the reactions here have made me decide not to waste the money.

Deftones
03-10-13, 11:54 AM
Looks like $80.3 million opening, which is fucking huge for March. Also did $69.9 million overseas.

Troy Stiffler
03-10-13, 12:18 PM
Was the dream ending a liberty taken by the filmmakers of the original movie?

You're supposed to question whether it was a dream, or if it really happened.

I think the "it was all a dream" part was just a cover some sort of transition for how she left Oz.

I never thought it was literal.

I'll get around to watching this. But it's not appealing to me. Good for Raimi that the movie made so much money. I could see it being a flop.

Dr. DVD
03-10-13, 12:25 PM
Looks like $80.3 million opening, which is fucking huge for March. Also did $69.9 million overseas.

Not as big as Alice or Hunger Games, but this didn't have the Depp factor of the first or the teenage girl factor of the second (which can be huge).

You know, there were a lot of moments for Evil Dead nods that could have happened in this movie.

I think they should have employed the whole "evil camera" coming towards Theodora before she fell to the ground and emerged as the witch. Also, after Evanora's true form was revealed I was hoping Glinda would say "Hey, she bitch" before blasting her out the window.

Geeky, I know, but the opportunities were so present it's a shame they didn't happen. :(

TomOpus
03-10-13, 01:14 PM
I've noticed you have terrible taste in films so thanks for the warning. :up:Which movies do you recommend so far this year?

Dr. DVD
03-10-13, 05:23 PM
I'm thinking worldwide is where this movie will make the money to merit a sequel. I predict Burt Wonderstone will knock it out of the top spot next weekend in the U.S. , but comedies tend to only play well domestically. It apparently did major $$ on Saturday which doesn't surprise me. My showing didn't have that many, but it was playing on four screens and it was Friday afternoon, so that's probably why.

mostaccioli
03-10-13, 06:01 PM
i didn't like the casting of the 3 witches. what's with all human races ending up in OZ and then not there when Dorothy arrives?

Sondheim
03-10-13, 10:32 PM
major spoiler... :mad:Not sure if you're serious, but... I guess I just don't think about giving spoilers for 100-year old children's books.

Matthew Chmiel
03-10-13, 11:06 PM
Geeky, I know, but the opportunities were so present it's a shame they didn't happen. :(
When Evanora turned into the Wicked Witch of the East, I was hoping she'd scream out, "I'll swallow your soul!" to Oz.
Wasted opportunities all around.

movielib
03-11-13, 01:25 AM
what's with all human races ending up in OZ and then not there when Dorothy arrives?
Genozcide.

JumpCutz
03-11-13, 02:07 AM
:thumbsup:

Ozsome movielib.

whotony
03-11-13, 02:55 AM
Is it ever explained wjhy the Land of Oz was named for someone who hadn't been there yet?

GatorDeb
03-11-13, 07:33 AM
Is it ever explained wjhy the Land of Oz was named for someone who hadn't been there yet?

They said
They told us a wizard would come with the same name as our land and save it.

nickdawgy
03-11-13, 09:04 AM
I thought it was good. Nothing I'd want to own but it was good. My father in law loved it. He can't wait to buy the Blu-Ray.

nickdawgy
03-11-13, 09:09 AM

That's Arpeggi for you. When he posts you kind of shake your head and just mutter under your breath that he doesn't know any better.

Raul3
03-11-13, 09:19 AM
I went to see this because my 6 years old daughter wanted to see it. She really liked it. I enjoyed it, I read that the reviews were bad, or mixed, so I didn't have high expectations, so I was surprised that I was having a good time.

But we missed the ending because my daughter needed to go to the bathroom. :D

So what happens after...

Oz gives everyone a present at the end?

dex14
03-11-13, 09:23 AM
I went to see this because my 6 years old daughter wanted to see it. She really liked it. I enjoyed it, I read that the reviews were bad, or mixed, so I didn't have high expectations, so I was surprised that I was having a good time.

So what happens after...

He gives Glinda a kiss behind the curtain and they make sweet magical love.... no..but yea... they kiss. THE END comes up on screen.

Groucho
03-11-13, 09:28 AM
This was not a good movie. James Franco is a terrible actor, but this time around even actors who are normally good all turned in bad performances (Zach Braff was the only one who didn't feel like he was just phoning it in). The dialogue was stale, the production design was uninspired, and the story was nothing special (a moratorium should be placed on fantasy stories that have some sort of "prophecy" attached). My biggest problem was Theodora's character arc, which was rushed at best, and mildly offensive at worst.

dex14
03-11-13, 09:35 AM
The overabundance of CGI really didn't sit well with me. Too me, it looks even more fake than the sets from almost 80 years ago. Would it kill anyone to some build sets these days? Use some practical f/x? I do think the China Doll was pretty realistic looking though.

Palaver
03-11-13, 11:27 AM

So what happens after...

I'm glad you asked that. I had literally the exact same experience. Same point in the movie and everything. :lol:

Ash Ketchum
03-11-13, 11:52 AM

Meg Griffin, the legendary DJ? I never thought there'd be anyone on this board who would remember her, aside from me.

Jules Winfield
03-11-13, 11:55 AM
I liked it despite everything feeling sort of rushed. The one thing I did sort of despise was Mila Kunis as The Wicked Witch. I wish directors would stop encouraging certain actors to try to play evil when they are clearly out of their league and would not intimidate a fucking fly if their life depended on it. Other than that, I actually didn't mind Franco. I wish we could've seen more of Oz but I think as a fan of the first movie, I liked it more than I probably should have.

Dr. DVD
03-11-13, 02:26 PM
I liked it despite everything feeling sort of rushed. The one thing I did sort of despise was Mila Kunis as The Wicked Witch. I wish directors would stop encouraging certain actors to try to play evil when they are clearly out of their league and would not intimidate a fucking fly if their life depended on it. Other than that, I actually didn't mind Franco. I wish we could've seen more of Oz but I think as a fan of the first movie, I liked it more than I probably should have.

Dude, spoilers! Granted, it's obvious to anyone who read anything about pre-production or has bothered to even look at the cover of the latest EW. But still...

You're right BTW, I actually quietly said "Shut up Meg," after she did her tirade in front of everyone. I will give her props for having a good laugh, which I heard she did without any enhancements.

Raimi should suggest his "70s Show" stars consult with Kurtwood Smith about how to play an effective villain before he starts shooting.

Raul3
03-11-13, 02:58 PM
I'm glad you asked that. I had literally the exact same experience. Same point in the movie and everything. :lol:

The movie is over 2 hours. That's too long for kids that age to hold it. At least she didn't have an accident. :)

Teremei
03-11-13, 05:37 PM
Kunis played a good villain, in a "innocent girl who's never had a boyfriend gets heartbroken and goes all bi-polar" type of way. But definitely not intimidating. Her "turn" was about the only thing I didn't like, it was so quick and unnatural that even I had to roll my eyes. Could used just a FEW minutes to do some kind of flash of memories or something.

Saying that, I absolutely adored this film. I was somewhat piqued after hearing alonso over at wtf like it so much. I didn't want to get my hopes up too high but I figured it might be ok but not great.

However this movie was pure magic to me. It's as if you could take the beauty and art of Cirque du Soliel and throw it in a pot with Oz. The characters were lovable, artistry wonderful, the magic in the final battle was specatular as was Oz's confrontation.

And I loved alot of the double meanings that had to do with believing in yourself, accepting someones love, being "enough" already, being a good father. Alot of positive vibes in the movie with lines delivered really well by the actors, and even weller by the actors behind the mic.

. . . sometimes, being a wizard is just being there to tuck your child in at night.

There was a lady somewhere behind me that would said "yep" every time she *got* a metaphor. And there were alot in this movie so. yeah.

Dr. DVD
03-11-13, 06:39 PM
Kunis played a good villain, in a "innocent girl who's never had a boyfriend gets heartbroken and goes all bi-polar" type of way. But definitely not intimidating. Her "turn" was about the only thing I didn't like, it was so quick and unnatural that even I had to roll my eyes. Could used just a FEW minutes to do some kind of flash of memories or something.

Her turn reminded me a lot of Anakin's in Revenge of the Sith, pretty weak in reason. Similar kind of situation as well, being tricked more or less, and by someone who can throw lightning bolts. Good thing Disney now owns Lucasfilm so they can rip off as many elements as they want.

Ash Ketchum
03-11-13, 06:58 PM
Meg Griffin, the legendary DJ? I never thought there'd be anyone on this board who would remember her, aside from me.

And there isn't. Never mind, guys. Apparently there's a character by that name on "Family Guy" who was voiced by Mila Kunis and I'm the only one on this board who didn't know that!!!
:doh:

brayzie
03-11-13, 08:07 PM
Was this prequel better than the sequel "Return to Oz"?

Troy Stiffler
03-11-13, 08:18 PM
Saw this today.

Some of it didn't connect. Quite predictable. Franco was doing Depp. I could only laugh that the Kunis Witch hated Oz so much. Even to the end. She was like, "I HATE YOU" at the end. And there was no reason, other than that she's a stupid woman. There was never a moment where she has an epiphany and turns against the Weiz Witch.

I liked all of the "trickery" stuff. Which I expected. I liked the signature Raimi camera moves. He gave into his Evil Dead nods with the witch transformation at the end, and scene at the cemetery. I like Bruce Campbell's cameo.

I thought it was enjoyable and hope that people go see it and decide for themselves. Didn't hate it like some of you guys did.

RichC2
03-11-13, 08:28 PM
Eh, Internet opinions are like assholes, they shit on everything

Groucho
03-11-13, 08:36 PM
The movie is over 2 hours. That's too long for kids that age to hold it.And oddly enough, even at that run time it seemed very rushed. Maybe less time should have been spent in Kansas?

JumpCutz
03-11-13, 08:42 PM
Alot of positive vibes in the movie with lines delivered really well by the actors, and even weller by the actors behind the mic.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/22862525.jpg

Dr. DVD
03-11-13, 08:44 PM
I hope they get Peter Jackson to direct the sequel, then we can have a trilogy on top of this one. ;)

Rachel Weisz must be in desperate need of money given the kind of roles she takes in American movies.

JumpCutz
03-11-13, 08:47 PM
I hope they get Peter Jackson to direct the sequel, then we can have a trilogy on top of this one. ;)

He's too busy with his quadrilogy of The Hobbit.

dex14
03-11-13, 08:52 PM

Rachel Weisz must be in desperate need of money given the kind of roles she takes in American movies.

I doubt that is the case when you're married to James Bond

stvn1974
03-11-13, 08:57 PM
Terence Malick should do the sequel. 34 minute shots of Oz's hot air balloon floating across the sky.

mdc3000
03-11-13, 11:25 PM
I liked it a lot, despite it feeling a little rushed in parts - it was Disney presents The Evil Dead in OZ for 12 year olds IMO. There was a lot of great Raimi moments and Michelle Williams was a standout... I also absolutely loved China Girl and don't care who knows it, despite being a 32 year old man. She was the best ;)

whotony
03-11-13, 11:55 PM
Saw it on IMax today and loved it.

Had fun watching the characters and thought Kunis was fine and then great as the witch.

I just didnt like the green makeup and prothetic, made her head too big.

Also noticed at least two changes from the trialer.

I thought the monkey says, " did that bird say we're gonna die?"
IN the movie Oz says it.

Also in the trailer when the Kunis witch first appears out of the fire
her silhouette is much more evident, in the movie you could barely see it.

In the trailer I think she cackle/laughs while scratching her fingernails on the table,
I dont think she cackled in the movie then.

Anyway 4/5 stars

xage
03-12-13, 12:52 AM
Loved Oz! Its like watching Army Of Darkness for 6 yrs old kids :P

nickdawgy
03-12-13, 06:25 AM
Loved Oz! Its like watching Army Of Darkness for 6 yrs old kids :P

Didn't you just take what mdc3000 said and change the Campbell movie and age of the kids?

mostaccioli
03-12-13, 04:41 PM

Saying that, I absolutely adored this film. I was somewhat piqued after hearing alonso over at wtf like it so much. I didn't want to get my hopes up too high but I figured it might be ok but not great.

However this movie was pure magic to me. It's as if you could take the beauty and art of Cirque du Soliel and throw it in a pot with Oz. The characters were lovable, artistry wonderful, the magic in the final battle was specatular as was Oz's confrontation.

And I loved alot of the double meanings that had to do with believing in yourself, accepting someones love, being "enough" already, being a good father. Alot of positive vibes in the movie with lines delivered really well by the actors, and even weller by the actors behind the mic.

. . . sometimes, being a wizard is just being there to tuck your child in at night.

There was a lady somewhere behind me that would said "yep" every time she *got* a metaphor. And there were alot in this movie so. yeah.

instead of kulis they should have gotten a young, homely unknown actress that resembled the original actress of wizard of oz.

Groucho
03-12-13, 04:43 PM
It's like Bubba Ho Tep for 9 year olds!

Spottedfeather
03-12-13, 05:50 PM
The one thing that really bugs me about the movie is that Warner was a bit a douche about the whole thing. They wouldn't let Disney make things look too much like the original movie. The flying monkeys look either like the monkey from Friends or a half dinosaur, half Congo killer ape. The ruby slippers are nowhere to been seen. Though, to be fair, the slippers were only ruby in the movie. And the munchkins....well, at least some of them are midgets.

The only casting choice that felt really off to me was James Franco as the Wizard. It just doesn't seem like that this is the guy that becomes the fat, grumpy guy from the 1939 movie.

brayzie
03-12-13, 06:25 PM
Does Disney own the rights to Wizard of Oz now because I noticed they also made the 1985 movie?

bluetoast
03-12-13, 06:26 PM
It's public domain. You can get all the books for free on an e-Reader if you wanted.

Dr. DVD
03-12-13, 09:15 PM
I really am kind of torn as to whether or not Theodora got a raw deal. She seemed to choose to remain evil at will, and was hinted that even her sister didn't know she had such darkness in her. However, Evanora did claim that whatever good was in Theodora was destroyed by the apple she gave her. If such is the case, she truly is somewhat of a victim in the end.

It also doesn't help that both of these powerful sources of evil wind up getting killed by accident.

xage
03-12-13, 10:43 PM
Didn't you just take what mdc3000 said and change the Campbell movie and age of the kids?

I dont go browse other pages and copy a content of others unlike you who loves following the posts of the Xage.

Im a Raimi fan and this movie reminds me of Army Of Darkness.

Anubis2005X
03-12-13, 11:03 PM
Even though it made absolutely no sense, Kunis's tears creating scars on her face was a cool touch. I shudder to think the kind of problems she has when taking a wiz...

Dr. DVD
03-13-13, 10:23 AM
^ That kind of stuff always made me wonder about where they got the notion that water would melt a witch. I noticed in the original it just happened to work out that way. Also, if water was indeed deadly to her, which she seemed to know it was, why keep a buckets of it around your castle?

RichC2
03-13-13, 10:33 AM
The same reason we keep buckets of cyanide around the castle. Never know when it's going to come in handy.

nickdawgy
03-13-13, 06:22 PM
I dont go browse other pages and copy a content of others unlike you who loves following the posts of the Xage.

Im a Raimi fan and this movie reminds me of Army Of Darkness.

The xage? :lol:

Go count your Saw DVDs.

Jules Winfield
03-13-13, 07:39 PM

Go count your Saw DVDs.

Oh, snap! You did not just tell the xage to go count!! It's on now!

xage
03-14-13, 12:58 AM

Go count your Saw DVDs.

See how this member love The Xage's Post :)

Youre Welcome

joe_b
03-17-13, 06:45 AM
Was this prequel better than the sequel "Return to Oz"?Hell no. Headless Mombi ftw.

Meg Griffin, the legendary DJ? I never thought there'd be anyone on this board who would remember her, aside from me.I know about her from listening to Howard Stern. :D

Mr. Cinema
03-17-13, 02:20 PM

Go count your Saw DVDs.
Did you mean to say count, or dust?

mhg83
03-17-13, 03:06 PM
So in the scene where we see the signs there's one called Chinatown was a reference to the movie?

Groucho
03-17-13, 03:21 PM
Or maybe, just possibly, it was referring to the town made entirely of China that Oz visits.

movielib
03-17-13, 06:40 PM
Or maybe, just possibly, it was referring to the town made entirely of China that Oz visits.
And the sign says China Town, not Chinatown.

IIG
03-27-13, 01:23 PM
This movie definitely has its ups and downs, but overall I really liked it. The performances were generally strong, and I thought Weisz and Williams did a great job. How they got Michelle Williams to look that hot, I don't know. Mila Kunis stumbled out the gate, but greatly improved as the film went on. The freaking monkey was hilarious!

The visual presentation was one of the best I've seen in a theater from a live action film. The colors were striking and the 3D had amazing depth. It made me want to break down and purchase a 3D TV for the Blu-ray release. Pretty awesome movie Sam Raimi.

Edit: Just watched this movie for the second time in 18 hours in IMAX 3D. It played even better this time around.

achau9598
03-30-13, 09:38 AM
Finally saw this with my son (11) yesterday. He enjoyed it, I thought it was just average. I did, however, like some of the references to the Wizard of Oz (like the lion being run off and called a coward, and when Wanda visits Oz at the carnival and tells him that Mr. Gale has asked her to marry him - making her Dorothy's mom?)

Something I could not figure out (but not important to the film) - when Oz gets to Oz and is walking around, the camera stays on a pair of squirrels running up a tree. Both seemed to have something on their heads. I thought it was some type of cap - maybe like the tin man. Did anyone see what it was? Since the camera stayed on it for an extended time, I figured it must have been a reference.

riley_dude
03-31-13, 06:12 PM
I just saw this last night and was totally underwhelmed. No Magic or heart, just lots of computer effects and a miscast James Franco.

lamphorn
04-01-13, 03:40 PM
It made no sense to me that Mila Kunis's character didn't realize that her sister had lied to her about Oz's behavior. Even if her "goodness" was gone, she still acted like a scorned lover when she already knew her sister was a lying bitch. Makes no sense.

This movie sucked. Some pretty computer graphics, but a lame story, melodramatic nonsense, none of the fun of the original. If it was supposed to be a real sequel to the original, why isn't it a musical? I always thought Sam Raimi was a better director than this.

hasslein
04-02-13, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately the theater I went to chose to dim the projection again so I was watching a dark fog. The visuals, that I could see, were amazing.

Dr. DVD
04-02-13, 09:43 PM
This movie seems to be playing better to kids than adults. No surprises really.

Question:

Were the wicked witch forms of Kunis and Weisz supposed to be their true forms? Wiesz obviously had her appearance from the amulet. While it was after she drank the potion that Kunis transformed into the witch we know, Weisz offered to use an enchantment to make her appear beautiful, which would obviously come from the amulet as well. Also, the witch stated that she wanted the wizard to see her as she really was.

whotony
04-02-13, 10:07 PM
Kunis became ugly and stayed that way.
Weizs was ugly but used her device to hide her true form.

Dr. DVD
04-02-13, 10:10 PM
"Honey, you got ugly.." ;)

hanshotfirst1138
04-30-13, 08:22 PM
Isn't the first draft usually the best? We often hear of scripts being re-written by multiple writers, and that's usually a bad sign. I'm sure there are exceptions, but how often do multiple writers who change scripts end up improving it?

The first draft is generally a rough draft, I think you're thinking of the rewrites by other writers studios mandate to "broaden appeal" though, and you're right about that. Watching Bruckheimer movies, you can usually spot the rewrites from a mile off. Robert Towne and Tarantino's bits in Crimson Tide are pretty instantly recognizable, for instance. On the subject of endlessly rewritten screenplays, that one called Nottingham that eventual became the basis for the Ridley Scott Robin Hood movie ever kick around online? Apparently it was quite good.

FRwL
05-25-13, 02:23 PM
I saw it with a date. This movie should have been fuckin called Snooze: The Limpdick and Powernapping

whotony
05-25-13, 02:34 PM
I saw it with a date. This movie should have been fuckin called Snooze: The Limpdick and Powernapping

Wow you are just brilliant with the quips.

FRwL
05-25-13, 02:51 PM
Yeah i find that type of humor is better than just being sarcastic.

Deadman31
05-25-13, 09:37 PM

sounds like everything after the movie didnt go so well.

Original Desmond
06-02-13, 02:18 AM
Watchable and Franco was good but overall a bit disappointing

Jackskeleton
06-02-13, 03:56 AM
Desmond! Buddy ol' Pal. This one's for you...

http://i.imgur.com/BXlNUNd.gif

I'd drop a house on that

Why So Blu?
06-02-13, 10:54 AM
Watched the first 20 minutes but after it goes from black and white into color I turned it off.

Dr. DVD
06-02-13, 11:42 AM
Desmond! Buddy ol' Pal. This one's for you...

http://i.imgur.com/BXlNUNd.gif

I'd drop a house on that

I think that was one of the most blatant ass shots in movie history.