Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Does it matter how many icons are on the desktop?

Save Ferris
04-02-12, 11:56 AM
I have some coworkers that swear performance is dictated by how cluttered the computer desktop is. I haven't heard this in awhile--Is this idea carried over from older operating systems?

Does it matter for Windows 7? On a new mac?

RForte1189
04-02-12, 12:20 PM
I have some coworkers that swear performance is dictated by how cluttered the computer desktop is. I haven't heard this in awhile--Is this idea carried over from older operating systems?

Does it matter for Windows 7? On a new mac?

...your coworkers are dopes, this goes along with the ridiculous rumors about "if your hard drive is full your computer slows down" these statements make me bring and in no way affect the overall performance of your computer

Save Ferris
04-02-12, 12:31 PM
you're saying it slows it on par with a full HD? Guess I was wrong.

fumanstan
04-02-12, 12:47 PM
...your coworkers are dopes, this goes along with the ridiculous rumors about "if your hard drive is full your computer slows down" these statements make me bring and in no way affect the overall performance of your computer

I would assume this would actually be true; for instance if your pagefile was dynamically sized by Windows, and your hard drive was completely full in that it couldn't grow to accommodate it, memory hungry programs could run slower.

I'd guess the icon thing could matter in the past if your graphics card couldn't draw all the additional icons? Probably a non issue now.

Just guesses on my part.

Dr Mabuse
04-02-12, 01:03 PM
On icons... technically 'yes' they affect performance in Windows, effectively 'not really' given common system specs these days. There was a time when knowledgeable people who were serious about maximizing performance would not have many desktop icons, two or three max. Today's systems are so powerful it's not really a concern any more.

Hard drive being full slowing a system is a misunderstood half truth basically. The drive being full usually accompanies a heavily fragmented drive. Performance is affected. Most people who think a full hard drive affects performance don't know that, don't understand fragmentation, but it's often true not based on the data amount itself, but due to the nature of Windows being a toy operating system that can not even manage a hard drive during normal operations. So the drive is heavily fragmented and this does affect performance in a big way the worse it gets. To the ignorant person, deleting a large amount of data and thus having Windows relocate many fragmented files to new sectors over time would increase performance, often quite noticeably. But a defragment of the full drive would have had a better outcome.

Mac runs FreeBSD, which is a real operating system, so the above issue with hard drive is not an issue on Mac.

JZ1276
04-03-12, 01:57 AM
On icons... technically 'yes' they affect performance in Windows, effectively 'not really' given common system specs these days. There was a time when knowledgeable people who were serious about maximizing performance would not have many desktop icons, two or three max. Today's systems are so powerful it's not really a concern any more.

Hard drive being full slowing a system is a misunderstood half truth basically. The drive being full usually accompanies a heavily fragmented drive. Performance is affected. Most people who think a full hard drive affects performance don't know that, don't understand fragmentation, but it's often true not based on the data amount itself, but due to the nature of Windows being a toy operating system that can not even manage a hard drive during normal operations. So the drive is heavily fragmented and this does affect performance in a big way the worse it gets. To the ignorant person, deleting a large amount of data and thus having Windows relocate many fragmented files to new sectors over time would increase performance, often quite noticeably. But a defragment of the full drive would have had a better outcome.

Mac runs FreeBSD, which is a real operating system, so the above issue with hard drive is not an issue on Mac.

apple fanboy

chipmac
04-03-12, 11:26 AM
Perhaps in a work environment where your user profile must load all of your desktop shortcuts each time you log in or out on a different work PC as it moves your profile to each local PC. This will appear like your PC is slow but that isn't really effecting the individual PC's performance just the network bandwidth.