Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Barnes and Noble's awful phone customer service

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I ordered a bunch of Disney blu-rays the last time they were on sale. They all arrived safely but one of them, The Lion King, arrived without a slipcover. I'm not usually one to make a fuss about slipcovers, but in the case of Disney releases that will eventually go OOP and therefore go up in value, a missing slipcover is a big deal.

Gave them one call. Was told that since I'm in Canada they don't offer replacement (which is completely ridiculous, basically you're telling me you're shipping your stuff as-is...). I suggested they ship me out the slipcover from another one they have in stock, she said she would put a note on my file and get back to me in 24-48 hours.

More than a week had passed and I hadn't heard back, so I gave them another call. The person on the phone basically told me that I had been misinformed and did everything but call me an idiot for even suggesting that they could ship me a slipcover alone. That's when I got mad and called them out for what I perceive as a complete lack of owning up to the responsability they have to ship items that are complete. She said she would "look into it", but I doubt I'll ever hear back.

Disney wants to charge me 4$ to ship me the slipcover. I plan on calling Barnes & Noble back and demand that they refund me that 4$. Any advice on how to proceed with that?

ETA: While I'm at it, I forgot to mention that they just canceled one of the items from the order, without so much as a warning, because it would take "a few weeks" to get back in stock. Amazon would never pull crap like that. When I called, I was told to reorder and "maybe" they would be able to honor the promotion.
Old 04-02-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Barnes and Noble's awful phone customer service

As I've said a billion times, this wouldn't happen if they'd just SHRINKWRAP the damn slipcovers along with the rest of the package! I swear this is the worst packaging trend in the history of discs.
Old 04-02-12, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What really annoys me is that they're a retailer specializing in books, and I'm pretty certain they would never ship out a hardcover without the sleeve. This is the exact same thing.
Old 04-02-12, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMA
While I'm at it, I forgot to mention that they just canceled one of the items from the order, without so much as a warning, because it would take "a few weeks" to get back in stock. Amazon would never pull crap like that. When I called, I was told to reorder and "maybe" they would be able to honor the promotion.
Barnes and Noble cancelled other orders too. Amazon does this as well. It's happened to me a couple times in the last month with one item being one of my gold box offers.

Honestly, you're going to be better off either paying Disney $4 or sending Lion King back and getting it from someplace where you know you'll get a slipcover. The other option is to stress out over it and not get anywhere with B&N.
Old 04-03-12, 12:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Best way to get customer service in 2012 is start bitching on Facebook and/or Twitter.