DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Hunger Games king of the Arena Box office 3/30-4/1

superdeluxe
03-31-12, 12:30 AM
FRIDAY 9:30 PM, 3RD UPDATE: There’s dissension among my sources over just how big Lionsgate’s holdover The Hunger Games will be this weekend despite two major releases opening against it. It’s another huge weekend for the North American box office. Here are results for the Top Five with numbers continuing to refine later tonight:

1. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 2 [4,137 Theaters]
Est Friday $24M , Est Weekend $75M

2. Wrath Of The Titans (Warner Bros) NEW [3,545 Theaters]
Est Friday $11.2M, Est Weekend $29M

3. Mirror Mirror (Relativity) NEW [3,603 Theaters]
Est Friday $6.4M, Est Weekend $22.0M

4. 21 Jump Street (Sony) Week 3 [3,148 Theaters]
Est Friday $4.4M, Est Weekend $11M

5. Dr Seuss’ The Lorax (Universal) Week 5 [3,264 Theaters]
Est Friday $2.1M, Est Weekend $8.5M

Well THG is about to set some records if this holds true

Biggest 2nd Friday and a good chance at beating Spider Man 1 decade long record for biggest 2nd Saturday and also perhaps biggest 2nd weekend.

From world of kj

Matthew Chmiel
03-31-12, 01:01 AM
Actually, Avatar has the second biggest weekend with $75.6 million (less than a 2% drop from the previous weekend). Spider-man had a $71.4 million second weekend (which was a 38% drop from the previous weekend).

What's interesting is that maybe three-to-four hours ago, they were reporting The Hunger Games to have a $59-60 million weekend (putting it at a 60% drop from last weekend). I wonder if they think tomorrow will gain traction unlike last weekend.

I do love how Wrath of the Titans's estimate keeps going down. :lol: $1 million plus at midnight showings, but only a $29 million weekend (if that). I wouldn't be surprised if it makes a killing overseas.

I'm actually shocked Mirror Mirror is going to do $22 million. I guess that happens when there's no other family film out at the moment. However, I don't see the other Snow White film coming out this summer faring much better.

Rypro 525
03-31-12, 01:02 AM
Holy Shit. I'm guessing everyone who said last week "oh i'll see it next weekend and avoid the hardcore crowds" all thought the same thing

islandclaws
03-31-12, 10:02 AM
Updated #s from Deadline:

1. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 2 [4,137 Theaters] PG13-Rated
Est Friday $19M (-72%), Est Weekend $55M, Est Cume $245M

2. Wrath Of The Titans 3D (Warner Bros) NEW [3,545 Theaters] PG13-Rated
Est Friday $12.4M, Est Weekend $37M

3. Mirror Mirror (Relativity) NEW [3,603 Theaters] PG-Rated
Est Friday $5.8M, Est Weekend $21.0M

4. 21 Jump Street (Sony) Week 3 [3,148 Theaters] R-rated
Est Friday $4.6M, Est Weekend $14.5M, Est Cume $93.5M

5. Dr Seuss’ The Lorax 3D (Universal) Week 5 [3,264 Theaters] PG-rated
Est Friday $2.0M, Est Weekend $8.5M, Est Cume $190M

6. John Carter 3D (Disney) Week 4 [2,397 Theaters] PG13-rated
Est Friday $530K, Est Weekend $2.0M, Est Cume $66.2M

7. Salmon Fishing In Yemen (CBS) Week 4 [483 Theaters] PG13-Rated
Est Friday $450K, Est Weekend $1.7M, Est Cume $3.6M

8. Act Of Valor 3D (Relativity) Week 6 [1,239 Theaters] R-Rated
Est Friday $350K, Est Weekend $1.3M, Est Cume $68M

9. A Thousand Words (Dworks/Par) Week 4 [1,007 Theaters] PG13-rated
Est Friday $275K, Est Weekend $1.0M, Est Cume $16.5M

10. Project X (Warner Bros) Week 5 [903 Theaters] R-rated
Est Friday $255K, Est Weekend $950K, Est Cume $53.5M

Tarantino
03-31-12, 10:29 AM
Dark Knight Rises will break all of these records.

TheMovieman
03-31-12, 10:34 AM
Updated #s from Deadline:

1. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 2 [4,137 Theaters] PG13-Rated
Est Friday $19M (-72%), Est Weekend $55M, Est Cume $245M

That's quite a drop from the initial estimates...

2. Wrath Of The Titans 3D (Warner Bros) NEW [3,545 Theaters] PG13-Rated
Est Friday $12.4M, Est Weekend $37M

By comparison, Clash of the Titans made $61.2m in its opening weekend ($163m domestic total), although it did huge numbers overseas ($330m).

RichC2
03-31-12, 12:19 PM
Actually, Avatar has the second biggest weekend with $75.6 million (less than a 2% drop from the previous weekend). Spider-man had a $71.4 million second weekend (which was a 38% drop from the previous weekend).

What's interesting is that maybe three-to-four hours ago, they were reporting The Hunger Games to have a $59-60 million weekend (putting it at a 60% drop from last weekend). I wonder if they think tomorrow will gain traction unlike last weekend.

I'm actually shocked Mirror Mirror is going to do $22 million. I guess that happens when there's no other family film out at the moment. However, I don't see the other Snow White film coming out this summer faring much better.

Disregarding the midnight gross, it actually did gain traction last weekend day-to-day. Having the midnights kind of screws it up, there's no way you can compete with having a theater showing 1 movie on 10 screens at the same time.

Snow White and the Huntsman actually has some hype behind it, I'm shocked Mirror Mirror made $22m as I expected it to bomb.

Matthew Chmiel
03-31-12, 01:32 PM
By comparison, Clash of the Titans made $61.2m in its opening weekend ($163m domestic total), although it did huge numbers overseas ($330m).
Clash was released at the right place, right time. 3D was still new to most moviegoers and people thought it actually looked like it could be good.

If it ends up doing close to $40 million, it's a win for Warner considering they made a sequel to a film that got mixed-to-negative reviews by audiences and critics alike. What I'd like to see is how many saw the film in 3D compared to 2D alongside the same number for the original film. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority saw Wrath in 2D based upon how the 3D experience sucked for the first film.

It'll be interesting to see next weekend's numbers; especially If American Reunion will be a hit as its the first true sequel to the franchise in nine years and how well the Titanic re-issue does.

godzilla rules
03-31-12, 02:21 PM
I can see American Reunion doing about $40 million and Titanic doing about $30 million. Of course Titanic could beat out Reunion, but I doubt it.

resinrats
03-31-12, 03:40 PM
The downside for Titanic is that American Reunion can almost run twice compared to once for Titanic

Wazootyman
03-31-12, 03:53 PM
I can see American Reunion doing about $40 million and Titanic doing about $30 million. Of course Titanic could beat out Reunion, but I doubt it.

With Hunger Games probably also notching somewhere around 35+, that's gonna be a pretty insane weekend

Michael Corvin
03-31-12, 04:17 PM
Won't there be a significant drop for March Madness tonight? I wonder if that has been factored in.

Dr. DVD
03-31-12, 04:48 PM
FWIW, a huge drop for Hunger Games was inevitable , as I think with Spring Break for a lot of schools it did stronger than average numbers during the week. It will most likely end its domestic run north of $300 million, which is more than anyone was expecting for it.

EDIT: Also, while not too significant, Games lost all of its IMAX screens this weekend to Clash, hence higher ticket prices per viewer.

Dr. DVD
03-31-12, 04:48 PM
Won't there be a significant drop for March Madness tonight? I wonder if that has been factored in.

Go Cats!!! ;)

mdc3000
03-31-12, 06:10 PM
Dark Knight Rises will break all of these records.

The Avengers is going to shatter them first.

My Other Self
03-31-12, 06:12 PM
I went to see 21 Jump Street today and it was packed to the gills. There was only a couple of empty seats. There was also long lines to get in to Mirror, Mirror -- a lot of families were there. We have real crappy weather this weekend though so I'm guessing that factored in to it.

Wazootyman
03-31-12, 07:07 PM
FWIW, a huge drop for Hunger Games was inevitable , as I think with Spring Break for a lot of schools it did stronger than average numbers during the week. It will most likely end its domestic run north of $300 million, which is more than anyone was expecting for it.

EDIT: Also, while not too significant, Games lost all of its IMAX screens this weekend to Clash, hence higher ticket prices per viewer.

... the drop was probably less than expected. When you open big, your expected to drop big. To go down just north of 50 percent is NOT bad. New Moon opened large but then dropped 70 in its second frame.

There shouldn't be a "most likely" in where it will end up. It's pulled in almost 250m in 10 days, it's definitely passing 300 and will probably go to the upper 300s.

Matthew Chmiel
03-31-12, 10:45 PM
The downside for Titanic is that American Reunion can almost run twice compared to once for Titanic
Yup.

American Reunion runs 113 minutes compared to Titanic's 197 minutes. If both films were on two screens, American Reunion can have anywhere from eight to ten showings a day whereas Titanic will have a maximum of six.

Universal is also throwing American Reunion into 3,200 plus theaters whereas Paramount is throwing Titanic into at least 2,500 locations. However, while 2D showings will exist, a majority will be higher priced 3D or IMAX shows.

Either way, The Hunger Games will most likely be number three next weekend.

Mondo Kane
03-31-12, 11:04 PM
I went to see 21 Jump Street today and it was packed to the gills. There was only a couple of empty seats. There was also long lines to get in to Mirror, Mirror -- a lot of families were there. We have real crappy weather this weekend though so I'm guessing that factored in to it.

Yeah it's been like 30 Days of Night for us Northern Californians lately. Nothing else to do but to go to the movies.

Matthew Chmiel
04-01-12, 12:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4Agh0.png

RichC2
04-01-12, 12:45 PM

Yeah, Hunger Games held up well, it will fly past the $300m mark, likely ending somewhere between $350m and $400m.

The Dark Knight had a 52.5% drop second weekend, from $158m to $75m ($533m domestic)
Breaking Dawn had a 69.8% drop from $138m to $41.6m (ended with $281m)
New Moon had a 70% drop from $142.8m to $42.8m (ended with $298m)
Harry Potter 7 Part 2 had a 72% drop from $169.2m to $47.4m (and ended with $381m domestic.)

davidh777
04-01-12, 01:07 PM
Saw Hunger Games yesterday afternoon (3:30 Pacific) and was sort of hoping that basketball would thin the crowds a bit. We were able to get four seats together pretty close to center, slightly closer than I like but still plenty good, at 10 minutes before scheduled start time. This multiplex was showing it about every 40 minutes so perhaps hard to judge, but this was on a fairly large screen with ETX (enhanced theater experience, which I didn't really notice for my extra $4 per ticket :eek:, but it was either that or wait another 40 minutes for the next standard showing), perhaps the biggest at that complex other than the digital IMAX that was showing Wrath.

Dr. DVD
04-01-12, 04:01 PM
I'm actually wondering if Hunger Games can do respectable $$ next weekend as well, given that Titanic is a re-issue. Furthermore, I am surprised they are releasing American Reunion on Easter Weekend, as history has proven that is the one weekend you do NOT want to release a hard-R movie. I also expect games to have another strong week as more schools are on Spring Break.

Matthew Chmiel
04-01-12, 04:07 PM
I'm actually wondering if Hunger Games can maintain next weekend as well, given that Titanic is a re-issue. Furthermore, I am surprised they are releasing American Reunion on Easter Weekend, as history has proven that is the one weekend you do NOT want to release a hard-R movie. I also expect games to have another strong week as more schools are on Spring Break.
Universal is releasing American Reunion on the first weekend of April based upon past success with relaunching what most considered to be a dead franchise on the first weekend of April three years ago (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2009&wknd=14&p=.htm).

Granted, Fast and Furious was PG-13. However, the audiences do cross over. For example, I was a teenager when both the original American Pie and The Fast and Furious films came out over a decade ago. Where will I be next weekend? Obviously, American Reunion (and I'm a Jew, so Easter is a fake holiday in my eyes).

Edit: Accidentally typed a film that came out a decade ago.

Dr. DVD
04-01-12, 04:09 PM
Where will I be next weekend? Obviously, American Wedding (and I'm a Jew, so Easter is a fake holiday in my eyes).

So you're going back in time to summer of 2003? ;)

I expect American Reunion to be #1 and do huge numbers on Friday itself, but not sustain throughout the weekend.

Matthew Chmiel
04-01-12, 04:15 PM
So you're going back in time to summer of 2003? ;)

I expect American Reunion to be #1 and do huge numbers on Friday itself, but not sustain throughout the weekend.
Yup. When this baby hits 88, you're going to see some <s>serious</s> mediocre shit.

If anything, Reunion can't be as bad as what Universal has pumped out of that franchise in the past nine years.

dhmac
04-01-12, 04:15 PM
Where will I be next weekend? Obviously, American Wedding (and I'm a Jew, so Easter is a fake holiday in my eyes).
Uhmmm, what about Passover?

dhmac
04-01-12, 04:51 PM
Well, based on the trailers alone, Mirror, Mirror looks horrible, like a Worst Movie of the Year candidate, but Snow White and the Huntsman looks like it might turn out to be pretty good.

Matthew Chmiel
04-01-12, 07:06 PM
Uhmmm, what about Passover?
The possibility of watching a person fuck a pie > Jews leaving Egypt.

A lot of Jews only celebrate the first two days of Passover, so they'll head to the theaters when businesses are closed on Sunday.

Well, based on the trailers alone, Mirror, Mirror looks horrible, like a Worst Movie of the Year candidate, but Snow White and the Huntsman looks like it might turn out to be pretty good.
Both look like shit and casted some of the ugliest young actresses in Hollywood to portray Snow White.

Michael Corvin
04-01-12, 11:18 PM
Both look like shit and casted some of the ugliest young actresses in Hollywood to portray Snow White.

You ain't kidding. The trailer for SW&tH looks great until they get to Kristen Stewart and she just kills whatever momentum the trailer had going.

Matthew Chmiel
04-01-12, 11:41 PM
You ain't kidding. The trailer for SW&tH looks great until they get to Kristen Stewart and she just kills whatever momentum the trailer had going.
1. As a heterosexual male, even I get my eyebrows plucked. Lily Collins' eyebrows make her look like Eugene Levy fucked a caveman and Lilly Collins is that offspring.
2. Kristen Stewart has as much sex appeal as a prepubescent boy.

:down:

Tom Creo
04-02-12, 10:29 AM
She may be ugly to you two but she does have a recognizable face and name to the masses. Money talks.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-02-12, 10:41 AM
I'm a heterosexual male, and I think Kristen Stewart is attractive. The most beautiful girl I've ever seen? No, not even close, but certainly not ugly.

fumanstan
04-02-12, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't call Kristen Stewart ugly either.

Draven
04-02-12, 12:08 PM
She's not ugly in the slightest, but this is the Internet.

Glad Hunger Games held on. Hope it beats out Titanic, which as a movie is fine but I don't think people want to pay 14+ bucks to see it again.

Michael Corvin
04-02-12, 12:16 PM
Sure ugly, no. I'll give you that.

However, she's far from "the fairest of them all."* And in this particular instance, the Queen is already more gorgeous and has nothing to covet from Snow White.

*unless we are taking "fairest" at face value, then yes, Kristen Stewart is the palest of them all. :lol:

Hokeyboy
04-02-12, 12:21 PM
Kristin Stewart is average looking to me. Pleasant, but average. Not beautiful, not hot, but far from ugly. :shrug:

Mr. Cinema
04-02-12, 07:28 PM
Actuals for the top 2:

1. The Hunger Games $58,551,063 -61.6% ($248,483,901)
2. Wrath of the Titans $33,457,188

I'm not sure Titans will reach $100 mil in the US. The first film had a 56.5% drop in weekend 2. I don't see this having a better hold.

Matthew Chmiel
04-02-12, 09:30 PM
She may be ugly to you two but she does have a recognizable face and name to the masses. Money talks.
Adventureland. The Runaways. Welcome to the Rileys.

The three films she's done outside of the Twilight films have made a whopping, combined total of $21 million domestically.

Real fucking star power there. :thumbsup:

Tom Creo
04-02-12, 09:45 PM
Don't hate the player, hate the fucking game. :thumbsup:

Matthew Chmiel
04-02-12, 10:01 PM
Don't hate the player, hate the fucking game. :thumbsup:
I'm hating the player, because the game has already taught her she can't open a fucking film nor can her costars.

The idea of having one of the leads from Twilight great on paper, but once you actually see the box office returns, well, then there's regret.

Supermallet
04-02-12, 10:13 PM
I haven't seen a single trailer for Snow White and the Huntsman, but I hope it makes $500 million in the US alone just to see everyone here shit their pants.

fumanstan
04-02-12, 10:30 PM
None of the movies mentioned really headlined Stewart, and two of those were independent films. Hell, Snow White's trailer barely features her too. I don't think she's been the selling point for any of these movies, so its unfair to pin anything on her :shrug:

Tom Creo
04-03-12, 09:01 AM
I'm hating the player, because the game has already taught her she can't open a fucking film nor can her costars.

The idea of having one of the leads from Twilight great on paper, but once you actually see the box office returns, well, then there's regret.

I'm not here to get in a pissing contest with you, Oh King of the B.O., I'm just gonna file this away until the movie actually opens. Have fun strokin' to American Wedding or, as you would say, Have fun fucking strokin' to American fucking Wedding.

RichC2
04-03-12, 09:04 AM
I haven't seen a single trailer for Snow White and the Huntsman, but I hope it makes $500 million in the US alone just to see everyone here shit their pants.

Movie actually looks pretty decent for what it is, so I wouldn't really shit my pants about it. After that Alice in Wonderland POS made $1b worldwide, I see anything as fair game.

Here, have a trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DgfYBJoPFFw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

auto
04-03-12, 09:05 AM
I'm not here to get in a pissing contest with you, Oh King of the B.O., I'm just gonna file this away until the movie actually opens. Have fun strokin' to American Wedding or, as you would say, Have fun fucking strokin' to American fucking Wedding.

:lol:

Matthew Chmiel
04-03-12, 12:47 PM
Excuse me, it's First Officer of the Box Office.

Dr. DVD
04-03-12, 03:22 PM
I'm actually kind of curious if Jennifer Lawrence can have a decent performing movie outside of Hunger Games. She seems like a good enough actress to do such, better than Kristen Stewart. What I also feel is worth mentioning is that Stewart's flops were all rated R, and most likely alienated a lot of her fan base. Then again, Water for Elephants was PG-13 with Robert Pattinson and it still bombed, so maybe it doesn't matter.

RichC2
04-03-12, 03:47 PM
I'm actually kind of curious if Jennifer Lawrence can have a decent performing movie outside of Hunger Games. She seems like a good enough actress to do such, better than Kristen Stewart. What I also feel is worth mentioning is that Stewart's flops were all rated R, and most likely alienated a lot of her fan base. Then again, Water for Elephants was PG-13 with Robert Pattinson and it still bombed, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Content is more important than stars when it comes to drawing an audience. You have the stars present to get peoples attention, but most people won't go see a movie just because somebody is in it these days.

Also, Water for Elephants made about $117m worldwide (~$58.5 domestic and overseas), that isn't bad for a $38m budgetted flick that I hear is boring as hell.

Matthew Chmiel
04-03-12, 03:50 PM
Let's go back to 1970s and a little film called Star Wars. We're Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher able to star in films that were successful after the film was a hit?

No.

Just because they're apart of a successful franchise, doesn't mean their stand alone films will be on the radar of most moviegoers. The fans of Twilight are immersed with the characters and story of that universe, not the actors. You don't see Team Robert Pattinson or Team Taylor Launter t-shirts, do you?

If so, Abduction, Remember Me and Water for Elephants (all PG-13 films) would've actually made money.

Tom Creo
04-03-12, 04:31 PM
Good point Matthew but I do remember a few films did try to capitalize on SW success. That was the point I was trying to make. Some suit will greenlight a project or a hire based on the players and what they were associated with beforehand.

Were Adventureland and The Runaways flops? Both were low budgeted and I don't think expected to be blockbusters. After it was all said and done, they probably ended in the black, no?

TomOpus
04-03-12, 04:42 PM
Were Adventureland and The Runaways flops? Both were low budgeted and I don't think expected to be blockbusters. After it was all said and done, they probably ended in the black, no?The budget for The Runaways was $10 million (not counting marketing) and the worldwide BO was $4 million.

Could not find a budget for Adventureland.

Matthew Chmiel
04-03-12, 06:07 PM
The budget for The Runaways was $10 million (not counting marketing) and the worldwide BO was $4 million.

Could not find a budget for Adventureland.
And The Runaways killed an entire studio (Apparition) in one swift shot. There goes any hope for The Boondocks Saints III. :(

There's no exact budget information for Adventureland, but Greg Mottola mentioned in interviews that it cost barely half as much as Superbad. If that's the case, the film cost under $10 million to produce. Miramax was already on its last legs at the time it came out and didn't put much effort and money into prints and advertising, so it probably broke even at the end of the day.

dhmac
04-03-12, 10:07 PM
I personally prefer to judge movies on if they were good or bad, not on how much BO they had.

For example...
Adventureland and The Runaways both were good, with terrible BO.

Twilight and its sequel spawn were all bad, with great BO.

JumpCutz
04-03-12, 10:21 PM

The word is cast. :)

She certainly can't act, but ugly. No.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2008/database/kristenstewart/kristen_stewart300.jpg

Dr. DVD
04-04-12, 11:12 AM
Let's go back to 1970s and a little film called Star Wars. We're Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher able to star in films that were successful after the film was a hit?

No.

Just because they're apart of a successful franchise, doesn't mean their stand alone films will be on the radar of most moviegoers. The fans of Twilight are immersed with the characters and story of that universe, not the actors. You don't see Team Robert Pattinson or Team Taylor Launter t-shirts, do you?

If so, Abduction, Remember Me and Water for Elephants (all PG-13 films) would've actually made money.

True, but you neglected to mention Harrison Ford. His career didn't really start to take off until after Empire, but once it did it almost seemed strange to have him back for Jedi. What's also worth mentioning is that neither Hamill nor Fisher were that strong in the acting department at the time and complete unknowns. Jennifer Lawrence was not a household name before Games but she did have an oscar nom to her credit before starring. Also, her future projects seem focused on her expanding her acting ability , with the exception of a horror film cheapie that should turn a profit if they don't go nuts with marketing. In short, she might not become a guaranteed blockbuster star, but I see her becoming a noted actress outside of the franchise with movies that can still enjoy respectable success.

Hokeyboy
04-04-12, 11:56 AM
I personally prefer to judge movies on if they were good or bad, not on how much BO they had.
Agreed. But that's not the issue here...
For example...
Adventureland and The Runaways both were good, with terrible BO.
Runaways was fucking terrible. IMO of course but it was a clusterfuck mess of a movie.

Hokeyboy
04-04-12, 11:58 AM
True, but you neglected to mention Harrison Ford. His career didn't really start to take off until after Raiders of the Lost Ark
Fixed. Raiders took Ford to the next level, as his screen presence, charisma, and box office charm was proven to extend beyond the Star Wars movies.

Dr. DVD
04-04-12, 02:06 PM
Fixed. Raiders took Ford to the next level, as his screen presence, charisma, and box office charm was proven to extend beyond the Star Wars movies.

So in essence , one could make the argument that Steven Spielberg made Ford more than a one trick pony.

Ash Ketchum
04-04-12, 02:29 PM
Ford had been around for nearly 20 years by the time of RAIDERS. He'd been making westerns in the 1960s and had even given up on acting and turned to carpentry before Lucas found him.

Hokeyboy
04-04-12, 02:46 PM
Ford had been around for nearly 20 years by the time of RAIDERS. He'd been making westerns in the 1960s and had even given up on acting and turned to carpentry before Lucas found him.
Yeah but that's not the point. He was pretty much entirely unknown (despite notable parts in The Conversation or American Graffiti, for example) until Star Wars. But he wasn't a "by golly he can open and carry a film!" sorta guy until Raiders.

And then, he wasn't the first choice (or even first person cast) for the role!

Matthew Chmiel
04-04-12, 03:02 PM
True, but you neglected to mention Harrison Ford. His career didn't really start to take off until after Empire, but once it did it almost seemed strange to have him back for Jedi. What's also worth mentioning is that neither Hamill nor Fisher were that strong in the acting department at the time and complete unknowns. Jennifer Lawrence was not a household name before Games but she did have an oscar nom to her credit before starring. Also, her future projects seem focused on her expanding her acting ability , with the exception of a horror film cheapie that should turn a profit if they don't go nuts with marketing. In short, she might not become a guaranteed blockbuster star, but I see her becoming a noted actress outside of the franchise with movies that can still enjoy respectable success.

I would respond, but someone has already done so before me:

Unlike the others, he had a stable career up to the point of Star Wars. He also had lead roles in 1978's Force 10 from Navarone and 1979's The Frisco Kid.

And yes, Raiders of the Lost Ark is what made Harrison Ford a household name.

He's the only actor involved with that original trilogy to go on and continue to act in high profile films. While Mark Hamill has had a great career in voiceover work and Carrie Fisher is a notable author/screenwriter; Ford was the one who benefitted the most from Lucas.

Hokeyboy
04-04-12, 03:07 PM
Was Lawrence signed up a multi-picture deal for the new X-Men movies? If so, Fox got a *bargain*. Her asking price is sure to skyrocket now.

Either way, I suppose we can expect a LOT more Mystique in the next movie. And Darren Aranofsky creepily smiling behind her.

Tom Creo
04-04-12, 04:05 PM
Just goes to show how awesome First Class was.

Per Hollywood Reporter:
"Insiders say the studios are poised for a face-off over the 21-year-old’s schedule as they move ahead with sequels in their respective franchises. Lionsgate is planning to shoot Games follow-up Catching Fire in the summer, for release in November 2013. A source says Fox is considering an early fall shoot for a sequel to 2011′s First Class, which doesn’t yet have a release date, leading to chatter of a potential Lawrence scheduling conflict.
Fox originally cast the Oscar nominee as shape-shifter Mystique in summer 2010, months before Lionsgate chose her as its Katniss Everdeen in March 2011. (Lawrence earned $500,000 for Games, less for the ensemble First Class.) Even though both studios have sequel options, “Fox will win [any conflict],” says an insider. “Their option trumps Lionsgate’s option.”
Both studios deny any conflict, with Fox saying the timing of the First Class shoot is still not set. Says a Lawrence rep, “They are both making accommodations for her.”

Tom Creo
04-04-12, 04:09 PM
Also, who would you consider the star of SW and the Huntsman? Theron or Stewart? Sure Stewart's in the title role but , IMHO, Theron is the more recognizable star. Throw in Thor and do we have an ensemble cast? If the movie bombs there are many cooks in the kitchen to just label it as "Stewart can't open a film." What if it's a modest success?

Dr. DVD
04-04-12, 04:24 PM
Was Lawrence signed up a multi-picture deal for the new X-Men movies? If so, Fox got a *bargain*. Her asking price is sure to skyrocket now.

Either way, I suppose we can expect a LOT more Mystique in the next movie. And Darren Aranofsky creepily smiling behind her.

Well, given Mystique's ability to change in to whatever she needs, and the fact that the human form of Lawrence was just one of her random ones, they could easily have the character in the new movie and not have to use Lawrence, except for maybe a cameo.

Matthew Chmiel
04-04-12, 05:31 PM
Also, who would you consider the star of SW and the Huntsman? Theron or Stewart? Sure Stewart's in the title role but , IMHO, Theron is the more recognizable star. Throw in Thor and do we have an ensemble cast? If the movie bombs there are many cooks in the kitchen to just label it as "Stewart can't open a film." What if it's a modest success?
Theron can't open a film either.

Young Adult did poorly ($16 million) compared to Jason Reitman's past films: Thank You For Smoking ($28 million), Juno ($144 million) and Up in the Air ($84 million). I don't know if I'd blame Theron for that one as Diablo Cody is a hack.

The last time she actually headlined a film, Aeon Flux, it was a box office disappointment. $52 million worldwide on a $65 million budget.

She's been in successful films, but she wasn't the main attraction. Again, Snow White and the Huntsman has to be GREAT to really pull in an audience. The stars aren't proven successes and the premise has already been done before... five days ago.

Greg MacGuffin
04-04-12, 08:32 PM
And The Runaways killed an entire studio (Apparition) in one swift shot. There goes any hope for The Boondocks Saints III. :(

:lol: Well, thank God for The Runaways then.

Hokeyboy
04-04-12, 09:06 PM
:lol: Well, thank God for The Runaways then.
:lol: :up:

Tom Creo
04-04-12, 09:45 PM
Theron can't open a film either.

Young Adult did poorly ($16 million)

See, I don't know how you believe that number is bad and indicative of Theron's pull. It was a indie, R-rated comedy with a budget of 12+million, released in the dead of winter. It did over 20 million worldwide and who knows what the aftermarket (dvd, television sales) brought. It had critical acclaim and was kinda her comeback film. I'm sure the studio wanted more but it was hardly a failure.

We can throw out numbers and opinions all day but we gotta remember that each film has it's different circumstances. 20 mil for a Transformers run, bomb. 20 mil on Young Adult, not bad.

Tom Creo
04-04-12, 09:49 PM
He's the only actor involved with that original trilogy to go on and continue to act in high profile films. While Mark Hamill has had a great career in voiceover work and Carrie Fisher is a notable author/screenwriter; Ford was the one who benefitted the most from Lucas.

Don't forget Warrick "Where's me gold?" Davis.

RichC2
04-05-12, 08:01 AM
Theron has always been something of an indie actress, her oscar win was an indie and her second oscar nomination was an indie. Arguably her biggest roles to date have been The Italian Job and Hancock where she played secondary, the only "major" movie she has headlined is Aeon Flux which had a good bit working against it (and i actually didn't hate it).

I guess she got a new agent since she now has two big budget flicks (Snow White, Prometheus) opening back to back. She was fantastic in Young Adult and it wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't the kind of movie that would ever be big.

Though I've had a crush on her since Two Days in the Valley (and Devil's Advocate), her in lingerie made quite the impact on my young uh mind back then.

Michael Corvin
04-05-12, 08:35 AM
Though I've had a crush on her since Two Days in the Valley (and Devil's Advocate), her in lingerie made quite the impact on my young uh mind back then.

:up:

Dr. DVD
04-05-12, 08:43 AM
Theron is also making quite a name for herself on FunnyorDie.com. ;) Credit where it's due, she also has the whole "beautiful but bitchy" character down. If I were making a movie where one of the leads is a female corporate boss from hell you wanted to bang, she would be my first choice.

RichC2
04-05-12, 08:45 AM
Her and Jennifer Aniston (weird I know but she killed it in Horrible Bosses) should do a corporate bosses rivalry movie. I'd watch it. Perhaps on mute.

But yeah I forgot about her crazy FunnyOrDie stuff, she seems game for anything.

Dr. DVD
04-05-12, 08:56 AM
But yeah I forgot about her crazy FunnyOrDie stuff, she seems game for anything.

Except guys like us. :(

RichC2
04-05-12, 09:00 AM
She hasn't met me yet, I'm still holding out hope.

Hokeyboy
04-05-12, 09:22 AM
Will you guys PLEASE stop getting all funny in the pants online, it's creeping me ou-- OOOOH I wet 'em...

RichC2
04-05-12, 09:39 AM
:lol: