DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Best "found footage" movies

Mr. Flix
03-30-12, 02:03 PM
I know a lot of people don't like the found footage "genre," but I'm a big fan of it when it is done well. To me, it adds a level of immediacy to a movie that wouldn't be possible if it was shot in a standard way. "The Blair Witch Project" got under my skin in a way no other movie has since.

Having said that, what "found footage" movies would you consider to be the best?

inri222
03-30-12, 02:06 PM
IMO the best of these are :

Man Bites Dog
The Blair Witch Project
REC
Diary of the Dead (yeah I know alot of you hate this one but I don't)

Rival11
03-30-12, 02:15 PM
I love them. For me:

All three Paranormal Activity movies
REC 2
Artrocious (love it)
Blair Witch
Quarantine
Evil Things

And Inri - It's funny you mention Diary.....HATED it when I first saw it but for some reason I want to see it again.

Goat3001
03-30-12, 02:16 PM
Blair Witch Project... it doesn't hold up but it was the first really popular one and at the time I thought it was scary as shit. Granted I was 13 but I still have fond memories of it.

(over/under is 8 1/2 posts before we get a "they all suck" post)

Rival11
03-30-12, 02:19 PM
(over/under is 8 1/2 posts before we get a "they all suck" post)

:lol:

Kurtie Dee
03-30-12, 02:59 PM
Another vote for <i>Atrocious</i> ... super, super effective scary found footage.

JumpCutz
03-30-12, 02:59 PM
Cloverfield
REC

Not keen on any of the rest.

Noonan
03-30-12, 03:01 PM
My favorite is probably Cloverfield. That movie is a blast. I agree that Blair Witch should take the nod only because it brought the genre (if you can call it that...) to the masses.

LickTheABCs
03-30-12, 03:04 PM
While I don't think it should rank as the best, "Grave Encounters" should totally be up there.

resinrats
03-30-12, 03:05 PM
Blair Witch
Cloverfield
Chronicle

islandclaws
03-30-12, 03:12 PM
Troll Hunter was one I had a lot of fun with.

Maxflier
03-30-12, 03:15 PM
Cloverfield
Blair Witch Project
Quarantine
Diary of the Dead (and this is coming from someone who doesn't like the other 'Dead' movies)

TomOpus
03-30-12, 03:18 PM
One no one has mentioned:

Cannibal Holocaust

Dr Mabuse
03-30-12, 03:54 PM
Troll Hunter was one I had a lot of fun with.

That was a lot of fun. I enjoyed that.

Shannon Nutt
03-30-12, 04:35 PM
Blair Witch is the only one that really worked for me. Most everything else seems to have just been an excuse to make a cheap(er) film.

Trout
03-30-12, 05:36 PM
One no one has mentioned:

Cannibal Holocaust

That's the first one I thought of.

How about The Last Broadcast?

The Valeyard
03-30-12, 05:53 PM
I hated The Last Broadcast. Not a real fan of the genre tho. I spend most of the time waiting for the inevitable "I need to keep recording this for posterity" line.

Here are the ones that I think used the format well:

Cannibal Holocaust
The Blair Witch Project
Man Bites Dog

I have Diary of the Dead but haven't watched it yet. I'm interested in Paranormal Activity because I've heard good things about it.

Why So Blu?
03-30-12, 05:55 PM
Rec & rec 2

Why So Blu?
03-30-12, 05:56 PM
Cloverfield
Blair Witch Project
Quarantine
Diary of the Dead (and this is coming from someone who doesn't like the other 'Dead' movies)

Quarantine is garbage, because they ripped off REC.

RoadToPerdition
03-30-12, 06:01 PM
Blair Witch and Cloverfield.

Maxflier
03-30-12, 06:30 PM
Quarantine is garbage, because they ripped off REC.

Don't really care. I enjoyed Quarantine very much regardless of where the idea came from.

Mr. Flix
03-30-12, 06:50 PM
Responding to my own thread...

- Loved Blair Witch. Like I said, no other movie has scared me as badly as an adult. (The Exorcist scared me more, but I was 8 at the time.)

- Liked Paranormal Activity but thought Paranormal Activity 3 was better in a lot of ways. Thought the second one wasn't that great.

- I saw Quarantine before I saw Rec. Both were very good, but I actually enjoyed Quarantine more.

- I'm a big fan of Cloverfield.

- Let me be the first one to cast a vote for Lake Mungo. If you haven't seen it and like found footage movies, this one's great for some goosebumps.

- Just watched Atrocius this evening after it was recommended in this thread (it's available via Netflix streaming)... and it's quite good.

- I thought Troll Hunter and The Last Exorcism both had their good moments (especially the former), but neither one were great, IMO.

- Haven't seen Diary of the Dead, Chronicle, or Cannibal Holocaust. Really want to see Chronicle, but I'm not so sure about the other two.

William Fuld
03-30-12, 08:38 PM
Either Star Spangled to Death or Rose Hobart

Solid Snake
03-30-12, 09:40 PM
REC
REC 2
Cloverfield
Chronicle
Troll Hunter

Fuck Quarantine. Never saw Blair Witch. Hated Project X, the 15 mins or however long it took till the bitches started coming to the party...never even finished the film...walked out and saw John Carter instead..great flick it was.

Rival11
03-30-12, 09:45 PM
REC
REC 2
Cloverfield
Chronicle
Troll Hunter

Fuck Quarantine. Never saw Blair Witch. Hated the 15 mins or however long it took till the bitches started coming to the party...never even finished the film...walked out and saw John Carter instead..great flick it was.

:lol: what the hell movie are u talking about though???

Solid Snake
03-30-12, 09:55 PM
oh Project X. Fuck. My hatred of it fucked up my typing.

Why So Blu?
03-30-12, 11:36 PM
Don't really care. I enjoyed Quarantine very much regardless of where the idea came from.

There's no accounting for taste.

Charlie Goose
03-30-12, 11:52 PM
Cloverfield and Blair Witch were pretty good. Last Exorcism was okay.

JumpCutz
03-30-12, 11:55 PM
There's no accounting for taste.

:thumbsup:

REC is such a superior film.

I still need to see REC 2 though. :sad:

dhmac
03-31-12, 12:15 AM
"The Blair Witch Project" got under my skin in a way no other movie has since.
Yeah, that movie got under my skin too - it really irritated me with its annoying and stupid characters! The best part of the movie was when those Darwin Award candidates died!

Why So Blu?
03-31-12, 01:03 AM
:thumbsup:

REC is such a superior film.

I still need to see REC 2 though. :sad:

REC 2 is one of the best horror sequels of all time, IMO.

Can't wait for REC 3 and 4!

Dean Kousoulas
03-31-12, 01:16 AM
Cloverfield
Blair Witch Project
Quarantine (and REC, for that matter)

J. Farley
03-31-12, 01:40 AM
I'm a big fan of the sub-genre. The only ones I've seen that I truly disliked were The St. Francisville Experiment and Paranormal Activity 2. Anyway, my favorites...

The Blair Witch Project is undoubtedly the best in my book and one of my top five personal favorite horror films. It still gets to me almost as much as it did when I first saw it.

Noroi, the Curse and Lake Mungo are two others that are very unnerving at times (the latter having one image seen late in the film that really creeped me out). [●Rec] is too, especially the ending. I love how [●Rec]2 takes the ending of the first and runs with it, as it's far more effective than just another zombie/rabies type thing.

I loved The Last Exorcism, ending and all, and Cannibal Holocaust is a disturbing gem with a beautiful score.

Trevor
03-31-12, 09:18 AM
Love the two [REC] films, and quite enjoyed Troll Hunter.

But I'm a sucker for this whole style of film, have pretty much enjoyed all the ones I've seen, and am putting the unseen ones you all have mentioned on my to-see/buy list.

Mr. Flix
03-31-12, 04:08 PM
All of these are currently available for streaming on Netflix:

Trollhunter
Paranormal Activity 1 & 2
Grave Encounters
The Last Exorcism
Atrocius

...and Paranormal Entity (but you want to avoid that one).

printerati
03-31-12, 08:42 PM
Man Bites Dog by far. I'm not too keen on Blair Witch, but I did love that last scene/shot.

Kurtie Dee
03-31-12, 08:44 PM
Ahh, 'tis a good thread. Will have to seek out <i>Lake Mungo</i>. Also, nice to remember that I have a copy of <i>Noroi</i> that I've yet to watch.

Rival11
03-31-12, 09:20 PM
Ahh, 'tis a good thread. Will have to seek out <i>Lake Mungo</i>. Also, nice to remember that I have a copy of <i>Noroi</i> that I've yet to watch.

Def a big reason why I love threads like this - good recommendations (or if not good, at least you may find a title you haven't heard of before) come out of them - I rented..well, had to buy Lake Mungo through vudu - gonna try and watch it tonight...not sure how but vudu gave me a 4 dollar credit so screw it...I'll pay 5 bucks to own it.

My sis stopped by earlier today and saw I had paranormal activity 3 on blu - she demanded we watch it right then and there....just found it funny that shortly after finding lake mungo on vudu to add to the list to watch later...she stops by and that happened.

Why So Blu?
03-31-12, 10:14 PM
Totally forgot about Atrocious. It's awesome!

kd5
04-01-12, 09:40 AM
I hated Blair Witch Project, thought it was one of the dumbest damned movies I'd ever seen, took *GASP! OMG!* to a whole new level, I never cared what happened to anybody in that movie (if that's what you could call it). I wanted my 87 minutes back.

Cloverfield and Paranormal Activity surprised me, I wasn't expecting to like them as much as I did. -kd5-

RonG617
04-01-12, 12:01 PM
Why do people think that Quarantine ripped off Rec? The producers purchased the rights to make an English version of a great movie since most people aren't willing to read subtitles. It is like saying the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is ripping off the Swedish version.

Why So Blu?
04-01-12, 12:21 PM
Why do people think that Quarantine ripped off Rec? The producers purchased the rights to make an English version of a great movie since most people aren't willing to read subtitles. It is like saying the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is ripping off the Swedish version.

Uh, because they did. It's a freakin' remake that was kept on the down low. They didn't even acknowledge (until later) that it was a remake and barely (if any) credit the og filmmakers of REC. REC wasn't even a year old before "Suckantine" came out. Good thing Quarantine 2 was DTV - looks like the studio gave up on the remake series.

Rival11
04-01-12, 12:45 PM
I Still think Quaratine is better than REC but REC 2 is hands down better than both.

Rival11
04-01-12, 12:55 PM
Also, If you haven't yet....check out "Tunnel" - I really dug that one to.

Watched Lake Mungo - pretty good...I thought the documentary approach was a bit of a cop-out but once you get into the meat of the film there is actually a bit of originality thrown in there.

arminius
04-01-12, 07:25 PM
I watched Man Bites Dog today and thought it was a very strange film. At times, like the rape scene, it seemed really poorly staged. Also the lead got really over the top when he kills has own friend. It just had no impact any more in terms of horror at his actions. I did think the end was pretty good.

As for these types of films, I liked Trollhunter, Cloverfield and thought Blair Witch was effective. Paranormal Activity 1 was boring and Cannibal Holocaust did not live up to the hype.

Rival11
05-12-14, 09:33 PM
Wanted to give this thread a bump....first to advise to stay far away from the "Critically acclaimed" Mr. Jones film that recently came out - it was pretty bad.

Second reason for the bump........anyone have any more recommendations on new found footage films or maybe some news on upcoming releases?

Crocker Jarmen
05-12-14, 10:26 PM
Doesn't count as a 'found footage' movie, but the home invasion scene in Henry Portrait of A Serial Killer, plays out as the VHS recording the characters filmed and it looks very realistic and authentic. A really frightening scene.

SuckaMC
05-12-14, 11:20 PM
Can't stress how much I love Europa Report.

Jory
05-12-14, 11:41 PM
I used to hate The Blair Witch Project, until someone pointed something out to me.

"Do you have the DVD?" he said. I did, not because I liked the movie, but because it was $5 on Amazon and I used it to get free shipping on an order. "Watch the fake documentary on the DVD, then watch the movie."

He was right. All of a sudden, The Blair Witch Project became a good movie. All of the necessary exposition is in the documentary.

Some examples of how this helps:

* When the kids find piles of rocks outside their tents in the morning, we have no idea what this means. The documentary explains that the Blair Witch would leave piles of rocks on the doorsteps of her intended victims.

* When the two other kids hear Josh yelling for help in the distance at night, it's somewhat creepy, I guess. But it becomes downright terrifying when you watch the documentary and learn that the Blair Witch would kill people and then steal their voices to lure others to her.

* At the end when (fuck spoiler tags, because come on already) What's Her Face finds What's His Face standing in the corner before being hit by someone or something... again, something mildly creepy becomes terrifying after watching the documentary. The backwoods serial killer from the 1940s would lure kids down to his basement two at a time and make one stand in the corner while he tortured and killed the other.

Why the filmmakers thought it was a good idea to excise all the exposition that was absolutely necessary to the story is beyond me, but I'm glad that the fake documentary was put on the DVD so that I was finally able to enjoy the movie.

J. Farley
05-12-14, 11:58 PM
I'd highly recommend The Conspiracy (2012). It's quite effective and the best found footage film I've seen in a long time. The subject matter is right up my alley, but I think it's quality even if you don't find conspiracy theories fascinating.

d2cheer
05-13-14, 09:28 AM
Recent ones I have enjoyed are:

The Dyatlov Pass Incident or the Devil's Pass

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1905040/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_3

and

Lunopolis

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1539313/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I thought both were pretty good and are on Netflix streaming.

RichC2
05-13-14, 09:32 AM
[REC] is still near the top, also really liked Cloverfield and most recently The Sacrament (Video on Demand):

(Trailer is NSFW, and it spoils most of the movie, but reading the synopsis spoils the entire movie too and it's sort of besides the point.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QqDZFMArLjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Palaver
05-13-14, 09:48 AM
Can't stress how much I love Europa Report.

:up: One of my favorites from last year.

Rival11
05-13-14, 07:26 PM
Cool thanks for all the quick replies!!

Bob_Bobbson
05-13-14, 08:01 PM
I'm happy this thread got bumped. I like the found footage genre and tend to be pretty forgiving towards them. There are very few I've seen that I really didn't like. Paranormal Activity 4 would be one of those (Seriously, who the hell was Robbie?)

Anyway, I've had Atrocious in my Netflix queue for a while, but somehow I missed that it's a found footage movie. I guess I'll check it out sooner rather than later.

Rival11
06-06-14, 09:45 PM
Thanks for recommending "The Conspiracy" It was awesome. And now it's time for me to back track....In this thread I said I liked quaratine more than REC.........not quite sure what the hell I was thinking.

Just watched both Rec and Rec2 this past weekend - they're my all time favorite horror movies hands down. gonna re-watch them again this weekend.

J. Farley
08-31-14, 04:49 AM
Thanks for recommending "The Conspiracy" It was awesome.

Sure thing. I just watched The Den on Netflix and immediately thought of this thread. Aside from a slightly disappointing ending, I loved it and would recommend it as another recent example of a great found footage effort (this one taking place on webcams).

hbilly
08-31-14, 06:55 AM
Personal fave is Evidence (2012, though IMDb keeps changing the year of release between 2011 and 2012). It's not great but very good for what it is. Best use of malfunctioning video equipment (glitches, drop outs, audio/video distortions etc) seen in a found footage film so far, also, amazing "wtf?" ending.

Recently watched: The Borderlands (2013). It's a paranormal UK team investigating isolated haunted church found footage movie. There's some black humor and fun characters. The ending made my hands sweat.

I did enjoy Apartment 143 (2011). It's not very original (starts out like Paranormal Activity) but switches gears halfway through. There are a few very emotional (and believable) scenes which takes this movie to another level.

Why So Blu?
08-31-14, 10:45 AM
REC
REC 2
Europa Report
Afflicted

That's all I got for now.

Mike86
08-31-14, 11:39 AM
I don't really care for the genre and think it gets overused now days. I don't mind the Paranormal Activity series (of the ones I've seen). Quarantine wasn't too bad either but I've heard the REC series is better.

Bluelitespecial
08-31-14, 02:45 PM
I will agree with Cloverfield since it is a good movie. I will also add Project X, it was a fun way to use the found footage idea, and its just fun to watch.

rbrown498
08-31-14, 08:20 PM
If you've never seen HOME MOVIE, you should give it a look:

https://sp3.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608053776084437099&pid=15.1&P=0

I also enjoyed THE BAY:

http://media.coveringmedia.com/media/images/movies/2013/03/03/theb_d2.jpg

Norm de Plume
09-01-14, 12:28 AM
Notwithstanding the lame title and ruinous final line of dialogue, Grave Encounters is a very solid entry.

Rival11
09-02-14, 08:48 PM
I would Highly recommend The possession of Michael King - it's not the greatest movie by any means but there are some great scares in it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rIZbq7V2xvs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Norm de Plume
09-20-14, 11:35 PM
I saw The Den recently, and it's a very effective entry, even if, as is common with these films, it strains credulity with the characters always conveniently managing to find themselves on camera. The movie is sort of like a slasher pic seen through the prism of modern technology.

Rival11
09-22-14, 05:47 PM
Home movie was decent - they could have done so much more - but it had an outstanding last shot - that was actually one of the creepiest I've seen and what made it so effective was The silence but the rest of the flick is kind of boring. Still worth a watch and thanks for recommending it.