DVD Talk
Wife endures decades of abuse before being murdered (Seattle) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Wife endures decades of abuse before being murdered (Seattle)

RunBandoRun
03-30-12, 10:33 AM
Here's the link:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017852049_homicide28m.html?prmid=obinsource

Here's the text:

Wife in hatchet slaying abused for years, prosecutors say

A retired Boeing employee accused of killing his wife with a hatchet last week allegedly packed his car, withdrew thousands of dollars from his bank account and took his wife's Pomeranian to a kennel, all in anticipation of fleeing, according to King County prosecutors. Instead, James Schumacher walked into the Bellevue Police Department on Friday and told officers he'd killed his wife.

By Sara Jean Green

Seattle Times staff reporter

A retired Boeing employee accused of killing his wife with a hatchet last week allegedly packed his car, withdrew thousands of dollars from his bank account and took his wife's Pomeranian to a kennel, all in anticipation of fleeing, according to King County prosecutors.

Instead, James Schumacher who had allegedly abused his wife and children for decades walked into the Bellevue Police Department on Friday and told officers he'd killed his wife, Jean, days earlier and hid her body under her bed.

Schumacher, 71, was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder domestic violence and is being held in King County Jail in lieu of $2 million bail.

"The attack was a culmination of decades of verbal, mental and physical abuse perpetuated by the defendant against his wife," Senior Deputy Prosecutor Sean O'Donnell wrote in charging documents, which cited Jean Schumacher's November 2010 petition for a protection order against her husband.

James Schumacher, apparently worried that his wife was going to divorce him, retrieved a hatchet from his garage and then used a nail to pick the lock to his wife's bedroom, where she was sleeping, charging documents say. He thought she was awake but ignoring him, so he then hit her in the head with the hatchet six times, the papers say.

Police believe Jean Schumacher, 71, was killed sometime between March 19 and 21.

Jean Schumacher wrote that she lived in constant fear of her husband and couldn't count the number of times he'd threatened to kill her, according to her 2010 petition. Her adult son and daughter also wrote of the vicious beatings they endured as children and of how their father repeatedly abused their mother over the course of their 46-year marriage, the petition says.

Jean Schumacher sought the protection order after her husband was arrested for pushing her with so much force that she hit her back and head on the dining-room floor, according to the petition. She required medical attention and said the reason for that assault was that she had accidentally knocked over her husband's box of Cheerios.

She alleged in her petition that while working for Boeing, her husband drank excessively and she feared he'd lose his job because he frequently called in sick. After he retired at age 62, the abuse intensified and the intervening years became "nightmares to me," Jean Schumacher wrote.

She described her husband's bizarre behavior he drove around with his dead parents' ashes in his car for years, collected plastic forks, spoons and shopping bags, and refused to bathe for weeks at a time, according to her petition.

Her daughter wrote of "living in terror" of Schumacher: "I often attempted to escape him by locking myself in the bathroom, basement or my bedroom. He would then either pick the door lock or break the door jam while screaming at me and calling me vulgar names," she wrote in support of her mother's petition for the protection order.

The couple's son also wrote of being beaten by his father, often with a belt or wooden spoon, and of his concern for his mother's welfare.

A King County Superior Court judge granted the protection order, court records show. The following month, Jean Schumacher asked that the order be modified, allowing her and her husband to talk on the phone and meet once a week to discuss finances and other household matters, according to the records. That request was also granted.

The protection order was terminated last July at Jean Schumacher's request, court records show. Her finances were dwindling and she was overwhelmed trying to take care of the house by herself, she wrote.

"Mr. Schumacher and I are in our declining years with health issues and hopefully this very unfortunate separation has proven to be beneficial to our marriage as a learning experience and a dedication to respect each other and live out the rest of our lives in a contented and peaceable manner," she wrote.

Sara Jean Green: 206-515-5654 or sgreen@seattletimes.com

I know this is going to sound awful, but I just don't understand women who stay with men like this. Leave the damn house! Disappear! It sounds like her kids might have been willing to help her if she'd tried. I feel sick inside after reading this story. I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

Tracer Bullet
03-30-12, 10:35 AM
I know this is going to sound awful, but I just don't understand women who stay with men like this.

You don't? Really?

Th0r S1mpson
03-30-12, 10:41 AM
I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

Wouldn't a hatchet be more appropriate?

Matt
03-30-12, 10:45 AM
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

suziq999
03-30-12, 10:53 AM
That'll teach her to knock over the Cheerios.

:/

And seriously, Vib. You've never heard of battered woman syndrome?

TomOpus
03-30-12, 10:54 AM
While I feel bad her life had to end in such a violent manner, I'm also angry that she allowed this monster to treat her children so horribly for so many years. I wonder if the circle of violence is continuing with them.

I understand how difficult it is to leave someone even when abused but when you have children who are on the receiving end of the abuse it makes it more difficult to understand. At least he turned himself in. Hopefully he'll plead guilty so there's no trial and he can get what's coming a lot quicker.

RunBandoRun
03-30-12, 10:59 AM
That'll teach her to knock over the Cheerios.

:/

And seriously, Vib. You've never heard of battered woman syndrome?

Of course I have. I've even known a few battered women. But it still makes me angry. Mostly at him, but some at her too. Leave his ass! No amount of money is worth getting beat on like that. I've taken in friends who were in abusive relationships before.

I'm sure that the kids had seen Mom go back over and over again and that's why they didn't help. And maybe I'll never understand it anyway, because the first time I got hit would be the last time, period. The one time I ever got hit (at a tender eighteen), I pushed the bastard backwards into his expensive stereo speakers, grabbed his keys, and walked out the door then drove his car away. I called one of my brothers from a 7-Eleven and we left his car there, unlocked, with the keys in it. Don't mess with Vibs. :D

Dr Mabuse
03-30-12, 11:03 AM
I guess he couldn't hack the guilt?

I got nothin...

Mabuse
03-30-12, 01:20 PM
I like how he killed his wife with a hatchet, but he's humane enough to arange for the dog to be at a kennel while he flees the law.

My Other Self
03-30-12, 02:07 PM
I like how he killed his wife with a hatchet, but he's humane enough to arange for the dog to be at a kennel while he flees the law.I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

TomOpus
03-30-12, 02:10 PM
I like how he killed his wife with a hatchet, but he's humane enough to arange for the dog to be at a kennel while he flees the law.If it was the other way around we'd call him "Dave".

madcougar
03-30-12, 02:19 PM
You don't? Really?

I honestly don't want to sound like a complete dick... but putting up with it for 46 years? That's unbelievable.

DaveyJoe
03-30-12, 02:28 PM
Nice to see they were finally able to bury the hatchet.

Lt Ripley
03-30-12, 02:47 PM
I've got nothing sarcastic to say about this one except if he would have collected sporks, maybe that would have sedated his violent tenancies.

NORML54601
03-30-12, 04:06 PM
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

:lol: :up:

Giantrobo
03-30-12, 04:14 PM
Ill bet she had a Hoodie on....

Norm de Plume
03-30-12, 04:51 PM
She axed him one too many questions.

rexinnih
03-30-12, 05:04 PM
I like how he killed his wife with a hatchet, but he's humane enough to arange for the dog to be at a kennel while he flees the law.

Oh yeah, totally other way around for me. I hate Pommerainians, or however you spell the annoying little things.

arminius
03-30-12, 05:10 PM
She axed him one too many questions.

Ah, she was from Long Island.

Mabuse
03-30-12, 05:57 PM
Oh yeah, totally other way around for me. I hate Pommerainians, or however you spell the annoying little things.

Fucking dog has fucking papers!

tasha99
03-30-12, 09:46 PM
Seventy one years old, so she likely had her kids in the 60's. Not so hard to imagine she didn't have the strength to leave. Divorce wasn't as accepted (though it was becoming so by the 70's). They wouldn't talk about things like abuse on tv; basically all this information we have with the Internet wasn't available. I bet she was very isolated and had no idea what to do. Then her kids were grown, and she was an older woman and it probably became kind of normalized to her. Very sad story.

PopcornTreeCt
03-30-12, 10:14 PM
Well, at least she's not being abused anymore.

kvrdave
03-30-12, 11:19 PM
But did she learn her lesson?

Rockmjd23
03-31-12, 01:44 AM
Wow, 46 years of bad cooking and beds not being made. :eek:

Mosskeeto
03-31-12, 02:26 AM
"He thought she was awake but ignoring him, so he then hit her in the head with the hatchet six times, the papers say."

That's one hell of a wake up call...

antspawn
03-31-12, 07:24 AM
I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

Yes by Fox or studio interested in a TV series or movie.

Nick Danger
03-31-12, 09:04 PM
I know this is going to sound awful, but I just don't understand women who stay with men like this.

We're aware that you aren't very understanding. You got all bent out of shape because your friend hooked up with a career criminal who was fresh out of prison. But she loved him!