Old 03-29-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Big Bang Theory -- "The Transporter Malfunction" -- 3/29/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-11

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
"The Transporter Malfunction" - Penny buys Leonard and Sheldon "Star Trek" collectibles as a thank-you, leading Sheldon to be haunted by Mr. Spock. Meanwhile, Raj decides he has met the "Future Mrs. Koothrappali" after his parents set him up on a date, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, March 29 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Leonard Nimoy guest stars as "Mr. Spock"

Episode 20 of 24
Old 03-29-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory -- "The Transporter Malfunction" -- 3/29/12

I was kind of hoping that Nimoy would appear on the show as himself, so the guys can go nuts.

Still, the various Spock poses were pretty funny.
Old 03-29-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pre-credit bit was weak and my expectations lowered. Then the rest of the show proved to be funny.
Old 03-29-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
The pre-credit bit was weak and my expectations lowered. Then the rest of the show proved to be funny.
Hmm... that was exactly my thought. After defending BBT in the Community thread, I thought "well I guess I was mistaken." But there were plenty of laughs.
Old 03-30-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I thought this was one of the best episodes. Of course, I actually had that Spock doll as a kid and my brother had the USS Enterprise playset which came with the transporter. I don't remember it being sold separately. I also got a big laugh out of the Gorn appearance as well as the Raj storyline and the Howard's wedding planning comments.
Old 03-30-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I thought this was one of the best episodes. Of course, I actually had that Spock doll as a kid and my brother had the USS Enterprise playset which came with the transporter. I don't remember it being sold separately.
I think I still have mine somewhere. I don't remember the transporter being sold separately either, but the one on the Enterprise playset did work the same way.

The ones in the show were sold in the UK through Palitoy

Palitoy Transporter by gibbspaulus, on Flickr

Here's a pic with the box.

I imagine the ones on the show were reproductions. This is supposedly pretty rare.

EDIT: Spock was a reproduction so no doubt the transporters were too.
Old 03-30-12, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I think I still have mine somewhere.
You think you still have yours somewhere.

Right.

You play with it every day, don't you? FESS UP.
Old 03-30-12, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Yeah, I'm a Mego collector, and people on the Mego collectors' forum I'm a member of are literally wetting themselves with delight over this episode. Yes, in the UK, the transporter was sold by itself by Palitoy, as opposed to it being a part of the Enterprise Bridge playset as it was sold in North America by Mego. The Palitoy transporter is quite uncommon, and worth some bucks, the boxes on the show were definitely repro, almost certainly the transporter shown was too. And I don't believe the originals even had a tape seal, so the whole dilemma of opening the boxes would probably be a non-issue in reality.

Great episode, the scenes with (repro) Mego Spock were well done.
Old 03-31-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is Uhura wearing brown pants? Wouldn't it be cheaper for the company to just cast the figure's legs in brown and not bother making pants. Her legs were showing in the show. Looks like her hand isn't the same color as her head. Or is this just some 60's mentality as the reason that a doll's legs can't be shown.
Old 03-31-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was my first "live" episode. I have spent the last few months catching up with this show starting with season 1. I must say it feels good to be on the same page now.

I noticed the boxes said "Palitoy" too. I've never collected Star Trek or Mego, but I know vintage Star Wars stuff over there was also put out by Palitoy.
Old 03-31-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

So is that the direction the writers are headed with Raj? That he'll come out of the closet in a future episode? It kid of all makes sense when you think about it.
Old 03-31-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
So is that the direction the writers are headed with Raj? That he'll come out of the closet in a future episode? It kid of all makes sense when you think about it.
I've just started watching the show in reruns (since it's pretty much inescapable now) and haven't seen many from this season. Did Raj cure his problem with talking to women? Or are we just assuming he's always drinking?

They've shown him in the sack with a woman at least once, so I don't think they'll actually make him gay.
Old 03-31-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Why is Uhura wearing brown pants? Wouldn't it be cheaper for the company to just cast the figure's legs in brown and not bother making pants. Her legs were showing in the show. Looks like her hand isn't the same color as her head. Or is this just some 60's mentality as the reason that a doll's legs can't be shown.
The figure's whole body is brown, it's just that Mego often designed outfits like this, presumably to hide the figures' joints. For example, the Mego Tarzan figure wears an entire flesh colored bodysuit underneath his loincloth.

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I noticed the boxes said "Palitoy" too. I've never collected Star Trek or Mego, but I know vintage Star Wars stuff over there was also put out by Palitoy.

Yeah, Palitoy released a lot of Mego's 8" figure lines in the UK, just like they did with many of Kenner's Star Wars items.
Old 03-31-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
The figure's whole body is brown, it's just that Mego often designed outfits like this, presumably to hide the figures' joints. For example, the Mego Tarzan figure wears an entire flesh colored bodysuit underneath his loincloth.
They even put a shirt and pants on the Mugato!

Old 03-31-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The only reason i recognized those toys is because of Comic Book Men.
Old 03-31-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I've just started watching the show in reruns (since it's pretty much inescapable now) and haven't seen many from this season. Did Raj cure his problem with talking to women? Or are we just assuming he's always drinking?
No, he's always drinking. It seems every time they're eating he has some sort of alcoholic beverage (usually beer or wine) just so he can deliver his lines.

Although I saw a repeat the other day where they were at a trivia competition and Raj wasn't drinking anything and I didn't remember him drinking before the competition - yet he was answering questions even though there were women present (one on his team in fact).

They've shown him in the sack with a woman at least once, so I don't think they'll actually make him gay.
I don't think they'll make him gay either. He seems more sensitive and already admitted he's metrosexual - so that's as far as they can take him I think. He has problems speaking to women because he's heterosexual - making him gay would just toss that whole history of him out the window.

But the question I have is, can you be a nerd AND metrosexual? Being metrosexual means you spend a lot of time/effort on your appearance including wearing stylish clothing. Nerds aren't up on the latest clothing trends. In fact, while Raj isn't as bad as say Howard, he hasn't exactly dressed well with his constant use of 4 layers of shirts that seems to clash with one another.
Old 03-31-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I was kind of hoping that Nimoy would appear on the show as himself, so the guys can go nuts.

Still, the various Spock poses were pretty funny.

I did too. I saw this picture and I thought he had a cameo on the show.

What would of been better is to have both Wil Wheaton and Leonard Nimoy on the show at the same time.
Old 04-02-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Nimoy retired from acting a few years ago, that's why only his voice was there.
Old 04-02-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Tiny Spock was awesome.
Old 04-02-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Putting Spock in new poses every time they cut back to him was genius. It put that totally over the top.

I actually felt bad for Sheldon's toy breaking. That sucks as a kid...and would suck in his case too I did like the series of lies. And I'm glad they made a point of having Sheldon thank Penny. Would have been a jerk move if he didn't.
Old 04-02-12, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get the point with the Raj story line. Talk to parents, always great, meet girl, hit if off, she's a lesbian. Why get Raj's (our) hopes up and dash them in 10 minutes of the 30 minutes of the show? It seemed to clockwork and pointless.