Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Pages : [1] 2

berigan
03-29-12, 11:05 AM
If there is a better place to post this, please let me know, I looked, and no section seemed to fit!
So, will they end up trying to close most of their stores someday? How can you shop for a TV without seeing the screen? I know, jumping the gun...
Also, at least one grammatical error in this yahoo article...
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-buy-cut-costs-open-132515482.html

Groucho
03-29-12, 11:13 AM
This would really suck if they closed the store by me. It was nice to be able to get hands off experience with a product before I went home and ordered it on Amazon.

Timber
03-29-12, 11:23 AM
I went into a Best Buy this weekend for the first time in months. Not the BB I remember, the layout was screwed up, products weren't liked up with the sales tags. Really not worth my time.

PopcornTreeCt
03-29-12, 11:41 AM
I went into Best Buy for the first time in years when they had used DVD trade in deal going. I was surprised by how they changed everything around the store. I don't know the reason why I always knew where to go and then it was like I couldn't find anything.

Best Buy has had some deals that rivaled Amazon, especially that Gamer Zone coupon to get Arkham City for $5. But overall, Amazon is the way to go.

Josh-da-man
03-29-12, 12:19 PM
I went into a Best Buy this weekend for the first time in months. Not the BB I remember, the layout was screwed up, products weren't liked up with the sales tags. Really not worth my time.

Yeah, the stores are cluttered and disorganized, and they're poorly stocked to boot.

This strategy worked out really well for Circuit City.

Timber
03-29-12, 12:21 PM
Never will any store come up with a way that is worse than the way Circuit City used to stock it's DVD's.

majorjoe23
03-29-12, 01:38 PM
I've been going to BB pretty regularly lately, but it's to use my Viggle Best Buy gift certificates to buy Amazon gift cards. So I'm probably not doing them any good.

trespoochies
03-29-12, 02:33 PM
No offense, and I feel sad for the employees getting canned, but FUCK Best Buy. I go fairly regularly, especially recently when shopping for my new TV, but their knowledge sucks ass and their prices are too damn high. I ended up getting my 60" from Amazon for $500 less and free shipping. I know they're the last game in town, but I feel since they know that, that gave them constant license to do whatever the hell they wanted.

Alan Smithee
03-29-12, 03:17 PM
It's almost impossible to shop for a TV now. Best Buy doesn't have the remotes out for most of their TVs, and you usually can't see anything on them except for their demo feed (which I've heard now comes from DirecTV, looks a little better than the compressed HD video from hard drives they were using before.) Next time I buy a TV I may end up taking home several in order to determine which one is best and return the rest. I read something recently saying electronics stores in general have been getting too many customer returns, but this is why.

NoirFan
03-29-12, 03:51 PM
Good riddance. The few times I went into one of their stores, the prices were all much higher than Amazon's.

davidh777
03-29-12, 05:12 PM
If there is a better place to post this, please let me know, I looked, and no section seemed to fit!
So, will they end up trying to close most of their stores someday? How can you shop for a TV without seeing the screen? I know, jumping the gun...
Also, at least one grammatical error in this yahoo article...
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-buy-cut-costs-open-132515482.html

This is the correct forum, though you could have used one of the previous Best Buy threads as MWB did, but whatever.

More from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2012/03/29/best-buy-cost-cutting-to-profitability/

3/29/2012 @ 1:42PM |54,999 views

Best Buy Cutting 50 Stores To Get Profitable. Good Luck With That.

Best Buy is closing 50 superstores and focusing on mobile in an effort to reduce expenses. But since when is cost cutting to profitability a successful retail strategy?

Since never.

The electronics chain announced it would shutter 50 stores and concentrate on smaller stores selling mobile electronics. There will be 100 more of these locations by the end of this year and two markets — San Antonio, Texas and the Twin Cities — will receive remodeled superstores dubbed “Connected Stores.”

"In order to help make technology work for every one of our customers and transform our business as the consumer electronics industry continues to evolve, we are taking major actions to improve our operating performance,” said Brian J. Dunn, CEO of Best Buy. “As part of our multi-channel strategy, we intend to strengthen our portfolio of store formats and footprints — closing some big box stores, modifying others to our enhanced Connected Store format, and adding Best Buy Mobile stand-alone locations — all to provide a better shopping environment for our customers across multiple channels while increasing points of presence, and to improve performance and profitability.

In so many ways, it feels like a shell game. The kind that companies use to deflect negative attention by waving their arms and yelling, “look over here!” Changing things up, reducing its footprint and getting out of too large or otherwise unfavorable locations is important and probably needed to be done long ago. But these changes look more like an olive branch to the financial community: a restructuring to reduce costs.

In order to be more efficient and align the company with the opportunities that will provide the greatest returns, the company is taking significant actions to lower its cost base (via) $800 million in cost reductions by fiscal 2015; including approximately $250 million in fiscal 2013.

Management estimates a $300 million savings from the store closures and another $300 million in corporate reductions — Best Buy is also laying off 400 people at its Minneapolis headquarters.

Cost cutting its way to profitability.

The store changes seem mild and hardly innovative enough or broad enough to jump start a flailing retail model. Nor is it a new cycle for Best Buy.

In the late 1990′s as it was eagerly nipping at Circuit City’s heels, Best Buy downsized its stores from 55,000 sq. ft. to 45,000 sq. ft. The older and larger stores were merchandising exercise equipment, long runs of magazine racks and gas grills, as management tried to boost sales per sq. ft.

It wasn’t long after that management began investing in smaller formats. Best Buy even bought Musicland, ostensibly for its many small store locations in markets that couldn’t support a Best Buy superstore. That was a big disaster, as management later admitted.

Analysts believe Best Buy is doing the right thing. Right or wrong, at least Best Buy is doing something. Sometimes the bigger thing to do is go small, but a retailer still has to sell more stuff, not just jettison the people and locations that are supposed to help it do just that.

Tarantino
03-29-12, 06:25 PM
Best Buy is also putting 60% more money into training associates this year as part of the plan. That should work to the customers' advantage. I don't see that mentioned anywhere.

Dean Kousoulas
03-29-12, 06:36 PM
Best Buy is also putting 60% more money into training associates this year as part of the plan. That should work to the customers' advantage. I don't see that mentioned anywhere.

What type of training can we expect though? If it's new ways to up sell customers into replacement plans, or explaining why the $80 HDMI cables are better then the $2 one on Amazon, we're all doomed.

davidh777
03-29-12, 06:37 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Part of the problem is the lousy sales staff agendas. :lol:

My Other Self
03-29-12, 07:56 PM
Best Buy is also putting 60% more money into training associates this year as part of the plan. That should work to the customers' advantage. I don't see that mentioned anywhere.Of course they're not going to mention that. People don't want to read about positive things when it comes to a company a lot of people despise.

I don't think them allocating 60% more money (60% more than what, exactly?) to "train" associates is going to help spiffy up their image as a customer friendly, non-pushy shopping experience. It's what the chain is known for. They can't rectify that and make it work at this point.

One of their bigger mistakes was remodeling all their stores to the jumbled messes they are now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They don't listen to that model.

I mainly just want to see the list of stores. There are 5 close to me that I can think of off the top of my head. One of them has got to be going.

Tarantino
03-29-12, 10:55 PM
Typical DVDTalkers. Bitch, bitch, bitch that associates are young, stupid & untrained, then roll your eyes when adding money to try and train associates is brought up.

I guess we'll just have to see how it all shakes up. I know I can't defend my company here, so I won't even try.

berigan
03-30-12, 02:19 AM
No offense, and I feel sad for the employees getting canned, but FUCK Best Buy. I go fairly regularly, especially recently when shopping for my new TV, but their knowledge sucks ass and their prices are too damn high. I ended up getting my 60" from Amazon for $500 less and free shipping. I know they're the last game in town, but I feel since they know that, that gave them constant license to do whatever the hell they wanted.

And if Best Buy goes the way of the dinosaur, do you think Amazon will feel the need to sell TV's as cheaply as they do know? I'm sure part of their long term goals is to get rid of their main competition, so they can jack prices up. Then when it's just them and Wal mart, why compete? Where will the suckers go then???

Vipper II
03-30-12, 09:58 AM
And if Best Buy goes the way of the dinosaur, do you think Amazon will feel the need to sell TV's as cheaply as they do know? I'm sure part of their long term goals is to get rid of their main competition, so they can jack prices up. Then when it's just them and Wal mart, why compete? Where will the suckers go then???

Yeah, because it's not like there are several other online retailers that also sell TVs with which Amazon competes. Losing Best Buy would do absolutely nothing to Amazon's prices.

fujishig
03-30-12, 02:35 PM
Yeah, because it's not like there are several other online retailers that also sell TVs with which Amazon competes. Losing Best Buy would do absolutely nothing to Amazon's prices.

This may be true for TVs, I have no idea.

But for sure Best Buy closing or even having less sales would up the price of DVDs, Blu Rays, and games. Amazon rarely comes up with it's own sales on these kinds of things anymore (at least anything worthwhile... I'm not counting the non-Xmas time Lightning deals and such) and just match BB, Target, and other retailers. And sometimes BB is the only one with decent DVD/Blu sales.

Shannon Nutt
03-30-12, 02:57 PM
Best Buy seemed to go downhill when they eliminated the competition (Circuit City, Media Play (which I loved, even though they were high priced) and others). I won't shed a tear when they're gone...I actually haven't even been INSIDE one since probably 2009. I remember a day, though, where they were the ONLY store I could find DVDs at.

Alan Smithee
03-30-12, 07:41 PM
Best Buy was one of the causes of putting Tower Records and other dedicated media stores out of business (one Best Buy here was close to a Virgin Megastore and just KILLED them on prices), now they're becoming a worse place to shop for said media than they were before. The owners of a local chain of record stores here have been saying they expect their business to go up eventually since stores like Best Buy are de-emphasizing media. Fry's is still a great place to shop for DVDs though.

My Other Self
03-30-12, 08:29 PM
Best Buy seemed to go downhill when they eliminated the competition (Circuit City, Media Play (which I loved, even though they were high priced) and others). I won't shed a tear when they're gone...I actually haven't even been INSIDE one since probably 2009. I remember a day, though, where they were the ONLY store I could find DVDs at.Media Play was by far my favorite store for video games and DVDs in their heyday. I felt bad when they went under. I may have spent a couple bucks more on a title but their customer service was unmatched.

My shopping habits have shifted over the years so I don't go in to Best Buy enough to warrant any sort of feelings of hoping they close. Less competition is never good, but when you're the only big-box nationwide electronics retailer left, what is their competition? They hold a monopoly and are now facing stiffer pricing from stores that don't necessarily cater to just electronics.

The chain's not going to go under any time soon, but closing stores and refocusing their business model to spend 60% more of some unknown number on training and educating isn't going to help them. I could be wrong. I seem to remember Circuit City and CompUSA doing the exact same thing before they folded.

UAIOE
03-31-12, 01:23 AM
Never will any store come up with a way that is worse than the way Circuit City used to stock it's DVD's.

The only thing worse than CC's DVD organization....was their CD organization. Shopping at CC was just a unnecessary chore.

The BB here seems to be well organized despite having greatly reduced size Media section, and that seems to lead to other music related frustrations. I might go in to buy a music CD because i "want it now", except they don't have it in stock. I don't wanna ask someone because they'll just point me to Bestbuy.com. Honestly, if I wanted it order it online, I would have just fired up Amazon.com.

I remember when Best Buy launched their website, it was a mess. I actually told people to search for music/movies on Amazon.com because it had a far superior search function.

Josh-da-man
03-31-12, 01:28 AM
It wouldn't surpise me at all if, in a five years, Best Buy will become a chain of mall stores selling cell phones, laptops, tablets, printer ink, gaming consoles, and other smaller items. They will still keep a handful of bigger stores open that sell TVs and major appliances, re-branded Best Buy Superstores, but those will be few and far between.

Timber
04-01-12, 02:24 PM
It wouldn't surpise me at all if, in a five years, Best Buy will become a chain of mall stores selling cell phones, laptops, tablets, printer ink, gaming consoles, and other smaller items. They will still keep a handful of bigger stores open that sell TVs and major appliances, re-branded Best Buy Superstores, but those will be few and far between.

So in essence they would become Radio Shack?

I could actually see that happening though. They could kill the car stereo department and very few would miss it at this point. The appliance section is probably a good money maker and does take up a good amount of space. Get rid of both media sections which are loss leaders and their footprint would be greatly reduced.

Alan Smithee
04-01-12, 03:43 PM
The media sections are usually why I go into the stores in the first place. If they get rid of those, I likely won't ever go in unless I'm specifically looking for electronics (and given Best Buy's crappy service, I'm likely to make the purchase someplace else.)

thetao
04-01-12, 08:20 PM
South-central PA isn't a huge market, but there are plenty of other B&M stores for buying major appliances, televisions, and mobile phones. Somewhat less so for computers, car stereos, and other home entertainment. But how many televisions, refrigerators, and stereos does the average household buy? I visit a Best Buy for music and movies, and while their selection was once formidable, today I prefer the mall...which is about as bad an insult as I can imagine. Excluding BB-exclusives, very special sales, and Christmas (got a kitchen spacemaker radio/CD player there this past December), for me they have already ceased to exist.

UAIOE
04-05-12, 11:58 PM
I ran into a former co-worker (who is still at BB) and he said that the store here now carries only the top 700 albums vs when I worked there (circa 2000) when they carried the top 5,000 albums.

I was amazed (but not surprised) at that reduction.

Tarantino
04-10-12, 10:09 AM
Our CEO resigned today. Not sure what that means for the company, but I'm optimistic. Hopefully they bring in someone from the outside to change some things up.

Deftones
04-10-12, 12:56 PM
It means he sees the writing on the wall!

Goat3001
04-10-12, 01:15 PM
I wonder how many people that are happy about Best Buy going under are going to be the same ones that bitch when Amazon and Wal-Mart start raising prices.

Chrisedge
04-10-12, 01:31 PM
I just bought a 55" Samsung LED from them, it was the same price as Amazon and elsewhere on the interwebs. Oh and I bought the warranty too. :forumsheadexplodes:

:shrug: I like BB

Tarantino
04-10-12, 02:20 PM
It means he sees the writing on the wall!

I don't think it was his decision.

Shannon Nutt
04-10-12, 02:34 PM
I wonder how many people that are happy about Best Buy going under are going to be the same ones that bitch when Amazon and Wal-Mart start raising prices.

It's not just about pricing...it's about customer service - and BB was/is one of the worst at that.

Deftones
04-10-12, 04:37 PM
I don't think it was his decision.

Sounds like he was under investigation. Woops!

http://www.startribune.com/local/146811365.html

Tarantino
04-10-12, 05:11 PM
Sounds like he was under investigation. Woops!

http://www.startribune.com/local/146811365.html

:lol: great news scoop there, April O'Neill.

Goat3001
04-10-12, 05:14 PM
It's not just about pricing...it's about customer service - and BB was/is one of the worst at that.

And where exactly can you get low prices and great customer service? Wal Mart? Target? In my experience they're all the same. They hire cheap labor to keep the prices down and it reflects in their customer service. If I were buying a tv, I could go to a specialty store, but why would I want to pay a higher price if I'm already knowledgable about the product I'm buying?

Deftones
04-10-12, 07:16 PM
:lol: great news scoop there, April O'Neill.

I'm just reposting a link from a Consumerist article about it. I'm sorry that you will soon be out of a job.

Tarantino
04-10-12, 07:42 PM
I'm just reposting a link from a Consumerist article about it. I'm sorry that you will soon be out of a job.

:lol: glad to see your personal vendetta against me goes beyond the web.

I'm employed now and my guess is that won't be changing anytime soon.

Matt
04-11-12, 01:59 AM
:lol: That guy was always in the monthly pep talk videos we would watch.

Word on the street is that this guy is next in line to take over as CEO:

http://i.imgur.com/whCMf.jpg

Alan Smithee
04-11-12, 02:06 AM
Was just at a Best Buy today because of their deal on the "Darkest Hour" and "Three Musketeers" 3D Blu-Rays for under 20 bucks each- don't have a 3D TV yet but may be getting one soon. They ALMOST lost the sale because once again these discs both had slipcovers that weren't sealed, and fucking Best Buy stuck price tags right on top of them. I managed to peel them both off in the store without damaging the cover, so I went ahead and bought them anyway since nobody else had this deal (my alternative was to just buy "Darkest Hour" by itself at Target for $19.99).

Was on limited time but took a quick look at the TVs on display- NONE of them had the remotes out, and they were all fastened to the wall so I couldn't look at the back and see what sort of inputs/outputs they had. If I buy a TV I want to at LEAST check out the remote and get a feel for what sort of control the TV allows (can I adjust the overscan to my liking? Can I turn off on-screen displays when they annoy me, or do they stay up for a few seconds no matter what? Will it automatically go into 4x3 mode on standard-def channels and sources? How do you access the closed captions and alternate audio tracks on TV broadcasts? That sort of thing.) I remember a couple years ago I got some salesclown to actually track down a remote for a TV I wanted to look at, but he told me to make sure and set the picture back to the way it was (with overcranked color and brightness) when I was done. I asked him "Why, is it company policy that TVs on display are required to look like crap?" I think he pretended not to hear me ;)

Timber
04-11-12, 09:12 AM
And where exactly can you get low prices and great customer service? Wal Mart? Target? In my experience they're all the same. They hire cheap labor to keep the prices down and it reflects in their customer service. If I were buying a tv, I could go to a specialty store, but why would I want to pay a higher price if I'm already knowledgable about the product I'm buying?

Guys want 2 things when they're shopping, and I say guys because that's BB's main market. First they want to be left alone, second they want people around if they have a question. Best Buy is horrible at both. I don't want some random coming up to me when I'm looking through the Blu-rays asking if I need help, and if he's asking he better damn sure be prepared with an answer if I throw something at him.

Target, Wal-mart both excel at the first (leaving me alone) while are not particularly good at the second (knowledgeable) BB fails at both.

Goat3001
04-11-12, 11:00 AM
Was just at a Best Buy today because of their deal on the "Darkest Hour" and "Three Musketeers" 3D Blu-Rays for under 20 bucks each- don't have a 3D TV yet but may be getting one soon. They ALMOST lost the sale because once again these discs both had slipcovers that weren't sealed, and fucking Best Buy stuck price tags right on top of them. I managed to peel them both off in the store without damaging the cover, so I went ahead and bought them anyway since nobody else had this deal (my alternative was to just buy "Darkest Hour" by itself at Target for $19.99).

Was on limited time but took a quick look at the TVs on display- NONE of them had the remotes out, and they were all fastened to the wall so I couldn't look at the back and see what sort of inputs/outputs they had. If I buy a TV I want to at LEAST check out the remote and get a feel for what sort of control the TV allows (can I adjust the overscan to my liking? Can I turn off on-screen displays when they annoy me, or do they stay up for a few seconds no matter what? Will it automatically go into 4x3 mode on standard-def channels and sources? How do you access the closed captions and alternate audio tracks on TV broadcasts? That sort of thing.) I remember a couple years ago I got some salesclown to actually track down a remote for a TV I wanted to look at, but he told me to make sure and set the picture back to the way it was (with overcranked color and brightness) when I was done. I asked him "Why, is it company policy that TVs on display are required to look like crap?" I think he pretended not to hear me ;)

You do realize that you're in the 1% of people that give a shit about what their slipcover looks like, right? And you're also in the 1% that cares about what the back of the TV looks like? Best Buy caters to the masses. How do people not get this? If you want all the things you want then pay the higher price and go to a store that specializes in selling TV's.

Guys want 2 things when they're shopping, and I say guys because that's BB's main market. First they want to be left alone, second they want people around if they have a question. Best Buy is horrible at both. I don't want some random coming up to me when I'm looking through the Blu-rays asking if I need help, and if he's asking he better damn sure be prepared with an answer if I throw something at him.

Target, Wal-mart both excel at the first (leaving me alone) while are not particularly good at the second (knowledgeable) BB fails at both.

Interesting. So you want to be left alone unless you don't want to be left alone? I never understood what was so hard about saying "no thanks" to the few people that come up asking if you need help. It's a 5 second interaction. Even if it happens 10 times in a single visit, is it REALLY that bad?

Easy
04-11-12, 11:05 AM

Exactly. I don't frequently go to a store but I do buy from them online. More competition is always good.

fujishig
04-11-12, 11:21 AM
I just bought a 55" Samsung LED from them, it was the same price as Amazon and elsewhere on the interwebs. Oh and I bought the warranty too. :forumsheadexplodes:

:shrug: I like BB

Interesting... so even taking tax out of it, why did you buy from BB instead of Amazon if it was the same price anyway? Doesn't Amazon have free white glove shipping on big tvs (or is that only for Prime members)?

Timber
04-11-12, 11:21 AM
Interesting. So you want to be left alone unless you don't want to be left alone?

Why yes exactly. If I go to Target I don't have people stalking me throughout the store. Now their sales people don't generally know a thing but at least I'm not fending off attacks while I'm there. And no it's not REALLY that bad but it's bad enough that I'd prefer not to have to deal with it.

Goat3001
04-11-12, 11:42 AM
Interesting... so even taking tax out of it, why did you buy from BB instead of Amazon if it was the same price anyway? Doesn't Amazon have free white glove shipping on big tvs (or is that only for Prime members)?

I'd do the same thing. If I had to deal with a possible return or replacement, taking it back to a B&M is much easier.

Alan Smithee
04-11-12, 02:00 PM
You do realize that you're in the 1% of people that give a shit about what their slipcover looks like, right?

Well, since they keep saying the market for media in general is declining, if they want to keep selling any at all they're going to have to cater to people like me. The whole trend of un-sealed slipcovers is the WORST packaging trend I've ever seen. (And I never disliked the snapper cases, which some people refused to buy any title that came in that package.)

And you're also in the 1% that cares about what the back of the TV looks like? Best Buy caters to the masses. How do people not get this? If you want all the things you want then pay the higher price and go to a store that specializes in selling TV's.

I thought TVs WERE the main thing Best Buy specialized in. And 99% of people don't care about their TV having the right connections to hook their stuff up?

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-11-12, 02:01 PM
Why yes exactly. If I go to Target I don't have people stalking me throughout the store. Now their sales people don't generally know a thing but at least I'm not fending off attacks while I'm there. And no it's not REALLY that bad but it's bad enough that I'd prefer not to have to deal with it.

I'm the same way. Anytime anyone in any store asks me if I need help finding something, I tell them I'm just looking to get them to leave me alone, even if I am looking for something specific.

I like them to be visible if I actually do need something, but I'd really prefer they don't even speak to me unless I speak to them first.

Timber
04-11-12, 02:12 PM
I'm the same way. Anytime anyone in any store asks me if I need help finding something, I tell them I'm just looking to get them to leave me alone, even if I am looking for something specific.

I like them to be visible if I actually do need something, but I'd really prefer they don't even speak to me unless I speak to them first.

Exactly what I do as well. "No, I'm just looking."

Now my wife on the other hand is different. I went with her to BB a few weeks ago because she wanted an iPad case that she saw in the add. She actually went up and asked somebody over in that section if they had any in stock and where they would be. The guy looked at her like she was an alien, pointed in some general direction and said the cases are over there, if we have any that's where they'd be. They actually pay people for "expertise" like that?

Goat3001
04-11-12, 02:49 PM
Well, since they keep saying the market for media in general is declining, if they want to keep selling any at all they're going to have to cater to people like me. The whole trend of un-sealed slipcovers is the WORST packaging trend I've ever seen. (And I never disliked the snapper cases, which some people refused to buy any title that came in that package.)

No they don't. Catering to the 1% is never the way to run a business. Does it really make any sense for them to seal up their dvd cases for the 1 out of 100 that cares?

I thought TVs WERE the main thing Best Buy specialized in. And 99% of people don't care about their TV having the right connections to hook their stuff up?

And since when doesn't the little place card in the front of the TV tell you which connections the TV has? I bought a TV from BB recently, didn't look at the back, but needed 3 HDMI ports for my various stuff. Right there on the card it told me that the TV I was looking at had 3 slots.

Tarantino
04-11-12, 03:28 PM

You're a real charmer.

Timber
04-11-12, 03:34 PM
You're a real charmer.

Chances are he's going to find it quicker than the staff there so why even attempt it?

davidh777
04-11-12, 03:45 PM
Now my wife on the other hand is different. I went with her to BB a few weeks ago because she wanted an iPad case that she saw in the add. She actually went up and asked somebody over in that section if they had any in stock and where they would be. The guy looked at her like she was an alien, pointed in some general direction and said the cases are over there, if we have any that's where they'd be. They actually pay people for "expertise" like that?

I was once with a girl when she was shopping. She walked into the store, went straight to the front desk, and asked where ___ was. I myself always attempt to find it first, but I guess that's like a men-not-asking-for-directions thing.

Texan26
04-11-12, 03:46 PM
Word on the street is that this guy is next in line to take over as CEO:

http://i.imgur.com/whCMf.jpg

Shrink Stomper!!

fujishig
04-11-12, 03:57 PM
I was once with a girl when she was shopping. She walked into the store, went straight to the front desk, and asked where ___ was. I myself always attempt to find it first, but I guess that's like a men-not-asking-for-directions thing.

Was this at a Best Buy, or, for example, a clothing store? It may be more unfamiliarity with the product.

davidh777
04-11-12, 04:03 PM
Was this at a Best Buy, or, for example, a clothing store? It may be more unfamiliarity with the product.

Could be. It was a fabric store and she might not have shopped there a lot.

Chrisedge
04-11-12, 04:11 PM

I'd do the same thing. If I had to deal with a possible return or replacement, taking it back to a B&M is much easier.

Rewards Zone adds a little to the discount, 36 months no interest (I will use their money) and the warranty. If the set breaks, I get it fixed or replaced easily. I also wanted to pick it up myself. I didn't want it delivered.

Amazon is great for CD's, Books and DVD's. I would not buy a 55" TV from them.

Maxflier
04-11-12, 04:18 PM
Speaking of Best Buy, maybe one of you guys that work there can tell me what is up with the latest trend I have noticed. I will look up a particular DVD or CD online and verify that it is available in the store I want to go to and it is but when I get there it is nowhere to be found. So I check on a kiosk and it says to see a sales associate for assistance with that item. Is that a new way of forcing interaction between the customer and the associates or what? I am one of those people that don't want to be bothered because I know what I am looking for and where to find it in the store, and for the record I love Best Buy, but stuff like this is really annoying.

Maxflier
04-11-12, 04:31 PM
From everything I have heard, if the website says it's in-store that means there are 3+ on-hand. And the things I am usually looking for aren't any new releases or something that would sell all 3 in one day.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-11-12, 08:42 PM
You're a real charmer.

Look, if I'm looking at a major purchase, like a TV for example, chances are I'm going to have a question or two, but I still would rather browse by myself for a while and check things out without someone hovering over me.

And if I'm looking at Blu-rays or video games, I don't want or need your help. I am quite capable of browsing an alpabetized shelf by myself. Asking you to help me find it would be a waste of time (yours and mine).

If I need help, I will ask.

Goat3001
04-11-12, 08:51 PM
Doesn't justify giving a dickhead response to some teenager that's just trying to do his job.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-11-12, 08:52 PM
Doesn't justify giving a dickhead response to some teenager that's just trying to do his job.

How is "Thanks, I'm just looking" a dickhead response?

EDIT: Wait, I think the confusion might be coming from the lack of quotes in my original post. This is what I meant

I'm the same way. Anytime anyone in any store asks me if I need help finding something, I tell them "I'm just looking" to get them to leave me alone, even if I am looking for something specific.

Better?

Goat3001
04-11-12, 09:03 PM
:lol: yes. Sorry for the confusion.

Alan Smithee
04-12-12, 01:39 AM
Went out looking at TVs tonight. Went to Fry's first, though the store was overlit so I couldn't really judge picture quality, they had a Blu-Ray player out which they let me hook up to all the TVs I wanted to try out. All the TVs had their remotes available too. I talked to one salesguy for a while but the rest of the time nobody bugged me.

Went to Best Buy next. Not a single remote was out, had to ask a kid to go look for one that would control a Sony I wanted to look at. Didn't see any Blu-Ray or DVD players out, I asked if they would bring one out at least when I was ready to buy and the kid there said "I guess so." We got to talking about a few brands and I mentioned I wouldn't consider a Samsung because they're not PAL-compatible. I asked if he knew about PAL and NTSC and he said "No." He would have failed my job interview! (Some bimbo tried to sell me DirecTV too- she was too young to remember when MTV actually played music. To be fair someone at Fry's pushed it on me too, but they were more quick to agree that I wouldn't be happy with it.)

I'd definitely go out of my way to buy from Fry's given they had an infinitely better store setup. I'd buy from Best Buy if they had a model I wanted that Fry's didn't carry, but I'd feel at least a little bad about it.

Tarantino
04-12-12, 10:00 AM
I would have failed your job interview because he didn't know what PAL was. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Timber
04-12-12, 10:13 AM
If you're "selling" TV's though shouldn't you know that? Shouldn't you have even some basic knowledge? Not saying you should know details about every single TV but some general TV knowledge would be good I would think.

Goat3001
04-12-12, 10:32 AM
Went out looking at TVs tonight. Went to Fry's first, though the store was overlit so I couldn't really judge picture quality, they had a Blu-Ray player out which they let me hook up to all the TVs I wanted to try out. All the TVs had their remotes available too. I talked to one salesguy for a while but the rest of the time nobody bugged me.

Went to Best Buy next. Not a single remote was out, had to ask a kid to go look for one that would control a Sony I wanted to look at. Didn't see any Blu-Ray or DVD players out, I asked if they would bring one out at least when I was ready to buy and the kid there said "I guess so." We got to talking about a few brands and I mentioned I wouldn't consider a Samsung because they're not PAL-compatible. I asked if he knew about PAL and NTSC and he said "No." He would have failed my job interview! (Some bimbo tried to sell me DirecTV too- she was too young to remember when MTV actually played music. To be fair someone at Fry's pushed it on me too, but they were more quick to agree that I wouldn't be happy with it.)

I'd definitely go out of my way to buy from Fry's given they had an infinitely better store setup. I'd buy from Best Buy if they had a model I wanted that Fry's didn't carry, but I'd feel at least a little bad about it.

Question: Why did you feel the need to ask this kid working there about this? Obviously you're knowledgeable enough about what you're looking for that you didn't actually need his advice. Did you just find the need to ask to make him feel "dumb" so you can run and post about it on an internet forum?

The Cow
04-12-12, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't say that would fail a job interview at Best Buy. But if Best Buy did hire him to work in the TV department, they should train him to be knowledgeable about what he's selling. And I think that would be something to at least know a bit about.

Goat3001
04-12-12, 10:41 AM
If you're "selling" TV's though shouldn't you know that? Shouldn't you have even some basic knowledge? Not saying you should know details about every single TV but some general TV knowledge would be good I would think.

I wouldn't consider PAL and NTSC basic knowledge. I have no idea what they are either. Most people that walk into the store want to know if a TV is plasma/led/lcd or if the tv will hook up to their dvd/blu/video games. That's it.

And also the thing is that Best Buy hires teenagers for a reason. They're cheap labor. This helps keep the prices competitive.

Deftones
04-12-12, 03:33 PM
I would have failed your job interview because he didn't know what PAL was. :lol: :lol: :lol:

why is that funny? if you are selling a product you should know all the features of it. that's like a car salesperson not knowing how to explain the function (or non-function) of a feature on a car.

Josh-da-man
04-12-12, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't consider PAL and NTSC basic knowledge. I have no idea what they are either. Most people that walk into the store want to know if a TV is plasma/led/lcd or if the tv will hook up to their dvd/blu/video games. That's it.

PAL vs NTSC isn't really common knowledge at all. I'd wager that less than one in one thousand people even know what the terms refer to.

This is very specialized knowledge that is only going to matter to a small handful of collectors who are going to import media.

To 99.9% of the country, it's irrelevant.

JeffTheAlpaca
04-12-12, 03:55 PM
I hope they don't close the store in Milpitas, CA

I remember back in 2004 I would spend maybe 2 hours browsing their selection of DVDs and fantasizing about what big screen TV I wanted to own.

Pizza
04-12-12, 04:50 PM
Question: Why did you feel the need to ask this kid working there about this? Obviously you're knowledgeable enough about what you're looking for that you didn't actually need his advice. Did you just find the need to ask to make him feel "dumb" so you can run and post about it on an internet forum?
It sounds like he asked him because it came up in the conversation. Granted that some customers can be jerks but I've been hassled by bored sales help. I had 5 different sales people come up to me in TV at BB in less than three minutes. ( they were obviously having some fun with me.) I told them all I was fine and just looking. The last kid literally challenged me, though I don't know why. He really got in my face and said "so you know everything about all these TVs?" I kept asking him to leave me alone, to walk away. He wouldn't and scared the crap out of my wife who was standing next to me. So it goes both ways. Both customers and store employees can be jerks. The difference is the employees are earning a paycheck so I'm usually amazed when they get rude unless dealing with unreasonable customers and even then they should keep it professional.

Timber
04-12-12, 06:17 PM
Damn, got best buy'd again. Against my better judgement I order a Blu from them that Amazon has yet to price match. It's in stock for store pickup but not available for delivery. I place the order and 5 minutes later get an e-mail saying they are unable to locate the item in the store. So I guess they don't have an inventory system? Or they do have an inventory system but they still mark items as available even though they have very little listed in stock? Either way whatever they're doing sucks.

b2net
04-12-12, 06:23 PM
You should be able to call them... and get free shipping ...

Timber
04-12-12, 06:30 PM
Nope, not available for shipping but it is available at a store 30 minutes away (at least that's what their inventory shows) I guess I'll be driving over there tomorrow, if they actually do have it.

b2net
04-12-12, 06:33 PM
Anytime I have received the unable to locate in store email.. I have called them up and they offered to ship the item for free...

Timber
04-12-12, 06:41 PM
Anytime I have received the unable to locate in store email.. I have called them up and they offered to ship the item for free...

When I asked about shipping she said "let me check the website". The website shows it as not available for shipping. I guess there system is the same as the general public's system?

Maxflier
04-12-12, 06:48 PM
Nope, not available for shipping but it is available at a store 30 minutes away (at least that's what their inventory shows) I guess I'll be driving over there tomorrow, if they actually do have it.

Good luck with that. You will probably get there only to find no copies and the kiosk, instead of telling you if there are any there or not, will state the inventory status as "see a sales associate for assistance with this item".

IMO expecting an employee at a store like Best Buy or Wal Mart or anywhere like that to be knowlegable about PAL is a bit ridiculous.

Timber
04-12-12, 06:56 PM
IMO expecting an employee at a store like Best Buy or Wal Mart or anywhere like that to be knowlegable about PAL is a bit ridiculous.

If we're putting Best Buy in Wal Mart's category then yes I completely agree with you. However I thought Best Buy specialized in electronics, TVs being one of those specialties. If I go to Sears I expect someone trying to sell me a refrigerator to know about refrigerators, if I go to Home Depot I'd expect someone to be able to tell me what wood I should use to build a deck.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-12-12, 09:25 PM
They probably are stupid and can't find it. For some reason, the merchandising team did the picking for online orders, even when it was a media item. If they can't find it and don't feel like asking a media associate, they just mark it as not in stock and there's your email. I used to make them come to me for every in-store pickup from my department, to make sure the item was correct.

The last time I got an "unable to locate" notice after placing an in-store pickup order, I had to go to the store anyway for something else, so I just popped over to look at the video games, and I found a couple of copies of it right there on the shelf, properly alphabetized where it should be.

I'm convinced they never even looked for it. My order probably sent the available stock under 3, causing it to show out of stock on the website, so when they saw that, they sent the "unable to locate" notice.

The best part is, they still couldn't fulfill the order, because it had already been marked out of stock. I had to purchase it again using a website pricematch (it was a one day website sale), and then I had to go back home and cancel out the pickup order (It was still held open pending for me to call and possibly transfer the order to another store).

The Cow
04-14-12, 03:00 PM
Several of the Best Buy stores to be closed are listed at the bottom of this article:

Best Buy Confirms Closure Plans for Remaining 42 U.S. Big Box Stores (http://pr.bby.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=244152&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1683036&highlight=)

Alan Smithee
04-14-12, 04:21 PM
None in my area are closing. Went to another store a couple days ago in my search for a new TV, and not only were none of the remotes out where you could get to them, when a salesperson asked if I needed for help, he couldn't even FIND the fucking remote! GREAT way to get me to spend $2000 at your store, guys! Once again I got hit up for DirecTV too. He came up to me with his DirecTV polo shirt (I gotta get one of those) and said "So, who's your TV provider?" I answered "The airwaves- there may be nothing good on them, but at least I don't have to PAY for it so I have more money to spend on DISCS!" Did show some love to their media department by buying "The Green Hornet" 3D Blu-Ray for $16.99, which I'll watch on the 3D TV I'll most likely buy from Fry's.

Tarantino
04-14-12, 04:51 PM
Cool story, bro.

My Other Self
04-14-12, 05:18 PM
None in my area are closing.I'm surprised one of the stores here where I am is closing. There's no need to have 5 in the Sacramento area. I would've figure'd the Natomas store was gone since that whole area imploded when the real estate market crashed.

I saw the Pittsburg store and the Manteca store are closing, which would be the closest to here. I had to get a DVD from the Manteca store a couple of years ago and it's literally in the middle of nowhere. I was surprised there was even a store out that far. It kind of anchored the shopping "mall" it was in though so I wonder how that bodes for the other stores in the area.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-14-12, 06:30 PM
I'm surprised there are no locations in Michigan closing.

Tarantino
04-14-12, 07:52 PM
I saw the Pittsburg store and the Manteca store are closing, which would be the closest to here. I had to get a DVD from the Manteca store a couple of years ago and it's literally in the middle of nowhere. I was surprised there was even a store out that far. It kind of anchored the shopping "mall" it was in though so I wonder how that bodes for the other stores in the area.

The Manteca shopping center was a giant fail for that city. The anchor stores opened (JCPenny, Bass Pro Shop & a movie theater), but the smaller stores never opened. They overvalued the space and made it too expensive for any other shops to open. It was also right between the Modesto and Tracy Best Buys.

Kind of doomed from the beginning. It sucks because I know a lot of people that work at that store. I helped them their grand opening week. One of them just bought a house in that area about two months ago.

Brooklyn
04-15-12, 08:52 AM

Seriously, do you have to interject a smug comeback for everything?

I get that you work there, but the more you post, the more I realize you're pretty much a clone of 99% of the customer service staff I've had to deal with at Best Buy when trying to make something even as trivial as an exchange on a scratched out of the package DVD. Powertripping ego and actions that would lead you to believe they thought the company belonged to them and that you were slighting them personally for even thinking about coming up to the returns counter. ...And that's BEFORE all this nonsense of showing your license to do anything where it comes to returns/exchanges. That reminds me, I wonder how much that policy may have hurt them.

Brooklyn
04-15-12, 09:00 AM
They are closing the Back Bay store that just opened in 2008 :lol:

I heard it was built on an ancient indian Tower Records ;)

fumanstan
04-15-12, 09:29 AM
They're closing one of the stores by me in Tustin that just opened a couple years ago as well. I don't blame them, as there's another one just a mile down the street thats bigger and already popular.

Tarantino
04-15-12, 09:58 AM
Seriously, do you have to interject a smug comeback for everything?

Yes.

banthafett
04-15-12, 12:26 PM
Surprised none are closing here. We have 3 of them. One of them is dead everytime we go. Last two times we were at this one, the movie section was really thin, tons of empty spaces. I thought it would have been on the list.

As for the comments earlier- If a BB employee actually comes and asks anything. I usually say, "No thanks, found it" or " Just looking to see if anything odd pops out" (which has never happened at a BB lately, they carry the "safe" movies for the past 10 years. Now Media Play that was a whole other story). I usually say that if the person looks like he or she would be into non-mainstream stuff.

Now when its a Direct TV asshole, before they can even say "have you heard about", I tell them "I dont care". Is it rude and a dick move? Of course, but I dont give a shit. These are the same assholes who will get pissed off,even if youre nice and say , "no thanks". They are not trying to sell something that is new and no one has never heard of it. Its old shit, everyone knows. If I want it I would get on a phone and call for it. If your going to bug people and get pissed off if people dont want it (even being polite saying no) do it with something new.

Walmart were having these Direct Tv assholes set up a table in the movie section, at the end of the year last year. Didnt last long. Either it was to many complaints about them being jerks to everyone, or they gave up because they couldnt sell old shit.

ProfessorEcho
04-15-12, 04:24 PM
Yes.

Everytime you post you make it easier for me to have less sympathy over the potential failure of the entire company. Truly, is that your purpose here?

Deftones
04-15-12, 04:57 PM
The DirecTV people don't usually bug me when they ask me because I have their service. I had some asshole Cox lady who never remembers me and bugs me every time. I told her I would never switch from DirecTV due to the NFL Sunday ticket. She proceeds to tell me I could get it via streaming over the internet (which I know, but I have no desire for), I asked her how. She had no clue. I had to educate her on how it was done. If you are going to suggest an alternative for me to switch to your service, educate yourself so you can pitch the product.

Tarantino
04-15-12, 05:38 PM
Everytime you post you make it easier for me to have less sympathy over the potential failure of the entire company. Truly, is that your purpose here?

:lol: I'm sure my snarky replies towards one poster who apparently hates Best Buy but shops for TV's there anyway are swaying your opinion of the company I work for.

Most people on DVDTalk hate Best Buy...I get that. My posts not directed at Alan are not snarky, but I guess you're choosing to ignore those.

Brooklyn
04-16-12, 01:22 AM
You did it to me, and you did it to the poster above, so it's not just "one poster".
Whether you think you're funny, or putting it to someone you feel is a hypocrite, what you're actually coming across as is a condescending, piss poor representative of Best Buy, and one that echoes what most of those who are complaining about the store feel -- poor customer service and bothersome employees.

Josh-da-man
04-16-12, 02:11 AM
Maybe there's a reason everyone hates Best Buy?

It could have something do with their shit customer service, deceptive sales practices, poorly stocked stores, pushy employees...

Tarantino
04-16-12, 03:39 AM
Okay, have your fun and I'll bow out of this conversation if that's what you need. I'd never give any customer who came to me less than a great experience...I don't think my behavior on an Internet forum with you guys (some of you I've been barbing back and forth with for 10+ years) is any indication of what kind of employee I am at work, in the "real" world.

I don't want to see anyone out of work, and I'm sure none of you do either.

Timber
04-16-12, 08:58 AM
I don't want to see anyone out of work, and I'm sure none of you do either.

I don't think anyone wants to see BB close and those people to lose jobs. What most want is a better shopping experience that isn't all that difficult for the chain to do.

I like the idea of Best Buy but the actual implementation of Best Buy has just been bad over the last several years. Probably sometime around the store remodels things changed for the worst IMO.

mattysemo247
04-16-12, 09:32 AM
Several of the Best Buy stores to be closed are listed at the bottom of this article:

Best Buy Confirms Closure Plans for Remaining 42 U.S. Big Box Stores (http://pr.bby.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=244152&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1683036&highlight=)

The one that's only 2 miles from my house is closing :(

Overall I've had good experiences with that store. A couple years ago a bigger store right off the highway opened that gets most of the business now but I like going there because I felt like it had better selection, less traffic, and I never had any real issues finding the store exclusives. I had the same issues as others (Direct TV guys, clueless store employees from time to time, in store pick up problems, etc) but overall better than some of the other competing stores in the area (mainly KMart & Wal-Mart)

Goat3001
04-16-12, 09:46 AM
I don't think anyone wants to see BB close and those people to lose jobs. What most want is a better shopping experience that isn't all that difficult for the chain to do.

Actually, like most things, I think people just want to bitch about it on the internet.

I really don't like Gamestop. I have never enjoyed a single experience I've had there. So you know... I stopped going. A couple of months ago I just got tired of their shit, so I'm done.

Meanwhile here, you have a poster that has gone to three separate Best Buy's and comes back to this thread complaining about the same thing. If you're not happy with your shopping experience at Best Buy... why do people keep going?

Timber
04-16-12, 10:17 AM
why do people keep going?

Because everybody wants a deal. I didn't want to order my TV set from BB but it was the cheapest around so I ordered it hoping for the best. Didn't work out in my case but if a similar deal came up again I'd probably do it again and "hope for the best".

Goat3001
04-16-12, 10:24 AM
Because everybody wants a deal. I didn't want to order my TV set from BB but it was the cheapest around so I ordered it hoping for the best. Didn't work out in my case but if a similar deal came up again I'd probably do it again and "hope for the best".

Which is fair. But pretty much every store, including Amazon, has a price match policy. If you really hated Best Buy, as some here do, you'd find an alternative.

And the reason BB can keep their prices low is because of the level of employees they hire. Cheap labor keeps the prices low. However, you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to that.

Timber
04-16-12, 10:33 AM
Which is fair. But pretty much every store, including Amazon, has a price match policy. If you really hated Best Buy, as some here do, you'd find an alternative.

And the reason BB can keep their prices low is because of the level of employees they hire. Cheap labor keeps the prices low. However, you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to that.

Tried to PM Amazon and no go, and they never got around to it.

And I've found that trying to PM at a Target or Walmart is a lot more trouble than it's worth.

And again, I don't "hate" BB, it just used to be a lot better. Hell I had a rewardzone card and everything. Now instead of someplace I look forward to going it's someplace I try to avoid going to.

I just don't by the "to keep prices low" argument. There is this thing called training that costs very little to do. Target draws from the same employment pool and they somehow manage to get their people somewhat trained. On the other end though Walmart seems to pull their people off the street and just throw them on the floor.

fumanstan
04-16-12, 10:40 AM
I don't hate Best Buy, but in my case I still go there on occasion since I still enjoy seeing things before buying. Especially in the case of higher priced electronics, which is tough for me to buy on a whim online.

At the very least, Best Buy is a nice tool to use for shopping given the lack of other electronic stores out there now.

Deftones
04-16-12, 11:37 AM
You did it to me, and you did it to the poster above, so it's not just "one poster".
Whether you think you're funny, or putting it to someone you feel is a hypocrite, what you're actually coming across as is a condescending, piss poor representative of Best Buy, and one that echoes what most of those who are complaining about the store feel -- poor customer service and bothersome employees.

He did it to me, too, when I posted the link about his CEO getting some stank on his hang low. :wave:

Brian Shannon
04-16-12, 02:06 PM
I'd never give any customer who came to me less than a great experience.

Then you are one of a very, very, VERY tiny minority. Perhaps if more of your fellow employees felt as you do then the store would not be in such a bad way.

Most people on DVDTalk hate Best Buy...I get that.

That fact that there are similar threads on two other forums that I frequent suggests it has little to do with this forum.

Michael Corvin
04-16-12, 03:04 PM

That's no excuse for an employee not knowing the products they sell or what's in/or where to find an item in that week's ad. It's called pride and it doesn't cost Best Buy a penny for that. A good manager should be able to instill a little of it in all the employees at no cost to the company.

Overall I've had good experiences with that store.

On the whole I think I've had generally good experiences there. The negatives are being assaulted by the DirecTV reps and 30 minute customer service lines. Store pick-up is a joke. I can walk in the store, find the item and be back in my car in about 5-8 minutes. Store pick-up triples that, easy.

fumanstan
04-16-12, 03:28 PM
That's no excuse for an employee not knowing the products they sell or what's in/or where to find an item in that week's ad. It's called pride and it doesn't cost Best Buy a penny for that. A good manager should be able to instill a little of it in all the employees at no cost to the company.

I'd say if this were that easy, every single store out there, regardless of the merchandise they sell, would be like that. It's obviously not just a Best Buy problem, so it sounds like there just aren't enough managers and employees that would treat that job they way you wish they would.

Josh-da-man
04-16-12, 05:32 PM
Meanwhile here, you have a poster that has gone to three separate Best Buy's and comes back to this thread complaining about the same thing. If you're not happy with your shopping experience at Best Buy... why do people keep going?

Maybe because there aren't always a lot of other options available?

Where I live, there aren't a lot of choicesfor buying certain things. If I don't want to order something online, then it's either Wal-Mart, Target, or Best Buy. And Wal-Mart and Target don't exactly have the best selection of electronics. Circuit City is gone. Ultimate Electronics is gone. CompUSA is gone.

Goat3001
04-16-12, 08:30 PM
He said he went to Frys too. Clearly he had that option open. :shrug:

My Other Self
04-16-12, 09:22 PM
He said he went to Frys too. Clearly he had that option open. :shrug:Fry's is a cool store but they are almost always more expensive than any other retailer. They cater more to the niche entertainment enthusiast. The one thing I'll give them props for is their DVD/BD selection. It's unmatched this day and age.

fumanstan
04-16-12, 10:59 PM
Fry's is a cool store but they are almost always more expensive than any other retailer. They cater more to the niche entertainment enthusiast. The one thing I'll give them props for is their DVD/BD selection. It's unmatched this day and age.

I feel the opposite, Fry's advertised items to me have always felt cheaper then other stores (except against online retailers these days). The plasma TV I bought 4 years ago was cheaper there then Best Buy by hundreds of dollars, and the home theater system I picked up was actually $60 less then Amazon.

My Other Self
04-16-12, 11:39 PM
I feel the opposite, Fry's advertised items to me have always felt cheaper then other stores (except against online retailers these days). The plasma TV I bought 4 years ago was cheaper there then Best Buy by hundreds of dollars, and the home theater system I picked up was actually $60 less then Amazon.I don't buy many expensive electronics these days (I bought my LCD HDTV from Walmart), but overall I've found them to be overpriced. When I was shopping for a laptop last year I couldn't find anything worthwhile with decent specs in my range there. I ended up finding one I liked, but it was about $200 more than a nearly-identical model with a better processor at Best Buy.

I like walking around and looking around in there, but it's not the first place I'd go to for a big-ticket item.

TheKing
04-17-12, 12:03 AM
Well, Attack Of The Show revealed the full list of closures, and here's the list at Best Buy's PR site.

Best Buy stores closing (http://pr.bby.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=244152&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1683036&highlight=)

The stores are expected to close by May 12th.

I'm kind of surprised they're closing the newer of two stores in Tustin, as it would seem to be in a better shopping center than the other. One of them was a prime candidate to close as they were closer than any other pair of Best Buy locations in So Cal.

The other location in Tustin I remember well from a near riot I was in the middle of for Black Friday 2007. The shopping center wouldn't allow people to line up at the Best Buy until midnight, which of course led to people just milling around the streets waiting until then to charge toward the doors. After I lost my shoe during the rush, I decided my best course of action was to try a different store. I ended up at Target in the same shopping center as the Best Buy that is now being closed.

Ahhhh memories.

As for Fry's, they are a supermarket for electronics. It's really the only place left if you like building your own computers. They don't have the greatest everyday prices, especially when compared to online stores, but their sale prices can be spectacular. Selection is something that is underrated these days, when you can find anything online, but if you don't want to wait, Fry's probably has it.

I wouldn't say Fry's caters to a niche, they carry everything when it comes to tech.

My Other Self
04-17-12, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't say Fry's caters to a niche, they carry everything when it comes to tech.Niche may have been the wrong word, but I don't know anybody besides myself and one other friend of mine that go there on a regular basis. Most people are in the Walmart/Target crowd for electronics if Best Buy doesn't cut it for them.

Lastdaysofrain
04-17-12, 07:01 AM
I'm not surprised by the Newbury St Store in Boston. They have another store a mile away near Fenway and that location used to be a Virgin Mega Store and before that Tower Records, Best Buy was kind of a sorry replacement. I think a Target would probably make a ridiculous amount of money in that spot given all the colleges near by.

fumanstan
04-17-12, 08:00 AM
I don't buy many expensive electronics these days (I bought my LCD HDTV from Walmart), but overall I've found them to be overpriced. When I was shopping for a laptop last year I couldn't find anything worthwhile with decent specs in my range there. I ended up finding one I liked, but it was about $200 more than a nearly-identical model with a better processor at Best Buy.

I like walking around and looking around in there, but it's not the first place I'd go to for a big-ticket item.

I don't know, like I said when an item is an advertised sale it's typically cheaper for me, whether it be computer parts like RAM and hard drives, DVD's and Blu-rays, TV's, home audio stuff :shrug:

I'm kind of surprised they're closing the newer of two stores in Tustin, as it would seem to be in a better shopping center than the other. One of them was a prime candidate to close as they were closer than any other pair of Best Buy locations in So Cal.

I'm not, that shopping center sucks and stores there keep on closing.

drmar35mm
04-26-12, 04:28 PM
I was just in the BB store literally a two minute drive from the corporate HQ in Richfield, MN. Looked like the changes were beginning. Especially notable: The former musical instrument department had vanished, hidden beneath a giant sheet of plastic. The coming soon sign said something about a big Magnolia high end shop coming. Much as I enjoy plunking on guitars, musical instruments made no sense for BB.

Michael T Hudson
04-26-12, 08:36 PM
I have 4 within about 15 miles from me. One is closing. The building must be cursed it was an Ultimate Electronics before Best Buy took it over. It sucks to see people out of work but at least here in town options were given for them to relocate to other stores.

My Other Self
04-26-12, 09:28 PM
I was just in the BB store literally a two minute drive from the corporate HQ in Richfield, MN. Looked like the changes were beginning. Especially notable: The former musical instrument department had vanished, hidden beneath a giant sheet of plastic. The coming soon sign said something about a big Magnolia high end shop coming. Much as I enjoy plunking on guitars, musical instruments made no sense for BB.The Magnolia shops are at at least one of the locations by me. They've been there for years. I'm surprised one that close to the corporate HQ doesn't have it yet.

fumanstan
04-26-12, 10:09 PM
They sent me a $10 off coupon for anything at Best Buy since a store by me is closing. Doesn't seem to be any restrictions either.

UAIOE
04-28-12, 01:57 AM
Much as I enjoy plunking on guitars, musical instruments made no sense for BB.

And the fitness/exercise stuff inside a BB does?

TheBang
05-09-12, 08:13 PM
From another thread, the store closing list:

This is a link - the list of Best Buy stores closing.... clicky (http://money.cnn.com/news/companies/storysupplement/best-buy-store-closings/).

Some of the remaining store are to be downsized by 20%. The test stores are in St. Paul, Minnesota; San Antonio, Texas and Minneapolis. They also plan on opening "Connected Stores" where they will only sell mobile phones (and accessories), tablet computers and e-readers.

My Other Self
05-09-12, 10:11 PM
How can they downsize a store that they're leasing? They're going to spend even more money remodeling already existing outlets?

Draven
05-10-12, 12:14 AM
The Magnolia shops are at at least one of the locations by me. They've been there for years. I'm surprised one that close to the corporate HQ doesn't have it yet.

That store did have one. Haven't been in since construction started but it sounds like they are just making the Mangnolia section bigger.

orangecrush
05-18-12, 12:31 PM
Too bad to see that Omaha store closing. The guy who handled my video game trades was super cool. It is kind of a weird location though. You have to try kind of hard to get there.

Josh-da-man
08-10-12, 05:52 AM
Would Richard Schulze's New Strategy Make Best Buy More Like Apple? (http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2012/08/09/would-richard-schulzes-new-strategy-make-best-buy-more-like-apple/)

According to the Wall Street Journal, part of Best Buy (NYSE: BBY) founder Richard Shulze’s turnaround plan is to compete with Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) on customer service. Shulze has offered to take the struggling retailer private at between $24 and $26 per share. Currently, BBY is trading at just under $20. The proposal is informal, and many on Wall Street are skeptical that he could obtain the necessary financing to buy the company. If Schulze is successful in his bid, it would be the largest go-private deal since the financial crisis.

The Journal is reporting that potential partners in the deal could include private equity firms Apollo Global Management, KKR & Co., Leonard Green & Partners and TPG Capital, among others. Mr. Schulze indicated as much when he said that he has had discussions with “leading private-equity firms,” about the potential transaction, but he did not mention any specific names.

Currently, the Best Buy founder owns one fifth of the company, but he no longer has an official role with the company after relinquishing his chairmanship in June. What is interesting about Mr. Schulze’s plans for the company is that they are in direct opposition to those of the current management team. Best Buy has been struggling with very weak top-line growth in recent years, and the this has taken a toll on the share price.

The stock has lost more than 54 percent of its value over the last five years as the company’s business model has come under scrutiny from investors. Rather than supporting Best Buy’s current strategy of cutting costs and downsizing the business, Schulze’s plan calls for the company to cut prices while avoiding major cost-cutting. According to the Journal’s report, Schulze believes that the current downsizing plans could put the company out of business.

He thinks that in order to compete with the likes of Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL), Best Buy will have to improve its value proposition in the eyes of consumers, and that means lower prices and premium service. Of course, this strategy could be costly in the near-term, and may never work out.

What seems certain is that Schulze’s ideas for the company would be nearly impossible to implement if Best Buy stays a public company. Not only does management appear to disagree with the founder, but it is unlikely shareholders would tolerate such a risky plan that would surely be unprofitable in the near-term.

It seems as if Best Buy will continue to aggressively cut costs as the battle for the company plays out. According to a Wall Street Journal source, the company will announce in the coming weeks that it plans to cut costs even more by selling space in excess of 1 million square feet and closing more stores than the 50 it has already announced.

The company’s board of directors has told Mr. Schulze that it wants to wait until after its earnings announcement on August 21 to revisit the proposal. Meanwhile, the details of a potential deal such as partners nad financing will have to be ironed out before the market actually takes the offer seriously.

While Mr Schulze’s bankers at Credit Suisse (NYSE: CS) said that they are “highly confident” that they can secure $7 billion in funding for the transaction through debt, Schulze and his potential partners would still have to come up with around $3 billion in cash.

Will they be able to turn it around, or is this the beginning of the end?

Timber
08-10-12, 08:34 AM
Website integration and true inventory control I think should be the first step in any plan for the future.

kd5
08-10-12, 09:08 PM
I like Schulze’s idea of lower prices and premium service, few companies in this country realize that if they just lowered their prices a little and treated customers like real human beings instead of excrement, more people would be inclined to buy from them. Best Buy's prices on the software that goes into the hardware they sell was much higher than it needed to be. I for one was always more inclined to buy DVDs elsewhere because I could always get them cheaper somewhere else (unless they had a sale going or something). By the same token I never liked their price-matching unless of course they would want to add another 10% off to the price match. If I wanted to pay the same amount of money that I could have picked it up for at another store, I'd have just bought it at the other store. Give me an incentive to buy it there! Of course investors aren't going to like that idea because they think like all the other business people in this country, that it has to have a high price tag on it in order for them to make any money. What they don't realize is that the higher they jack the prices, the fewer people will be inclined to buy.

Just my humble opinion, -kd5-

DouglasRobert
08-10-12, 11:57 PM
I don't know if this is a glitch or what but I was just on their site and did a store locator and at least three stores near me aren't listed on their site anymore.

Gone are stores in Joliet, Bolingbrook and Downers Grove IL..

I hope that this is just a glitch and not an indication that they just closed the stores unannounced.

Getting to the general topic of Best Buy, if I was them I would get rid of the major appliances section.

PhantomStranger
08-11-12, 12:04 AM
Getting to the general topic of Best Buy, if I was them I would get rid of the major appliances section.
That's practically the only section that turns a profit for them anymore.

bunkaroo
08-13-12, 08:36 AM
I don't know if this is a glitch or what but I was just on their site and did a store locator and at least three stores near me aren't listed on their site anymore.

Gone are stores in Joliet, Bolingbrook and Downers Grove IL..

I hope that this is just a glitch and not an indication that they just closed the stores unannounced.

Which DG stores? Can't see it being the Butterfield one since that's pretty much always been one of their flagship stores. I wouldn't be surprised if they closed Bolingbrook since it never seems that busy. Don't know about the Joliet one.

fujishig
08-13-12, 11:41 AM
I like Schulze’s idea of lower prices and premium service, few companies in this country realize that if they just lowered their prices a little and treated customers like real human beings instead of excrement, more people would be inclined to buy from them. Best Buy's prices on the software that goes into the hardware they sell was much higher than it needed to be. I for one was always more inclined to buy DVDs elsewhere because I could always get them cheaper somewhere else (unless they had a sale going or something). By the same token I never liked their price-matching unless of course they would want to add another 10% off to the price match. If I wanted to pay the same amount of money that I could have picked it up for at another store, I'd have just bought it at the other store. Give me an incentive to buy it there! Of course investors aren't going to like that idea because they think like all the other business people in this country, that it has to have a high price tag on it in order for them to make any money. What they don't realize is that the higher they jack the prices, the fewer people will be inclined to buy.

Just my humble opinion, -kd5-

I thought a lot of that "loss leader" pricing on DVDs meant that they made very little if anything (maybe even a loss, per the name) on the deep 1st week sales, and that they're meant to get people in the stores. So if they just cut prices and you went and bought just those DVDs there, that's not helping the business at all.

PhantomStranger
08-13-12, 11:58 AM
I thought a lot of that "loss leader" pricing on DVDs meant that they made very little if anything (maybe even a loss, per the name) on the deep 1st week sales, and that they're meant to get people in the stores. So if they just cut prices and you went and bought just those DVDs there, that's not helping the business at all.
But it was the only thing that ever drove foot traffic to Best Buy. There are very strong correlations between the total number of people walking in the door and actual sales.

LJG765
08-13-12, 02:07 PM
I have to agree with the idea of putting money into service. And they should also put money into their employees as well to get that service. Having worked retail for years, companies refuse to pay people what they are worth or treat them like decent human beings. There is no incentive to put your full ability into a job and even the most devoted employee will eventually not care if they don't get time off, decent pay and respect. As a customer, I'll go out of my way to go to stores with great customer service and people who know their stuff. Best Buy has not been a go to store for this for years. Unfortunately, in my area, there are few places to get electronics anymore so I find myself still having to go there, but my purchases have definitely gone down.

I really wish, like others, that corporations would remember basic business principles. The higher the price, the less you sell. You may make more on one item, but in the long run you'll make more by selling more at a lesser price. And by putting money into your employees, you're putting money into your customers and getting them to feel like the store is encouraging them to shop there rather than putting up with them. The happier the shopper, the more they spend.

davidh777
08-20-12, 11:13 AM
I have to agree with the idea of putting money into service. And they should also put money into their employees as well to get that service. Having worked retail for years, companies refuse to pay people what they are worth or treat them like decent human beings. There is no incentive to put your full ability into a job and even the most devoted employee will eventually not care if they don't get time off, decent pay and respect. As a customer, I'll go out of my way to go to stores with great customer service and people who know their stuff. Best Buy has not been a go to store for this for years. Unfortunately, in my area, there are few places to get electronics anymore so I find myself still having to go there, but my purchases have definitely gone down.

I really wish, like others, that corporations would remember basic business principles. The higher the price, the less you sell. You may make more on one item, but in the long run you'll make more by selling more at a lesser price. And by putting money into your employees, you're putting money into your customers and getting them to feel like the store is encouraging them to shop there rather than putting up with them. The happier the shopper, the more they spend.

:clap: Unfortunately, people are not valued any more. Just the way it is with a big company.

In other news:

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20120820&id=15466132

Best Buy hires Joly as new CEO
August 20, 2012 8:25 AM ET.

By ANNE D'INNOCENZIO

NEW YORK (AP) - Best Buy Co. has tapped Hubert Joly, the former head of global hospitality company Carlson and turnaround expert, as the nation's largest consumer electronics chain's new CEO and president.

The announcement, made Monday, comes after the ailing retailer said Sunday that its offer to advance talks with company co-founder Richard Schulze on his takeover bid was rejected.

Best Buy says Joly, who is French, is expected to take over as CEO in early September when his visa is secured. Carlson, which operates such businesses as Radisson and T.G.I Friday's, announced Sunday that Joly resigned from that company.

Shares were down more than 4 percent in premarket trading as investors realized that a major overhaul to make Best Buy more nimble in a rapidly shifting climate probably won't happen until next year when the CEO gets more settled. Investors are hoping to learn more of Best Buy's plan to turn around its business Tuesday when it reports its second-quarter financial results.

Investors may have also been disappointed that Best Buy didn't pick a retail executive.

"Joly is a rogue agent," said Brian Sozzi, analyst at research firm NBG Productions. "He comes in and fixes companies and then leaves." He added that investors won't learn of a new turnaround plan until after the holiday season.

Joly succeeds Mike Mikan, a board member who has served as interim CEO since April when former CEO Brian Dunn left Best Buy because of what the company called an improper relationship with an employee.

"Hubert was an outstanding candidate for this position and I am confident he will be a great fit for Best Buy," Hatim Tyabji, chairman of Best Buy's board, said in a statement. "Hubert's range and depth of experience in transforming companies is exactly what the company needs at the moment, as is his energetic, imaginative and experienced leadership in executing strategies."

Over the past 15 years, Joly has developed a track record of successful turnarounds and growth in the media, technology and service sectors, Best Buy said.

In the media sector, Joly led the restructuring and growth of Vivendi's video game's business, now part of Activision Blizzard, from 1999 to 2001. He later oversaw the integration of Universal and Vivendi's media assets in the U.S. and was then part of the team that led the restructuring of Vivendi in 2002 to 2004.

In the technology sector, Joly spearheaded the turnaround of EDS, now part of HP, in France from 1996 to 1999. In the service sector, he has led the transformation of Carslon Wagonlit Travel into the global leader in corporate travel management. In 2008, he became the CEO of CWT's parent, Carlson, based in Minneapolis, whose brands employ more than 170,000 people in 150 countries.

As CEO of Carlson, Joly spearheaded a strategy to bolster the company's leadership position across its businesses, including its restaurant division with more than 900 T.G.I. Friday's restaurants and its hotel division with more than 1,000 hotels around the world.

Best Buy is trying to avoid the fate of its rival Circuit City, which went bankrupt in 2009, partly because of changing shopper habits.

Best Buy has been shrinking store size and focusing on its more-profitable products such as mobile phones. It's also trying to combat the so-called "showrooming" of its stores — when people browse at Best Buy but purchase electronics goods elsewhere, especially online.

In March, it announced a major restructuring that includes closing 50 stores, cutting 400 corporate jobs and trimming $800 million in costs.

Dunn left in April amid an investigation that he had an improper relationship with a 29-year-old female employee. Since that departure, interim Mikan has made strong statements about how he plans to restructure the company, focusing on services and revamping stores.

In early July, Best Buy said it would lay off 600 staffers in its Geek Squad technical support division and 1,800 other store workers.

Earlier this month, Schulze, Best Buy's largest shareholder with a 20 percent stake, made a takeover offer for the chain, offering $24 to $26 per share. Best Buy said it was considering the offer, which values the company at $8.84 billion.

Schulze said Thursday that he was committed to his offer for the electronics retailer and has heard from a number of private equity firms prepared to make "significant commitments."

But Best Buy and Schulze went back and forth in public announcements over the weekend.

According to Best Buy's statement Sunday, it spelled out certain terms for acquisition talks to proceed. They included a 60-day deadline for the founder to bring forward a fully financed proposal.

"The board showed great flexibility in the details around how an agreement with Mr. Schulze could be implemented so as not to limit his ability to make a definitive proposal for the company that was in the best interest of the shareholders," according to Sunday's statement from Best Buy. "Mr. Schulze did not accept the company proposal."

In response, Schulze issued his own statement: "I am disappointed and surprised by the Best Buy Board's abrupt termination of our discussions. For the record, we engaged in good-faith negotiations with Best Buy's Board and its advisors over the weekend and expected to conclude this matter before the company's earnings announcement early this week."

Best Buy shares slipped 87 cents to $19.40 in premarket trading after closing at $20.27 on Friday. During the past 52 weeks, shares have been trading between $16.97 and $28.53.

fujishig
08-21-12, 10:51 AM
91% is quite a drop in profits...

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-best-buy-earnings-20120821,0,3651703.story

On Tuesday, the company said its net income in its second quarter, which ended Aug. 4, slid 91% to $12 million, or 4 cents a share, from $128 million, or 34 cents a share, during the same period last year.

Revenue dropped 3% to $10.5 billion. The company’s stock sank to nine-year lows, plummeting as far as $16.23 a share in morning trading after closing at $18.16 a share on Monday.

Deftones
08-21-12, 11:52 AM
To be fair, they took a huge write off (something like $90+ million) for closing stores, so their profit would've been not that far off from last year.

fujishig
08-21-12, 12:52 PM
To be fair, they took a huge write off (something like $90+ million) for closing stores, so their profit would've been not that far off from last year.

That's part of the restructuring charges, right? So still over a 40% drop, especially from analyst's estimates.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-21/best-buy-suspends-profit-forecast-as-net-income-falls

Net income fell 91 percent to $12 million, or 4 cents a share, from $128 million, or 34 cents, a year earlier, the Richfield, Minnesota-based company said today in a statement. Excluding restructuring charges and other items, profit was 20 cents a share. Analysts’ average estimate was 31 cents.

Mattflix
08-22-12, 02:23 PM
I'm late to the discussion but some thoughts from my personal experience. I used to be there at Best Buy every Tuesday for new releases on DVD, and I was at the point where I'd gotten the gold Rewards card for having spent such a ridiculous amount of money at Best Buy.

The atmosphere just changed and I felt like an asset rather than a valued customer. I kept hearing stories of them refusing warranty coverages for any excuse, etc. You could tell that they crunched their numbers and decided it was more cost-effective to visibly take as much money as possible.

Earlier this year we were shopping around for a new TV, and the one we liked was priced exactly the same at Best Buy and two other stores. So we asked the salesperson why should we buy here. He responded with a snarky smile "Because you're already in this store!" That may be the overall strategy that they have, but that's not something you should repeat to the customer. We went to a different store just on principal.

Shannon Nutt
08-22-12, 04:24 PM
Earlier this year we were shopping around for a new TV, and the one we liked was priced exactly the same at Best Buy and two other stores. So we asked the salesperson why should we buy here. He responded with a snarky smile "Because you're already in this store!" That may be the overall strategy that they have, but that's not something you should repeat to the customer. We went to a different store just on principal.

I stopped buying high-ticket items at BB about six or seven years ago. Had a bad experience with a TV (they delivered the wrong one and then a misfunctioning one - costing me two days off work - before they got it right), and then the final straw was when they REFUSED to sell me a computer without opening the box and loading their software onto it. I took my business elsewhere (Amazon, actually) and never have returned, with the exception of Blu-ray exclusives which I still get from time to time (Jaws, the upcoming E.T., etc.).

Tarantino
08-23-12, 12:50 PM
That's practically the only section that turns a profit for them anymore.

That statement isn't correct at all.

Matthew Chmiel
08-23-12, 05:43 PM
Yeah, Best Buy should just repeat the same strategy that sent Circuit City under! :thumbsup:

If I was Best Buy, first thing I would do would be to revamp the Geek Squad. Here's what I would do:

Go back to customer service.
Hire actual, trained technicians... and pay them like they should.
Pay for technicians or current Geek Squad employees to get certified in various software and hardware repairs.
Most repairs would be done in-house. Under rare circumstances, those would then be shipped to whomever Best Buy ships them to.
When parts are not in-stock (i.e. laptop batteries, chargers, etc.), expedite the shipping on them rather than have the customer wait two-to-three weeks. In fact, offer to ship the product to the customer's house.
Make specific Best Buy locations, based upon sales volume, Apple Authorized Service Providers.
Partner with specific hardware smartphone and tablet manufactures to have warranty replacements on stock.

Yes, there'd be massive upfront costs. However, it would be worth it. Here's why:

If you ask me where to get my Apple products fixed, I'd answer back either the Apple store or the few Apple Authorized Service Providers in my area.

If you ask me where I could get my wife's Sony Vaio fixed, I'd have no idea. If you were to make Best Buy a credible and trustworthy place to get your computer fixed rather than a scam market, you'd see an increase in computer sales right away.

UAIOE
08-23-12, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure why BB is going to suddenly hire expert people when Circuit City couldn't even bother to keep theirs.

The sad thing is, I was saying that BB should turn more customer focused 10+ years ago...when they were still doing great.

But nobody wants to listen when you can maximize even more profits.

Josh-da-man
08-27-12, 03:58 AM
I'm not sure why BB is going to suddenly hire expert people when Circuit City couldn't even bother to keep theirs.

Because they only want to hire a bunch of part-time workers at miminum wage to wear blue shirts to push extended warranties.

From the corporate perspective, they can't understand how the people at the bottom of the food chain are anything but interchangeable. It's like a restaurant not knowing the difference between a knowledgeable waiter and a busboy who picks up dishes. (Welcome to Applebee's!)

kd5
08-27-12, 06:26 AM

Perhaps. But I fall back on my sincere belief that if Best Buy would have just lowered prices on their DVDs (to name one product) to be competitive with the likes of WalMart, Target, and Amazon, more people would have purchased from them. As it is, their pricing is more in line with Barnes & Noble and Borders, and I wouldn't pay regular price at either of those places.....ever. I could almost ALWAYS get DVDs cheaper elsewhere, so how is that helping Best Buy's business if the only time I ever buy DVDs there is when they're on some fabulous sale? -kd5-

UAIOE
08-27-12, 10:47 PM
Because they only want to hire a bunch of part-time workers at miminum wage to wear blue shirts to push extended warranties.

I know this. I remember being told I should sell $800 worth of CD storage *an hour* all while making a measly $6.50. If I'm gonna bust my butt to make these ludicrous goals, I need more motivation than hearing the phrase "well, it's your job" followed by some shit eating grin.

Matthew Chmiel
08-28-12, 08:32 PM
... and that's why nobody shops at Best Buy and why it's become a glorified Amazon showroom. Best Buy needs to change its mentality and focus on both its internal and external customers before they shut down the doors once and for all. It might cost them a lot of money and might cost a lot of staff members their jobs to bring in higher quality people at a higher pay-rate. However, the return on investment would be worth it.

The latest survey/report from The NPD Group (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/8/prweb9843568.htm) shows that 60% of customers who make an appointment at an Apple Store's Genius Bar are likely to return to purchase an Apple product. Apple has always puts its customers first and there has always been a return on investment. Just look at their dedicated and loyal fan base. If not that, look at the Microsoft Store. They pretty much took Apple's retail playbook and ran with it. I've never been inside a Microsoft Store, but the reviews on Yelp from all of the various locations are all glowing unlike that of a Best Buy.

I hate Fry's, but I'd rather shop there than a Best Buy. Yeah, a lot of Fry's staff works on commission and most of their employees are trying to upsell you despite knowing nothing about the products. However, you can't beat the quantity of products they have under one roof and their pricing (in a retail setting). Hell, they even price match Amazon and Newegg. If you can't wait for a product to be shipped and mailed to you, Fry's is the way to go. If Best Buy was more like Fry's, it would be a better experience than what Best Buy currently offers.

Alan Smithee
08-29-12, 11:39 AM
Best Buy stores don't have the space Fry's stores have, but point taken. I may have mentioned this before, but when looking for a new TV I spent the most time at Fry's because they had their TVs where you could get to the backs of them and they had the remotes out- I tested out many with a Blu-Ray player and antenna which they didn't mind me moving around. Best Buy had all their TVs on the walls so you couldn't see the backs, and the remotes weren't out, and forget about seeing anything other than their store demo feed on them. Best Buy had a better price on the TV I ended up getting, but I got Fry's to price-match just because they had the better shopping experience and they deserved my money a lot more.

bunkaroo
08-29-12, 02:00 PM
I remember when BB basically raised all DVD prices $3. $20 list prices went from selling for $14.99 to $17.99. $25 list prices went from $19.99 to $22.99. And so forth. That's pretty much when I stopped even considering them for impulse purchases and only went there when they had the lowest price on something.

They did it to themselves.

Brian Shannon
08-29-12, 06:41 PM
I remember when BB basically raised all DVD prices $3. $20 list prices went from selling for $14.99 to $17.99. $25 list prices went from $19.99 to $22.99. And so forth. That's pretty much when I stopped even considering them for impulse purchases and only went there when they had the lowest price on something.

They did it to themselves.

So you mean they are not a "Best Buy"? :D

They mock themselves every time they advertise

UAIOE
08-31-12, 11:30 AM
... and that's why nobody shops at Best Buy and why it's become a glorified Amazon showroom. Best Buy needs to change its mentality and focus on both its internal and external customers before they shut down the doors once and for all. It might cost them a lot of money and might cost a lot of staff members their jobs to bring in higher quality people at a higher pay-rate. However, the return on investment would be worth it.

They have had many years of "too big to fail" that only a swift about-face will make that change happen. The reality is, they might make changes, but either be too slow or half-ass it.

davidh777
09-07-12, 01:03 AM
There's a new BB Mobile just three blocks away from their big store. Kind of interesting.

Deftones
09-26-12, 02:23 PM
I just went in there and had a frustrating experience. The Dark Knight Returns pt. 1 is out yesterday. Wanted the blu ray copy. Nothing in sight. I ask the guy, who looks it up and said they don't have any. I ask him if they ever got any. He doesn't know. I then ask why is it in the ad if they can't or won't get copies in. WTF. I know this is way above the guy's head, but it's silly that they don't have stock on something that was in their ad.

Mr. Cinema
09-26-12, 03:10 PM
I still enjoy browsing Best Buy and they still are pretty good on BD sales. However, the thing that is pissing me off lately is the fucking DirecTV reps in there. Every damn time I go in to look at the movie section, I have to deal with these bastards. I have DirecTV and love it, but I get sick and tired of having to deal with them each time I visit a store.

I know it's their job to sell the packages to customers, but leave me the fuck alone. I've gotten more rude with them lately. Now I just wave them off before they get a chance to say "have you heard about the promo Best Buy and DirecTV are running? sales pitch.

sleepyhead55
09-26-12, 03:19 PM
I just went in there and had a frustrating experience. The Dark Knight Returns pt. 1 is out yesterday. Wanted the blu ray copy. Nothing in sight. I ask the guy, who looks it up and said they don't have any. I ask him if they ever got any. He doesn't know. I then ask why is it in the ad if they can't or won't get copies in. WTF. I know this is way above the guy's head, but it's silly that they don't have stock on something that was in their ad.

I almost always have that problem at my best buy where they say something is in stock then I go there and it isn't there. To compound this, there is almost no one around, so I have to go searching for another associate to go look for this stuff.

It can't be that hard to update their inventory system, can it?

Deftones
09-26-12, 03:24 PM
Spectacular. Just got my email confirmation to come pick up the blu ray. :lol:

So the idiots at customer service apparently can find the item, but the idiots who actually work in media (spoke to 2 of them) couldn't find it in store and said they had no inventory. rotfl

Alan Smithee
09-26-12, 05:17 PM
However, the thing that is pissing me off lately is the fucking DirecTV reps in there. Every damn time I go in to look at the movie section, I have to deal with these bastards. I have DirecTV and love it, but I get sick and tired of having to deal with them each time I visit a store.

I got one of them a couple days ago- I told him every time they talk to me, I ask them to find even ONE channel that I'd want to pay for, and they can't. What do you "love" about DirecTV? My girlfriend has it and I was impressed that the HBO and Cinemax channels show movies with no bugs, interruptions or breaking into end credits, but all the 2.35 movies were cropped so that's still a fail in my book. I keep telling these sales zombies I might consider if MTV at least went back to playing music. They usually laugh at that.

BTW I was in there for the 3D Blus of Thor and Captain America on sale, but I didn't buy them because they all had price tags stuck to the unsealed slipcovers, and I couldn't remove any of them without leaving some kind of damage. Went to Fry's and got them for the same price there (they care enough to put the price tags on the sealed case UNDER the slipcover), along with a couple other 3D discs :)

UAIOE
09-26-12, 10:34 PM
So the idiots at customer service apparently can find the item, but the idiots who actually work in media (spoke to 2 of them) couldn't find it in store and said they had no inventory. rotfl

I thought the Media department peoples were outsourced to some other company?

Brooklyn
09-27-12, 01:29 AM

This exact scenario played out for the guy next to me while I was at my local Best Buy on Tuesday. DVD copies, empty blu slot.

b2net
09-27-12, 09:56 AM
My local BB just re-arranged the media section into categories.. and now the Blu-rays and DVDs are in the same sections side by side.. it makes looking through take much longer.. and is very annoying.. I like it better when there are no categories.. and DVDs and Blu-rays are not together.. I don't mind TV series or sets being separated.. but this is r i d i culous... my store browsing days will be limited by this stupid move..

Timber
09-27-12, 10:11 AM
My local BB just re-arranged the media section into categories.. and now the Blu-rays and DVDs are in the same sections side by side.. it makes looking through take much longer.. and is very annoying.. I like it better when there are no categories.. and DVDs and Blu-rays are not together.. I don't mind TV series or sets being separated.. but this is r i d i culous... my store browsing days will be limited by this stupid move..

Sounding more and more like Circuit City. Now you have to figure out what category they decide a movie goes in and how they choose to alphabetize it. Soon they'll all be spine out to save even more space.

Groucho
09-27-12, 10:26 AM
All the BB's around here have ALWAYS had their DVDs and Blu-Rays divided into categories.

I just went in there and had a frustrating experience. The Dark Knight Returns pt. 1 is out yesterday. Wanted the blu ray copy. Nothing in sight. I ask the guy, who looks it up and said they don't have any. I ask him if they ever got any. He doesn't know. I then ask why is it in the ad if they can't or won't get copies in. WTF. I know this is way above the guy's head, but it's silly that they don't have stock on something that was in their ad.Wow, they really are turning into Circuit City.

Oliver Clothesoff
09-27-12, 12:23 PM
I still enjoy browsing Best Buy and they still are pretty good on BD sales. However, the thing that is pissing me off lately is the fucking DirecTV reps in there. Every damn time I go in to look at the movie section, I have to deal with these bastards. I have DirecTV and love it, but I get sick and tired of having to deal with them each time I visit a store.

I know it's their job to sell the packages to customers, but leave me the fuck alone. I've gotten more rude with them lately. Now I just wave them off before they get a chance to say "have you heard about the promo Best Buy and DirecTV are running? sales pitch.

This is why, even with sales tax in PA, I will still give my business to Amazon. Can't deal with blatant harassment when I'm trying to shop.

stingermck
09-27-12, 01:28 PM
I thought the Media department peoples were outsourced to some other company?

Thats probably the Anderson reps. If its like Wal-Mart they go in and set the shelves/displays etc. I went there tuesday at about 11:30AM and all the new releases were sitting on a cart. Come on guys, the stores open.

Mr. Cinema
09-27-12, 03:07 PM
There's a new article somewhere that mentions this being a gradual change for all Best Buy locations.

It's difficult enough finding certain titles with BD and DVD separate. It'll be even more chaos with them combined.

And yes, Anderson sucks when it comes to restocking, especially on a new catalog title. Those are never on shelves when I go in on release day, even by lunch time.

b2net
09-27-12, 06:53 PM
Sounding more and more like Circuit City. Now you have to figure out what category they decide a movie goes in and how they choose to alphabetize it. Soon they'll all be spine out to save even more space.

In the store by me 90-95% or more are spine out... It really sucks to browse..

UAIOE
09-27-12, 10:26 PM

This was my movie/music shopping experience whenever I went to Circuit City.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/73683/2160723-jackiechan_fulloffuck.jpg

I will never understand how they could have had such a shitty organization system.

If Best Buy is trying to emulate that, I'm never buying a disc from them ever again.

Alan Smithee
09-28-12, 02:15 AM
I went there tuesday at about 11:30AM and all the new releases were sitting on a cart. Come on guys, the stores open.

A lot of Tower stores did that- it wasn't unusual for some stuff to sit on a cart for more than a DAY, if they bothered to put it out at all! That's one of the main reasons why I think they ended up going out of business (and I worked at their main office too; nobody took my suggestions for the stores seriously.)

davidh777
09-28-12, 02:38 AM
Man, I used to love Tower :sad:

Dean Kousoulas
10-11-12, 08:18 PM
A lot of Tower stores did that- it wasn't unusual for some stuff to sit on a cart for more than a DAY, if they bothered to put it out at all! That's one of the main reasons why I think they ended up going out of business (and I worked at their main office too; nobody took my suggestions for the stores seriously.)

I loved Tower Records, but that was the case at my store also.

Deftones
10-12-12, 10:03 AM
Looks like Best Buy wants to compete with Amazon this Christmas by matching online prices: http://www.bgr.com/2012/10/12/best-buy-online-price-matching-amazon/

this might get me to shop a little more there than Amazon.

Groucho
10-12-12, 10:10 AM
I'll still shop at Amazon. No sales tax, don't need to drive anywhere, and it comes right to my home in 2 days. Now, if they price match plus they knock off $10.00 -- then we'll talk.

fujishig
10-12-12, 03:50 PM
Looks like Best Buy wants to compete with Amazon this Christmas by matching online prices: http://www.bgr.com/2012/10/12/best-buy-online-price-matching-amazon/

Interesting. I got an email from Toys R Us a few days ago saying that they will start price matching competitor's ads, which they never did before, and online prices for baby gear only. So I guess the retail space is getting a lot more competitive.

speedy1961
10-25-12, 02:23 PM
The guillotine has fallen at Best Buy:

From Twice.com:

Best Buy Cuts Top Of U.S. Operations; Vitelli To Retire

Minneapolis – Best Buy has reorganized its executive ranks, with the top layer of its U.S. operation being “removed, resulting in a leaner structure intended to improve the company’s agility.” This includes president of Best Buy's U.S. business, Mike Vitelli, who will retire from the company at the end of the fiscal year.

In a statement late today, Best Buy said it made the move to be “more responsive to business opportunities and challenges,” which will make it “a leaner structure intended to improve the company's agility.”

Hubert Joly, president/CEO, said in the statement: “One thing I have learned in helping turn companies around is that a business needs to have a nimble organization. Our new organization will help build a closer connection to our customers and front-line employees, as well as accelerate our transformation.”

Effective Jan. 1, 2013, Best Buy's operations in the U.S. will be structured around the following groups:

Two channels - online and retail: While online continues to be overseen by Stephen Gillett, digital and marketing president, Shawn Score is appointed to lead the U.S. retail channel.

Three business groups - connectivity, home and services: Jude Buckley is promoted to head the connectivity business group, succeeding Shawn Score, while home and services will continue to be led respectively by Mike Mohan and George Sherman.

Support functions, including human resources, finance, legal and marketing, will have no leadership changes.

In this phase of Best Buy's transformation, these groups will report directly to Joly. Vitelli, will retire from the company at the end of the fiscal year and will work closely with Joly to ensure a smooth transition, the statement said. Executive VP of U.S. operations Tim Sheehan will leave the company at the end of the month.

"Shawn Score and Jude Buckley have done a great job growing Best Buy Mobile and then leading the connectivity business group. I look forward to working with them and the rest of our team as we re-invigorate and rejuvenate Best Buy," said Joly. "Mike Vitelli and I will work closely together during the next few months to ensure a smooth transition. I am very grateful to him for everything he has done for the company and for his terrific support."

Vitelli said in the statement, “My time here has been incredibly rewarding and a true honor. The next few months will be devoted to winning this holiday season while working with the leadership team, our vendors and other partners to ensure an orderly transition. I will miss the men and women of Best Buy and retire from this great company certain that its best days are ahead."

The channel and business group changes announced today will be effective on Jan. 1, 2013, as Best Buy said it will focus more immediately on the holiday selling season. In recent weeks, the company has emphasized a series of initiatives designed to attract more consumers to its e-commerce platforms and physical stores, including offering free shipping. Over the past several months the company has significantly increased its investment to train its sales force to better serve its customers. For the holiday season, Best Buy has also given its sales associates, known as Blue Shirts, the authority to match online prices in key categories.

Best Buy will hold an Analyst and Investor Day on Nov. 1 in New York City, with presentations beginning at 1 p.m. ET. The event will be hosted by Joly who will share his assessment of the business and the areas of focus going forward and include presentations by other members of the executive team.

The chain also updated its expected results for the fiscal third quarter ending Nov. 3, 2012. Comp-store sales are expected to decline at a rate consistent with the range of results for the first two quarters of fiscal 2013 (-5.3 percent in the first quarter and -3.2 percent in the second quarter). Gross profit rate is expected to decline at a rate similar to that experienced in the fiscal second quarter of 2013, with a decline of more than 100 basis points compared to the prior-year period, due to the impact of product mix and product transitions in advance of several key new product launches. The company expects SG&A expense percentage growth to be in the low single digits over the prior-year period, due to investments related to the company's strategic focus on improved customer service (including increased training and higher compensation costs for sales associates). As a result, the company expects fiscal third quarter adjusted (non-GAAP) earnings per diluted share will be significantly below the prior-year period.

Best Buy plans to release fiscal third-quarter 2013 results on Tuesday, Nov. 20, at 7 a.m. CT and is scheduled to conduct an earnings conference call at 8 a.m. CT on that same day.

Alan Smithee
10-25-12, 04:25 PM
I'll fix up the store by me for free- if it works they can pay me and implement it in the rest of their stores, if it doesn't then they can fire me and pay me nothing.

Timber
10-25-12, 04:46 PM
So they're still keeping retail and online separate? Seems almost obvious that those 2 sections need to be integrated more then they are at the present time.

UAIOE
10-25-12, 10:23 PM
Retail and Online needed to be integrated 10 years ago.

SethDLH
12-25-12, 09:13 PM
didn't think it was worth starting a new thread for- does Best Buy still allow you to buy Kindle gift cards and pay with BBY gift cards?

Trevor
12-26-12, 07:33 AM
didn't think it was worth starting a new thread for- does Best Buy still allow you to buy Kindle gift cards and pay with BBY gift cards?
What's the benefit there?

Dexter Douglas
12-26-12, 08:59 AM

I used $20 in RZ certs toward buying a $25 Amazon card so I could buy a bunch of PC games. The deals they've had going are insane, so I can definitely see why one would want to do it.

SethDLH, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have any problem doing it.

Trevor
12-26-12, 09:26 AM
I used $20 in RZ certs toward buying a $25 Amazon card so I could buy a bunch of PC games. The deals they've had going are insane, so I can definitely see why one would want to do it.

OK, I guess I sorta see that. RZ certs are basically cash, and if you earn them you obviously buy stuff at BB, but I guess if you don't want anything at BB it's a way to move it to funds you want to spend.

BB is also giving 20% off iTunes cards for RZ members until the 29th btw.

SethDLH
12-26-12, 05:52 PM

things I want are cheaper at Amazon and I can add that to credit I already have there.

Thanks. I much prefer shopping with Amazon and have done the exchange of gift cards in the past but not for about a year so I wasn't sure if anything had changed.

Brent L
12-27-12, 04:04 PM
Wait. The Kindle gift cards are nothing more than Amazon.com credit added to your balance?

Dexter Douglas
12-27-12, 04:35 PM
Wait. The Kindle gift cards are nothing more than Amazon.com credit added to your balance?

That's how it worked for me. I bought $25 worth of digital download games no problem. I don't believe it differentiates what you can spend it on like mp3 or video credit.

SethDLH
12-27-12, 06:05 PM

Kindle gift cards just add Amazon credit to your account and can be used for anything on Amazon.

Deftones
12-28-12, 01:03 PM

If you read the Kindle cards, it says to be used on Kindle products and "millions of other products sold by Amazon." So I think the stipulation is that as long as it is sold by Amazon themselves, the cards basically work like a gift card.

b2net
12-28-12, 01:33 PM
I have bought other items besides those sold by Amazon.. so basically these are Amazon.com gift cards in my opinion..

Deftones
12-28-12, 03:23 PM
I have bought other items besides those sold by Amazon.. so basically these are Amazon.com gift cards in my opinion..

Nice to know. I wasn't going to risk trying to buy something that wasn't sold by Amazon when I did it in the past.

b2net
12-28-12, 04:34 PM
Basically you add the number from the back of the gift card to your gift card balance.. and then use it as needed... also, you can see how much GC is going towards your purchase before you confirm the order... enjoy..

TheBang
01-02-13, 03:53 AM

So, this price matching of online retailers was originally only valid through Dec. 24.

It's now been extended through Jan. 31. Maybe it'll become permanent.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TV-Video/Televisions/pcmcat290300050001.c?id=pcmcat290300050001

Tarantino
01-05-13, 06:49 PM
I honestly hope it does.

Matthew Chmiel
01-16-13, 04:15 PM
So, this price matching of online retailers was originally only valid through Dec. 24.

It's now been extended through Jan. 31. Maybe it'll become permanent.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TV-Video/Televisions/pcmcat290300050001.c?id=pcmcat290300050001
It's too bad nobody in the stores know this. I was about to make an impulse purchase for a Turtle Beach headset and I was informed by an employee and then a manager that's not the case.

I then informed Best Buy via their online chat about my experience and I got a similar "meh" attitude and response.

I'm glad Amazon continues to get my business. :thumbsup:

Brian Shannon
01-22-13, 07:58 PM
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-Geek-Squad-Policies/50-MasterCard-Coupon-Correction/m-p/652207/thread-id/84766

:lol:

mooovies
01-23-13, 06:53 PM
store in ronkonkoma by me is closing april,sales start 2-10 they said

Geddlo
02-02-13, 03:44 PM

Ronkonkoma on Long Island?
Which store are you referring to?

Alan Smithee
02-04-13, 12:18 AM
Since I was already in the area, I stopped by the Best Buy on Arden today (their first Sacramento store)- GOD was it pathetic! A very large number of discs in the "on sale" section were out of stock- either they had sold them all out the first day, or they just didn't have any (I'm betting the latter.) Most of the regular shelves were on the empty side too. Of course I heard someone get accosted by the DirecSpam guy.

arminius
02-04-13, 10:08 AM

Ronkonkoma on Long Island?
Which store are you referring to?

It must be the one on Portion Rd. That's the only one left in that area.

Tarantino
02-04-13, 04:32 PM
Since I was already in the area, I stopped by the Best Buy on Arden today (their first Sacramento store)- GOD was it pathetic! A very large number of discs in the "on sale" section were out of stock- either they had sold them all out the first day, or they just didn't have any (I'm betting the latter.) Most of the regular shelves were on the empty side too. Of course I heard someone get accosted by the DirecSpam guy.

All I hear from you in this forum is how much Best Buy sucks, yet you continue to go in. Why?

Alan Smithee
02-08-13, 05:45 PM
Because they didn't USED to suck- they were never perfect but at least they were a good place to buy DVDs for a while. Now it looks like they're TRYING to go out of business, which will be phenomenal given that they have next to no competition left! Besides, don't you WANT me to keep going in (and potentially buying something) since you work for them, or is my telling the truth too upsetting?

Groucho
02-08-13, 05:50 PM
All I hear from you in this forum is how much Best Buy sucks, yet you continue to go in. Why?It's an excellent showroom to see something hands on before you go and buy it at Amazon.

Alan Smithee
02-08-13, 10:32 PM
Actually it isn't, at least not for TVs. They lost a $2000 sale from me last year since all their TVs were bolted to the wall so I couldn't see what connections they had on them, they didn't have any of the remotes out, and I had to twist someone's arm just to get a Blu-Ray player hooked up. I spent hours at Fry's and got to check out all the TVs extensively, so that's who I bought from.

Tarantino
02-09-13, 08:47 AM
Because they didn't USED to suck- they were never perfect but at least they were a good place to buy DVDs for a while. Now it looks like they're TRYING to go out of business, which will be phenomenal given that they have next to no competition left! Besides, don't you WANT me to keep going in (and potentially buying something) since you work for them, or is my telling the truth too upsetting?

There are places that I hate shopping. You know what I do? I avoid them, instead of going in looking for shit to complain about on Internet forums.

Our CEO is actually trying to improve the customer experience (unlike the last one, in my eyes) and actually spent his first few weeks with the company working on the sales floor - he's heard and seen the complaints. I actually believe he can right this ship.

We'll see. It just frustrates me seeing people coming in and continuously bitch about how they hate certain stores, yet they keep going in there. Circuit City screwed me over twice (when they were still around) and guess what? I stopped shopping there. WalMart? I don't shop there.

fumanstan
02-09-13, 10:19 AM
Seems like you should be happy then that there are some people that keep trying to give Best Buy a chance, opposed to giving up completely and watching it go out of business. Like Circuit City.

Tarantino
02-09-13, 02:06 PM
There's a difference between giving it a chance and going there to seemingly pick everything apart just so they can come here and laugh about it.

Josh-da-man
02-09-13, 02:57 PM
We'll see. It just frustrates me seeing people coming in and continuously bitch about how they hate certain stores, yet they keep going in there. Circuit City screwed me over twice (when they were still around) and guess what? I stopped shopping there. WalMart? I don't shop there.

There aren't a lot of shopping options available these days.

Circuit City is gone. CompUSA is gone. Ultimate Electronics is gone. Borders is gone. All of the music stores and bookstores are gone from the malls.

If you're looking for computers or electronics, then the only options are Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy. WM and Target both have limited selections.

fumanstan
02-09-13, 03:15 PM
I don't see how commenting about the lack of stock at a store is picking anything apart. Just because people have complaints about a store doesn't mean they experience problems every visit or that simple purchases aren't still convenient to make there.

If reading people's complaints about Best Buy frustrate you so much, why do you keep going in to Best Buy threads?

My Other Self
02-10-13, 02:49 AM
In fairness to Alan Smithee, the Arden store does suck. It's the only location I completely avoid. The Citrus Heights store is up the street for me and for the most part is a decent shopping experience. Over the past year that one and the Roseville location have had significant improvements. I don't tend to buy anything other than media there, so when they jumbled all the shit together I was disappointed and voiced my concerns but I can't complain with the different promotions they've been having.

I've been shopping at Best Buy in general since the late 90s and over the past few years my visits were few and far between because of the shitty shopping experiences I've had. Not so much anymore. I don't buy nearly as much as I used to but I have no problem going there for something.

I'll never understand why people would want chains to close, regardless of how they view them. Less competition isn't good for anyone. If you hate a place that much, to me, then just don't shop there. The further our technology develops the more and more stores will close anyway. Enjoy competitive prices while they last. :shrug:

Tarantino
02-10-13, 08:12 AM
I don't see how commenting about the lack of stock at a store is picking anything apart. Just because people have complaints about a store doesn't mean they experience problems every visit or that simple purchases aren't still convenient to make there.

If reading people's complaints about Best Buy frustrate you so much, why do you keep going in to Best Buy threads?

It's not the one off comments that bug me - it's Smithee in particular. If you look up his posts in the store forum, there's quite a pattern.

On the whole, I hate it when someone has a bad experience at Best Buy, and there's a ton that I wish would change with this chain...as it stands now, I don't have anything to do with the big box stores anymore (I work for the Mobile branch), but the company needs them to survive.

Deftones
02-15-13, 09:05 PM
And now their return policy is down 15 days: http://consumerist.com/2013/02/15/best-buy-confirms-price-matching-policy-change-with-low-price-guarantee/

lamphorn
02-20-13, 06:40 PM
I still go to Best Buy because the bluray prices can be decent, and I love to browse movies on the shelves. The only other place that compares (and is much better these days) is Frys.

I have to agree with people who say it looks like Best Buy is trying to actively DIScourage bluray buying. The shelves are in complete disarray. It's like a 5 year old came by and threw the movies all over the place. The sales racks on the sides with specific titles on the tags have totally different movies on them. The DVD's and blurays are now mixed together in a crazy way. It's just a total mess. Last time I was there I was asking my friend, "who is the manager here and why would he/she allow this?" but it wasn't just that store, it's every Best Buy I've been to around here (Los Angeles).

I have to ask, seriously, if any of you guys work there, is store management being instructed to make a mess of the DVD/BD shelves or is there some company-wide directive to actively neglect that part of the store so it becomes undesirable and they have an excuse to phase it out? I'm not being sarcastic, because there are employees all over the store but no one straightens up or organizes the movies, so that's what it seems like.

UAIOE
02-22-13, 10:03 PM
I was under the impression some outside firm stocked/maintained their movie/music section.

Texan26
02-23-13, 11:07 AM
I was under the impression some outside firm stocked/maintained their movie/music section.

Yes, they're a company called Anderson Merchandisers but that's no excuse. Although I havent seen one of these merchandisers in a while. One of my local Best Buys has movies all over the place. They are stocking them where ever they find an open hole to stick them in.

kd5
02-23-13, 01:18 PM
Walmart uses Anderson too, but their DVDs and blu-rays aren't all mixed together and in apparent disarray like they are at Best Buy. I suspect it was a BB management directive to arrange their movies like they are, and a bad directive at that if I do say so myself. I still go there sometimes to look around at their movies, but it takes WAY longer to peruse them than it used to, which may not have been their agenda, but ultimately pisses me off for having to spend more of my time just to find out there weren't any decent deals to be had anyway.

Draven
02-23-13, 06:35 PM
I think they're tired of people coming in to buy cheap Blu-rays, so they are making that section as inconvenient as possible.

It's completely asinine, but I can't think of a single other reason for it to be organized the way it is.

Groucho
02-23-13, 06:41 PM
I think they're tired of people coming in to buy cheap Blu-rays, so they are making that section as inconvenient as possible.This makes perfect sense. It used to be that it was very easy to make a "hit and run": grab the BD or DVD from the front of the store, and head immediately to the cashier. As long as you didn't accidentally make eye contact with one of the sales staff, you could get in and out in a hurry.

Deftones
02-23-13, 07:36 PM
It's completely asinine, but I can't think of a single other reason for it to be organized the way it is.

it does cut down some shelf space, which provides them more room to shill other high profit margin crap.

Draven
02-23-13, 07:44 PM
it does cut down some shelf space, which provides them more room to shill other high profit margin crap.

I'm sure that's how they justify it, but at my local store they only eliminated maybe one or two shelf units. Hardly seems worth it to have something that is such an eyesore front and center.

Deftones
02-24-13, 11:29 AM
I'm sure that's how they justify it, but at my local store they only eliminated maybe one or two shelf units. Hardly seems worth it to have something that is such an eyesore front and center.

that may be so at my store as well, but as a result, they expanded the cell phone space in mine. considering this is their bread and butter right now in terms of profits, any extra space they can get is worth it.

UAIOE
02-25-13, 06:20 PM
The store here has 7 or 8 small shelves as their music section. I remember when music took up most of the middle section of the store.

BB's music selection sucks, but its still better organized than Circuit City ever did.

Texan26
03-02-13, 03:02 PM
Looks like they are going to continue to reduce their movie and music space.

source: http://www.homemediamagazine.com/best-buy/best-buy-narrows-fourth-quarter-loss-29777

In a call with analysts, CEO Hubert Joly said Best Buy would downsize shelf space of packaged media. The shift in strategy will not impact Best Buy CinemaNow, including early and street date access to electronic sellthrough of new-release movies — many with UltraViolet functionality.

“We will reduce space allocated to the negative growth and low margin CD and DVD categories and replace it with higher gross categories like mobile, appliances and accessories and to support these expanded categories, we will deepen the product assortment, increase Blue Shirts training and we prioritize marketing investments,” Joly said.

Alan Smithee
03-02-13, 05:59 PM
Bye bye, Best Buy... (And if "digital delivery" does take over, it sure as hell won't be through CinemaNow- every time I bring that up on my TV, I'm amazed at how crappy the interface is compared to Vudu!)

Josh-da-man
03-02-13, 09:18 PM
I don't know how they're going to reduce the floor space for packaged media more than it is now.

Top 20 CDs and new release DVDs and blu-rays only?

Alan Smithee
03-02-13, 11:41 PM
Nice that they helped put Virgin Megastore out of business before deciding to do this also.

dan30oly
03-03-13, 09:21 AM
Nice that they helped put Virgin Megastore out of business before deciding to do this also.
teh internets did that, best buy - knot so much

PhantomStranger
03-03-13, 03:20 PM
Best Buy won't be selling physical media at all within 18 months. The margins were never good on them, even in the boom years, but they drove foot traffic to stores. Every single move that Best Buy continues to make, reeks of a failing business model that is merely delaying the inevitable bankruptcy.

Alan Smithee
03-03-13, 11:54 PM
So how will they expect to get foot traffic if they get rid of media? I guess they could eventually wake up and display the electronics so customers can actually try them out, which is why people like me buy from actual stores in the first place rather than online...

fumanstan
03-04-13, 12:40 AM
So how will they expect to get foot traffic if they get rid of media? I guess they could eventually wake up and display the electronics so customers can actually try them out, which is why people like me buy from actual stores in the first place rather than online...

I don't think your complaint applies to a lot of the folks buying TV's from Best Buy, so I doubt that would result in that many more visitors.

Alan Smithee
03-04-13, 01:24 AM
But apparently those people aren't enough to keep them in business, while people like me :) certainly would be.

Draven
03-04-13, 06:54 AM
I'd be amazed if they got rid of media completely. Selling Blu-ray players and TVs but not things to watch on them?

That said, I have a $25 reward zone certificate and I can't figure out anything to spend it on since their prices suck so bad these days. Maybe I'll get a gift card to another store.

fumanstan
03-04-13, 09:56 AM
But apparently those people aren't enough to keep them in business, while people like me :) certainly would be.

What makes you think that? I don't think that many people care about seeing the back of a TV or hooking up a blu-ray player to one like you do, so i'm not sure how that would keep Best Buy afloat.

bunkaroo
03-04-13, 10:17 AM
I'd be amazed if they got rid of media completely. Selling Blu-ray players and TVs but not things to watch on them?

Isn't that what HH Gregg is doing though? I'm not sure if their model is working.

I could see Best Buy falling back to a model previously mentioned, which is just having the new releases or the top 20 - kind of like Borders at the end.

lamphorn
03-04-13, 06:14 PM
You know, I try and I try to give them another chance, knowing in the back of my head that I shouldn't, but Best Buy is really losing me. Today's adventure- I decided I want to pick up the new 3D edition of Top Gun. The website says clearly that they are in stock at the store near my job.. so I walk over there and no Top Gun. I check the kiosk and the only answer I get is "Please see a Sales Associate for information on this item". Ok, the kiosk is useless. Looking around, there isn't a Blue Shirt in sight. I also see a price tag for Schindler's List on Bluray.. no copies in sight, same pointless result from the kiosk. I wander over the Customer Service and see a small line of people camping against the wall looking like people in an airport whose flight got cancelled. Screw that. I give up and leave, go back to work and order both movies from Amazon.

As many of us have noted before, the shelves are an embarrassing mess. Not just the decision to mix DVD and Blu, but also nothing is in order. There are stacks of random movies on the floor, on the tops of shelves, stuff in the wrong section, just chaos.

I go back because I really used to love Best Buy. I was a once or twice-a-week visitor, especially during DVD's hayday. I'd walk in with my coffee, spend an hour in the movie section, pick up a few movies, maybe buy one of those fancy new lazer mice, maybe some headphones, and considered it a fun shopping trip. But if they ain't got the movies, they ain't got me. I only shop for TV's once every 3 or 4 years. I only shop for a cell phone once every other year, at best, and never at Best Buy but at my mobile carrier's store or the Apple Store. I only go about once a month now because I walk frustrated more often than not these days, and I can see the time coming where I'll just get an Amazon Prime membership and write off brick and mortar altogether. Which is sad, because I really love the experience of getting out in public and browsing and interacting with other people looking for movies or whatever.

If they think their future is cell phones, they really are gonna be gone in 5 years or less. Why would anyone buy a cell phone at Best Buy when there's much better places devoted to cell phones? TV's, yes, but jeez, how often do people buy TV's? Best Buy became THE PLACE TO GO for movies, music and video games and THAT's what they're phasing out. It's just like all the cable channels that used to have their specialty niches and they've all gone to crappy reality programming. Bah! Humbug!!

Timber
03-04-13, 08:31 PM
I too was an every Tuesday and sometime weekend visitor to Best Buy back in the day, I used to request BB gift cards for Christmas and birthdays. Now there will be months at a time where I don't step foot in the store. It's not really a place that I enjoy browsing around anymore and the Blu's/DVD's are just a chore to look through.

In my mind there is just really nothing that screams Best Buy anymore. Appliances I'm going to Sears/Lowes/Home Depot. Media I'm getting online. Electronics is Amazon. Phones it's just not even a consideration.

Draven
03-04-13, 11:41 PM
I could see Best Buy falling back to a model previously mentioned, which is just having the new releases or the top 20 - kind of like Borders at the end.

That I could see. They are pretty much there already, since I can't find anything that's not a new release. Or if I do it's a DVD.

bunkaroo
03-05-13, 08:58 AM
I'm sure there are executives huddled in the Best Buy home office trying to figure out where they started losing people. For me it goes back years when they arbitrarily added $3 to every non-sale priced DVD. That's when I stopped impulsing buying there. By then Fry's had opened a store here so I've been going there ever since for catalog title browsing.

Speaking of which, Fry's doesn't seem to be worried about their floorspace for media - they've actually expanded it since Blu-ray gained prominence. Their customer service is probably worse than BB, but I look at Fry's like a self-service Walmart-type store anyway.

lamphorn
03-05-13, 03:08 PM
I don't know what the answer is. Has physical media been devalued because of Amazon? I remember when blurays were routinely in the $30-$50 range but they've been driven down to near-DVD levels of pricing where I can expect to get catalog titles for 7.99. Is that the killer of it? Bookstores still haven't reached Amazon-pricing levels, and they're obviously suffering for it. But is it that the stores are overcharging or that we're just accustomed to prices that are way below what market value should rationally be? We could be eating our own tail and driving these stores out of the media business with our demand for extremely low pricing.

Classic Films
03-05-13, 03:27 PM
Best Buy's CDs/videos are leased space no longer owned or run by Best Buy. Not sure why the set up is the way it is now. My store has many empty shelves where cd's/DVDs are. Don't think it is because they want to push high ticket items because as I said Best Buy doesn't control the media in its stores. Its now run by a third party. Different staff and all. Though they all have the blue shirts. I went to a store after 6 PM and couldn't find a blu ray I was looking for. No one in store could help because they said the media staff leave at 5PM. They could check to see if the computer said they had inventory but if they had inventory they couldn't tell me where it was.

Texan26
03-05-13, 04:41 PM
I don't know what the answer is. Has physical media been devalued because of Amazon?

I don't think it's Amazon. I think Redbox is to blame. Just about everyone I know uses Redbox. A dollar and change to watch a new release or $20 to buy it? Most people don't have time to rewatch a movie so they won't buy it but rent it at Redbox.

Anubis2005X
03-05-13, 05:43 PM
Best Buy's CDs/videos are leased space no longer owned or run by Best Buy. Not sure why the set up is the way it is now. My store has many empty shelves where cd's/DVDs are. Don't think it is because they want to push high ticket items because as I said Best Buy doesn't control the media in its stores. Its now run by a third party. Different staff and all. Though they all have the blue shirts. I went to a store after 6 PM and couldn't find a blu ray I was looking for. No one in store could help because they said the media staff leave at 5PM. They could check to see if the computer said they had inventory but if they had inventory they couldn't tell me where it was.

rotfl

X
03-08-13, 11:23 AM
Here are their latest cost-cutting measures:

15 day pricematch: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global/Low-Price-Guarantee/pcmcat290300050002.c?id=pcmcat290300050002

15 day return window: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Topics/Returning-Online-Purchases/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

Timber
03-08-13, 12:42 PM
15 day return window for a major retailers seems strange to me. Like they don't want to stand behind their products, or they're a fly by night company. How much money can they really be losing having a 30 day return period?

Troy Stiffler
03-08-13, 02:34 PM
Probably a lot. Too many people buy stuff without researching it, and then casually return it to stores. They use the "return period" as a "trial period" for electronics. Best Buy probably just surpluses those returns by the truckload. Under certain circumstances, they get reimbursed by the manufacturer. It costs them a lot of money.

That's where most of the store return and refurbished crap on eBay comes from.

majorjoe23
03-08-13, 04:17 PM
So if I buy someone a Christmas gift I should wait until at least Dec. 11 so they can return it on the 26th.

Though I'm sure things will be relaxed a bit around Christmas.

TheBang
03-08-13, 05:06 PM
They'll probably still have a holiday return policy, which usually stretches from mid-Nov. to Jan. 31. Though they might tighten up the end date, and I'm sure the 15-day pricematching policy will still apply.

Tarantino
03-09-13, 10:28 AM
So if I buy someone a Christmas gift I should wait until at least Dec. 11 so they can return it on the 26th.

Though I'm sure things will be relaxed a bit around Christmas.

I imagine it'll be different come Christmas, but I can't say for sure. Most retailers have an extended period for the holidays.

zoomgirl
03-11-13, 01:27 PM
I just came from Best Buy because I was looking to buy The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air sets that were on sale. I couldn't find any and the new layout is a mess so I asked for help. This guy did not know how to look it up on the computer. He clicked on "TV Shows" and then started to go through the ENTIRE list. I suggested he put it in the search function to narrow it down. I kid you not when he asked me how to spell "Fresh" and "Prince" because he didn't know how to spell either.
Yikes.

Tarantino
03-12-13, 08:32 AM
I too was an every Tuesday and sometime weekend visitor to Best Buy back in the day, I used to request BB gift cards for Christmas and birthdays. Now there will be months at a time where I don't step foot in the store. It's not really a place that I enjoy browsing around anymore and the Blu's/DVD's are just a chore to look through.

In my mind there is just really nothing that screams Best Buy anymore. Appliances I'm going to Sears/Lowes/Home Depot. Media I'm getting online. Electronics is Amazon. Phones it's just not even a consideration.

Curious to why you wouldn't consider Best Buy for phones?

Some of the best prices on phones and the best protection plan in the business.