Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

The media sections are usually why I go into the stores in the first place. If they get rid of those, I likely won't ever go in unless I'm specifically looking for electronics (and given Best Buy's crappy service, I'm likely to make the purchase someplace else.)
Old 04-01-12, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

South-central PA isn't a huge market, but there are plenty of other B&M stores for buying major appliances, televisions, and mobile phones. Somewhat less so for computers, car stereos, and other home entertainment. But how many televisions, refrigerators, and stereos does the average household buy? I visit a Best Buy for music and movies, and while their selection was once formidable, today I prefer the mall...which is about as bad an insult as I can imagine. Excluding BB-exclusives, very special sales, and Christmas (got a kitchen spacemaker radio/CD player there this past December), for me they have already ceased to exist.
Old 04-05-12, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran into a former co-worker (who is still at BB) and he said that the store here now carries only the top 700 albums vs when I worked there (circa 2000) when they carried the top 5,000 albums.

I was amazed (but not surprised) at that reduction.
Old 04-10-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Our CEO resigned today. Not sure what that means for the company, but I'm optimistic. Hopefully they bring in someone from the outside to change some things up.
Old 04-10-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

It means he sees the writing on the wall!
Old 04-10-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder how many people that are happy about Best Buy going under are going to be the same ones that bitch when Amazon and Wal-Mart start raising prices.
Old 04-10-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I just bought a 55" Samsung LED from them, it was the same price as Amazon and elsewhere on the interwebs. Oh and I bought the warranty too. :forumsheadexplodes:

I like BB
Old 04-10-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
It means he sees the writing on the wall!
I don't think it was his decision.
Old 04-10-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I wonder how many people that are happy about Best Buy going under are going to be the same ones that bitch when Amazon and Wal-Mart start raising prices.
It's not just about pricing...it's about customer service - and BB was/is one of the worst at that.
Old 04-10-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I don't think it was his decision.
Sounds like he was under investigation. Woops!

http://www.startribune.com/local/146811365.html
Old 04-10-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like he was under investigation. Woops!

http://www.startribune.com/local/146811365.html
great news scoop there, April O'Neill.
Old 04-10-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's not just about pricing...it's about customer service - and BB was/is one of the worst at that.
And where exactly can you get low prices and great customer service? Wal Mart? Target? In my experience they're all the same. They hire cheap labor to keep the prices down and it reflects in their customer service. If I were buying a tv, I could go to a specialty store, but why would I want to pay a higher price if I'm already knowledgable about the product I'm buying?
Old 04-10-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tarantino
great news scoop there, April O'Neill.
I'm just reposting a link from a Consumerist article about it. I'm sorry that you will soon be out of a job.
Old 04-10-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just reposting a link from a Consumerist article about it. I'm sorry that you will soon be out of a job.
glad to see your personal vendetta against me goes beyond the web.

I'm employed now and my guess is that won't be changing anytime soon.
Old 04-11-12, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
That guy was always in the monthly pep talk videos we would watch.
Word on the street is that this guy is next in line to take over as CEO:

Spoiler:
Old 04-11-12, 02:06 AM

Was just at a Best Buy today because of their deal on the "Darkest Hour" and "Three Musketeers" 3D Blu-Rays for under 20 bucks each- don't have a 3D TV yet but may be getting one soon. They ALMOST lost the sale because once again these discs both had slipcovers that weren't sealed, and fucking Best Buy stuck price tags right on top of them. I managed to peel them both off in the store without damaging the cover, so I went ahead and bought them anyway since nobody else had this deal (my alternative was to just buy "Darkest Hour" by itself at Target for $19.99).

Was on limited time but took a quick look at the TVs on display- NONE of them had the remotes out, and they were all fastened to the wall so I couldn't look at the back and see what sort of inputs/outputs they had. If I buy a TV I want to at LEAST check out the remote and get a feel for what sort of control the TV allows (can I adjust the overscan to my liking? Can I turn off on-screen displays when they annoy me, or do they stay up for a few seconds no matter what? Will it automatically go into 4x3 mode on standard-def channels and sources? How do you access the closed captions and alternate audio tracks on TV broadcasts? That sort of thing.) I remember a couple years ago I got some salesclown to actually track down a remote for a TV I wanted to look at, but he told me to make sure and set the picture back to the way it was (with overcranked color and brightness) when I was done. I asked him "Why, is it company policy that TVs on display are required to look like crap?" I think he pretended not to hear me
Old 04-11-12, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

And where exactly can you get low prices and great customer service? Wal Mart? Target? In my experience they're all the same. They hire cheap labor to keep the prices down and it reflects in their customer service. If I were buying a tv, I could go to a specialty store, but why would I want to pay a higher price if I'm already knowledgable about the product I'm buying?
Guys want 2 things when they're shopping, and I say guys because that's BB's main market. First they want to be left alone, second they want people around if they have a question. Best Buy is horrible at both. I don't want some random coming up to me when I'm looking through the Blu-rays asking if I need help, and if he's asking he better damn sure be prepared with an answer if I throw something at him.

Target, Wal-mart both excel at the first (leaving me alone) while are not particularly good at the second (knowledgeable) BB fails at both.
Old 04-11-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Was just at a Best Buy today because of their deal on the "Darkest Hour" and "Three Musketeers" 3D Blu-Rays for under 20 bucks each- don't have a 3D TV yet but may be getting one soon. They ALMOST lost the sale because once again these discs both had slipcovers that weren't sealed, and fucking Best Buy stuck price tags right on top of them. I managed to peel them both off in the store without damaging the cover, so I went ahead and bought them anyway since nobody else had this deal (my alternative was to just buy "Darkest Hour" by itself at Target for $19.99).

Was on limited time but took a quick look at the TVs on display- NONE of them had the remotes out, and they were all fastened to the wall so I couldn't look at the back and see what sort of inputs/outputs they had. If I buy a TV I want to at LEAST check out the remote and get a feel for what sort of control the TV allows (can I adjust the overscan to my liking? Can I turn off on-screen displays when they annoy me, or do they stay up for a few seconds no matter what? Will it automatically go into 4x3 mode on standard-def channels and sources? How do you access the closed captions and alternate audio tracks on TV broadcasts? That sort of thing.) I remember a couple years ago I got some salesclown to actually track down a remote for a TV I wanted to look at, but he told me to make sure and set the picture back to the way it was (with overcranked color and brightness) when I was done. I asked him "Why, is it company policy that TVs on display are required to look like crap?" I think he pretended not to hear me
You do realize that you're in the 1% of people that give a shit about what their slipcover looks like, right? And you're also in the 1% that cares about what the back of the TV looks like? Best Buy caters to the masses. How do people not get this? If you want all the things you want then pay the higher price and go to a store that specializes in selling TV's.

Originally Posted by Timber
Guys want 2 things when they're shopping, and I say guys because that's BB's main market. First they want to be left alone, second they want people around if they have a question. Best Buy is horrible at both. I don't want some random coming up to me when I'm looking through the Blu-rays asking if I need help, and if he's asking he better damn sure be prepared with an answer if I throw something at him.

Target, Wal-mart both excel at the first (leaving me alone) while are not particularly good at the second (knowledgeable) BB fails at both.
Interesting. So you want to be left alone unless you don't want to be left alone? I never understood what was so hard about saying "no thanks" to the few people that come up asking if you need help. It's a 5 second interaction. Even if it happens 10 times in a single visit, is it REALLY that bad?
Old 04-11-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly. I don't frequently go to a store but I do buy from them online. More competition is always good.
Old 04-11-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I just bought a 55" Samsung LED from them, it was the same price as Amazon and elsewhere on the interwebs. Oh and I bought the warranty too. :forumsheadexplodes:

I like BB
Interesting... so even taking tax out of it, why did you buy from BB instead of Amazon if it was the same price anyway? Doesn't Amazon have free white glove shipping on big tvs (or is that only for Prime members)?
Old 04-11-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. So you want to be left alone unless you don't want to be left alone?
Why yes exactly. If I go to Target I don't have people stalking me throughout the store. Now their sales people don't generally know a thing but at least I'm not fending off attacks while I'm there. And no it's not REALLY that bad but it's bad enough that I'd prefer not to have to deal with it.
Old 04-11-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Interesting... so even taking tax out of it, why did you buy from BB instead of Amazon if it was the same price anyway? Doesn't Amazon have free white glove shipping on big tvs (or is that only for Prime members)?
I'd do the same thing. If I had to deal with a possible return or replacement, taking it back to a B&M is much easier.
Old 04-11-12, 02:00 PM

You do realize that you're in the 1% of people that give a shit about what their slipcover looks like, right?
Well, since they keep saying the market for media in general is declining, if they want to keep selling any at all they're going to have to cater to people like me. The whole trend of un-sealed slipcovers is the WORST packaging trend I've ever seen. (And I never disliked the snapper cases, which some people refused to buy any title that came in that package.)

And you're also in the 1% that cares about what the back of the TV looks like? Best Buy caters to the masses. How do people not get this? If you want all the things you want then pay the higher price and go to a store that specializes in selling TV's.
I thought TVs WERE the main thing Best Buy specialized in. And 99% of people don't care about their TV having the right connections to hook their stuff up?
Old 04-11-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Why yes exactly. If I go to Target I don't have people stalking me throughout the store. Now their sales people don't generally know a thing but at least I'm not fending off attacks while I'm there. And no it's not REALLY that bad but it's bad enough that I'd prefer not to have to deal with it.
I'm the same way. Anytime anyone in any store asks me if I need help finding something, I tell them I'm just looking to get them to leave me alone, even if I am looking for something specific.

I like them to be visible if I actually do need something, but I'd really prefer they don't even speak to me unless I speak to them first.
Old 04-11-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I'm the same way. Anytime anyone in any store asks me if I need help finding something, I tell them I'm just looking to get them to leave me alone, even if I am looking for something specific.

I like them to be visible if I actually do need something, but I'd really prefer they don't even speak to me unless I speak to them first.
Exactly what I do as well. "No, I'm just looking."

Now my wife on the other hand is different. I went with her to BB a few weeks ago because she wanted an iPad case that she saw in the add. She actually went up and asked somebody over in that section if they had any in stock and where they would be. The guy looked at her like she was an alien, pointed in some general direction and said the cases are over there, if we have any that's where they'd be. They actually pay people for "expertise" like that?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.