Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help Sony DTE-S845 receiver and Sony DVP-S500 DVD

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help Sony DTE-S845 receiver and Sony DVP-S500 DVD

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-00, 11:53 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hooked up my dvd player into the receiver in the following manner.
I connected the 5.1 outputs on the back of the dvd player into the 5.1 inputs on the receiver.
I connected the digital optical from the dvd into the receiver as well as the digital coax.
When I put in Jurassic park, the blue light for multichannel decoding doesn;t light up and the display reads dolby digital 2/0.
Lost world does the same.
During the dts trailer the only sound I get is the clapping at the end.
I put in T2 ultimate ed. and selected DTS. This time the blue light light up and it said Dolby Digital 3/2.
I would think it should have said dts 3/2.
Any ideas?
I picked up the receiver tonight. My old receiver Sony DTE-S635 only handled Dolby Digital 5.1

I really want to hear the dts track in its full glory.

------------------
"Hey Rocky, Watch me pull another rabbit out of my hat."
"Again?"
----
ICQ 1415034
Yahoo Messenger: Vryce1974
----
My DVDTracker List
My DVDProfiler List
My Home Page
Old 10-12-00, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad has that same reciever so I may be able to help. All you need hooked from the DVD player to the reciever is either the coax connection or the optical. The seperate 5.1 channel connections aren't needed. The reciever will detect the DTS signal automatically and decode it. Some DVDs will default to DD 2.0 so you'll have to go into the menu and select DTS. It will either be in sound or some kind of setup option in the menu and many times it is under language in the menu. As long as you select DTS in the DVD's menu and in the DVD player's setup be sure it's set to get the audio from a digital source and not analog but from what you've described that should be set up right already.

Also I don't remember right now if it says DTS in large letters on the display, I know there is a small DTS light in the display that lights up. I know with my Toshiba DVD player I can just hit the audio button to see it is using the DTS track and if the reciever has that little blue light on then it is working. I hoped that helped somehow.
Old 10-12-00, 07:23 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Okay. I'll try unhooking the 5.1 connections and the coax digital and leave just the digital optical cable connected from the dvd into the receiver.
If there is just the single digital optical from the dvd into the receiver and I play a disc that is DD 5.1, it will be able to tell and play back that way, or will I still need to press the 5.1 input button on the receiver to playback?
I was looking in my DVD menu, there isn't really a spot that you can select DTS.
On the audio setup menu, it lists the option for Digital Out with the 3 choices: PCM, Dobly Digital/PCM (the one I selected), and D-PCM.
on a disc that is DTS, the PCM does nothing, the Dobly Digital/PCM plays back and the D-PCM displays a PCM [48kHz] in the receiver display.
Here is a link to both my DVD and Receiver specs.

Receiver STR-DE845
and
DVD DVP-S500D

[This message has been edited by Vryce (edited October 12, 2000).]
Old 10-12-00, 11:42 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Removed the digital coax cable and the 5.1 inputs into the receiver.
Still does the same thing. Not playing in DTS for Jurassic Park. Other movies that have a DTS track show that its using Dobly Digital 3/2 but not lighting up the dts light.
The weird thing for Jurassic Park is that it says Dolby Digital 2/0 and has the Pro-logic light lit.
This was the whole reason I bought a new receiver last night.

------------------
"Again?"
----
ICQ 1415034
----
My DVDTracker List
My DVDProfiler List
My Home Page
Old 10-12-00, 05:42 PM

I also have this same receiver, and i was wondering why while i am playing movies with 5.1, the receiver says 3/2? whats the deal, is it the same thing or what? I dont have a subwoofer, would that be the cause of it? thanks, fred
Old 10-12-00, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if I can help anymore now. I know that my dad's will say Dolby Digital 3/2 and I figure it is because he only has a center and two fronts.....no sub or rears. I have seen the DTS light light up and play DTS tracks fine. His has a Toshiba SD-1200 hooked up through coax. He had a problem with the Abyss playing in Pro Logic and I switched the track in the Abyss' menu to get Dolby Digital and it worked. Hope someone else can help you more.....I tried.
Old 10-12-00, 10:41 PM

I own the Sony Str-555es but the displays are very similar. The reason the display says 3/2 is because all the channels are being decoded seperately as in Dolby Digital. The display will still read Dolby Digital 3/2 when a DTS disc is being played because DTS is just an upgraded dolby digital signal. By upgraded I mean it is recorded at a higher bit rate but all channels remain seperately decoded. You should however have a small yellow DTS light in the display when a DTS disc is present. I am not familiar with your dvd player, but I would definately make sure it is a DTS player. After that I would reccomend you make sure you have your connection on the reciever set to digital and not analog, and be sure to select the dts track from the JP menu under languages. Other then that I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you have one of the elusive bad JP discs.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited October 12, 2000).]
Old 10-12-00, 11:12 PM
Cool New Member

I am don't know what features the DVD player you are using has, but you may have to go into it's setup and turn the DTS output on... Other than that I can't think of too much unless the reciever, DVD player, or disc is defective..
Old 10-13-00, 07:46 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the suggestions. In my DVD setup menu's, there is no option for DTS. When playing a DTS disc, other then Jurassic park, it sounds great and gives the Dolby Digital 3/2 but doesn't light up the little dts light.
I thought for DTS if the dvd player can't handle/decode it then you have to have a receiver that can. and as long as you have one, you are okay. Am I wrong?

------------------
"Again?"
----
ICQ 1415034
----
My DVDTracker List
My DVDProfiler List
My Home Page
Old 10-13-00, 08:36 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Looks like I have my answer from the HomeTheaterForum site.
My dvd player can't send out the dts signal. *sigh*

Looks like I have 1 of 3 options.

1) return the DTS versions and get the DD verisons
2) Hold out and wait till after christmas and purchase a new dvd player that can send out the dts signal
3) return the new receiver and keep using the old one, in addition to #1.

Though I do like the new receiver a lot.
So #3 is out.

I may just hold out and get a new dvd player.

I'd like to stay with the Sony brand. Anyone have a good recommendation of a good player that is under the $400 mark.
I don't need anymore then a single disc.

------------------
"Again?"
----
ICQ 1415034
----
My DVDTracker List
My DVDProfiler List
My Home Page
Old 10-13-00, 08:15 PM
BEC

Sony 360. Some reports of build quality issues (but no more than any other budget player below $300).

The 560 is the next model up. You get a DD decoder. Not much else.

That's it for Sony below $400, barring discontinued/used items.

Pioneer and Toshiba make very good machines worth a look. The Panasonic 320 is a great machine for around $300. I wouldn't risk getting any Panasonic model lower than this.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited October 13, 2000).]