Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Time For A New Laptop..Any Good Deals?

nickdawgy
03-28-12, 05:15 PM
So I am getting a new laptop, and wanted to find some good deals. Not looking to spend alot, say $600ish is tops, maybe a tad more if the specs are right.

Nothing smaller than a 15 inch, don't need Blu, but if it has it, that's cool. Would prefer Intel, but AMD is fine is the price is right.

As far as brand, I had an HP, it was fine. I had a Dell, and it sucked. Toshiba was good. I guess any brand would do, I don't hold a grudge :lol:

At least 4-6 gigs of RAM, and bluetooth would be nice. HDD size isn't important, at least 500 gigs I suppose.

I don't really plan to game on it, but it'd be nice if it was an option to play WoW or the Sims. Nothing like CoD or BF, though.

Any ideas?

Sdallnct
03-28-12, 10:32 PM
Check the usual deal sites. At that price range, but not doing heavy gaming, you should be able to find a lot of options.

dleedlee
03-29-12, 10:23 AM
I'm on a similar search as to OP except I don't care about bluetooth.

Anyone familiar with Dell's XPS line? (Overheating issues?) Had a leased Dell Latitude at work that was very sturdy and reliable. Don't need anything fancy, just long-lasting. I tend to buy and hold. Currently have 2 old Compaqs that have served me well. Been eyeing this as something suitable:

Dell XPS 15 Intel Core i5-2450M Dual-Core Sandy Bridge 15.6" Notebook Computer for $644.99
5.6" 1366x768 LED; Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz Dual-Core Sandy Bridge; 6GB RAM; 750GB HDD; 802.11n + gigabit; Windows 7 Home Premium; NVIDIA Geforce GT525M 1GB w/ OPTIMUS; HDMI; webcam; 6-cell; 1yr warranty

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/292211

Opinions?

nickdawgy
03-29-12, 10:44 AM
That Dell doesn't seem too bad.

Timber
03-29-12, 11:24 AM
I've seen quite a few Lenovo deals come and go over the last few days (outlet) but no dedicated graphics has kept me from biting on them.

Sdallnct
04-02-12, 09:35 PM
I've decided I'm never getting another Dell. I've had several and they have all been fine to good. Except on every one (4-5 in the family over the last 5-6 years) the battery goes completely out after 2 years.

My wife was telling me her battery no longer lasts even 15 minutes. And sure enough she has had it just over 2 years.

My 3+ year old Asus netbook battery will still go 5+ hours (new it went nearly 7).

zuffy
04-02-12, 09:57 PM
I have the Dell XPS 15. Max out the ram at 16gb, got one of those optical bay adapter to put a 750gb hdd in it and a ssd in the primary hdd location. Absolutely amazing laptop, especially the sound system. Never heard a laptop sound this good and loud. The standard battery is a bit weak if you watch movies stored in the hdd. Also, since this is a home laptop, the frame is a filmsy with the plastic. Not like a Thinkpad or Latitude. If you do get it, absolutely get the 1080 screen.

Ranger
04-02-12, 10:55 PM
Wow, 16gb ram on a laptop. I'm jealous. Do you have the page file enabled on that one?

Another vote for the $644 i5 dell deal.

nickdawgy
04-03-12, 03:04 AM
I think my wife said she wants Blu-Ray and Bluetooth, and I am shooting for at least an i5.

I think I have to up my price point though.

nickdawgy
04-03-12, 03:24 AM
How does this look?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LX2NQO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Blu-Ray and Bluetooth, i5, dedicated graphics, backlit keyboard...

seems like a great deal.....

No tax which will save me about $65-$70, and I have $60 or so in promo credits at Amazon as well. Oh and I am selling my old laptop for $300 to a friend that wants it.

kefrank
04-03-12, 09:54 AM
I've decided I'm never getting another Dell. I've had several and they have all been fine to good. Except on every one (4-5 in the family over the last 5-6 years) the battery goes completely out after 2 years.

My wife was telling me her battery no longer lasts even 15 minutes. And sure enough she has had it just over 2 years.
That's not particularly unique to Dell. The average lifespan of a laptop battery is 2 to 3 years.

My 3+ year old Asus netbook battery will still go 5+ hours (new it went nearly 7).
I would generally expect a netbook battery to last longer, since netbooks consume less power than laptops. The difference in screen size alone can have a significant impact.

Sdallnct
04-03-12, 10:10 AM
Could be. And if I was buying $1,000 laptops, I wouldn't mind spending $150 every couple years on a new battery. But I typically buy under $500 laptops so it often doesn't make sense.

Tho im glad you said that. I've switched both kids to netbooks and now might do the same with wife. Even less than a laptop and battery lasts longer.

kefrank
04-03-12, 10:26 AM
Could be. And if I was buying $1,000 laptops, I wouldn't mind spending $150 every couple years on a new battery. But I typically buy under $500 laptops so it often doesn't make sense.
I hear ya. It's definitely a hard pill to swallow when it's 30% of the cost of the whole system.

Tho im glad you said that. I've switched both kids to netbooks and now might do the same with wife. Even less than a laptop and battery lasts longer.
That's not a bad idea, but bear in mind these are just generalizations. There are many factors that can affect battery life for any particular device.

With the proliferation of mobile devices consuming more and more battery power, I would expect we'll see a breakthrough in better battery tech sometime in the near future.

RichC2
04-03-12, 10:27 AM
My Acer laptop (TimelineX 4820tg) is quickly approaching 2 years old but luckily still holds a 7 hour charge (switchable gfx are a godsend for laptops)

I'm thinking of building a new computer (non-laptop), anyone heard anything on the Ivy Bridge processors due later this month?

Sdallnct
04-03-12, 10:34 AM
I hear ya. It's definitely a hard pill to swallow when it's 30% of the cost of the whole system.

That's not a bad idea, but bear in mind these are just generalizations. There are many factors that can affect battery life for any particular device.

With the proliferation of mobile devices consuming more and more battery power, I would expect we'll see a breakthrough in better battery tech sometime in the near future.

Yes, I know. And I know many don't consider a netbook a "real" laptop. But I love them. They run full MS Office just fine. With Chrome they are quick for net surfing. With good net connection I have no problems with YouTube, Hulu, Netflix and even movies on iTunes. No, no gaming or high end photo/video editing. But otherwise I love them.

Timber
04-03-12, 10:34 AM
Got in one a good deal form the Microsoft store yesterday. A 15" Asus U56E i5 for $399

A little large for me and no dedicated graphics but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

nickdawgy
04-03-12, 11:41 AM
I missed that Microsoft deal by a few minutes. Had it in my cart and everything.

Oh and the latest on Ivy Bridge is late April or early May. I'm not really dead set on getting a laptop with it, so it's not a question of waiting for me.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
04-03-12, 02:42 PM
it's a refurb, not sure if you are into that, but $600 for an i7 17".

you will need to sign in to see it.

the hdd is 5400rpm, resolution isn't full hd, no bluetooth, and integrated graphics are really the only downsides. for bluetooth, you can get one of those mini usb ones, though, it does take up a usb port, obviously.

http://1saleaday.com/flash/toshiba-17-core-i7/

17” LED backlight widescreen Intel wireless (WiDi) display
1600 x 900 (HD+) max resolution
TruBrite feature
Blu-Ray drive notebook type
Intel 2nd gen core i7, i7-2670QM, 2.2 GHz processor
3.1GHz max turbo speed
Dual-core multi-core technology
L3 cache – 6 MB cache
Mobile Intel HM65 express chipset
Intel turbo boost technology 2.0, 4G WiMAX wireless technology
802.11b/g/n wireless
10/100 Ethernet network interface
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM
8GB max RAM supported
1333 MHz speed
750 GB, HDD/5400 RPM hard drive
Serial ATA-300 interface
DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM / BD-ROM optical drive
64 MB, Intel HD graphics 3000 processor
Dynamic video memory technology
Camera and microphone
Dolby advanced audio compliant standards
Harman/kardon stereo speakers, MaxxAudio 3
Microsoft windows 7 home premium 64-bit edition operating system
AC 120/230 V voltage required
75 watt output
VGA, LAN, HDMI interfaces
6-cell Lithium ion battery
4.1 hours run time
Energy star qualified
Dimensions: 10.8” (L) x 16.3” (W) x 1.4” (H)

nickdawgy
04-04-12, 10:28 PM
I ended up going with the Dell from Amazon. I got it for a great deal until I realized two things.

First I didn't notice it doesn't have a number pad when I bought it. Not a dealbreaker..

Then I noticed there's a dead pixel in the top left corner of the screen. Big enough for me to notice right away. Not sure if I should just return it or deal with it and have Amazon give me some kind of credit.

Ranger
04-04-12, 11:28 PM
64 MB, Intel HD graphics 3000 processor
Dynamic video memory technology
64 MB? That can't be right.

nickdawgy
04-05-12, 12:57 AM
So I contacted Amazon and after three reps told me I had to return it that was the only solution, I got a break.

The next rep asks if a 20% refund would be sufficient. Of course I accepted. So that means after selling my old laptop, and my refund and credits, this thing will cost me about $140 :lol:

RichC2
04-05-12, 09:33 AM
64 MB? That can't be right.

64mb dedicated, it shares the system RAM. It's integrated, it's weird but not unusual.

ie - Intel® HD Graphics 3000 with up to 1.6GB Dynamic Video Memory

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
04-05-12, 09:45 AM
So I contacted Amazon and after three reps told me I had to return it that was the only solution, I got a break.

The next rep asks if a 20% refund would be sufficient. Of course I accepted. So that means after selling my old laptop, and my refund and credits, this thing will cost me about $140 :lol:

Dead pixels drive me crazy. But for 20% off, I'd probably take it as well. Congratulations on the new laptop! How do you like it?

nickdawgy
04-05-12, 11:09 AM
Honestly, it's not impressing me too much so far. I heard really bad things about the Optimus technology and this thing seems like it loses the internet connection every twenty minutes or so.

Also, I'll click on a link and it's not instant like the old HP. It seems like it hangs before it goes to the page. For an i5 with 6gb ram (the HP was an old AMD Turion chip with 4gb) it seems sluggish.

Now I don't want to be picky. I mean I got a great deal on it.

That and the Optimus issue and hearing the XPS 15's are a top return or repaired item from pc techs.

What do you think? I can still return it obviously. I am sure Amazon will adjust it to cover the discount I received. Maybe I should just go with an i7 this time, and avoid Dell like the plague. I never have luck with them it seems.

If I do go with something else, Amazon would be most beneficial due to my $200 in credit there and no tax, but if the deal is good enough anywhere else I might have to jump on it.

nickdawgy
04-05-12, 04:44 PM
I decided to go with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KOCC84/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

I am sending back the Dell.

orangecrush
04-05-12, 05:06 PM
I decided to go with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KOCC84/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

I am sending back the Dell.I'd drop the extra money to get another 4GB of RAM. The 7200 RPM HDD and dedicated graphics should help make it feel much faster than that dell. I'd also recomend deleting all the pre-loaded software before you do anything. I recently bought an HP laptop from the Microsoft store. I appreciated that it hardly had any bloatware.

Edit: Reading the reviews, it looks like it comes with some antivirus installed. Get rid of that and just stick with Microsoft essentials.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
04-05-12, 06:40 PM
There has to be something wrong with your wifi, shouldn't be dropping every 20 minutes.

nickdawgy
04-05-12, 06:46 PM
I'd drop the extra money to get another 4GB of RAM. The 7200 RPM HDD and dedicated graphics should help make it feel much faster than that dell. I'd also recomend deleting all the pre-loaded software before you do anything. I recently bought an HP laptop from the Microsoft store. I appreciated that it hardly had any bloatware.

Edit: Reading the reviews, it looks like it comes with some antivirus installed. Get rid of that and just stick with Microsoft essentials.

I changed at the last second and got the one with a better video card and bigger hdd. But I picked up 4gb of ram for $22, so it's all good.

And I'm way ahead of you on MSE. I hate pre-installled one month trial virus protection. Have used MSE for the last few years.

There has to be something wrong with your wifi, shouldn't be dropping every 20 minutes.

yeah turns out it was the modem :lol:

Randy Miller III
04-10-12, 10:02 AM
I'm currently on the market for a laptop as well...finally moving away from the desktop at home. Looking to keep it under $600-$700, as I'd like to do some basic video/photo editing but nothing that warrants a super high-end machine. A Blu-Ray drive would be nice, but it's not necessary. Weight isn't a big deal either, as it probably won't leave the house very often.

As a Costco member I was looking at this: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11738857&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory.

Pros? Cons? Other leads?

RichC2
04-10-12, 10:17 AM
Pros:
Intel® Core™ i5-2430M :up: Very solid mobile processor
8 GB RAM
640 GB HDD
HDMI Out
USB 3.0

Cons:
1366x768 Resolution is terrible on 15.6" screens
I've never been a huge fan of Dell products (They tend to break on me).
Poor Battery Life (Review (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-inspiron-15r-2nd/4505-3121_7-34546097.html) - "The included standard six-cell only lasted 2 hours and 21 minutes in our video playback battery-drain test. Anything less than 3 hours is a big disappointment, especially with a second-gen Core i5 CPU and no dedicated graphics.")
Bulky

If you don't mind a less than impressive screen, bulky design and short battery life it's a solid laptop especially at that price. It should perform well. Also, Dell sells the 17" version for the same price (http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/293848): 17" 1600x900 LED; Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz Dual-Core Sandy Bridge; 6GB RAM; 500GB HDD; DVD burner; 802.11n + bluetooth; Windows 7 Home Premium; 720p HD webcam; 6-cell battery; 1yr warranty; MS Office Starter (Word and Excel w/ Ads);

orangecrush
04-10-12, 01:09 PM
Tiger direct has another Dell that might work better for you:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1833196&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=Es5Ekr9eEBk-axmT7e7QTQc5qW1e51WAJA

$700 AR

nickdawgy
04-10-12, 01:18 PM
I love the new Vaio, it's really fast, and way better than the Dell and the old HP I had.

Trying to get rid of all the bloatware though. Not sure what I need and don't need.

Any advice?

Randy Miller III
04-12-12, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I went with a Dell business-class laptop with a solid state hard drive, sold over on a Woot-related site yesterday.

http://moofi.woot.com/moofi/megabook

Sure, a slightly bigger hard drive might've been nice (as well as USB 3.0), but the build quality, SSD and three-year warranty sold me on it. It comes with 4GB RAM but I'll get at least another 4GB separately (max is 8GB, but many past buyers have commented that it's actually 16GB).

As far as the lack of USB 3.0, can I just buy the upgrade separately and swap it out?

Timber
04-12-12, 11:00 AM
I love the new Vaio, it's really fast, and way better than the Dell and the old HP I had.

Trying to get rid of all the bloatware though. Not sure what I need and don't need.

Any advice?

If it's that much bloat I'd probably just start over. Did it come with a Windows disk?

nickdawgy
04-13-12, 11:06 PM
I think it did. What is the process of starting over, just a complete reformat?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
04-14-12, 01:13 AM
I think it did. What is the process of starting over, just a complete reformat?

Assuming it isn't just a restore disk and is a full windows disk, then stick it in, install it. In the installation process, it will give you the option to reformat.

nickdawgy
04-24-12, 03:16 AM
What if it's a restore disk? That's just the factory condition, right?

How would you reformat then?