Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Did you get the girl/guy you really wanted?

PopcornTreeCt
03-27-12, 10:24 PM
I know a lot of you guys are married so I'm hoping the answer is a definite yes. Did you all get the one that you really wanted or did you settle? Or are you still pining after the one that got away or did he/she not turn out the way you imagined?

kvrdave
03-27-12, 10:28 PM
I got the one that is too good for me, and she got hoodwinked.

JTH182
03-27-12, 10:38 PM
well I'm still single, but I believe I met and lost "the one." Met her about 9 years ago when I was 22 and she 18. She was way too hot for me, but we got along from the moment we met, and for some reason she was attracted to me. Unfortunately she had a bad upbringing and now has 4 kids by 3 guys (not me). After her first failed marriage years later, she even told me she wished things had been different and that she made the wrong choice. It almost made me feel good to hear that.

I'm still hoping to find someone to make me forget her, but I'll probably always think what could have been.

Giantrobo
03-27-12, 10:41 PM
No comment....

EDIT: I will say. No.

But I will do my best.

Abelkems
03-27-12, 10:42 PM
For me, third time was the charm. My first, was because she accidentally got knocked up, so I married her due to pressure from my religious family. That was a nightmare. The second was a rebound thing where I kinda rebelled; it only lasted six months. After that, I remained single for several years and was determined to never marry again. I found my current wife online and we talked there for a while before we actually met. After meeting, things progressed rather quickly, but I couldn't be happier because it was on my own terms, and she feels the same way.

Giantrobo
03-27-12, 10:43 PM

You know, women keep putting this shit out there making men think they aren't ever good enough, that men should always feel lucky to be getting them, and that they are worth their weight in Gold. BULLSHIT!!!! :lol: Some are, most aren't. Some of them should be just as grateful to be getting us....

Abelkems
03-27-12, 10:46 PM
well I'm still single, but I believe I met and lost "the one." Met her about 9 years ago when I was 22 and she 18. She was way too hot for me, but we got along from the moment we met, and for some reason she was attracted to me. Unfortunately she had a bad upbringing and now has 4 kids by 3 guys (not me). After her first failed marriage years later, she even told me she wished things had been different and that she made the wrong choice. It almost made me feel good to hear that.

I'm still hoping to find someone to make me forget her, but I'll probably always think what could have been.

I had one of those. She was my one who got away. I compared every girl I dated to her. Until I met the one I have now. Now, the only time I even consider the "one-who-got-away" is when I hope she sees me out in public with the one who made me forget about her.

kvrdave
03-27-12, 10:51 PM
You know, women keep putting this shit out there making men think they aren't ever good enough, that men should always feel lucky to be getting them, and that they are worth their weight in Gold. BULLSHIT!!!! :lol: Some are, most aren't. Some of them should be just as grateful to be getting us....

Actually, she thinks I'm too good for her. That's how I know I lucked out. She had 3 immature brothers and an immature father, and she views being picked on as a sign of love. I tend to give shit and make fun of people, but truly out of love. Can't find that very often, and I lucked out.

JTH182
03-27-12, 10:54 PM
I had one of those. She was my one who got away. I compared every girl I dated to her. Until I met the one I have now. Now, the only time I even consider the "one-who-got-away" is when I hope she sees me out in public with the one who made me forget about her.

:thumbsup: I think that's the reason I'm still friends with her on facebook, lol!

Solid Snake
03-27-12, 11:07 PM
for now yeah...till I get bored and go to next one. I'm 25. I've got no reason to commit. yay me for living in a college town.

This current girl w/ the fascination to take me to shitty movies and talk about shitty movies a lot cuz I studied film is running it's fucking course very fast. Great body...but...pretty low on the brain activity. Really nice though.

SuperJim88
03-27-12, 11:12 PM
The wife agrees with the forum that I should just suck it up. So No.

My Other Self
03-28-12, 12:07 AM
This current girl w/ the fascination to take me to shitty movies and talk about shitty movies a lot cuz I studied film is running it's fucking course very fast. Great body...but...pretty low on the brain activity. Really nice though.When you get tired of her, see if she'll move to California. I'll PayPal you the airfare.

Ginwen
03-28-12, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I totally lucked out.

NORML54601
03-28-12, 12:50 AM
Seeing as how I'm single, I'm going to say yes.

RunBandoRun
03-28-12, 06:12 AM
Yes. Several times. :D

P.S. My "one that got away" was actually male, believe it or not. I was in love with him when I was eighteen and he totally broke my heart. However, in the intervening years I have learned what an incredibly arrogant, cruel asshole he has been to the woman he married, which vindicates my older brothers, all four of whom hated his guts and openly rooted for our relationship to fail. Which it did. :lol:

Tracer Bullet
03-28-12, 08:28 AM
I'm going to propose to my boyfriend soon. He's too good for me but he hasn't figured it out yet. Gotta lock it up before he does.

TGM
03-28-12, 08:40 AM
My wife is sweet, kind, generous, sexy, gorgeous, with a fantastic little tight spinner body. I am and have none of these qualities.

FantasticVSDoom
03-28-12, 08:42 AM
Well my first wife and I got along well (still do) and for a long time we had a good solid marriage... Thing is, I think things were almost too easy, we were almost the same exact person, and it devolved into more of a brother/sister thing and the "spark (or whatever you want to call it)" just wasn't there. My current girl and I do have a good amount of things in common, but we are completely different and its definitely not like my last relationship, hell were not even the same race :D... Shes everything I want so I think so, but nothing is everything as perfect as you build up in your mind. Moving in together in a new place this weekend so we will see how good it will be!

rw2516
03-28-12, 10:10 AM
Got her. Then lost her. I was a goner the second I laid eyes on her. We were young and marriage only lasted couple years. Haven't seen her for 25 years. No idea where she is or what happened to her. In the 30 years since we split up I've know a few really great girls but have never come close to feeling the way I did about her. Never remarried.

slop101
03-28-12, 10:31 AM
I'm not married, but here's why; the woman that I want, and therefore peruse, always turns out to be crazy, meanwhile, the woman who wants me (who I don't really want, so she ends up with someone else) turns out to be relatively sane. But then I'm shallow that way and I go for the prettiest ones, knowing full well they tend to skew crazy.

Michael T Hudson
03-28-12, 10:50 AM
Yes

ben12
03-28-12, 10:59 AM

I'm still hoping to find someone to make me forget her, but I'll probably always think what could have been.Don't feel bad. She would've been just as nutty with you as she was with those other guys. I doubt you'd still be with her at this point. You'd probably be paying child support.

Bandoman
03-28-12, 11:11 AM
I'm not married to Ashley Judd, so no.

Giantrobo
03-28-12, 11:15 AM
:lol:

astrochimp
03-28-12, 11:18 AM
Yes, but she keeps trying to get out of the box.

davidh777
03-28-12, 11:28 AM
Yes.

But a few years later, I met a pretty terrific girl who I very much clicked with and who was very much unattached (still is, as far as I know). Nothing ever came of it, but I always wondered what would have happened had the timing been different.

Meglos
03-28-12, 11:40 AM
:( No. And I had more than one chance.

Hokeyboy
03-28-12, 11:51 AM
I married my absolute Dream Girl. :) I waited until I was 37 to get married, I was not willing to settle for one second.

nando820
03-28-12, 12:16 PM
I think so there is fighting, there is cuddling, there is constant discovery, there is love. Like Eternal Sunshine there is a whirlwind of emotions and memories

TomOpus
03-28-12, 12:41 PM
As soon as Scarlett Johansson answers her door.... yes, yes I will :up:

OscarBluth
03-28-12, 12:43 PM
Not yet, but 67% of all second marriages end in divorce. The odds aren't in Len Wiseman's favor. So I wait.

Larry C.
03-28-12, 12:54 PM
/waiting for our favorite security guard stripper to spin a tale of BS... -popcorn-

Th0r S1mpson
03-28-12, 01:02 PM

Giantrobo, I'd like you to meet Kvrdave. He's been posting a while here but it seems you have never been introduced.

whoopdido
03-28-12, 01:04 PM
I dated the girl who I THOUGHT I really wanted, but it didn't turn out anything like I expected and hoped it would.

One of those deals where we were friends, but I wanted more, but she didn't deals and then eventually we got together. My guess is that she was never really all that into me in the first place, even though she never admitted that, and looking back probably wishes we never got together in the first place. And I wish we never got together either.

In any event, things certainly didn't turn out like I hoped mainly because I was so wrapped up in her that I couldn't see through my rosey glasses that she really didn't like me very much. Try "dating" somebody for 2 years when you're 100% into her and she's 5% into you. It was brutal and I held on way too long. And yeah I know she was fucking other guys while we were supposedly together. I'm not that dumb, but I was dumb enough to believe that things would get better.

It did teach me a lesson that every person should know though...as much as movies try to make us think it's possible...you can't make somebody change their feelings about you no matter how hard you try. For the rest of my life, I will never overly pursue a woman again. If she's not into me pretty much right from the start, I'm moving on right away.

slop101
03-28-12, 01:17 PM
It did teach me a lesson that every person should know though...as much as movies try to make us think it's possible...you can't make somebody change their feelings about you no matter how hard you try. For the rest of my life, I will never overly pursue a woman again. If she's not into me pretty much right from the start, I'm moving on right away.It does happen, but it's very, very rare.

jfoobar
03-28-12, 02:03 PM
Well my first wife and I got along well (still do) and for a long time we had a good solid marriage... Thing is, I think things were almost too easy, we were almost the same exact person, and it devolved into more of a brother/sister thing and the "spark (or whatever you want to call it)" just wasn't there.

This is a pretty decent description of my marriage, which is ending now after more than 11 years. Part of the problem also was that she was a great match for me when I married her in many ways, but she also reinforced my bad habits and my lackadaisical lifestyle from the person I was when we got married. I have gone through great pains in the past many years to become a better person and she has not changed with me (and it wasn't fair for me to expect her to).

So I still love her very much and we are still getting along reasonably well, but we just didn't have a real marriage anymore. So, after a couple of months of talking about "things", I moved out this past weekend.

jfoobar
03-28-12, 02:05 PM
It does happen, but it's very, very rare.

I would even add that when it does happen, there is a very substantial risk of the "change of heart" not being a permanent condition. The resulting heartbreak can ultimately be 10 times more damaging than if she was disinterested from the start.

chino77
03-28-12, 02:21 PM
seeing as im getting married tomorrow, the answer is yes. took 30 yrs to find her and 5yrs of dating but im finally pulling the trigger. ive never been one for marriage (i dated my ex for 8yrs until i broke it off) so getting married to her speaks volumes.

Shannon Nutt
03-28-12, 02:22 PM
The one I really wanted is playing Catwoman in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, so no.

FantasticVSDoom
03-28-12, 02:48 PM
This is a pretty decent description of my marriage, which is ending now after more than 11 years. Part of the problem also was that she was a great match for me when I married her in many ways, but she also reinforced my bad habits and my lackadaisical lifestyle from the person I was when we got married. I have gone through great pains in the past many years to become a better person and she has not changed with me (and it wasn't fair for me to expect her to).

So I still love her very much and we are still getting along reasonably well, but we just didn't have a real marriage anymore. So, after a couple of months of talking about "things", I moved out this past weekend.

yeah sounds pretty familiar as well... Its funny everyone would always say why dont you guys just stay together, nothing bad happened. But in the end, life's too short to be unhappy.

RocShemp
03-28-12, 02:49 PM
I married my absolute Dream Girl. :) I waited until I was 37 to get married, I was not willing to settle for one second.

Yeah but you're a cool guy.

I refuse to settle but know I'll simply wind up alone because of that. Still, knowing that, I still refuse to settle so I'm basically dooming myself. :shrug:

The Bus
03-28-12, 03:09 PM
I'm going to propose to my boyfriend soon. He's too good for me but he hasn't figured it out yet. Gotta lock it up before he does.

Nice!

The Bus
03-28-12, 03:11 PM
Not yet, but 67% of all second marriages end in divorce. The odds aren't in Len Wiseman's favor. So I wait.

Well done. :lol:

jfoobar
03-28-12, 03:19 PM
yeah sounds pretty familiar as well... Its funny everyone would always say why dont you guys just stay together, nothing bad happened. But in the end, life's too short to be unhappy.

Exactly. I just woke up one morning 5-6 years ago and realized that the life I was living was one I was going to acutely regret when I was laying on my deathbed...not because of anything I had done, but because of all the shit I hadn't done. Unfortunately, despite all her great, caring qualities, my wife is one of the least adventurous people I have ever met. She also seems amazingly untroubled by that fact.

I need to be with someone whose very presence inspires me (if not downright prods me) to really live my life, and wants to share in that. I will either die with someone who meets that description or I will die alone.

I have also come to realize just how inane so many elements of the typical suburban "good life", such as home ownership, acquiring the latest gadgets and gizmos, etc., are. I never plan to own a home again, at least not until I retire.

Yes, I am going through a huge mid-life crisis. :lol:

Groucho
03-28-12, 03:21 PM
I have also come to realize just how inane so many elements of the typical suburban "good life", such as home ownership, acquiring the latest gadgets and gizmos, etc., are.Preach it, brother!

Posted from my iPad

d2cheer
03-28-12, 03:31 PM
Paging Slayer2005!!! (If he ever gets done being suspended)

And for me the second time around was the charm.

kefrank
03-28-12, 03:52 PM
Yes, I got the girl. 5+ years of marriage and going strong.

kefrank
03-28-12, 03:55 PM
DISCLAIMER: I'm not a marriage counselor. I've only been married 5 years myself. I'm sure I'm more naive than I'm willing to admit and lacking in relevant life experience, so take this with the healthy grain of salt it deserves...

I need to be with someone whose very presence inspires me (if not downright prods me) to really live my life, and wants to share in that. I will either die with someone who meets that description or I will die alone.
Not to be a downer, but I don't think you're ever going to find that. People are a letdown. No one is unendingly inspiring. The chances of a human being bringing you that kind of lifelong fulfillment and inspiration are about as good as any of those other "suburban good life" elements bringing you lifelong fulfillment and inspiration.

That being said, marriage can be one of the best experiences in this life when the above expectation is removed and you approach it from a different perspective.

Whether or not anything I've said above has any merit, I am sorry to hear that you're going through what you are. The end of a long relationship is never easy.

RoadToPerdition
03-28-12, 05:00 PM
seeing as im getting married tomorrow, the answer is yes. took 30 yrs to find her and 5yrs of dating but im finally pulling the trigger. ive never been one for marriage (i dated my ex for 8yrs until i broke it off) so getting married to her speaks volumes.

Congrats and good luck tomorrow!

nando820
03-28-12, 05:16 PM
take it from RoadToPerdition! oh the irony

wishbone
03-28-12, 05:38 PM

So I still love her very much and we are still getting along reasonably well, but we just didn't have a real marriage anymore. So, after a couple of months of talking about "things", I moved out this past weekend.Sorry to hear about it jfoobar -- hang in there man.

JTH182
03-28-12, 06:53 PM
Don't feel bad. She would've been just as nutty with you as she was with those other guys. I doubt you'd still be with her at this point. You'd probably be paying child support.

yeah, my friends and I agree I dodged a bullet. Not to mention she has quickly lost her looks. Unfortunately she kind of had two personalities, one when she was with me, and a 2nd that was more of a party girl. I blame her trailer park parents for costing me the love of my life :lol:

islandclaws
03-29-12, 05:29 PM
I spent 4 1/2 years with a girl that I figured was my "one" since we'd been together for a long time, this despite the fact we'd broken up twice and fought constantly. She was a fucking drag.

I've been with my current gf for 5 months and I can say with 100% certainty that this is the person for me. I don't believe in fate/destiny/"the one"/yadda yadda... but this one is a major, major keeper.

nando820
03-29-12, 05:44 PM
^pictures or it didn't happen :p

Tarantino
03-29-12, 05:47 PM
Yep.

TimeandTide
03-29-12, 06:57 PM
I've been with my current gf for 5 months and I can say with 100% certainty that this is the person for me. I don't believe in fate/destiny/"the one"/yadda yadda... but this one is a major, major keeper.

:thumbsup:

Raul3
03-30-12, 10:50 AM
Short answer: Yes. I was ready to settle, and then she found me.

Long answer: "They married and were happy forever" is bullshit. You don't find the perfect person and are set. A relationship needs a lot of work from both partners. It's really hard for most people, because people get bored, people change, etc. So you have to adapt, evolve. Relationships evolve, and you have to be in the same channel.

TomOpus
03-30-12, 11:00 AM
A relationship needs a lot of work from both partners. Not quite sure I agree with this in total. A good relationship should only require small adjustments. If it's continually having to be a lot of work, then there's serious compatibility issues. I would imagine a lot depends on one's attitude about certain issues.

Raul3
03-30-12, 11:24 AM
Not quite sure I agree with this in total. A good relationship should only require small adjustments. If it's continually having to be a lot of work, then there's serious compatibility issues. I would imagine a lot depends on one's attitude about certain issues.

Yeah. I know it sounds kinda negative the way I wrote it. But my point is that relationships are not static.
And it's easier for some people to adjust, and more harder for others. But everyone can be happy if they work on it.

Giantrobo
03-30-12, 11:43 AM
Short answer: Yes. I was ready to settle, and then she found me.

Long answer: "They married and were happy forever" is bullshit. You don't find the perfect person and are set. A relationship needs a lot of work from both partners. It's really hard for most people, because people get bored, people change, etc. So you have to adapt, evolve. Relationships evolve, and you have to be in the same channel.

Agree 100%. People who say they dont have to work in their marriages are one of two things...Rare and lucky or in denial.

In my first marriage i was in denial. I didnt understand that the work doesnt end once you say I Do.

TomOpus
03-30-12, 11:48 AM
Yeah. I know it sounds kinda negative the way I wrote it. But my point is that relationships are not static.
And it's easier for some people to adjust, and more harder for others. But everyone can be happy if they work on it.Yes! It's not easy but if both people want it bad enough they can make it work. A little friction can keep things from getting too boring. It's all about attitude.

Giantrobo
03-30-12, 11:48 AM
Not quite sure I agree with this in total. A good relationship should only require small adjustments. If it's continually having to be a lot of work, then there's serious compatibility issues. I would imagine a lot depends on one's attitude about certain issues.

Some couples takes less work but all couples take work. As time goes on the work gets easier and you're right, it becomes more like adjustments.

FantasticVSDoom
03-30-12, 01:11 PM
Agree 100%. People who say they dont have to work in their marriages are one of two things...Rare and lucky or in denial.

In my first marriage i was in denial. I didnt understand that the work doesnt end once you say I Do.

:up:...

LurkerDan
03-30-12, 02:43 PM
Giantrobo, I'd like you to meet Kvrdave. He's been posting a while here but it seems you have never been introduced.

no shit, I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

madcougar
03-30-12, 03:01 PM
Not to be a downer, but I don't think you're ever going to find that. People are a letdown. No one is unendingly inspiring. The chances of a human being bringing you that kind of lifelong fulfillment and inspiration are about as good as any of those other "suburban good life" elements bringing you lifelong fulfillment and inspiration.

I married my first girlfriend... long story short... she was my first love in junior high. Of course we broke up and went along our merry way. Reconnected in our early 20s and got married. We were married for 17 years when I left. Thing is I realize now that I forced "square pegs" into "round holes" and thought that coincidences and history somehow equaled fate. I see that now. Sadly, we were never compatible.

But in response to your postÖ Iím with someone now who inspires me every day. I have never been with someone like this. Hell I didnít even know it was possible. But every day I do my best to be the best person I can because I canít imagine letting her down. I just don't see that changing.

Kmical
03-30-12, 03:06 PM
But in response to your postÖ Iím with someone now who inspires me every day. I have never been with someone like this. Hell I didnít even know it was possible. But every day I do my best to be the best person I can because I canít imagine letting her down. I just don't see that changing.

Give it another week ...

Shilex
03-30-12, 03:21 PM
One of the things I love about this forum is that people are honest (or at least honest sounding liars). Enjoyed reading through this thread. I'm getting to the age where I'm at a crossroads: Do I settle for someone who's crazy about me, but I'm only so-so about them (but feel I could grow into it) - or do I risk being alone for who knows how long?

I've been told I was picky, but I really don't think I am. I just know when I connect with someone (and that doesn't happen often, but it does happen). Sometimes I feel like my environment constantly makes me want other people (most of the people I hang around with are women). I'm wishy washy. One moment I'm feeling good about a relationship, then the next I'm wanting out. I know I need to grow up. I'm not getting any younger, and I can't keep doing this forever. I'm ready to slow down, but I don't think I've met the person I want to settle down with yet (or maybe I have, but she isn't that into me). So it's a real conundrum. The thought that you may never match up with anyone.

nando820
03-30-12, 04:26 PM
^Sounds like u not ready. Either u know or u don't

Jon2
03-31-12, 01:15 AM
All right... I wasn't going to say anything and I'm not going to mention names, but it's been three pages, and (unless I missed them) there has not been a single post by either of two members that (one would think) should have posted about this by now. :hscratch:

Come on, you two... don't tell us there's trouble in paradise?

PopcornTreeCt
03-31-12, 01:47 AM
I married my first girlfriend... long story short... she was my first love in junior high. Of course we broke up and went along our merry way. Reconnected in our early 20s and got married. We were married for 17 years when I left. Thing is I realize now that I forced "square pegs" into "round holes" and thought that coincidences and history somehow equaled fate. I see that now. Sadly, we were never compatible.

This reminds me... I hope "How I Met Your Mother" ends with the guy meeting his future wife in elementary school and they just later reconnected down the road.

mickey65
03-31-12, 07:33 AM
47 and still single. True love probably isn't meant to be for me...

kd5
03-31-12, 08:00 AM
All throughout my life I've thought that I really wanted this girl or that girl, pine away for them when they're gone, and felt really shitty about myself for the experience. But after all these years I finally realized that none of them were the one I really wanted. 7 years ago I met someone that 5 years ago I married, and I realized that after all those years she is the one I really wanted...:) -kd5-

Pizza
03-31-12, 08:04 AM
And it's easier for some people to adjust, and more harder for others. But everyone can be happy if they work on it.

Don't back down dude because you're absolutely right. Those who don't think that now will discover down the road how true it really is.

Troy Stiffler
03-31-12, 09:41 AM
All right... I wasn't going to say anything and I'm not going to mention names, but it's been three pages, and (unless I missed them) there has not been a single post by either of two members that (one would think) should have posted about this by now. :hscratch:

Sorry dude. I still love you. Come to bed now.

Jon2
03-31-12, 10:57 AM
Sorry dude. I still love you. Come to bed now.

Two things... 1) I wasn't referring to myself about those not posting, and 2) when I said "guys", I wasn't referring to gender. :lol:

Trevor
03-31-12, 12:52 PM
Took me 45 years to find "the one".

There were a couple/few times where I thought I let a potential "one" get away, or scare her away. But after a few months or so of pining for them, I always learned that it was for the best. The hardest one to get over was a situation where I was 38 and she was 22 and hot as heck, so it was mainly a lust/ego/trophy thing for me.

But with Jen, something just clicked right from the start, and on the second date I was beginning to think she was it.

Marriage is the toughest thing I've ever done, by far, but it's also the most wonderful thing and I love her more and more every day.

whoopdido
03-31-12, 06:07 PM
One of the things I love about this forum is that people are honest (or at least honest sounding liars). Enjoyed reading through this thread. I'm getting to the age where I'm at a crossroads: Do I settle for someone who's crazy about me, but I'm only so-so about them (but feel I could grow into it) - or do I risk being alone for who knows how long?

I've been told I was picky, but I really don't think I am. I just know when I connect with someone (and that doesn't happen often, but it does happen). Sometimes I feel like my environment constantly makes me want other people (most of the people I hang around with are women). I'm wishy washy. One moment I'm feeling good about a relationship, then the next I'm wanting out. I know I need to grow up. I'm not getting any younger, and I can't keep doing this forever. I'm ready to slow down, but I don't think I've met the person I want to settle down with yet (or maybe I have, but she isn't that into me). So it's a real conundrum. The thought that you may never match up with anyone.

Don't settle. It wouldn't be fair to either of you.

jfoobar
04-01-12, 08:46 AM
Don't settle. It wouldn't be fair to either of you.

Seconded.

Deftones
04-01-12, 08:49 AM
I got one way out of my league. People keep reminding me that. :lol:

LiquidSky
04-02-12, 07:32 AM
No.

The older I get, the less I care.