Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Carrie remake (2013, D: Kim Peirce, Chloe Moretz)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-27-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

MGM Formally Offers Lead Remake Of Stephen King’s ‘Carrie’ To Chloe Moretz

BREAKING: After meeting and reading a group of young actresses for Carrie, MGM, Screen Gems and director Kim Peirce have made their decision and made the formal offer today to Chloe Moretz. If negotiations work out, she’ll play the title role in the remake of the Brian DePalma original that was based on the 1974 Stephen King bestseller. She’s expected to play the shy high school student Carrie White, who is raised by a nightmarish religious fanatic mother, and comes to grip with devastating telepathic powers just as she reaches puberty. She eventually uses those gifts for lethal means when fellow classmates use the prom as an excuse to humiliate her before the entire school in a parable about bullying. Sissy Spacek played the character in the first movie, with Piper Laurie playing her mother, and Amy Irving, Nancy Allen, John Travolta, Betty Buckley and William Katt rounding out the cast. Both Spacek and Laurie got Oscar nominations for their work in the 1976 film.

The studio and Peirce have been meeting with actresses for the past two weeks. Word all along was that while names like Dakota Fanning were circulating, Peirce and the studio had an eye on Moretz. The studio denied it at the time, but what actually happened is, Moretz didn’t meet with Peirce until last weekend. She got the job immediately. Moretz, who first came on with performances in Kick-Ass, (500) Days Of Summer and Let Me In, is at the top of the crop of young actresses. Coming off Martin Scorsese’s Hugo, her next major film is the Tim Burton-directed Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp. She’s repped by WME and 3 Arts. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa wrote the script.

Insiders said that once they make Moretz’s deal, they will focus on landing the psycho mom and supporting cast and they will shoot this year.
Via Twitter:

Chloë Grace Moretz ‏ @ChloeGMoretz Never been so happy in my life! Thank you Kim Pierce and thank u MGM for the chance of a lifetime i will never forget!
Old 03-27-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Carrie remake (2013, D: Kim Peirce, Chloe Moretz

i'm only interested in this because i think moretz might actually bring something interesting to the table...
Old 03-27-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh man, no closing parenthesis in the thread title is going to bug me whenever I look at it. I need closure!!

I like how Spacek was a plain-looking, wallflower. I think Moretz brings something different to the role and I hope it fits. The things I've seen her in, she always has attitude and an angry look. Price seems like an interesting person to be doing this, I guess.
Old 03-27-12, 01:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Expect a lot less gratuitous nudity this time around (and a probable PG-13 rating).

Hopefully they can get Travolta and Spacek to cameo as teachers.
Old 03-27-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Oh man, no closing parenthesis in the thread title is going to bug me whenever I look at it. I need closure!!
I noticed right after I finished the thread. I'll pm a mod.
Old 03-27-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the original and see no reason for a remake, but Moretz killed me in Kick-Ass. I'd go see this. Be interesting to see who plays the mom.
Old 03-27-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
I liked the original and see no reason for a remake, but Moretz killed me in Kick-Ass. I'd go see this. Be interesting to see who plays the mom.
Sissy Spacek?

OH: and a PG-13 Carrie will suck. Carrie is a movie that needs to push the R envelope in my opinion.
Old 03-27-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I look forward to seeing this. Im on a Stephen King reading phase right now so I think after I finish the stand Ill read this. How is the original movie?
Old 03-27-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnysd
OH: and a PG-13 Carrie will suck. Carrie is a movie that needs to push the R envelope in my opinion.
If only for the fact the story is basically pushed into motion by Carrie receiving her first period. In the showers. With everyone watching and tormenting her by throwing tampons.

For the most part, the original film is pretty faithful to the novel other than using the novel's framing device (using recollections of those who were there for the events) and how the third act is executed.

Spoiler:
The original novel ends with Carrie destroying the entire town after the prom. She goes home to get consolation from her mother who flips out and stabs her in the shoulder. Carrie reacts and kills her mother by stopping her heart. She runs out of the house, kills Billy and Chris and then runs into Sue. She's able to read Sue's mind and lets her go knowing that Sue had no involvement regarding the prank and genuinely wanted to help out Carrie. Carrie dies from massive blood loss due to her mother stabbing and Sue hightails it out of there.

While I don't think the framing of the narrative would work, I'd prefer to see a "bigger" third act similar to the novel.
Old 03-27-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I kind of pictured Dakota Fanning in this. Tho I am surprised at the 2nd remake of this as well as the 1999 "sequel" The Rage.
Old 03-27-12, 03:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Stephen King is going to be pissed. According to Wikipedia his first choice for the title role was Lindsey Lohan.
Old 03-27-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hailee Steinfeld was also a rumored name several months back.
Old 03-27-12, 03:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Carrie remake (2013, D: Kim Peirce, Chloe Moretz)

Moretz is way too attractive. I think she's a very good actress, but Carrie should be a plain looking girl.
Old 03-27-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dash
I look forward to seeing this. Im on a Stephen King reading phase right now so I think after I finish the stand Ill read this. How is the original movie?
I like the movie with the same issue of...

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'd prefer to see a "bigger" third act similar to the novel.
This.
Old 03-27-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
For the most part, the original film is pretty faithful to the novel other than using the novel's framing device (using recollections of those who were there for the events) and how the third act is executed.

Spoiler:
The original novel ends with Carrie destroying the entire town after the prom. She goes home to get consolation from her mother who flips out and stabs her in the shoulder. Carrie reacts and kills her mother by stopping her heart. She runs out of the house, kills Billy and Chris and then runs into Sue. She's able to read Sue's mind and lets her go knowing that Sue had no involvement regarding the prank and genuinely wanted to help out Carrie. Carrie dies from massive blood loss due to her mother stabbing and Sue hightails it out of there.

While I don't think the framing of the narrative would work, I'd prefer to see a "bigger" third act similar to the novel.
Yeah, although it should be mentioned that King himself said that he wishes he had thought of the
Spoiler:
mother's death by impalement with kitchen utensils
that was used in the original movie.
Old 03-27-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looking forward to this. Based on the director and star, it looks like they're going for a more serious, high-minded movie rather than the money-grab sequel "The Rage".

They should definitely go for an R rating though. It's important to see Carrie's complete meltdown and how she enacts vengeance on the whole town.

Sissy Spacek as the mom is a brilliant idea! I've heard rumours about Jodie Foster or Julianne Moore (hey there, Clarice Starlings!).
Old 03-27-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I doubt it will exceed the original but I'm sure it would be a fun movie...she's a cool actress with lots of charisma.
Old 03-27-12, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Moretz is way too attractive. I think she's a very good actress, but Carrie should be a plain looking girl.
I remember reading that Carrie Fisher was up for the part in the original movie, but did Star Wars instead because she didn't want to nudity in the shower scene.

And we almost had Sissy Spacek playing Princess Leia.
Old 03-27-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Expect a lot less gratuitous nudity this time around (and a probable PG-13 rating).

Hopefully they can get Travolta and Spacek to cameo as teachers.
Nancy Allen as the gym teacher
Old 03-27-12, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I know what you mean. Spacek seemed perfect for the role. You really got a sense as to why she would be taunted in school. That was key in buying who Carrie White really was in a very short time. Also Spacek was still relatively unknown to mass audiences when the movie came out. It will be interesting to see how they do it with Moretz since she's gonna be fairly well-known when this movie comes out (she has 3 movies coming out this year).
Old 03-27-12, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interested in Moretz. She's got a quality that I admire out of her work. It'll be intersting. I as well would like the bigger ending. To make it as different from the original but still stay faithful, you know?
Old 03-27-12, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Did this new age of school-bullying create this remake?

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And we almost had Sissy Spacek playing Princess Leia.
Another Carrie alumni, Amy Irving, also screen-tested for Leia.
Old 03-27-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't kid yourselves: No nudity, PG-13, aimed at Hunger Games/Twilight audiences. Enough with the remakes already. What film started this current trend?
Old 03-27-12, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 70s version
Old 03-27-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never figured out why the gym teacher was killed in the original. She was about the only person who actually cared to help Carrie, yet she still got killed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.