DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Best way to back up photos

Mabuse
03-27-12, 02:22 PM
My wife has many thousands of pictures of our kids and she wants to back them all up in one place. What is the best/safest/most durable way to back up digital photos? I thought several big thumb drives would be best but maybe I'm wrong. Any opinions.

TheBigDave
03-27-12, 02:35 PM
I'd probably use a combination of thumb drive and off-site storage like Amazon Cloud.

Nazgul
03-27-12, 02:36 PM
I prefer a large external drive that you keep off-site (Work), however I'm intrigued by some of the online backup systems (Backblaze, Carbonite, et.al.). My upload speed sucks, so online is not quite viable at this point.

The Cow
03-27-12, 02:38 PM
For information like this that we worry about losing, we use 1 backup drive in the the house, 1 out of the house, and a backup in a cloud (Mozy).

Chrisedge
03-27-12, 02:41 PM
How much space do you need?

Sdallnct
03-27-12, 03:28 PM
Yea, for the cost of an external, I'd do that over thumb drives.

The advise of keeping off property is a good one. But remember, just about anything other than a safety deposit box could have the same issues as you (theft, fire, storm, etc).

chino77
03-27-12, 03:30 PM
thumb drives would be a PITA. just get a portable hard drive.

raven56706
03-27-12, 03:30 PM
these backup drives at home, do you have them plugged in to an outlet the whole time or do you just backup what you need and keep them away from an outlet (as in just preventing the surge problems)

Sdallnct
03-27-12, 04:51 PM
A buddy who lives in Florida, uses one with a cradle. So if he ever has to evacuate he just unhooks it from the cradle. I suppose it would be an easy way to unplug it to prevent power surges.

TheBigDave
03-27-12, 05:10 PM
these backup drives at home, do you have them plugged in to an outlet the whole time or do you just backup what you need and keep them away from an outlet (as in just preventing the surge problems)

I use both. I have external drives that are always plugged in to an outlet for everyday use. And I have some portable drives I use for long-term storage. They're USB powered and I only plug them in when I need them.

antspawn
03-27-12, 05:57 PM
I would recommend a portable hard drive and backing up all photos on dvd's as well.

danwiz
03-28-12, 08:50 AM
Portable hard drives, DVD's & the cloud. As somebody asked, how much space do you need?! Buffalo makes some really fine portable HDD's that will fit in your shirt pocket. The MiniStation™ Extreme - HD-PZU3 is $143.99 at Amazon.com - that one will fit in your shirt pocket so is good for leaving at the office or in a safe deposit box - and it's USB 3.0.

pinata242
03-28-12, 09:58 AM
For information like this that we worry about losing, we use 1 backup drive in the the house, 1 out of the house, and a backup in a cloud (Mozy).

Exactly. My mantra: "If it isn't in two places locally and one remotely, it doesn't exist."

First and foremost I'd get that stuff duplicated off site. Carbonite or Crashplan (especially if you have a buddy/family member that can host) are good starts.

Once that's done, you can breathe a little easier and try to wait out this hard drive shortage that's slowly starting to recover.

Ranger
03-28-12, 01:25 PM
Portable hard drives, DVD's & the cloud. As somebody asked, how much space do you need?! Buffalo makes some really fine portable HDD's that will fit in your shirt pocket. The MiniStation™ Extreme - HD-PZU3 is $143.99 at Amazon.com - that one will fit in your shirt pocket so is good for leaving at the office or in a safe deposit box - and it's USB 3.0.

Hmm, the Buffalo portable drive looks good. No external power needed and has good reviews.

fumanstan
03-28-12, 01:27 PM
External Drive + Google Picasa for me.

raven56706
03-28-12, 01:29 PM
whats the difference between those two backup sites and Icloud or Amazon Cloud?

pinata242
03-28-12, 01:33 PM
Crashplan can be free if you get a buddy to set up as a host for you.

Basically you give him a drive that you upload to and everything is encrypted from him. You can do the same for him.

Other than that, it doesn't matter. The point is get copies out of your house.

Jay G.
03-28-12, 09:34 PM
I prefer a large external drive that you keep off-site (Work), however I'm intrigued by some of the online backup systems (Backblaze, Carbonite, et.al.). My upload speed sucks, so online is not quite viable at this point.
Crashplan+ offers a "seeded backup" where they send you a 1TB drive that you backup to and send back to them, which they use as your initial backup. You then only have to upload changes. It's an additional fee for this service:
http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/feature/seed_service

Crashplan can also be used for backing up to a friend's PC, as well as an external drive, so you could potentially have your data backed up to 3 places.

If you want something more permanent than DVD-Rs, you can look into the new M-Disc, which is supposed to last a lot longer, but requires a compatible drive and is someone expensive media:
http://millenniata.com/m-disc/

The important thing is to have multiple copies, at least two, and preferably 3 or more. If you use an external, remember to copy the data to it, not move it. Keep it on the PC as well, because the external drive is just as prone to failure as the internal drive is.

PopcornTreeCt
04-02-12, 02:07 AM
Google+