Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Who is currently the best actor in cinema?

IstvanTheHun
03-25-12, 09:15 PM
Who do you think is the best actor of the current generation - not newbies, and not classics. Also, do not think "movie star" ie who is the biggest movie star or who is your favourite... think: who is THE BEST.

Dr. DVD
03-25-12, 09:17 PM
Daniel Day Lewis, IMHO

RoadToPerdition
03-25-12, 09:19 PM
DDL is definitely an all-time great. I think Leo is in the conversation. He's consistently turning in high quality work.

IstvanTheHun
03-25-12, 09:30 PM
Daniel Day Lewis, IMHO

vote in the polls please!

IstvanTheHun
03-25-12, 09:31 PM
DDL is definitely an all-time great. I think Leo is in the conversation. He's consistently turning in high quality work.

don't forget to vote, the poll is the point of the thread. thnx :)

Solid Snake
03-25-12, 09:31 PM
DDL.

DiCaprio is nowhere near DDL level. No one is, not even Meryl Streep on her best day. He's the best living today. I'd love to see a matchup between he and Toshiro Mifune. The two are sooooooo powerful in their acting. I'd probably give the edge to Mifune too.

RoadToPerdition
03-25-12, 09:33 PM
Sorry dude, your poll wasn't up when I posted. And there are way too many options there. lol

RoadToPerdition
03-25-12, 09:35 PM
DDL.

DiCaprio is nowhere near DDL level. No one is, not even Meryl Streep on her best day. He's the best living today. I'd love to see a matchup between he and Toshiro Mifune. The two are sooooooo powerful in their acting. I'd probably give the edge to Mifune too.

I can't argue with you, DDL is amazing. Totally got jobbed by Brody. I think he has the Oscar on lockdown already though this year.

Solid Snake
03-25-12, 09:44 PM
Yeah. Fucking Abe Lincoln. And Spielberg. Yeah...I'd love to see who 2nd best is and to see the wide as the grand canyon gap in quality.

on that poll the only people who are even close to DDL in quality is Dafoe, Oldman, Fiennes, Bale, Bardem, and Irons. Even w/ that...DDL is a whole 'nother level of amazing. Also..you're missing Neeson. He was the only person who stood his fucking ground in Gangs of NY against DDL. He and Brendan Gleeson. Everyone else due to the character or just not being a good enough actor was weak. DiCaprio was poorly miscast to stand toe to toe w/ DDL. Diaz was way out of her goddamn league against pretty much everyone in there as well.

Also...man...that'd be a badass movie. DDL w/ Dafoe, Oldman, Fiennes, Bale, Bardem, Neeson, and Jeremy fucking Irons?! Fuck. I'd love to see what the fucking story could be to handle all those guys in the same film. Hell...the same room

Hokeyboy
03-25-12, 10:51 PM
Leo DiCaprio is NOWHERE NEAR this conversation. :lol:

GoldenJCJ
03-25-12, 10:57 PM
No Jeff Kober? Daniel Day Lewis takes acting tips from Kober!

jmu878
03-25-12, 11:26 PM
Leo DiCaprio is NOWHERE NEAR this conversation. :lol:

Why not? He certainly doesn't have the same quality output as DDL, but what he does do is always upper tier and on a consistent basis. Or in other words, while he may not have done There Will Be Blood, he did put fourth several quality performances in that same time frame to DDL's one. Pretty much the same argument I use for Bale and Pitt, although DDL still gets my vote.

PopcornTreeCt
03-25-12, 11:28 PM
Daniel Day-Lewis is an easy #1.

It's harder to pick #2. I'd probably go with Christian Bale.

Lemdog
03-25-12, 11:52 PM
No Tony Leung Chiu Wai?

Fist of Doom
03-26-12, 12:01 AM
What, women no longer work in Hollywood? ;)

Seriously, if Kate Winslet were in the poll, I'd probably vote for her. Love her.

FRwL
03-26-12, 12:15 AM
:lol: @ Jude Law in there? I mean... heck Tony Leong would have been a better replacement.

But hats off for including Nicolas Cage though so it's all fine.

Kurtie Dee
03-26-12, 12:31 AM
I-ma fling you a Geoffrey Rush. Don't really know why.

Solid Snake
03-26-12, 01:04 AM
Why not? He certainly doesn't have the same quality output as DDL, but what he does do is always upper tier and on a consistent basis. Or in other words, while he may not have done There Will Be Blood, he did put fourth several quality performances in that same time frame to DDL's one. Pretty much the same argument I use for Bale and Pitt, although DDL still gets my vote.

Yeah..well tell me when he acts better than Neeson, DDL, Bale, Hardy, and Fassbender. He's NOWHERE near DDL quality

He's a quality actor for sure..but he's no Neeson or Tony Leung...you know which one I'm talking about. Hell Maggie Cheung beats the shit out of DiCaprio w/o trying. He gets damn good roles and he's a solid as fuck actor. But...he's nowhere near DDL in quality.

TimeandTide
03-26-12, 01:08 AM
Voted DDL.

But Ryan Gosling belongs on that list too. His turn in Blue Valentine (hell, even Drive) was better than anything DiCaprio has ever done.

Hokeyboy
03-26-12, 01:15 AM
From a post I wrote in another thread:

My problem with Leo (who is far from the greatest actor working today) is that whenever I'm watching him onscreen, I'm always conscious of him ACTING, instead of buying into his performance. A good actor makes you forget the artifice. Leo never makes it look effortless. Youre always reminded of just how hard he is trying. And not always succeeding.

Chadm
03-26-12, 01:21 AM
DDL easy. second place would be Michael Shannon who isnt listed. Greatest living actor: Kirk Douglas. Greatest living actress: Liv Ullman.

Solid Snake
03-26-12, 01:22 AM
I'm going to have to agree on that w/ hokeyboy. He's a solid actor can't say negatives about him, aside from Gangs of NY.... He's solid as fuck. BUT...he's acting. He's not...the person. DDL is Abe Lincoln. He was Daniel Plainview. He doesn't act..He IS that person. De Niro was better than DiCaprio. He's a good actor, I enjoy him a lot. BUT..he's no Tony Leung, Maggie Cheung, Neeson, Irons, etc etc. He's just not that damn good. Very entertaining but let's not cloud that w/ studying his actual quality of.

Chadm
03-26-12, 01:26 AM
thats exactly what ruined Blood Diamond for me. Leo was just ACTING SO DAMN HARD. Same with Will Smith. Whenever he plays a serious role his acting is just so painfully noticeable.

g
03-26-12, 02:28 AM
My vote is for Philip Seymour Hoffman. I'm really impressed with him.

JumpCutz
03-26-12, 02:50 AM
Michael Shannon deserves a spot on that list.

Jaymole
03-26-12, 08:12 AM
Daniel Day Lewis, followed by Sean Penn.

MrGoat00
03-26-12, 10:00 AM
DDL... followed by Viggo Mortensen

conscience
03-26-12, 10:09 AM
No contest:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UGY7RFMf6lY/Sgtjc7WtaHI/AAAAAAAADi4/HhvQ1XUBNO0/s400/philip_seymour_hoffman_boogieNights.jpg

Ash Ketchum
03-26-12, 10:52 AM
Jason Statham, hands down--and he'll kick everyone else on that list's ass just to prove it!

Mr. Cinema
03-26-12, 10:57 AM
Michael Fassbender is gaining steam, yet left off the list. Same goes for Gosling.

Damn it, I'm picking Leo. I think he is a superb actor and I enjoy his movies. So that's why I'm picking him. I like my actors to make different kinds of movies, and better yet, make more than 1 every 5 years.

GoldenJCJ
03-26-12, 11:56 AM
DiCaprio may not be at the same level as Daniel Day Lewis but he's miles better than Christian Bale. Being able to gain and lose weight at will doesn't make someone a great actor.

Dr Mabuse
03-26-12, 12:27 PM
Unanswerable question and a horrendous poll. Some good actors listed, but that list for "best"?

:lol:

Yeah Michael Caine certainly wouldn't be in the running would he? Vincent Cassel? Tadanobu Asano? Ryan Gosling? Michael Gambon? Michael Fassbender? Frank Langella? Andy Lau? Brendan Gleeson? Bruno Ganz? Gerard Depardieu? Jean Rochefort? Michael Lonsdale?

Tarantino
03-26-12, 01:08 PM
Tough question between Daniel Day Lewis, Seymour Hoffman & Gary Oldman. I picked Philip Seymour Hoffman.

superdeluxe
03-26-12, 01:24 PM
George Clooney?

Mike86
03-26-12, 03:04 PM
George Clooney?
I was going to say. Can't believe he would be excluded from a list like this compared to some listed and he'd be my choice probably. Philip Seymour Hoffman would be up there too.

JumpCutz
03-26-12, 03:10 PM
George Clooney is very good, but has limited range.

OldBoy
03-26-12, 03:14 PM
i've been loving a lot of what Jeff Bridges has done lately. Crazy Heart was amazing and then True Grit and even gave credence to new Tron. also, perfectly diabolical in Iron Man.

Clooney would be a close second for me.

**edit** just saw George Clooney not in the poll...hummina hummina, waaaaa????

superdeluxe
03-26-12, 03:14 PM
George Clooney is very good, but has limited range.

While that might be true, How he is not on a list of 20-30 actors is beyond strange.

JumpCutz
03-26-12, 03:36 PM
While that might be true, How he is not on a list of 20-30 actors is beyond strange.

Agreed.

Shannon Nutt
03-26-12, 03:41 PM
I'm partial to Russell Crowe, but I won't argue with anyone that says Daniel Day Lewis or Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

DeputyDave
03-26-12, 07:01 PM
Oldman

Dr. DVD
03-26-12, 07:39 PM
Sorry dude, your poll wasn't up when I posted. And there are way too many options there. lol

Same here.

Supermallet
03-26-12, 08:02 PM
No love for Brad Pitt? He may be a movie star but he's spent more time playing off-kilter characters than anyone not named Johnny Depp, and far more convincingly than Depp as well.

Solid Snake
03-26-12, 08:17 PM
No love for Brad Pitt? He may be a movie star but he's spent more time playing off-kilter characters than anyone not named Johnny Depp, and far more convincingly than Depp as well.

He and Depp are nowhere near Neeson, Irons, or DDL quality. Sooooo no.

Supermallet
03-26-12, 08:22 PM
Yeah, but Joaquin Phoenix and Nicolas Cage and Sean Penn (and Johnny Depp) are in the poll. Sooooo yeah.

Irons has gone way down in quality lately. If we were talking about Dead Ringers era, then absolutely. But these days he just does this gruff voice and very little else.

PopcornTreeCt
03-26-12, 08:27 PM
I love Neeson as much as the next guy... but better than Penn or Depp? Nope.

Solid Snake
03-26-12, 08:31 PM
I'd take out:

DiCaprio
Washington
Cage
Spacey
Depp
Phoenix
Cooper
Rush Crowe
Law
Bridges
Norton
Giamatti (well...maybe he'd stay in)

All those guys are really good at their jobs but there wide fucking gaps in comparison to DDL or Tony Leung etc. Or others that Doc Mabuse put up. I'm actually pretty amazed Fassbender and Neeson (cuz he's really been popular lately) aren't on there.

tommyp007
03-26-12, 08:37 PM
Came in to vote for Clooney, but since he's not here, Denzel got the nod.

Supermallet
03-26-12, 08:40 PM
I'm trying to think of the last really great Neeson performance. Kinsey? Rob Roy?

PopcornTreeCt
03-26-12, 08:58 PM
I'm trying to think of the last really great Neeson performance. Kinsey? Rob Roy?

Taken, duh.

Supermallet
03-26-12, 09:25 PM
Taken is great but I don't see that performance as being amazing.

bootsy
03-26-12, 09:29 PM
I'd take out:

DiCaprio
Washington
Cage
Spacey
Depp
Phoenix
Cooper
Rush Crowe
Law
Bridges
Norton
Giamatti (well...maybe he'd stay in)

All those guys are really good at their jobs but there wide fucking gaps in comparison to DDL or Tony Leung etc. Or others that Doc Mabuse put up. I'm actually pretty amazed Fassbender and Neeson (cuz he's really been popular lately) aren't on there.
You say take out all those actors and add Neeson -screwy-

Neeson is mediocre at best right now.

dan30oly
03-26-12, 09:32 PM
Channing Tatum

FRwL
03-26-12, 10:54 PM
Yeah..well tell me when he acts better than Neeson, DDL, Bale, Hardy, and Fassbender. He's NOWHERE near DDL quality

He's a quality actor for sure..but he's no Neeson or Tony Leung...you know which one I'm talking about. Hell Maggie Cheung beats the shit out of DiCaprio w/o trying. He gets damn good roles and he's a solid as fuck actor. But...he's nowhere near DDL in quality.

Oh woops i actually meant to post Al Leong in my original post not whoever the other guy is.

Giles
03-26-12, 11:02 PM
can I play favortism? ... Peter Mullan :)

boredsilly
03-26-12, 11:38 PM
Even though I haven't seen a ton of his movies, DDL is really something special. He's not only a great actor, but truly transforms into the roles he plays.

Even though they've got a little more leg work to put in, I feel like the next big "best" actor (ala Clooney or Pitt) over the next decade is going to come down to Gosling and Fassbender.

Supermallet
03-26-12, 11:47 PM
I've only seen Clooney give a handful of performances that really wowed me. He's a huge star but he's a mediocre actor.

JohnnyMovie
03-27-12, 12:03 AM
no Clint Eastwood? hmm none of all my favorite actor in poll but I choose with Nicolas Cage :D

PopcornTreeCt
03-27-12, 01:32 AM
Taken is great but I don't see that performance as being amazing.

My post was sarcastic.

IstvanTheHun
03-27-12, 04:26 PM
No contest:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UGY7RFMf6lY/Sgtjc7WtaHI/AAAAAAAADi4/HhvQ1XUBNO0/s400/philip_seymour_hoffman_boogieNights.jpg

haha awesome!!

IstvanTheHun
03-27-12, 04:29 PM
Unanswerable question and a horrendous poll. Some good actors listed, but that list for "best"?

Yeah Michael Caine certainly wouldn't be in the running would he? Vincent Cassel? Tadanobu Asano? Ryan Gosling? Michael Gambon? Michael Fassbender? Frank Langella? Andy Lau? Brendan Gleeson? Bruno Ganz? Gerard Depardieu? Jean Rochefort? Michael Lonsdale?

hey, opinions are like...oh nevermind.

can't include everyone when only 25 options are allowed, right?

Noonan
03-27-12, 04:32 PM
My vote goes for Denzel and DDL in a split. They can both make a movie with their performance alone.

Quake1028
03-27-12, 04:39 PM
Way too subjective. My favorites from your poll would be:

Paul Giamatti
Leonardo DiCaprio
Edward Norton
Robert Downey Jr.
Johnny Depp
Christian Bale

I would also add JGL, I think he's the best young actor working right now, but probably too young for this list.

Solid Snake
03-27-12, 07:13 PM
hey, opinions are like...oh nevermind.

can't include everyone when only 25 options are allowed, right?

doesn't mean much when most listed in the poll aren't that great. We're talking about next to DDL quality. That's the standard. A lot of those guys listed...nowhere near it.

antspawn
03-27-12, 07:20 PM
No Tom Cruise?

JumpCutz
03-27-12, 08:02 PM
No Tom Cruise?

Tom Cruise the best actor currently working? :lol:

Come on now.

Hokeyboy
03-27-12, 08:10 PM
Johnny Depp? He's good in many parts, but if you take him out of a "quirky" role, HE IS A FUCKING BORE.

Seriously. The only less memorable actor from Donnie Brasco was Anne Heche. Everyone else wiped him off the fucking screen.

JTH182
03-27-12, 08:23 PM
Channing Tatum

I agree. His work as "piece of wood" was amazing! I couldn't tell the difference between him and an ACTUAL piece of wood.

inri222
03-27-12, 08:36 PM
Johnny Depp? He's good in many parts, but if you take him out of a "quirky" role, HE IS A FUCKING BORE.

This is so true. In Donnie Brasco, Bruno Kirby & Michael Madsen were better than him. I would like to have seen how Public Enemies would have turned out if the Depp & Bale roles were reversed. His best film IMO is Ed Wood.

Chadm
03-27-12, 08:49 PM
I agree. His work as "piece of wood" was amazing! I couldn't tell the difference between him and an ACTUAL piece of wood.

I thought he was great in "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints" and "21 Jump Street"

antspawn
03-27-12, 09:18 PM

rotfl

FRwL
03-27-12, 10:36 PM

Johnny Depp also accomplished something amazing by being the more boring of the two adversaries in Public Enemies. And Bale was playing a good guy without any shadyness, a Dudley Do Right and he was STILL the cooler of the two.

Daytripper
03-28-12, 12:03 PM
My picks, in this order: DDL, Gosling, DiCaprio, Norton, Seymour Hoffman and Fassbinder.

inri222
03-28-12, 12:10 PM
My picks, in this order: DDL, Gosling, DiCaprio, Norton, Seymour Hoffman and Fassbinder.

Holy shit Fassbinder is alive!!! :eek:

Solid Snake
03-28-12, 12:13 PM

oh really?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/Rainer_Werner_Fassbinder.jpg

JumpCutz
03-28-12, 01:44 PM
We actually need a Fassbinder appreciation thread. :sad:

Daytripper
03-28-12, 02:42 PM
Heh heh. Sorry, sleep deprived typo. FassBENDER.

inri222
03-28-12, 02:53 PM
We actually need a Fassbinder appreciation thread. :sad:

Yes we most definitely do.
One of the greatest director's of all time.

Solid Snake
03-28-12, 10:07 PM
Fuck it. I'll do it.

CloverClover
03-28-12, 10:46 PM
Day-Lewis is good but until he can play a role with the kind of warmth and humanity Sean Penn did in Milk, I'll consider Penn better. He also can't do comedy, which Penn did brilliantly in Sweet and Lowdown. I believe Penn is #1

Remember when DD-L attempted a comedic-type performance he fell flat on his face, in Nine.