Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who: Series 7 (Fall 2012)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Doctor Who: Series 7 (Fall 2012)

Series 7 begins Fall 2012. Like last year, this series will be broken into two halves with the second half airing in 2013 - The show's 50th Anniversary. 6 episodes in the Fall (including the Christmas Special) and 8 episodes next year. 14 Episodes. They’re described as “14 big, blockbuster-movie episodes – each a brand new epic adventure featuring new monsters and some familiar foes as you’ve never seen them before.”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mrb20e841-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The above trailer comes from this weekend's Doctor Who convention in Wales. A better version of the trailer will be available on Monday.

Spoiler:

• The show returns to America (NYC) to shoot the final story with Amy and Rory (Episode 5). The Weeping Angels are involved. Moffat: "Amy & Rory will leave in a final encounter with the Weeping Angels in ep 5. Not everyone gets out alive and I mean it this time."

• The Doctor's new companion (Jenna-Louise Coleman) will appear in the Christmas Special.

• The Daleks will return in the first half of the series.

• After the initial 8 episodes in 2013, there will be more later in the year – exactly how many is still under wraps. Matt Smith is contracted for all the 2013 episodes.
Old 03-25-12, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: Doctor Who: Series 7 (Fall 2012)

Regarding those spoilers:

Spoiler:
If the Weeping Angels are involved in Amy and Rory's final episode, I wonder if it means that Amy is still possessed by that Angel that had her in their previous encounter...

That, or the Angels will "eat" them and send them into the past or something like that. Of course, if that happened, I would think that The Doctor could just go back and get them...
Old 03-26-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Better quality trailer:

<object width="512" height="400"><param name="movie" value="http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/external/player.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebbc%2Eco%2Euk%2Fiplayer%2Fplaylist%2Fp00qfq58&config=undefined&config_settings_skin=black&config_settings_suppressRelatedLinks=true&config_settings_showFooter=true&"></param><embed src="http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/external/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="512" height="400" FlashVars="playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebbc%2Eco%2Euk%2Fiplayer%2Fplaylist%2Fp00qfq58&config=undefined&config_settings_skin=black&config_settings_suppressRelatedLinks=true&config_settings_showFooter=true&"></embed></object>
Old 03-26-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Not the best trailer we've had. Seems like it might be 2/3 episodes as source.

I wouldn't mind a new show runner with Matt before he leaves. Funny how when I started with NewWho I was upset about the lack of continuity, but now I want things shaken up.
Old 03-26-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the trailer is made up of the first couple of episodes they've shot so far. A more in-depth trailer won't be around until summer.
Old 03-26-12, 01:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Where was the wild west stuff shot?
Old 03-26-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
Where was the wild west stuff shot?
Spain I believe.
Old 03-26-12, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep yep yep yep yep !
Old 04-11-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the chance to see Waris Hussein (first DW director) do a live commentary on the Unearthly Child last night at the Paley Center in Manhattan. It was a fun time. His stories about his meetings with the BBC, William Hartnell, Sydney Newman and Verity Lambert were really interesting. Loved a tidbit about how The Unearthly Child was shot on a budget of just 2,000 pounds.
Old 04-15-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's awesome!
Old 04-29-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
That's awesome!
It really was. At 73, the guy's memory was sharp as hell. He went through the exact layouts, timing, music, foley effects, and lines. It impressed the hell out of me. Hussein seemed to prefer the old DW. He liked the Doctor with a bit of insanity/anti hero as opposed to the present version. It was funny how he described current television. I'm paraphrasing but it went something like "most shows I watch every one is trying not to have sex with each other." Which got a great laugh. At the signing session after the show the guy talked to everyone, took pictures, very down to Earth as opposed to some "celebrities."
Old 04-29-12, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would've liked to have attended that, but I was just suuuper busy the past few months. The Paley Center Twitter account was livetweeting some of the tidbits he gave while he was doing commentary, and it sounded really awesome. I always loved "An Unearthly Child" (I think it's one of the best of the entire original series), and it would've been great to see it with everybody.

But while I missed that, I got to see some of the night shooting that Matt, Karen & Arthur were doing in NYC that same week. It was really cool, and there were tons of fans spectating. Everyone is used to seeing various shows & movies being filmed here, but it was special to see DW being shot here for the first time ever. I can't wait to see that ep...
Old 08-02-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Series 7 Trailer premieres on the BBC website today.

EDIT: And here it is....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R7YGoVyRSik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by The Valeyard; 08-02-12 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-02-12, 12:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the new trailer. And the new promotional image is badass.
Old 08-02-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Oooh! I can't wait. Great trailer.

I see BBCA has some DW stuff like best of..., women of DW, etc coming up. The "science of DW" is this sat at 9pm et. Might be interesting.

Spoiler:
Coleman is cute!
Old 08-03-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's been years and FIOS still doesn't have BBCA HD. I'm getting so tired of not getting DW in HD.

Trailer looks good though. We had some of the dinosaurs at ComicCon and it received a pretty good reaction.
Old 08-05-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'mm kinda over Matt Smith and the River Song storyline. Im being grumpy.
Old 08-05-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My wife really hates the River Song storyline. She also still talks about Rose and the Doctor, so..

I like the character of River Song, but I have to agree I'm ready for that storyline to die out.

Really looking forward to season/series 7!
Old 08-05-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm hoping River Song is sparsely used this year. I also hope any appearance is part of a single story and not part of her ongoing storyline.
Old 08-05-12, 01:36 PM
Banned by request

Moffat will continue to use River Song because she's his creation, and he has made a point of intertwining her story with the Doctor's. However I do think that series six was River's series, and now that her backstory has been told (and the resulting internet backlash), we'll see a move away from episodes that revolve around her.
Old 08-05-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I have one big complaint since the series "revival" in 05 is the need for the writers and show runners to throw in some form of romance for the Doctor. It was never in the character before (as deeply as it has been for the last 7 years) and River is kinda the encapsulation of a not-needed romance all in one character.
Old 08-05-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

River Song was a really cool character in her first appearance in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. That the Doctor meets a person from his future for the first time who knows his name and had some kind of intense experience with him only to see her die is a brilliant bit of work.

But anything that came after that between the two characters has never lived up to the initial promise of the character. I don't think I've bought the relationship (romantic or otherwise) between the Doctor and River; there's no real chemistry between the actors or the characters. And then, to have River be the daughter of Amy and Rory was about the least interesting origin Moffat could give her.

I realize that they're locked into a single actress for the role of a character who ages backwards, so it sort of limits how long they can keep River going. They had a really great out when it was shown River could regenerate, but that was quickly scuttled when she gave up her remaining cycles to save the Doctor. The ability for her to regenerate meant that they could have kept the character going for years with different actors for multiple Doctors. Which would give more weight to River's comment to the tenth Doctor about having never seen him so young.

Even then, giving River the ability to regenerate more or less makes her into another Time Lord and makes the character too similar to the Doctor.
Old 08-05-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I personally love River Song. I do think her and the Matt Smith incarnation of The Doctor lacks the chemistry she had with Tennant.
Old 08-06-12, 01:49 AM
Banned by request

I agree that making River Amy's child was a big mistake. A lot of big mythology shows have a tendency to make everything feel really small. You're saying that in all of time and space, River just happens to be the daughter of the Doctor's current companion? Seriously?

That being said, I still enjoy her as a character. I just wish we didn't have that origin story.
Old 08-06-12, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not only his current companion, but his next companion.

I recall reading that when Moffat wrote Silence in the Library, he didn't have any kind of backstory worked out for River other than that she was someone far off in the Doctor's future. So to have all of this stuff happening immediately after ten regenerated does make everything seem small.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.