Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Kevin Smith on Bruce Willis

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin Smith on Bruce Willis

In Kevin Smith's new book, did he say anything about Bruce Willis that he didn't say before?

I recall a detailed story that he told on one of his DVD specials or possibly in an essay where he talked iin detail about working with Bruce on Cop Out.

Does he reveal new info in the book

Or more or less the same?

Thanks
Old 03-24-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Kevin Smith on Bruce Willis

I haven't read the book, but I'm guessing it's more of the same. Kevin has only himself to blame...he had both met and worked with Bruce before COP OUT, and actually praised the guy before his COP OUT experience.

Most of Kevin's gripes seem to be directed at Bruce not taking direction well, Bruce not showing up for cast parties, Bruce not being cooperative with the marketing. I just don't think Kevin had experience directing an A-list star before and was used to actors who do as they're told. Hard to say...as I'm a fan of both these guys.
Old 03-24-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also haven't read the book, but in the third "Evening with" dvd Kevin tells a long story about working with Bruce on Die hard 4. It was recorded before the making of Cop Out.
Old 03-24-12, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about the book, but Kevin was on The Tonight Show last night and told a story about Bruce Willis on the set of Cop Out. I don't know if that's what sparked your question, but in case it's just coincidence you posted this the day after that: He spoke of a scene that Bruce Willis wanted him (Kevin) to re-shoot after calling cut and it was a scene Bruce wasn't even in. Kevin made some kind of comment about Bruce thinking he's the director of the movie and I guess Bruce got embarrassed about it and had Kevin clear the set so they could "have words" and Kevin thought Bruce was going to punch him out.

I don't know if this is new or not as I hadn't heard anything about Bruce and Kevin having problems before, but thought I'd share in case this was a new story for you.
Old 03-24-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kevin Smith mad
Old 03-25-12, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I've heard stories that Willis treated Smith like a fool when Smith exhibited behaviors that suggested he wasn't a fully professional/competent director.
Old 03-25-12, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is off-topic, but I love the avatar picture, Boba Fett. Great movie.
Old 03-25-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't actually see Smith on Leno.

I heard Smith talk about working with Willis on Die Hard.

And I heard Smith talk about working with Willis on Cop Out.

Willis might have been difficult on both films but it doesn't seem like Smith was blameless.

In one of his essays or dvds he going into some detail about his working relationship with Willis. Willis gave him a hard time for not knowing his lenses and not cutting out a lot of expositional dialogue in the script.

I wonder if the book goes into greater detail or just rehashes what he already said.
Old 05-10-12, 08:01 AM
Banned

If Smith turned out better movies, he might get more sympathy. Willis probably is an a-hole (like 99% of other actors), but Smith's products make him an easy target for someone who has a lot more experience making movies.

It's a whole lot easier "directing" your weed buddies than to work with actual professionals.

Just look at the masterpiece that is "Comic Book Men".