DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Help hooking iPod up to Onkyo Receiver

argh923
03-24-12, 12:46 PM
My Onkyo receiver doesn't have a dedicated audio aux input (I was surprised to find this out) so that I can hook my ipod into it. Would hooking just the audio cable up to, for example, one of the two composite plugs work? If not, what is the most cost-effective way to be able to listen to my iPod music through my Onkyo system?

Mr. Salty
03-24-12, 02:10 PM
Onkyo makes iPod docks for its receivers.

Beyond that it would help to know the specific model of receiver, otherwise we have no idea what inputs you have available.

argh923
03-24-12, 02:24 PM
Doh. It's an Onkyo TX-SR607.

The Cow
03-24-12, 02:46 PM
I think the Onkyo UP-A1 iPod dock works with that one.

Otherwise, get the Apple A/V cable and use the left/right RCA audio jacks (and video if you want it).

You could get mini(headphone)-to-RCA cable and use the headphone output on the iPod, but I've heard the sound quality is better coming from the dock port.

Mr. Salty
03-24-12, 04:42 PM
Yep, it's right there in the owner's manual and features page of Onkyo's web page for the receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-UP-A1-Dock-iPod/dp/B0026RHPSU

Spiky
03-24-12, 08:56 PM
My Onkyo receiver doesn't have a dedicated audio aux input (I was surprised to find this out) so that I can hook my ipod into it.
Most don't have a dedicated input for iPods. They want to sell the add-on.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
03-25-12, 03:07 PM
I've heard the sound quality is better coming from the dock port.

I think that would be true if you had crappy headphones or listened to the people that sell dock ports, unless of course you buy Monster brand RCA to headphone jack super cables for $300.

I've always had a couple RCA to headphone cables for things like this and they sound just fine.

Mr. Salty
03-25-12, 03:13 PM
I think that would be true if you had crappy headphones or listened to the people that sell dock ports, unless of course you buy Monster brand RCA to headphone jack super cables for $300.

I've always had a couple RCA to headphone cables for things like this and they sound just fine.

Using the headphone jack, though, you have to worry about balancing the volume of the headphone output and the volume on the receiver, whereas the dock connector, I believe, is a line-level output. With the dedicated iPod dock you also get remote control and onscreen display.

Spiky
03-25-12, 08:38 PM
The sound is best if you can bypass the DAC in the iPod, presumably the receiver would have a more capable processor. I assume the Onkyo product does that, it has its own special interface. Or there are others (http://www.amazon.com/Digital-iPhone-Hi-Fi-Quality-Output/dp/B0049MOK92).

CRM114
03-26-12, 09:47 AM
Get an AppleTV for $99 or an Airport Express and just "send" your tunes to the receiver wirelessly. Much more satisfying then being tethered to the receiver.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
03-26-12, 12:40 PM
Using the headphone jack, though, you have to worry about balancing the volume of the headphone output and the volume on the receiver, whereas the dock connector, I believe, is a line-level output. With the dedicated iPod dock you also get remote control and onscreen display.

True but on my home receiver, having the volume on the mp3 player already set at what I listen to works fine.

On the other hand, when I use it in the car, I have to crank it up all the way. The second half of that requires me to remember to turn it down before I put headphones on again :)

argh923
03-26-12, 07:46 PM
Went with the Apple A/V cable for now...we'll see how it works. The Onkyo product/Apple TV are last resorts.