Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Apple Time Capsule: Anybody here have one?

bluetoast
03-23-12, 03:10 PM
I need something to back up my computer, and it seems like this is a good option, and the fact that it provides Wi-Fi is a definite plus. If you have one, how do you like it?

chipmac
03-23-12, 04:45 PM
I don't have one but I personally think they're overpriced for what you get. I also don't like devices that serve multiple functions like this in the event that one part of it fails. For my mac I already have a router for WIFI so I simply bought a 1TB drive and a Firewire case to put it in. Apples Time Machine backs up to this drive without an issue and was a lot cheaper too. If you're on a PC then there are many backup apps available that could do a similar job.

Cardiff Giant11
03-24-12, 11:02 AM
I have the newest Airport Extreme and it supports a USB Hard disk sharing including time machine. It might be cheaper to get your own USB hard drive and buy the AE (150 refurb from apple) than buying a time capsule.

Forgot to mention, the airport extreme as a router is the best router I've used and I've used literally dozens over the years. I've only had to reset it once in about 6 weeks of usage and that may have not even been necessary (i'm not sure the router was at fault when my internet stopped working one day). Speed is really good and range while not ridiculous is very solid.

TheBigDave
03-24-12, 05:27 PM
I'm getting a Synology NAS (Network Attached Storage) in the next week or two. I plan on using it for storing/streaming media files and PC backups. You put a couple hard drives into the Synology case and connect it to the router with an ethernet wire. Then all your PCs, Macs, mobile devices and media streamers can access the files through the home network.

The Synology software includes a backup program for Windows. And it supports Apple Time Machine for Macs.

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS212j&lang=us