DVD Talk
People that dart into traffic and get pissed at the person driving down vehicle. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : People that dart into traffic and get pissed at the person driving down vehicle.

Buford T Pusser
03-21-12, 07:36 PM
Yesterday I was driving down a 35mph street and this guy talking on his phone just darted into the road from between two cars. He was in the middle of the block. I slowed down to a near stop so as not to hit him but it wasn't enough for him. I barely saw him in time to do that and not hit him.

He yelled at me "ASSHOLE!!!!!!!". He was the jerk that almost got killed walking into traffic. Geesh.

This made me think of the people that just walk into traffic at strip malls without looking or even with looking. I saw a woman and little kid walk out of a store today and look at me and just keep walking. I was doing about 5 mph but it's much easier for them to stop than for me to stop my car. I understand if they are in the crosswalk but once again they weren't near one.

What say you?

Nifty03
03-21-12, 07:39 PM
Try driving around a College Campus sometime. There are crosswalks where the cars have to stop for them and they still run out in the middle of the street.

My Other Self
03-21-12, 07:40 PM
Most pedestrians are annoying. They do have the right away, yes, but I've noticed more and more that people will walk anywhere -- not even in the crosswalk -- and expect you to slam on the breaks for them. That's just how it is.

What bothers me more are people that come out of stores with their shopping carts and block the middle of the aisle to the point where you can't drive around them and instead and have to wait for them to find their car.

DaveyJoe
03-21-12, 07:46 PM
Pretty much any accident or near accident, no matter what the circumstances, everybody thinks that the other person is the asshole.

Dr Mabuse
03-21-12, 08:29 PM
L'enfer, c'est les autres

Norm de Plume
03-21-12, 08:37 PM
Buford, why didn't ya get your club outta the trunk and get busy on his ass?

andicus
03-21-12, 08:41 PM
I always think that yeah, you have the right of way, but what good is that when you're dead?

EdTheRipper
03-21-12, 09:16 PM
Most pedestrians are annoying. They do have the right away, yes, but I've noticed more and more that people will walk anywhere -- not even in the crosswalk -- and expect you to slam on the breaks for them. That's just how it is.

My biggest pet peeve is that these people will just walk right into the road and not even acknowledge that I'm there. At least pretend to give a shit that I could have killed you if I wasn't a nice person.

mndtrp
03-21-12, 09:55 PM
Boulder is terrible about this. Fucking hippies all over the place, college kids on their the-world-revolves-around-me phase, all the bicyclists that think they own the road, and the dimly lit pedestrian crosswalks that require everyone to stop in the middle of what should be a fairly quickly moving avenue.

I do my best to avoid that city, and the pedestrians are the main reason.

NORML54601
03-21-12, 10:28 PM
Yesterday I was driving down a 35mph street and this guy talking on his phone just darted into the road from between two cars. He was in the middle of the block. I slowed down to a near stop so as not to hit him but it wasn't enough for him. I barely saw him in time to do that and not hit him.

He yelled at me "ASSHOLE!!!!!!!". He was the jerk that almost got killed walking into traffic. Geesh.

I'm not a big tough guy (in the sense it takes a lot to get me there), but I would have turned whichever way the guy was going and dare him to come say it to my face. I don't drive much anymore, but that is one of my pet peeves, pedestrians who insult drivers who are in the right.

bluetoast
03-21-12, 10:41 PM
What also sucks is when people get pissed at you for stopping for them when they have the right of way. Like they wave you over hurriedly. Yeah you probably want to take your time to cross and not have to run, but then don't be pissed. How was I supposed to know you wanted me to blow right by you?

I understand when a pedestrian waves me if I slow down before they approach the crosswalk/curb, but when you're right on it and wave me like you're in a hurry? I don't get it.

Charlie Goose
03-21-12, 11:09 PM
This is a common occurence around here. It's amazing how oblivious people are to their surroundings, that they will walk into the middle of a street without even so much as a glance in the opposite direction. It's worse in parking lots. And now that everyone has a cell phone, there's yet another reason to stagger blindly through life.
I always say that if I put a grasshopper in the middle of the road and drove toward it, the grasshopper would jump out of the way. So why does a grasshopper have more sense than a human being?
I'm constantly honking the horn and yelling at morons. Fortunately, I enjoy doing that.

Buford T Pusser
03-22-12, 12:04 AM
Buford, why didn't ya get your club outta the trunk and get busy on his ass?

Good point!

Buford T Pusser
03-22-12, 12:06 AM
I'm not a big tough guy (in the sense it takes a lot to get me there), but I would have turned whichever way the guy was going and dare him to come say it to my face. I don't drive much anymore, but that is one of my pet peeves, pedestrians who insult drivers who are in the right.

If I only could have stopped at that moment. It's now one lane due to the bus lane in the middle and the parking on the side was already flush with cars blocking dumb sh*ts like him.

Rockmjd23
03-22-12, 12:11 AM
No crosswalk, no brake. That's the rule.

Buford T Pusser
03-22-12, 12:13 AM
Fun rule!

whotony
03-22-12, 01:31 AM
I was driving towards a ups truck last year. The ups guy pops out in front of his truck into the street causing me to hit the brakes and veer out of his way.
He gives me a dirty look.

TomOpus
03-22-12, 01:49 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zltmOZiNez8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jon2
03-22-12, 03:08 AM
...What bothers me more are people that come out of stores with their shopping carts and block the middle of the aisle to the point where you can't drive around them and instead and have to wait for them to find their car.

What's even more irritating are those who do this AND aren't pushing a cart... just walking in the middle of the aisle like they're out for a stroll in the park.

Grade A, number one, rude assholes.

Troy Stiffler
03-22-12, 08:51 AM
Something similar happened to me a few months ago. But the lady didn't get pissed. We were driving on a four-lane, two way road. The lady decided to cross the street, during dusk, 50 feet short of the crosswalk. I saw her, slammed on my brakes, stopped 15 feet short and an SUV driving back a few car lengths, 5 feet short of her. Not to mention we risked getting smacked from cars behind us.

And it was on a curved road (not a sharp curve, but not straight). I think the lady was depressed and wanted to get hit or something. She never looked up at us or anything. If I hit her with my car, the dumb bitch could have had me sitting in prison right now.

Buford T Pusser
03-22-12, 08:53 AM
Dumb bitch...

Supermallet
03-22-12, 10:47 AM
The possibility of a pedestrian shouting at me angrily for stopping is exactly why I just plow right through them.

4KRG
03-22-12, 11:13 AM
people suck

Pedestrians can be assholes in a lot of places (parking lots, etc) but crosswalks really get me. The rules are not that hard, but the rules vary by state, so I will go with what my own state has to say about them

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-924

46.2-924. Drivers to stop for pedestrians; installation of certain signs; penalty.

A. The driver of any vehicle on a highway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian crossing such highway:

1. At any clearly marked crosswalk, whether at mid-block or at the end of any block;

2. At any regular pedestrian crossing included in the prolongation of the lateral boundary lines of the adjacent sidewalk at the end of a block;

3. At any intersection when the driver is approaching on a highway or street where the legal maximum speed does not exceed 35 miles per hour.

B. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection A of this section, at intersections or crosswalks where the movement of traffic is being regulated by law-enforcement officers or traffic control devices, the driver shall yield according to the direction of the law-enforcement officer or device.

No pedestrian shall enter or cross an intersection in disregard of approaching traffic.

The drivers of vehicles entering, crossing, or turning at intersections shall change their course, slow down, or stop if necessary to permit pedestrians to cross such intersections safely and expeditiously.

Pedestrians crossing highways at intersections shall at all times have the right-of-way over vehicles making turns into the highways being crossed by the pedestrians.

I can't stand Mo**** FU***** that think just because there IS a crosswalk that they as pedestrians do not have to STOP and look for traffic before they enter the crosswalk.

I take a road everyday that has a fairly major bike trail crossing on it with a crosswalk, and it amazes me how many pedestrians just walk right in front of traffic moving 35-40mph and act like just because the crosswalk is there they can go without looking.

It's bad enough in a car, but peds never seem to stop for motorcycles. They will even look right at you and walk in front of you (like you are a 10 speed pedal bike or something that can't hurt them)

The Cell phone walkers are as bad if not worse than cell phone drivers. These people always walk in the way of the something else and never realize it. It's too bad more them don't get killed for their stupidity.

SterlingBen
03-22-12, 11:48 AM
Natural Selection

rexinnih
03-22-12, 12:30 PM
What's even more irritating are those who do this AND aren't pushing a cart... just walking in the middle of the aisle like they're out for a stroll in the park.

Grade A, number one, rude assholes.

I loved it when I drove a (nearly silent) Prius and would sneak up on people who did this. They'd turn around and give the best shocked/deer in the headlight/I'm going to die looks.

Rockmjd23
03-22-12, 12:32 PM
25 posts in and nothing from the anti-automobile brigade? Slipping, guys.

starman9000
03-22-12, 12:32 PM
What is a person driving down vehicle?

SuperJim88
03-22-12, 12:50 PM
Boulder is terrible about this. Fucking hippies all over the place, college kids on their the-world-revolves-around-me phase, all the bicyclists that think they own the road, and the dimly lit pedestrian crosswalks that require everyone to stop in the middle of what should be a fairly quickly moving avenue.

I do my best to avoid that city, and the pedestrians are the main reason.

This is what came to mind immediately after reading OP's post. Boulder is especially worst when the problem is compounded with the crazy amount of buses. The buses only drives at the right lane and stop at the crosswalk for any reason. The buses are so freaking big that it blocks your view if there is really anybody walking across. I've seen it so many near misses because the cars on the left lane can't see if a student is indeed walking across.

kitkat
03-22-12, 01:01 PM
And on the filp side, this has happened to me twice in the past several months while out walking, in broad daylight. Both times I was already crossing at an intersection where the approaching car had a stop sign. Both times the car stopped, and both times, as I was walking directly in front of the car, the driver started up again and almost hit me. Hello! Use your damn eyes before you hit the gas!

People are idiots.

Tracer Bullet
03-22-12, 01:26 PM
25 posts in and nothing from the anti-automobile brigade? Slipping, guys.

I think the federal government should seize all private vehicles, sell them for scrap, and give the proceeds to new urbanists. Also all the former private vehicle owners should be murdered.

Nifty03
03-22-12, 02:02 PM
And how about all them damn squirrels!

Jon2
03-23-12, 03:21 AM
I loved it when I drove a (nearly silent) Prius and would sneak up on people who did this. They'd turn around and give the best shocked/deer in the headlight/I'm going to die looks.

Best reason I can think of for owning one... besides the gas thing.

Nick Danger
03-23-12, 06:13 AM
I think the federal government should seize all private vehicles, sell them for scrap, and give the proceeds to new urbanists. Also all the former private vehicle owners should be murdered.

It's a small brigade, but it's militant.

Rockmjd23
03-23-12, 11:10 AM
New Urbanism? You Philistine. It's all about New Pedestrianism.

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/4445/centreofradovish.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/centreofradovish.jpg/)

Tracer Bullet
03-23-12, 11:12 AM
New Urbanism? You Philistine. It's all about New Pedestrianism.

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/4445/centreofradovish.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/centreofradovish.jpg/)

Okay, we'll go with that, why not.

Troy Stiffler
03-23-12, 09:56 PM

That's what will happen if OBAMA is elected again.

RagingBull80
03-23-12, 10:24 PM
I always think that yeah, you have the right of way, but what good is that when you're dead?
I'm always saying some variation of this.

It bugs the shit out of me when a pedestrian darts out in front of me, giving me virtually no time to stop or swerve, and then gives me a dirty look.

Groucho
03-23-12, 10:34 PM
I would be happy if pedestrians at the super market left the store by walking straight, instead of at an angle which means cars have to wait 3-4 times as long for them to cross.

Buford T Pusser
03-24-12, 02:58 PM
We have a Point A to point B issue here.

Michael Corvin
03-24-12, 03:25 PM
I would be happy if pedestrians at the super market left the store by walking straight, instead of at an angle which means cars have to wait 3-4 times as long for them to cross.

:lol: I'll live with that if we could get these morons to drive the correct way down single lane angled lots.