Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : DVD is now 15 years old!

Alan Smithee
03-20-12, 08:23 PM
March 1997 was when the first DVD movies started appearing in stores. The very first ones were some Imax movies from Lumivision; Warner and MGM were test-marketing their first titles in only a few cities (I had a chance to buy some in the bay area, have been kicking myself ever since then for not doing so. At the time I was resentful of DVD for killing off laserdisc- I thought there was no chance of digital video ever looking as good as that, and figured DVD would still be a mess of compression only slightly better than Video CD.) There were a few players in stores several weeks before any actual discs were available, they played demo discs like this one:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bvVb3eT0HaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a website an early fan of DVD put up, he gave up on it a couple months before they came out because he was getting frustrated with the delays:

http://www.wiseacres.com/dvd.htm

After being assured by a fellow diehard laserdisc fan that DVD was actually good, I relented in 1998 and bought a Pioneer combo laserdisc/DVD player. I bought a 5.1 sound system right away, but didn't get a widescreen TV until 2010. I don't have too many of the original launch titles, except for a few Polygram discs in the much-hated Laserfile "Scratch-O-Matic" cases.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cbzVmUkEfEc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What was the very first DVDTalk post?

mike7162
03-20-12, 08:35 PM
I was skeptical of the new format as well, and I remember my friends thinking that LD was the apex of home video and that DVD would be a step backward! After finally relenting, my first DVD (1998) was Lifeforce (which, ironically, was virtually identical PQ wise to my laserdisc copy IMO!);once the magic kicked I was hooked, and 2600 titles later, I don't regret a single purchase!

RoadToPerdition
03-20-12, 08:58 PM
Hard to believe DVD's been around for more than half of my life.

I remember my first purchases: A co-worker at Blockbuster took me to BJ's Wholesale Club because they had good prices on DVDs and I got Deep Blue Sea and Creepshow for I think $19.99 each.

Norm de Plume
03-20-12, 09:02 PM
Oh, and I remember when it was still in diapers. How quickly they grow up.:(

Regulus
03-20-12, 09:22 PM
I got my first DVDs as Birthday Presants in 2002 (Spiderman 2 and Star Wars: Attack of the Clones were the first Movies I received) In December of that year A&E's Thunderbirds "Megaset" was the first TV Series I procured. Little did I know then that within four years these disks would totally affect how I would watch TV.

Ash Ketchum
03-20-12, 09:22 PM
It would be interesting to hear when people here bought their first DVD player and what DVD they first bought.

I bought a DVD of Tsui Hark's ZU WARRIORS OF THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN (for $12.50!) on Jan. 28, 2001, three days before buying my first DVD player, a Pioneer KV-102, code-free, at a Chinatown electronics store for $400. It still works and I still use it. When I bought the player, I bought two more DVDs, Sammo Hung's MILLIONAIRES' EXPRESS and Yuen Wo Ping's IRON MONKEY. In fact, it was the easy availability of Hong Kong classics at low prices on DVD that convinced me to buy a DVD player. That and the fact that anime DVDs were starting to contain both the English dub and Japanese language tracks and the anime distributors wanted to send me review copies on DVD.

The Lizard King
03-20-12, 09:26 PM
It would be interesting to hear when people here bought their first DVD player and what DVD they first bought.
Toshiba SD-1700 for $130 and Gladiator for $25. Both purchased at Best Buy.

TLK :cool:

BobO'Link
03-20-12, 09:40 PM
My first DVD player was my computer. I custom built a gaming system in '99 and made sure to include a DVD drive so I could both watch movies and be able to take advantage of what I felt would be applications distributed via DVD. The movie part worked but it was much later before DVD distribution of software became common, long after I replaced that system. The first DVD I purchased was Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition when it originally came out for around $25 (used a coupon on a sale). I first watched it on my computer (19" screen - a monster on computers in those days). The 2nd DVD I purchased was Batman - The Movie (1966). I'd gone to WM saw a copy for $5 so I got it since I like the film and thought I'd never see it that cheap again. I just knew it was on clearance since it was selling for so little! It was a couple of years and many DVDs later before I purchased my first stand alone DVD player, but I'd been watching on the TV for a while as the video card had both S-Video and composite video output capabilities so I ran A/V cables from the computer to the TV.

ernestrp
03-20-12, 09:41 PM
I bought a computer with a Dvd drive in late 98 or early 99. The first Dvd I bought was Carrie and it would not play with the Dvd player supplied with the computer. I was furious and called the place up where I bought the computer at and left a rather terse message to them. I ended up with a Reelmagic card for my computer, so I guess that would be my first dvd player.

tommyp007
03-20-12, 09:43 PM
The Matrix and an RCA bluray player, but I can't remember what year.

yoshimi
03-20-12, 09:45 PM
Not sure when I bought my first player but I know I bought Taxi Driver with it.

wishbone
03-20-12, 10:25 PM
The first DVD player I purchased was an Apex model but it did not have the secret menu screen (http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2000/06/37072). The first DVDs I purchased were This is Spinal Tap! and Austin Powers:&nbsp;&nbsp;The Spy Who Shagged Me. Player and DVDs were purchased in 2000.

The Apex player died at some point in 2002 so I bought a Sony player in time for the release of the theatrical DVD for The Lord of the Rings:&nbsp;&nbsp;The Fellowship of the Ring. I moved it to my computer desk last Christmas when I got a Sony Blu-ray player. It's been a fine DVD player. :up:

Like cassette tapes back in the day I didn't buy many movies on VHS due to the eventual wear when the tape was played. Laser discs were a bit beyond my reach so when DVD took off I started building my movie collection... and I guess I never looked back. :lol:

Gobear
03-20-12, 10:52 PM
I saw my first DVD in Seoul, South Korea in 1998. I was at the Golden Helmet bar where they played American movies on Sundays. The owner had just bought a DVD player and we watched Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. I found myself hypnotized by the menu.

When I moved back to the States, I bought my first player, a Panasonic, in July of 2000. I bought 2 DVDs with my machine: True Stories and Pink Floyd: The Wall.

mike07
03-20-12, 11:23 PM
My first player was a 19" Emerson TV/DVD/VCR combo back in the year 2000. Bought it when my favorite B&M video store (back when there were 3 B&M stores within a 6 block radius of my house) started renting DVDs. First DVD bought was a few years later, a start to my still growing movie collection, "K-9: P.I." Unfortunately, that TV has been long gone but I still own the DVD.

MLBFan24
03-20-12, 11:24 PM
I got my first dvd player in 2000 (Philips model) and got "The Rock" movie - my favorite movie.

Gizmo
03-20-12, 11:53 PM
First BD player was in '99 Apex 600a from Circuit City. Region Free and big as fuck.

Picked up several of the South Park 'Best of' DVDs, sex and the City and a few other random DVD titles.

Funny thing is, the Apex still runs while a few BD players I have don't.

EdTheRipper
03-21-12, 12:00 AM
First player was an Apex purchased for $60 from Circuit City back on October 18th, 2002. That same day I picked up Jason X, Changing Lanes, Insomnia, National Lampoon's Van Wilder and Scream. After that, I was off and running.

That Apex player actually made it all the way up until 2011 before finally shitting the bed. It outlasted a lot of other players I'd gotten as secondaries over the years.

Chad
03-21-12, 12:26 AM
My first DVD purchase was Tomorrow Never Dies SE with the silver case in December 1998:

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/c/05/b0/7d/1d_7.JPG

Picked up my first player the same day and that was a Philips Magnavox DVD420AT.

TomOpus
03-21-12, 12:43 AM
I was one of those that got into laserdiscs so it took a little while for me to jump on the DVD bandwagon. My first group of DVDs were bought in 1998 when I was with an ex-g/f so when we split, I let her keep all those and I don't have them listed anymore. When I look at DVDProfiler it lists my first one as Terminator 2 Ultimate in the metal case (not to be confused with the Extreme version with the case-ripping metal case).

Alan Smithee
03-21-12, 12:45 AM
What a bunch of late-comers! I bought Daylight at the same time I bought my player since the store had a very small selection of movies and this had a great sound track. Other first discs included Boogie Nights (was blown away that a 2 1/2 hour movie could be shown without interruption, on laserdisc you'd have to switch discs during the last hour!) The Wedding Singer (blown away that I could buy a movie released just that week for $19.99, you were lucky if you could find any recent movie on laserdisc for under $30!) and the first 3 South Park discs, which was the kind of thing I'd always wished they'd release on laserdisc but hardly anything like that was. And these were just the beginning.

I never got any of the early Universal discs in jewel cases, but I later got Sony's The Craft and The Fan in jewel case packaging on clearance, also grabbed Polygram's first releases of Fargo and Four Weddings and a Funeral on clearance just to have some of the first DVDs.

Remembered the excitement whenever a new studio started releasing DVDs- after I'd jumped in Paramount and Fox were still not releasing DVDs, then the next month they were exclusively releasing movies on DIVX. Paramount finally started releasing DVDs soon after (and eventually they'd flood the market with titles only to take many of them out of print after a few years!) Fox was the last major studio to join in, and there was a chorus of disapproval when their first titles included 4x3 letterbox discs with zero extras of Hope Floats and Home Alone 3 list priced at $34.99, keeping with their tradition of having among the highest-priced laserdiscs. (Even though I didn't get a widescreen TV until 2010, one of my friends had an early widescreen TV and I immediately learned to avoid DVDs that were not "16x9 enhanced"!)

One of the early threats of DVD was that 4x3 pan and scan would be the prevalent format for movies, and although there were a few close calls that didn't really happen. The worst was when studios started issuing separate "fullscreen" discs (Patch Adams was the first title to do this), most of which are now out of print. There was also the threat that new movies would be priced for rental the same as VHS, which meant they'd have a list price of around $90. Luckily that never happened either, even after movies stopped being released on VHS altogether.

For a long time the Holy Grail of DVD was Star Wars- of course when that finally happened, it didn't turn out too well.

Alan Smithee
03-21-12, 12:48 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S-vPeniFN08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DonnachaOne
03-21-12, 12:57 AM
Our first was a $250 Sony my brother bought for us. I worked at a Hollywood Video, and I got to borrow DVDs all the time; the very first DVD I actually bought was The Princess Bride.

Roybq
03-21-12, 01:00 AM
I can't remember my first DVD player except for the fact that I bought it Christmas of 97 and paid $500+ for it. I live in one of the "test" cities so it was pretty cool for myself to be one of the first adopters. My first disc was "Twister" and it was a treat to no longer have to flip the disc over to watch the movie. I remember flipper DVDs like "Goodfellas" but I don't think I actually purchased one. My family is amazed that I have such a huge collection of movies, but when you buy a few a month over 14 years, they tend to add up.

Alan Smithee
03-21-12, 01:07 AM
I avoided any movies you had to flip over, since dual-layer discs were already out by the time I got my player (first RSDL disc was Terminator 2; I think flipper movies included Seven, Goodfellas, A Time To Kill, Stargate, Sleepers, The Color Purple, Woodstock and Dawn of the Dead.)

Alan Smithee
03-21-12, 01:17 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sq946QU3DAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NSY5rVzsTBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alan Smithee
03-21-12, 01:21 AM
This one is about a year later- someone else uploaded this, sound is obviously downmixed but the actual disc this came from is 5.1:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hl48GdPaSVI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Valeyard
03-21-12, 01:28 AM
I was chomping at the bit to buy a DVD player in 1997. The second I first saw the format in action, I loved it! A few of my friends said not to jump in too early and wait out a year or two to see if the format survived. I waited about a year and half before buying my first player. Then I was hooked.

Alan Smithee
03-21-12, 01:45 AM
Some waited it out to see whether DIVX would take off or not. Remember Circuit City CEO Dick Sharp saying, in answer to the question "What about the people who already bought DVD players without DIVX capability?"- "Early adopters do take some risk, it's regrettable."

The real problem with the first generation of DVD players was they can't output DTS sound, thanks to the DVD Forum forcing the standard to be changed. (It was originally to have worked the same way it did on laserdiscs and audio CDs, but that would have produced noise on systems without DTS decoding.)

mrcellophane
03-21-12, 02:46 AM
My parents bought me a DVD player for Christmas in 2001. I was beside myself with happiness. It was at the top of my list that year after I went to a friend's house and watched a movie. I was blown away by the quality. My friend also explained the difference between widescreen and the limited pan-and-scan of my VHS tapes. Since I did not go to the movies for religious reasons, I had no real idea that "modified to fit your television" blurb really meant anything.

They also got a selection of DVDs that included Evita, My Fair Lady and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. (And they were still surprised when they found out I was gay.) Soon afterward, I joined ColumbiaHouse and really built up my collection.

That'sAllFolks
03-21-12, 03:09 AM
My first DVD player, I think, was a Sony 100 disc changer I got at Best buy for ... $800 -eek-. I do remember using a 10% coupon and actually asking the cashier to buy the protection plan (which I normally never do).

I had already bought several DVDs by the time I got my player. My first one was either Phenomenon that I bought at Computer City for 21.99 on 7/1/1999 or Doc Hollywood at Best Buy for 9.99 on 5/16/1999. (For the longest time I swore it was Phenomenon, but my DVD Profiler says otherwise --- if the dates are accurate). I still have a region free Apex that I have never opened, that must be over 10 years old by now.

I can't believe some of the prices I paid back then. The first wave of Disney releases cost me 21.99 each at Reel. I paid 18 bucks for some of the Star Trek films. There used to be a site called moviebargains or something like that that I discovered using Google. Someone on there mentioned DVD Talk and the rest is history. I quit collecting at the end of 2002 and when I came back I rejoined DVD Talk under a different name. That's why my "join" date is 2004.

I remember when Deep Discount DVD first started. I put in around a $500 order using their 10% coupons. When their 20% off sales started, I remember those threads being over 100 pages long. That is one thing I have noticed --- there is not near as much posting as there used to be. Even Blu-ray.com seems to get more enthusiastic responses than DVD Talk threads. For example their "Amazon GC" thread is 18 pages long. the DVD Talk thread is only 9 posts long in the Bargains section and 8 posts long in the Blu-ray Bargains. There's just a lot more action / enthusiasm at Blu-ray.com. Maybe we've just been around too damn long

The Bus
03-21-12, 06:13 AM
I got a DVD-ROM drive in 1998, and promptly bought <b>The Usual Suspects</b> (Polygram!). It was a flipper and I never replaced it.

Close to 700 DVDs later, and I never actually got around to buying a DVD player. I always used my PC, then a roommate's, then my console, then an HD-DVD player.

matome
03-21-12, 08:47 AM
I believe I actually had the first release discs before I could get my hands on a player. On 3/25/97 (New York was one of the test release markets of course) I picked up Glimmer Man, A Time To Kill and Space Jam from the now defunct The Wiz chain. I think a couple of weeks later I picked up the RCA 5200 player for like $600 and I was off!

Randy Miller III
03-21-12, 08:57 AM
First time I saw DVD was at a friend's house circa 1998, he was showing off The Matrix. I didn't actually buy my own player until a year or two later. It was a used Cambridge Soundworks model off of eBay, which set me back about $100. First movies I bought were <i>Three Kings</i> and Criterion's release of <i>Rushmore</i>.

rw2516
03-21-12, 08:58 AM
Bought my first player December 1997. Sony for $350(on sale). No DTS, no 5.1, no component, no progressive scan, does not play DVD-R or CD-R either.
Keeping it in original box, like new. Maybe be collector's item someday.

Indy24LA
03-21-12, 09:59 AM
I bought a RCA DVD player and Sleepy Hollow back in 2000 when I was still in LA.

ivelostr2
03-21-12, 10:17 AM
I was in college and taking film classes, so I talked my, then girlfriend, now wife into lending me the money to buy a PS2 to make writing papers easier...then I bought Stigmata and the 1992 Dracula...

Darkgod
03-21-12, 10:32 AM
I bought a Funai Model for $119 in 2002... first dvd was Phantasm for $9.99

Albert71292
03-21-12, 11:18 AM
My first player was a Fisher model from Sears that was $249 in 1999. Out of all the discs I've purchased over the years, can't remember what the first ones were. Still have them though, whichever ones they are!

milo bloom
03-21-12, 11:22 AM
My first DVD purchase was Tomorrow Never Dies SE with the silver case in December 1998:

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/c/05/b0/7d/1d_7.JPG

Picked up my first player the same day and that was a Philips Magnavox DVD420AT.

Same thing. I used Christmas money to buy it even before I had a DVD player because I thought it would be a collectible (still have it!). Our next three discs were the South Park single disc volumes. Once we got a DVD player in early 1999, we played the hell out of those four discs.

I think my first player was the Toshiba SD 2109, and I've had a handful of different players over the years.

We waited a bit to get into DVD because I was waiting for either Star Wars or Star Trek to be released. When they started releasing the Star Trek TOS 2 episode discs, I just knew Star Wars would be soon behind ( -rolleyes- ) so we dove in. (I still have all 40 of those old TOS discs).

joltman
03-21-12, 11:49 AM
My first DVD was Mallrats, which I got when it came out, and I believe I just had a DVD-Rom in a PC at the time.

majorjoe23
03-21-12, 11:50 AM
I bought my first player (A $90 something Orbitron) in the fall of 2000 at Walmart. Fight Club and Being John Malcovich were my first two discs.

ytrez
03-21-12, 12:24 PM
I used to scavenge SunCoast Videos' tiny widescreen section for properly formatted movies on VHS so I was a proponent of the DVD format from the get go. I was vehemently opposed to Circuit City's competing DIVX format and did everything I could to help it die. Got my first player in October 1997 and then jumped at the various coupons and offers from new sites like Reel.com and 800.com and ended up with tons of heavily discounted and free DVDs.

I've since moved almost exclusively to Blu-ray but I'll always love DVD for the cinematic exposure it has provided over the years.

Happy birthday, DVD!!!

Josh Z
03-21-12, 01:04 PM
My first player was a Toshiba. Don't remember the model number (may have been SD-2109?), but I know it was a second-generation unit because it supported DTS.

First DVD was Blade Runner.

I still have that silver-cover edition of Tomorrow Never Dies that Chad posted earlier in the thread. That worth anything? :)

orangerunner
03-21-12, 01:23 PM
I remember looking forward to DVD when it came out although I didn't actually get a player until 2003. The first DVD I got was The Rock in 1998 for a birthday gift.

DVD was, relatively speaking, not considered to be outrageously priced. I purchased a used Laserdisc player in 1995 for $300 and a VCR in 1997 was still about $200-$250. $350-$400 for a DVD player was resonable. Discs were $30 compared to Laserdisc which was usually $34.95 and up.

I still think that's where Blu-ray had an uphill battle. A Blu-ray player was $300 but a DVD player could be had for $20. Too wide a gap for too long.

Shannon Nutt
03-21-12, 03:07 PM
I was an early adopter...got a COMPAQ computer in 1997 with a DVD-ROM drive, and my first purchase (other than a sample skiing DVD that came with the computer) was AUSTIN POWERS. Bought my first stand-alone player in early 1998.

milo bloom
03-21-12, 03:18 PM
I still have that silver-cover edition of Tomorrow Never Dies that Chad posted earlier in the thread. That worth anything? :)

Ebay says between $9 and $37, but I think that's because all of the Bond movies are out of print, I believe.

dvdshonna
03-21-12, 03:19 PM
Was not thrilled with my first two DVD players. They were both around
$200 and they were junk. Constant freeze ups. Wouldn't play some rentals.
Neither of them lasted more than 6 months.

I think the format (atleast the players) were rushed to market before they
were ready.

Now I buy $40 dvd players and usually get 1 to 2 years before they die.
Everything seems like a bargain now. $40 players and used DVDs for $2

My only current complaint is with the new LCD TVs. Do any of these TVs
last more than 1 to 2 years?

--
http://buzzhonna.tumblr.com

critterdvd
03-21-12, 03:21 PM
I purchased my first DVD player after a summer of doing yard work my my parents, family and neighbors to save up enough money. I'm pretty sure it was August of 2001 (could have been 2000) when I bought my first player a Sharp for $230 from costco. The first discs I bought were "End of Days," "The World Is Not Enough" and "Heavy Metal".

Regulus
03-21-12, 03:26 PM
My only current complaint is with the new LCD TVs. Do any of these TVs
last more than 1 to 2 years?

I've had mine for a little over five years now.

dvdshonna
03-21-12, 03:37 PM
I can't believe some of the prices I paid back then. The first wave of Disney releases cost me 21.99 each at Reel.
I paid 18 bucks for some of the Star Trek films. .............

This is the one thing I've always been proud about. I remember standing in
front of the DVD display racks at Target (1998?) and every title was
$19.98 & up. I realized it would cost me well over $1,000 just to buy 50 DVDs.

So I refused to buy any DVDs until I could get them used for less than $10
The only exception, I bought "Apocalypto" for $15. It was an impulse buy
which I never repeated.

--

dvdshonna
03-21-12, 03:51 PM
I've had mine for a little over five years now.

That's really exceptional. Don't know anyone personally that has done
as well with their LCD TVs. It's not like I've done a survey. Mostly going
by reviews on the Walmart site. It seems like there are a lot of unhappy
people complaining about TVs, "dead on arrival", picture problems
or the screen going within 6 months, etc.

Anyway sounds like you got a really good buy.

--

Spottedfeather
03-21-12, 03:58 PM
My first player was in April 4th, 2001. It was an RCA (the model number escapes me) and the first dvd I ever got was Highlander 10th Anniversary Director's Cut. A little while later, I got the 5 free dvds that you'd get when you bought that particular player.

Fools Rush In
The Mask
Analyze This
Get Shorty
The Jackal

Regulus
03-21-12, 07:01 PM

--
Trading DVDs (https://sites.google.com/site/buzzhonna/)

That's because I didn't buy it from Walmart! :D

MBoyd
03-21-12, 07:30 PM
It was around the end of May 1999 pr the beginning of June maybe. Bought a Pioneer player at Best Buy out of loyalty to Pioneer's laserdisc years. Considered buying a combo player, but the reviews weren't that good. I'd planned to buy one of the high end LD players and use it with the DVD player but never did.

Fry's had a huge selection of movies So the same day I got my player I went over there and bought Austin Powers, 2001, and 5-6 more I don't remember.

Found dvdtalk, went coupon crazy and had an average of 3 movies a week sent to me that year I bet. Maybe more.

I keep trying to remember the name of that online media store that was opened by I want to say an ex-Disney exec. They sent out an apology coupon code to certain people for some mishap. The coupon code was the same for everyone and multi use. It got leaked on dvdtalk and usenet and everyone ordered DVDs at 50% off an already discounted price. Still cant believe the orders were honored. this all happened in June of '99. I had two huge orders myself.

Any old timers remember that stores name? It was shuttered within a year.

RayChuang
03-21-12, 07:49 PM
For a long time, I never bought a DVD player because players were pretty expensive for the good models (the cheap Apex models were for the most part junk). It wasn't until the spring of 2003 I finally bought a DVD player, one that I still use to this day: a Panasonic DVD-S35, which is connected to my 26" LCD TV in the kitchen using component video connections running in 480p mode.

(By the way, does anyone remember the furor nine years ago when DVD player manufacturers started to go away from the Faroudja DCDi de-interlacing technology for 480p video in favor of their own technologies? I remember the DVD-S35 as one of the first Panasonic models to offer 480p progressive scan component video not processed with the DCDi method, and all heck broke loose on multiple forums over this change.)

adrenaline78
03-21-12, 08:16 PM
My first dvd player was a sony. I want to say early-mid 98. I can't remember the model # and don't want to get up and look. It still works although since I bought the PS3 I don't use it anymore.

My first dvd was the Fifth Element that came in the CD size Jewel case. Still have it too.

Josh-da-man
03-21-12, 09:18 PM
My first player was a Toshiba I got at the tail end of 1998. Don't remember the model number; was it a 2008? Only had S-video and composite output.

The first DVD movie I bought was "Devil's Advocate" for $24.98. I got that one about four months before I got a player and paid retail for it because it was one of the original pressings, before they had to censor the statue.

By the time I got a DVD player, I had acquired about fifteen or DVDs so I had plenty of things to watch on it. I also eBay'ed the five free DVDs I got with my player (Lost in Space, City of Angels, Sphere, Perfect Murder, US Marshals) and was able to pay for a good chunk of my player that way. Hard to believe there was a time when people on eBay would actually pay more for DVDs on eBay than they sold for at Best Buy.

I actually used that same DVD player for ten years until I upgraded to an HDTV in 2008 when I got a Toshiba DVD-recorder that upconverts to 1080p, and a Sony blu-ray player a year or so later. I had been getting blu-rays before that, though, since I could watch on my girlfriend's PS3.

kd5
03-21-12, 10:12 PM
I was probably one of the last holdouts here to buy a DVD Player, I had a relatively (by my standards) large collection of VHS videos and was reluctant to make the change to DVD. I'm still using the first DVD/VHS Combo player I ever bought (Sony SLV-D550P), I've had it for several years now, it's still going strong (knock on wood). I'll probably be one of the last holdouts to make the change to a blu-ray player as well, as long as my DVD player holds out. If it ever dies I'll probably make the change but since I've already made the conversion once (from VHS to DVD) I probably won't do it again (to blu-ray).

To Mister Peepers: I know I don't have to convert my DVDs to blu-ray, no need to remind me...:D

I don't remember what the first DVD I ever bought was, I think it might have been the Ultimate Edition of Legend but I won't swear to it. -kd5-

milo bloom
03-21-12, 11:00 PM

--

Our Samsung LCD we got from Fry's will be, I think, 4 years old this summer. If it anything happens to it, it will be from being constantly moved around the house as my wife redoes the living room *yet again!* and I were to drop it.

And as for laserdisc, I actually bought into that well after I got into DVD. I wanted things like the original Star Wars films and a few other things, and for a while you could get LD players dirt cheap at any pawn shop. It seems like the supply has dried up a bit, but then just a few weekends ago I scored a Pioneer CLD-D503 for $6.99 at Goodwill, and then sold off my old 201 plus a few discs for more than that. Just need to find a remote and I'm good to go.

darkhawk
03-21-12, 11:07 PM
I remember when I first saw dvds in Florida. I was a taxi driver and stopped to look in a Montgomery Wards for their VHS tapes. I walked by and saw their showroom where they keep new furniture and tvs. I glanced in and saw 4 Sony dvds and a player in a glass case. I saw Jumanji, Legend of the Fall, Fly Away Home and (I don't remember the 4th one.) I was excited and stopped buying vhs tapes. The players were too expensive at the time. I started buying 1 or 2 dvds at a time without a player just to replace the vhs tapes I owned. When I hear that Men in Black was coming out later the next year, I started saving to buy a player just to get it. Even though MIB was delayed, I still bought the player.

bboisvert
03-21-12, 11:16 PM
At the time I was resentful of DVD for killing off laserdisc- I thought there was no chance of digital video ever looking as good as that, and figured DVD would still be a mess of compression only slightly better than Video CD.)

I felt the same way. LD was just starting to scrape the barrel (in a *good* way) and put out great editions of obscure stuff.

I was worried that DVD was going to hit the reset button -- and the quality of most initial titles was LD at best... and sometimes below that standard. I definitely saw it as the end of a good thing.

A couple of years later, it was pretty clear that it was the start of an *amazing* thing. :)

orangerunner
03-21-12, 11:25 PM
I remember when I first saw dvds in Florida. I was a taxi driver and stopped to look in a Montgomery Wards for their VHS tapes. I walked by and saw their showroom where they keep new furniture and tvs. I glanced in and saw 4 Sony dvds and a player in a glass case. I saw Jumanji, Legend of the Fall, Fly Away Home and (I don't remember the 4th one.) I was excited and stopped buying vhs tapes. The players were too expensive at the time. I started buying 1 or 2 dvds at a time without a player just to replace the vhs tapes I owned. When I hear that Men in Black was coming out later the next year, I started saving to buy a player just to get it. Even though MIB was delayed, I still bought the player.

Yeah, I seem to remember Jumanji, Legends of the Fall, Single White Female and In the Line of Fire being the first DVDs I saw for sale.

I also recall Universal titles like Backdraft being sold in CD jewel cases as well.

Alan Smithee
03-22-12, 01:13 AM
"The Mask" was the first DVD to have an audio commentary (originally recorded for laserdisc, of course!) The first porno on DVD was "Bobby Sox" from Vivid (which I have on Video CD, not too exciting. Interestingly it was also issued on laserdisc, not too many Vivid titles were.) I think Eric Clapton Unplugged and REM's Road Movie were the first music discs.

First 2-disc set was Metallica's Cunning Stunts, first multi-disc set was From The Earth to the Moon, first DVD-18 (2 sided with dual layer on both sides) was The Stand (sadly reissued as 2 1-sided discs later.) First movie to be issued a 2nd time on DVD (to be later known as a 'double-dip') was Animal House, first issued in 4x3 with no extras, then as a special edition in 16x9.

Anyone have the funny cases Disney used for their first releases (which were 4x3 transfers of George of the Jungle and Homeward Bound, both of which were letterboxed on LD)? They were white and shaped slightly different than a regular keepcase, I think they were wider and a bit thinner. Wondering what they looked like inside. I never got any of their discs when they had the red stickers outside saying "Special Features Include: Chapter Search". They weren't doing 16x9 til much later, and were among the highest priced. Warner's first discs had a silver sticker on the outside with the WB shield and listing special features like "Widescreen and Standard Versions", multiple languages and theatrical trailers. I cut out and saved those, as I always have done with media that includes such stickers. Most of New Line's earlier discs said on the back cover: "It's more than just the movie!" The VERY first Sony titles in keepcases had a small sticker inside explaining how to remove and replace the disc- I have a demo disc which shows one, but never got a case with that in it. (Who decided to call them keepcases anyways?) Universal's jewel cases also had cardboard slips, similar to Philips' VideoCD movies. Wish I had grabbed one of them when I had the chance.

Remembered that PolyGram was going to release "Portrait of a Lady" as a rental-priced disc, but as far as I know that didn't actually happen. And let's not forget the lowest-priced and fastest-produced disc, President Clinton's Grand Jury Testimony, sold by Netflix for 2 cents plus about 2 bucks shipping- need to find time to watch that again.

Internet retailers that came along selling cheap DVDs included Reel, Shopping.com, Bigstar, 800.com Buy.com and DVDExpress. I'm sure there were others I'm forgetting. Ironically I couldn't take advantage of many of those deals since I had spent a fortune on my player and sound system along with my TV which wasn't fully paid for, and took about a year to pay it all off. (Word to the wise- don't buy stuff on credit totaling several times more than what you have in your bank account!)

JCWBobC
03-22-12, 08:18 PM
I can't remember when I bought my first DVD player but I know it was in January because I remember it was in the middle of a massive snow storm. I'm thinking it was 1999 because the prices had started to come down on DVD players to around $399. I bought a Toshiba at 6th Ave. on Route 4 in NJ and as soon as we got in the car I opened the box to look at the instructions and there were food stains and someone had written in it. We turned right around and took it back. The manager made a big deal about walking around the box to check it out and told me he had no idea how it happened, well first he suggested that the food stains happened in the factory but they I also mentioned how the remote had the batteries in it. He ended up giving me a better model and a free DVD so I got Disturbing Behavior with Katie Holmes for free.

Before DVDs were released I had been reading all the electronic and video magazines so I made my boss, I managed a video store at that time, order the first 20-30 titles that were released. I don't really remember which ones they were but I remember customer's asking what they were and having to describe them. The funny part is people would bring them to the counter without knowing what they were or owning a DVD player. The store went out of business in 1999 so I grabbed a bunch of titles and we sold the rest. When we only had about 20 left a customer asked me to hold them for him while he ran to the ATM to get money for them and he didn't even own a DVD player but we were only selling them for around $5 barely used.

The oldest title I found in my discs is The Usual Suspect from 1996. It's in aplastic case with a black pull out piece at the bottom but nothing to hold the disc in place. I know I ordered Austin Powers and Wild Things when I bought my player so those are probably the first two I actually paid for but I had been watching the store DVDs since they were first released.

JCWBobC
03-22-12, 08:22 PM
On a related note does anyone remember a DVD web site where they would give away a free DVD every month or every other month? I still have the original Night of the Living Dead DVD and some others but I can't remember the name of the site.

Update:

I just checked the discs and on the back side it says "Total Movie & InsideDVD content" so it must have been InsideDVD. Anyone remember all the titles they gave away?

milo bloom
03-22-12, 08:50 PM
On a related note does anyone remember a DVD web site where they would give away a free DVD every month or every other month? I still have the original Night of the Living Dead DVD and some others but I can't remember the name of the site.

Update:

I just checked the discs and on the back side it says "Total Movie & InsideDVD content" so it must have been InsideDVD. Anyone remember all the titles they gave away?

Didn't Total Movie also do those discs that were full of trailers and short films? I have two like that, one of them has the Star Wars fan film Troops.

JCWBobC
03-22-12, 09:28 PM
I think so but I don't know what happened to my discs of those.

Alan Smithee
03-22-12, 10:05 PM
That free disc was originally called VersaDisc, then InsideDVD, then took over Total Movie when the first owners of that went bust and soon went bust themselves soon afterwards. I never got the first 2 (one included the movie "Telling Lies in America", I forget what the other had) even though I had sent for them. The first one I got had "Infinity" with Matthew Broderick and I got all the rest after that. Quality on those was awful, and tons of spelling errors in the menus and such. The last "Total Movie" had a pan and scan copy of "Species" with awful mono sound that seemed like it had been processed in some way- hollow is how I'd describe it. They said they'd be including other MGM titles in their further issues, but that was their last one.

Another interesting memory is how early the budget video companies got into DVD, many before Fox and Paramount did. The first cheapo DVD I bought was Metropolis from Madacy for about 9 bucks, it made me laugh seeing a stretch mark from the analog master tape! I bought a number of Simitar titles (they were the first DVD label to go out of business, by the way) from Circuit City just because I couldn't believe they were selling for $4.99. Many of them I still haven't watched yet. I used to pick up EVERY DVD priced under 5 bucks, but I'd be out of shelf space if I still did that, and $5 actually seems high now for a DVD after being spoiled by Big Lots' $3 discs!

I still think in terms of laserdisc prices however, and will usually gladly pay anything under $30 for something I really want, especially if it's on Blu-Ray.

IDrinkMolson
03-22-12, 10:43 PM
1st "player" I owned came with a DELL PC I bought in 1999. Then I got a Sony theater in a box 5 disc changer.
1st movie was Eyes Wide Shut (rental)
Didn't buy anything until Complete Superman Collection.

davidh777
03-23-12, 12:36 AM
First DVD player was a Sony in summer of 1999 for about $349. I was a minor VHS collector at the time (LA Confidential, Con Air) but I stopped buying those when I realized I was going to get a DVD player.

As I just posted in the other thread (do you still own your first DVD?), my first purchase was Casablanca (MGM), LA Confidential (snapper), Seven Samurai (Criterion), and Ran (Fox Lorber). I also got Lost in Space, The Devil's Advocate, and something else with my player.

Still remember the glory days of price wars among DVD Express, Reel, and Amazon. Got Titanic from Reel for 50% off plus a free copy of The Shining (which I still haven't watched and later got in the Kubrick box). Piled up the Criterions when all pre-orders were 40% off.

Rexxriot
03-23-12, 12:43 AM
If I remember correctly, InsideDVD was free, then when they became Total Movie, it was $40 for a year subscription. I believe that when you signed up, you were supposed to get like 20 double sided DVDs with probably public domain movies. I never got them and mostly forgot about it until this thread.

d2cheer
03-23-12, 02:12 PM
Toshiba SD something purchased in Dec of 1999 same month I joined here. First DVD was the Anchor Bay LE 2 DVD set of Army of Darkness. Actually had that before I bought my player.

Got 5 free movies with it like Stepmother...can't remember the rest.

Dean Kousoulas
03-23-12, 08:32 PM
A local department store was giving away 2 free movies with the purchase of an RCA DVD player back in June of 1998, so I picked up Hoodlum and Air Force One, both of which I still own today. The DVD player died a long time ago.

Oh, the money I wasted on barebones releases back in the day...

zyzzle
03-23-12, 11:30 PM
DVD is older than 15 years. Some DVDs were released in Japan in 1996. The MPEG2 compression codec has been around nearly 20 years now! (late '93-early '94)

This brings back memories. I, too was skeptical of DVD's quality, based on the video-CDs I had seen. In March / April 1997, I saw the DVD demos at Frys and actually could have purchaed some of the first titles ($19.95 each!). I remember thinking that the slow camera pans in the demo were intentional because fast camera movement would certainly show the inferiority of the MPEG 2 compression compared to non-compressed Analog. As a longtime LD owner (Pioneer CLD-704, yeah!), I didn't give in until 2000 when I got a Toshiba DVD player from 800.com (I think?) for $159.

I had actually purchased my first DVD a year before at Ken Cranes. It was Anchor Bay's IMPULSE (1984). Talk about an impulsive buy!

UAIOE
03-24-12, 12:52 AM
My first DVD player was/is a Sony DVP-530D. I got it for xmas 1999 and it still works. $290 after employee discount.

The first movie I owned was "The Matrix", but the first I watched was "American Pie". I just remember being totally blown away that a movie was available to own six months after being in theaters.

Alan Smithee
03-24-12, 10:17 PM
The first Panasonic demo disc includes a very fast-moving clip from "Twister" (in 4x3 pan and scan) that looked incredibly awful in the stores I saw it at. I thought they were brave to include a clip like that which showed off the format's shortcomings so easily. Most of the video footage shot for the disc had very little motion. When I got ahold of that disc and watched it at home, I have to say the "Twister" clip didn't look so bad however.

I remember buying Twister on laserdisc for 15 bucks (a low price at the time) from a Blockbuster that was clearing out their LDs in favor of DVDs, and I was extremely angry that they would do that. I'd heard of some stores dumping LDs even BEFORE DVD had come out, but they were that sure DVD was going to kill it off. I actually have more of the early DVD titles on laserdisc than I do on DVD. Ironically Twister was one of the first DVD titles, but was also one of the last HD-DVDs released (and one of the few that I don't have as I haven't been able to find it very cheap.)

The Matrix was the first DVD to sell over a million copies. Kind of funny seeing it in stores now, is there anyone out there who hasn't bought it yet that still wants it?

dvdshonna
03-26-12, 01:24 AM
The first Panasonic demo disc includes a very fast-moving clip from "Twister"

I had forgotten about the "Twister" demo. First time I saw a DVD player on display,
and it had those digital "blocks" or "squares" you sometime see on fast moving
pictures.

Thinking back, I believe that "Twister" demo had a lot to do with me holding off on the DVD
format for a few years. Did anyone actually look at that demo before they released it for
public display?

--

DonnachaOne
03-26-12, 01:34 AM
The Matrix was the first DVD to sell over a million copies. Kind of funny seeing it in stores now, is there anyone out there who hasn't bought it yet that still wants it?
Had the sequels not almost completely destroyed that film's legacy and continued place in pop culture, it might still be something people constantly watch, buy, and recommend. The first film is still great stuff.

brayzie
03-26-12, 03:11 AM
I started hearing about DVD players around 2000-2001. I went to Circuit City and they had the original Nosferatu on DVD for only $19.99. I was thinking this was awesome for some reason, even though for years you could buy it on VHS at Thrifty's for $4.

Anyways, I saw that they had all these special features like documentaries, commentaries, etc, so that sealed the deal for someone like me. I also thought the format and amaray cases looked slick.

The store guy recommended a Panasonic over the Sony. The first DVD I bought for it was The Crow Collector's Edition. The menu screen seemed so cool at the time, and TWO DISCS!

From then on I was spending all my money on DVDs. The Crow Collector's Edition, Akira barebones edition, THE KILLER (best DVD I own), A Better Tomorrow, Hardboiled, T2 Ultimate Edition, were bought in those order.

Unlike VHS I never rented DVDs thinking that the scratched up discs would somehow ruin my player. I would just buy what I wanted to watch.

Seeing The Terminator Special Edition with its foil cover at Wherehouse seemed like the best DVD ever. The menu screen was awesome and even my cousin was wow'd by it.

My experience with DVDs peaked when I bought Blade Runner The Final Cut 4-disc set. A work of art, with an amazing set of special features and great menu design.

RoadToPerdition
03-27-12, 08:03 PM
15 years later and they still haven't solved the problem of floaters.

davidh777
03-27-12, 08:06 PM

I have the snapper DVD and the HD DVD set; have been debating the BD set for a while now

Xiroteus
03-29-12, 04:22 AM
December 2004 because overall prices where not as insane as they were before and used prices were finally better, funny thing that just seven years later I can now get used blu-rays cheaper then I got used DVDs back then, prices did start dropping fast. Even these days I rarely go past ten dollars for a movie.

Regulus
03-29-12, 09:21 AM
December 2004 because overall prices where not as insane as they were before and used prices were finally better, funny thing that just seven years later I can now get used blu-rays cheaper then I got used DVDs back then, prices did start dropping fast. Even these days I rarely go past ten dollars for a movie.

In August of 2004 I went "Totally DVD" for the first time, and it wasn't voluntary. Hurricane Francis had just roared across Florida, the Cable Reception was out for nearly two weeks. I took out $100.00 and purchased a dozen movies on DVD to tide me over until service was restored. It hit me, it was fun watching TV without any Commercials, which had gotten pretty insane in 2004, but nowhere near what was about to happen over the next couple of years. Fortunately by then, prices of DVDs of Movies and TV Shows had dropped to the point where I could shift my entertainment expenses to them from Pay-TV. My Signature bears Testimony to how well I've done since then!

UAIOE
03-31-12, 12:17 AM

I remember when it came out on DVD, that was pretty much the "must own" movie of late 1999. It was like that was the required purchase when you picked up a DVD player.