Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Insignia NS-BRDVD4 is Having Issues Playing Recent Anchor Bay Blu-rays

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the title states, my Insignia NS-BRDVD4 is having issues playing recent Blu-ray titles like Let Me In and Battle Royale that choked and couldn't get to the title screen. I was able to play Let Me In after about an hour of troubleshooting, unplugging the player might have helped it, but it barely made it to the title screen. I had no issue playing The King's Speech. Overall, the player usually does quite well, but this issue is irksome. The player is known to have some issues, such as 'deep color' mode flickering the picture and BD-live having issues when disconnected from the internet. Can anyone report similar stories of this player or others regarding Anchor Bay titles choking up on boot? The BR theatrical cut disc is the one that choked up for me tonight.

I have no internet connectivity to it, because the current firmware tries to remove the region-free capabilities. It is plugged in via HDMI to the HDTV, with a digital optical output to a 5.1 Samsung theater system for sound. I know it is not perfect, but it usually works to put out a decent picture and lossy audio.

Firmware or booting issues on the player's behalf seem the most suspect, but any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-12, 07:43 AM

Re: Insignia NS-BRDVD4 is Having Issues Playing Recent Anchor Bay Blu-rays

Usually, when a player won't play newer movies, it needs a firmware update.
Old 03-21-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a BRDVD3 and have no problems with playing Anchor Bay titles.
Old 03-21-12, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by emoxley
Usually, when a player won't play newer movies, it needs a firmware update.
Yeah, I'm thinking similar, but the main draw of the player is full region-free capabilities on DVDs and BDs, and the most up-to-date firmware outright nixes it...

Strange the NS-BRDVD3 has no issues. One thing worth mentioning is the fact that my player also seems to occasionally do hard resets on start-up, making me have to re-do the region code, but the settings seem to stay everywhere else. Maybe these little issues have something to do with all the refurbs available.
Old 03-21-12, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by vivafriend5
Yeah, I'm thinking similar, but the main draw of the player is full region-free capabilities on DVDs and BDs, and the most up-to-date firmware outright nixes it...
Does the notes on the firmware update tell you this? I ask because if the player came from the factory as a region-free player, a firmware update shouldn't affect that.

It sounds like you got a bad player, with the problems you've mentioned (doing hard resets). Have you had it too long to return it? Is it still under warranty? If so, call Insignia about it.
Old 03-22-12, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by emoxley
Does the notes on the firmware update tell you this? I ask because if the player came from the factory as a region-free player, a firmware update shouldn't affect that.

It sounds like you got a bad player, with the problems you've mentioned (doing hard resets). Have you had it too long to return it? Is it still under warranty? If so, call Insignia about it.
It's established in the various online communities that the update does away with it. There's even saved firmware data for a USB drive for reverting back to the previous versions available to make it region-free.

I honestly don't think the player was ever guaranteed to be region-free, but I should probably scrutinize the manual before I make such a statement and see if there's any mention of that or my issues in troubleshooting. It seems it just so happened the player could be set to do as such without tinkering and people caught on.

The warranty lapsed in November and it's mine as-is forever. It's a strange thing and I hope it doesn't falter too much more. I should contact Insignia. I hope they don't give me the "update the firmware" suggestion and leave it at that. Boy, what a pickle.