Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Randy Rhoads: 30 Years Gone

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the death of one of hard rock and heavy metal’s true guitar heroes, Randy Rhoads. Rhoads, who found massive success with Ozzy Osbourne’s first solo band back in 1980, after starting his career in an early version of Quiet Riot, died on March 19, 1982, a victim of a plane crash accident deep in the state of Florida while on tour with Ozzy. His death propelled him into the same vanguard as other legendary guitarists who also had their careers cut short by tragedy, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Duane Allman and of course, Jimi Hendrix. But like those guitarists, it wasn’t just the fact that Randy Rhoads dying young cemented his and their legendary status. They were all well on their way to the pantheon of musical genius while still alive. But by dying young, all of them suddenly elevated into a “frozen in time” moment, a moment in which the possibilities of growing old and possibly tame, eluded them all.

Rhoads’ legend runs so deep within the music community, it’s very easy to forget he only recorded two albums with Ozzy — Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, both of which released in the United States in 1981. But the influence spread far and wide to burgeoning and established axe-smiths all across the world, not unlike what fellow guitar shredder Eddie Van Halen had done only a few years earlier. Bands as diverse as Metallica, Pantera, Lynch Mob, Night Ranger, Rage Against the Machine, and guitarists such as Yngwie Malmsteen and John Petrucci, have all cited Rhoads as a major influence, akin to what the great early 20th Century guitarists of the past, Charlie Christian and Django Reinhardt, did to pioneer their instrument for early rock and roll and jazz music, respectively.

Randy RhoadsWith a blinding speed and a pyrotechnic sonic fervor that flew like a blazing comet across the musical landscape, the power of Rhoads’ work is stunning. That he achieved so much success and spread an influence so wide at such a young age, (he was only 25 years old when he died) and with such a small amount of recorded material, is in itself an amazing feat. Possibly best remembered for the Ozzy staples “Crazy Train” and “Mr. Crowley” (both on Blizzard of Ozz), Rhoads took what Ozzy had done in his previous band, Black Sabbath, and turned it inside out, no mean feat in itself. With his bone-crunching riffs, on top of walls of sound that would shake and rattle one’s teeth and soul, Rhoads played his V-neck guitar like no one before or since and legions of fans to this day still try in earnest to capture the tones, attitude, and attack set forth by Rhoads, who in essence led a musical revolution he never even got a chance to witness ultimately due to that terrible day 30 years ago.

Randy Rhoads’ legacy will never be forgotten. Today is a day of mourning and remembering a sad tragedy for sure, but it can also be one of celebration. Radio stations, CD players, iPod’s, streaming radio websites, and MP3 players all around the world today should be blasting the one-two punch of this master, who will always remain timeless in the leather-clad, long-haired, fist-in-the-air minds of millions of heavy metal and hard rock fans globally. It’s important to reflect and grieve for sure, but even more important to celebrate the young legend by remembering what got him to these well deserved platitudes to begin with — his amazing and breathtakingly original approach to a genre that sometimes easily gets dismissed as a sonic dinosaur. For Randy Rhoads, he showed that a bit of flash, ingenuity, and sincere talent can make any genre rise unto itself.

RIP to Randy and raise a glass of ale with me and let’s toast the master. Now crank those records as loud as you can! Your neighbors will understand, they’ll have no choice…

RIP – Randy Rhoads
December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982
Old 03-19-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Randy Rhoads: 30 Years Gone

I remember when this happened. I lived in Florida back then and the accident was all over the local rock stations. And it was an accident that should not have happened because it was entirely due to the pilot doing some dangerous horsing around in trying to buzz the band's tour bus with the plane and accidentally clipping the bus with a wing, causing them to crash.
Old 03-19-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was a huge fan, and vividly remember reading about his death. It doesn't seem possible that was three decades ago. RIP.
Old 03-19-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had various pictures on my locker door in high school(back in the 80's) but one never changed in all my years there. At the top of the door the one of Randy.
Old 03-19-12, 10:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Diary of a Madman has some of the most amazing guitar work I've ever heard to this day. I always wondered what Rhoads would have gone on to do had he lived. RIP.
Old 03-20-12, 06:46 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw him on the Diary tour shortly before he died. Such a talent. Such a tragically short life.
Old 03-22-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Randy was a metal master. His solo work on Blizzard of Ozz is phenomenal, especially on Mr. Crowley and Mother Earth (Revelation).

Like Dimebag, it's shame we'll never get to see how far he could have gone, though Randy was certainly taken much too soon.
Old 03-22-12, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I always wondered where he'd be today. I suspect he'd be out of metal entirely, or at the very least straddling it the way Skolnick does. Most likely he would be a full time classical guitarist, our generation's Andres Segovia.