DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Chernobyl Diaries -- script by Oren Peli -- 5/25/12

Osiris3657
03-16-12, 07:59 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pq47T48u8Zo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Director Bradley Parker's debut feature
Script by Oren Peli
Plot: Follows a group of friends who, while vacationing in Europe, find themselves stranded in the abandoned city only to discover that they are not alone.

GoldenJCJ
03-16-12, 08:06 PM
I'm down for it as long as they don't use too much of the "found footage" angle.

I've always found the abandoned Chernobyl area to be fascinating and I have heard stories that it is haunted. Syfy's Destination Truth had an episode where they went to Chernobyl and they seemed to run into a lot of creepy stuff.

Now I'm off to play Call of Duty 4...

PopcornTreeCt
03-16-12, 09:54 PM
Oh fuck, not this shit again. Chernobyl deserves better than Peli.

Osiris3657
03-16-12, 10:17 PM
I'm happy it's not a found footage type. I got a "The Descent" vibe while watching the trailer

SethDLH
03-16-12, 10:25 PM
Title got me interested. Plot description kept me interested enough. Writer has me wanting to never see it.

Why So Blu?
03-16-12, 11:02 PM
Oh fuck, not this shit again. Chernobyl deserves better than Peli.

As opposed to who? Obviously no one else was interested in Chernobyl.

SethDLH
03-16-12, 11:43 PM
As opposed to who? Obviously no one else was interested in Chernobyl.

Yea, obviously. No one. Thankfully the only person on Earth interested got it made.

JumpCutz
03-17-12, 12:43 AM
Yea, obviously. No one. Thankfully the only person on Earth interested got it made.

:lol:

Hopefully all those fucking annoying tourists in the trailer get killed.

..and PLEASE DEAR GOD no sequels.

Maxflier
03-17-12, 03:35 AM
Such a perfect setting for a horror flick. Looking forward to this one :thumbsup:

TomOpus
03-17-12, 10:11 AM
..and PLEASE DEAR GOD no sequels.Chernobyl Diaries: RADder and Badder

Get it? Rads... and in units of radiation absorption :D

Okay, I got nuttin'....

Solid Snake
03-21-12, 12:51 PM
The location of Chernobyl seems like a very cool idea to have a story set there. Trailer did nothing for me.

Goat3001
03-21-12, 02:12 PM
I'm in because like everyone else I think the setting is cool. And if it sucks, hey, it's not like someone else can't make a movie set in Chernobyl.

Drexl
03-21-12, 11:18 PM
The location of Chernobyl seems like a very cool idea to have a story set there. Trailer did nothing for me.

A STALKER movie would be pretty cool.

bluetoast
03-21-12, 11:32 PM
Check out the Vice Guide to Travel on Netflix...they have a Chernobyl segment. Unfortunately it's only like 10 minutes long and spoiler alert, they don't encounter any mutants like they wanted.

Solid Snake
03-21-12, 11:35 PM
Hmmm?

bluetoast
03-21-12, 11:36 PM
Was that for me?

SuckaMC
03-22-12, 12:33 AM
Love the setting. I'm in.

FRwL
03-22-12, 12:54 AM
HaunteD? WHOA

Solid Snake
03-22-12, 09:59 AM
Was that for me?

that was for Drexl. Stalker as in I'm stalking you to kill you?

SuckaMC
03-22-12, 02:18 PM
STALKER is a PC game set at Chernobyl after a second explosion. Great game.

Rival11
03-22-12, 02:31 PM
A Peli horror film.............obviously, I want to see this.

Tarantino
03-22-12, 03:01 PM
Looks pretty freaky, but not something I'll see in the theater.

Osiris3657
05-24-12, 07:30 AM
Anyone seeing this this weekend? No reviews on RT yet...that must mean they aren't screening for critics. Never a good sign.

EdTheRipper
05-24-12, 08:24 AM
I'll catch it at a matinee early next week.

Mr. Cinema
05-24-12, 10:47 PM
Still not a single review posted. Usually at least a site like Bloody Disgusting has a review up by now. Definitely not a great sign.

My Other Self
05-24-12, 11:29 PM
Still not a single review posted. Usually at least a site like Bloody Disgusting has a review up by now. Definitely not a great sign.I wonder if all the hoopla with the Chernobyl victims group is giving the studio and producers has anything to do with it.

mdc3000
05-25-12, 03:00 AM
Lots of atmosphere and decent sound design but you've seen this movie before - done better. Thin characters, loose plot and owes a ton to Hills Have Eyes and Blair Witch. Not horrendous but I was hoping for more from an R rated horror flick - pretty tame overall with mild gore and strong language. The girls were real lookers but no nudity. 2.5/5

Osiris3657
05-25-12, 08:12 AM
I plan on seeing a matinee showing today.

Mr. Cinema
05-25-12, 09:50 AM
There's a few reviews up on RT. But the negatives are the same. The characters are stupid and keep doing stupid things to get themselves killed. I'll wait for video.

TomOpus
05-25-12, 11:45 AM
There's a few reviews up on RT. But the negatives are the same. The characters are stupid and keep doing stupid things to get themselves killed. Isn't that part of the "charm" in watching movies that do that? People seem to love to yell at the screen "Why are you doing that?" "Why are you going in there?" "What's wrong with you people?"

FRwL
05-25-12, 01:32 PM
The reason is if you are ever in that situation you would think you are Ash from Evil Dead in the making and have to go through the "hoops" like this.

Solid Snake
05-25-12, 01:41 PM
Isn't that part of the "charm" in watching movies that do that? People seem to love to yell at the screen "Why are you doing that?" "Why are you going in there?" "What's wrong with you people?"

I hate those cliches. I want more uniqueness in my horror. Can't things unfold in a more "original" manner you'd think if you were the storyteller.

Maxflier
05-26-12, 10:18 PM
Saw it today and really enjoyed it. It was exactly what I expected it to be, very tense horror flick.
And the blonde chick in it is SUPER hot by the way.

TomOpus
05-26-12, 11:21 PM
I hate those cliches. I want more uniqueness in my horror. Can't things unfold in a more "original" manner you'd think if you were the storyteller.What other ways would you use to get a theater full of people involved? What would be unique that hasn't been used before? And I am only talking about this type of horror movie, not horror in general.

Osiris3657
05-27-12, 04:43 AM
I saw this today and I will admit I enjoyed it. Thought it had good tension. Big thumbs up to the production design, they sold it well enough to where it looked like they filmed it on location in Pyriat itself (turns out filming took place in Serbia and Hungary). The girl I saw it with joked that they must have filmed in Detroit. Thought that was pretty funny, she may be a keeper haha.

The characters may have been stupid, but I thought the acting was pretty good.

Worth at least a rental I think.

LiquidSky
05-28-12, 08:18 PM
Nice creepy atmosphere. I was entertained.

EdTheRipper
05-30-12, 03:44 PM
Saw this today. Liked it quite a bit. Like others have said, the locations really added a lot to the creepy factor. And prior to the end credits, I had no idea that Jesse McCartney was in this. Guess he's given up on the singing career.

Patman
05-30-12, 03:57 PM
Just avoid this film, it's loaded with fairly annoyingly dumb characters who are in Russia, go on a guided tour near Chernobyl (why?), even if the female characters are easy on the eyes. If shaki-cam gets you nauseous, then avoid this film too.

I give it 1 star, or a grade of D.

SuckaMC
05-30-12, 04:06 PM
Why? I would tour Chernobyl if I had the chance. Fascinating history and a virtual time capsule. I still wanna see this. Will probably have to wait for the blu.

Osiris3657
05-30-12, 04:14 PM
You actually can tour Chernobyl, google it. Also it's in the Ukraine, not Russia.

Maxflier
05-30-12, 04:25 PM
go on a guided tour near Chernobyl (why?),

Are you joking? Chernobyl would be one of the coolest places I could think of to explore.

EdTheRipper
05-30-12, 04:33 PM
Are you joking? Chernobyl would be one of the coolest places I could think of to explore.

Agreed. I actually mentioned that to my wife on the drive home.

Quack
05-30-12, 05:16 PM
I kinda thought it could have been a cool plot twist if Uri had been one of the doctors with the mask on at the end, sort of thought one of them looked like him too. Never saw what happened to Chris either did we? We saw the ring, but that's it right?

JayDerek
05-30-12, 05:58 PM
Quack> you are correct

Rival11
05-30-12, 06:19 PM
How would you guys compare this to paranormal acitivity scare wise? I mean, I know he didn't direct CD but since he had a part.....just curious.

SuckaMC
05-31-12, 12:53 AM
When I was in the army we got deployed to support an Apache gunnery range in Hungary. I got to explore an abandoned Soviet era military base. It was one of the creepiest, coolest, interesting things I got to do. So this movie is definitely relevant to my interests.

EdTheRipper
05-31-12, 06:45 AM
How would you guys compare this to paranormal acitivity scare wise? I mean, I know he didn't direct CD but since he had a part.....just curious.

I think the PA flicks are scarier, but I always find paranormal stuff to be the thing that creeps me out the most.

JayDerek
05-31-12, 11:50 AM
I agree in that the PA movies are a lot scarier.

The setting in CD is cool, but the characters do really really stupid things. I know that's a bit par for the course with these kind of movies, but I guess it just bugged me more in this.

Maxflier
05-31-12, 02:55 PM
I agree in that the PA movies are a lot scarier.

The setting in CD is cool, but the characters do really really stupid things. I know that's a bit par for the course with these kind of movies, but I guess it just bugged me more in this.

Can you give some examples (in spoiler tags of course) of the stupid things the characters did that bothered you?

devilshalo
05-31-12, 03:11 PM
I would tour Chernobyl, but only if I could re-enact Ghillies in the Mist.

asianxcore
06-01-12, 06:36 PM
The girl I saw it with joked that they must have filmed in Detroit. Thought that was pretty funny, she may be a keeper haha.

Have either of you actually been to Detroit?

GoldenJCJ
06-01-12, 07:37 PM
Question for those who have already seen this. Does this movie involve ghosts or some sort of mutated people from the Chernobyl disaster?

I'm just curious. If it's a ghost story I'd be very interested, if it's blood thirsty nuclear mutants I may have to steer clear.

You can put the answer in spoilers...

DonnachaOne
06-01-12, 08:02 PM
Mutated people who didn't get out in time, protected by scientists trying to cure their "patients".

GoldenJCJ
06-01-12, 08:34 PM
^Damn it!

Thanks. :)

Osiris3657
06-01-12, 09:12 PM
Have either of you actually been to Detroit?

I don't need to have gone there to know it's a dump. The evidence is everywhere, from the photos, videos, and statistics showing absurd rates of unemployment and crime.

asianxcore
06-01-12, 11:53 PM
I don't need to have gone there to know it's a dump. The evidence is everywhere, from the photos, videos, and statistics showing absurd rates of unemployment and crime.

You don't need to tell me any of it, it's my hometown.

It's just funny that out of all the awful places in the world, most people tend to focus on Detroit. Flint, MI is just as bad as Detroit is.

Also not every part of Detroit is a dump, the ones the media chooses to solely focus on are. That's like saying San Francisco is a dump if you've only been to the Tenderloin.

^Damn it!

Thanks. :)

I think your post/reaction spoiled the film for me :lol:

dsa_shea
06-01-12, 11:55 PM
Mutated people who didn't get out in time, protected by scientists trying to cure their "patients".

Was that ever explained or are you just assuming that? I saw the movie and don't remember that even mentioned or alluded to.

What about if these were test subjects to see if the place is ready to be repopulated and it didn't work out? Or maybe they were previous visitors that were overexposed and were forced to stay. Also, what about those weird crawling baby/men?

Dragon Tattoo
06-02-12, 12:00 AM

And Texas is full of southern racists.

DonnachaOne
06-02-12, 03:20 AM
Was that ever explained or are you just assuming that? I saw the movie and don't remember that even mentioned or alluded to.

What about if these were test subjects to see if the place is ready to be repopulated and it didn't work out? Or maybe they were previous visitors that were overexposed and were forced to stay. Also, what about those weird crawling baby/men?I understand how you could assume that, given that the film's events aren't tied up in an explicit way. But... There's no evidence to suggest that they were repopulation test subjects, and since it's clear to everyone who visits that the radiation levels are unsafe for long-term visits, this is highly unlikely.

Also, it's pretty clear that overexposed visitors react differently to the mutants, with the visible effects of the tourists' radiation exposure notably different. While this was exacerbated by them being so close to the destroyed reactor, the mutants had no such ill effects.

The most logical solution is that the mutants were residents who could not be evacuated in time. This would allow for the apparent ages of the mutants, and given their apparent mental regression, their instinct to stay near Pripiyat. Those who sneak in and are surprised by the mutants either have to have evidence of their visit hidden by the troops or, if there are any survivors, have to be eliminated by them.

But, since we're some of the seemingly very few people who actually saw the film, let me end on a high note we can all agree on.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GgiwgSsIGoA/TuEQp47Wn3I/AAAAAAAAAdY/7vbFFcpBGt0/s1600/scary-bear.jpg

Osiris3657
06-02-12, 08:35 AM
You don't need to tell me any of it, it's my hometown.

It's just funny that out of all the awful places in the world, most people tend to focus on Detroit. Flint, MI is just as bad as Detroit is.

Also not every part of Detroit is a dump, the ones the media chooses to solely focus on are. That's like saying San Francisco is a dump if you've only been to the Tenderloin.

I think your post/reaction spoiled the film for me :lol:

I figured as much, nobody is as sensitive about their city as Detroit natives :lol:

I don't think all of Detroit is a rundown hellhole or that it's one of the most awful places in the world. But the statistics speak for themselves and Detroit is way behind all other major cities in the US. All the abandoned homes and businesses, the high unemployment rates, the low graduation rates, the high crime rates. The real estate market is an absolute joke. Also telling is the huge drop in population. It's a bad situation, I hope Detroit gets its act together.

SuckaMC
06-02-12, 01:44 PM
Surprised it took this long to post this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ny4a-oxOndo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PopcornTreeCt
06-02-12, 01:58 PM
^ That clip could've been about 50 seconds shorter.

SuckaMC
06-02-12, 02:13 PM
There ya go

PopcornTreeCt
06-02-12, 02:15 PM
Awesome.

MoviePage
11-04-12, 01:08 AM

Rented and watched this tonight, and the above summarizes my feelings if you replace "Trailer" with "Movie." There's absolutely nothing here we haven't already seen ten thousand times in horror films, except for the setting. I found it extremely boring.