Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Truck not starting... ongoing issue.

Artman
03-16-12, 12:17 AM
99 Tacoma,
Lights, radio come on but no clicks/sounds. This has happened four times in the last yr and a half, three in the last 4 months or so, tonight being the most recent. Jumps took a few tries to start, tonight I tried once and bagged it. Every time I've taken it to the dealer they say everything looks good. Getting really frustrated.... the symptoms would indicate a starter/wiring connection problem right?

The scenario's been the same each time... drive it 40-45min from work, try to start it 10-20min later and get nothing. Other than this it's been a great truck, no signs or symptoms of problems.

Superboy
03-16-12, 01:08 AM
You need a new alternator.

Artman
03-16-12, 01:59 AM
You need a new alternator.

Thanks, that does sound about right, reading up on it. I wonder why the dealer never brought up that possibility?

Psi
03-16-12, 05:00 AM
Check the connections to the battery posts also.

OldDude
03-16-12, 06:52 AM
If it starts with a jump, starter solenoid and starter are OK. It could be the alternator or battery, but if battery is charged enough for lights and radio, probably not.

Mostly likely and cheapest: battery post corrosion. Remove battery clamps, clean (use baking soda and water, buff with fine sandpaper, reconnect. You should be good to go. Be sure to connect the right clamp to the right post (or clean one at a time). Always do this first.

If that doesn't do it, the battery may be getting old, or you might have an alternator problem. You might check the accessories belt(s). In newer vehicles, one serpentine belt usually drives everything, but older cars might have a separate alternator belt. If loose, the alternator doesn't get driven by the belt.

focker
03-16-12, 11:15 AM
If it starts with a jump, starter solenoid and starter are OK. It could be the alternator or battery, but if battery is charged enough for lights and radio, probably not.

Mostly likely and cheapest: battery post corrosion. Remove battery clamps, clean (use baking soda and water, buff with fine sandpaper, reconnect. You should be good to go. Be sure to connect the right clamp to the right post (or clean one at a time). Always do this first.

If that doesn't do it, the battery may be getting old, or you might have an alternator problem. You might check the accessories belt(s). In newer vehicles, one serpentine belt usually drives everything, but older cars might have a separate alternator belt. If loose, the alternator doesn't get driven by the belt.

This is all good advice. Also, taking a car that old to the dealer for service is likely going to cost much more than a good independent mechanic.

Me007gold
03-16-12, 11:30 AM
Do you have a multimeter? whats the standing voltage of the battery?

Th0r S1mpson
03-16-12, 11:31 AM
This is what happens when you buy a truck named after such a smelly city.

twikoff
03-16-12, 11:34 AM
im cheap.. i normally start by going by autozone
those guys hook it up to the diagnostic and tell me if its the battery or alternator for free ;)

cungar
03-16-12, 11:44 AM
those guys hook it up to the diagnostic and tell me if its the battery or alternator for free ;)

Pretty much every mechanic I've ever been to does the diagnosis of something like that for free.

Artman
03-16-12, 11:48 AM
Well it started up this morning... why would it be fine for six weeks and than just decide to not start?

4KRG
03-16-12, 11:53 AM
My old Camry did this same exact thing. It is the battery terminals, battery cables, or the contacts inside the starter that connect it to the battery cables.

I ended up replacing my battery terminals and contacts inside the starter to finally fix the problem. It was totally random, but more common on colder mornings.

Sometimes if I held the key down in the start position for 2 minutes or so, there would be no clicks or anything, then boom it would start.

TomOpus
03-16-12, 11:57 AM
Check the connections to the battery posts also.This

If that doesn't do it, the battery may be getting old, or you might have an alternator problem. You might check the accessories belt(s). In newer vehicles, one serpentine belt usually drives everything, but older cars might have a separate alternator belt. If loose, the alternator doesn't get driven by the belt.This

those guys hook it up to the diagnostic and tell me if its the battery or alternator for free ;)I'm surprised OldDude didn't mention this. Not about twikoff being cheap but about going to Autozone :)

I had a similar problem. I'd turn the key and would get dashboard lights and everything seemed fine until I would turn the key further to start it. Nothing. I'd check the battery cables to make sure they weren't loose and then it would start. Problem happened a couple more times. I discovered there was several wires connected to the negative cable and one (it was black and wasn't sure what it went to) that was loose. A good tightening and it never happened again.

twikoff
03-16-12, 01:42 PM
Pretty much every mechanic I've ever been to does the diagnosis of something like that for free.

pretty much every mechanic I've ever heard of, charges $35 standard to hook it up to the diag machine

if you found mechanics willing to do it for free, you should keep using them

Artman
03-16-12, 10:19 PM
I also had a starter override ignition, which I had removed today at car toys (those guys are sharks, lol!). It was like that when I bought the truck, you had to pull the high beam switch to start it. That'll eliminate one possibility at least.