Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Discovery Networks (Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Science) coming to Amazon Prime

Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Discovery Networks (Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Science) coming to Amazon Prime

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

From Amazon's front page:

Dear Customers,

Today we’re announcing our biggest addition yet, bringing nearly 3,000 more titles to Prime Instant Video. We’ve struck a deal with Discovery Networks to bring some of the highest quality, non-fiction, informative and entertaining content about the world to our Amazon Prime customers. Rolling out over the next few weeks are TV shows from Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, and Science. Prime members, at no additional cost, can now stream more than 17,000 titles.

The new titles include hits such as Deadliest Catch, Mythbusters, Man vs. Wild, Dirty Jobs, Gold Rush: Alaska, and Shark Week, TLC series like Say Yes to the Dress and Cake Boss, as well as content like How It’s Made from Science, and The Jeff Corwin Experience from Animal Planet.
I'm not a huge fan of their programming (I prefer scripted shows), but I have been known to lose hours to Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, and of course, Shark Week. And I do like their seasonal specials around Halloween and Christmas - hopefully, those will be included.
Old 03-14-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Discovery Networks (Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Science) coming to Amazon Prim

Yeah this doesn't do much for me. I usually only watch Discovery if there is a good documentary on.
Old 03-14-12, 11:13 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Discovery Networks (Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Science) coming to Amazon Prim

I think Mythbusters is the only show on those networks that appeals to me.

Unfortunately, Netflix already has this content. So it doesn't really do anything for me. I wish Amazon would get aggressive and license some stuff nobody else has yet. I'd love to see them get their hands on the Scripps Network content (Travel Channel, Food Network, HGTV).
Old 03-15-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Unfortunately, Netflix already has this content. So it doesn't really do anything for me. I wish Amazon would get aggressive and license some stuff nobody else has yet. I'd love to see them get their hands on the Scripps Network content (Travel Channel, Food Network, HGTV).
I could totally get behind that. While I love Good Eats and No Reservations, there are a lot of episodes of each that I haven't seen. It would also be fun to wax nostalgic for when Emeril ruled the land.
Old 03-15-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Netflix already has back seasons of No Reservations, Man vs. Food and Bizarre Foods. However, they are 2 years behind on the content.

They are losing Bizarre Foods in 2 days.

Amazon used to sell Travel Channel content, but for some reason all of it was pulled.
Old 03-15-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

"Biggest" meaning number of titles, obviously